Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #301
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Got it - 49ers player doesn't follow league policy, something is wrong with league. Seahawks players doesn't follow policy, something is wrong with Seahawks players.

Nice find
Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #302
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Got it - 49ers player doesn't follow league policy, something is wrong with league. Seahawks players doesn't follow policy, something is wrong with Seahawks players.

Hell, forget about the Lynch fine. I see a serious disconnect when the league fines someone 8K for undertaking an action that could end someone's career yet fines someone 10K for wearing pink headphones to a press conference.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #303
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But it is Atlanta that is the division leader.
I think there's a reasonable chance Atlanta wins the division while going 0-10 outside the NFC South.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #304
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I think, barring RGIII hooking up with a true Quarterback guru (Harbaugh-esque), he's pretty much toast. I'd put him close to being in the same bucket as Alex Smith earlier in his career.

Talent
Questionable Coaches
Injuries
Lackluster talent around him

And you forgot lazy.... At least according to Steve Young who got that from numerous coaches of RG3 . So would say RG3 can share in some of his failure though I agree he has been giving a shitty hand with the coaching situations and injuries.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #305
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
yet fines someone 10K for wearing pink headphones to a press conference.

Of course he didn't get fined for wearing pink headphones, he got fined for wearing Beats by Dre after the NFL signed an exclusive marketing deal with Bose and told the players they couldn't wear other brands at press conferences. To your point, yeah its frustrating when branding/marketing seems a bigger focal point than safety.

The other bullshit Sun is spouting: LOL. (this is where he comes back in and tells us he doesn't even care about any of this and how funny it is that any of us losers would even take the time to comment because he's a much more evolved and enlightened human being).

On the Sherman thing, I enjoy rooting against the guy on the field a lot, but I liked this stunt, I thought it was a funny way to point at some hypocricy that should probably be pointed at as frequently as possible.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #306
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Because humor makes it easier for tough messages to be delivered. I have no doubt that doing it the way Sherman & Baldwin did it resulted in a lot more people watching it than had he done what you suggested. And I really doubt that doing what you suggested would have felt any less "about" Richard Sherman than his skit.
I don't think the number of people in the general public who see it matters much. I think the only way to effect change is to get the media actually talking about the substantive issues and turning it into their little crusade. In this case the method of delivery makes it too easy for the counterpoint on all those shows to just say it was Sherman making a joke instead of actually having to defend Goodell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm guessing that all fines are collectively bargained and the NFLPA has much more of an interest in negotiating lower fines for on field play that could be levied on any player, regardless of intent, than lowering fines for doing something that 99.9% of the players realize is just part of the job description. They'd rather suck it up and answer questions in front of their locker than end up paying $100K when they tried to make a tackle and the ball carrier ducked at the last second, so a shoulder-on-shoulder-hit becomes a shoulder-on-helmet hit.
Oh, they are collectively bargained, which is why every first offense is like $8k... but I'm not sure players are quite so unified on that front. Offensive players would be happy if the fine for helmet to helmet went up, linemen support increasing the penalty for chop blocking, etc. There are also fines for some unneccessary roughness calls that aren't a football action (Detroit got 2 against the Pats last week - Mosley hitting the long-snapper early and Raoila punching Moore in the back of the head, although not for his attempted chop block.) Most players outside of idk, Romanowksi, Dashon Goldson, Brandon Meriwether, Raiola, would probably support higher fines when there's a clear deliberate attempt to injure.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #307
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't think the number of people in the general public who see it matters much. I think the only way to effect change is to get the media actually talking about the substantive issues and turning it into their little crusade. In this case the method of delivery makes it too easy for the counterpoint on all those shows to just say it was Sherman making a joke instead of actually having to defend Goodell.
Agree to disagree I guess. What made the skit funny was the gross hypocrisy of the NFL that Sherman & Baldwin were pointing out. This wasn't just a funny skit, this was a funny skit where the humor was biting and extremely pointed. I'd like to give the sporting public a bit more benefit of the doubt that most of them registered the points Sherman & Baldwin were making.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #308
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I think, barring RGIII hooking up with a true Quarterback guru (Harbaugh-esque), he's pretty much toast. I'd put him close to being in the same bucket as Alex Smith earlier in his career.

Talent
Questionable Coaches
Injuries
Lackluster talent around him
I saw articles from both Barnwell at Grantland and Cosell at Yahoo this week that go in to some of his problems. As bad as his footwork and comfort in the pocket are, the parts that stand out to me are that he's accurate, he was accurate on deep passes in college, and great on play-action his first year... Yet Jay Gruden's come in and taken out all the plays Shanahan brought from Baylor, hasn't run a ton of play action, and Griffin's poor performance is mostly due to taking wayyyyy too many sacks. I don't think he'll ever approach the heights we thought in 2012, but I think any QB with his accuracy can be an average+ NFL starter if he's put in an offense that plays to his strengths. Clearly Gruden isn't willing to do that, and that seems way too early to give up on a young QB who played at a pro bowl level all of 2 seasons ago.

Alex Smith is a pretty good comp in that he was always accurate even when things were going badly he was still accurate, and now he's found an offense based around those strengths. RGIII can be him with a better deep ball.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #309
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They said on ESPN he was maybe only worth a 6th. Sign me up for that every day of the week.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Texans and Titans should be all over that, among others.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #311
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They said on ESPN he was maybe only worth a 6th. Sign me up for that every day of the week.
6th is crazy... 4th that potentially upgrades to a 2nd?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #312
mattlanta
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I think there's a reasonable chance Atlanta wins the division while going 0-10 outside the NFC South.
I wish the Falcons got rid of Mike Smith after the botched playcalling in London. That was a game that I thought showed how little this team believes in Smith anymore. I don't know who in our organization would be able to be an interim head coach, but I don't think any of them would do worse than Smith right now... Last week's botched timeout call was embarrassing and stupid. I keep thinking to myself that if Smith wasn't our head coach, we would probably be 6-5.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #313
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
6th is crazy... 4th that potentially upgrades to a 2nd?

Seems far more likely. There's zero chance he goes for a 6th.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh I agree. Something about his yr5 option being a guaranteed 18M meaning you're getting 1 year. I guess that makes some sense.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #315
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I saw articles from both Barnwell at Grantland and Cosell at Yahoo this week that go in to some of his problems. As bad as his footwork and comfort in the pocket are, the parts that stand out to me are that he's accurate, he was accurate on deep passes in college, and great on play-action his first year... Yet Jay Gruden's come in and taken out all the plays Shanahan brought from Baylor, hasn't run a ton of play action, and Griffin's poor performance is mostly due to taking wayyyyy too many sacks. I don't think he'll ever approach the heights we thought in 2012, but I think any QB with his accuracy can be an average+ NFL starter if he's put in an offense that plays to his strengths. Clearly Gruden isn't willing to do that, and that seems way too early to give up on a young QB who played at a pro bowl level all of 2 seasons ago.

Alex Smith is a pretty good comp in that he was always accurate even when things were going badly he was still accurate, and now he's found an offense based around those strengths. RGIII can be him with a better deep ball.

To be fair to Washington, there have been rumors that RG3 is the one who wanted the Baylor plays gone because he did not want to be known as a running QB.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #316
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlanta View Post
I wish the Falcons got rid of Mike Smith after the botched playcalling in London. That was a game that I thought showed how little this team believes in Smith anymore. I don't know who in our organization would be able to be an interim head coach, but I don't think any of them would do worse than Smith right now... Last week's botched timeout call was embarrassing and stupid. I keep thinking to myself that if Smith wasn't our head coach, we would probably be 6-5.

It is amazing what happened to Mike Smith. Wasn't he getting kudos for his in game coaching decisions what two years ago?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-26-2014 at 09:22 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tannehill is the RG3 we need. RG3 is the RG3 we deserve.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #318
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My theory:

Jerry Jones makes a play for Johnny Manziel after Cleveland re-signs Hoyer to a 2 year deal. Manziel is still in Clevelands plans, so the price is a bit high.

Instead, Jones trades a late rounder for RGIII and he serves as insurance behind Romo.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't see how Wash would trade him intradivision at this point. Makes no sense, especially with the upside there.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #320
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Maybe Dallas comes at them with a 2nd rounder and no one else offers better than a 4, but you have a point there.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #321
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
My theory:

Jerry Jones makes a play for Johnny Manziel after Cleveland re-signs Hoyer to a 2 year deal. Manziel is still in Clevelands plans, so the price is a bit high.

Instead, Jones trades a late rounder for RGIII and he serves as insurance behind Romo.

I'd be so down for that.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #322
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
My theory:

Not much insurance and a steep price if he keeps bouncing balls at his receivers feet.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #323
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Being dealt to Dallas feels like it would be a bad thing. Romo isn't stepping down that soon. RGIII is just going to be sitting on the bench for "x" amount of years, and when he finally is called to play, I can't imagine he'll do much. Who knows how Mallet will pan out, but his sitting for so long I think really did hurt him so I don't see RGIII benefiting from it either.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #324
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Not much insurance and a steep price if he keeps bouncing balls at his receivers feet.
He's completing 69.7% of his passes, 2nd to Drew Brees' 70.3% among guys with 100+ passes, and has a career QB rating of 90.8... Accuracy isn't his problem.

Now, Mallett I'll disagree with Matthean on. Huge arm, but has never had the accuracy or decision making necessary. Fwiw, Aaron Rodgers sat the same number of seasons (3).
Old 11-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #325
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't see how Wash would trade him intradivision at this point. Makes no sense, especially with the upside there.

Snyder existing doesn't make sense so who knows
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote