Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #301
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I am now a huge Week 17 Philly fan! I'd much rather Arizona get Tampa or Atlanta than Dallas in the first round of the playoffs. I doubt Tampa's going to lay an egg against Oakland, so that leaves the Eagles out too.

How do the nfl playoff seedings work from round to round? I don't remember if they reseed each round, or you have a traditional bracket.

I assume it is:

#1 Giants (bye) vs winner of (#4 vs #5)
#2 Carolina/Atlanta (bye) vs winner of (#3 vs #6)

Can Arizona get as high as the #3 seed? If Minnesota wins, they are the #3 and Arizona is the #4. If Minnesota loses, Chicago wins and Arizona loses, then Chicago is #3 and Arizona is #4. If Minnesota loses, Chicago wins and Arizona wins, I don't know who wins the Chicago-Arizona tiebreaker since they did not play head to head and would have the same conference record.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #302
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The highest ranked team plays the lowest ranked team. so if the #6 team wins the 3/6 matchup, no matter what, they will play the top seed in the Divisional Round
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #303
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Dear Andy Reid,

Eagles rush 30+ times: 5-0 (2008), 2-0 (2007), 4-2 (2006)

Three year record: 11-2

Eagles rush fewer than 30 times: 3-6-1 (2008), 6-8 (2007), 6-4 (2006)

Three year record 15-18-1

Anything stand out to you?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #304
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Can Arizona get as high as the #3 seed? If Minnesota wins, they are the #3 and Arizona is the #4. If Minnesota loses, Chicago wins and Arizona loses, then Chicago is #3 and Arizona is #4. If Minnesota loses, Chicago wins and Arizona wins, I don't know who wins the Chicago-Arizona tiebreaker since they did not play head to head and would have the same conference record.
You can ignore the Chicago-Arizona tie-breaker issues, because they can't end up in a tie-breaker situation. Arizona already won their division and will be 9-7 at best. At the same time, Chicago has to be better than 9-7 to have a shot at winning their division, as Minnesota will be at least 9-7 and secured tie-breakers over Chicago.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #305
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
How do the nfl playoff seedings work from round to round? I don't remember if they reseed each round, or you have a traditional bracket.

I assume it is:

#1 Giants (bye) vs winner of (#4 vs #5)
#2 Carolina/Atlanta (bye) vs winner of (#3 vs #6)

They reseed after each round. So it would be:

#1 Giants (bye) vs. winner of #4 vs. #5
#2 Carolina/Atlanta (bye) vs. #3 if they win.

OR

#1 Giants (bye) vs. #6 if they win
#2 Carolina/Atlanta vs. winner of #4 vs. #5
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #306
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Dear Andy Reid,

Eagles rush 30+ times: 5-0 (2008), 2-0 (2007), 4-2 (2006)

Three year record: 11-2

Eagles rush fewer than 30 times: 3-6-1 (2008), 6-8 (2007), 6-4 (2006)

Three year record 15-18-1

Anything stand out to you?

How many screens and one yard passes were thrown? You know those are an extension of the running game
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #307
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How many screens and one yard passes were thrown? You know those are an extension of the running game

Are you trying to make my head explode?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #308
Logan
Head Coach

I guess I just don't understand the rules for a kicking team downing a punt before it goes into the end zone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #309
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't understand why the Bears punted it 20 yards. Just go for it.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #310
Jas_lov
College Starter

Great call, McCarthy. They never knew what hit them.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #311
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Packers are just a better team than the Bears. Now that the running game has picked up, this is looking just like their first meeting.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #312
Jas_lov
College Starter

This is complete domination. The Packers are really clicking. They even ran an effective screen! The Bears look terrible in all phases of the game.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #313
Jas_lov
College Starter

Thank you, special teams. Good thing the Bears can't move the ball.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #314
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Keep on talking Jas, I am sure it will end well.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #315
Jas_lov
College Starter

This is why the Packers are 5-9. Atrocious special teams and soon the defense will fall apart and allow the Bears to go up by 3 with little time left. The game should not be this close.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #316
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Keep on talking Jas, I am sure it will end well.

Finally someone else shows up. I thought I was the only one watching. This game will not end well, it will end just like the other 6 close losses. Story of the Packers season.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #317
Jas_lov
College Starter

Thank you, Kyle Orton. Makes up for more terrible special teams.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #318
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yep, outgain them 3 to 1 and still give up the lead late. Happens every single game. It's up to Aaron Rodgers now.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #319
Jas_lov
College Starter

Special teams helps the Packers! Win this, Rodgers. Knock these bastards out of the playoffs. This game shouldn't even be close.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #320
Jas_lov
College Starter

My god. How can your special teams be so atrocious? Rodgers did it. Special teams is an epic failure. McCarthy better fire the ST and DC after this year. Just terrible. Packers were destined to lose this by 3.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #321
Jas_lov
College Starter

If Brett Favre were the Packers QB, Crosby would have made that kick and the Packers would have won that coin toss. Isn't that interference? What a joke.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #322
bhlloy
Coordinator

You do realize that talking to yourself is a sign of insanity, right?

Seriously, Crosby has choked this game away. Two line drive kicks right into the line - I don't know how the first one got through. Absolutely no excuse for not getting the ball up on a relatively short kick like the last one, no matter how cold it is.

Last edited by bhlloy : 12-22-2008 at 10:55 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #323
Jas_lov
College Starter

This is sickening. I think Vikings fans just jumped off a bridge. McCarthy better fire the ST coach along with DC Bob Sanders after the year. This is why the Packers are 5-10, it's not the offense at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #324
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As a Packer fan, I feel like I'm in my own Groundhog Day that only happens on Sundays.

My wife turned to me at the beginning of the 4th quarter and said 'Should be interesting to see how they lose this one...'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #325
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I mean, seriously. 2 blocked FGs, terrible kickoff coverage, 1 punt return hits a Packer and the Bears get a short field for a TD. Then the coin toss hits Urlacher in the head and Ron Winter does nothing about it, McCarthy doesn't challenge the spot of the ball on the 4th down run by Forte, and the refs miss an obvious PI on Driver on the 4 yard line. How many things can go wrong in 1 game?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #326
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Seriously, Crosby has choked this game away. Two line drive kicks right into the line - I don't know how the first one got through. Absolutely no excuse for not getting the ball up on a relatively short kick like the last one, no matter how cold it is.
Allowing 5 Bears players to get 4 yards past the LOS didn't help either. It is what it is with this Packers team. They will lose to the Titans or Giants 27-24 and lose to the Lions or Bengals 27-24. The opponent is completely independent of the result at this point.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #327
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Golf clap for the Packers. I am off to enjoy another round of comment reading on the Press-Gazette website. It really is entertaining.

Oh, and Rodgers wasn't so hot on the final drive BTW. He had a great catch made by Jones and that was it. The play calling didn't exactly let him try to shine though.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #328
RainMaker
General Manager

Wow, that Bears game had me go through so many emotions it's sick. I feel like I've been violated after watching them play. I honestly feel bad if we make the playoffs. The team is just not good and has no business being in this position.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #329
RainMaker
General Manager

And when are the Packers going to invest in their special teams. It costs them a couple games each year (including this one). Heck, it probably cost them a trip to the Super Bowl last year. I'm astonished at how many teams in this league treat special teams so nonchalantely.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #330
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

A lovely battle of two miserable teams. One with a record appropriate to their misery, one who has absolutely no business being in the playoffs, if they manage it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #331
remper
Mascot

After watching the first few weeks of the season I really thought that Orton was ready to establish himself as THE QB for Chicago. Chicago hasn't had THE QB for a long long time. But since since coming back from his injury he's been pretty pathetic at times. ...and the beat goes on for Bears QBs.

I haven't looked at the box score, but it seemed to me that Urlacher was nowhere to be found much of the game. But he's pretty much the face of the franchise at this point. Definitely not worth resigning him to a long term deal imo. Briggs on the other hand is a beast.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #332
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
I haven't looked at the box score, but it seemed to me that Urlacher was nowhere to be found much of the game.

You made me curious. Urlacher is credited with 3 tackles, two solo.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #333
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, I only watched the first half until sleep-deprivation kicked in and I went to bed, but Urlacher looked fine then. Briggs was getting a lot of work, but that was primarily because Green Bay was going away from Urlacher, and it was working well for them.

Also, as with last time, Green Bay was having no problem passing into the holes left in Chicago's zone.

Color me very surprised that Chicago won that one.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #334
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
A lovely battle of two miserable teams. One with a record appropriate to their misery, one who has absolutely no business being in the playoffs, if they manage it.

But, Eagles and Cowboys is next weekend.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #335
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And when are the Packers going to invest in their special teams. It costs them a couple games each year (including this one). Heck, it probably cost them a trip to the Super Bowl last year. I'm astonished at how many teams in this league treat special teams so nonchalantely.

Well, they have tried. Bush (the guy who had the punt bounce off of him to set up Chicago's first TD) needs to go, he always seems to suck. The K Crosby is good, just blew last night. The P has been a problem all year and it started with cutting John Ryan, a horrible move, and then sticking with Frost for 11 weeks, an even worse move. The offensive line effects both ST and the offense, and that was the problem on the blocked kick last night.

They have tried, but GM Thompson hasn't made good decisions there for the most part. I know LB cuts at the end of camp came down to which LB helped on ST the most.

So, as you can see, it is not like they are taking it lightly, they just make some crappy moves.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #336
Arles
Grey Dog Software

At some point in time, GB needs to start bringing in quality veterans to backup/start on the OL and to play special teams. TT's main weakness is that he thinks rookies/draft picks can basically fill all depth voids. So, we go with 5-7 round picks and undrafteds for our special teams. He has the same opinion on backup OL, which currently consist of household names Breno Giacomini, Josh Sitton, Orrin Thompson and Allen Barbre (combined for 7 total games played prior to this season). It got so bad we had to move a backup guard (Moll) to starting right tackle because our tackle backups were so terrible. The end result of all this is a ton of mental errors, leading the league in penalties and having no consistency at these spots.

Compare that to teams like the Giants (have 2 former starters backing up their OL) and Carolina (3 former starters backup up). Right now, if a starting GB OL gets hurt (or craps the bed), the team has no one to turn to off the bench to push them or give depth. But, hey, GB was able to be something like $20 million under the cap by skimping on special teams and OL backups. That has to count for something, right

Last edited by Arles : 12-24-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote