Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #301
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The Marlins have tentatively agreed on a deal to send Juan Pierre to the Cubs for pitchers Sergio Mitre, Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.
Not a bad deal for the Cubs. Mitre wasn't in the team's plans for 2006, and Pinto's stock has fallen quite a bit. Nolasco is the pitcher here they're most likely to regret parting with, though he's probably not ready yet. Mitre should move right into Florida's rotation. Pierre will likely start in center field and bat leadoff for the Cubs. The team still could go after Milton Bradley to play right field. Dec. 7 - 3:31 am et

Yeah, read this this morning. This will be a good move for the Cubs if it works, although the word is Florida has not agreed yet. Several were after Pierre, so the Marlins are rumored to be passing this trade around to see if anyone can do better. Nolasco's one of the better pitching prospects for the Cubs so hopefully Pierre returns to form from a couple years ago. At the very least, he'll add some much needed speed.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #302
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd like Pierre better if (a) he hit for average (meaning, essentially, that he gets his OBP up to a respecable leadoff number); and (b) he became more efficient at stealing bases. His speed is great in the OF and going 1st-to-3rd or home, but if the Cubs think they're getting a major base stealing threat, they haven't looked at his success rate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #303
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I'd like Pierre better if (a) he hit for average (meaning, essentially, that he gets his OBP up to a respecable leadoff number); and (b) he became more efficient at stealing bases. His speed is great in the OF and going 1st-to-3rd or home, but if the Cubs think they're getting a major base stealing threat, they haven't looked at his success rate.

Agreed, although his 2004 OBP was solid - much better than anything the Cubs have had at the top since the half season of Lofton. Again, I think it's one of those improvement things. Yes, there are better options out there. And no, Pierre's not perfect. But compared to what the Cubs have, this will be a big improvement in a critical area.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #304
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Agreed, although his 2004 OBP was solid

...when he hit .326. It's pretty simple - Pierre must hit .320+ to be a truly effective leadoff man. He's consistently had an OBP about 50 points higher than his BA, so if he doesn't hit.320, his OBP is not going to touch .370.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #305
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
John Olerud retired.....
Wow, that makes me feel old. I remember saving up to buy a box of Don Russ card packs in 1989 or so because they had his rookie card and he was going to be the next great hitter.

(I did get one... probably still have it.)
Old 12-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #306
Ksyrup

Not sure where this comes from, but this guy isn't exactly thrilled with Pierre:

Juan Pierre Traded To Cubs

Well, it's official - Juan Pierre will be playing center field for the Cubs in 2006. I reported this deal as done back on November 23rd, and I rightfully caught plenty of flak for it. So I immediately dialed up Jim Hendry's personal line and demanded that he deal two of five possible pitchers for Pierre so that I wouldn't look bad. Hendry complied, threw in Sergio Mitre, and here we are. (I'm kidding, obviously).

I'll discuss Sergio Mitre, Ricky Nolasco, and Renyel Pinto in a separate post. For now, I want to take a closer look at Juan Pierre and what he "brings to the table." Cubs fans seem thrilled with this acquisition, so I asked myself, "What exactly does Juan Pierre do well?"

Getting on base

Pierre boasts a .355 career OBP. In 2005, the average NL CF got on base at a .340 clip. So Pierre is a tick above average in that department despite all of the cool drag bunts and slap infield hits. Available CFs who got on base more frequently than 35% of the time last year include Jason Michaels, Kenny Lofton, and Johnny Damon. Brad Wilkerson can be expected to top .355 in 2006, and Milton Bradley will probably come close.

Baserunning and stealing

Well, once Pierre does get on, he's a terror on the basepaths. Right? In 2005, Pierre was excellent at going from first to third, succeeding 43% of the time (surprisingly, that compares well to the rest of the league). On the other hand, he only succeeded going from second to home 38% of the time, which is a poor mark. It's a small sample (21 attempts), but Chris Speier might want to consider throwing up the stop sign occasionally when Pierre comes his way.

Oh, but let's not forget the steals. Man, does this guy steal bases. He's averaged 52 steals in his five full seasons. Still, Pierre's career success rate at stealing is just 74%. According to Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus,

"If you're stealing at less than a 75% success rate, you're better off never going at all."

Hmmm. So you're telling me Baker should never attempt a single stolen base with Pierre? Something tells me that's not going to happen.

Defense

Ah, but with his blazing speed, Pierre surely is among the game's top defenders. Er, not so much. Ever heard of Bill James's Range Factor? It's calculated by adding up putouts and assists, multiplying by nine, and dividing by the number of defensive innings played. Here's how some regular CFs ranked in 2005 in Range Factor.

Rank Player Range Factor
1 Jeremy Reed 3.05
2 Damon Hollins 2.95
3 Nook Logan 2.93
4 Johnny Damon 2.93
5 Brady Clark 2.85
6 Brad Wilkerson 2.84
11 Milton Bradley 2.68
15 Kenny Lofton 2.53
26 Preston Wilson 2.27
27 Corey Patterson 2.23
28 Juan Pierre 2.21

There's our man, dead last in the game, well behind several freely available CFs. I could dig up some more defensive metrics to say the same thing; I won't bore you with those here. He's not a good fielder.

Power

C'mon now, it's Juan Pierre. He's got less power than Neifi Perez.

Durability

Oh, that's it. Juan Pierre shows up to work every day, doesn't get hurt. I guess that's worth something. It kind of reminds me of the blowoff classes I had in college where the teacher would make Attendance 10% of your grade.

Conclusion

Am I missing something? Juan Pierre is basically a more expensive Scott Podsednik without the defense. He should probably be a fourth outfielder on most teams. Color me unimpressed by this trade.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #307
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Cubs Fan
Color me unimpressed by this trade.

Who knows, maybe this guy's right. But as far as I'm concerned, something needed to be done to address the Cubs' needs, and this is a positive step. The only step needed? The greatest possible step? No, of course not. But it's a step.

Some guys just like to feel miserable. Some guys just like to scream the sky is falling for various sports teams, criticize all their moves, and then act like it never happened if things turn out differently. I call it the IMTG syndrome. That may or may not be the case with this guy.

Or, it's possible he just needed to write something. And negativity often elicits a greater reader response than optimism.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #308
vtbub
College Starter

They stole him from Florida. That fan is off his rocker.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ajc.com reporting that the Braves have sent Johnny Estrada to Arizona for a pair of young relief pitchers Lance Cormier (7-3, 5.11 ERA) and Oscar Villarreal (2-0, 5.47 )
Old 12-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #310
Terps
College Prospect

Fox Sports is reporting the O's are close to signing Ramon Hernandez.

Hopefully they can trade Javy if they do sign him.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #311
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is kinda funny:

"Casey, known as "The Mayor" in Cincinnati because of his outgoing personality and work in the community, had his jersey number retired by Upper St. Clair High School in suburban Pittsburgh several years ago. Williams' number was retired by the Pirates' Class A Williamsport farm club."

I had no clue minor league teams retired numbers.

Apparently Casey is from the Pittsburgh area, so maybe they're going to try to keep him long-term?

I think Pittsburgh is hoping that Casey will take less money to play there than he would have in Cincinnati. I also read that the Reds are going to have to pay some of the 8.5 mil that Casey is going to earn this year.

I also saw this on a Reds message board this morning.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2005&fext=.jsp

• Though other teams say Brad Lidge is available, a Houston official scoffed at the notion that the Astros would trade their All-Star closer. The Astros have had discussions with Cincinnati. The Reds are looking for pitching, with reliever Chad Qualls and Minor League pitcher Fernando Nieve as targets, but Houston wants Adam Dunn and the Reds won't make that trade. Should Houston decide to take Austin Kearns instead, talks might pick up again. ...
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #312
Ksyrup

Reds are paying $2M of Casey's salary.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #313
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals Rumors (post on SGS)

The Royals traded spare parts reliever Jonah Bayliss to the Pirates for career journeyman Mark Redman. Oh, and there’s one other concrete move, the Royals can’t even keep their players in the US as DJ Carassco was allowed to go play in Japan. But that’s just half the fun. The Royals are in on a half dozen deals, if rumors are to be believed, and never should be.

I spent the better half of last night, after seeing Peter Gammons had reported a deal in his Buzz section, checking KC Royals, NY Mets, and MLB sources looking for any shred of proof. Of course, there is lots of hearsay and conjecture and those are “kinds of proof”, according to Lionel Hutz. Initially the deal was Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal for Kris Benson- New York cheered and Kansas City sulked. Then it came out that it was Affeldt and another prospect for Benson, liked by KC but hated by all in NY except those who just wanted Benson gone. Later on in the night, it morphed into Affeldt and Mac for Benson and Victor Diaz and NY fans howled.

The Royals are supposedly still on the Mike Sweeney to Los Angeles hunt, a deal that’s been around since they where the Anaheim, no, California Angels. Well, the LA Times reported it again yesterday with Royals GM Allard Baird proposing Sweeney to the Angels for 1B Casey Kotchman and SS Brandon Wood and the Angels, guffawing into the reciever before saying no. Ok, not quite in those words, but you get the idea. Except Baird says he’s had no contact with the Angels about a Sweeney trade this offseason. Whoops.

Then there’s Angel Berroa to the Braves for Ryan Langhans or Kelly Johnson. Except the Braves are also looking at Lugo on the Rays and Renteria on the Red Sox. Heck, there was even a three team deal that sent Lugo to the Red Sox and Renteria to the Braves floating around last night which has vanished overnight.

After the last couple of trade deadlines, I should have known better. I do know better. I was even telling people I knew better but I wanted to believe anyways. It’s simple: Peter Gammons is nothing more than a negotiating tool these days. His two “emminent” deals from last night have evaporated (Affedt/Mac for Benson and the three team trade to send Renteria to the Braves). Teams feed him info to get quick feedback and negotiate in the press but he’s rarely correct with his predictions.

Frankly, the Royals deal he reported made absolutely no sense. The Royals have said they are opening their pocketbooks so no salary was coming back to hose them talentwise. Why give up two of their few bargaining chips for a slightly overpaid (wow, how times have changed) starting pitcher? Gammons, yet again, just goes to show that he’s getting senile and just has no idea what he’s doing outside of mabye Boston.

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #314
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow. Juan Pierre should be a 4th outfielder on most teams? Really?

And I always thought the magic number (when it came to stealing bases) was 70%, not 75%.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #315
Ksyrup

But it's fun for those of us reading about it. Who cares what teams think of Gammons?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #316
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, except that it's horribly inaccurate. I can start rumors that are better than what he comes up with.

SI

Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #317
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, except that it's horribly inaccurate. I can start rumors that are better than what he comes up with.

SI

I think GMs tell him crazy rumors and then go laugh to each other when he reports them. He's like the geek that just wants to be included.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #318
Ksyrup

I have no doubt that teams use the media for several reasons - to gauge fan/media/other teams' reactions to a possible move; to scare a FA into thinking a team is going to make a move; to scare a rival GM the same way. It's all part of the fun of figuring out who's going to end up where. I have no doubt I'm being used. Doesn't mean I don't get personal enjoyment out of the process.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #319
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

True, I've spent the last 24 hours watching rumors and such fly but it's quite aggravating when nothing comes of it. That said, nothing is better than a bad deal.

SI

Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #320
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
True, I've spent the last 24 hours watching rumors and such fly but it's quite aggravating when nothing comes of it. That said, nothing is better than a bad deal.

SI

In Boston you get guys from different papers reporting the opposite on the same story. Nobody knows what's going on really.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #321
Ksyrup

ESPN's Peter Gammons says the Rays are out of the three-way Edgar Renteria trade talks at the moment.
As Ken Rosenthal said last night, the Rays don't think Andy Marte is sufficient for Julio Lugo. It's unclear whether Boston will take Marte for Renteria when the Braves would likely want some cash to cover a portion of what Renteria is owed. Gammons said that talks could resume. The Boston Globe's Gordon Edes just reported that the negotiations were active again this afternoon. Dec. 7 - 3:26 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #322
Ksyrup

Devil Rays acquired third baseman Sean Burroughs from the Padres for RHP Dewon Brazelton.
It's well worth a try. Burroughs moves to the top of the depth chart at third base for the Rays, and he'd probably still be the top candidate to start at the beginning of the year if Andy Marte is acquired. Burroughs is just 25, and he'll be good for more doubles, if not homers, now that he's out of San Diego. He could hit .300 and turn into a top-of-the-order threat for Tampa Bay. Dec. 7 - 2:23 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #323
Ksyrup

As part of his contract with the Jays, A.J. Burnett received a partial no-trade clause that would allow him to block a deal to 15 teams each year.
Also, the opt-out clause has been confirmed. Burnett can depart after 2008, when he'll have earned $31 million over three years, should he think he can get a better deal. Dec. 7 - 12:59 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #324
Ksyrup

Although agent Scott Boras said he had an offer of $70 million over five years from another team, he characterized negotiations with Boston as "good."
Damon, who had yet to make it to the winter meetings, didn't sound as pleased with how negotiations were proceeding in a phone interview with Newsday. "They've got to step up, and really quick ... They've dragged their feet long enough," Damon said. How far do the Red Sox have to step up if they're not competing with anyone? The Yankees haven't made a bid, and the Tigers supposedly aren't in it. The Dodgers might be. The Red Sox aren't going to $70 million, so if it's out there, he can go ahead and take it. Damon thinks he'll make a decision within "10 days to two weeks." Dec. 7 - 11:00 am et

From what I heard about this, no one has been able to confirm that any such offer exists.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #325
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251206

Quote:
Braves trade Estrada for two Diamondback pitchers
Associated Press

DALLAS -- The Atlanta Braves traded All-Star catcher Johnny Estrada to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday for right-handed relievers Lance Cormier and Oscar Villarreal.

The 29-year-old Estrada, acquired in December 2002 from Philadelphia for pitcher Kevin Millwood, hit .261 last season with four home runs and 39 RBI. He made the NL All-Star team in 2004, when he batted .314 with nine homers and 76 RBI.

The Braves appear likely to start Brian McCann behind the plate next year.

Cormier was 7-3 with a 5.11 ERA in 67 relief appearances last season, and Villarreal went 2-0 with a 5.27 ERA in 11 relief appearances. Cormier is 25 and Villarreal is 24.

What's the deal with Vallarreal? I see in his rookie year he pitched with a 2.57 ERA. In the two years since he's only pitched ~30 innings.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #326
Terps
College Prospect

Villarreal missed most of the last two seasons with injuries.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #327
Ksyrup

I haven't seen it in writing anywhere, but a reporter from Newsweek (I think) was on the Dan Patrick Show this afternoon and said that the Yankees offered Wang and Cano (their supposed "untouchables") to the Marlins for Cabrera and Willis. That must have been a fun conversation to listen in on. I bet Georgie called Cashman and demanded that he make the offer, since the Marlins are trading everyone else. Maybe someone actually thought the Marlins would consider it a good deal since the Yankees haven't been willing to consider either Wang or Cano in a deal to this point.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #328
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't seen it in writing anywhere, but a reporter from Newsweek (I think) was on the Dan Patrick Show this afternoon and said that the Yankees offered Wang and Cano (their supposed "untouchables") to the Marlins for Cabrera and Willis. That must have been a fun conversation to listen in on. I bet Georgie called Cashman and demanded that he make the offer, since the Marlins are trading everyone else. Maybe someone actually thought the Marlins would consider it a good deal since the Yankees haven't been willing to consider either Wang or Cano in a deal to this point.
I've seen that a couple of other places. This is what a Fishy fan'd friend of mine said on AIM about it yesterday:
[12.06.2005:14:34] XXXXX: The Marlins offered Pierre for Cano and Wang. The Yanks countered with Cano and Wang for Willis. The Marlins aaid no. So the writers takes that as it wasnt enough buit anyone is available.
[12.06.2005:14:34] XXXXX: this turns into an article saying
[12.06.2005:14:34] XXXXX: "willis and cabrera are available"

SI

Old 12-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #329
Ksyrup

Or maybe the Yankees thought the Cano/Wang for Pierre offer Florida made was so ludicrous, that they countered with Cano/Wang for Cabrera/Willis as a "don't waste our time with shit offers, please" message.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-07-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #330
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or maybe the Yankees thought the Cano/Wang for Pierre offer Florida made was so ludicrous, that they countered with Cano/Wang for Cabrera/Willis as a "don't waste our time with shit offers, please" message.

I wouldnt trade Cano or Wang at this point. Not unless they brought back a star player(or two). Pierre certainly isnt worth both.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #331
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

OTOH, both for Willis would be a great deal for NYY and throwing Cabrera in as well is just ridiculous.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #332
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We should have heard about Hoffman by now (it has to be today). Those in the Padres fandom are very nervous but torn. We would like to keep him (obviously) but not at an over-inflated 3-yr contract.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #333
Buccaneer
Head Coach

By the way, Astros did not offer arbitration to Clemens.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #334
Vince
Pro Starter

Giants reportedly sign Mark Sweeney to a 2-year, $1.8M deal.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #335
Vince
Pro Starter

And in other news, no one cares
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #336
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Giants reportedly sign Mark Sweeney to a 2-year, $1.8M deal.

There are some Pads fans thinking this would hurt more than losing Hoffman and Ramon. Sweeney was great off the bench and seems to be worth what little money he wanted.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #337
Buccaneer
Head Coach

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #338
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No love for Mark, Bucc?

EDIT: Oh, I see Hoffman signed

Good news for you guys. I'm really wishing your franchise well after meeting a couple of people when we were there this summer. Seem very classy.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-07-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #339
dervack
College Prospect

I really don't know if I like the Pierre move. I'm glad, because the Cubs needed a leadoff man, but at the same time, unless he does hit .320, I don't think he's worth the top Pitching Prospect that's healthy in the Orginization. I'm happy they aren't going after Damon and the "5 years, 70" deal that Boras said he has on the table. I think Boras is trying to pull the wool over another owner like he did to Hicks in Texas. I still want them to get something for Patterson, but me being the optimistic Cubs fan, maybe plug Patterson 6th in the lineup and put him in right? After Kearns performance last year, would the Cubs be worse off with Patterson in right than someone like Kearns?

Last edited by dervack : 12-07-2005 at 06:21 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #340
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sometimes it's just the intangibles that makes it worthwhile. Not only did the Pads get a good deal on Hoffy's contract (i.e., San Diego Discount) but he puts fannies in the seats and is an icon. His on-field performance becomes nearly secondary here on out knowing that he will be a part of the team and the community in the same way Tony had been (and still is to some extent).
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #341
Ksyrup

He'll always be a Marlin to me.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #342
Ksyrup

Dan Kolb back to the Brewers for a 6-pack of Schlitz.

Er, Wes Obermueller.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #343
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I did this with Hell Atlantic in the RWBL. He accepted so I posted it, then he all let us in on the "secret" that he as being sarcastic. Sometimes its hard to tell with some people.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #344
Bad-example
College Starter

This was buried in a SF Chronicle article about Frank Thomas and the A's:

Colletti admitted he has been difficult to reach. He said the Giants, his employers until he joined the Dodgers last month, turned off his cell phone early Tuesday. He missed all his calls, he said with a smile, until he got the Giants to turn it back on.

The Dodgers got a new manager, Grady Little. Maybe now they ought to buy their GM a new phone.

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #345
Ksyrup

The Brewers and Blue Jays are continuing to work on a Lyle Overbay deal, with the Blue Jays offering Shea Hillenbrand and a young pitcher.
David Bush, David Purcey and Zach Jackson are mentioned as possibilities. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also says that the Brewers would likely get Hillenbrand in order to trade him, possibly to Minnesota. Dec. 7 - 8:48 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #346
Ksyrup

The Brewers will non-tender Danny Kolb on Dec. 20 and then likely re-sign him at a lesser salary.
We thought it might be something like this, though it still doesn't really explain why they traded for him in the first place. In arbitration, the Brewers would have to pay Kolb at least $2.72 million next season. They'll probably work something out that would cut his salary back to $1 million or so. Dec. 7 - 8:46 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #347
Ksyrup

Mark Grudzielanek won't return to the Cardinals, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
The Cardinals continue to look pretty cheap. According to the report, they weren't interested in exceeding $2 million in a one-year deal for Grudzielanek. The Mets remain the favorites for Grudzy. The Red Sox might see him as an option at shortstop if they trade Edgar Renteria for Andy Marte. Dec. 7 - 8:37 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #348
Ksyrup

Todd Jones will return to the Tigers on a two-year deal, according to the Detroit News.
The Tigers have absolutely no faith that Troy Percival will make it back, so Jones is probably going to be the team's closer, with Fernando Rodney occupying a setup role. No financial details yet, but the deal will probably be worth at least $8 million-$10 million. Dec. 7 - 6:18 pm et
Old 12-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #349
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Sometimes it's just the intangibles that makes it worthwhile. Not only did the Pads get a good deal on Hoffy's contract (i.e., San Diego Discount) but he puts fannies in the seats and is an icon. His on-field performance becomes nearly secondary here on out knowing that he will be a part of the team and the community in the same way Tony had been (and still is to some extent).

The 'fannies in the seats' thing is a fallacy. Winning puts fannies in the seats. The occassional truly special position player helps out a little. But closers don't.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #350
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
The 'fannies in the seats' thing is a fallacy. Winning puts fannies in the seats. The occassional truly special position player helps out a little. But closers don't.
Maybe they really like AC\DC in San Diego.

Last edited by dervack : 12-07-2005 at 08:02 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote