Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #301
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wasn't there some commercial with Brady and his o-line... involving some credit card?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #302
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Seahawks will win that division by three games over the Cardinals and by 6+ over the Niners and Rams.

I am glad you were wrong here; because it means good things for the Pats. I just never believed after the first few weeks that Seatle was going to cruise. They in fact did lose half (3) of their divisional games. And with a loss in Tampa it could very well mean tying the Rams for the division but getting in on the tiebreaker. That would mean they were one Josh Brown long last second miss away from being 7-9 and out of the playoffs.

Judging by the tiebreakers it looks as if the first rounder from Seattle for Branch will be no worse than 22 or 23 (it could have been even if better if not for playoff teams being dropped below all non-playoff teams with the same record). If the Hawks were to actually lose in Tampa (a real possibility) no doubt some of the 8-7 AFC teams will win and that pick could start coming in at around 19-20. This is a very good deal for trading Branch [I'm not saying I wouldn't still want him at a lower contract, but since it got to the point that he was gone for sure, getting as low as a 19th rounder was a great deal in my opinion].

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-26-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #303
Galaril
Pro Starter

It is all irrelevant since either the Ravens or the Chargres are going to CRUSH the this Pats team. No Belicheck "coaching magic".
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #304
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

How does gaining a 1st round pick become irrelevant due to what happens in the playoffs this year?

I think you've been hanging around Troy to long.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #305
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sorry, misread the topic thought it was just about how Branch sucks. It is relevant that the Pats get 1st rounder for him. I am sure he will come back. Branch sucking is the least of the Seahawk's problems. The O-line is not helping matters.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I am secretly hoping that the Seahawks make a superbowl run, and lose. Hopefully to the Jets.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #307
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Man, too bad the Pats don't have Branch.

BTW, major knee surgery...out at least nine months.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #308
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pats should tell Randy Moss to s*ck it too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #309
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think they are going to tell Stallworth to s*ck it. Probably not Moss.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #310
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

The Patriots will regret not paying him the money if he does indeed leave.

I think they're at peace with their decision, actually.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #311
molson
General Manager

It's kind of funny how all the Pats fan in this thread we glad to see that the Pats didn't overpay Branch, while everyone else said they'd regret it.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #312
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ehh... we were certainly hurt last year by our WR corp (I wouldn't have minded seeing Branch out there on 3rd down vs. the Colts), and I'm not sure we didn't overpay Stallworth last offseason. You can't predict the injuries Branch has had since or a Randy Moss being available on the cheap. So I'd say overall it's a great job by the Pats looking long-term, but it did hurt short term.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #313
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Ehh... we were certainly hurt last year by our WR corp (I wouldn't have minded seeing Branch out there on 3rd down vs. the Colts), and I'm not sure we didn't overpay Stallworth last offseason. You can't predict the injuries Branch has had since or a Randy Moss being available on the cheap. So I'd say overall it's a great job by the Pats looking long-term, but it did hurt short term.

I don't see 3.6 million as overpaying for Stallworth. He was quite good this season, and seems like a decent #2 WR (would be a poor #1 on some teams even). Any lack of production from him this year speaks more to how good Welker and Moss was than to how bad he was. At least in the games I watched, Stallworth made many many quite good plays and was worth his money.

He is not however worth the amount he would be owed next year if the option was picked up which is why he likely is gone.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #314
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think they're at peace with their decision, actually.

It's because they had to go out and buy other recievers with that money. They absolutely did regret it in the playoffs last year, but the Pats are good in that they can see where they make mistakes (not resigning Branch) and rectify them (getting Moss and Welker).
Old 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #315
rkmsuf
Head Coach

No way they are this good on offense if they kept Branch.

Talk about cashing in and being largely irrelevant. Same with Givens. Pats are two for two there.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #316
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's because they had to go out and buy other recievers with that money.

And those "replacement" receivers are far better than Branch, was my point. I imagine they wouldn't be in New England if Branch stayed.

I guess they could have used him in the AFC Championship game - though he probably would have been injured by then.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #317
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
And those "replacement" receivers are far better than Branch, was my point. I imagine they wouldn't be in New England if Branch stayed.

I guess they could have used him in the AFC Championship game - though he probably would have been injured by then.

He was irrelvant in that game too pretty much. They were killing the Colts. Suddenly then couldn't stop Indy.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #318
Butter
Coordinator

Man, I can't wait until the Patriots slip up even ONE time. I may have to wait until next year... or even a couple of years from now. But I am going to dance on the franchise's grave when the dynasty finally dies. And I'll be sure all of you Pats fans who are annoying about it know it (notice I didn't say all Pats fans... just the annoying ones).
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #319
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't see 3.6 million as overpaying for Stallworth. He was quite good this season, and seems like a decent #2 WR (would be a poor #1 on some teams even). Any lack of production from him this year speaks more to how good Welker and Moss was than to how bad he was. At least in the games I watched, Stallworth made many many quite good plays and was worth his money.

He is not however worth the amount he would be owed next year if the option was picked up which is why he likely is gone.
Ahhh.... if it's an option/roster bonus in the contract that makes sense. I remembered the initial numbers but not the specifics. Still, what's surprised me is that Gaffney has surpassed Stallworth on the depth chart.

rkm/molson - If you're implying they wouldn't have gotten the WR's this offseason, then maybe you're right. But I don't see any noticeable difference between Branch and any WR other than Moss. I don't see how you could say he's any worse than Stallworth, Gaffney, Chad Jackson or Troy Brown and I even think he could do Welker's job almost as well. And again, you can't predict injury, so while I was against both re-signings, the injuries suffered just after they left is largely luck.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #320
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Ahhh.... if it's an option/roster bonus in the contract that makes sense. I remembered the initial numbers but not the specifics. Still, what's surprised me is that Gaffney has surpassed Stallworth on the depth chart.

rkm/molson - If you're implying they wouldn't have gotten the WR's this offseason, then maybe you're right. But I don't see any noticeable difference between Branch and any WR other than Moss. I don't see how you could say he's any worse than Stallworth, Gaffney, Chad Jackson or Troy Brown and I even think he could do Welker's job almost as well. And again, you can't predict injury, so while I was against both re-signings, the injuries suffered just after they left is largely luck.

He may not be any worse than those guys, but I'm assuming he was asking for way more money? Plus, didn't they get a 1st round pick out of this deal? Hot damn!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #321
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I just think Branch is/was way overrated in general. Obviously the Seahawks disagreed but injury wise and production wise it's hard to justify big money for him. IMO.

Heck, 800 year old Bobby Engram outplayed him. Branch is a good player and gets hurt a lot, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's funny reading some of the thread now, knowing that the Patriots probably wouldn't have been able to franchise Branch after the 2007 season anyways. I guess maybe they could have played ball with him or Samuel, but most certainly I would have franchised Assante after 2007.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #323
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I might be wrong as I don't follow the Pats, but I do watch many of their games since I live in the area, but I don't see that Branch and Walker are the same type of receiver. To me, I view Moss/Stallworth and Branch all having a similar role in receiving. Obviously Moss is heads and tails better than Stallworth or Branch which has made both of them irrelevant. Walker has the role that I believe Troy Brown used to have and just like earlier in the Pats "dynasty" run where Troy was often a valuable part of the receiving corp, Walker has done the same thing this year in picking up all of the across the middle stuff.

Obviously Moss/Walker is an upgrade over Branch/Brown (Even though Troy Brown is still on the team, he really doesn't have the same ability or role as a few years ago due to age). The interesting question I think is which would have been better if the Moss trade had never occured.. would you take Branch/Brown over Stallworth/Walker? I think I would choose the second of the two even if assuming Brown was in his prime of a few years before.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #324
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
He was irrelvant in that game too pretty much. They were killing the Colts. Suddenly then couldn't stop Indy.
We convert that 3rd and 4, we win the game. I don't care if we scored 34 pts early on, anytime you're up 20 and lose, it's partly on your offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Man, I can't wait until the Patriots slip up even ONE time. I may have to wait until next year... or even a couple of years from now. But I am going to dance on the franchise's grave when the dynasty finally dies. And I'll be sure all of you Pats fans who are annoying about it know it (notice I didn't say all Pats fans... just the annoying ones).
Just make sure you wait a little bit before crowing... the first SB looked like a fluke the year after, this Branch thing looked bad last year, and then there were the Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Ted Washington, Adam Vinatieri decisions, all of which had people crowing at the time. I'm sure if we cut Rodney Harrison this offseason people will be saying that hurts our defense tremendously when I'm pretty sure on the field James Sanders is a better player right now. He certainly is in coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
He may not be any worse than those guys, but I'm assuming he was asking for way more money? Plus, didn't they get a 1st round pick out of this deal? Hot damn!
Getting the 1st round pick was icing on the cake, but he (at least originally) wasn't asking for much more than Stallworth, Moss or Welker (who we gave up a #2 for, essentially moving up 40 spots) got this season, he just wanted long-term guarantees (and clearly he did what he should have done, get his money before he was injured) we were not prepared to give. And my main point is that people are going overboard with just how good out current WR's are and how bad Branch is.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #325
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's a pretty remarkable run as far as former NE players. Can't think of any that have gone on to be all that relevant.

Milloy
Law
Givens
Branch
McGinest
Ted Washington
Fauria
Dillion
Daniel Graham
Gabriel
Banta Cain
Bethel Johnson
Dan Klecko
Damien Woody
Old 01-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #326
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think McGinest is doing exactly what he went to the Browns to do: help mentor the young guys. He didn't jump for money like Branch, Milloy, Law, Givens, Graham, Vinatieri, and Woody did.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #327
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I think McGinest is doing exactly what he went to the Browns to do: help mentor the young guys. He didn't jump for money like Branch, Milloy, Law, Givens, Graham, Vinatieri, and Woody did.

Still, he's allegedly out there on regular downs. But yes, he was a little different.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #328
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
It's kind of funny how all the Pats fan in this thread we glad to see that the Pats didn't overpay Branch, while everyone else said they'd regret it.

Guess you didn't read my comments.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #329
st.cronin
General Manager

dola

Does anybody else think the Pats might use their 1st round pick on a WR (DeSean Jackson, maybe)?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #330
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Of course - it will all come crashing down eventually. From my point of view, there's an urgency to enjoy it as much as humanly possible when it's going on. That might be a small part of our annoying nature.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #331
molson
General Manager

Quote:
. I don't see how you could say he's any worse than Stallworth, Gaffney, Chad Jackson or Troy Brown and I even think he could do Welker's job almost as well. And again, you can't predict injury, so while I was against both re-signings, the injuries suffered just after they left is largely luck.

I don't think Branch is any worse that any of those but Stallworth and Welker. Stalloworth would have put up HUGE numbers if he had been with Brady any season before this one. And Welker is obviously the perfect complement to Moss. I would have loved for the Pats to be able to keep Branch for more reasonable money. But in a salary cap league, overpaying a guy is far worse than not having him at all.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #332
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think Branch is any worse that any of those but Stallworth and Welker. Stallworth would have put up HUGE numbers if he had been with Brady any season before this one. And Welker is obviously the perfect complement to Moss.
Stallworth has been steadily losing time to Gaffney as the season went on. When he came in, I thought he might have better numbers than Moss and certainly than Welker, but it seems he doesn't fit our offense/mesh well with Brady. And he's not the first talented WR that hasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
dola

Does anybody else think the Pats might use their 1st round pick on a WR (DeSean Jackson, maybe)?
It's Belichick, so he could do anything, but I doubt it. I think they've learned their lesson from the Bethel Johnson/Chad Jackson picks and have started realizing, that like at LB, veteran WR's fit in better than rookies. The learning curve for the offense is long enough that 1st round WR's are overpaid and overvalued. I could easily see them taking Davone Bess or Dexter Jackson later on though.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #333
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It's a pretty remarkable run as far as former NE players. Can't think of any that have gone on to be all that relevant.

Milloy
Law
Givens
Branch
McGinest
Ted Washington
Fauria
Dillion
Daniel Graham
Gabriel
Banta Cain
Bethel Johnson
Dan Klecko
Damien Woody

I don't really think that Banta-Cain is particularly any worse now than he was on the Patriots.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #334
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Until Brady and Belichick leave, the Pats dynasty will live on. It will crash down when they are gone.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #335
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

As for Branch, I think you have to say that certain guys are prone to injuries. Branch is one of them, and one reason why paying him $39 million ($23 million in first 3 years) was not a good idea at the time.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 01-17-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #336
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I don't really think that Banta-Cain is particularly any worse now than he was on the Patriots.

he certainly didn't deserve a raise
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #337
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Keeping in mind we also got a 1st rounder for Branch. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could think that wasn't a complete win.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #338
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Man, too bad the Pats don't have Branch.

BTW, major knee surgery...out at least nine months.

Ummm you are not actually happy about a player getting injured are you?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #339
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ummm you are not actually happy about a player getting injured are you?

I'm giggling like a school girl dancing around the may pole.

Or put another way, my nads are pumped.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #340
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm giggling like a school girl dancing around the may pole.

Or put another way, my nads are pumped.

Good. I don't want there to be any misunderstandings
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #341
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Surely you didn't think I cared what Deion Branch did with the rest of his life.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #342
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Surely you didn't think I cared what Deion Branch did with the rest of his life.

I really could care less. I, like you, am just looking for some consistancy. Earlier this year, there was talk that is "inhumane" to revel in a player's injury. Like I said, just making sure there are no misunderstandings *shrug*
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #343
Synovia
High School Varsity

"Getting the 1st round pick was icing on the cake, but he (at least originally) wasn't asking for much more than Stallworth, Moss or Welker (who we gave up a #2 for, essentially moving up 40 spots) got this season, he just wanted long-term guarantees"

Thats absolutely incorrect.

Branch wanted 7M+ a year. They offered him an extension at 6M a year and he didn't want it. He wanted Reggie Wayne money. Welker and Stallworth are making LESS COMBINED than Branch wanted.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #344
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I really could care less. I, like you, am just looking for some consistancy. Earlier this year, there was talk that is "inhumane" to revel in a player's injury. Like I said, just making sure there are no misunderstandings *shrug*

I love injuries. Would love it if Merriman fell down some stairs and Phillips got caught in a combine.