A - Quantum Leap
S - Alias
T - That 70's Show
E - American Idol
L - Man From U.N.C.L.E.
A - Futurama
N - Friends
D - NYPD Blue

Last edited by jackyl : 11-15-2005 at 10:42 AM.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #302
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Wouldn't 16 be Ellen Degeneres? The question doesn't ask for the identity of Mr. Hands, but "What celebrity's brother?".

Edit - Beaten to the punch by Joe C.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 11-15-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #303
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Unless they've changed the font on Unsolved Mysteries, the e looks a bit too "thin" to fit that logo.

They have changed that font -- the pic posted earlier is in a font I've never seen it in unless my memory is failing me.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #304
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman
They have changed that font -- the pic posted earlier is in a font I've never seen it in unless my memory is failing me.

That's the font I remember... and that's the font on their website, and all over Google.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #305
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Yep, I think it was colored differently, and that's throwing me off. I'm now inclined to go with American Idol this too.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #306
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Games magazine frequently runs contest puzzles that are staggeringly tough. Usually not of the "right answer" variety, but rather ones that allow you to complete some tasks, and achieve a score for your efforts. (Lots of word games, which I generally dislike) If there is this much interest in this, I'd be game for postong one of those here, and we'll see if we can make a decent go of it. Often they don't seem to lend themselves all that well to group efforts, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Howeveer, I'd also step up to defend some of the puzzles that have been created here, both in the enigma framework and otherwise. While not every one is a rare gem (which holds true for any source, of course), I think we have had some very clever and solid puzzles created from scratch from among our membership.

Sorry that I wasn't clear in my awkward statement. I had meant the source being Esquire not something like SA or even those brilliant puzzles we have had here at FOFC.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #307
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Have we gotten them all (except for 15)?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #308
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I believe 19 and 27 are still unanswered.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #309
digamma
Torchbearer

Did we get 46?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #310
Craptacular
College Starter

15 D is Jane Russell, to go with Jules Asner

How the hell did I miss Jules Asner? Must have been the crappy scan.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #311
Craptacular
College Starter

For simplicity's sake, here is the full answer for 15:

1) Ehud Barak - E) Erykah Badu
2) Kid Rock - G) Dick York
3) Jules Asner - D) Jane Russell
4) Paul O'Neill - B) Lou Piniella
5) Blythe Danner - F) Brenda Blethyn
6) Noah Wyle - C) John Elway
7) Scott Weiland - A) Clint Eastwood
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #312
TroyF
Coordinator

#27 is interesting. My first thought was The Amityville Horror, but I think that one went the other way. It went from Non-Fiction to Fiction if memory serves.

Could this be a book involving religion?

This one is stumping me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #313
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
#27 is interesting. My first thought was The Amityville Horror, but I think that one went the other way. It went from Non-Fiction to Fiction if memory serves.

This one is stumping me.

my first thought was Primary Colors, but that was just a misfire in the dark
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #314
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In Cold Blood?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #315
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

This one is stumping me.

Religion was my first thought.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #316
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

nevermind

Last edited by Arctus : 11-15-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #317
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus
the W may be from Hee Haw

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...&postcount=301
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #318
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Richard McCord
http://sunstonepress.com/cgi-bin/boo..._recordnum=318

"The party in the cemetery. The amputation of the bronze foot. The reincarnation of Billy the Kid. The only book ever to make The New York Times best-seller list in both fiction AND non-fiction."
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #319
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

for 19:
all the words on the left, you can replace one letter, then rearrange the letters into a new word:

collar - clamor
kinetic - kitchen
mrs - sum
verge - serve
tennis - listen/enlist/silent

unfortunately, you can do that with at least two on the right (rabbi - rabid, meekly - seemly. maybe more, but I gave up here since that obviously wasn't quite the correct path.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 AM   #320
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman
Richard McCord
http://sunstonepress.com/cgi-bin/boo..._recordnum=318

"The party in the cemetery. The amputation of the bronze foot. The reincarnation of Billy the Kid. The only book ever to make The New York Times best-seller list in both fiction AND non-fiction."

I take this to mean that the story of "the only book ever to make The New York Times best-seller list in both fiction AND non-fiction" is told in this book. I certainly don't think Richard McCord's book has, as it seems to printed only by a small New Mexico press.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #321
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman

I'm not sold on it being either Unsolved Mysteries or American Idol for sure at this point. Doesn't seem like an exact match for either.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:46 AM   #322
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

ok, now im sold on american idol for the "e" the images i was finding weren't really selling me as the structure of the "e" actucally looked a little different, but this video has the lit stage with the backlight effect, so now im positive it is indeed the american idol E.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=american+idol
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #323
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

#27 After dozens of dead-end googles, I finally find the correct answer: Art Spiegelman for the graphic novel Maus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.northern.edu/hastingw/maus.htm
Harvey Blume says of Maus that it is "just about unclassifiable," and Edward Shannon asks: "What is Maus? Biography? Autobiography? History? Prose? Comic? Book? Even as it defies the definition of human beings into preestablished slots, it defies definition of itself." (16) Most critics agree that it crosses genre categories between the novel, comix, autobiography, and biography, as well as bridging a division between high and low culture. The mix of genres raises questions about the classification of the book, but also about the nature of classification itself -- an important issue in terms of its subject matter.
Maus was initially placed on fiction bestseller list of the New York Times but was shifted to the nonfiction list at the artist's request; Spiegelman says

. . . it turns out there was a debate among the editors. The funniest line transmitted back to me was one editor saying, let's ring Spiegelman's doorbell. If a giant mouse answers, we'll put Maus in nonfiction. (Blume)

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 11-16-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #324
QuikSand
lolzcat

Damn... I have even read Maus (even fairly recently) but when I read that question, I had nothing (correct) to go on. Drat!

Good catch.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #325
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

On 19: I haven't gotten any further than adding an a or two to the first syllable of each word, creating a new word. That would make the answer rabbi (arab).

On 46: A shawl is a cape, a torte is a cake. A levy is a toll, height is tall? Or a levy is a tax, to whip someone is to tan them? Or whip is a synonym for cane, continuing the ca_e theme, but there's no synonym for levy that fits.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #326
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
at least one place it will be hosted:
http://www.somethingwithanh.com/fofc/SCAN1262_000.pdf

Re-posting for convenience.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #327
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
On 46: A shawl is a cape, a torte is a cake. A levy is a toll, height is tall? Or a levy is a tax, to whip someone is to tan them? Or whip is a synonym for cane, continuing the ca_e theme, but there's no synonym for levy that fits.

The most promising to me seems to be "tall" on the grounds you mention. Thsi one really bothers me, sicne with a contst like this, you really want to feel pretty certain that you have the right answer... and while cape/cake:toll/tall sounds pretty good to me, it isn't a slam dunk in my mind.

We might get to the point where we have three or four different shaky answers -- maybe we each submit a variant of the possible set? If we have four answers where we could go two different ways, it's not ridiculous to think that 16 of us each send in a set of answers, with "FOFC" or some variant listed as the group who solved it... just to increase our chances.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #328
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
for 19:
all the words on the left, you can replace one letter, then rearrange the letters into a new word:

collar - clamor
kinetic - kitchen
mrs - sum
verge - serve
tennis - listen/enlist/silent

unfortunately, you can do that with at least two on the right (rabbi - rabid, meekly - seemly. maybe more, but I gave up here since that obviously wasn't quite the correct path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
On 19: I haven't gotten any further than adding an a or two to the first syllable of each word, creating a new word. That would make the answer rabbi (arab).

Both more productive than anything I've got there, which is jack squat nada.

The use of "Mrs." is just so odd there... it really is puzzling.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #329
Segalovitch
n00b

got your answers

hey - like you all, been trying to figure out the quiz, and I ran across your site. I have the two answers you guys need. If you choose to use this info, great. If not, then don't. Mouse over and highlight the following:

19. whisk (D). All the words are either one or two syllables of state names (collar = Colorado, Mrs. = Mississippi, verge = Virginia, etc.) so whisk = Wisconsin
46. height (C). If you switch the first consonant sounds of the pair, the two words become antonyms. 'Shawl' and 'torte' = 'tall' and 'short'. Likewise, 'levy' and 'height' become 'heavy' and 'light'.
Segalovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #330
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segalovitch
hey - like you all, been trying to figure out the quiz, and I ran across your site. I have the two answers you guys need. If you choose to use this info, great. If not, then don't. Mouse over and highlight the following:

thanks!
I don't think I would have ever come up with #19.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #331
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segalovitch

19. whisk (D). All the words are either one or two syllables of state names (collar = Colorado, Mrs. = Mississippi, verge = Virginia, etc.) so whisk = Wisconsin
46. height (C). If you switch the first consonant sounds of the pair, the two words become antonyms. 'Shawl' and 'torte' = 'tall' and 'short'. Likewise, 'levy' and 'height' become 'heavy' and 'light'.

