Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #3501
Edward64
Head Coach

I really want tax reform to hit this year. But can you really do tax reform without first understanding the impact of healthcare reform? So in a way I get it but if I had to pick one, I would go with tax reform.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-12-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #3502
miked
College Starter

I hear tax reform is easy. Throw away the book and just make it the same across the board.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #3503
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tax reform is way more difficult than it may appear. Inherently, reform means raising some taxes to cut other taxes, and nobody is going to willingly be the one that has their taxes raised. The border adjustment tax is already being hammered by retailers and the Kochs.

It probably wouldn't be hard to pass a simple rate reduction, but that isn't going to help Trump politically. It's really difficult to figure out a tax reform package that can pass and will be broadly popular.

Not to mention problems with the Byrd rule in the senate that will almost certainly give the bill a ten year expiration date.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #3504
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't see a good way forward for him on health care. It seems that any bill that would please the freedom caucus is going to have to get rid of the pre-existing conditions guarantee and there's no way that's going to be palatable to the general public (and thus moderate Republicans).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #3505
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm sure tax reform will be just as easy as health care reform was...
Old 04-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #3506
Thomkal
Head Coach

I guess NATO is not obsolete anymore (or at least until you are not standing next to the Secretary-General of NATO)

Trump reverses on NATO: ‘It’s no longer obsolete’ - POLITICO

Oh and China is not a currency manipulator as he promised he would proclaim on Day 1.

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #3507
Edward64
Head Coach

TBF there is some agreement where countries will spend 2% of GDP by x date. Apparently there are many that spend below that. So he did accomplish something
Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #3508
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
TBF there is some agreement where countries will spend 2% of GDP by x date. Apparently there are many that spend below that. So he did accomplish something

Where x I believe is 2020(maybe 25) and where the agreement is not something he put in place, it was there already. He just said a lot of stupid that contradicted it.

So no. He didn't accomplish anything but say silly uninformed things while confusing both our allies and enemies on what America's stance is on any given day. We are the joke of the world.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-12-2017 at 05:12 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #3509
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I guess this is good? From the Wall Street Journal.

Quote:
He said they hit it off during their first discussion. Mr. Trump said he told his Chinese counterpart he believed Beijing could easily take care of the North Korea threat. Mr. Xi then explained the history of China and Korea, Mr. Trump said.

“After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it’s not so easy,” Mr. Trump recounted. “I felt pretty strongly that they had a tremendous power” over North Korea,” he said. “But it’s not what you would think.”
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #3510
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seems to think everything is easy until someone talks to him for ten minutes telling him it's not.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #3511
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Where x I believe is 2020(maybe 25) and where the agreement is not something he put in place, it was there already. He just said a lot of stupid that contradicted it.

So no. He didn't accomplish anything but say silly uninformed things while confusing both our allies and enemies on what America's stance is on any given day. We are the joke of the world.

Fortunately I don't link my ego to how the world views my country. Maybe you should try that?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #3512
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I hear tax reform is easy. Throw away the book and just make it the same across the board.

It's not nearly as complex as it's been devolved into.

Flat. Period.

Anything else is wrong, period.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #3513
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Fortunately I don't link my ego to how the world views my country. Maybe you should try that?

It's not an ego thing. It's a geopolitical thing. As much as these nationalist idiots think focusing on America and ignoring everything outside the borders is the right move, that's not how the world works.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #3514
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Flat. Period.

And now lets return to the real world
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #3515
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
And now lets return to the real world

I'm there, come on over, there's room.

You can't drag around dead weight forever without it taking a toll, that's cold hard reality. Sooner or later, it's more than than the dwindling number of productives can carry.

It's time for that to be corrected. Period.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #3516
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How utterly Christian of you (shakes head)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #3517
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I missed that the hiring freeze has been revoked.

Best 13 weeks ever!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 AM   #3518
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Plus, the german secretary of state among others has gone on record saying that such a agreement to definitely reach 2% does not exist but more a agreement to try and see if it isn't possible to get there. In a nice little quote : "I would not even know where to put all the aircraft-carriers we would need to build in order to spent that amount of money"

I kinda fail to see how hardware or manpower in terms of a massive army is going to make a lick of difference against the kind of threat "we" have to deal with.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #3519
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Flat. Period.

So then you feel the same way about SS tax as well, taxing all revenue not just your first $xx. Flat, period?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #3520
tarcone
Coordinator

You can throw "How Christian of you around", but at what point do we all start suffering? Is that Christian? We all suffer in this world?

You do know that there a a lot of people out there scamming the system, right?
I can tell you lots of stories of people that are lazy scamming the country for disability. Those are the drain on the system.
Also, government naturally expands if you dont keep it in check. And that begins to drain the system.

Im all for helping people. But let us not bring Christianity into it. We are a society of takers. And the amount of takers are starting to tip the balance.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #3521
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
You can throw "How Christian of you around", but at what point do we all start suffering? Is that Christian? We all suffer in this world?

I can tell you lots of stories of people that are lazy scamming the country for disability. Those are the drain on the system.
Also, government naturally expands if you dont keep it in check. And that begins to drain the system.

Im all for helping people. But let us not bring Christianity into it. We are a society of takers. And the amount of takers are starting to tip the balance.

The rich have never controlled a greater proportion of the national wealth or the national income. In what way is the balance tipping?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #3522
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

There's also widespread people on Wallstreet scamming the system and they have a much, much more significant impact on our economy. Why are we focused on a very small percentage of people that have almost no impact as opposed to those that are truly hurting things?

Last edited by Atocep : 04-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #3523
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There's also widespread people on Wallstreet scamming the system as well and they have a much, much more significant impact on our economy. Why are we focused on a very small percentage take of people that have so most no impact as opposed to those that are truly hurting things?

Because they're black/hispanic/other. Why do we keep pretending that's not the reason why people don't like the "freeloaders?"
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3524
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
How utterly Christian of you (shakes head)

Christian charity doesn't apply to something taken by force.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #3525
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #3526
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think some of you could stand to take 5 minutes out of your day and head to your local community health clinic for the under/uninsured. Maybe give some of the 20+ folks constantly waiting for services every hour of every day equal time versus the evil system-scammers, whose general existence you've only seen on paper?

I've been forced into those places once or twice, and I can tell you with complete confidence that nobody is happy to be there. Lost somewhere in the discussion between liberal coddling and conservative bootstrapping is the fact that simply being part of the institutionalized poor is hard and depressing work.

As bad as community clinics can be, try spending an hour in the waiting room at your local DHS Family Services. Imagine DMV with 1000% more bawling children and mentally ill. Ever walked past a half-way house, and taken a good long look at the lobby? If you're on any kind of 'assistance' these are the kind of places where you spend countless hours of your day, which the general public doesn't have to account for in the course of their lives. These places are without fail, over-packed, dingy and grey, and filled with the slowest most uncaring workers the government could find. To collect that assistance you'll need to spend tens of hours of every week in places like that, and if you've got issues with drug use or a criminal past, you can double or triple those hours.

The conservative nightmare of massive gangs of welfare deadbeats who enjoy frivolous lives siphoned off of public generosity ignores just how much hard work it takes to be part of the assisted-poor, while the liberals are content to ignore how much of those welfare resources are spent doing absolutely nothing of consequence. Frankly, If you haven't spent any time being part of the 'assisted' poor in modern America, then I don't think you have even the slightest bearing on which to judge those folks.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #3527
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Frankly, If you haven't spent any time being part of the 'assisted' poor in modern America, then I don't think you have even the slightest bearing on which to judge those folks.

Not interested in judging them.

VERY interested in judging control of how my money is taken from me & redistributed.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #3528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Because they're black/hispanic/other. Why do we keep pretending that's not the reason why people don't like the "freeloaders?"

Horseshit.

If you think I have any more interest in having money taken out of my pocket for a white guy/gal then you're horribly mistaken.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #3529
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess we should start prepping now ...

If Trump does this, I don't think a small strike will do much other than piss off the crazy kid and escalate it even more. Beats me how China will react.

U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger - NBC News
Quote:
The U.S. is prepared to launch a preemptive strike with conventional weapons against North Korea should officials become convinced that North Korea is about to follow through with a nuclear weapons test, multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

North Korea has warned that a "big event" is near, and U.S. officials say signs point to a nuclear test that could come as early as this weekend.

The intelligence officials told NBC News that the U.S. has positioned two destroyers capable of shooting Tomahawk cruise missiles in the region, one just 300 miles from the North Korean nuclear test site.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #3530
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not interested in judging them.

VERY interested in judging control of how my money is taken from me & redistributed.

Have you refused any & all government benefits (including tax credits & financial aid for college) for your child & his care in the past, or is this the kind of core passion that extends only to other folks' benefits and/or your money?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-13-2017 at 08:09 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #3531
tarcone
Coordinator

My brother in law is as white as they come.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #3532
bob
College Starter

So are we about to bomb North Korea?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #3533
Edward64
Head Coach

Is this going to be an every other weekend type thing for Trump? In a way, I'm okay with this, the president deserves as much relaxation as possible but just seems bad optics to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/politi...ago/index.html
Quote:
President Donald Trump arrived for another weekend at his languid Florida resort on Thursday, this time without the usual retinue of top aides who have accompanied him in the past, even as global tensions flare.

Trump's jaunt to Mar-a-Lago, his seventh since taking office in January, coincides with a closely watched anniversary in North Korea, where analysts have said the rogue regime may be preparing for a sixth nuclear test.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #3534
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So are we about to bomb North Korea?

If so, RIP Seoul
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #3535
Easy Mac

I hear the chocolate cake is too good to go a fortnight without.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #3536
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Trump Unveils Sprawling New Presidential Retreat Where He Can Escape From Stresses Of Mar-A-Lago - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #3537
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If so, RIP Seoul

At least Samsung would randomly stop making things explode.

And given the Presidential situation over there, its probably the worst time for the US to do anything in the area, while still the best time for NK to mess around.

For as many times as Trump has said he's learned something, or he didn't know how hard something is, I don't think its the best time to go around trying to bomb places that at least have the possibility of already having nukes.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #3538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Have you refused any & all government benefits (including tax credits & financial aid for college) for your child & his care in the past, or is this the kind of core passion that extends only to other folks' benefits and/or your money?

I can't answer the tax credit question since I didn't do the form, no clue what was/wasn't filed. I stay as far away from that crap as possible to try to manage my blood pressure.

And no, not a dime in governmental financial aid for college (and certainly none prior to that), private funds or private scholarships has paid that (unless you want to count the state of MS contributions to the university's electrical bills I guess).

I don't consider it your responsibility to send my child to school any more than I consider sending yours to be mine.

Any more fucking questions?

edit to add: And if they'll flatten the tax rate to what's fair, I'd gladly waive any & all deductions, credits, or whatever other mumbo jumbo you want to add to the list. I haven't done the personal math on that because I don't care what it comes out to ... it's about what's right. Period.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #3539
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
If so, RIP Seoul
some questions....

1. Do we believe that they have missiles accurate enough to even hit Seoul?
2. If they did it with bombers, wouldn't we have fighters/AA ready to intercept?
3. If you blew up a plane with a nuke on it, does the nuke blow up?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #3540
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Is this going to be an every other weekend type thing for Trump? In a way, I'm okay with this, the president deserves as much relaxation as possible but just seems bad optics to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/politi...ago/index.html

Except that he and his cronies screamed incessantly when Obama did it occasionally. Every other tweet was about Obama golfing and Obama vacations. I read something the other day about the cost, on this pace Trump will spend more federal dollars in 1 year than Obama did in 8 on vacations and golf. That does not include the $400k/day they are spending on their kid in NY. But hey, let's complain about food stamps.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #3541
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't think we're just talking missiles/bombing here, they have an army of 6 million highly trained folks (even if the technology is probably shit) vs 500k in the South. Unless we're shipping the entirity of the US Army over there or getting serious support from other nations isn't there a serious danger they'd be in Seoul in weeks just in terms of conventional warfare alone?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #3542
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't think we're just talking missiles/bombing here, they have an army of 6 million highly trained folks (even if the technology is probably shit) vs 500k in the South. Unless we're shipping the entirity of the US Army over there or getting serious support from other nations isn't there a serious danger they'd be in Seoul in weeks just in terms of conventional warfare alone?
I assumed "RIP Seoul" was a reference to them nuking it, not taking it via invasion.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #3543
cartman
Death Herald

I was referencing all of the artillery NK has trained on Seoul.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #3544
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NK has artillery that can reach Seoul.

edit: Dammit, Cartman.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-14-2017 at 12:27 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #3545
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
3. If you blew up a plane with a nuke on it, does the nuke blow up?

Theoretically possible (I think) but actually unlikely (I think).

A conventional explosion from, say, shooting down the aircraft would lack the precision needed for detonation.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #3546
cartman
Death Herald

There would have to be a deadman switch on the nuke to have it explode if a plane was shot down. External impacts wouldn't set one off. In any event, I don't think NK has made a nuke small enough to fit onto a plane.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #3547
bhlloy
Coordinator

If we're actually talking about action against NK I would hope it would be a surgical strike to remove the Kim's and take the head off the military command but that's got to be hugely shaky in terms of legality and what do you do with the regime change after that and the billions that will have to be spent bringing a large country out of the dark ages.

Anything short of that, yeesh. Unless it's with a commitment from China that they will actively support any action taken, we are talking about casualties unheard of since WW2 in terms of the damage they will do to the South and the number of US servicemen that are going to be needed to stop them.

Not saying doing nothing is the right action here either, but there's no doubt in my mind if the US just does a couple strikes to try and set the nuke program back 5 years they are going to do something really really stupid.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #3548
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There would have to be a deadman switch on the nuke to have it explode if a plane was shot down. External impacts wouldn't set one off.

Though If anyone was batshit crazy enough to have a deadman switch on a nuke like that it would be North Korea.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #3549
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If we're actually talking about action against NK I would hope it would be a surgical strike to remove the Kim's and take the head off the military command but that's got to be hugely shaky in terms of legality and what do you do with the regime change after that and the billions that will have to be spent bringing a large country out of the dark ages.

Anything short of that, yeesh. Unless it's with a commitment from China that they will actively support any action taken, we are talking about casualties unheard of since WW2 in terms of the damage they will do to the South and the number of US servicemen that are going to be needed to stop them.

Not saying doing nothing is the right action here either, but there's no doubt in my mind if the US just does a couple strikes to try and set the nuke program back 5 years they are going to do something really really stupid.

I hope Trump & Co has thought thru this several steps ahead and wargame it vs Trump shooting from the hip.

It seems that Trump has pretty much committed to a red line which the crazy kid will probably cross this weekend. If so, there will be some sort of US response (because its a red line and Trump doesn't want it to come back to him ala Obama/Syria).

I think any military response we do (small, med, big), the crazy kid (who probably has a very deep bunker) can interpret it as an act of war. There are alot of civilians and US troops in the line of fire.

There are no good options now but once the crazy kid gets intercontinental nukes there will really be no good options then, so it might be better to resolve this once and for now in the next 4 years.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #3550
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I hope Trump & Co has thought thru this several steps ahead and wargame it vs Trump shooting from the hip.

I don't have much faith in this, with tons of evidence pointing to him making a decision based on the last person to talk to him. I mean, look at what he said after talking to the Chinese leader about North Korea: “After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it’s not so easy”

Donald Trump admits Xi Jinping gave him a history lesson on North Korea | The Independent

Last edited by cartman : 04-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.