Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #301
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I could see Palin easily pulling down more money than anyone but O'Reilly for her own FOX show.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #302
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I could see Palin easily pulling down more money than anyone but O'Reilly for her own FOX show.

Short term I could see this, but how many years does she have? She hasn't sown a previous ability to be an interesting commentator and given the way she flopped in the fall I don't think she can be a great interviewer, even in the Hannity mould. TV is also a pretty hard job, and she has a history of quitting.

Like I said, there's money to be made, but the window is small. If she's actually chasing the money it's a good decision to do it now before time runs out.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #303
Flasch186
Coordinator

FWIW the FBI investigation is NOT true:

FBI spokesman: We're not investigating Palin - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- The FBI, in a rare response to rampant rumors on the Internet, said it is not investigating Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on public corruption charges.
Alaska's Sarah Palin is stepping down as governor at the end of the month.

Alaska's Sarah Palin is stepping down as governor at the end of the month.

"Normally, we don't confirm or deny those kind of allegations out there. But, by not doing so, it just casts her in a very bad light," said FBI Special Agent Eric Gonzalez, who confirmed for CNN the statement he made to the Anchorage Daily News. "There is just no truth to those rumors out there in the blogosphere."

Gonzalez told The Los Angeles Times that there was "no wiggle room" in his comments for any kind of inquiry.

The speculation began almost immediately after Palin's unexpected announcement on Friday that she would step down as Alaska's chief executive with 18 months left in her term.

Palin, who was John McCain's surprise vice presidential candidate in the 2008 election, said she already knew she would not seek a second term and decided against being a lame duck governor for the next 18 months.

She also said too much time and taxpayer expense were going toward fighting ethics investigations, and that the mainstream media were continuing with unfair attacks on her and her family.

Some analysts think Palin will seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, and that her resignation is intended to free her to prepare.
Don't Miss

* Conservatives react to announcement
* Successor: Palin is Alaska's greatest gift to U.S.
* Palin stepping down this month

Immediate reaction to Palin's resignation among fellow conservatives was not positive.

Karl Rove, the "architect" of George W. Bush's successful presidential campaigns, said the resignation left many of Palin's fellow Republicans "a little perplexed."

"It's a risky strategy," Rove told "Fox News Sunday."

"Astounding," was the pronouncement by Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and conservative columnist George Will said Palin was declaring herself a quitter.

"The one that rings most hollow is she doesn't want to put Alaska through the terror of [her] being a lame-duck governor," Will told the ABC program "This Week." "If she is just weary of it, one can understand that. Still, she made a contract with them [voters] to serve out her term. And she said, in her own words, she now is a quitter."

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country," Palin said in a statement attributed to her on her Facebook page.

"And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every Amer

News /= Blogs

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #304
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, someone on another discussion board posted this, which made me laugh.

Palin telling people that Hillary Clinton needed to suck it up when it came to negative coverage..

YouTube - Sarah Quitter Palin Said Hillary Clinton Should Not Whine About The Media.

back in March 2008 calls out Hillary Clinton for "whining" about how the press is scrutinizing her: "you’ve gotta plow through that...With all due respect…That doesn’t do us any good, women in politics...Fair or unfair, it is there"

So to complain about how the media's hounding her now.. as I said.. one in the long line of hypocritical decisions by Sarah Palin
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #305
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah I've quoted that a few times. Jon Stewart showed a clip of it during a segment where he nailed GOP talking heads on their hypocrisy.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #306
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah I've quoted that a few times. Jon Stewart showed a clip of it during a segment where he nailed GOP talking heads on their hypocrisy.

It's possible to think that both are treated unfairly.

The Daily Show's of the world can't even fathom free thought like that.

And I don't think Palin cited emotional sensitives to criticism in her resignation speech.

Last edited by molson : 07-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #307
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's possible to think that both are treated unfairly.

Never said it wasn't, but the point is Palin's (and the right wing's) hypocrisy. She thought Hilary should quit whining about unfair treatment because it made women look bad, but when it was her turn, suddenly everything changed.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #308
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The Daily Show's of the world can't even fathom free thought like that.

Except the point of the Daily Show segment was to show that the same people who didn't think Hilary was being treated unfairly suddenly took up the feminist cause for Sarah Palin. It was in fact criticizing them for not having the kind of free thought you randomly claim the Daily Show cannot fathom.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #309
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Sarah Palin Gender Card
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorJason Jones in Iran

Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #310
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

That is a great Daily Show segment. I don't see how anyone can make excuses for the blatant hypocrisy shown in that one.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #311
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
That is a great Daily Show segment. I don't see how anyone can make excuses for the blatant hypocrisy shown in that one.

omg i hadn't seen that till now. that's a beautiful clip!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #312
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Except the point of the Daily Show segment was to show that the same people who didn't think Hilary was being treated unfairly suddenly took up the feminist cause for Sarah Palin. It was in fact criticizing them for not having the kind of free thought you randomly claim the Daily Show cannot fathom.

You're right, it was a random left field comment. I just hate the daily show. Everything has to be obnoxiously partisan. Why can't they ever mock say, the obvious sexism both Clinton and Palin face? That's the most important point, IMO, and there's no audience for it because it criticizes both sides, so nobody will go there. The only thing anyone cares about is feeling superior to their political ideological opponents.

Last edited by molson : 07-06-2009 at 11:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #313
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
You're right, it was a random left field comment. I just hate the daily show. Everything has to be obnoxiously partisan. Why can't they ever mock say, the obvious sexism both Clinton and Palin face? That's the most important point, IMO, and there's no audience for it because it criticizes both sides, so nobody will go there. The only thing anyone cares about is feeling superior to their political ideological opponents.

I know we've had discussions on this before, and it would be totally insane to suggest that the daily show doesn't have a liberal bias. Its obvious who Stewart likes and doesn't like. HOWEVER, the media is a huge target of the show, and not anywhere close to just Fox News. The insanity and absurdity of the 24/7 news cycle and CNN and MSNBC are brought up with regularity. Hypocrisy by Obama, most notably in places where he has copied speeches made by Bush word for word, and Obama's promises for transparency in government(which he appears to be backtracking from on a daily basis), are not uncommon targets at all. Bill Clinton was a common target when he lost his mind during the primaries, despite being a beloved liberal figure, or whatever you want to call him.

Anyway, I know you won't ever like the show, and you've got a legitimate point about the value in mocking sexism in a non-partisan way, but I just feel the need to point out that the show is more than willing to go after the absurdities of the left as well whenever this comes up

Last edited by Radii : 07-06-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #314
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm an indendent and I never really saw the Daily Show as partisian. I think the ones attacking the Right get more attention because the audience online is younger and more liberal. But if you watch it regularly, both sides get hammered. In fact, I think he's blasted CNN and MSNBC way more than Fox in the last few months.

You have to admit though that the right has given much more material over the last few years for them to make fun of. The show is still about humor and there isn't much in whining about sexism for both sides. It's much funnier to show a bunch of people making fools of themselves.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-06-2009 at 11:54 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #315
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm an indendent and I never really saw the Daily Show as partisian. I think the ones attacking the Right get more attention because the audience online is younger and more liberal. But if you watch it regularly, both sides get hammered. In fact, I think he's blasted CNN and MSNBC way more than Fox in the last few months.

You have to admit though that the right has given much more material over the last few years for them to make fun of. The show is still about humor and there isn't much in whining about sexism for both sides. It's much funnier to show a bunch of people making fools of themselves.

You're kidding right? During the election is was one of the most bias shows I've ever seen. I completely stopped watching it because of how bad it had become.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #316
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's also harder to make fun of the Democrats because Obama is the face of the party, and he is a fundamentally serious and un-funny guy.

And it's not a liberal/conservative thing. Bill Clinton was a font of humor. W. Bush was a font of humor. I still don't see what the hook is for Obama, parody-wise. He refuses to use irony. He takes himself and everything so seriously that you can't get in edgewise to crack a good joke.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #317
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Bill Clinton was a font of humor. W. Bush was a font of humor. I still don't see what the hook is for Obama, parody-wise. He refuses to use irony. He takes himself and everything so seriously that you can't get in edgewise to crack a good joke.

Yeah, we haven't seen Obama set himself up for laughs like Bush did, what with the public speaking issues and doing stuff like the African dance. I don't see Obama ever doing that, or even giving more than a passing acknowledgement to some circumstance that might provoke some laughs or poking fun at him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #318
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I didn't think going after Jim Kramer was very partisan. But anyway, you've a right to hate what you hate.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't see Obama ever doing that, or even giving more than a passing acknowledgement to some circumstance that might provoke some laughs or poking fun at him.

Actually even I had to give him credit for a line he used at the press dinner that was mentioned in an wire article over the weekend that focused on the cozy relationship he has with the networks. It was to the effect that he was having trouble sleeping, worrying about health care, really tossing and turning "so I rolled over and asked Brian Williams what I should do".

I thought it was a damned good line and actually showed a reasonable sense of humor. What would be interesting to know (but we probably won't until years from now if ever) is whether he liked it or even came up with the idea himself or if he had to be talked into doing it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #320
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

This is probably my favorite Daily Show clip ever. I love it when he shows people "flip flopping" when it suits their needs. It doesn't matter to me if it is democrat or republican. Just the other day, Stewart was nailing Obama for the reversal of the "transparency of government".

Last edited by fantom1979 : 07-07-2009 at 08:57 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #321
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
You're kidding right? During the election is was one of the most bias shows I've ever seen. I completely stopped watching it because of how bad it had become.

I think he plays the role of populist and goes after the easiest targets. The country was shitting pretty hard on Republicans for the past few years and I think he just helped pile on. Obama is a tough target to attack for a variety of reasons, but I don't think it was because he was a Democrat.

His show has frequently targeted Dems over the last 6 months. Everyone from Obama to Pelosi. He's attacked "liberal media outlets" like MSNBC and CNN. If you watch the show nowadays, he attacks the left more than he attacks the right. I know the right has a little thinner skin on attacks, but just because someone makes fun of them doesn't make them a bleeding heart liberal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #322
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Inviting an ABC reporter to cover your family vacation is an odd way to show how much you want the media would leave you alone.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #323
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually even I had to give him credit for a line he used at the press dinner that was mentioned in an wire article over the weekend that focused on the cozy relationship he has with the networks. It was to the effect that he was having trouble sleeping, worrying about health care, really tossing and turning "so I rolled over and asked Brian Williams what I should do".

I thought it was a damned good line and actually showed a reasonable sense of humor. What would be interesting to know (but we probably won't until years from now if ever) is whether he liked it or even came up with the idea himself or if he had to be talked into doing it.

My understanding is that the press dinners are basically like self-roasts and they have a monologue of jokes they read off a teleprompter provided by writers like a late night talk show host would have. That's not really an off the cuff, unguarded moment of joking around or frivolity in an otherwise serious setting.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #324
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My understanding is that the press dinners are basically like self-roasts and they have a monologue of jokes they read off a teleprompter provided by writers like a late night talk show host would have. That's not really an off the cuff, unguarded moment of joking around or frivolity in an otherwise serious setting.

Eh, some people just aren't the off the cuff joke around type. I'll still credit a reasonable amount of sense of humor for being willing to do that joke, no matter who wrote it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No px pls thx

Father of Palin's grandson to pose for Playgirl *| ajc.com

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Levi Johnston is going for the ultimate exposure — his bare body.

Posing nude for Playgirl is next for the 19-year-old father of Sarah Palin's grandchild. Johnston's attorney, Rex Butler, said Wednesday that a formal agreement has not been reached with the online magazine but adds it's a "foregone conclusion" it will happen.

Johnston fathered a child with Bristol, the 18-year-old daughter of Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice presidential candidate and former Alaska governor.

To get ready for his close-up, Johnston is training three hours a day, six nights a week at an Anchorage gym with a local body builder, Marvin Jones, a former Mr. Alaska competitor.

Playgirl spokesman Vincent Stevens could not immediately be reached for comment.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #326
Schmidty
Coordinator

Didn't even know there was a Playgirl. Gross.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #327
Kodos
Resident Alien

He better watch out for where the staples hit him... cuz, OUCH!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #328
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I guess good for him. His 15 minutes are almost up. Might as well cash in as much as possible.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #329
JediKooter
Coordinator

Notice Glenn Beck isn't saying anything about this? I can't say for sure he subscribes to Playgirl as I have never heard him deny it. I'm not saying he really does, but, he hasn't proved otherwise.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote