Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #3451
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If JP Riccardi was in your fantasy football league, and offered to trade Petersen. Then acted the way he was acting(Michael Turner, Chris Johnson -and- Anquan). I don't think anyone would mind if he wasn't invited back the next year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #3452
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Some cringe-worthy numbers from this article:

Major leaguers with the least trade value - ESPN

Barry Zito is still owed $89.1 mil through '13.

Soriano is still owed $94.8 million through '14

Vernon Wells is still owed $116 million through '14.

My apologies to Giants, Cubs, and Jays fans for bringing these up. Its just really hard to comprehend these contracts.

The Soriano contract is ugly for the Cubs, but he still kind of produces. He'll still end up with close to 30 homers a year despite his crappiness in the field.

The Vernon Wells contract is the worst in my eyes since it's for a team without a huge payroll. The Cubs can absorb a bad contract or two, but not the Jays.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #3453
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some cringe-worthy numbers from this article:

Major leaguers with the least trade value - ESPN

Barry Zito is still owed $89.1 mil through '13.

Soriano is still owed $94.8 million through '14

Vernon Wells is still owed $116 million through '14.

My apologies to Giants, Cubs, and Jays fans for bringing these up. Its just really hard to comprehend these contracts.

Finally. A list of "bad" things in MLB that doesn't include the Nationals.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #3454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Finally. A list of "bad" things in MLB that doesn't include the Nationals.

Well there is the $8 million that Austin Kearns is getting to put up Jeff Francouer numbers. But at least that isn't going midway through the next decade.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-27-2009 at 04:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #3455
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If JP Riccardi was in your fantasy football league, and offered to trade Petersen. Then acted the way he was acting(Michael Turner, Chris Johnson -and- Anquan). I don't think anyone would mind if he wasn't invited back the next year.

I wouldn't mind if JP was gone next year too. But this is strictly in a fantasy football hypothesis.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #3456
MikeVic
Head Coach

And thanks for bringing up Wells' contract guys. Made my day. There was an article on some Jays' blog (have to find the link) that basically summarized in order for a team to take Wells' contract, it would have to be Halladay and Wells for nothing in return, and even then they'd have to get lucky. There were some formulas behind it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #3457
Bad-example
College Starter

Since I got a sense of humor about Barry Zito, his ugly contract really doesn't bother me anymore. That he is putting up decent back-of-the-rotation numbers helps.

Nice point in the article that Zito's deal ends at the same time Lincecum is scheduled for free agency.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #3458
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well there is the $8 million that Austin Kearns is getting to put up Jeff Francouer numbers. But at least that isn't going midway through the next decade.

Guzman is also getting $8mm to have an OBP only 15 points higher than his BA (dude never walks) and play sub-par SS. But neither of those numbers compare to the ones on the above list.

Don't get me wrong, their are crap contracts in the organization, it's just nice to have a piece in the national media about bad baseball decisions that does not continue to make the Nationals the laughing stock of MLB.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #3459
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I was interested so I did a quick spreadsheet. I used the payroll numbers on mlb.com, which only take into account the active 25-man roster.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #3460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Mets fire Tony Bernazard.

Great.

Now he'll end up in Knoxville working as a consultant to Ed Orgeron.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #3461
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I was interested so I did a quick spreadsheet. I used the payroll numbers on mlb.com, which only take into account the active 25-man roster.

Took two lines to see that your numbers are wrong: you're not using the active roster if that's the Mets salary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #3462
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Padres are the 2nd worst team in the league this year.
The Nationals may not sign Strasburg.
We now know that a player has to allow a team to "redraft" him the next year.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Strasburg ends up in San Diego.
Especially cause they'll basically have all offseason and such to work out a deal with him.
A) The Padres can easily be "beaten out" for 2nd-worst record by the Royals, Pirates, Orioles or a couple of other teams.
B) That's tampering and illegal.
C) Strasburg has so much to risk by waiting the year. Does he sit it out and let teams start to doubt him, or does he pitch in an independent league and risk injury?

So it's a nice conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't go putting any money on it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I still wonder how much of it is the Padres actively looking to move him vs the Red Sox being interested in him and the Padres sitting back and saying "Wow us" similar to what Toronto is doing with Halladay.
Precisely, but if we're going to be giving up multiple top prospects, go for the 27y/o cleanup hitter over the 32 y/o pitcher you'll have to give a crippling extension to (Simply put, we're going to be paying a 3-year younger Beckett ~20m a year starting in 2 years - no way we dish that out to Halladay too in a contract that goes until he's ~40). fwiw, here's one man's list of the top 50 players in terms of trade value 2009 MLB Trade Value: Recap | FanGraphs Baseball The relevant members
I have several arguments with the list, but it's an interesting take nonetheless. (And also another reminder of how good the Orioles should be in a couple years. It's not like Toronto can rebuild for a year or two and only have to contend with NY/Boston at the top like years past. Life would be much easier for them if they were in the Central with Chicago and Detroit etc.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #3463
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently here's a lot of rumors that Bronson Arroyo is headed to the Yankees soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #3464
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Please, please, please be true.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #3465
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Apparently here's a lot of rumors that Bronson Arroyo is headed to the Yankees soon.

Pete Abraham did some checking and wrote on his blog that it's not true.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #3466
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Took two lines to see that your numbers are wrong: you're not using the active roster if that's the Mets salary.

I used the numbers at Washington Nationals Salaries - MLB Baseball - ESPN (looks like it wasn't mlb.com)

On the Strasburg situation: what if the Nationals somehow move into 29th place? Does San Diego (or whoever?) take Strasburg or Harper (presuming Harper is still considered the phenom he is expected to be)?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #3467
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TATIS!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #3468
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Freddy Sanchez is not in the lineup tonight

Dunno if he is injured or to be traded. Just had an off day too.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #3469
Logan
Head Coach

I'm curious if Luis Castillo has played himself into having trade value now. Never thought I'd be saying that...

Last edited by Logan : 07-27-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #3470
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm curious if Luis Castillo has played himself into having trade value now. Never thought I'd be saying that...

Omar would then replace him by signing someone to an equally stupid contract.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3471
Logan
Head Coach

Good thing he's about to be gone.

Great Twitter quote:

"here's a list of things the Wilpons and Minaya don't understand : 1) P.R., 2) journalism, 3) ponzi schemes, 4) baseball."
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #3472
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Allright Sack, 1 down, 3 to go!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #3473
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
On the Strasburg situation: what if the Nationals somehow move into 29th place? Does San Diego (or whoever?) take Strasburg or Harper (presuming Harper is still considered the phenom he is expected to be)?
Pitcher with a limited (albeit very impressive) track record and a violent arm motion or a catcher? You go catcher every time if it's close - much less downside risk.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #3474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What is the status with Ackley or Tate?

And how were the Rays able to get Beckham signed quickly last year?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #3475
samifan24
Pro Starter

How does Omar Minaya still have a job? I can't believe that stunt he pulled at the press conference today. What an embarrassment to the organization.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #3476
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
How does Omar Minaya still have a job? I can't believe that stunt he pulled at the press conference today. What an embarrassment to the organization.

Because Omar has a contract extension that kicks in after this season and Fred Wilpon lost $700 million in the Madoff scam
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #3477
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I used the numbers at Washington Nationals Salaries - MLB Baseball - ESPN (looks like it wasn't mlb.com)

San Diego takes Harper, and the Gnats wind up without either wunderkind. Though I would assume that if the Nationals wind up failing to sign Strasburg, ownership lays down the law and any Washington player who as much as legs out a double the rest of the season gets his kneecaps broken.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #3478
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Tim Lincecum. 15 K's. Just wow.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #3479
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was listening to the radio, but I don't understand how the Giants got the 4th run. Something to do with there not being a 4th out appeal?

Pirates continue to frustrate, but Timmah is pretty freaking good.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #3480
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
A) The Padres can easily be "beaten out" for 2nd-worst record by the Royals, Pirates, Orioles or a couple of other teams.
B) That's tampering and illegal.
C) Strasburg has so much to risk by waiting the year. Does he sit it out and let teams start to doubt him, or does he pitch in an independent league and risk injury?

So it's a nice conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't go putting any money on it yet.[/left]

A)True-The Padres can get beaten out. I don't think that Strasburg wouldn't sign with the Nationals because of the off chance to go to San Diego.
b) Tampering/Schmampering-The Padres can't directly negotiate with Boras till the draft is over, but I wouldn't doubt there might be a few "hypotheticals" discussed during coffee. Perhaps. The Pirates had a deal with Sanchez before the draft(and they were picking #4). The rays signed Tim Beckham really freaking fast the year before(June 19th). Matt Bush signed on freakin draft day.
C. I agree there is a risk to Strasburg.

I think you were reading too much into my post. If the Nationals don't sign Strasburg, it will be because of his agent, or the Nats being unwilling to meet the price.

San Diego, in their current draft position, looks like a very realistic landing spot for Strasburg if the Nats drop the ball.

Last edited by stevew : 07-28-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #3481
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Without seeing the game, I can't say how it was, but generally, a 4th out appeal situation is like follows:

2nd and 3rd, 1 out: Batter hits a fly ball to the outfield. The Runner on 3rd leaves his base before the ball is caught in an attempt to score. Meanwhile, the runner on 2nd tries to tag up and advance to 3rd base.

The runner who was on 3rd crosses home plate successfully, while the runner who was on 2nd gets caught in a run down and tagged out (after the base runner has scored).

If the defensive team appeals that the runner on third left early, the fourth out is recorded, and the run does not count. However, if the defensive team steps off the field of play (generally, if everyone steps over the foul line on their way to the dugout), the chance to appeal is lost, and the run will count.

EDIT: I looked up the game review: In this case, the radio got it wrong. What happened is the ball deflected off one player trying to make a shoe string catch, and went straight to another player. The umpires blew the call and ruled it a base hit. If they had ruled that the catch had been made, and the runner left early, they could've gotten him out as well.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-28-2009 at 01:15 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #3482
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was listening to the radio, but I don't understand how the Giants got the 4th run. Something to do with there not being a 4th out appeal?

Pirates continue to frustrate, but Timmah is pretty freaking good.

It was awesome. Watch a replay.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #3483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nah, they didn't say 4th out appeal, I didn't understand what the hell they were talking about though.

So, because the guy calls something a hit, and then gets overturned by another ump, the run stands? Is that what happened?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #3484
stevew
Hall Of Famer

-nevermind, didn't see the pickoff.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #3485
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is it possible to play the game under protest when something like that happens?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #3486
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Man. A feat more rare than a perfect game and it's not even mentioned!

Josh Willingham with two grand slams last night. He was the 13th player ever to do so.

I mean, I didn't expect his own thread, but at least throw him a bone.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #3487
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Did you know that Bill Mueller is the ONLY player in Major League history to hit his two grand slams during the same game from opposite sides of the plate?

Sorry...had to pimp Billy M there!

edit: and 4/13 have been Red Sox!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-28-2009 at 08:24 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #3488
lungs
Pro Rookie

Unfortunately Willingham's feat came at the expense of my beloved Brewers who are absolutely reeling right now.

Fuck going after a good pitcher when the rest of the staff sucks too (or in the case of the relievers very overworked).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #3489
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Unfortunately Willingham's feat came at the expense of my beloved Brewers who are absolutely reeling right now.

Fuck going after a good pitcher when the rest of the staff sucks too (or in the case of the relievers very overworked).

Isn't one of their relievers starting tonight?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #3490
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Isn't one of their relievers starting tonight?

Indeed, Carlos Villanueva. His June ERA was 7.94 and his July ERA is a sparkling 10.80.

Tee off on him for three innings and then get into the Brewers bullpen once again. I have a feeling that we may see a position player pitching tonight for the Brewers if everything falls into place how I think it will.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #3491
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Indeed, Carlos Villanueva. His June ERA was 7.94 and his July ERA is a sparkling 10.80.

Tee off on him for three innings and then get into the Brewers bullpen once again. I have a feeling that we may see a position player pitching tonight for the Brewers if everything falls into place how I think it will.

I would love for you to be correct.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #3492
Galaril
Pro Starter

So it is being reported the Red Sox are now offering Buckholtz, Bowden and a single A outfielder for Halladay. I would love to see this happen. Pitching rotation of Beckett, Halladay, Lester, Wakefield, Penney for this year and next year with Dice K the number 5 next year along with Okajima, Bard, and Papellebon in the bullpen
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #3493
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So it is being reported the Red Sox are now offering Buckholtz, Bowden and a single A outfielder for Halladay. I would love to see this happen. Pitching rotation of Beckett, Halladay, Lester, Wakefield, Penney for this year and next year with Dice K the number 5 next year along with Okajima, Bard, and Papellebon in the bullpen

That would definitely kick ass, but it doesn't seem any better than the Phillies offer.

Prospects in general are incredibly overrated at this point, the Red Sox really have the chips to do this if they wanted (and if J.P. really wants to)

Last edited by molson : 07-28-2009 at 02:55 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #3494
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It would suck to trade Westmoreland (he'd have to a PTBNL) because he only signed out of high school since he's local. I would hope that they would get his blessing/find another part instead. That's a pretty good package, I'd say on par with the Drabek/Happ package the Phils were haggling over.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #3495
MikeVic
Head Coach

If the Jays need to trade Halladay, I of course want them to get the most for him. But if he stays not only in the AL, but in the division too... holy crap. I think fans would not like that one bit. And with the Sox already having Jason Bay, some Canadian Jays fans might transfer to that team?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #3496
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agreed.

At least football season kicks into gear pretty quick...
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #3497
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Prospects in general are incredibly overrated at this point

Yes.

Its important maintain some depth in your minor league system in order to have cheap alternatives when players leave for free agency, get too expensive, or to cover injuries but teams have taken things too far.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #3498
RainMaker
General Manager

Isn't Boston's problem hitting though?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #3499
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Isn't Boston's problem hitting though?

In the playoffs, everyone's problem is hitting once they face great pitching.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #3500
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Mark Buehrle's first gift to the team : here is DeWayne Wise' personalized:

k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote