Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #3451
thealmighty
Pro Starter

4-za Italia!!!

French PK was bad call, imho, but they should have been awarded the one later, so it evened out.

Don't care what was/wasn't said to Zidane. Whatever it was I have had players with worse done to them, and so have many (or most, or all) of the black players all season long, everywhere they go. No excuse.

PKs are bs. Golden goal all the way. Gives more need to watch subs in a tie game and less reason to play for a tie, as it appeared Italy did for the entire overtime. Most of the time, I think, the right team will win.

Italy got lucky, in part, that France couldn't get one in while all the Italian side seemed to be too tired to even attempt to mount an attack. Delaying is part of the game as any fan knows. I taught it to my players as well. If you are up by one and time is running down, quit running after balls, kick it out as hard as you can, etc... (no diving and whining in high school, though).

Deserved? Don't really care at this point, though you can argue not, what anyone thinks. Italy is World Cup champs of 2006, forever more.

edit to say: quit running after balls out of play, since you have to chase down your own corner/goal kick ball, etc...

Last edited by thealmighty : 07-09-2006 at 05:41 PM.
thealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #3452
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
PKs are bs. Golden goal all the way. Gives more need to watch subs in a tie game and less reason to play for a tie, as it appeared Italy did for the entire overtime. Most of the time, I think, the right team will win.

My only suggestion has been a 4th sub for extra time (1 sub for every 30 minutes all match long) and to move to golden goal with unlimited subs after 30 minutes of extra time.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #3453
Critch
lolzcat

If anybody is on for a bit of a conspiracy theory, apparently the referee didn't see Zidane's headbutt, the linesman didn't flag for it, but the red card was shown right after it was shown on the big screens inside the stadium.

So should it have been a red card if neither the ref nor the linesman actually saw it, soccer doesn't use tv evidence
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #3454
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
If anybody is on for a bit of a conspiracy theory, apparently the referee didn't see Zidane's headbutt, the linesman didn't flag for it, but the red card was shown right after it was shown on the big screens inside the stadium.

So should it have been a red card if neither the ref nor the linesman actually saw it, soccer doesn't use tv evidence

No.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #3455
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Could you imagine soccer being played like hockey with 3 lines? Now that would lead to more offense!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #3456
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I'm disgusted that Italy won but not because of anything they did. In the last few games they kept the diving and whining to a minimum and played good football. We'll never hear the end of this in Toronto however and that is disgusting to me. They sure as hell don't cheer for the Italian hockey team during the Olympics, then all of a sudden they are Canadian.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #3457
Katon
College Benchwarmer

GoldenEagle: Not necessarily - one of the major theories as to why goalscoring has declined slightly over time is that these days players are fit enough to press for a full 90 minutes. Look at a game from thirty years ago and it's astonishing how much more space the attacking players have. I'd expect forwards to benefit more from the extra rest than defenders, but there's a decent chance that there would be the opposite effect entirely.

Last edited by Katon : 07-09-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #3458
Critch
lolzcat

Well this didnt take long

hxxp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/steevs28/zidane29b.gif
Old 07-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #3459
Joe
Pro Starter

Materazzi is a thug so it was well deserved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGcUr0S-FU
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #3460
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
We play real sports...

Plus, we know how to celebrate. The Italian team looks weird the way they are celebrating.

I think that's more a soccer thing, with the celebration. Soccer players seem to be weird like that.....

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #3461
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
They tried doing live coverage from Times Square during some of the earlier games, but it was just embarassing. They'd do main squares from other major cities and they would be jammed, then they cut for Times Square where there'd be a handful of fans and a few commuters/tourists trying to see what was going on.

Because they picked the fucking triangle that is surrounded by traffic in the middle of times square, asburd place to expect people to actually stand and watch a game.

The population of NYC is 10 times that of Boston, if they wanted that type of crowd shot in Little Italy, Brooklyn, Staten Island, etc... they would have easily gotten it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #3462
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

and now a look back at what the NYT wrote before the game:

Quote:
"Whatever the outcome of Sunday's final, Zidane's place in soccer is secure. So is his place in French culture, where he, as a married father, is perceived to represent family values, a fondness for effort, a willingness to take responsibility and general decency."
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #3463
Joe
Pro Starter

Word is that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist, so Zidane fucked him up. Zidane is muslim and pissed about it I guess...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #3464
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm really curious to know what was said to Zidane. No excuse for that behaviour, but you definitely have to wonder.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #3465
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Was anyone else ought by Gov Center in Boston ? lots of fun - there were roughly 5,000-7,000 people there - at least, and it was a grand time. That says nothing about what was going on in the North End. Rooting for the French in that area was dangerous.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #3466
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Word is that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist, so Zidane fucked him up. Zidane is muslim and pissed about it I guess...

French tv apparently dredged up a lipreader to try and give them some excuse for Zidane's behaviour, he claimed that Materazzi questioned the nationality of Zidane's children, whatever that means.

Last edited by Critch : 07-09-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #3467
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
French tv apparently dredged up a lipreader to try and give them some excuse for Zidane's behaviour, he claimed that Materazzi questioned the nationality of Zidane's children, whatever that means.

Hmm, you wonder if he said something about the immigrant riots (insinuating that Zidane's children were involved in that and weren't real French)
Old 07-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #3468
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Materazzi is a thug so it was well deserved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGcUr0S-FU

It's as if he made f***ing up Shevchenko his mission in life.

BTW, that feet first tackle at 2:30 is freaking horrible.

He has great talent - too bad he's such a scumbag.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #3469
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe they'd do better if they got to sit down while somebody else played for 66% of the game.

Sure as hell seems like soccer players sit down for 66% of the game with all the diving.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #3470
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Worst World Cup Winner, Ever. That's all I got to say. On penalties, too. That's classic for these cheaters.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #3471
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Hmm, you wonder if he said something about the immigrant riots (insinuating that Zidane's children were involved in that and weren't real French)

If that's true, he's a shitty father. You're gonna headbutt a guy in the chest and just walk away if someone says something like that about your kids? You wouldn't be unloaded lefts and rights and having people pull you off the guy?

I'll calling bullshit on any of these religious, racial, child insults. People are always searching for some kind of reason why athletes or other people behave in stupid ways. Reminds me of the Chris Rock bit. "Whatever happened to 'crazy'?" The guy flipped out and did something stupid. Done.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #3472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
If that's true, he's a shitty father. You're gonna headbutt a guy in the chest and just walk away if someone says something like that about your kids? You wouldn't be unloaded lefts and rights and having people pull you off the guy?

I'll calling bullshit on any of these religious, racial, child insults. People are always searching for some kind of reason why athletes or other people behave in stupid ways. Reminds me of the Chris Rock bit. "Whatever happened to 'crazy'?" The guy flipped out and did something stupid. Done.

Um... what, did the Holy Spirit take him? There is always a WHY did the guy flip out and did something stupid. You don't start running away and then stop and wheel around to headbutt the guy down. And have you ever seen a person unload left and rights, aside from getting plunked in a baseball game?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #3473
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Um... what, did the Holy Spirit take him? There is always a WHY did the guy flip out and did something stupid. You don't start running away and then stop and wheel around to headbutt the guy down. And have you ever seen a person unload left and rights, aside from getting plunked in a baseball game?

Why not? It's hardly the first time he's violently lashed out. It's not even the first time he's been sent off for headbutting. They can't all have been provoking him by insulting his race/religion. At least the Saudi Arabia player he was sent off for stamping on at the 1998 World Cup should be innocent of that.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #3474
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why not? It's hardly the first time he's violently lashed out. It's not even the first time he's been sent off for headbutting. They can't all have been provoking him by insulting his race/religion. At least the Saudi Arabia player he was sent off for stamping on at the 1998 World Cup should be innocent of that.

What is that, 3 incidents in a 15+ year career?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #3475
bselig
n00b

Among Materazzi youtube highlight reels, I definitely prefer this one
bselig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #3476
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What's really funny is that I hardly noticed this Materazzi guy before the Germany match, but I saw him diving all over th eplace like a fool. Then I start hearing about his ugly play. Then I see this today with Zidane's actions (look, not condoning Zidane, but this doesn't happen without Materazzi obviously saying something way over the line). And now I watch this youtube vid on this guy, where he's a straight out thug.

WTF? This guy is a total piece of shit. Fuck him and any club that would pay him. I have a new European team in addition to Boro: any team playing this guy's club. Well, and I also freakin' can't stand Deco, but that's another story.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #3477
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
What is that, 3 incidents in a 15+ year career?

No, it's 4 high profile violent incidents off the top of my head, it's 2 cases on extreme violent conduct in 3 world cups. He's hardly some clean player who snapped unexpectedly, he's always had a nasty streak to his game.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #3478
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, it's 4 high profile violent incidents off the top of my head, it's 2 cases on extreme violent conduct in 3 world cups. He's hardly some clean player who snapped unexpectedly, he's always had a nasty streak to his game.

How did it become 4?! He may have been an aggressive player at times, but come on, the guy is running away and suddenly stops on a dime and wheels around before he headbuts Materazzi! Why doesn't he take him out from behind if he was planning on taking him out? Why start running and then wheel about to headbutt the guy?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #3479
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
How did it become 4?! He may have been an aggressive player at times, but come on, the guy is running away and suddenly stops on a dime and wheels around before he headbuts Materazzi! Why doesn't he take him out from behind if he was planning on taking him out? Why start running and then wheel about to headbutt the guy?

Stamping in 1998 and headbutting today at the world cup, headbutting in the champions league v Hamburg, sent off for punching in the game that was to honor him at Real.

Looking at the video, if Materazzi said something to Zidane to provoke him, why isn't he looking at Zidane, why doesn't he react when Zidane turns towards him? He keeps walking, he's looking past Zidane. If I said something offensive to him, I'd keep my eye on him

I'm not saying that he didn't say anything, just that nobody knows, so jumping to blame the victim of the headbutt seems misplaced.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #3480
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not saying that he didn't say anything, just that nobody knows, so jumping to blame the victim of the headbutt seems misplaced.

Exactly. I've done plenty of stupid things in my life where I overreacted for no reason and acted in a way I shouldn't. Therefore I'm not naive enough to think that athletes couldn't be guilty of the same thing. I'm sure as hell not going to try and come up with all these different potential theories for why he did something dumb.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #3481
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Stamping in 1998 and headbutting today at the world cup, headbutting in the champions league v Hamburg, sent off for punching in the game that was to honor him at Real.

Looking at the video, if Materazzi said something to Zidane to provoke him, why isn't he looking at Zidane, why doesn't he react when Zidane turns towards him? He keeps walking, he's looking past Zidane. If I said something offensive to him, I'd keep my eye on him

I wholeheartedly blame Materazzi for getting his own ass kicked. He said something as he was walking away, he probably was hoping Zidane wouldn't hear it, but he did and retaliated. You don't do something that stupid in a final, on the last game of your career, because you snap.

You would do something like pull an ak-47 out of your shorts, and light the place up in orgasmic euphoria.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #3482
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Um... what, did the Holy Spirit take him? There is always a WHY did the guy flip out and did something stupid.

Sure...and many times the "why?" is a simple "oops, I fucked up."
Old 07-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #3483
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
sent off for punching in the game that was to honor him at Real.

Is that his last game at Real? Because there are no reports that indicate something like that happened:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns
Old 07-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #3484
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just saw the sportcenter highlight of the headbutt....Materazzi was talkin smack the entire time....just curious as to what he said now...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #3485
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Is that his last game at Real? Because there are no reports that indicate something like that happened:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

No, it was a game earlier in the season (or late the previous) where Real set up 15 cameras to track his every move from different angles. He got sent off for punching an opponent. Off the top of my head it was against Deportivo.

edit - maybe not v Deportivo, can't find the game I'm meaning. The couple of reports I could find of games where he was sent off against Deportivo (once for Real, once for violent conduct when he played for Juventus) aren't the one I mean. It's hard finding the right one amongst all his sending offs.

Last edited by Critch : 07-09-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #3486
Critch
lolzcat

Dola - it was this one, Villareal were the opponents:

hxxp://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/29/sports/zidane.php
Old 07-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #3487
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola - it was this one, Villareal were the opponents:

hxxp://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/29/sports/zidane.php

You realize that in your article it says Zidane was sent off for "getting involved in a shoving match", right?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #3488
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This reuter's article:

http://au.movies.yahoo.com/060525/11/q607.html

Quote:
The end of the film packs a punch as Zidane is sent off for his involvement in a fracas near the end of the game.

Seems to indicate that he was in a shoving/fighting match at the end of the game, similar to the Argentina/Germany fracas. Paints a far different picture than saying he was sent off for punching (which implies a sucker punch or during the flow of the game). I mean people don't look down on Frings for his punch in the fracas at the end of the Argentina game... or call it an extremely violent act on his part.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #3489
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Zidane is "fiery." That pretty much explains it. However, everyone overlooks how nice he was to the guy. He put his head into his chest. If he went for the jaw, the guy would be sipping through a straw tomorrow.

See, Zidane is actually a nice guy.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #3490
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Blah. Stinkin' Italy won.

I didn't get to see it since I have no TV right now and I wasn't even home anyways. But blah anyways.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #3491
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Worst World Cup Winner, Ever. That's all I got to say. On penalties, too. That's classic for these cheaters.

lol
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #3492
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Materazzi is a punk/bitch/asshat/dick/thug.... I agree 100%.

However, I don't give a crap what the guy said, did, meant, whatever it was. Zidane possibly cost France a World Cup for his actions, we'll never know (he would have been first to take a PK, I would think).

You could take out a picture of my mother giving you a bj in the 6-yard box in front of 76,000 at halftime...and I'd still wait until the game was over to kill you.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #3493
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

A headbutt to the chest is the lamest 'attack' I've ever seen. Would that even hurt? Materazzi was genius to fly to the ground like he'd been shot, I think if that happened to me I'd be standing there going "wait a minute, did this fool just headbutt my CHEST? Really?".

Dude should have thrown a fucking punch like a real man, or just stepped off.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #3494
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
A headbutt to the chest is the lamest 'attack' I've ever seen. Would that even hurt? Materazzi was genius to fly to the ground like he'd been shot, I think if that happened to me I'd be standing there going "wait a minute, did this fool just headbutt my CHEST? Really?".

Dude should have thrown a fucking punch like a real man, or just stepped off.
Umm... wow? That wasn't a dive by Materazzi. If you really think that didn't/wouldn't hurt/knock the wind out of you I don't know what to say. Zidane got him right in the solar plexus. As for real men not head-butting... I've seen some Irish guys and rugby players in bar fights and mosh pits that would beg to differ.

Heroic move by Zidane IMO. It was really a lacklustre finale and 10 years from now I'm gonna struggle to remember who won, but I'll definitely remember that head-butt. I can only imagine how amazing it would have been if his header had gone in a couple minutes earlier so he scores the only 2 goals to lift his team to victory and gets sent off for viciously destroying some whining pussy.

But then again, I reffed for 4 years and gave out like 12 cards - all but one yellow and all but 3 for diving (the one red was for a 10year old girl punching another in the face. A definite highlight.) So my views on how soccer should be played probably aren't shared by most who watch high-level club team play.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #3495
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Materazzi is a punk/bitch/asshat/dick/thug.... I agree 100%.

However, I don't give a crap what the guy said, did, meant, whatever it was. Zidane possibly cost France a World Cup for his actions, we'll never know (he would have been first to take a PK, I would think).

You could take out a picture of my mother giving you a bj in the 6-yard box in front of 76,000 at halftime...and I'd still wait until the game was over to kill you.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm not excusing Zidane's actions. That was both violent and extremely stupid.

That said, it couldn't have happened to a better player than the guy he turned on.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #3496
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I still don't buy that, in the grand scheme of 'attacks' the headbutt would hurt. In the head? Hells ya. But square in the chest? Not really, not as much as a punch, knee, or kick that's for sure. Even if it did wind the guy, is that really something to be proud of? "I winded a guy with my head!" Good grief, what's next, someone purposely knocking another guys funny bone? Or how about just pinning him down and tickling him until he pee's his pants?

Oh, and are you really proud that you let 10 year old girls soccer get so out of control by not calling fouls that one felt she had to punch another in the face? This is a good thing?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #3497
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Heroic move by Zidane IMO.

I agree, since my team may have lost if he hadn't done it.

Quote:
some whining pussy.

He's not a whining pussy. He's a lowlife cheater.

Quote:
...3 for diving (the one red was for a 10year old girl punching another in the face.
  1. 10 year olds are diving?
  2. If her dad congratulated her for the punch, that would explain alot.
Quote:
...10 years from now I'm gonna struggle to remember who won...

I won't.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #3498
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I still don't buy that, in the grand scheme of 'attacks' the headbutt would hurt. In the head? Hells ya. But square in the chest?

I think you're underestimating how much a shot to the sternum hurts.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #3499
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Zidane wins the Golden Ball edging out Cannavaro in the voting.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 07-10-2006 at 05:47 AM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:05 AM   #3500
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Zidane wins the Golden Ball edging out Cannavaro in the voting.

And Portugal won "Most Entertaining Team".

Other awards:
Best Goalkeeper: Buffon
Fair Play: Brazil, Spain
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote