Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #3551
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Inglorious Basterds - 9/10

Am I the only one on the face of the Planet that thought Pulp Fiction sucked?

NO!!! I hate that movie, but love every other Tarintino movie. I want to see this one, but I think'll take a lot to top Kill Bill for me.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #3552
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wife and I went to see District 9 on Saturday night. I think about 15 minutes into the movie she had her "what in the world did you just take me to see" face on. By the time the movie was over and we were leaving, I think she warmed up to the point of thinking it was an "ok" movie and not complete waste of time and money.

As for me, I thought it was fine. I think I was a victim of too high of expectations. From everyone saying how wonderful of a movie it was, I was expecting greatness. In the end, I felt it was a unique movie, a neat idea that wasn't like the norm. For pure entertainment value though, it was just simply ok. If I hadn't gone in thinking it was so wonderful I probably would have enjoyed it more I think.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #3553
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
NO!!! I hate that movie, but love every other Tarintino movie. I want to see this one, but I think'll take a lot to top Kill Bill for me.

Just go see it, pretend you didn't read any of the reviews!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #3554
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Wife and I went to see District 9 on Saturday night. I think about 15 minutes into the movie she had her "what in the world did you just take me to see" face on. By the time the movie was over and we were leaving, I think she warmed up to the point of thinking it was an "ok" movie and not complete waste of time and money.

As for me, I thought it was fine. I think I was a victim of too high of expectations. From everyone saying how wonderful of a movie it was, I was expecting greatness. In the end, I felt it was a unique movie, a neat idea that wasn't like the norm. For pure entertainment value though, it was just simply ok. If I hadn't gone in thinking it was so wonderful I probably would have enjoyed it more I think.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #3555
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think Ong Bak II is coming out next month, IIRC.

Haven't checked this out yet, but I enjoy good martial arts flicks. SOunds like I should take a look at this one.

Definitely. If u have Netflix, it's on their Watch Instantly feature so make sure u add it as soon as u finish reading this post
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #3556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh heh, like I said, if it's quality, make it as long as you like!

Only if you can outfit me with a larger bladder .
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #3557
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough."
Roger Ebert

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #3558
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Adventureland - 6/10

I got all hyped up about this by listening to the BS Report which had Bill Hader, whom I think is awesome, as the guest. Unfortunately the movie has about 3 minutes of Bill Hader and 100 minutes of some dude trying to be Michael Cera but not pulling it off. Overall a pretty middling movie, standard rom-com type of plot, but without much actual com. Disappointing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 09-14-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: formatting
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #3559
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bull. I say longer movie, and leave all the Shoshanna stuff in. If a movie's well done, don't much matter how long it is. I coulda watched a longer Inglorious Basterds and been perfectly fine. I think I said after I saw it, too, that (like Lorena), I was disappointed not to see more Basterd footage behind the lines.

To me, this is the failure of this movie...it's like a bit Patton Oswalt uses in his stand-up about a heroin junkie who did stand-up, he'd do the set-up and exposition but he would passout during the bit and he's merging three diffent bits into one long rambling bit. But as Patton would say, the guy killed.

Back to Basterds and you see the same thing, there are 3 distinct storylines: Shoshana, Basterds, Operation Kino that all kind of mash-up by the end, but you really miss out on alot of the story. Much like the junkie, the movie is oddly fascinating, I mean you have the 1st chapter as a Western set-up alone, the 2nd chapter was very much in the vein of a WW2 flick, the 3rd act seemed to me at least when the big face is on the movie screen to echo "1984" in a way.

The coolest scene for me was when Eli Roth's character comes out of the darkness with bat in hand and points to the German sergeant about his medal. "For bravery" the sergeant says (mind you before this he was steadfastly defiant in giving away any information), and then Roth proceeds to bash him apart. To me, that was the defining statement aside from Shoshana's kiss-off to the Nazis, which is it doesn't matter who you are, you are going to pay, and it doesn't matter if you are nobel, brave, cowardly or deceitful, if you wore a Nazi uniform you were getting it one way or another.

I liked the movie, I just think that it was just a series of big scenes connected by a rather unimportant plot.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #3560
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I liked the movie, I just think that it was just a series of big scenes connected by a rather unimportant plot.

Well that's kinda Tarentino's way.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #3561
boberot
High School Varsity

Tootsie [9/10]

Practically the perfect comedy. Dustin Hoffman's acting is tremendous. And, even though I see it every few years or so, I always seem to forget that Bill Murray is in it and is really damn funny.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #3562
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
I think Ong Bak II is coming out next month, IIRC.

Haven't checked this out yet, but I enjoy good martial arts flicks. SOunds like I should take a look at this one.

btw, if you haven't seen the movie, check out the making of Ong Bak:

Last edited by Lorena : 09-15-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #3563
RainMaker
General Manager

Gran Torino (9.5 out of 10) - Just a great movie with every scene being well done and with meaning. Eastwood is still a legend and the story was perfect for him. Loved every minute of it and it's one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #3564
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Ong Bak is the shiznit.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #3565
Pyser
Pro Rookie

informant - 4/10

boring. damon was good though.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #3566
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Gran Torino (9.5 out of 10) - Just a great movie with every scene being well done and with meaning. Eastwood is still a legend and the story was perfect for him. Loved every minute of it and it's one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

Agreed, got a kick out of all his one liners. Favorite was "get me a another beer, Dragon lady! This ones empty."
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #3567
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Lives of Others -

One of the best movies I've seen in recent years. For just over two hours I almost felt like I might know what it would have been like to have lived in the GDR. I really liked the characters, especially Wiesler as he changed/learned more about the mission through the course of the movie.

Inglorious Basterds -

This was also quite good. Lots of tense and dramatic scenes (loved the opening scene at the farm in France and the one in the bar with the actress, soldiers, and officers) with some good action stuff mixed in here and there and some laughs as well. Jackie Brown is still my favorite Tarantino movie but this tied for second with a few others that I enjoyed. Spoiler:

Spoiler
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #3568
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father [10/10]

I stumbled upon this while browsing Netflix Watch Instantly. I really feel that it is best to watch this documentary knowing as little as possible about the film/case. Basically the story is about a film maker who's friend is murdered. The film maker decides to document his friends life as sort of a last good bye. That's all I will say. The film was astonishing.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #3569
boberot
High School Varsity

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [8 of 10]

Well, I'll be damned. I really, really, didn't want to see this. [We were going for a family outing to see "Nine," but my daughter got cold feet at the last minute thinking it would be too scary -- this was the consolation prize.]

I haven't seen a 3-D movie in decades, and it was impressive not in the stuff-flying-at-your-face aspect as much as the amazing illusion of depth that was achieved in the animation.

Beyond that, it was just funny. Likable characters. Brisk pace. Very good vocal performances. James Caan was good and Mr. T was spot-on. This wasn't 'let's throw Mr. T a bone' -- he really sold his character and made him one of the most appealing in the whole movie.

For a movie that I was sure I would despise, it was very pleasantly surprising. The whole drive home and even in the following days, we would randomly throw out our favorite lines from the movie and crack each other up. Can't ask for much more than that.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #3570
Bad-example
College Starter

Stardust 7/10

I watched about 40 seconds before saying to myself, "This must be a Neil Gaiman movie". And I was right, which meant slick visuals. Surprisingly, I liked this one. It really felt like they had too much material for a two-hour film. I had the feeling a lot of stuff was left on the cutting room floor, including the majority of Ian McKellans narration.

As always with Gaiman, I was left thinking it could have been much more but was just lacking. The flow was uneven. Still, some fantastic visuals, plus Robert DeNiro in a crazy funny role, make this one worth a look.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #3571
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Valkyrie (8 / 10): A really enjoyable experience that was (if my memory serves) stays pretty close to the actual story. My knowledge of the incident comes from reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich a few years ago, but I seem to recall the incident being described pretty much as it was portrayed in the movie. Cruise' performance was quite good, but for me it was the supporting cast that really shined. Bill Nighy (Olbrecht) and Terence Stamp (Beck) were good, and Tom Wilkinson (Fromm) was his usual brilliant self (he's rapidly moving up my list of under-appreciated actors). Kenneth Branagh (von Tresckow) and Eddie Izzard (Fellgiebel) were both good as well, but suffered from a lack of screen-time. I really wish they'd found a way to get Branagh on screen more...the guy is amazing. The pacing of the movie felt a little off in spots, but I thought it did a good job of capturing the reasons the key players had in participating in the plot, as well as capturing the tension of the event itself. If you're interested in WW2 history and like a little intrigue, give this one a look-see.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 09-24-2009 at 10:30 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #3572
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks View Post
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father [10/10]

I stumbled upon this while browsing Netflix Watch Instantly. I really feel that it is best to watch this documentary knowing as little as possible about the film/case. Basically the story is about a film maker who's friend is murdered. The film maker decides to document his friends life as sort of a last good bye. That's all I will say. The film was astonishing.

On your recommendation, I saw this. Absolutely amazing and compelling documentary. It's kind of raw but I think that actually makes it more real. Without giving anything away, I'll say that it's nearly 3am and I can't sleep since I saw it. My jaw was wide open half the movie. I was sad, I was happy, it's a roller coaster ride of emotions that few movies have ever come close to hitting me emotionally.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father - 10 out of 10
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #3573
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Changeling (7/10): Normally I'm not a big fan of Angelina Jolie (except in an eye-candy sort of way), but I have to say that she was absolutely Oscar-nomination worthy in this film. A compelling tale that really jerks on your heart-strings in spots, and as a period piece I thought it was extremely well-done. My only real knock on the movie is its pacing (I have issues with pacing in a lot of movies that Eastwood directs for some reason). Worth checking out.

The Eagle Has Landed (8/10): An interesting WW2 movie I caught over the weekend on Netflix On-Demand. Without giving too much away, German intelligence decides that, after the success of Scorzeny's commando raid to bring Mussolini to Germany (a heck of a story in its own right, and one I'm still waiting to see done justice on the screen), an attempt to kidnap Winston Churchill is in order. Two things really stood out to me in this one; first, the story is told almost entirely from the German point-of-view. Second, Donald Sutherland is absolutely brilliant. He completely out-shines a couple of other big names in this one (Robert Duvall and Michael Caine).
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #3574
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Lots of 7's and 8's for me lately. A lot of decent, entertaining movies, but I haven't seen anything earth-shattering (in a good or bad way) in a while now it seems.

Australia (7/10):
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this one, but the previews I had seen some time ago looked intriguing enough to make me put it into my Netflix queue. What I hoped for was a story that I would find compelling and would teach me something about a nation I know very little about. On both of those accounts the movie delivered some quality, but on neither account did it completely blow me away. The acting I found decent, but none of the performances really stood out to me.

What did impress me, however, was the backdrop. Even just sitting at home in my living room, some of the scenery in the film was awe-inspiring, and the camera work does a good job of showing you just how massive the land truly is. "Wide-open spaces" doesn't even begin to describe it. Makes me wish I'd seen this one in the theater.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #3575
Schmidty
Coordinator

Kill Bill (1&2) - 10/10

Even though I've seen it like 10 times or more, I still think it's one of the best movies that I've seen. Whenever it's on, I have to stop and watch it.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #3576
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Capitalism: A Love Story - 9/10

Thanks, Reagan, you dumb puppet.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #3577
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Kill Bill (1&2) - 10/10

Even though I've seen it like 10 times or more, I still think it's one of the best movies that I've seen. Whenever it's on, I have to stop and watch it.

Amen.

I don't think I could ever get tired of either movie.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #3578
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hrm, actually, on the topic of Kill Bill...

Tarantino Promises Kill Bill 3 | /Film
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #3579
Schmidty
Coordinator

That would be so fucking awesome.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #3580
NewIdentity
High School JV

Anyone going to catch the Toy Story 3D double feature this weekend? Hard to believe it has been nearly 15 years since Toy Story was relased.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #3581
Swaggs
Coordinator

Zombieland -- 10/10

I posted this in the zombie thread, but will share. First of all, this is probably the first 10 I have given in this thread, so to clarify, Zombieland isn't Citizen Kane or the Godfather, but it was really well acted, had some of the best dialogue in a film that I have seen since in quite awhile, and had me completely engrossed in the movie from the very first scene. I don't know that I have ever seen a movie that had the following two things: 1.) multiple lines that made the entire audience laugh so loud that you actually missed whatever was said afterward and 2.) multiple scenes that made me jump from surprise.

It also had, in my opinion, one of the best cameos that I have ever seen in a movie. I won't spoil it, but I certainly didn't see it coming at all and it completely killed the crowd. And, the Eddie Van Halen (not the cameo -- not much, if any, of a spoiler without context) line was classic.

Woody Harrelson was awesome -- hopefully his career gets a bit of a restart from this. He was perfectly ridiculous without being over the top, in my opinion. There was even some romantic comedy.

Just a really good, entertaining, funny horror movie. I'd recommend it to anyone over the age of 13 or 14.

Last edited by Swaggs : 10-03-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #3582
Schmidty
Coordinator

Management - 8

I generally dislike romantic comedies, so I was surprised to find myself really enjoying this one. Very quirky, and kind of creepy in a way, but really interesting and entertaining. Steve Zahn was unbelievable, and Aniston was very low-key in a good way.

My wife and I really liked it. She's going to watch it again later. I won't, but it was still good.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #3583
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whip It- 7/10

Good flick, typical Ellen Page but there were definantly some funny moments and characters.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #3584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lets see-

Adventureland 6.5/10 It was simply okay, but I overrate it a bit cause it was filmed in Kennywood. I knew it wouldn't crack a 7 when the first scene Kristen Stewart was in and should have been naked, she wasn't.

Darjeeling Limited 7/10- I really like Wes Anderson films. I just think maybe there wasn't enough stuff going on. And the idea wasn't fleshed out enough. Hard to explain why it wasn't better, but it did have it's moments. Liked it less than Rushmore, Tennenbaums and Life Aquatic.

Role Models 8/10 Really funny stuff. Although I guess watching it I kept thinking I'd rather be watching 40 Year Old Virgin, or Superbad instead. But still had enough moments to really make me laugh.

Brazil -/- Started a thread about it, but basically, in short, I couldn't finish it. Will revisit it another time.

Last edited by stevew : 10-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #3585
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Julie & Julia 7/10

Saw this over the weekend with the wife. Obviously it isn't for everyone (including a good number of action-oriented guys), but it was a very entertaining movie with the acting by Tucci & Streep especially good. In fact I think I agree with the NYT review which said they'd have liked the film even more if they dispensed with the "Julie" plot and just did the "Julia" part.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Zombieland 9/10

Maybe the only thing preventing a 10/10 for me was a combination of too high expectations & the run time (81 mins IIRC) being a little short.

I came away thinking the real strength must just be that everyone knew what kind of movie they wanted to make & then they made it. Instead of trying to do too much or reach too far, I feel like they probably came away from the finished product feeling they had nailed what they set out to do.

Well written, effective use of both the voiceovers & the recurring on-screen caption gimmicks, and a good use of simple techniques to allow them to work within a relatively small budget without ever feeling cheap at all. Also a great call on the pretty much instant immersion opening, right down to the choice of background song to get the energy flowing & put the audience in the mood for the ride that follows.

A couple of very small niggles of the goofs variety, which I can mention without spoiling anything. The state patrol cars briefly seen on the abandoned interstate are pretty clearly retired Georgia cars, not Texas (which didn't really bother me) and Abigail Breslin isn't pulling the trigger during most of the "21 gun salute" scene which actually did bother me in that noticing it kind of pulled me out of the movie for a minute.

I see where the writers are already talking about their interest (and reportedly the actors' interest as well) in doing a sequel. That has disappointment written all over it to me, as it would undoubtedly have a much bigger budget which I suspect would lead to the followup feeling a lot more contrived & a lot less crisp, clean, and uncluttered.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-07-2009 at 07:21 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #3587
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Reservoir Dogs - 6/10: Maybe it was all the hype, but I thought the movie was merely ok. I like other Tarentino films much better, because I think they play with movie conventions much more. There was definitely some great drama in merely the walls of the warehouse. And there was plenty of Tarantino hallmarks, from the trunk shot, to the violence, language, and interesting camera angles. But all, in all, good, but not great.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #3588
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Sukiyaki Western Django - 7.5/10

OK, this is a pretty ridiculous movie. It's basically a spoof on the Spaghetti Western genre, directed by Takashi Miike, and is a cowboy movie set in Japan. All the actors are Japanese and speak English in horribly accented voices to spoof the Italian movies of the 70s - thank god for subtitles on the DVD release, can't imagine seeing this in the cinema without them - and it even has Quentin Tarrantino playing a gunslinger for about 15 mins of screen time. Completely over the top violence and storyline, but an enjoyable viewing experience.

I thought this movie was terrible and extremely boring. I got that it was supposed to be satirical, but to me, it was just plain bad.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #3589
JediKooter
Coordinator

Saw Zombieland again at lunch the other day. Still just as good and as funny as the first time.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #3590
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I thought this movie was terrible and extremely boring. I got that it was supposed to be satirical, but to me, it was just plain bad.

I had the same response...and I've made it through plenty of weird/shitty Miike movies. On the other hand, I watched 'Deadly Outlaw Rekka' a couple days ago, and that was awesome....comes off like Miike's take/homage on '80s Hong Kong action/John Woo.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #3591
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I don't know if you're familiar with the history of the samurai movie and the western - Kurosawa borrowing heavily from the Westerns (Leone in particular), and then the Westerns borrowing heavily from the samurai films (Magnificent Seven, Fist Full of Dollars, etc.), but this was basically spoofing that, and no doubt my familiarity with all that played a big part in me liking this movie, but also the fact that Miike rather ridiculously set it against the backdrop of the Gempei War as well!

It's not for everyone, certainly. I can't imagine ever lending it to any of my friends to watch, that's fo' sho'.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #3592
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't know if you're familiar with the history of the samurai movie and the western - Kurosawa borrowing heavily from the Westerns (Leone in particular)

Spaghetti Westerns, and Leone in particular, borrowed from Kurosawa, but it was pretty much a one way street. Case in point, Fistful of Dollars was Leone's first Western, and Kurosawa sued him for stealing his plot.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #3593
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Spaghetti Westerns, and Leone in particular, borrowed from Kurosawa, but it was pretty much a one way street. Case in point, Fistful of Dollars was Leone's first Western, and Kurosawa sued him for stealing his plot.

Kurosawa was a massive fan of Leone's, and he borrowed various plot settings and scene ideas from some of his films, as well as from other Westerns. Leone, however, just pretty much ripped off Yojimbo.

Kurosawa was flattered, but also rightfully peeved as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #3594
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Zombieland - 9/10

I finally saw this over the weekend. I had as good a time watching that movie as I have had in a theater in quite a while. I laughed out loud multiple times and had a smile on my face throughout. Sure, some things didn't make sense and it was a little lite on the zombies at times, but that didn't matter. Great zombie kills. Good characters. Great music. Great dialogue. Definitely a classic and worthy member of the zombie movie cannon.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #3595
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Zombieland - 9/10

I finally saw this over the weekend. I had as good a time watching that movie as I have had in a theater in quite a while. I laughed out loud multiple times and had a smile on my face throughout. Sure, some things didn't make sense and it was a little lite on the zombies at times, but that didn't matter. Great zombie kills. Good characters. Great music. Great dialogue. Definitely a classic and worthy member of the zombie movie cannon.

Was it at the Pladium? Lately I cannot stand seeing movies there, it just seems like they do everything they can to let obnoxious teenagers in. The 8 on the other hand has always been good. If it's at the 8 I will be seeing this soon, otherwise I'll wait and go during the day at the Pladium.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #3596
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Was it at the Pladium? Lately I cannot stand seeing movies there, it just seems like they do everything they can to let obnoxious teenagers in. The 8 on the other hand has always been good. If it's at the 8 I will be seeing this soon, otherwise I'll wait and go during the day at the Pladium.

It was at the Paladium. I love the theaters there. Great sound and comfy seats. I have simple rules about going there, however. I never go opening weekend and I always see matinees or go on weeknights. Following these simple rules, the crowd in the theater tends to be very, very sparse and I've never had the obnoxious teenager problem.

I am very wary of the later problem, because ever since I was a teenager I've hated Birmingham because of obnoxious teenagers. Those feelings have not changed.

Apparently, they are going to build a brand new multi-plex/bowling alley right next to the Main Art theater in Royal Oak. I am definitely looking forward to that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #3597
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I saw Zombieland over the weekend, and have to agree with pretty much everything that's been said already. For what it is, it is done extremely well. This has replaced Shaun of the Dead as my favorite zombie humor movie.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #3598
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have been following Paranormal Activity since late September. It was filmed for only $15,000 and being hailed as one of the scariest movies ever. Watch this trailer and tell me what you think.

Paranormal Activity (2009) | Official Movie Site & Trailer

Because of the phenomenal demand, it is going into wide release this weekend.

Here's the wiki (with spoilers) on this. It could be the most profitable movie of all time, I think.

Paranormal Activity (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #3599
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I have been following Paranormal Activity since late September. It was filmed for only $15,000 and being hailed as one of the scariest movies ever. Watch this trailer and tell me what you think.

Paranormal Activity (2009) | Official Movie Site & Trailer

Because of the phenomenal demand, it is going into wide release this weekend.

Here's the wiki (with spoilers) on this. It could be the most profitable movie of all time, I think.

Paranormal Activity (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I probably won't get a chance to see this in a theater, due to the newborn, but I've been keeping an eye on this one, as well. It did over $49,000 per screen this past weekend (next closest per screen, that showed on more than 25 screens was Couples Retreat with a little over $11K per) and made almost $8-million on just 160 screens.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #3600
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Pretty amazing how it made back its budget in triplicate per screen. That's a pretty massive return on investment there.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote