Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #301
Anthony
Banned

ICY: for your real teams file you have Rice as "Central TexasRice Owls". maybe you can fix that when you get a chance, i don't have Access on my home PC.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:12 AM   #302
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
ICY: for your real teams file you have Rice as "Central TexasRice Owls". maybe you can fix that when you get a chance, i don't have Access on my home PC.

Weird, that was fixed on the second file i released, somewhat that mistake is back. Will fix it.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:13 AM   #303
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, HA you must have one of the old versions as in the latest one that is fixed. Download it again from http://www.prodeportes.com/bb/pstats1.3.zip
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #304
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
yep

also a lot of plays are not getting recorded on the play by play log.

look at my example above.

Oh man. JB pointing out grammar mistakes. Now that's funny.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #305
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Oh man. JB pointing out grammar mistakes. Now that's funny.

i am not talking about grammar mistakes. i guess you cant read, but you always like taking shots at me.

i am talking that not all plays are getting recorded on play by play log.

look at my plays i posted above and you will see.

i think thats a major bug. at least we still in beta.

Last edited by jbmagic : 11-25-2005 at 11:49 AM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #306
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

jb's getting fired up!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #307
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Someone here doesn't want to read 7 pages worth of discussion, so could someone some up how this game is lookin? I will be downloading it soon, but a nice summary would be nice.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #308
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
Someone here doesn't want to read 7 pages worth of discussion, so could someone some up how this game is lookin? I will be downloading it soon, but a nice summary would be nice.

Solid ... lot of little things need scrubbing; academics is bad, but in the full game you will have the option to turn it off; recruiting is deep and intriguing but messy and complicated.

Pretty much meets or exceeds expectations at this point, imo.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #309
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

So this isn't really a demo, but rather a big beta testing project?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #310
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it's a combo of both. Everyone's been waiting and while it's not totally done, it gives them a feel on how it's going. Icy's on the beta team so he can work on things as they are finishing. You can look at it different ways I guess.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #311
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The main point of the demo is to make sure people can install the game OK before they shell out cash and also make sure people get a 50-foot view on the different features the game will offer. That way, when we do the final release, we should hopefully have fewer issues with people being unable to play the moment they download the game. In fact, for all of you with the demo working, you will simply need to download and install a 15 MB (or so) update with a new EXE and nothing else.

It seems there is a lot of debate on the academics aspect of the game. As an FYI, the beta team is very insistent upon upping injuries and reducing suspensions and I fought it a little bit wanting to make sure the academics option wasn't just a formality. But, based on what I've seen in comments, I will definately be toning the suspensions down and adding an option to remove them alltogether (primarily for use in MP leagues - I would guess).

The rest of the issues are ones that had been reported by the beta team in many cases, but had multiple causes (the FG/XP bug being the main example of this). I had thought we had cleaned most of these out but the volume of playing on the demo helped me find a couple instances I hadn't seen in the beta. In the end, I think this weekend will have really helped the quality of the final product, but also provided you guys with a nice view into the types of options/features that will be part of the final game.

One of the areas that was not enabled for the demo was editing. There will be an in-game player and team editor, as well as a help file for modifying the initial database for those inclined to do so. We also have made it possible to "skin" every screen in the game - with the exception that the font colors on a given screen cannot be changed. Still, for those of you that are adament about the background (which seems about 50-50 on preference), there will be ways for people to modify any screen they wish.

Finally, there are certain design decisions people may not agree with that I've made (recruiting in the offseason, academic suspension method, QB rushing stats,...). One of the things that's hard to do as a developer is to make every person happy while also ending up with a game that's fun and challenging to play. I will certainly try to give options for some of these (ie, turn off suspensions, getting fired, recording playoff stats, allowing players to leave early,...), but this can't be done for everything. So, all I ask is that you give the game a shot and if something is really bothering you, let me know and we will see what we can do for the next version.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #312
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I think beta demos are great ideas. Especially for first-version games.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #313
Anthony
Banned

as long as you make as many aspects of the game editable as possible, i'm on board. i think as a game developer your primary responsibility is to allow me to make the universe *i* want to, and not necessarily handcuff me to the universe *you* want (and i mean "you" as in general terms, not you specifically). that's why OOTP works for me, i can edit as much as i want. other games are a bit more rigid in terms of forcing me to play in the constraints placed upon me by the creator. i like to think outside the box, and i formed a FOF league with some pretty radical ideas, but unfortunately as good as FOF is in providing realistic results it's a bitch to play in any way not intended by the creator.

so make your game as customizable as possible.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #314
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
QB rushing stats,

I've yet to download the demo but am big on realistic stats. What exactly is wrong with the QB rushing stats?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #315
Flasch186
Coordinator

Arles:

Not only has this beta demo been well executed and your communications thereafter an awesome Plus to the experience, I believe that the end product is going to be an incrdible game. I WILL be purchasing the game and appreciate the hard work you have done and the well thought out decisions leading up to the realease date.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #316
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I think beta demos are great ideas. Especially for first-version games.
I agree wholeheartedly. Earlier this week (after having had the preview beta for about a week), I mentioned that very thing to Arlie--that I thought the game was at the point that it could be helped greatly by letting lots of people bang away at it and give opinions on things like academics and injuries. I was very pleased to find out that he had already planned to do just that. While some may be annoyed at playing around with a demo that still has bugs, I think that overall, this will help the game immensely. After all, how many text sims can you name that you were able to get into a serious career before the first patch, anyway? Rather than the ol' "paying to beta test" accusation, in this case, we are choosing (or not choosing) to help tighten up the game before paying one red cent. Given the past history of text sims, I can't imagine why anyone could complain about the way they're going about this.

(Oh, and to answer the above question for me, out of the 20+ text sims I've purchased since the original Mogul, there's only been one text sim *ever* that I didn't have to wait for a patch before getting serious about a career.)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #317
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I've yet to download the demo but am big on realistic stats. What exactly is wrong with the QB rushing stats?

IRL, QB sacks are subtracted from QB rushing stats. Arlie decided not to subtract them from a QB's rushing stats but they are subtracted from the team's rushing stats. Arlie says that this is a better way for people to judge a QB's running ability. Some people disagree because it is not as it is in real life.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #318
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
IRL, QB sacks are subtracted from QB rushing stats. Arlie decided not to subtract them from a QB's rushing stats but they are subtracted from the team's rushing stats. Arlie says that this is a better way for people to judge a QB's running ability. Some people disagree because it is not as it is in real life.
To me, this is analogous to FOF's using "points per visit" stat in the red zone. In the case of both the case of points per visit and BBCF's method of calculating QB rushing stats, are they the way that the stat is tracked in real life? No. Are both *MUCH* better indicators of the success/failure that the real-life stats are supposed to help indicate? Yes.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #319
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That is refreshing to hear. I was expecting something along the lines of all QB's being pocket passers, or every QB being able to put up solid rushing stats.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #320
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Don't know if this has been suggested yet or not, but why not just include both calculations?? Have a stat for QBs showing their rushing yards with sacks figured in and then another one showing them without sacks. Or, just include the yardage lost via the sack in the rushing portion of the stats report so it's readily available to make comparisons.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #321
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Arles:

Not only has this beta demo been well executed and your communications thereafter an awesome Plus to the experience, I believe that the end product is going to be an incrdible game. I WILL be purchasing the game and appreciate the hard work you have done and the well thought out decisions leading up to the realease date.
Exactly my thoughts. Great job Arlie.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #322
st.cronin
General Manager

Has anybody figured out a way, during recruiting, to a) track your weekly budget expenditures? and b) find out which other schools have offered scholarships to recruits you are interested in?

a) I have had to do with pen/paper.
b) I suspect this is a design decision, a fog of war type setting - if this is so, it's a bad idea.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #323
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Ouch. How common is this injury going to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCF
TE Bobbie Kotite is out a couple months with his Testicles (Testicular Cancer). We will do what we can to get him back into action as soon as possible, but we can't make any promises at this point.

[edit]Interesting. I simmed 1 week and he is now cured of cancer. He went from Out 12-14 weeks to OK.

Last edited by TazFTW : 11-25-2005 at 07:00 PM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #324
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Has anybody figured out a way, during recruiting, to a) track your weekly budget expenditures? and b) find out which other schools have offered scholarships to recruits you are interested in?

a) I have had to do with pen/paper.
b) I suspect this is a design decision, a fog of war type setting - if this is so, it's a bad idea.

I agree on these points. Even if we don't know exactly which schools have offered recruits scholarships, it would be nice to get a bit more feedback about where recruits' respective heads are at in their decision-making processes. Maybe this info can be ascertained through a combination of interest levels and your scouting service's feedback, but it would be nice to have this information handy. Adding this info might also provide for a more interesting universe in the sense recruits could tell you they really wanted to play for your school and then turn around and go to your rival instead. These kinds of situations could theoretically give you more of an emotional engagement with the game.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #325
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Ouch. How common is this injury going to be?

[edit]Interesting. I simmed 1 week and he is now cured of cancer. He went from Out 12-14 weeks to OK.

lol...WOW
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #326
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I agree on these points. Even if we don't know exactly which schools have offered recruits scholarships, it would be nice to get a bit more feedback about where recruits' respective heads are at in their decision-making processes. Maybe this info can be ascertained through a combination of interest levels and your scouting service's feedback, but it would be nice to have this information handy. Adding this info might also provide for a more interesting universe in the sense recruits could tell you they really wanted to play for your school and then turn around and go to your rival instead. These kinds of situations could theoretically give you more of an emotional engagement with the game.

well there is that weekly email that comes from the scouting service giving you advice. But yes, it would be nice if it could be a bit more specific. "No Alcorn State, QB Joey Briggs won't sign with you because he's going to play for Michigan. He feels your school is way beneath him."

but maybe i'm spoiled by FM?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

when monitoring recruits in-season, can you actually DO anything? like add them to your watch list or something from the "monitor recruits" screen?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #328
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Aside from being able to see the upcoming recruits and their interest level do I actually need to do ANYTHING at all about recruiting in season? Or do I just look at them?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #329
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm just drooling at the reports and utilities I'll be able to write given that this is an Access database and VS.NET 2005 comes with some sweet tools that make it trivial to read from an Access data source...
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #330
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Ya beat me to it DaddyTorgo , I can't figure it out either.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #331
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Hopefully Arlie will release a non-beta demo, one that runs on my machine at least.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #332
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Incase Arlie reads this, I would really like a way to see what plays we get a bonus and penalty for running in game while I'm calling plays. I figured it would already be in, so I'm pretty much calling plays in the dark on offense for the time being.

My first game is off to an interesting start. I'm playing as Indiana and somehow actually got some good players, mainly a quick RB with great hands(4 carries 21 yards so far) and one of the best QB's in the big ten. If only we had the receivers and line to go with them.....

On the defensive side, we have no lineman worth anything(1.5 current NT!!), average linebackers(4 starters range from 3.5 current to 2.0 current), and a secondary that should be able to shut down ANYONE! A 4.5/5.0 CB and a 4.0/4.5 CB.

So far against Kentucky we lost a fumble that was returned for a TD on our first possession, and then marched the ball down the field 80 yards on 6 plays for a TD. So its 7-7, time to see how this interesting D can do.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #333
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd like to see that too dub. right now it just seems like there's a lot that you're going to have to write down when playing the game. which is no fun. stuff like that, and recruits in-season, stuff like that.

edit: tooth-and-nail right now as #3 Florida against #2 LSU.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #334
AlexB
Pro Starter

FWIW, although I have not downloaded the demo, I think that for a 1st release the input from a board like this is invaluable for the developers, and in the vast majority of cases the points have been raised in a constructive manner.

I'm sure Arles is grateful for the input, and you guys can feel good that you have responded in the right way, and should all pat yourselves on the bakc in the knowledge that you have helped make a game that you will enjoy in the future a better experience for many others.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #335
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The Hoosiers are doing their best to frustrate me. Right now it is 20-14 Kentucky at the half despite the fact that we have 150+ more yards than them right now.

Their 2 TDs were a 56 yard fumble return for a TD, and a big 12 yard drive off a fumble we had on a kickoff return.

We set them up for a 41 yard field goal attempt with a defensive holding and roughing the passer penalty(on 3rd down!). They missed the 41 yarder, but we jumped offsides giving them a 1st down. They ended up getting a field goal later on the drive. The 1 good drive they did have ended with a made 45 yarder.

On our side we've dropped 6 passes in the first half, including what would have been a 60+ yard touchdown when the WR had the corner burned. Both of our scoring drives have been 80 or more yard drives.

This second half better go better for us....
Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #336
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

44-9 Florida over LSU with 7:53 left in the 4th. The suspense is pretty much out of this one, I just hope I get the bump to #1/#2 after this. I want to end a season @ #1 and see how well I can do recruiting then, cuz the season I actually ended at #2 or #3 I did really horrible in recruiting. And that might be a problem somewhat Arles...I'm talking of all the guys i went hard after (and this is as the #2/#3 team in the country, lost in the championship game by 6 points or something)...I got ONE of them. And this was guys with 10 interest in coming to Michigan that I spent max money on through the entire recruiting process...methinks a little tweaking might need to be done.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #337
WVUFAN
College Starter

Online League

Rather than post in a whole new topic, I thought I'd toss this in here -- this was posted in the Grey Dog forum, but I know not everyone looks over there. My apologies for those who may have already read this:

I've always loved the online leagues -- from my first league using FPS Pro to FOF. I've wanted the chance to participate in an actual college league, and since this game is soon to be upon us, I've decided to go ahead and begin the process of creating a league for players of Bowl Bound.

The website is yet to be set up, but if you're interested in participating, go to the newly setup forums HERE and register, talk about what you would like to see in the league and grab up your favorite team! It's my hope to, along with good dedicated players, to make this a fun, enjoyable league for many years to come.

Anyway, please stop by, and again, thanks for this fantastic game. :-)

Eric
www.ncaacfl.org
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #338
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, I've spent several hours on this now, and I'm very impressed. The full version of this game is going to keep me entertained for a LONG time.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #339
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

agreed. but one thing that seems kind of weird to me...the descriptions of "short/medium/long" passing play seem kind of arbitrary. More often than not I've seen short passes on say 3rd and 4 go for 11-12 yards, and medium passes for 30-40 yards. More often then they would if it was simply broken coverage...or maybe there just needs to be more of "and coverage broke down on that play" kinda PBP, because right now as it stands I could make a living just throwing short passes and never having to go to medium/long. Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #340
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
agreed. but one thing that seems kind of weird to me...the descriptions of "short/medium/long" passing play seem kind of arbitrary. More often than not I've seen short passes on say 3rd and 4 go for 11-12 yards, and medium passes for 30-40 yards. More often then they would if it was simply broken coverage...or maybe there just needs to be more of "and coverage broke down on that play" kinda PBP, because right now as it stands I could make a living just throwing short passes and never having to go to medium/long. Anyone else notice this?

Could it be your wide receivers? B/C I just haven't seen my short passes go for more than 12 yards so far, and that was once on a screen and the PBP said my RB broke several tackles. More often than not they have gone for 3-4 yards(or even no gain on screens), and my medium passes go for 7-12 yards. This is with WR's of 2.5 and 1.5 current starting. My RB that broke the screen is a 3.0 current listed as a "3rd down back."
Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #341
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

:SIGH: Touchdown on 3rd down called back for holding. We throw an incomplete pass and miss a field goal. This team is going to be hard to get to win games...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:51 PM   #342
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i am not talking about grammar mistakes.

Uh, yeah you were, but what fucking ever. Apparently means nothing to you.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #343
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Uh, yeah you were, but what fucking ever. Apparently means nothing to you.

This has nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't get involved, but it's Friday night 4am over here so intenet board etiquette is not so important right now.

jbmagic was not talking about a grammar error - he was highlighting the fact that around about a minute of the game logs appeared to go missing from his report.

And the would have been fine if he had have been making a point about grammar - the joke was good, you just chose the one occasion where it was not applicable. Store it up for next time, copy and paste, everyone's a winner.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #344
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone is waiting for an update for how the game ended, I quit it when they scored a late TD, and decided to go for 2. They got a false start and it changed from going for 2 to 1st and goal. 3 plays later they had 6 more points and I decided to quit. I plan on trying again later, but I must say it was very frustrating actually coming back and taking the lead and losing it on that.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #345
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
If anyone is waiting for an update for how the game ended, I quit it when they scored a late TD, and decided to go for 2. They got a false start and it changed from going for 2 to 1st and goal. 3 plays later they had 6 more points and I decided to quit. I plan on trying again later, but I must say it was very frustrating actually coming back and taking the lead and losing it on that.

Whattya mean you quit?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #346
Dutch
"Dutch"

Initial Impressions:

1. The game is very nice looking, but it still will take some time to get used to it. Lots of information, but that may just be initial shock that wears off as you learn the ropes. And yes, I haven't had an epileptic seizure, but the white fonts on the dark screen are tougher than I expected. Not showstopping however.

2. I do like the strong emphasis on linear gameplay. (The left-hand pane) That should keep you focused on what you should be doing when you return to the game after an absence. I understand that folks who play the heck out of the game are not going to care about that, but for casual players, I'll bet it's very useful.

3. Observation - The sim to next week in the initial stages is oddly placed. It should be available on the primary game window, not tucked away on another screen.

4. The Play-by-Play for games is great. I love it! Obviously, the actual wording needs to be refined. I want it to read more like a professional telecast than a color commentator. That may just be me, but it sounds corny when the guy says "The SS charged up and gave the WR Alligator Arms!" I like the detail, but not the emotion, I think I'll end up knowing when to be emotional more than the PBP. A simple, "The SS was looking to make a big hit on that play. The WR looked nervous and may have taken his eye off the ball in anticipation of getting hit by the SS." Then I can scream, "W00T! WR's got Alligator Arms!"

5. The scoring has issues. Here's the box score from the Air Force/Army's first game. (Extra-Points counting for 3 and taking time off the clock.)

6. The QB for Army is named Stallings. This is an obvious typo that needs to be fixed.

That's as far as I've gotten (Game #1). So far, I like the game and think it can be a lot of fun once the bugs are worked out. While I feel much more confident in TCY's box scores I realize that this is BBCF 1.0 (if that) and I am so far very impressed. In order to support the effort, I know I'll be picking up a copy when it's ready for release.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #347
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

he means he quit b/c of the error in the game engine
Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #348
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
he means he quit b/c of the error in the game engine

Ok, I need to go to bed.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #349
dervack
College Prospect

nevermind, I'm done with this...

Last edited by dervack : 11-25-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:42 PM   #350
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Arles...anyway we could get an e-mail inviting us to our bowl game? That'd be nice, especially so we could see what week we are playing in in terms of bowl games. Or is there a list already in-game that I just can't find for the current year?