Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #301
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I think like that sometimes as well. But for me, it's my one single vice. I don't smoke. I rarely drink. I'm not a guy who likes to spend a lot of time in a bar. I rarely go to movies.

I believe I've now put in somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-150 hours already with the 360. Maybe even a bit more.

Counting games purchased, that puts me in the area of six bucks an hour or so. I can live with that.

All that said the original Xbox and PS2 were at $300 bucks at launch. (with the PS2 not falling in price until May of 2002 to compete with the Xbox price cut.

I don't think the extra 100 for the full blown 360 with HD support is out of line.

But Sony? Yeah, if you are getting a console strictly for gaming, the 600 dollar price point is out of line. For people like me who do not care about Blu-Ray, Sony priced themselves out of the market.

That sums up my feelings perfectly. I've also already played the 360 over 100 hours and I'm somewhere in the range of 7 or 8 dollars/hour counting games purchased and accessories purchased. I'm still playing NBA2k6 and College Hoops frequently so that number will go down. Overall, I'm quite happy with that purchase.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #302
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Since moving to a motel to stay for the next three to four weeks, my time vs. cost has doubled, since I play against my wife (she loves Fight Night Round 3) or my son. Before we moved out, I played solo much of the time.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #303
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As far as the 360 goes, now that our DVD player died it has the added bonus of playing DVD's for us. Normally it wouldn't have been used for that, mainly because I never liked having to use the PS2 for that. But the 360 is much better then my PS2 was for watching movies on.

I only have one game so far, college hoops, and I have logged some good time on that. Although it is sporadic, maybe a couple times every two-three weeks, just because of my schedule. Love that game though so my desite to play it is still there.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #304
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
My original plan was to buy on release if I could get one. This was expecting a price of $499 or less. I am not however going to take second best at that price.
I will now probably wait for the first price drop on the 60gb model. If it takes a year that's ok.

Of course there's always the possibility that I'll run across one sitting on a shelf next spring and won't be able to resist I'll have it home, set up, and playing with the kids before the wife knows what hit her And by kids I mean I have one in high scool and one that will have to come home from college for the weekend to play.

In all seriousness though PS3 was going to be an almost instant purchase. With this price I do think I'll be patient and see how the reviews come out comparing it to what the 360 can do. Something I really hadn't anticipated doing at all.

Since the E3 reports here and else where I thought I'd update my thoughts on the ps3.

My thinking now is to get a 360 this fall whether there is a price drop or not.
With the wife's discount I can get the premium system for $359 or if they do drop the premium to $299 I could come in at $269. If I'm real patient and wait for her Chirstmas discount it would come in at either $319 or $239. Can't really see getting one now though as Fight Night would be my only game purchase as I'll wait 'til fall for the new Madden or any other sports titles.

With the 360 in hand I can be more than patient waiting for the ps3 to make it's first price drop or two. This plan would also allow me time to see just how much better it is (or if it is) than the 360. If it shows itself to be head and shoulders above the 360 I can wait for the big price drop even if it's two years and end up owning both for less than the $600. No matter what I do the wife is going to be pissed but at least the kids and I will have fun. Kind of feel sorry for her when she's telling us what a waste of money all this stuff is and we're snickering under our breaths trying not to laugh

One other thing about the ps3. I heard Sony's online service is going to be free, though individual gamemakers can charge to use their sites. Anyone else here this? Not sure what xbox charges but if its $10 a month\ $120 per year over a 5 year console life that's $600 if it's true. Something else to consider before I make the plunge.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #305
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
One other thing about the ps3. I heard Sony's online service is going to be free, though individual gamemakers can charge to use their sites. Anyone else here this? Not sure what xbox charges but if its $10 a month\ $120 per year over a 5 year console life that's $600 if it's true. Something else to consider before I make the plunge.

Not sure, but that could end up much worse in practice. Someone has to pay for the network. If each game is charging, that could be quite a few payments to keep track of.

Also it would likely mean less players. I've played most all of my 360 games online at some point. If I were charged, I may have paid the fee for one or two of them.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #306
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not sure, but that could end up much worse in practice. Someone has to pay for the network. If each game is charging, that could be quite a few payments to keep track of.

Also it would likely mean less players. I've played most all of my 360 games online at some point. If I were charged, I may have paid the fee for one or two of them.

Thanks for the reply.

I've never played any of my games online so I know nothing about it. I took it as games like final fantasy would probably charge a fee. Games like Madden head to head would be on Sony's servers and be free. I could very well be mistaken and so was curious what others thought or heard about this.

By the way I was just throwing out figures so, what does xbox charge for online gaming?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #307
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Xbox 360 is 50 dollars a year for the gold service. Silver service is free. Also, I strongly doubt EA Sports would allow their games to be free on Sony's servers. They were reportedly in strong debate to have Microsoft charge for the games and wanted them on their own servers.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:14 AM   #308
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I've never played any of my games online so I know nothing about it. I took it as games like final fantasy would probably charge a fee. Games like Madden head to head would be on Sony's servers and be free. I could very well be mistaken and so was curious what others thought or heard about this.

By the way I was just throwing out figures so, what does xbox charge for online gaming?

OK, all the "they've already raped me for 600 dollar" jokes aside, how does Sony expect to pay for the large amount of players on their servers?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #309
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
OK, all the "they've already raped me for 600 dollar" jokes aside, how does Sony expect to pay for the large amount of players on their servers?

I'm not sure. They're talking about a unified infrastructure, à la Xbox Live, which would mean that either they're going to split their service the way Microsoft has Xbox Live, or else they're planning on an advertising-heavy service to pay for things.

Or they think microtransactions are going to be a much larger piece of the business for them than anybody realizes.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #310
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dear God. Sony may be the first company to jump the shark at Lightspeed.

Over in Japan, they've announced the Playstation Signature (TM) line of accessories.

(remember, 1 dollar= 112.18 Yen)

¥13,000 MDR-EX90SL PSP headphones
a ¥2,200 acrylic PSP stand
a ¥8,000 and ¥4,000 crocodile-like PSP and UMD case
¥30,000 tote bag with PSP pocket
¥15,000 rayon/poly blend shirt
¥5,500 coin purse
¥6,000 card case
¥11,500 wallet
¥5,500 t-shirt
¥6,500 polo shirt
¥4,800 PSP strap (that's $40 for a FECKIN STRAP with a mini PS logo on it?)
¥2,200 champagne flute
¥2,200 red wine glass
¥2,100 white wine glass
¥20,000 notebook
¥2,600 pen set
and a ¥33,600 Emeliio Pucci-designed crocodile or leather PSP case (Yup, $300 to protect your PSP. Hell at that price, your PSP should be protecting IT!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #311
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
and a ¥33,600 Emeliio Pucci-designed crocodile or leather PSP case (Yup, $300 to protect your PSP. Hell at that price, your PSP should be protecting IT!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #312
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Dear God. Sony may be the first company to jump the shark at Lightspeed.

Over in Japan, they've announced the Playstation Signature (TM) line of accessories.

(remember, 1 dollar= 112.18 Yen)

¥13,000 MDR-EX90SL PSP headphones
a ¥2,200 acrylic PSP stand
a ¥8,000 and ¥4,000 crocodile-like PSP and UMD case
¥30,000 tote bag with PSP pocket
¥15,000 rayon/poly blend shirt
¥5,500 coin purse
¥6,000 card case
¥11,500 wallet
¥5,500 t-shirt
¥6,500 polo shirt
¥4,800 PSP strap (that's $40 for a FECKIN STRAP with a mini PS logo on it?)
¥2,200 champagne flute
¥2,200 red wine glass
¥2,100 white wine glass
¥20,000 notebook
¥2,600 pen set

Keep in mind Japan historically gets wacky crap like that. I'm not sure if it's because the Japanese are crazy enough to pay prices like that to accessorize, or what, but ¥4,800 = $42.79, and that's not necessarily what they would charge for that thing over here.

For comparison's sake, the PlayStation 2 launched in Japan at ¥39,800, which at current exchange rates would be $354.79. At exchange rates as of the end of March 2000, it would be $377.25.

We got the PS2 in October of that year for $299.99, nearly a $100 difference. Some of that might be production cost savings. Some of that is probably just the fact that marketing likes to have nice round numbers when they sell something. $299 seems accessible. $354 or $377 would just confuse people. Some of that is also psychological. $299 is still under the $300 barrier, but $349 - closer to what the Japanese paid - might, at the time, have seemed too high.

At any rate, I guess what I'm trying to say is, yeah, from our perspective those prices for those items seem crazy. For the Japanese, they may not seem so.

I still can't imagine paying $102.50 for a wallet, though.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Keep in mind Japan historically gets wacky crap like that. I'm not sure if it's because the Japanese are crazy enough to pay prices like that to accessorize, or what, but ¥4,800 = $42.79, and that's not necessarily what they would charge for that thing over here.

For comparison's sake, the PlayStation 2 launched in Japan at ¥39,800, which at current exchange rates would be $354.79. At exchange rates as of the end of March 2000, it would be $377.25.

We got the PS2 in October of that year for $299.99, nearly a $100 difference. Some of that might be production cost savings. Some of that is probably just the fact that marketing likes to have nice round numbers when they sell something. $299 seems accessible. $354 or $377 would just confuse people. Some of that is also psychological. $299 is still under the $300 barrier, but $349 - closer to what the Japanese paid - might, at the time, have seemed too high.

At any rate, I guess what I'm trying to say is, yeah, from our perspective those prices for those items seem crazy. For the Japanese, they may not seem so.

I still can't imagine paying $102.50 for a wallet, though.

Yeah, this is par for the course in Japan. They put out action figures for the video games, all kinds of purse and wallet accessories, stuff you'll find around your kitchen, etc. and sell it for lots of money, often throwing a 'limited edition' sticker on it. I'm not sure why the Japanese people continue to buy this junk, but they do it in droves. This goes back to the original Nintendo system. They had the same stuff except it was Mario wine glasses, Donkey Kong wallets, Megaman carrying cases, etc. Sony and Nintendo would love it if Americans did the same thing, but it just hasn't worked the same over here.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #314
oykib
College Starter

There's always a press here to get what's new.

I know a housewife that camped out all night to get a DS lite-- for herself! All because that brain teaser game was the new big thing...

I wanna reserve a Wii. But they haven't started taking reservations yet.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 PM   #315
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I find these comments (which appeared in a story on Gamespot) by Sony's Harrison to be somewhat humorous:

Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Somehow, I just don't see the PS3 replacing my computer.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #316
gstelmack
Pro Starter

How much for the keyboard and mouse to turn it into a PC? $250?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #317
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Especially with Vista beta 2 getting glowing press right now.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #318
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Spoke with a Sony rep today, looks like the price points on the PS3 will be $599 and $499....

I am getting more info from them here soon....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 PM   #319
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
Spoke with a Sony rep today, looks like the price points on the PS3 will be $599 and $499....

I am getting more info from them here soon....

*twitch*
Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 PM   #320
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And the information I received is....

Release Date: November 17th

PS3 $599 Version
-HDMI Port on PS3 (will take HDMI cable into PS3, no specialized proprietary
tip) will give you full 1080p resoultion
-60GB HDD
-Built in Wireless Capability
-Built in Memory Card Reader (not just MemoryStick)

PS3 $499 Version
-Component Cables (3 cables not one)
-20GB HDD
Old 06-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #321
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

Yeah no kidding. These guys are absolutely dreaming. The more high powered these consoles get, the less interested in them I get. We have a PS2 at home and I think I've played it about twice in the past 6 months.

I used to hate the fact that I had to continously upgrade my computer, and that led me to consoles in the first place. Now I haven't upgraded my PC in about 4 years - outside of more HD space, which is cheap - yet it seems that as soon as a new console is released, the company is already working on the next gen, rather than trying to get the most out of what the current model is capable of.

I find it hilarious that they think people would actually prefer to browse the web and do all the rest of their usual PC-work on a console+tv... I just don't see that happening. Stick to the gaming Sony.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #322
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
And the information I received is....

Release Date: November 17th

PS3 $599 Version
-HDMI Port on PS3 (will take HDMI cable into PS3, no specialized proprietary
tip) will give you full 1080p resoultion
-60GB HDD
-Built in Wireless Capability
-Built in Memory Card Reader (not just MemoryStick)

PS3 $499 Version
-Component Cables (3 cables not one)
-20GB HDD
I don't mean to pick on you but...this information has been public knowledge since E3 last month.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #323
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
I don't mean to pick on you but...this information has been public knowledge since E3 last month.

I'm fairly certain he's being a smartass.

Well.

I'm certain of that NOW.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #324
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I'm fairly certain he's being a smartass.

Well.

I'm certain of that NOW.

I am waiting on more, and yes I was being a smart ass.....My rep sent me this initially and I called him on it, he said there is some new information coming out in regards to it, so I am now playing the waiting game...
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #325
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

The Cell Processor fall down.. GO BOOM!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #326
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I find these comments (which appeared in a story on Gamespot) by Sony's Harrison to be somewhat humorous:

Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

They've been saying garbage like that to defend their price sinse people found out about it.

Yeah, I'm gong to throw out my PC because I have a PS3. It just goes to show these guys have lost it. They are dreaming about this universal entertainment system with Blu-Ray and all the other crap. . . and all 90% of us want is a GAME SYSTEM.

Insanity.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #327
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the huge new feature besides Blu Ray has pretty much shit the bed if the story above is true.. is this something they're going to write business school "this is how you destroy your market share" papers about for years to come?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #328
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Not to be critical, but when the source has a phrase like:

Quote:
Talk about a steak in the heart.

I tend to think that typos like that hurt The Inquirer's credibility.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #329
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy shit.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

The Cell Processor fall down.. GO BOOM!

Ouch.....assuming that's true of course.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #330
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

When I read this thread it just gives that vibe of some people trying really hard to justify their Xbox360 purchase. You have one system that's being dogged before it has even came out because of price, functionality ect ect.

Then you have a system that's already out for half a year, and the best most people can say about it is 'well it has elder scrolls: oblivion' which is a title 100x better on the PC than the console.

I understand the thread is for PS3 discussion but how many of these rumors have to be shot down til people wait a little closer to release to make a reasonable decision?

I think the only 'rumor' in this thread that has been found to be true is the price - and even that was off a little bit.

Last edited by Deattribution : 06-05-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #331
SackAttack
Head Coach

theinquirer.net doesn't have much in the way of credibility to begin with, as I said to somebody else via AIM last night.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have honestly landed a scoop here; even a blind squirrel and all that.

We'll see.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #332
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
When I read this thread it just gives that vibe of some people trying really hard to justify their Xbox360 purchase. You have one system that's being dogged before it has even came out because of price, functionality ect ect.

Then you have a system that's already out for half a year, and the best most people can say about it is 'well it has elder scrolls: oblivion' which is a title 100x better on the PC than the console.

I understand the thread is for PS3 discussion but how many of these rumors have to be shot down til people wait a little closer to release to make a reasonable decision?

I think the only 'rumor' in this thread that has been found to be true is the price - and even that was off a little bit.

The price alone is what is sending me running away from Sony, the rest of this garbage has nothing to do with it.

And I mean the official price from Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #333
Anthony
Banned

no video game system is worth that much money. i mean, you really gotta be the bottom of the barrel nerd to want to pay that price for a console.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #334
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
no video game system is worth that much money. i mean, you really gotta be the bottom of the barrel nerd to want to pay that price for a console.

Unless that is just not really that much money to you. Which isn't he case for me, but it would be nice to think it was....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #335
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Good plan...make a video game player and price it like a plasma HDTV. Should be huge for Sony...
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #336
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Ummm, excuse me? The best people can say about the 360 is Oblivion? Nothing about NBA2K6 or College Hoops 2K6 (two of the very best basketball games ever made for any system)

Nothing about Perfect Dark Zero (a pretty damned good MP game) or Burnout Revenge (better than the other consoles for the HD alone) or Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing or even NFS Most Wanted? Or the great execution of LIVE and how enjoyable many of the game have been on there?

Or do you mean the controller, which is one of the best controllers I've ever played with on any system? What the Sony fanboys don't want anyone to know is that there are very few unhappy 360 owners. By the time Gears of War and some of the other A List titles hit this fall, the PS3 will be behind the 8 ball.

I'm not saying the story is true. It could easily be false. Still, the fact of the matter is 360 owners don't need to make up stories about a poor PS3 processor to feel good about their purchase.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #337
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ummm, excuse me? The best people can say about the 360 is Oblivion? Nothing about NBA2K6 or College Hoops 2K6 (two of the very best basketball games ever made for any system)

Nothing about Perfect Dark Zero (a pretty damned good MP game) or Burnout Revenge (better than the other consoles for the HD alone) or Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing or even NFS Most Wanted? Or the great execution of LIVE and how enjoyable many of the game have been on there?

Or do you mean the controller, which is one of the best controllers I've ever played with on any system? What the Sony fanboys don't want anyone to know is that there are very few unhappy 360 owners. By the time Gears of War and some of the other A List titles hit this fall, the PS3 will be behind the 8 ball.

I'm not saying the story is true. It could easily be false. Still, the fact of the matter is 360 owners don't need to make up stories about a poor PS3 processor to feel good about their purchase.

Exactly, there are plenty of games my wife and I each like with more coming out soon. I don't need to justify my purchase to anyone besides my wife, and since she really likes the 360 too, that is not a problem. As I've said before, I would buy the PS3 if the price wasn't too high. Now, I'll wait for a price drop (or two) unless unbiased reviews show me that it has significantly better sports games in which case I might cave.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-06-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #338
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Perfect Dark is a multiplayer experience topped by most PC games hands down (IMO obviously), Call of Duty 2 is a PC port, one that really didn't need a sequel if they were going to strip down what they added anyway in multiplayer, the single-player is so linear. Both basketball games are as good, if not better on other systems - just not as pretty. If you're a 360 fanboy, it's no wonder you're amazed with a system that has no substance at all (see 'BO: revenge oooh pretty HD comment).

You can twiddle your thumbs at the response but the fact is there still isn't a single game that isn't already as good, if not better on another console or PC thus far. Graphic wise it's obviously a superior experience (for some games), but I like my games to be fun more than just pretty. There are plenty of unhappy people FYI too, when you have to purchase a secondary cooling system for your overheating 360, or it gets moved while running and eats your disc. Or let's not forget random freezes and talk of releasing a 'new' 360 that fixes the original's flaws (how's that early value eh, price drop and better quality coming soon)

Not to mention you pretty much admited there are no A-list titles, and you are waiting for them later in the year. Yeah they came out first, but they've blew what could been an astronomical lead by releasing a system with jack for software. Big whoop. Before it gets asked, I also own a 360, it was a gift - otherwise I could have waited til 'they release their a-list titles'. I also got to return that system for repairs three days after opening the box.

the free pass MS gets here is hilarious.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #339
WVUFAN
College Starter

I honestly can't think of a single FPS game better on console than on PC.

Give me a Mouse and a Keyboard anytime.

I agree with Deattribution: You guys give MS too much credit. At release, Sony will have (IMO) more interesting games than anything the 360 has out.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #340
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Perfect Dark is a multiplayer experience topped by most PC games hands down (IMO obviously), Call of Duty 2 is a PC port, one that really didn't need a sequel if they were going to strip down what they added anyway in multiplayer, the single-player is so linear. Both basketball games are as good, if not better on other systems - just not as pretty. If you're a 360 fanboy, it's no wonder you're amazed with a system that has no substance at all (see 'BO: revenge oooh pretty HD comment).

You can twiddle your thumbs at the response but the fact is there still isn't a single game that isn't already as good, if not better on another console or PC thus far. Graphic wise it's obviously a superior experience (for some games), but I like my games to be fun more than just pretty. There are plenty of unhappy people FYI too, when you have to purchase a secondary cooling system for your overheating 360, or it gets moved while running and eats your disc. Or let's not forget random freezes and talk of releasing a 'new' 360 that fixes the original's flaws (how's that early value eh, price drop and better quality coming soon)

Not to mention you pretty much admited there are no A-list titles, and you are waiting for them later in the year. Yeah they came out first, but they've blew what could been an astronomical lead by releasing a system with jack for software. Big whoop. Before it gets asked, I also own a 360, it was a gift - otherwise I could have waited til 'they release their a-list titles'. I also got to return that system for repairs three days after opening the box.

the free pass MS gets here is hilarious.

You are simply uninformed. I own NBA2K6 on multiple systems and it isn't just the graphics that are an improvement on the 360. Many facets of the gameplay were fine tuned and are SUPERIOR to other systems.

Granted, it's just an opinion, but it's one shared by nearly everyone who has played both games. You bash the other games blabbing on and on about PC. . . and really, all I read was blah, blah, blah.

The 360 gets judged on its own merits. I didn't even bring up Ghost Recon, which is an A-List title.

What free pass in MS getting? They had launch issues. As far as some of the crap you've came up with, I'm still kind of laughing to be honest. It scratches your disc if the game system is on and you move it? DAMN, I guess my DVD player sucks because when I pick it up and slide it across tables while it's spinning discs, bad things happen. Golly Gee.

I haven't purchased a cooler for my Xbox and I've never had a problem. I'd guess less than 10% of all Xbox owners have purchased that cooling system, so your assertion that you have to have one for it to work are false.

And while you can debate about the A-List titles, the Xbox has had a series of solid games released on the system. They don't have a system seller yet, but they have a series of games in different genres which are solid and play well.

I'm not and never have been an MS fanboy. Fact is, they nailed this sucker and I can assure you I'll find a ton more people happy with the 360 than those who aren't.

Oh, two last things:

1) MS didn't have to have a series of A list titles right away. Beating Sony to the punch allowed them to not rush any of their top notch titles. A top notch title early actually would do very little for them in terms of their competition with Sony. The beauty for MS is that the series of A-List games will come out right before or cooinciding with the PS3.

2) Say what you want about MS, but they aren't trying to get the machine to replace your PC. They didn't price themselves out of the market and they understand what they are trying to do. The quotes from Sony executives coming out on a daily basis is laugh out loud funny.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #341
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I honestly can't think of a single FPS game better on console than on PC.

Give me a Mouse and a Keyboard anytime.

I agree with Deattribution: You guys give MS too much credit. At release, Sony will have (IMO) more interesting games than anything the 360 has out.

One note here. . . for the most part I agree. For the most part.

I played through Oblivion on both the Xbox360 and a high end computer. The computer had better graphics and looked prettier. I also had 3x the amount of crashes on the computer. In terms of game play, I didn't see a major difference between the two styles. The MS controller feels terrific in your hands and can be played for hours without feeling uncomfortable. I had no issues casting spells, setting up hot keys and running through the menu system with the 360.

Likewise, I played through Call of Duty 2 on both the PC and the 360. I prefered the PC out of habit, but I'd be lying if I said the controller didn't get the job done. It did just fine.

All things being equal, I'll prefer my FPS and RPG's to be on the PC. On the other hand, not everyone can afford a video card which costs over half the price of the 360 to play a video game. I had some video card problems wtih a new computer and had to play some Oblivion with a poor video card and I can tell you it was a horrifying experience. To get the game to play at all the setting had to be dropped and the game looked and played like crap.

I had to puchase a 200 dollar video card to make the game look and play right. I didn't have to purchase a 200 dollar adapter to make it look good on the 360.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #342
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
One note here. . . for the most part I agree. For the most part.

All things being equal, I'll prefer my FPS and RPG's to be on the PC. On the other hand, not everyone can afford a video card which costs over half the price of the 360 to play a video game. I had some video card problems wtih a new computer and had to play some Oblivion with a poor video card and I can tell you it was a horrifying experience. To get the game to play at all the setting had to be dropped and the game looked and played like crap.

I had to puchase a 200 dollar video card to make the game look and play right. I didn't have to purchase a 200 dollar adapter to make it look good on the 360.

No, you don't have to purchase a 200 dollar adapter -- you had to purchase a 400 dollar console. Why not spend half the money on the video card?

Again, either the PS2 plays similiar to superior games (and having played 2k6 on both a 360 and a PS2, the gameplay was better on the PS2, which is the important thing). Spend 129 bucks on a PS2 and 200 on a new video card, and you're still spending LESS than the 360. More than likely you already own a PS2.

Again, I don't get it, personally.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-07-2006 at 12:37 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #343
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No, you don't have to purchase a 200 dollar adapter -- you had to purchase a 400 dollar console. Why not spend half the money on the video card?

Again, either the PS2 plays similiar to superior games (and having played 2k6 on both a 360 and a PS2, the gameplay was better on the PS2, which is the important thing). Spend 129 bucks on a PS2 and 200 on a new video card, and you're still spending LESS than the 360. More than likely you already own a PS2.

Neither do I, but then again all I hear is 'blah blah blah I'm a 360 fanboy'.

The fact he mentions Oblivion on the PC and only mentions the crashes yet fails to mention the literally thousand of mods it has that not only improve the game, but fix gameplay issues tells you who the real uninformed one is.

Slide it across the table? that's hilarious, all you have to do is move it slightly. Some people really have their lips placed firmly.

I could go on... but why bother?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #344
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I bought a 360 about 3 months ago, and it's a neat toy. Not worth the $400 I spent on it (yet), but this year I'll have lots of good things to play on it. The whole Live arcade thing is cool too. The games I'm playing the most right now are Halo 2 and Rainbow Six 3 (for the original xbox but work on my 360). I can't wait til Rainbow Six Vegas and Phantasy Star Universe. The whole private chat in any game thing is a cool option and live aware all the time is neat too (I can see who's online while I watch a movie). Are there enough games out for me to justify the $400 right now? Nope. But by the end of the year I'll have gotten my money's worth out of it...

Then next year rolls around and I play Halo 3 for thousands of hours (like I did with Halo 2) and it's all good
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #345
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
7 There are plenty of unhappy people FYI too, when you have to purchase a secondary cooling system for your overheating 360, or it gets moved while running and eats your disc. Or let's not forget random freezes and talk of releasing a 'new' 360 that fixes the original's flaws (how's that early value eh, price drop and better quality coming soon)

I hate to burst your bubble here, but this is par for the course in electronics manufacturing. One reason why I would never by a brand new game machine, I would rather wait for a newer revision model that fixes those early problems. Thats not to say that a later built machine is any better, but at least you can be confident that they revised the products design to fix problems like that

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #346
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

You are one of the first people I've ever heard state the gameplay of 2K6 is better on the PS2. I think the statement is wacko, but to each his own.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #347
Bee
Pro Starter

Well, I'll probably buy a 360 at some point but right now I don't see any games that interest me enough to buy the system. Most of the people I know with a 360 are either playing Oblivion or one of the Arcade games (Geometry Wars, Zuma, etc). I think with the mods available Oblivion on the PC is much better and I don't have much interest in those Arcade games from what I've seen of them. Once something comes out for the 360 that makes me go "Wow! I want that!", I'll go out and buy one but that hasn't happened yet.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #348
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Neither do I, but then again all I hear is 'blah blah blah I'm a 360 fanboy'.

The fact he mentions Oblivion on the PC and only mentions the crashes yet fails to mention the literally thousand of mods it has that not only improve the game, but fix gameplay issues tells you who the real uninformed one is.

Slide it across the table? that's hilarious, all you have to do is move it slightly. Some people really have their lips placed firmly.

I could go on... but why bother?

Move it slightly? Sure, OK.

As for mentioning Oblivion on the PC and speaking of the mods, I do believe I said multiple times in my post that I prefer the games on the PC. Part of the reason for that is the mods available.

It doesn't make the game itself any WORSE on the 360, it makes the game better on a PC. The gameply was a good experience for me on the 360. It was fun and did everything it was supposed to do.

I own more gaming systems than most. I have a high powered laptop, a high powered desktop, a PS2 and a 360. I'm a geek to the 200th degree and have no issues admitting it. Of all the systems, the one that's most enjoyable for me to play a game of NBA2K6 on the 360.

Lets see how well Sony handles their launch and if their games are a big leap above the 360. Even at the end of the PS2/Xbox days, I thought MS was pulling ahead. The early release of GTA for the PS2, God of War and MLB: The Show still had me playing some PS2 games and are fantastic titles.

In fact I'd say God of War on the PS3 will be the toughest move for me to make. I'm going to hate not playing that game.

At the start of this, I wasn't an MS fanboy. I planned on picking up both the 360 and the PS3 at launch. The PS3 hit the back burner becaus the price was high and the fact I'm satisfied with the 360. If either one of those two conditions were switched, I'd buy the PS3 on opening day. If that makes me an MS fanboy, so be it.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #349
Kodos
Resident Alien

God of War II is coming out on the PS2, not the PS3, I believe.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #350
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are one of the first people I've ever heard state the gameplay of 2K6 is better on the PS2. I think the statement is wacko, but to each his own.

Agreed. I've played both and that is a very odd opinion. I've never bought a cooling accessory and NEVER had an Xbox 360 freeze except due to a known bug in Madden.