Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #301
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I hope so, cuz there are some guys that are still out there that are just blowing my mind.
Factor in the rules. There's just no way to pick some of those guys, at least early on.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #302
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, fine, somebody pick Alex Auld so Fidatelo can stop crying.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #303
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

To kill time while we wait for picks, let's start a list of great players who are no longer eligible to be picked by anyone.

I'll start: Paul Coffey is officially off the board.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #304
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Doug Gilmour too.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #305
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

vtbub is the only person who can still pick Mike Sillinger.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #306
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Factor in the rules. There's just no way to pick some of those guys, at least early on.

You're likely right, although there are a couple guys that have only played on one team that I'm thinking of. One guy that I thought was a one-teamer turned out to eat up 3 teams though, but I still think he should have been picked ahead of a few of the guys who have been.

I must say that it is pretty freakin' hard with that team restriction though, that is what definintely sets this apart. What fun!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #307
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Luc Robitaille is off the board.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #308
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Terry Sawchuk too.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #309
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chris Chelios
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #310
MikeVic
Head Coach

One of the guys I'm surprised isn't taken is one of the ones Fidatelo is thinking of too.

This is a tough restriction.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #311
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Theo Fleury is off the board, too. I know you guys are all crying in your drinks now.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #312
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Theo Fleury is off the board, too. I know you guys are all crying in your drinks now.

Well, we know at least Theo is.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #313
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, we know at least Theo is.
I set 'em up. You knock 'em down.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #314
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

By the way...at the end of the draft i get choices of all the guys you dont pick....and make my own team
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #315
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
By the way...at the end of the draft i get choices of all the guys you dont pick....and make my own team
Have fun with Matthew Barnaby, then!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #316
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Frank Mahovlich is off the board.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #317
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Damn...Iginla was a guy I was targeting, but thought I could get him a round or two later. CRAP
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #318
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The more I look at this the more I understand how hard that team restriction makes it. I'm still a little surprised at a couple picks (or non-picks) but I'm much less so than I was earlier. MTL-DET-TOR ftl.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #319
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I could've sworn Neidermayer was an offensive defenseman.

You guys are free to your opinions, of course, but the fact is, the guy is excellent with positioning and poke checks and is always in the right place at the right time. That's on top of his ability to make a great pass and be an on-ice leader who can play more than half of a game without breaking a sweat. Plus, four Cups, a Conn Smythe, toss in some Norris's.

Look at his point totals actually--when you compare him to a Leetch or a Bourque, he doesn't rate as high on offense, given his point-per-game totals (even if they are dumbed down by the neutral zone trap). He might have been a reach as an offensive defensman. As a defensive defensman, he is still perfectly fine, but without the need to display point-per-game offensive skills.

I don't know that I would have slotted him here, though, if I A) didn't already have Bourque at O-D'man, and B) Pumpy selected Lidstrom and put him at lockdown D.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #320
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're likely right, although there are a couple guys that have only played on one team that I'm thinking of. One guy that I thought was a one-teamer turned out to eat up 3 teams though, but I still think he should have been picked ahead of a few of the guys who have been.

I must say that it is pretty freakin' hard with that team restriction though, that is what definintely sets this apart. What fun!

I think I know who you're talking about, because I had the exact same set of thoughts you have expressed here--and I have been trying to find a good time to pick him for a while. It wasn't for my concern about the depth in other areas, he would already be on my team.

I already screwed the pooch on goalies. Apparently, every big time goalie in the history of hockey has played for the Hawks and/or Bruins, often times one piddly little season that makes them ineligible to me after I pick Bourque and Mikita. Sonofa...

Surprised no one has said anything about my Francis pick, considering that was the first "gaffe" pick earlier. I figured when he became available again, he would picked up shortly. I am rather happy with myself for nabbing him in the third round and slotting him at captain.

Speaking of captains, Clarke was a great pick. He was my other choice if I didn't get Francis, and I was also considering picking him for power forward and even big hitter, although not sure that last applies as much.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #321
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Guys, sadly I must bow out of this. Some personal shit is going on and between this and SI's draft I can't do both and since SI's is for a league I'm going to try finishing that one if at all possible. I hope someone will be able to take my squad.

Sorry again.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #322
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Guys, sadly I must bow out of this. Some personal shit is going on and between this and SI's draft I can't do both and since SI's is for a league I'm going to try finishing that one if at all possible. I hope someone will be able to take my squad.

Sorry again.

Sorry to hear that, DeTox. I hope everything works out for you.

Calling all hockey fans. We need a brave soul to step in here.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #323
Logan
Head Coach

Brave is right. My 9th and 10th round picks are gonna end up being 3rd liners on the Hartford Whalers and the Colorado Rockies at this point.

I fucked up big-time with my 3rd and 4th rounders. Overlooking one team cost me any chance I had.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #324
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Brave is right. My 9th and 10th round picks are gonna end up being 3rd liners on the Hartford Whalers and the Colorado Rockies at this point.

I fucked up big-time with my 3rd and 4th rounders. Overlooking one team cost me any chance I had.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. I'm gonna end up with some piece o'crap like Cloutier in net, I think.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #325
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
To kill time while we wait for picks, let's start a list of great players who are no longer eligible to be picked by anyone.

I'll start: Paul Coffey is officially off the board.

If I checked all the eliminated teams correctly, I believe Scotty Bowman is off the board.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #326
Logan
Head Coach

You would be correct.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #327
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Fidatelo is going to take over for Detox and he is up.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #328
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The irony here is that I can't pick any of the big guys that I was aghast no one has picked yet...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #329
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Fidatelo...once you pick be ready again because I have lists that will bring it right back to you.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #330
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The irony here is that I can't pick any of the big guys that I was aghast no one has picked yet...
That is beautiful.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #331
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

4.10 Wayne Cashman (Bos) - Power Forward

"Cash" was a fierce cornerman for 18 NHL seasons, all with the Boston Bruins. Often playing on a line with Ken Hodge and Phil Esposito, his job was to go into the corners and battle for the loose pucks. Using his size and feared reputation, more often than not he would come out of the corner with the puck and set up either Hodge or Espo with a good scoring opportunity. Though he put up decent offensive numbers himself, Cash's performance over the years could never be measured by statistics.

Opponents thought twice about getting into the corners with Wayne.
-- http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/20...e-cashman.html

1027 GP --> 277 G, 516 A, 793 PTS, 1041 PIM, 2 Stanley Cups

Also noted to be the last player to have played during the days of the "Original Six"
Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #332
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Vtbub selects....

4.11 Don Cherry (Coach) - Boston, Colorado
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #333
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Johnn93g selects..

4.12 Al Arbour, coach, NYI, STL

Funny thing is Bub had Arbour #1 but couldn't take him because of his stint in St. Louis
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #334
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Johnny93g selects..

5.1 Alex Ovechkin, Sniper, Was
Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #335
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

vtbub selects

5.2 Olaf Kolzig Goalie Washington

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-13-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #336
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

5.3 Rob Blake (LA, Col) - Offensive Defenseman

1116 GP --> 221 G, 479 A, 700 PTS, 1499 PIM, 1 Norris Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup, 7-time All-Star, Olympic Gold Medalist

Last edited by Fidatelo : 03-13-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: bolded the pick for readability
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #337
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

like the Rob Blake pick
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #338
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I now know I will be able to make my next pick and it will be the steal of the draft
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #339
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So are you saying that I was the last impediment to your big steal and I blew it?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #340
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
So are you saying that I was the last impediment to your big steal and I blew it?
You could have taken him team-wise, but position would have been tricky.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

correct. But your predesecor had the catergories that this guy fits in taken already so I wasn't to worried.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #342
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm intrigued to see who it is, and am hoping I didn't just overlook the guy...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm intrigued to see who it is, and am hoping I didn't just overlook the guy...

I think alot of people over looked him. He should have been a first round pick, second at worst
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #344
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
You could have taken him team-wise, but position would have been tricky.
How do you know who Lathum's steal is?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #345
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I sent him a PM confirming this player was still there and I wasn't crazy.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #346
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- there is no way ML could take him
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #347
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think alot of people over looked him. He should have been a first round pick, second at worst

Intrigued I say!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #348
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I can read souls.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #349
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Oh, I have a pretty good idea of who it is. If it's who I'm thinking, I just didn't want him.

Edit: If the guy I'm thinking of is somehow available when my next pick comes around, I'll take him, but I think Lathum's gonna grab him.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 03-13-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #350
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

5.4 - Playmaker - Peter Stastny (Que, NJ, St.L)
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote