Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #301
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Is there much in the way of small text? I still have a stupid old lo-def TV.

The cell phone has some smallish text. Although there appears to be a setting to change the text size. There are also options to change the ringer settings. That is the only really small text I've seen so far, but I'm only an hour into it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #302
Icy
Pro Starter

Ok, i'm leaving it for today, i have enjoyed it a lot, and online is really fun for mass destruction.

Last edited by Icy : 04-29-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #303
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
It improves a lot in 1080p, as for any other PS3 game, you need to remove the other resolutions but the minimum and 1080p, then i will run at 1080p.

Hmm... I know I did this before with The Show, and that I had it solved back then too. I'll do another check and follow your advice. Thanks!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #304
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Hmm... I know I did this before with The Show, and that I had it solved back then too. I'll do another check and follow your advice. Thanks!

Yes, it was the same also for NBA2k8 and College hoops.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #305
Icy
Pro Starter

No Safe For Work!!

GTA4 pron video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O51l7S7Sx3g

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #306
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll say it again: GPS/Routing system is a great addition to the series. I hated having to pause, look at the map, and remember the route. Was that in San Andreas? It's been a while since I played that game, and now I'm second guessing if it was in that game as well or is new to this one? Either way, I'm enjoying it as I get to know the early part of the city.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #307
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'll say it again: GPS/Routing system is a great addition to the series. I hated having to pause, look at the map, and remember the route. Was that in San Andreas? It's been a while since I played that game, and now I'm second guessing if it was in that game as well or is new to this one? Either way, I'm enjoying it as I get to know the early part of the city.

Agree, it has been criticized by hardcore fans but i love it, i hated to get lost in past games. N ow if i want to go somewhere, i just set a checkpoint in the map and the gps draws the path.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #308
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can he swim?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #309
Icy
Pro Starter

Bad news for some users:

Quote:
Earlier today we broke the news that some Grand Theft Auto IV gamers were having problems with the game on both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. For them, the game was freezing up during the introductory cut-scene, something that neither I nor Mike experienced during our time with the game on both systems. To be clear, we have no idea how widespread the problem is, but it's certainly on Rockstar's radar and making the rounds both in our tips line and on forums.
Rockstar declined to comment on the issue officially, so I went to the phone and called up Rockstar Support to see what they had to say about the problem.
A very friendly, and obviously unhappy, fellow answered the phone who, after thanking me for not yelling at him and apologizing profusely for the problem, spilled quite a bit of beans on the issue:

The man told me that the problem is apparently only effecting the 60 GB version of the Playstation 3, but that it didn't matter than my particular console was a launch console (Yes, I told a little white lie and said my copy was locking up.) He said the problem is not across the board for the 60GB PS3s but rather only impacts some, so their tech folks are working around the clock to try and figure out what is causing the issue.
He did ask me to make sure that my harddrive wasn't full and that I had the latest firmware update, but confessed that that really isn't what's causing most of the problem. He also said that the Xbox 360 is having the "exact same problem," which has further stumped their tech folks.
I asked him if wiping the harddrive and reinstalling the PS3 version would help, as seen on the PS forums, he said I could try but that he hadn't heard of it helping a single person.
He ended the call by saying that they really have no idea when a fix will be coming because they can't figure out what is exactly causing the problem and then once more apologized.
"I feel terrible about this."
If only more support folks were as empathetic and genuinely concerned about the problems their customers are going through.

http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-su...e-fix-in-sight

I see in some Ps3 forums people saying that they have horrible framerate problems and 5 to 20 seconds freezes, but to my surprise the game plays perfectly for me and have zero framerate issues and no freezes in 5 hours of gaming. I have not checked 360 forums.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #310
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Can he swim?

Yup and both the water and animations are incredible well done.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #311
Kodos
Resident Alien

Well looky what just came in the mail. Of course, I'm supposed to be working some OT tonight.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #312
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some of the TV Shows are absolutely hilarious - better than writing on real TV shows.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-29-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #313
Z²+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Bad news for some users:

http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-su...e-fix-in-sight

I see in some Ps3 forums people saying that they have horrible framerate problems and 5 to 20 seconds freezes, but to my surprise the game plays perfectly for me and have zero framerate issues and no freezes in 5 hours of gaming. I have not checked 360 forums.

I'm having the same problem, I guess. I load the disc, and the Rockstar logos that come up are extremely blurry, then it won't load anything else. Very frustrating.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Z²+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #314
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z²+ View Post
I'm having the same problem, I guess. I load the disc, and the Rockstar logos that come up are extremely blurry, then it won't load anything else. Very frustrating.

Which version?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #315
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Saint's Row was the first one to implement that GPS system, and it's wonderful.

I've put several hours in on it(PS3) and haven't had any freezes yet and the framerate has been ok. GTA has always had it's bad framerate moments but nothing that is bothering me yet.

Enjoying it so far. I've actually been doing almost solely missions so far. I usually fiddle around for hours and hours just doing odd stuff and end up never finishing the game so I'm going to try to spend a bit more time focused on the missions themselves.

I'm hating melee combat..something about it is just wonky. I haven't done enough shooting yet to decide on that but I think the cover element is a nice addition.

Soundtrack is not what I expected either. They seem to have went back to being a little more obscure, as I haven't ran across a song I've actually heard before yet apart from the Marley station.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #316
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

15 people viewing this thread? Crazy.

I'm at around 5-6 hours of gametime. Pretty wild stuff. Hopefully I can get more into the multiplayer. The free mode is crazy.

Never really liked GTA before, but I can see why it's so popular. It's so polished.

And it's so hilarious too. The TV & radio have me laughing like crazy. I wish most TV shows were this funny
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #317
Z²+
High School JV

Quote:
Which version?

40 GB ps3. Most of the things I've read said its the 60 gb that has a problem. I updated the system, and still nothing. Maybe a bad disc?

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #318
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

Enjoying it so far. I've actually been doing almost solely missions so far. I usually fiddle around for hours and hours just doing odd stuff and end up never finishing the game so I'm going to try to spend a bit more time focused on the missions themselves.

I'm hating melee combat..something about it is just wonky. I haven't done enough shooting yet to decide on that but I think the cover element is a nice addition.

Soundtrack is not what I expected either. They seem to have went back to being a little more obscure, as I haven't ran across a song I've actually heard before yet apart from the Marley station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Never really liked GTA before, but I can see why it's so popular. It's so polished.

And it's so hilarious too. The TV & radio have me laughing like crazy. I wish most TV shows were this funny

Completely agreed, Calis. I'm not a fan of the melee combat. I died 2 times on the first mission that used it, and it is going to take some getting used to. However, the 3rd time through, I did string together some nice combos and didn't even get touched. I haven't gotten to shooting yet, since I also tend to do all kinds of side things.

I've been watching TV shows for an hour now. Hilarious stuff as I just posted. Kingneb, they were never this detailed before. The radio was always good, but the TV shows are on a whole new level.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #319
Z²+
High School JV

During what I'm assuming is the install screen, all the words are extremely blurry - to the point I can barely read them - and it looks like that screen is "repeating" on the botton third of my television and flashing. I can see the background changing, but it is all blurred as well. I can also hear music. Then it gets to the cut scene intro, and it is only playing on the top half of my screen, and is still extremely blurred. The bottom half of my screen is pink and white static.

I think my system is fine, since The Show plays beautifully. Very angry, particulary since I'm not saavy as to how to make "easy fixes" that might work.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #320
korme
Go Reds

Just experienced my first freeze-up.

Other than that, game is going well, when do the bridge barracades come down? I am anxious to get to the next clothing shop, my guy still looks like a goof with track pants.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #321
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Just experienced my first freeze-up.

Other than that, game is going well, when do the bridge barracades come down? I am anxious to get to the next clothing shop, my guy still looks like a goof with track pants.

Don't lie .. You thought to yourself, "did they image my closet?" at the Russian store.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #322
Icy
Pro Starter

The official forums are full of threads complaining about the freezes on both consoles, probably 80% of the threads are about that, so i guess Rockstar will try to find a solution as this is not something rare but common it seems.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #323
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hate freezing issues. I've dropped games because of annoying glitches and freezing, since I hate replaying parts of games. I like moving forward at all times, not having just wasted the last hour because I haven't saved in awhile.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #324
SackAttack
Head Coach

This might be the greatest piece of swag I have ever recieved for a game release:

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #325
Kodos
Resident Alien

So what's special about the special edition?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #326
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know, I liked the Castlevania DS package to name a recent release. I bought one of those things for a couple bucks in New York last year. Of course it didn't say GTA IV and had a prescription pill bottle or whatever that is...
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #327
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know, I liked the Castlevania DS package to name a recent release. I bought one of those things for a couple bucks in New York last year. Of course it didn't say GTA IV and had a prescription pill bottle or whatever that is...

I'm talking about the stuff game publishers send me as promos, not the stuff they give away at retail.

Most of the time the promo swag is pretty useless, although occasionally some cool stuff comes in. The Statue of Happiness will fit right in on my gaming bobbleheads shelf.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #328
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Of course it didn't say GTA IV and had a prescription pill bottle or whatever that is...

Dola,

That would be...a cup of "hot coffee."
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #329
MikeVic
Head Coach

I just saw a GTA 4 commercial, and it flashed at the end "download exclusive episodes on the XBOX 360 starting in the fall." Or something close to that.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #330
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just picked up a copy for the 360, hoping to play a bit later tonight. I'm a little afraid to open it after hearing about all this freezing up and stuff though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #331
korme
Go Reds

To elaborate, my freeze-up occured right before I entered a flashing icon, and I didn't lose anything because everytime you complete a mission it saves anyway... all I lost was a taxi ride.

BTW, taxis are mega convenient. I read that once the entire map is unlocked, from east-to-west it would take you 1 real-time hour to travel the entire length. The taxis are nice for not having to waste time driving to points on a map.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #332
RainMaker
General Manager

This game has been a blast. Been playing for a few hours now. My only complaint would be that the game seems a lot easier than previous versions. I've nailed almost every mission on the first try and the cops don't put up much of a fight, even when I've built up 4+ stars.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #333
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Michelle kicked my ass at bowling. I wanted to slap the bitch.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #334
RainMaker
General Manager

I have to add that the amount of detail that goes into these games is mesmerizing. Every turn there is something new whether it's a funny advertisement or actual full blown TV shows. I just can't get over how much time they spend on the details. This company always lives up to the hype, they are truly what gaming should be about.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #335
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I read that once the entire map is unlocked, from east-to-west it would take you 1 real-time hour to travel the entire length. The taxis are nice for not having to waste time driving to points on a map.

I'm not so sure about this. I was playing Free Mode with some friends. You start in the NW most portion of the Western Island. Me and another guy got into a car and drove all the way over to the other side of the map to get a heli and it only took about 10 minutes.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #336
korme
Go Reds

Well it's just what I read. Has anyone gotten to the middle of the map yet?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #337
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I went down to Target and picked one up today. Played only about an hour and a half, but had a blast .
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #338
mckerney
Coordinator

This makes me really want a PS3. Hopefully getting Mario Kart Wii tomorrow will be able to keep me distracted for a while.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #339
RainMaker
General Manager

For some reason the game is too big for my screen. I have a 1080i TV that is big (53 inches). It's an older HDTV so I'm not sure if there is something to the older TVs. If I go into the settings and set it for 480p widescreen, it works, but not as crisp. My TV won't change aspect ratios when playing the game on 1080i either. It's not a huge deal, but cuts off half the dollar amount and part of the cell phone.

Anyone with any idea why this is happening?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #340
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have a similar problem. Older HDTV as well. I have the 360 version. I haven't tried 480p widescreen.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #341
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently others are having the issue as well, especially on CRTs:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=336487
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #342
korme
Go Reds

Need help already!

Spoiler
Old 04-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #343
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For some reason the game is too big for my screen. I have a 1080i TV that is big (53 inches). It's an older HDTV so I'm not sure if there is something to the older TVs. If I go into the settings and set it for 480p widescreen, it works, but not as crisp. My TV won't change aspect ratios when playing the game on 1080i either. It's not a huge deal, but cuts off half the dollar amount and part of the cell phone.

Anyone with any idea why this is happening?

It has been the case for me with several games on the 360, with my 'older' HDTV that is 53" (I am wondering if you have a projection Panasonic?). I have had it on 1080i for a long time and there are just some games that seem to be a little stretched. Mess with your TVs picture position, which you should be able to adjust during a game. Try to get it balanced enough so that you can see enough, that is what I do with mine.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #344
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

dola- didn't even post what I came here for.

My wife went out and bought another 360. We will use it until ours is fixed and return it. Not supposed to be a problem, even open, but it will barely look like it has been opened either. I still haven't heard if my old one can be fixed yet, so if it can't then we keep it.

Have had the game on for 5 hours now and no problems with any lock ups.

THis game is everything I hoped for so far, and more I think.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #345
Icy
Pro Starter

Btw, possible fix for those with the freezes, disconnect from the network as it fixes the freezes and framerate problems for a lot of users that had them.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #346
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have forgotten how to do this or missed it when they showed it.

When you fail a mission, there is an icon that pops up over your mini map. What button(s) do you press to be able to repeat the mission right away?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #347
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have forgotten how to do this or missed it when they showed it.

When you fail a mission, there is an icon that pops up over your mini map. What button(s) do you press to be able to repeat the mission right away?

Up to bring the phone, then go to messages to see the sms that asks about repeating the mission.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #348
wade moore
lolzcat

I played for about an hour just to get the feel last night - I definitely like it so far and enjoy the story. I'm sure I'll stick to the story quite a bit and I REALLY need to get used to the driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #349
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Need help already!

Spoiler

Get the strategy guide, this may help.

My game doesn't arrive 'til 3pm today, I'll be getting a guide at lunch so I can read through.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #350
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some initial impressions.............

-I think the reviewers for this game were suffering from 'Mario review score boosting syndrome'. Far too many people bought into the hype. There is no way that this game should get a 10 for graphics. COD4 is a 10. This game is not.

-The level of detail in regards to all the different things that you can do is well done. Can't say enough about that. TV, radio, entertainment locations.......all very nice.

-Some of the missions are VERY boring. The melee combat seems more like the fighting mini-games in the EA NHL series......just keep smashing buttons. The firing mechanism is a bit better.

-The people on the street have ridiculously stupid AI. Really disappointed in that, as Rockstar had promised lots of individual intelligence amongst the residents of the city.

-There's nothing more fun that running over a group of people. Carnage. Tell Jack Thompson I'm ready to do it in the real world now that I have some training.

-I couldn't play for more than an hour or two at a time without getting motion sick. I've seen that mentioned on other boards and someone mentioned it in this thread as well.

Overall, the game is a lot of fun. I'm positive that it should not be receiving the perfect scores that reviewers are giving it as there are some graphics issues, but it's very worthy of AAA status.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote