Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #301
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Baserunning is so bad in this game. That's the one thing keeping me from playing as a position player at the moment.

I skip it in this version and I honestly don't miss it at all.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #302
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone having a crash problem the guys over @ OS are having? I'm nearing the end of my first year with my SP and would HATE for this to happen after all the time....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 03-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #303
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My 18 year old SP in AA just won our team the Southern League Title in Game 4.

8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 7 K
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #304
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

If you suck at these games like I do it's still fun if you play rookie hitting, and auto baserunning.

Baserunning sucks so bad it's painful.

I've search some on the internerd but haven't seen anything but other complaints. Playing Franchise every player in player progression has all down arrows - I've set up all the training and every player is getting worse across the board. Anyone know what is up with that?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #305
JS19
College Prospect

So, anyone have a set of sliders they have found effective?? I haven't played this game too much (playoff hockey with NHL 09), I would say maybe 10-12 games or so, and still cant hit for shit. Playing in franchise mode, in case they are different in RTTS.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #306
rowech
Pro Starter

Ordered my PS3 last night and unfortunately just read about the RTTS problems. Very bad in my opinion. It should be a pressing need at this point as that's an entire branch of play that is 100% completely broken. I can't even say I was planning on playing that but it seems as so many people love it that I was at least intrigued by it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #307
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone having a crash problem the guys over @ OS are having? I'm nearing the end of my first year with my SP and would HATE for this to happen after all the time....

I tried reading through that thread, but I was kinda loss with the whole issue, so I'm hoping someone here can help shine some light on the situation for me.

I'm in April 2011 right now, my third season and I'd be very frustrated to lose my game. I haven't updated to 3.0.1, no idea if it changes anything.

Is it expected to happen in every RTTS game? Does it always happen in September? Are we safe once we get past a certain date?
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #308
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
I tried reading through that thread, but I was kinda loss with the whole issue, so I'm hoping someone here can help shine some light on the situation for me.

I'm in April 2011 right now, my third season and I'd be very frustrated to lose my game. I haven't updated to 3.0.1, no idea if it changes anything.

Is it expected to happen in every RTTS game? Does it always happen in September? Are we safe once we get past a certain date?

I don't think anyone knows the exact reason, but it just seems like the career gets destroyed at some point in some games. There is probably a trigger for it that we don't know about.

The devs are supposedly on vacation for the rest of the month, so this isn't getting fixed for a long time (if ever). Until they figure it out, this is looking like a game killer.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-15-2009 at 08:15 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #309
rowech
Pro Starter

How does something like that get through though? How???!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #310
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
How does something like that get through though? How???!!!

I don't know, but reading about this has made me glad that I resisted the urge to run out and get a PS3 just for this game. I almost took the plunge last year as well, but read of some similar major issue.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #311
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I don't know, but reading about this has made me glad that I resisted the urge to run out and get a PS3 just for this game. I almost took the plunge last year as well, but read of some similar major issue.

Unfortunately, I took the plunge on it all last night. It's not a big deal if I can't play the RTTS as the franchise mode, normal game play will still work. PS3, controller, remote, and The Show all show up Friday.

Paging MBBF....paging MBBF.

Last edited by rowech : 03-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #312
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

All I can tell from OS is that the bug appears in mid-September, usually in the second or third season of RTTS. Some SCEA guy said they're aware of the bugs but the whole team is on vacation until the end of the month. So any fix would be some ways off. I guess I'm going back to my franchise and suspending my RTTS career for now.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #313
Logan
Head Coach

I thought I read on there (skimmed it) that people who had the issue started out by downloading rosters. I'm probably not remembering accurately though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #314
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I couldn't tell if the problem was fan-created rosters, the updated roster Sony put out on March 8, or both. If it's the Sony rosters I don't know if I even have a choice to go back to the ones that came on the disk.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #315
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
So, anyone have a set of sliders they have found effective?? I haven't played this game too much (playoff hockey with NHL 09), I would say maybe 10-12 games or so, and still cant hit for shit. Playing in franchise mode, in case they are different in RTTS.

I play default veteran with the exception of turning starting pitchers pitch count up two clicks. Same as last year this delivers believable numbers and a good game experience, at least for my skill level. I've played 22 games with the Cubs. The team is hitting approx .280 with 25 HR's. Not sure on team doubles since I don't have the game open. I do know my leader, Bradley, is on pace for about 40 with 4 other guys on pace to get in the 30's. A huge improvement over last year. Triples are also improved. Soriano leads the way with 2 and believe the team has 8 or 9 total with nobody else having more than 1. Ted Lilly happens to be one of them getting his on a ball the right fielder dove for and missed letting it roll to the wall.

Without the SP pitch count being increased a guy like Zambrano has a hard time reaching 100 pitches. I will probably try going +3 from default center on the pitch count as at +2 the highest pitch count I got was about a 110. I'd like to see the horses be able to get a 120 on occasion and maybe be able to stretch to 130 if absolutely necessary with some residual fatigue in their next start. If the increase in pitch count is similar to my other increases I think +3 will get me where I want to be.

Also by increasing PC you get more nibbling by the AI resulting in more foul balls and better chances to draw walks. Of course this leads to longer games too. A price I don't mind paying for a more realistic experience. As a team I have drawn 30 walks and I would have more if I could make myself be more patient(I still tend to be too swing happy, but I'm working on it). In last years game I doubt I had 30 walks at the all-star game.

FWIW I play in season mode as I know I'll only get time to do one full 162 game season with playoffs. No need for me to burden myself with franchise.

Other options I have set are...
Auto baserunnig
and for the first time I was talked into trying auto fielding (I still make the throws). I really like using this as it lets the fielders perform to their real abilities. I no longer pull them out of position when a ball splits two defenders and I think I'll have the CF but the cpu gives me the LF. There was a discussion on the OS boards and it was reported, and I am seeing it too, that you get much better\smoother\realistic animations with auto on.

I'm sure many like to do their own fielding and think I am missing out, I understand that. I used to be the same way. However having to make the throwing decisions gives me as much control as I need. YMMV. One other bonus is you can turn off all ball markers making the game look even more lifelike.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #316
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I couldn't tell if the problem was fan-created rosters, the updated roster Sony put out on March 8, or both. If it's the Sony rosters I don't know if I even have a choice to go back to the ones that came on the disk.

You do have the option to go back to the default rosters. I believe the options when starting new franchise/career are 'current' or 'default'.

I stayed with the default rosters and have had no issues in regards to RTTS mode after passing through a couple of the reported bad dates. It also would make sense from a bug perspective as to why it wasn't seen in the testing of the game. My guess is that either the Sony updated rosters or the fan created rosters are creating the issue with bad data on a player that goes haywire during processing.

My other thought was September call-ups, but that happens well before any of the problem dates, so not sure that's a possibility.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #317
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think it's the rosters. Too many people who have played with both sets of rosters have seen it.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #318
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

What would you guys say would be the cutoff for the amount of speed you have to have (to be competent, not great) in a MLB centerfielder on this game?

I'm considering going after Jason Bay since he can play center, but his speed is only slightly beyond half full. Maybe I should sign Johnny Damon (looks around 80% full) instead even if he doesn't hit quite as well...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #319
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Had the urge to pick this up when it released back on the 3rd, but decided against it because of the problems that '08 started off with.

Glad I didn't get it yet, that Road to the Show bug would be a killer for me. I'll definitely pick this one up when it's patched, however.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #320
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Man, this game needs a tutorial. Having never played a Baseball game before learning the controls is a massive stepping stone.

I have hit 2 pitches in 2 games, one of which was a homer. I tried veteran but my pitching is too poor, yet in rookie my batters never seem to actually hit the ball, only half swinging, regardless of weather I predict the location of the pitch correctly or not.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #321
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If you're only getting half swings hold the button down longer. When you release too early the game thinks you're trying to check your swing.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #322
duff88
College Prospect

Couple of questions:

Is there an explanation of the icons beside players' names anywhere? I understand fire (hot), ice (cold), but what are the different types of stars and the (5)?

What does it mean when the play-by-play guy says the pitcher, let's say after six innings, is three under?

Will my pitcher ever catch more grounballs through the mount if I raise his reaction time and fielding, or even when it's very high the pitchers don't react on some balls? I don't want to invest my points in these attributes if they won't be worth it...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #323
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Couple of questions:

Is there an explanation of the icons beside players' names anywhere? I understand fire (hot), ice (cold), but what are the different types of stars and the (5)?

What does it mean when the play-by-play guy says the pitcher, let's say after six innings, is three under?

Will my pitcher ever catch more grounballs through the mount if I raise his reaction time and fielding, or even when it's very high the pitchers don't react on some balls? I don't want to invest my points in these attributes if they won't be worth it...

Not sure on the stars as I forget what they look like but 5 means 5 tool player: Hit for average, power, run, throw and field.

Through six, three under means that he has faced 21 batters. Up to that point 18 batters is the minimum he could've faced so your SP is doing great.

Not sure on the comebackers. My guy can't grab them either.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #324
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Not sure on the stars as I forget what they look like but 5 means 5 tool player: Hit for average, power, run, throw and field.

I'll have to look that up whenever I can get on my PS3 as I thought I remembered the 5 was on a relief pitcher?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #325
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My starting pitcher just got traded to the Orioles. The bad news is that I've gone from a team who already won the 1st half championship and had qualified for the playoffs to a team mired in the basement of their division. The good news is that I've gone from a #4 starter on the old team to the ace of the staff on Baltimore's AA farm team. Really looking good for a promotion to AAA next year.

I was selected to the All-Star team right before I was traded, which gave me a nice training point boost. I've got a 96 MPH fastball with a good slider. Circle change is average at best. My stats thus far entering mid-August:

31 appearances (18 starts)
10-3 record
1.68 ERA
.97 WHIP
127 IP
62 K
10 BB
8 HBP (!)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #326
Logan
Head Coach

Is there a way to see who you got dealt for? Since you seem like a pretty high ceiling SP prospect, it would be cool to see if the return was worth it and not just a trade for the sake of making a trade.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Is there a way to see who you got dealt for? Since you seem like a pretty high ceiling SP prospect, it would be cool to see if the return was worth it and not just a trade for the sake of making a trade.

I was traded for a relief pitcher who was also a pretty good prospect. He was a reliever with a sub-2.00 ERA and closer possibilities. They give the name of the player you're traded for when you receive the notification message. Considering I wasn't even an ace at the White Sox's AA team, they probably were happy with the starter depth and wanted a good reliever prospect.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #328
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Haven't looked on OS about the "crash and burn" in a while but have you guys got it yet on the RTTS mode? I simmed thru 2013 with my guy (saved previous so I don't lose where I was at with him) and it didn't get locked up but since I simmed I didn't get called up to the 40 man roster in the Sept call ups. I guess that's where it's locking up....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #329
duff88
College Prospect

Played two games tonight in my RTTS in his third season, second year in the MLB with the Houston Astros.

First game, I've pitched seven innings already and have been handling things well after allowing three early runs and the game is 3-3. First batter up hits a groundball to second who botches it and gets an error. The manager pulls me out of the game, and sure enough the reliever allows the run to score and I get the loss.

I nearly complained, but I've been over-vocal lately so I decided to just let it go. Next game starts awfully as I walk the first batter on four pitches. I ended up pitching a two-hits shutout, six strikeouts, one walk, one hit-by-pitch while going 1-for-3 with a RBI. First shutout and third complete game of the year, but with this last-place team who can't score to save their life I'm 5-9 with a 3.48ERA.

---

So I decide to get off the PS3 and let my roommate play his own career. He goes on his own profile, boots the game and when he presses start the game freezes. We haven't had time to try much, but we can't access the game anymore as it always bug after pressing start to get to the main menu.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #330
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
So I decide to get off the PS3 and let my roommate play his own career. He goes on his own profile, boots the game and when he presses start the game freezes. We haven't had time to try much, but we can't access the game anymore as it always bug after pressing start to get to the main menu.

I know last year there was a bug early that had freezing at the 'press start' screen that had to do with the game trying to access the network.

Is the PS3 connected to PSN when you play?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #331
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I know last year there was a bug early that had freezing at the 'press start' screen that had to do with the game trying to access the network.

There may have been a problem with the router; when I came back to my laptop internet was down for like 15 minutes.

I guess I'll try again tommorow. Hopefully this is something minor like that.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #332
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hope so.

Meanwhile, for the second year in a row, I'm having the controller quit responding to my commands when I'm trying to make a defensive play. This isn't like MLB 2k9 where it didn't bother to even try and go for the ball. This is, run off the mound to field a bunt and have the player dead STOP when the ball doesn't roll directly to him.

I really, really hope I'm not going to see things like last year where the player took off and bolted in the opposite direction randomly.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #333
SackAttack
Head Coach

Player stops dead on a bunt down the first base line. Pitcher reaches base, three runs end up scoring in the inning.

Seriously, what the fuck? The first baseman isn't charging that bunt, so it's got to be my responsibility. Did they code in 'your territory' and 'not your territory'? That's the only way the pitcher just stopping to scratch his balls on a bunt makes even the faintest sense.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #334
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Player stops dead on a bunt down the first base line. Pitcher reaches base, three runs end up scoring in the inning.

Seriously, what the fuck? The first baseman isn't charging that bunt, so it's got to be my responsibility. Did they code in 'your territory' and 'not your territory'? That's the only way the pitcher just stopping to scratch his balls on a bunt makes even the faintest sense.

Happens to me all the time as a pitcher in RTTS. I thought I was doing something wrong, drives me nuts.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #335
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Happens to me all the time as a pitcher in RTTS. I thought I was doing something wrong, drives me nuts.

Seriously.

I'm a little annoyed also at how relief pitchers are treated. No context. If I come in with a 4 run lead with 1 out, get two outs and give up a single, well...that means my WHIP was over 1.00 if I don't pitch the next inning.

Yay for losing development points thanks to a meaningless single!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #336
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Seriously.

I'm a little annoyed also at how relief pitchers are treated. No context. If I come in with a 4 run lead with 1 out, get two outs and give up a single, well...that means my WHIP was over 1.00 if I don't pitch the next inning.

Yay for losing development points thanks to a meaningless single!

I don't think you can ever develop enough as a reliever. I had a few years of real strong relieving and didn't really go anywhere thanks to the point system. Just couldn't get my ratings up to make it to the bigs no matter how good I was. Gave up and started as a starter.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #337
SackAttack
Head Coach

The good news is that the pitcher will field a bunt perfectly as long as it's a foul ball.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #338
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:

Happens as well as either second baseman or shortstop on a double play. You try to run your player to second base and whenever the ai player decides to toss you the ball your player stops. So then I get to sit 4 feet from second base wait for my guy to catch it, and then try to beat the runner to second base. I have no idea why my player can not catch the ball on the run....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #339
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Happens as well as either second baseman or shortstop on a double play. You try to run your player to second base and whenever the ai player decides to toss you the ball your player stops. So then I get to sit 4 feet from second base wait for my guy to catch it, and then try to beat the runner to second base. I have no idea why my player can not catch the ball on the run....

+1 I created a 2B and have had the same issue. I'm not entirely sure if this is a solution, but I've taken a few steps toward second before the pitcher throws the ball to get me to the bag a bit quicker and been able to turn some double plays that way. Of course, that leaves a bigger hole for the hitter...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #340
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Couple of questions:

The button that looks like the select button from Ninentdo brings up that menu. Hit the '?' in that menu and a lot of those help screens tell you what all those things mean.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #341
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Dola - 5 means Rule 5 draft selection. Telling you that you can't option that player out.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 03-18-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #342
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
Man, this game needs a tutorial. Having never played a Baseball game before learning the controls is a massive stepping stone.

I have hit 2 pitches in 2 games, one of which was a homer. I tried veteran but my pitching is too poor, yet in rookie my batters never seem to actually hit the ball, only half swinging, regardless of weather I predict the location of the pitch correctly or not.

In rookie you aren't picking a location, just the timing. It always swings in the middle of the zone. Your contact will be based on where the pitch was.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #343
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:

It works now...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #344
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

For what it's worth, the catch-on-the-run thing doesn't seem to be universal.

I've had it happen where I couldn't run to first until the ball was thrown to me, by which point it was too late to sprint over there from the mound, but I also just had it happen where I started boogeying to first on a grounder that was hit to the 1B's right, and he waited until I was about 3 steps from the bag to toss it over. Guy caught it on the run, stepped on first.

It needs addressing, but the infuriating stops on those kinds of plays don't happen ALL the time.

The pitcher-stopping-on-bunts thing, though, does seem to be universal.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The pitcher-stopping-on-bunts thing, though, does seem to be universal.

Can you clarify on this? I'm not sure that I understand your scenario. I'm doing a pitching RTTS and I've never had an issue with fielding a bunt that is in fair territory. Are you saying you're not allowed to go field a bunt?

I did see a developer respond to the thread concerning the RTTS September date issue. He mentioned that they were aware of the issue, but no fix timeframe was given.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-18-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #346
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Can you clarify on this? I'm not sure that I understand your scenario. I'm doing a pitching RTTS and I've never had an issue with fielding a bunt that is in fair territory. Are you saying you're not allowed to go field a bunt?

I did see a developer respond to the thread concerning the RTTS September date issue. He mentioned that they were aware of the issue, but no fix timeframe was given.

Bunt dropped down the line.

Move pitcher towards it. Better hope you picked the proper route to intercept it. Why?

If the ball moves level with or past the pitcher, the pitcher will stop dead. I mean, he won't move at all after that until after the runner is safe.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #347
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Bunt dropped down the line.

Move pitcher towards it. Better hope you picked the proper route to intercept it. Why?

If the ball moves level with or past the pitcher, the pitcher will stop dead. I mean, he won't move at all after that until after the runner is safe.

Ah, I did have that happen once. Charged too hard on a bunt. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #348
SackAttack
Head Coach

There's no 'too hard' about it.

It's just what the fucking game does. If you move towards the bunt and you don't time the intercept perfectly, you're screwed.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #349
RainMaker
General Manager

Game starting to show it's warts more and more.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #350
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Game starting to show it's warts more and more.

And the sad thing is? As annoying as those warts are, it's still easily 10x the game MLB2k9 is.

I'm not sure if I like it better than The Show 08 or not yet, but I haven't really delved into franchise mode, where there are apparently quite a few new toys.