Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #3551
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Did any of the people currently demanding refunds read any reviews of the game before they bought it?

There haven't been any "official" reviews out yet.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #3552
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did any of the people currently demanding refunds read any reviews of the game before they bought it?

lol....unfortunately there are no reviews for Maximum Football.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #3553
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I should have looked at the sticky at the top of their forum.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Rutins
Matrix Games March Refund Offer

Due to an error in our online store, it has come to our attention that some customers in the US, Canada, Australia stores may have seen a different refund policy than our standard "sales are final" policy which we've had for years. We want to make sure that we deal with our customers fairly and because of this store error we are offering a one-time refund window. If you are interested in a refund on your copy of Maximum-Football purchased from March 1st through March 23rd, please read the below carefully to make sure your refund request is processed smoothly.

1. You must have placed the order between March 1st and March 23rd via the US, Canada or Australia store in order for this offer to apply. The UK and Europe stores have an existing 14 day refund policy which has been and remains in effect. If you placed your order through the UK or Europe stores, the standard policy applies.

2. Write an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information (very important!):

Subject: March Refund Offer

Your Name
Your Order Number
The name of the product you are requesting a refund for
Whether this is for a physical (boxed) copy or a digital download

3. In the case of a digital download refund, you will be asked to provide us with a statement that you will delete the product entirely from your system, including the serial key and not share it or transfer it to anyone else. You will be asked to confirm that you have not done this or sold the product to anyone else since the time of purchase. Once we have this statement, your refund will be processed.

4. In the case of a physical (boxed) copy refund, you will be asked to mail the product back to us, including a printout of the e-mail with your order info and refund request in the mailing. Once we receive the product with your order info, your refund will be processed.

5. All refund requests must be received by March 31st to be eligible for this offer. Any requests received after 5PM EST, March 31st will be ineligible for this offer. If you send in a refund request and do not receive confirmation that it has been received before this deadline, please re-send it to make sure that it has not been intercepted by a spam filter along the way.

To be clear, outside this one-time offer our policy remains the following for the time being:

US, Canada, Australia - All Sales are Final (except in the case of a physical defect or does not run)
UK and Europe - 14 day refund policy

We are working with Digital River to ascertain the exact legal requirements that resulted in the change to our UK and Europe refund policy. Once are certain of these parameters, we will update our store refund policy accordingly. We will also be updating the store pages to make access to our terms and conditions more obvious during the ordering process.

Regards,

- Erik

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-23-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM   #3554
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd
Who rattled your cage? I didn't realize that "Galactic Civilizations" was camoflaging the name of the game.

The discussion was about demos, particularly from strategy dev/publishers, the market Matrix is primarily competing in. It's irrelevant how good/bad the game might be, the point was, it was released without a demo and without the possibility of a refund, something which I was trying to point out was not unique in this genre.

And who pissed in your Wheaties? If you're going to go to the bother of typing out Galactic Civilizations, it's obviously a HUGE saving of time to leave off "2". By the way, there's also a demo for Galactic Civilizations.

You also score in the "missed the point completely" column for ignoring the point that Stardock is putting out a demo of GC2, and your example, is, therefore, crap.

If you'd actually paid any attention to GC2 and read the forums, you'd find several instances of people having trouble getting the game to work, the lead developer trying to help them, and in extremis, said developer referring them to the support address to request a refund. So the no refund idea falls flat too.

And for double bonus points in the same column, it's entirely relevant that Stardock is enjoying a huge success with GC2 and still recognizes the need for a demo when the whole point of the back-and-forth was whether a demo was necessary in the field. If you can't see that it's germane that a major small-development house believes that demos are a necessary evil, then what's the point? Just say that Denny's doesn't demo their new breakfast platter and have done.

4-nil.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #3555
spcd
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig
And who pissed in your Wheaties? If you're going to go to the bother of typing out Galactic Civilizations, it's obviously a HUGE saving of time to leave off "2". By the way, there's also a demo for Galactic Civilizations.
Had no idea you could be so offended by me missing off the 2. Maybe you need to put your sense of righteous indignation in perspective.

Quote:
You also score in the "missed the point completely" column for ignoring the point that Stardock is putting out a demo of GC2, and your example, is, therefore, crap.
No. The game has been released. It doesn't matter if the demo is planned or not, currently, MF and GalCiv2 (hope that was better) have an equal number of demos. The point was never planned demos, possible demos next month/week/year, but actual real demos.

Quote:
If you'd actually paid any attention to GC2 and read the forums, you'd find several instances of people having trouble getting the game to work, the lead developer trying to help them, and in extremis, said developer referring them to the support address to request a refund. So the no refund idea falls flat too.
Can you get a refund if you simply think the game is crap? That seems to be the most obvious reason for getting one for MF, as it seems that MF at least starts up and works as it was "designed."

Using Stardock's inability to get a game working as an example of their peachiness is probably not what you intended, but thanks for making the point that GalCiv appears flawed and bug ridden for some people too.
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #3556
st.cronin
General Manager

And with the flamewar, this thread is now complete.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #3557
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

No....it can't end this way, but I am too afraid to think you are right. Thanks for pointing it out a**hole!

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-24-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #3558
Antmeister
Pro Starter

While I don't understand the escalation of anger between spcd and Brilling, I do want to say that there are competing business models with Matrix. TotalGaming.net is a great example of this.

I agree that at the current time, Galactic Civ II, doesn't have a demo and it somewhat (only somewhat) parallels with MF. However, if you check out the site that publishes their game, providing a demo seems to be more of a rule, than an exception. With all of the other games on that site, there is a demo. On top of that, there is no DRM. Plus I can pay $70 to buy $100 worth of games.

If more developers start using TotalGaming, Matrix would have no choice but to change their business model. But I do agree that the reason they don't feel they have to do so is because they have wrapped up a lot of good wargames and at this current time, that is their best seller. But much like stock, if they don't diversify, they are are really going to suffer in the long term.

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-24-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #3559
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
lol....unfortunately there are no reviews for Maximum Football.

you would think that might be a red flag
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #3560
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
you would think that might be a red flag

For me and you, yes. But it just came out and impulsive people will purchase something if a developer or publisher has a good track record. In this case, the developer had a bad track record and the developer had a good one. I think most people thought the publsiher's track record would trump the other.

Don't get me wrong, I don't quite understand the risk, but there are a lot of people hard up for a replacement for FBPro 98.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #3561
SunDevil
College Prospect

[quote= Don't get me wrong, I don't quite understand the risk, but there are a lot of people hard up for a replacement for FBPro 98.[/QUOTE]

And apparently one persons response on being hard up for a replacement for FBPro 98 is to take 7 years developing a shitty game, and marrying someone like Jennifer...

Of course for the unfortunate few, they are being offered a refund.

Last edited by SunDevil : 03-24-2006 at 04:26 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #3562
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
And apparently one persons response on being hard up for a replacement for FBPro 98 is to take 7 years developing a shitty game, and marrying someone like Jennifer...
and BOOM goes the dynamite...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #3563
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd
Can you get a refund if you simply think the game is crap? That seems to be the most obvious reason for getting one for MF, as it seems that MF at least starts up and works as it was "designed."

Using Stardock's inability to get a game working as an example of their peachiness is probably not what you intended, but thanks for making the point that GalCiv appears flawed and bug ridden for some people too.

Yes, you can. Stardock will give you a 75% refund within the first 60 days or so. "If you are not willing to work with technical support on any problems you are having, or request a refund even if you are not having problems using the software, we will issue a partial refund only. We will charge a fee of 25% of the original charge to cover processing fees."

http://www.stardock.com/stardock/sds_returns.html
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:56 PM   #3564
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

For $49.99.. my dad will beat your dad up.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #3565
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Yes, you can. Stardock will give you a 75% refund within the first 60 days or so. "If you are not willing to work with technical support on any problems you are having, or request a refund even if you are not having problems using the software, we will issue a partial refund only. We will charge a fee of 25% of the original charge to cover processing fees."

http://www.stardock.com/stardock/sds_returns.html

Thanks Blackadar, I didn't know that myself.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #3566
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
For $49.99.. my dad will beat your dad up.

Tom Brady is your daddy.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #3567
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't recall anyone being Godwined in this thread, so it is very far from being complete.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #3568
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

It can't be a forced one in response to my posting to count.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:05 AM   #3569
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
I don't recall anyone being Godwined in this thread, so it is very far from being complete.

Look, if the thread is complete, the thread is complete. You don't have to be such a freaking Nazi about Godwin's Law.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #3570
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Look, if the thread is complete, the thread is complete. You don't have to be such a freaking Nazi about Godwin's Law.
LOL - or dare I say LOL-ocaust.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #3571
digamma
Torchbearer

The AI seems to be coming along just fine.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #3572
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

29 punts for 0 yards? Am I reading this right?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #3573
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm laughing more at the 35 completions out of 112 attempts for the winning team, and the 15.2 yards per carry on 25 freakin' carries...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #3574
CraigSca
Pro Starter

You have to give credit to the coach of Calgary. Even though he was ahead from the get-go, he didn't let that stop him from calling "pass" 112 times.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #3575
Brillig
College Prospect

What moron has a running game averaging 15 yards a carry and yet still kicks field goals and punts?

132 passes thrown, zero interceptions....

137 plays run by Calgary in 36:08, that's... 16 seconds a play. I guess it really *does* save a lot of time when the wide recievers can teleport back to the line of scrimmage after a long downfield route.

Hmm.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #3576
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quarterback must have been calling his own plays...even if he tossed like, 7 TDs, that's a sub-70 rating. That Jim Brown clone in the backfild must be pissed.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:04 PM   #3577
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I don't think they should be showing anymore screenshots or videos. That's what got this thread to over 70 pages. Everytime I think that are at least reaching a corner, I see screenies like this. I am not surprised it is in the game. I am more surprised that people are proudly showing off these shots and saying how wonderful the game is.

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-26-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #3578
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

They must also still have some rounding issues since the total time of possession was 60:04.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #3579
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I don't they should be showing anymore screenshots or videos. That's what got this thread to over 70 pages. Everytime I think that are at least reaching a corner, I see screenies like this. I am not surprised it is in the game. I am more surprised that people are proudly showing off these shots and saying how wonderful the game is.

Wait...so that was a screenshot posted by the MF guys? It wasn't someone trying to point out a bug or something?

Wow.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #3580
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
They must also still have some rounding issues since the total time of possession was 60:04.

Don't forget about the Canadian exchange rate and all...

Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #3581
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, I knew the value of our stuff was going down, but if our minute is only worth 1.001 Canadian minutes, something is really wrong. Maybe we should start cracking down on illegal immegration or something.

Last edited by BrianD : 03-26-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #3582
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Wait...so that was a screenshot posted by the MF guys? It wasn't someone trying to point out a bug or something?

Wow.

No, it was by someone on their forum asking what settings you needed to use to get reasonable stats.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #3583
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
No, it was by someone on their forum asking what settings you needed to use to get reasonable stats.

I've heard that going with 30 second quarters gets you a reasonable score.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #3584
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Now looking at the top portion, the stats look loosely realistic, but then when you see how many people rushed the ball, it boggles the mind:

Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #3585
Antmeister
Pro Starter

And yes, there is a problem with the game calculating punts, but I think the next patch (on Monday or Tuesday) is going to address stuff like this. At least that is what Erik said. Wow!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #3586
JeeberD
General Manager

Punts are the least of my worries when looking at that screenie...

-15 passing yards on 17 completions?

Last edited by JeeberD : 03-26-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #3587
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Even getting sacked eight times that's one fucked up stat line...

Old 03-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #3588
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Yep at look at and completion percentage, especially when you pass it 85 times and yet you still have the time to rush it 33 times for 382 yards. I wish he would have posted how many people carried the ball.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #3589
JeeberD
General Manager

It looks like Ike Settles found a home in Toronto.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #3590
Antmeister
Pro Starter

But what is also strange is that with that horrible offensive performance, they were still able to have 7 field goal tries. Yet they make only one. How were they ever in field goal range?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #3591
Franklinnoble
Banned

Here... now it makes more sense:

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #3592
Antmeister
Pro Starter

lol.....so Ditka is even powerful enough to mess up the time of possession as well.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #3593
JeeberD
General Manager

Har!

Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #3594
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
lol.....so Ditka is even powerful enough to mess up the time of possession as well.

Ditka is like the Chuck Norris of football.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 AM   #3595
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Was that the big Ditka or the Mini Ditka?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 AM   #3596
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Was that the big Ditka or the Mini Ditka?

Canadian Dikta.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #3597
Ragone
Pro Rookie

so my next question is.. when's the work on the sequal start?

Last edited by Ragone : 03-27-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 AM   #3598
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well this old post explains a lot. I guess that's why he has been so reluctant on the U.S. Rules

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...23&postcount=9

and for those too lazy to click:

Quote:
Why all this Canadian stuff?

My name is Dave, and I am Canadian!

Canadian issues with the game will be handled first. This includes patches and bug fixes. If a change is required to make the game more playable as US rules but would change the way it is played under Canadian rules, the change might not be made. Any corrections needed to be made to make the game correct under Canadian rules may effect the US play. That being said, the majority of rules differences are user definable anyway. The only areas where this may come into effect are with the game clock and perhaps the special team areas of the game.

and here is the entire thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...923#post620923
Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 AM   #3599
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm thinking David has no concept of how big the Canadian football target market is.

Put it like this: There's more hot girls in Wyoming than there are people who really, really want to buy a Canadian Football rules game.

And you know what we call a hot girl in Wyoming?

A visitor.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #3600
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Most people in Canada don't even want to play a Canadian Football rules game.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote