Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #301
chinaski
College Prospect

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but heres a nice little video update from the devs on co-op play... looks pretty slick.
VE3D Video for Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360) - Voodoo Extreme
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #302
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Today, there is a video blog from E3 showing a bit of the "Extra Point" weekly show. What they showed looks impressive. I love that you can easily select what portion of the show you want to watch:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...hise-mode.aspx

Edit to add: They also announced that after games, there will be an interview with the player of the game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #303
JediKooter
Coordinator

That is cool. It sounds like they are taking the steps to make the franchise mode much better.

My interest has piqued a few percentage points.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #304
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Darn. It was confirmed by Ian that the Extra Point show does not have highlights from other games around the league, but that is something they want to add "either in a patch, DLC, or 2011." It just has the guys talking about different events around the league.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #305
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Well, I'm all in...sold Madden 09 while I could still get something out of it. I hope I'm not severely disappointed by this. I'm feeling very optimistic right now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #306
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Well, I'm all in...sold Madden 09 while I could still get something out of it. I hope I'm not severely disappointed by this. I'm feeling very optimistic right now.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the '10 version will be an improvement over '09. It wouldn't take much. I don't think selling 09 was much of a gamble.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-03-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #307
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

MBBF, you didn't like Madden 09? Damn I had no idea.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #308
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Darn. It was confirmed by Ian that the Extra Point show does not have highlights from other games around the league, but that is something they want to add "either in a patch, DLC, or 2011." It just has the guys talking about different events around the league.

When they do they can finally catch part of ESPN NFL 2k5
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #309
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

NFL 2K5 had more bugs than Madden 08 and Madden 09 combined. There were just some parts that played better than madden, and the ESPN highlight show was cool...until you realized it was only about 2 dozen different plays recycled over and over just with different uniforms.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-03-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #310
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A bunch of videos from E3 are available on OS. The first one I just watched confirms that accelerated clock is in and that you can set how much time you want to run off the clock each huddle. It also confirms that there are at least 3 playable camera angles and an official coach mode.

Here is the link to at least 1 of the videos:

Madden NFL 10 Video: Halftime Report (Chase @ E3)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #311
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think it's fairly safe to say that the '10 version will be an improvement over '09. It wouldn't take much. I don't think selling 09 was much of a gamble.

I'm not denying that, but getting $20 out of it now and suffering without a game for a couple of months is better than waiting till 10 comes out and getting $3 out of 09.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #312
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
A bunch of videos from E3 are available on OS. The first one I just watched confirms that accelerated clock is in and that you can set how much time you want to run off the clock each huddle. It also confirms that there are at least 3 playable camera angles and an official coach mode.

Those were the "highlights" of a 20-7 game? Looks like more of the same old Madden.

Don't get me wrong, I "want" to believe...

Last edited by mrsimperless : 06-03-2009 at 07:46 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #313
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Those were the "highlights" of a 20-7 game? Looks like more of the same old Madden.

Don't get me wrong, I "want" to believe...

Yeah, and how awkward was that transition to the halftime show? 5-10 seconds of a lineman standing in the "ready position", then the most robotic Lesley Visser (?) voiceover ever.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #314
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well.. Bill Abner likes the gameplay so far.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #315
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Are we sure that's a final cut of the game? Seems a little unfinished and that they would be touching up the awkward transitions.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #316
bhlloy
Coordinator

So let's take a look at the scorecard:

completely non existent and unrealistic pass rush - check
db's breaking way before the WR on a horribly underthrown deep ball for an easy interception - check
absolutely unrelated and pointless animation followed by 5 seconds of players standing around for no reason - check

Pretty safe to say for a 2 minute video, I couldn't be more underwhelmed by the gameplay. If that's the final cut, I can pretty much already say forget it. Even if it's not, looks like the same old again this year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #317
sabotai
General Manager

Here's a video of the gameplay on gametrailers

Madden NFL 10 Video Game, E3 09: Colts Vs Texans Gameplay (Cam) HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #318
Epi_862
Mascot

I've had it. See, i like Madden 09, a lot of people do. It's nice to talk about madden 10 and what it might bring to the table. Nice to read some comments during my coffee-break.

But now, you have to constantly show up and be stupid as hell. Now look, this is you:

Quote:
The developer has set the bar level high and I applaud him for doing that. Don't get suckered into past iterations and their expectations. If our expectations are that this year's iteration will be better than the previous iteration of Madden, is that really a high bar to clear? Absolutely not. The developer has set his goals at a quality level. Gamers shouldn't settle for anything less. We need more developers who set the bar high in the gaming industry.

But by the marvel of multi-tabbed browsing and the internet in general, this is you TOO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
I've hated the NASCAR console releases up until now and I'm VERY excited that we're going to get a good sim version of that sport.

Now. I could really post a long ass tirade about how you suck and people really don't care about your opinion, but i wont. I'll just sit back and see how you'll explain it. So getting exited about Madden is stupid, but Nascar devs SAY they're making a better game, and thats OK to get exited about.

Also, just wanted to say this: I loved Madden 09.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #319
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
So getting exited about Madden is stupid, but Nascar devs SAY they're making a better game, and thats OK to get exited about.

Also, just wanted to say this: I loved Madden 09.

Uhhhhh, you do know that the NASCAR reference in the other thread was not related to the EA NASCAR game, right? Gran Turismo 5 is expected to have a full NASCAR career mode. While we have no clue when Polyphony Digital will release that game because of the LONG development cycle that they use, it's a given that game will be developed and tested to the fullest extent needed to make it a top-notch game. There's no way that could be said about the Madden franchise at this point.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #320
Kodos
Resident Alien

Gran Turismo is the most boring game outside of the MGS series. And I love the other cars that are out for a nice drive, rather than actually fighting to beat you.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #321
Logan
Head Coach

Oh now you've done it...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #322
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Gran Turismo is the most boring game outside of the MGS series. And I love the other cars that are out for a nice drive, rather than actually fighting to beat you.

It's definitely a like it, hate it game because it's a racing sim. But there's no question that they're a model of what SHOULD happen to develop a quality game.

For the record, I did not bring this conversation into this thread. That was Epi's doing. Feel free to return to your regularly scheduled Madden banter. There's no need to talk about an unrelated game that won't be released for 10 years in a Madden thread.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #323
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

All that's left is for him to pull the "my video game developers can kick your video game developers ass" card and MBBF will have officially degenerated to pre-teen in this thread.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #324
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
All that's left is for him to pull the "my video game developers can kick your video game developers ass" card and MBBF will have officially degenerated to pre-teen in this thread.

People like you allow the rest of the world to understand how Nanci Pelosi and the Terminator were elected to public office.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #325
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I owe MBBF an apology, he only owns 12% of the posts in this thread, as aposed to the 20% I estimated earlier. That's still not a bad clip in a thread with well over 300 posts that's based entirely around improvements for a game he has no intention of playing.

Maybe I should head over to the Werewolf threads and start talking about how idiotic they are, and post just 3-4 times a day or so. I don't see the problem with it, if they don't like what I have to say, they can just ignore me!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-04-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I..........

You should have just stopped after this. Several of my posts in this thread were in response to your stupid snipes. I wouldn't be posting nearly as much if you were walking around this thread with your pants around your ankles. The less you post stupid comments about me that have nothing to do with the discussion, the less I post. Move along.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #327
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
It's definitely a like it, hate it game because it's a racing sim. But there's no question that they're a model of what SHOULD happen to develop a quality game.

But that's the point. THE OTHER CARS AREN'T RACING. They are just driving around the track in their predetermined paths. There is no fighting for position. No drafting. Just drive along the predetermined best path. If other cars pass them, no big deal. The cpu drivers think to themselves: "I'll just continue my drive like I'm the only one on the track."

Gran Turismo always LOOKS pretty, but there is absolutely no feeling that the other cars are trying to beat you.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #328
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
stupid comments about me that have nothing to do with the discussion.

Hello Kettle.

Hold on let me find the posts from you that aren't red herrings directed at EA/The Madden Series.

Ok here they are.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #329
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But that's the point. THE OTHER CARS AREN'T RACING. They are just driving around the track in their predetermined paths. There is no fighting for position. No drafting. Just drive along the predetermined best path. If other cars pass them, no big deal. The cpu drivers think to themselves: "I'll just continue my drive like I'm the only one on the track."

Sounds like restrictor plate racing to me.

I don't disagree. The AI in previous versions could be better, which has been mentioned by the developers in this development cycle as one of the big reasons for the delays. The fact that they're adding damage in this version only further necessitates that the AI be revamped.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #330
Kodos
Resident Alien

It may not look as pretty, but I'll take Rumble Racing or Burnout any day of the week over Gran Turismo.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #331
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
It's definitely a like it, hate it game

Good sir! Surely you are not suggesting that the like or dislike of a game is SUBJECTIVE, or even dependent on the observer?

Im speechless.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #332
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
Good sir! Surely you are not suggesting that the like or dislike of a game is SUBJECTIVE, or even dependent on the observer?

Im speechless.

Whether a game is appealing to various grops of gamers and whether a game is well-designed and tested properly are two totally different discussions.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #333
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ian has posted the first quarter of a game with 10 minute quarters and accelerated clock on with him as the Chiefs playing the CPU led Falcons. He'll be posting the entire game over the next few days:

First quarter - Falcons (CPU) vs. Chiefs (me) - Operation Sports Forums

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-11-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #334
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks pretty sweet, aside from a couple of odd things like the celebration that didn't involve the player who scored.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #335
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks pretty sweet, aside from a couple of odd things like the celebration that didn't involve the player who scored.

Yeah, that and the wrong team celebrating after the fumble recovery are acknowledged bugs that are on the list to be fixed before it goes gold.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #336
bhlloy
Coordinator

Which team won the fumble recovery? I really don't like the idea of the mini-game and it seemed like the Chiefs should have won that won easily (his guy clearly dived on it first and was at the bottom of the pile) I'd hate for that to become an exploit especially in online play.

Overall, I like what I saw in that video. Seemed to be much more of a pass rush (including occasions where the d-end completely blew the tackle off the line and got into the backfield, which needs to happen way more in Madden and NCAA) and some nice passes over the middle with no super linebackers. Hopefully that is not just a reflection of the guy playing on an easy level of difficulty.

Maybe I'll give this a chance... but i'll definitely wait a couple of weeks to hear the reviews.

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #337
RainMaker
General Manager

- The crowd seems better than in previous versions. Still has a few things to work out but much improved. The announcing is atrocious still but I think I can get by with turning it off and just having the crowd running through the surround sound speakers.

- The running game looks a little better. Seeing more defined holes than in the past.

- Passing and pass rush seems the same to me.

- Some new animations made it in which seem cool.

Overall it looks a lot like last year's game with some tweaks. Wonder how close this is to the final product.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #338
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I already don't like this game. I am probably nit picking, but just some of the stuff I saw in previous Madden games has me ticked for this version.

1st play (0:37 seconds in) -- Counter play to the left with Turner. The #2 tight end (Hartsock), runs straight to the left sideline without coming close to blocking anyone. Sure enough, the linebacker on his side (the guy he should have attempted to block) makes the initial contact. The fullback was also completely useless on the play.

On the 2nd play (1:07), the tight end (Gonzalez) does not block the defensive end that is lined up across from him and instead goes after the defensive tackle, who is in the 3 technique (lined up on the shoulder of the offensive guard). The only reason the defensive end does not make a tackle for a 4 yard loss is because the DE is player controlled and he runs the DE right into the fullback.

Quite a few of the CPU running plays I watched had offensive line miscues. I really think that needs to be fixed up before launch.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 06-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #339
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I really don't like the idea of the mini-game

I hate the idea of the mini-game. Fortunately, we are supposed to be able to turn it off.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #340
sabotai
General Manager

The videos for the Titans / Ravens game he did are supposed to be up, but of course youtube won't load for me now...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #341
sabotai
General Manager

He has the full game up on youtube now.

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...1-victory.aspx
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #342
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really liked some things in that video, but the pass rush seemed weak which hurt other areas. Lots of people on OS shared that view and pointed it out to Ian, so he went and looked at the code and found out that some legacy code from when there were weapons was causing issues with the pass rush. Here is a long post where he explains the issue:

Just stumbled across a great find (re: pass rush) - Operation Sports Forums
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #343
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Gotta like that they are taking such a pro-active approach, which may actually lead to this game becoming good again. I don't think this iteration will be quite there, but if they continue to be diligent and listen to fans and critics, the game will eventually be where it should be. Thats a good sign.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #344
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Dola: I'm still waiting for Backbreaker.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #345
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile the NCAA team continues to do really stupid shit. I just read this, this morning (going to copy this to the NCAA online dynasty subforum). This info is from the Gamespot preview and apparently per the developer on OS, they leaked this stuff a few days before they were supposed to do so:

NCAA Football 10: Microtransactions in Dynasty Mode - GameSpot Sports Beat - Gaming News and Videos For Sports Video Games - Football Video Games - Baseball Video Games

It looks like NCAA Football 10 will be getting into the microtransaction game. This morning, while rummaging around the game's dynasty mode menus, I came across an option to "Add a Pipeline State" while setting up my Auburn dynasty. Clicking on that option took me to an XBL menu where, for 150 MS points (or roughly $1.87), I could add a maximum of one more pipeline state (of my choosing) to my recruitment map.

Here's the description for the "Pipeline State Addition" as it appears in the game:
"Pipeline States can help you recruit in an area while playing Dynasty Mode. After purchase you will be able to select a Pipeline State anywhere in the nation to give you another state to help you sign the top recruits. This will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."
In addition to choosing to buy the "Pipeline State Addition" boost individually, the game menu also gives you the choice to purchase "all dynasty accelerators". Choose this option and you're taken to another XBL menu where, for 1000 MS points ($12.50), you can purchase all of the dynasty mode boosts in the game. Here's the description as it appears in the XBL menu:
"Unlocks all of the Dynasty Accelerators: Recruiting Advisor, Coaching Seminar, Toughest Places to Play Boost, School Pitches Improvements, Maximum Player Training, Pipeline State Addition, and Recruiting Reports. These will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-13-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #346
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I really liked some things in that video, but the pass rush seemed weak which hurt other areas. Lots of people on OS shared that view and pointed it out to Ian, so he went and looked at the code and found out that some legacy code from when there were weapons was causing issues with the pass rush. Here is a long post where he explains the issue:

Just stumbled across a great find (re: pass rush) - Operation Sports Forums

Saw this last night. If anyone is still wondering why some people are optimistic for Madden's future, this is a perfect example why. I agree with Julio that this version probably won't be there yet. 1 year isn't enough time. But, I'm hopeful that Madden will actually start to get better.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #347
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A new video is up with 12 plays on All-Pro default sliders with the Bills O-Line vs the Raven's Defense. The pressure looks much better with the fix:

New pass rushing video (in practice mode) - Operation Sports Forums
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #348
RainMaker
General Manager

Pass rush is a million times better there. Doesn't feel like you can just sit in the pocket for 30 seconds till someone gets open. It's like a real football game where you quickly read and react.

The one tweak I'd like to see is the ends push more upward and form a pocket. It still seems too easy for the QB to slide left or right initially (which few QBs ever do). Also, it seems that players get free simply by throwing off their blocker. That's fine at times but it should also be about pushing the lineman backwards a bit. I'd like to see how this works with blitzes and RB pickups.

So far though, a big improvement on one of the aspects of the game that needed a lot of work.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #349
Kodos
Resident Alien

Gotta say. Outside of teambuilder, it's hard to point to something positive in NCAA 2010 over 2009. I guess they say they've fixed pursuit angles.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #350
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ian has posted a video of 2 quarters (7 minutes with accelerated clock) of a game between him (Panthers) and Donny (Raiders) that uses the latest build with the increased pass rush. They both run a lot in these videos, but the difference in the pass rush is very evident on a few plays. The links are in post 1 and 41:

New video - 3rd quarter of Ian vs. Donny - Operation Sports Forums

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-14-2009 at 11:05 AM.