Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #301
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What a silly decision at the end for Cal. And the upset!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #302
Huckleberry
College Starter

Roffle.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #303
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Stupid play by the young QB.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #304
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOLOLOLOL... they ran it... and OSU WON as the time runs out!!! LOLOLOL!!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #305
wade moore
lolzcat

That has to be close to being a Webberesque move, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #306
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, they needed to spike it.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #307
Logan
Head Coach

Unreal. The QB didn't even leave the ball on the field to be snapped.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #308
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Poor kid. Even dumber coach. Kick the field goal.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #309
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I just turned the Cal game on.

Why is Longshore on the sideline?

I don't see where anyone ever answered this, but Longshore was hurt this week and was out for the entire game. I think his shoulder, IIRC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #310
Galaxy
Coordinator

You would of had time for one more play if he just threw that away. It wasn't like he even had a chance, with two Beaver defenders right in his path.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #311
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I don't see where anyone ever answered this, but Longshore was hurt this week and was out for the entire game. I think his shoulder, IIRC.

Thanks.. My East Coast bias didn't see that news this week .

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #312
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, he got caught up in the moment and made a poor decision.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #313
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like for the second year in a row, Rutgers will be taking on (at worst) the #3 team in the country on Thursday night ESPN.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #314
Huckleberry
College Starter

Nah. Going for the win with that defense completely out of sorts was a good move. Bad decision by the kid. But the coach should have screamed at him from the sideline that he absolutely had to throw the ball.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #315
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

I put that 100% on Tedford. The quarterback has to be made to understand the situation, and know what he can and can't do.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #316
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

The coach didn't make a dumb decision. He had time for one more shot before a field goal.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #317
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I don't think the coaching decision was bad, but I would have to think that the coach should have been saying "whatever you do, don't take a sack or run with it"...

But, maybe he did.. if he didn't, that's his fault with a freshman making his first start.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #318
Logan
Head Coach

He could've told him exactly what was necessary and he might've still done that instinctively.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #319
wade moore
lolzcat

oh man.. just flipped back to Auburn-Arkansas..

Arkansas is kicking off with 1:30 left, apparently they went up 7-6 somehow... wow...

Great football today.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #320
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
He could've told him exactly what was necessary and he might've still done that instinctively.

Right.. like I said, he might have told the kid... but if he didn't, he needs to shoulder some of the blame imo.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #321
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Looks like for the second year in a row, Rutgers will be taking on (at worst) the #3 team in the country on Thursday night ESPN.

I hope USF beats them badly. The Big East needs USF to stay where they are.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #322
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

#1 Ohio State
#2 BC
#3 South Florida

That has to be the most unexpected top 3 in a long time.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #323
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's definitely in the Big East's best interest for USF to go undefeated.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #324
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm thinking Auburn is going to do what Cal didn't.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #325
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
With a playoff, many of these games would be actually meaningless.

Not really. Many of these games where the upsets are happening are conference games which are important no matter which system you have.

However, to me this illustrates why the games need to be decided on the field, not by some computer or by some writer in New York. A few weeks ago, we were saying that we should give this thing to LSU. They get beat this week by a very good Kentucky team.

What the BCS does is take control out of a team's hands. Unless you run the table against a good schedule (read Big 10, SEC, Big East, etc. conference schedule) there is going to be debate. Again, I say take the winner of each conference (there's 11 of them) and take the top winning % independent and throw them in a bracket. Do it like they do the FA Cup. You have a draw, and if you need to play an extra game even though you're out of the SEC, tough. If South Alabama upsets LSU, tough. Winning your conference means something, and there is no debate about who is where. It is all played out on the field.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #326
Galaxy
Coordinator

I don't see BC getting through unbeaten.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #327
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

I don't think you have much to worry about. I think the Bulls will pummel Rutgers. That is one very good team Leavitt has built.

knives out
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #328
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Agreed, but I'm not giving up on the BE title and a BCS slot yet, especially with Cincy (edit) now having lost.

Last edited by Logan : 10-13-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #329
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Not really. Many of these games where the upsets are happening are conference games which are important no matter which system you have.

However, to me this illustrates why the games need to be decided on the field, not by some computer or by some writer in New York. A few weeks ago, we were saying that we should give this thing to LSU. They get beat this week by a very good Kentucky team.

What the BCS does is take control out of a team's hands. Unless you run the table against a good schedule (read Big 10, SEC, Big East, etc. conference schedule) there is going to be debate. Again, I say take the winner of each conference (there's 11 of them) and take the top winning % independent and throw them in a bracket. Do it like they do the FA Cup. You have a draw, and if you need to play an extra game even though you're out of the SEC, tough. If South Alabama upsets LSU, tough. Winning your conference means something, and there is no debate about who is where. It is all played out on the field.

+1

No matter what, the national champion should be decided on the field and there is no need for polls to be part of it in the 21st century. The game is biased enough as it is without throwing human loyalties and silliness into it.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #330
Huckleberry
College Starter

I'm a fan of all 11 conference champions and 5 at larges using the original BCS system.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #331
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't think you have much to worry about. I think the Bulls will pummel Rutgers. That is one very good team Leavitt has built.

I don't think the "This is one great team, they'll never lose" is in effect for ANY team this year.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #332
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

If I were king I'd actually do this differently...

I'd give some large incentive for 3 I-AA teams (Montana, Delaware, and UMass come to mind) to come to I-A. I would then negotiate some way that we can siphon off two conferences (Sunbelt and Mountain West maybe?) and force the independents into a conference if they want to compete at the I-A level.