Welcome and thanks!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #332
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Damn... I have even read Maus (even fairly recently) but when I read that question, I had nothing (correct) to go on. Drat!

Good catch.

yeah, same here. sitting on my shelf about 10 feet behind my head.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #333
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

wait... so are we done here? Perhaps just compile all the answers post them, and give everything a thorough once-over before finalizing things?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #334
nake1055
n00b

In Cold Blood or Maus?

In Cold Blood still seems possible, does it not? I seem to recall that NPR noted this a few weeks back... If not Maus is the ringer.
nake1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 AM   #335
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nake1055
In Cold Blood still seems possible, does it not? I seem to recall that NPR noted this a few weeks back... If not Maus is the ringer.
At the very least we've got to be careful here. This article seems to indicate Maus II (the second volume) was the book in question. I don't know how thorough our answer needs to be.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs

edit: some more "Maus 2" backing, although this seems to basically be blog http://www.metaforix.com/archives/mail_01_04_17.html

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-17-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #336
nake1055
n00b

One more thing...

Maus was published in two different volumes several years apart. Volume I and Volume II. Which would you pick?
nake1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:19 AM   #337
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I believe the question called for the author.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:21 AM   #338
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
I believe the question called for the author.

you are correct. makes things a lot easier.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #339
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Copied from my reply on page 6 plus the answers since then (in bold). Correct away (also added the Ellen and Hedy corrections).

1. Anne Rice
2. Sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch
3. mind your business
4. Hop on Pop
5. 60. Euler's Formula says that with a simply connected polyhedron, the sum of the vertices and the faces is always the number of edges plus two (F - E + V = 2).
6. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
7. Monty Python
8. Skim Milk
9. Jackie Robinson
10 b (Canada). Each country on the list has a red and white flag.
11. Gilligan's Island (The Minnow was named after Newton Minnow)
12. Jerry Garcia
13. Bill Robinson
14. Raft
15. 1 E
2 G
3 D
4 B
5 F
6 C
7 A
16. Ellen DeGeneres
17. William Ewart Gladstone
18. Sharp
19. d) whisk
20. 25
21. Russia
22. Theremin
23. Hedy Lamarr
24. gladiolus
25. NE Flanders St
26. Romeo
27. Art Spiegelman
28. The Ohio Express
29. Cincinnati Reds (changed name to Redlegs for 5-6 years in the 50's)
30. The Ace. The cards are in alphabetical order, but the ace needs to be moved to the front.
31. W - Hee Haw
A - Quantum Leap
S - Alias
T - That 70's Show
E - American Idol
L - Man From U.N.C.L.E.
A - Futurama
N - Friends
D - NYPD Blue
32. Harp
33. Wally Cox
34. Sissy Spacek
35. Sonic the Hedgehog
36. Peter Weir
37. 55
38. Ogden Nash
39. Vatican City
40. Nestle
41. Pennsylvania
42. Joe Frazier sang the National Anthem that night.
43. d) shout
44. a) Pierce
45. a) Peru
46. c) height
47. b) Mars Attacks
48. d) song
49. C. Jolt
50. ABC FGHI KL P

Last edited by TazFTW : 11-17-2005 at 12:32 AM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #340
hns2713
n00b

#14...why Raft?

just found this forum and was wondering why Raft is the answer to number 14? I had Rush because Kennedy, Harrison, Clinton, and Taft are all cities in the US but there is no "Bush City" but there is a "Rush city" and no other letter can replace the B in Bush to form a name of a city in the US....so if anyone can tell me what was the rationale behind Raft as the answer here that would be great.
hns2713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #341
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hns2713
just found this forum and was wondering why Raft is the answer to number 14? I had Rush because Kennedy, Harrison, Clinton, and Taft are all cities in the US but there is no "Bush City" but there is a "Rush city" and no other letter can replace the B in Bush to form a name of a city in the US....so if anyone can tell me what was the rationale behind Raft as the answer here that would be great.

all those guys (kennedy, clinton, raft, bush, harrison) are famous Georges.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #342
Shanonovic
n00b

new here - - regarding question #14 - - -could it not be possible that the answer is "Rush" ? - - all of the others are colleges, change Bush to Rush, it fits - - - although famous Georges is also possible....hmmmmm
Shanonovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #343
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm still not sold on any of the answers to #14... every other question in the quiz has had an "a ha" answer that you knew was right as soon as you found it, none of these really seem to grab me that way.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #344
QuikSand
lolzcat

Perhaps George Raft isn't as famous as we'd like him to be? Or are we just having generational issues? Beats me.

I'm open to offering this as a question where we team up and submit multiple answers... but I don't find "Rush City" anywhere near as compelling as George Raft. The list of "cities in the US" just seems so open-ended as to be a relatively useless category from which to draw a specific question like this.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #345
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm open to offering this as a question where we team up and submit multiple answers... but I don't find "Rush City" anywhere near as compelling as George Raft. The list of "cities in the US" just seems so open-ended as to be a relatively useless category from which to draw a specific question like this.
See, that's where I have trouble with the "famous" answer. Cities may be open-ended (and I agree that's not the answer) but at least it's definitive. "Famous people" is so subjective that I just can't see it being a criteria in a quiz as well-crafted as this one.

Now, if there's something more concrete that links those famous people, it could still be the right answer. I'd just feel better if the link was "people who've been nominated for award xyz and lost" or "actors who share a birthday" rather than just "people you've heard of".
Old 11-25-2005, 10:13 AM   #346
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
See, that's where I have trouble with the "famous" answer. Cities may be open-ended (and I agree that's not the answer) but at least it's definitive. "Famous people" is so subjective that I just can't see it being a criteria in a quiz as well-crafted as this one.

Now, if there's something more concrete that links those famous people, it could still be the right answer. I'd just feel better if the link was "people who've been nominated for award xyz and lost" or "actors who share a birthday" rather than just "people you've heard of".

I feel your pain... but once you link these people with celebrities who share the first name, it's certainly going to be tough to add yet another qualifier there (all actors, all award winners, whatever). Sems to me the novelty of the question lies in the ovvious appearance of a presidential connection -- when, in fact, that's pretty much a coincidence.

From the shoes of a puzzle-writer, this question makes sense to me. You notice how strange it is that several presidents share a last name with people named George -- maybe you first think of George Harrison and George Clinton, and it goes from there. Eventually, the Taft/Raft thing becomes the way to make it into a "one of these things is not like the other" style of puzzle.

I buy it... but again, I'm still open to another compelling answer.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #347
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I suppose. It goes without saying that I don't have anything better to offer.

(Although this still bugs me: if you have presidents on one side, and famous Georges on the other, isn't it somewhat cheap that one of your famous Georges is also a president?)

Interesting side note -- not sure if anyone else has tried this, but I tried to google for the quiz answers. I figured someone else must have come up with a list and posted it somewhere. It turns out the top five results are the Esquire site, the site of the folks who made the quiz for them, two blogs (which don't list answers) and... us.

So my guess is anyone who ends up googling over the weekend to try to fill in their missing answers before the deadline will wind up here. Hi everyone!

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-25-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #348
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm still thinking that even if we collectively conclude that we have this thing beaten... I might still send in an entry that doesn't use Russia for question 21, and instead uses a more comventional answer (from among the list we considered before finding the separated part of Russia).
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #349
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My other problem with the Georege question is that if you're going to link "president names" and "famous Georges", why not use Adams (George Adams is a jazz musician who's arguably at least as famous as George Raft)? And wouldn't you even have to include Jefferson as well?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-25-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #350
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
My other problem with the Georege question is that if you're going to link "president names" and "famous Georges", why not use Adams (George Adams is a jazz musician who's arguably at least as famous as George Raft)? And wouldn't you even have to include Jefferson as well?

Fair points. Both would make more sense to me than including George Bush, which is an obvious copout to me (agreed with you there).

I got nothing better, though. It's not like finding a list of famous people with the same first name is really all that easy, though -- if George isn't the key, then it's a crazy coincidence there. You can't even come close even with far more common first names.