Favored Bitch #1

sad
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #302
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Questions that I haven't seen answered (or mentioned) anywhere.

Is Manziel a frat member at A&M?

How did he happen to pick that first frat party? Did he have a friend(s) at UT-A that had something to do with his choice of attendance? Or did he literally just wander around campus until he spotted a keg(s)?

Jon I'm fairly certain thaat active NCAA athletes are prohibited from joining frats/sors.

Actually Ill ask about this in more detail. I know it was forbidden when I played, not that youd have time anyway, and it is not allowed currently at Clemson, but come to think of it I am not 100% thats not a team rule
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #303
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

SO scratch that.
perfectly legal...but strongly advised against by compliance.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #304
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
SO scratch that.

I was gonna say, I knew Sanchez was in a frat at USC...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #305
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Johnny is not in a frat. He was in Austin the past weekend supposedly hanging out with buddy Malcolm Brown, a RB for the Dark Side, and others. Apparently, everyone was having a grand old time until some of the frat daddies got a little irritated with all the attention JFF was getting. Nothing big, nothing bad, and nothing newsworthy. He still doesn't understand that every move he makes is magnified I guess. It will be great when his ass is locked up for fall ball

Also, sad and horrible news out of Utah/New Mexico. Way too young
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SO scratch that.

FWIW, my initial guess was that it wasn't allowed but my wife remembered that several players were in fraternities back in her days at UT Knoxville.

That's what led to me wondering if JF might be as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #307
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Wow...
OK.

Then again Colin Kap wore a Fins hat so maybe it doesnt matter.

I think the lack of judgement is the issue...that and the lack of preperation.

I just don't think it's going to derail his NFL career or result him getting "paid like other college kids" instead of "8 or 9 figures". The NFL couldn't give two shits about college football rivalry ethics. I'm sure Manning, Marino, and Favre all had their wild drunken college exploits as well, college life was was just a little more self-contained and free from media scrutiny back then. I think it's just off-putting for a lot of people when a guy reaches this level of celebrity status when he's still in school. Mark Sanchez got close to that level, but I think L.A. just maybe has a better celebrity infrastructure of keeping some things away from the public eye. Neither College Station or Manziel has that level of sophistication.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #308
Logan
Head Coach

To be fair, Marino fell in the draft on rumors of drug use right?

I think the league learned their lesson on that one.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #309
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I just don't think it's going to derail his NFL career or result him getting "paid like other college kids" instead of "8 or 9 figures". The NFL couldn't give two shits about college football rivalry ethics. I'm sure Manning, Marino, and Favre all had their wild drunken college exploits as well, college life was was just a little more self-contained and free from media scrutiny back then. I think it's just off-putting for a lot of people when a guy reaches this level of celebrity status when he's still in school. Mark Sanchez got close to that level, but I think L.A. just maybe has a better celebrity infrastructure of keeping some things away from the public eye. Neither College Station or Manziel has that level of sophistication.

Actually, stuff has a way of getting out in LA, not staying in. This ain't a town for secrets.

I don't think Sanchez stayed at USC long enough to get the kind of attention anywhere near what Manziel is seeing. Closest parallel locally was Leinart and Bush in the glory days around 2005--and they got a ton of attention for it. For whatever reason, they were better at keeping the actual partying aout of the media and just keeping it to "Leinart showed up at the Grammy's" kinds of stories.

Leinart, of course, got bit by this when he went to Phoenix and actually got some money, since he then had both money and connections.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #310
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't think Sanchez stayed at USC long enough to get the kind of attention anywhere near what Manziel is seeing. Closest parallel locally was Leinart and Bush in the glory days around 2005--and they got a ton of attention for it. For whatever reason, they were better at keeping the actual partying aout of the media and just keeping it to "Leinart showed up at the Grammy's" kinds of stories.

Sanchez and his keepers kept stuff buried, don't ask me how, but they did.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #311
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Manziel family and friends talk about concerns with his behavior and how they feel it may derail his career.....

Heisman winner Johnny Manziel's celebrity could derail the Texas Aggies season - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-30-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #312
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Manziel family and friends talk about concerns with his behavior and how they feel it may derail his career.....

Heisman winner Johnny Manziel's celebrity could derail the Texas Aggies season - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Texas aggies? Fail.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #313
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
SO scratch that.

Yeah I was going to say, I also remember quite a few college athletes joining fraternities/sororities.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #314
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure Manning, Marino, and Favre all had their wild drunken college exploits as well, college life was was just a little more self-contained and free from media scrutiny back then.
Never say never, but having met both Peyton and Archie, I'd be a little surprised if Peyton had a whole lot of wild drunken exploits in college.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of the Mannings, I did my wife a disservice up the thread. Her frame of reference was actually Eli Manning being in a fraternity, not the Willie Gault-era "back in the day" I alluded to.

My bad.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #316
MrBug708
Head Coach

Vanderdoes cleared!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #317
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio State suspends Carlos Hyde for at least first 3 games « Big Ten Network
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #318
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Pretty sure Reggie Bush was partying in the UCLA part of town more than once.

Anyone heard where Michael Dyer is going? I think he can play this fall.

That last I heard he was trying to get into Arkansas, he wants to stay close to the people that helped him at Arkansas Baptist. Yes, he would be eligible to play
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #319
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
That last I heard he was trying to get into Arkansas, he wants to stay close to the people that helped him at Arkansas Baptist. Yes, he would be eligible to play

After I posted this see he applied for enrollment at Louisville and Bridgewater stated they the team would accept him.

Bridgewater on Michael Dyer: Team would 'take him in and welcome him'
Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #320
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Never say never, but having met both Peyton and Archie, I'd be a little surprised if Peyton had a whole lot of wild drunken exploits in college.

Peyton was too busy staying in for a quiet night of sexual harassment for any wild drunken exploits.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #321
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Speaking of the Mannings, I did my wife a disservice up the thread. Her frame of reference was actually Eli Manning being in a fraternity, not the Willie Gault-era "back in the day" I alluded to.

My bad.

Both Archie and Eli were Sigma Nu at Ole Miss.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #322
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To be fair, Marino fell in the draft on rumors of drug use right?

I think the league learned their lesson on that one.

Yeah his nickname at the time around here was Snowman Dan
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #323
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Drinking in college and having a good time (or mooning female trainers and forcing your school to pay out a settlement) is not evil, nor is it mutually exclusive with being nice to people.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #324
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Drinking in college and having a good time (or mooning female trainers and forcing your school to pay out a settlement) is not evil, nor is it mutually exclusive with being nice to people.
Didn't say they were.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #325
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Didn't say they were.

Then what about meeting Archie and Peyton convinces you that they didn't have their own wild booze-fueled adventures in college?

Edit: Didn't we all go to college with plenty of people who went a little nuts on occasion but somehow managed to be productive adults? And the athlete parties always had the reputation of being crazier than anything we were doing.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #326
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Then what about meeting Archie and Peyton convinces you that they didn't have their own wild booze-fueled adventures in college?

Edit: Didn't we all go to college with plenty of people who went a little nuts on occasion but somehow managed to be productive adults? And the athlete parties always had the reputation of being crazier than anything we were doing.
From meeting them, talking with them and reading their book, neither one of them seemed like they had the wild drunken fun aspect to their personalities, but I agree that's not something you can always assess in limited contact with them.

And I said I'd be "...a little surpised..." and not "...I'm convinced they didn't..."
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #327
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Pretty sure Reggie Bush was partying in the UCLA part of town more than once.

Anyone heard where Michael Dyer is going? I think he can play this fall.

Dyer reportedly headed to Louisville

Dyer reportedly headed to UofL
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #328
Kodos
Resident Alien

2013 Conference Predictions - CBSSports.com
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #329
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
Dyer reportedly headed to Louisville

Dyer reportedly headed to UofL

Surprised that Strong would allow a potential distraction like Dyer (albeit a very talented one) on a team poised for a potential undefeated run. Getting booted from Arkie State should be all you need to say "thanks but no thanks". Arkansas Baptist College?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #330
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Surprised that Strong would allow a potential distraction like Dyer (albeit a very talented one) on a team poised for a potential undefeated run. Getting booted from Arkie State should be all you need to say "thanks but no thanks". Arkansas Baptist College?
Idk. I saw the story a couple days ago and it made a couple good points. He's never been arrested, the gun he keeps getting linked to was legally registered, and he does seem to have turned a corner at Arkansas Baptist (and by choosing Arkansas Baptist over just going some place he could play football.)

Late edit to make clear I don't think he's a choir boy, but I don't think he's any large degree worse than most BCS-level players. This isn't some Lawrence Phillips situation where he's been arrested and charged with beating a woman or anything and schools are just trotting out the "rehabilitated image" when we all know its a sham.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-02-2013 at 08:42 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #331
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Makes me wonder how much you've followed Strong, or if you've just listened to the hype.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #332
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:

Urban stated at one point that Strong was a huge influence in Fla's locker room, so he must feel that he and his leaders can keep Dyer in check.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #333
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Makes me wonder how much you've followed Strong, or if you've just listened to the hype.

Please elaborate. When my Aggies finally came to their senses and canned Sherman, Strong and Sumlin were my 1a and 1b choices. Both seemed to be 2 intelligent coaches who could relate to the kids and get the most out of them. When digging a little deeper, Charlie said some things that made me scratch my head, but nothing that threw up the red flags. Are low-character guys the norm for him? I really like what he did when he fixed the mess that Kragthorpe left behind (player revolts, nonperformance, etc).
Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #334
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess I don't follow what's happening very well at all

Formation of Division 4 is the next game-changer in college football - CBSSports.com

The article, to me, was confusing. There is a Division 1, 2 and 3 and they are proposing a Division of non-Big 5 conferences? Doesn't Division 4 imply something lower than Division 3?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #335
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I guess I don't follow what's happening very well at all

Formation of Division 4 is the next game-changer in college football - CBSSports.com

The article, to me, was confusing. There is a Division 1, 2 and 3 and they are proposing a Division of non-Big 5 conferences? Doesn't Division 4 imply something lower than Division 3?

My guess is it'll end up being something other than Division 4 if and when this does actually occur. For now, it's a convenient shorthand like the Catholic 7 for the then-Big East breakaway schools.

This is also a way for the NCAA to placate the revenue generators and keep them in the organizational structure, rather than breaking away from the NCAA and killing it.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #336
britrock88
Pro Starter

Division 0 for the big conferences?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #337
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Division $ for the big conferences?

Fixed it!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #338
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My guess is it'll end up being something other than Division 4 if and when this does actually occur. For now, it's a convenient shorthand like the Catholic 7 for the then-Big East breakaway schools.

This is also a way for the NCAA to placate the revenue generators and keep them in the organizational structure, rather than breaking away from the NCAA and killing it.

Thank you.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #339
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I still don't see how that works with Title 9 and the fact that many of the schools in a new division would still be taking millions from student fees/tuition before they start paying players.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #340
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I still don't see how that works with Title 9 and the fact that many of the schools in a new division would still be taking millions from student fees/tuition before they start paying players.

Title IX is going to be the big stumbling block to all of this in general (paying players) I think. But this isn't designed to worry about that IMO. This is a move (if it comes to fruition) to make sure the highest revenue schools get as much money as possible so they don't bolt the NCAA and cause the death of the organization.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia Tech has picked a new radio pbp guy. Butler University's Brandon Gaudin, all 29 years old of him.

I must admit that he does kinda remind me of Wes Durham, hopefully that's a good sign for the future.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #342
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Please elaborate. When my Aggies finally came to their senses and canned Sherman, Strong and Sumlin were my 1a and 1b choices. Both seemed to be 2 intelligent coaches who could relate to the kids and get the most out of them. When digging a little deeper, Charlie said some things that made me scratch my head, but nothing that threw up the red flags. Are low-character guys the norm for him? I really like what he did when he fixed the mess that Kragthorpe left behind (player revolts, nonperformance, etc).

I'm going to say this as fairly as I can and try very hard to hide my personal bias.

Charlie has never shyed away from taking on a morality project or troubled kid.
Your personal opinion will likely determine whether that's because he is a confident strong willed coach who thinks he can improve troubled young lives, or conversely, doesn't care who they kill Monday thru Friday as long as they kill the opponent on Saturday.

Obviously I fall in the second camp.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #343
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ing-autographs

Oops.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #344
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It boggles the mind that he'd be so stupid as to take money for autographs. That isn't exactly some arcane rule, which leads to the following conclusions:

A) The story is patently false
B) The story is true, but it's an arrangement where he won't get paid until after he turns pro
C) The story is completely true, and Manziel (and his advisers) are monumentally stupid
D) The story is completely true, and for whatever reason he/they want him to be declared ineligible (towards what endgame I have no idea)
Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #345
MrBug708
Head Coach

If he's deemed ineligible, this might slow Sumlin's rush to the NFL
Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #346
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Even if he misses part of the season, 'Bama is game 3.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #347
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Also - isn't his family quite wealthy? Why would he feel the need to try and get some cash now? The story just doesn't make a whole lot of sense...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #348
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also - isn't his family quite wealthy? Why would he feel the need to try and get some cash now? The story just doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Hubris. He thinks he is untouchable. He is in the SEC, so he is probably right.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #349
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Oil money IIRC
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #350
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As the ESPN reporter who broke it was talking about, you see NFL players who make $15 million a year getting extra cash for signatures.