So, that's 120 teams into 10 conferences - 12 teams each.

Give the conference Champions a bid and then either 2 (with 1st round byes) or 6 at-large spots.

That would be my ideal.

My more realistic is that only 12 team conferences can get an auto-bid giving us 6 or 7 (assuming that the Big 10 and maybe the Pac-10 would add teams) autobids and then get up to 12 teams with at-larges. This would mirror what I-AA does. Only the larger, better conferences have auto-bids.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #333
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Agreed, but I'm not giving up on the BE title and a BCS slot yet, especially with Cincy on the fence against UL right now.

Meh. I don't think they deserve it this year. I mean, those two loses were inexcusable given the expectations and I kinda want the people who are pushing for big-time football On The Banks to get a dose of what it's like not to meet expectations and to get ignored by the national media as a underachieving patsy.

Plus, I want Schiano to address the real fact that he's not recruiting enough offensive weapons and that in order to really be big time, they need to have an offense that can put up points on days when his smashmouth defense falter.

If USF gets to the national title game and somehow manages to pull off a win, that'll be much bigger for the Big East than anything Rutgers would gain by getting into a BCS bowl game and possibly choking or something.

By the time I got to the end of this post, I realized the blasphemy of what I was saying, though.

If Rutgers can hold up their end of the bargain and manage to weasel into the BE title, then I'm all for them putting it on USF, but....nothing I've seen from them this year so far makes me believe they can do that and so, unless they're going to the Big Ten in the next few years, I'd prefer to see the Big East get into position to steal a national title shot and achieve some small measure of national respect.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #334
Galaxy
Coordinator

Auburn took the lead.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #335
Swaggs
Coordinator

Cincy goes down. Only a handful of undefeated teams make it through this weekend.

I think the Big East is in reasonably good position to get two teams into the BCS right now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #336
wade moore
lolzcat

I don't understand Auburn taking the timeout with 34 seconds left, stupid, stupid move imo.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #337
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I would then negotiate some way that we can siphon off two conferences (Sunbelt and Mountain West maybe?) and force the independents into a conference if they want to compete at the I-A level.

The Mountain West is a lot better than the MAC.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #338
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Down with ASU!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #339
Galaxy
Coordinator

Auburn escapes, which gives USF a bump as well.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-13-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #340
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The Mountain West is a lot better than the MAC.
The only reason I didn't say the MAC is they already have 12 teams (actually 13, so they'd have to lose one).

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #341
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

If the media says something to the effect of, "Brohm brings himself back into the Heisman Race" I'm going to puke.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-13-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #342
wade moore
lolzcat

Jeebs would be happy, I have the UTEP game to watch now .. that and Colorado vs. KSU.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #343
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
If the media says something to the effect of, "Brohm brings himself back into the Heisman Race" I'm going to puke.

I would tend to agree with you, but who exactly is the front runner? There are a number of players in the conversation and no real favorites at this point, as far as I can see.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #344
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder how far LSU and Cal end up dropping?

I think you have to keep LSU ahead of Southern Cal and South Carolina. I could see them dropping down just a few spots, to like 4th or 5th.

I think Cal drops to around 11 or 12, losing at home to a .500 team.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #345
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Resident Oregon State alumn checking in …

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #346
st.cronin
General Manager

I still don't understand the obsession with what is the true national champion in COLLEGE football. Part of what makes college football so great is that nearly every game involves a trophy of some kind. College football embraces its triviality. Minnesota is having a dreadful year, but if they get it together and beat Wisconsin THEY HAVE RECLAIMED PAUL BUNYAN'S AXE!!!!! Let the conference champions be champions; let the bowl game winners be champions; have as many champions as possible. Declaring that there be only one true champion, to me, harms the product.

knives out
Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #347
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

If Louisville was in a closer race for anything, I'd consider him. When the team is 9-3 then we can start talking about him, but right now. I say no. A couple more weeks then we can start possibly talking about him as long as he keeps his ridiculous numbers up.

Who is more deserving of the Heisman right now? At least one player on a top 15 team I'm sure is slightly more deserving... I dunno who exactly.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #348
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

OREGON STATE FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!!!!!
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #349
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

omg, if Minny somehow beats Wisconsin this year, I might lose my mind.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #350
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'd give some large incentive for 3 I-AA teams (Montana, Delaware, and UMass come to mind) to come to I-A. I would then negotiate some way that we can siphon off two conferences (Sunbelt and Mountain West maybe?) and force the independents into a conference if they want to compete at the I-A level.

So, that's 120 teams into 10 conferences - 12 teams each.

Give the conference Champions a bid and then either 2 (with 1st round byes) or 6 at-large spots.

That would be my ideal.

My more realistic is that only 12 team conferences can get an auto-bid giving us 6 or 7 (assuming that the Big 10 and maybe the Pac-10 would add teams) autobids and then get up to 12 teams with at-larges. This would mirror what I-AA does. Only the larger, better conferences have auto-bids.

My only issue with this is that there is too much bias in the system towards the big conferences. Aside from bias, how do we know that an undefeated Tulane is not as good as a one loss LSU, etc. How do we know that a 2 loss Michigan is better or worse than a 2 loss Georgia. How do you decide which conference champion you keep home? You keep it limited to conference champions and there is no debate. Now, you can argue the same thing with conference tie-breakers and such, but most conferences have a title game, so it is settled there for the most part.

But, I agree with you about getting rid of the independents.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote