bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #302
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Woo. Bye bye Yanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #303
spleen1015
Coordinator

Another successful baseball season. The Yankees didn't win the WS.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #304
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

woohoo now we can stop hearing the massive BJ coming out of NY
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #305
Rizon
Pro Starter

An 89 trillion dollar payroll and they can't even advance past the Divisional Series. Sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 10-08-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #306
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What a warm, fuzzy feeling
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #307
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i have a smile on my face
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #308
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Me too, and the Cubs are gone too.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #309
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Glad it wasn't just me who was annoyed by that call...

Add a third. It was a freakin fly ball to the warning track. Granted, Yankee stadium has a deep left center, but the ball was hit a mile high. It was little more than a routine play.

Has the ball Abreau hit landed yet?

If I'm a Cleveland fan, I'm simply terrified of Borowski coming in in a one run game. If it comes down to him vs. Ortiz or Manny, I have to think Boston will win those games.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #310
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think everyone at this point should fear Boston. That team is clicking and they do everything right. I don't know that scrappy play will be enough when Papi and Manny start teeing off.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #311
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Since A-Rod will now never be considered a "true Yankee", what team does he go to so he can hit home runs off of true Yankees.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #312
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think the safe money is on the Cubs at this point. Especially with their recent postseason exodus. But when we're talking $30M a year, does safe money exist? He could go to Boston, since that's where he wanted to be all along.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-08-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #313
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
If I'm a Cleveland fan, I'm simply terrified of Borowski coming in a game.

Fixed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #314
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Since A-Rod will now never be considered a "true Yankee", what team does he go to so he can hit home runs off of true Yankees.

Cubs or Angels. Art Moreno is rumored to have a serious man-crush on A-Rod and with their offense looking horrible outside of Vlad, he may be willing to pay him what he's looking for.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #315
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Does Eric Wedge let Borowski pitch to Manny or Papi with a lead.. That should be some high drama.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #316
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I think everyone at this point should fear Boston. That team is clicking and they do everything right. I don't know that scrappy play will be enough when Papi and Manny start teeing off.

Wait a minute. . . "at this point?"

People should have been fearing Boston heading into the playoffs. They struggled at the end of the year, but they had little to play for and were resting a lot of their regulars. They have a solid lineup with superstars, a great starting staff and a solid bullpen. This was the favorite going in IMHO and nothing has changed.

That said. . . if there is one team in the league that I thought could beat Boston, it's this Indians team. Sabathia and Carmona in at least 3, maybe 4 games of this series? That gives them a chance every night those guys pitch. Their bullpen is terrific. They have a lot of role players who come up big. They have speed to challenge a horrible throwing catcher in Varitek. With that pitching, I think they have a chance to scrape out a couple of 4-2 type games in this series. If they do that and can get the series into a coin flip game seven, anything can happen.

The one weak link is Borowski. He can take one of those games I'm talking about and turn a 4-2 win into a 6-2 loss. He was 100% rested tonight and had NOTHING. I mean nothing. That was just ugly. Against the Red Sox, that's death.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #317
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep, in a short series, Sabathia and Carmona are a great asset to have. Though Boston, as a whole, is very scary team and has been for a long while. This may be the only way they can be beat (two aces on a team).
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #318
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't mean that Boston wasn't scary before. I was just referring to the fact that with all of this underdog love (Cleveland, Arizona and Colorado?) and this seemingly the year of the upset, that it seems that some of the trendier people might pick the Indians. But I will say that I prefer this matchup -- as I'm sure a lot of folks do outside of Yankeeland -- over another Yanks v. Sox matchup, especially since that Yankees team is a shell of its former self, despite the names on the roster.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #319
Hammer755
High School Varsity

The only thing that will temper my joy in seeing the Yankees get bounced will be all the articles talking about another A-Rod October failure while giving Jeter's absolutely miserable series a free pass.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #320
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sabathia/Carmona for 4 out of 7 games scares me (well, mostly Carmona. Beckett/Sabathia is a wash), but the best stat from this series was Cleveland hitting like .600 with 2 outs and RiSP. Theoretically they could keep that up, but the odds are heavily against it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #321
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
The only thing that will temper my joy in seeing the Yankees get bounced will be all the articles talking about another A-Rod October failure while giving Jeter's absolutely miserable series a free pass.

But he hit a clutch .176/.176/.176 with his single RBI coming on what could have been a force out if Blake had fielded the ball cleanly but instead was a home field scorer's single.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-09-2007 at 07:18 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #322
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

hehe ya know its comin
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #323
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I plan on streaming www.wfan.com today
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #324
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But he hit a clutch .176/.176/.176 with his single RBI coming on what could have been a force out if Blake had fielded the ball cleanly but instead was a home field scorer's single.

SI

Blake should have fielded the ball cleanly, but even if he had I doubt he gets Jeter at first or has time to get anyone on a force play. That doesn't take away the fact Jeter was horrible in this series, including his 3 double plays the final 2 games.

But we all need to make sure we don't just stop at Jeter. Other Yankees who will get a pass for a horrible series because people will center on Arod include:

Posada - .133 avg, 0 RBI
Matsui - .182 0 RBI

Heck, ARod's final numbers dwarf the Yankees overall numbers in the series. The Yankees hit .228/.300/.404 ARod looked like this: .267/.353/.467

About the only Yankee hitter who should be free from a lot of criticism is Cano IMHO.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #325
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

"".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #326
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #327
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i was eating lunch at a resturant today and espn was on a tv. all i saw they were talking about were the Yankees almost the entire time, with a little football thrown in. it was still about 90% yankees, god i hate them and ESPN
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #328
samifan24
Pro Starter

Lets Go Tribe! Woohoo!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #329
miami_fan
Coordinator

So is anyone going to watch the NLCS? Not just anyone on FOFC but nationally?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #330
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I am. I like baseball, even if I have no rooting interest. I wish the Phillies had mate it, so I could root for someone.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #331
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What he said. Tho I doubt others will feel the same. I hate to say it, but outside of Brandon Webb, there's not much interesting about the DBacks. The Rockies, on the other hand, are a great story so I'd love to see them win.

SI

Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #332
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So is anyone going to watch the NLCS? Not just anyone on FOFC but nationally?

I've been wondering if I wasn't where I was if I'd have an interest in the series. I think I would regardless.

But the Rockies are a great story and of course, I'm really pulling for them to get to the World Series so I can possibly go.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #333
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Whose ever been to Chase Field? It looks freakin' huge to me.

And I dunno, I read in the Times today that they still had tickets for Game 1 as recent as yesterday. I don't like that team because unlike the Marlins who are in a market where baseball could thrive long-term, I'm not convinced Phoenix needs a major league baseball team or a pro hockey team, yet the size of the population and a willingness to build huge stadiums mean that you get a team these days, even if there aren't a core base of fans supporting it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #334
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Whose ever been to Chase Field? It looks freakin' huge to me.

And I dunno, I read in the Times today that they still had tickets for Game 1 as recent as yesterday. I don't like that team because unlike the Marlins who are in a market where baseball could thrive long-term, I'm not convinced Phoenix needs a major league baseball team or a pro hockey team, yet the size of the population and a willingness to build huge stadiums mean that you get a team these days, even if there aren't a core base of fans supporting it.

As of this morning, I think they had about 4,000 tickets left. Evidently that was the way it was in 2001 when they won the WS.

I am not familiar with the situation in Arizona but I hear a lot of the same things that I hear about South Florida when it comes to baseball. There are an abundance of baseball fans in Arizona but there are not an abundance of Arizona Diamondback fans.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #335
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently they were advertising in Colorado that it was cheaper to buy a plane flight to Phoenix, get tickets there, and watch games 1 and 2 rather than scalp a ticket for the games in Denver

SI

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #336
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Apparently they were advertising in Colorado that it was cheaper to buy a plane flight to Phoenix, get tickets there, and watch games 1 and 2 rather than scalp a ticket for the games in Denver

SI

Yup. Denver sports fans are crazy about their teams. But the problem is, lots of people who don't care are buying up tickets and marking them up ridiculously.

The team was super smart for the World Series. Tickets won't go on sale until a week from Monday and of course, Game 3 is less than a week after that. I guess they figure that way, it minimizes the impact that the brokers can have on the market and it also makes sure they're actually in the World Series.

Nice double play to end the inning. Man, they sure do play great defense.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #337
miami_fan
Coordinator

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not saying that Phoenix does not deserve a team or anything like that.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #338
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not saying that Phoenix does not deserve a team or anything like that.

Neither am I. I mean, where would you put them? And at least they build new facilities for their teams at the drop of a hat it seems. I was just commenting.

I didn't realize Augie Ojeda was in Arizona.

And I do like that the Rox jumped on them early and keep them not hitting, as I figured they might. Francis is great. I hope they keep him in Colorado for a long time.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #339
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Neither am I. I mean, where would you put them? And at least they build new facilities for their teams at the drop of a hat it seems. I was just commenting.

I didn't realize Augie Ojeda was in Arizona.

And I do like that the Rox jumped on them early and keep them not hitting, as I figured they might. Francis is great. I hope they keep him in Colorado for a long time.

Thanks. I was hoping to just enjoy the series. Now I'm remembering how in two years half the team will be gone because the pathetic ass owners won't give anyone money.

I hope to God they do the right thing with this team. I really, really do.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #340
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Thanks. I was hoping to just enjoy the series. Now I'm remembering how in two years half the team will be gone because the pathetic ass owners won't give anyone money.

I hope to God they do the right thing with this team. I really, really do.

I'm with you on this. It's probably part of why I'm afraid to get too excited about all of this business. I mean, I'm coming to the whole Rockies train late, but I've admired the team well before I got here and it just took me a while to decide to admit to liking them.

But they do baseball the right way and the chemistry between them seems huge. If this was FOF, that'd be a high rating there.

But...like you, I really wonder about that. I'm still thinking about how this would've all been for naught had Helton gone to Boston back in March.

And there's a Mike Gallego sighting.

That all being said, I can appreciate this run for what it is, they're playing insanely great baseball and doing it without turning into Blake Street Bombers II and so, it's even cooler.

I'm appreciate how in this Series you can already tell how much better the Rockies are and how much more poised their guys are, versus Arizona's gang.

I do hope that they try to build on this in future years no matter what happens, because if they do, there will be Rockies fans in the city for decades to come...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #341
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good hustle by Matsui. Rockies add another run.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #342
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Rockies would totally MLB's Super Bowl. They got two QBs.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #343
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There's no one on this team left from that '01 DBacks World Series squad is there?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-11-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #344
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm with you on this. It's probably part of why I'm afraid to get too excited about all of this business. I mean, I'm coming to the whole Rockies train late, but I've admired the team well before I got here and it just took me a while to decide to admit to liking them.

But they do baseball the right way and the chemistry between them seems huge. If this was FOF, that'd be a high rating there.

But...like you, I really wonder about that. I'm still thinking about how this would've all been for naught had Helton gone to Boston back in March.

And there's a Mike Gallego sighting.

That all being said, I can appreciate this run for what it is, they're playing insanely great baseball and doing it without turning into Blake Street Bombers II and so, it's even cooler.

I'm appreciate how in this Series you can already tell how much better the Rockies are and how much more poised their guys are, versus Arizona's gang.

I do hope that they try to build on this in future years no matter what happens, because if they do, there will be Rockies fans in the city for decades to come...

It's a huge win if the Rockies hold them off, but I'd hesitate to say the Rockies are the better team quite yet. I think they'll win the series, but it's a LONG series. One game at a time. One game.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #345
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Throwing stuff on the field. Silliness.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #346
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sorry folks, you don't get to win the World Series all the time. Get a grip and enjoy the stupid game. Or boo on calls that actually make sense to boo.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-11-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #347
TroyF
Coordinator

Stay classy DBack fans, stay classy.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #348
Logan
Head Coach

They probably think they're supposed to be throwing shit.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #349
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They probably think they're supposed to be throwing shit.

+1

"I saw this on TV once! We'll show those folks we're real fans!"

Dude, you're down 5-1, keep booing.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #350
Logan
Head Coach

You know, it's really Melvin's fault that the fans are throwing crap. If he didn't come out to argue a completely perfect call, the fans wouldn't have had the time to get angry about it. And since they clearly don't understand the rules, they think they have the right to be pissed.

A part of me slightly wishes that an empty bottle drilled Sager in the head during his report.