Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #301
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I must have missed something in this thread. What's this about core systems being available and premium systems not? What Circuit City sale? What did I miss?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #302
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I must have missed something in this thread. What's this about core systems being available and premium systems not? What Circuit City sale? What did I miss?

Not sure about the former, but I know Circuit City was taking online preorders for folks to be able to walk into the store on the 22nd and pick their systems up.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #303
Raiders Army
Coordinator

How anyone was able to order one is beyond me.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #304
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
How anyone was able to order one is beyond me.

I was able to finally get one online but it was not until about 4:15pm. The site kept going up and down. I got to the enter shipping address screen about 10 times. Hell, I got a confirmation so I think I am OK. Someone earlier stated it was a pre-sale for store pickup. That's not the case, they are shipping them on Nov. 21.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 PM   #305
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i refuse to camp out on line for anything. this is artificially creating demand on MS' part, no need to decrease the supply just to get people in a tizzy.

You mean like launching in 3 different places within a month, something that no console make has ever even tried?

Anyway. Am I the only one who remebers that Sony only had 600,000 PS2's available on launch day, and Microsoft will have double that in NA on the 22nd?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #306
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
You mean like launching in 3 different places within a month, something that no console make has ever even tried?

Anyway. Am I the only one who remebers that Sony only had 600,000 PS2's available on launch day, and Microsoft will have double that in NA on the 22nd?

they actually decreased the amount of units they originally planned on having available, just to create this artificial demand.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 AM   #307
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
they actually decreased the amount of units they originally planned on having available, just to create this artificial demand.

Bullshit.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 AM   #308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing this is more along the line that they bit off more than they could chew.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 AM   #309
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Bullshit.

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Last edited by Anthony : 11-19-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #310
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I wouldn't term the demand artificial.

I do think they deliberately cut allocations.

I don't think it was necessary.

That said...PS3 will likely not see US shores before October, and Revolution will probably land around the same time period, so I don't see this hurting Microsoft any more than the PS2 shortfall hurt Sony five years ago.

That said, I don't think this move will create any additional buzz for Microsoft that wasn't already there. They probably aren't going to do the long-term business in the next generation that Sony did in this generation. Not unless the shortfall turns into the sort of early-adopter proselytization they're going for.

Sony knew they could ship 500k units and still do gangbusters business over the life of the console. Microsoft is aiming for that, but they don't have the brand assurance that Sony did. Not yet.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #311
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Funny how life is... I'm waiting on the 360 now. Too many low scoring reviews and someone I know has a system and said Madden is visually stunning, but after that, he's back to his Xbox version.

No doubt COD 2 is going to be great on the 360, but I'll get it for $30 on the PC and I'll wait until next year and the 2nd wave of titles start hitting the shelves.

I can't wait to hear from EaglesFan and others impressions of the system and games though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #312
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Damn.. in my thinking about standing in line, I forgot one little thing.. Monday night football. Ya.. Packers are 2-7 but.. haven't missed a game in.. sheese... 14 years.

Of course.. as my wife said. "Make a decision.. for the love of the game or for the love of the game.."

always have my handheld TV.. 3 x 5 inch screen though. Guess it'll make the time go by.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #313
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I wouldn't term the demand artificial.

I do think they deliberately cut allocations.

I don't think it was necessary.

That said...PS3 will likely not see US shores before October, and Revolution will probably land around the same time period, so I don't see this hurting Microsoft any more than the PS2 shortfall hurt Sony five years ago.

That said, I don't think this move will create any additional buzz for Microsoft that wasn't already there. They probably aren't going to do the long-term business in the next generation that Sony did in this generation. Not unless the shortfall turns into the sort of early-adopter proselytization they're going for.

Sony knew they could ship 500k units and still do gangbusters business over the life of the console. Microsoft is aiming for that, but they don't have the brand assurance that Sony did. Not yet.

i applaud you on this speculation free post.

that being said - don't you think the demand would be partially artificial once many people who were on the fence on the 360 find out that if they arent in the first batch of lucky ones they're gonna have to wait until after the Holidays that that would kind of "push them over the edge" to want to go get a system.

put it this way: if i was 50/50 on a certain product and i just got word that the availability of that product was going to be limited - there would be a smal part of me that would be like "if you don't get it now the choice will be out of your hands".

that's artificial in my book.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #314
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Damn.. in my thinking about standing in line, I forgot one little thing.. Monday night football. Ya.. Packers are 2-7 but.. haven't missed a game in.. sheese... 14 years.

Of course.. as my wife said. "Make a decision.. for the love of the game or for the love of the game.."

always have my handheld TV.. 3 x 5 inch screen though. Guess it'll make the time go by.

See- you already have your solution

SI

Old 11-19-2005, 12:48 PM   #315
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
i applaud you on this speculation free post.

that being said - don't you think the demand would be partially artificial once many people who were on the fence on the 360 find out that if they arent in the first batch of lucky ones they're gonna have to wait until after the Holidays that that would kind of "push them over the edge" to want to go get a system.

put it this way: if i was 50/50 on a certain product and i just got word that the availability of that product was going to be limited - there would be a smal part of me that would be like "if you don't get it now the choice will be out of your hands".

that's artificial in my book.

I don't think they're directly targeting the 50/50 crowd, though. I mean, they'd love to have them, and they won't quibble about selling a system to somebody previously on the fence, but they know that their launch allocation is going to sell out with or without the fence-setters. What they're hoping to do with this is use the early adopters to plant the seed of "want" in the minds of the uncertain.

That way, in two months, or four months, when supply is more steady, they'll have that second wave primed and ready to keep sales up in the early months of the year.

And that's the second half of what they're trying to do here, I think.

Continuing to get new games on the shelves, particularly games that people want to play, will be important. If the system continues to sell through, then that puts them in a real good position for next holiday season.

If, on the other hand, they shoot their wad this Christmas, as Sony did in March with the PSP launch, then they'll lose whatever momentum they're trying to build, and suddenly it's a dogfight with the PlayStation 3. Not that it won't be anyway, but if they can build market share early, then they're going to be in a much better position with the developers.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #316
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Funny how life is... I'm waiting on the 360 now. Too many low scoring reviews and someone I know has a system and said Madden is visually stunning, but after that, he's back to his Xbox version.

No doubt COD 2 is going to be great on the 360, but I'll get it for $30 on the PC and I'll wait until next year and the 2nd wave of titles start hitting the shelves.

I can't wait to hear from EaglesFan and others impressions of the system and games though.

but the thing is this, someone that buys an xbox 360 is not going to say much negative things about it after spending lots of money on it.

there going to be biased on there opinion of the system
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #317
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
but the thing is this, someone that buys an xbox 360 is not going to say much negative things about it after spending lots of money on it.

there going to be biased on there opinion of the system

Speak for yourself. Even if I feel stupid for ending up having wasted money, I will give honest impressions of the system (if I'm able to get it.) That being said, I don't think either the Xbox 360 or PS3 is going to disappoint in the long term.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #318
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Speak for yourself. Even if I feel stupid for ending up having wasted money, I will give honest impressions of the system (if I'm able to get it.) That being said, I don't think either the Xbox 360 or PS3 is going to disappoint in the long term.

wasnt applying to you.

just saying most other people will be biased on a system they spend money on. its human nature.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #319
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Madden is cool. I didn't play the Xbox or PS2 version this year, so I don't know how different it is from those versions, but I played around with it this morning. Saw a couple of instances of AI retardedness, but I'm guessing that's because I played on the default difficulty.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #320
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, but you know a lot of people aren't like that. There's going to be a lot of the "I have the shiny new toy and even if it sucks, it's good and shiny because I bought it and you didn't"

SI

Old 11-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #321
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
See- you already have your solution

SI

heh.. I have to go into Walmart to make sure I get reception in there though..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #322
Raiders Army
Coordinator

waaaaaaaaaiting in line.

Wife said they're giving out tickets at midnight. WTF?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM   #323
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm bummed to see that Gamespot gave the Xbox 360 version of Madden a fairly poor review. They gave it a 7.4 and mentioned that you can't even scout players before the draft, and that the franchise mode seems like it was back in 2001 (except that stat tracking is deeper.) They did note the graphics are great and look very good even on a standard TV (which I have.)

Here is a link:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...ml?sid=6140115

However, Project Gotham Racing 3 got an 8.8. Despite the review, I'll still pick up Madden if I get the Xbox 360 on launch day.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-20-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:49 AM   #324
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

All of which prove nothing. The first article is pure cynical speculation. The second article has it correct - there is simply a limited number of consoles available for launch in order to ensure that all of the worldwide regions have some consoles available for launch and there will be replenishment in the retail delivery chain after the initial launch date, as opposed to a bunch of consoles at launch and then nothing for a month because the whole supply was sold all at once. The third article is unsubtantiated rumor from a Norwegian retailer.

Occam's razor HA - the simplest (and most logical) answer is that Microsoft is doing something never attempted before in console gaming, i.e. a simultaneous launch in multiple global regions, which means that whatever number of completed manufactured consoles ready-to-go at launch is going to be even more spread out than ever before in history, i.e. there's only so many consoles that can be made in x-amount of time, and by selling the consoles in more locations than ever before, the amount of units that each location has available to sell is smaller than ever.

Or, you can choose to believe the conspiracy theories that say Microsoft is trying to create artificial marketing hype. Given Microsoft's reputation, it's not surprising that people choose to believe the conspiracy theories, despite the fact that the most logical explanation supports the idea that there is no artificial manipulation of the supply chain.

So, believe what you want - I still have yet to see any evidence that whatever shortages may happen in launch deliveries is anything other than a simple case of supply not being able to meet demand.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 AM   #325
WrongWay
Banned

For your Wal~Marts that close at 12 AM try showing up around 11:30PM and watching for the new stock to hit the floor, before the night shift comes on at Midnight. My local Wal~Mart is closed from 12AM-6AM so around 11PM the stockers start hauling out everything that needs to be stocked that night.

Then again, it is Wal~Mart.....Just find that punk kid making minimum wage in the electronics Dept and show him a $20 and you should be in. What does he care? Like many people who now find themselves on the 2nd shipment I assume you were bumped back for not showing a little green....It is not the Police, so it never hurts to ask.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #326
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
For your Wal~Marts that close at 12 AM try showing up around 11:30PM and watching for the new stock to hit the floor, before the night shift comes on at Midnight. My local Wal~Mart is closed from 12AM-6AM so around 11PM the stockers start hauling out everything that needs to be stocked that night.

Then again, it is Wal~Mart.....Just find that punk kid making minimum wage in the electronics Dept and show him a $20 and you should be in. What does he care? Like many people who now find themselves on the 2nd shipment I assume you were bumped back for not showing a little green....It is not the Police, so it never hurts to ask.
I hope you're kidding on that last part.

I'm not waiting in the electronics department; I'm waiting at customer service tomorrow night.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:43 AM   #327
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
I hope you're kidding on that last part.

Nope, It doesn't hurt to ask. It is not like you are trying to bribe the Police. Just get the guy behind the counter alone and tell him you'll give him $20.00 if he can find one in the back for you. What is the worst he can say?

It would probably work better at a smaller electronics store than Wal~Mart. I would rather be dealing with a little Store Manager about getting bumped up on a list, but it never hurts to ask. Although at a little store it would probably cost you $50, but I would still start with $20.

If he says no, just say "Well I had to try". No harm no foul.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #328
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Um, you can't snap the ball if the other team is doing an audible? Gee, I can just imagine people killing their opponent's two-minute drill just by doing audibles over and over.

Doesn't seem to stop the computer any. The Giants decided to go for it on 4th and long when I had set up in a punt return formation, and while I was in the middle of shifting to a regular nickel coverage pattern, they snapped the ball and got off a 45 yard pass completion. If this is in the game, it's only in multiplayer, which I can't confirm yet (I only have one controller, and there are no Madden 360 Live games available right now).

Also, AI clock management and late-game playcalling is absolute shit, at least on the default quarter lengths. 2:30 to go, and the AI is letting the clock tick down despite having the full spread of timeouts and trailing 21-3. As soon as they get the ball back with 35 seconds, they start going nuts with the timeouts, still down 18 points, and attempt the 2-point conversion after scoring as time expired.

Yeah, you're down 21-9, the game is over, but that 2-pointer is sure going to help.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #329
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Yeah, you're down 21-9, the game is over, but that 2-pointer is sure going to help.

The AI had money on the game.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't seem to stop the computer any. The Giants decided to go for it on 4th and long when I had set up in a punt return formation, and while I was in the middle of shifting to a regular nickel coverage pattern, they snapped the ball and got off a 45 yard pass completion. If this is in the game, it's only in multiplayer, which I can't confirm yet (I only have one controller, and there are no Madden 360 Live games available right now).

Also, AI clock management and late-game playcalling is absolute shit, at least on the default quarter lengths. 2:30 to go, and the AI is letting the clock tick down despite having the full spread of timeouts and trailing 21-3. As soon as they get the ball back with 35 seconds, they start going nuts with the timeouts, still down 18 points, and attempt the 2-point conversion after scoring as time expired.

More impressions like this and I'll be glad I'm waiting.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #331
jbmagic
Pro Starter

madden is madden no matter what console or pc its on.

better to wait and see how improve madden 2007 is.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm going to buy it for the pc this week.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #333
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm thinking of going back to 2K5 and find some updated rosters.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #334
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
More impressions like this and I'll be glad I'm waiting.

I'll keep quiet, then.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 AM   #335
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll keep quiet, then.

Um, why? Doesn't that just fall into the "It's ok, but I should make it look better since I was stupid enough to spend money on it" (tho I know that's not the case with you) mentality that we were talking about earlier in the thread?

SI

Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 AM   #336
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Um, why? Doesn't that just fall into the "It's ok, but I should make it look better since I was stupid enough to spend money on it" (tho I know that's not the case with you) mentality that we were talking about earlier in the thread?

SI

No. I'm just giving MizzouRah a hard time.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #337
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
The AI had money on the game.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #338
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'll give you guys my impressions of Tiger Woods and Tony Hawk tomorrow afternoon, if you guys want them.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #339
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Impressions like these make it easier to hold out. Keep 'em coming!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #340
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll keep quiet, then.

Actually, I'd love to hear some great reviews as well.

With COD 2 going for $25 on Friday at Best Buy (PC) and my coupon for 10% off PC games at BB, I'll have tons to do over the holidays.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #341
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just called our closest Walmart and Best Buy.

Nobody waiting for the midnight release at Walmart, but there are people camping out at Best Buy for tomorrow morning. Best Buy (in Middletown, NY) said they had 44 Premium systems and 14 Core systems.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #342
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Just called our closest Walmart and Best Buy.

Nobody waiting for the midnight release at Walmart, but there are people camping out at Best Buy for tomorrow morning. Best Buy (in Middletown, NY) said they had 44 Premium systems and 14 Core systems.

camping out? are you kidding me?

*Yakov Smirnoff voice*

"What a country."
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #343
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
camping out? are you kidding me?

*Yakov Smirnoff voice*

"What a country."
Not at all. What I don't understand is why they aren't waiting at Walmart which is inside and it goes on sale at midnight vs. waiting outside for a 9 A.M. sale at Best Buy.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #344
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Not at all. What I don't understand is why they aren't waiting at Walmart which is inside and it goes on sale at midnight vs. waiting outside for a 9 A.M. sale at Best Buy.

I feel anyone camping out for this thing needs a punch in the face. Or a girlfriend.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #345
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Perhaps they are like my niece and ashamed of being seen in a Walmart?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #346
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Impressions like these make it easier to hold out. Keep 'em coming!

Whoa. Deja vu.

I played another game last night, this one against the Browns. In the raiiiiin.

Forced five turnovers, got 13 points off of them. Clock management was much better this time around...'cept the AI was down 27 points by the time it mattered.

I'm curious whether the coach profile controls things like that. It'd be funny if some coaches were just idiots when it came to the clock, and others were pretty good at managing it.

Let's see...passing game, if you don't use the cone of vision, it plays like older Madden games, where you toss it up there and your guy either comes down with it, or he doesn't. If you use the cone, things get much more challenging. I threw my first interception because I was having trouble adjusting to the cone. It's always sort of dormant - you use the right thumbstick to activate it.

Tiger Woods, now - I really like that everything is by feel. There's no power meter, you don't have the putting line that Links defaults to, and the distance the ball travels is affected as much by the spin you put on the ball as on the prevailing atmospheric conditions.

On the other hand, I hit a hole-in-one after an hour's play. So it seems like a very flat learning curve. Gonna play that some more tonight, as well as either Need for Speed, or if the Microsoft titles show up today, one of those.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #347
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No one at the Lawrence, KS EBGames currently as I was just up there trading in a game. The main game guy said they were getting 25 systems.

SI

Old 11-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #348
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
On the other hand, I hit a hole-in-one after an hour's play.

Do you rule North Korea in your spare time?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #349
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm curious whether the coach profile controls things like that. It'd be funny if some coaches were just idiots when it came to the clock, and others were pretty good at managing it.
Kindof like a Herm Edwards patch?

SI

Old 11-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #350
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Do you rule North Korea in your spare time?

Only if they refuse to give me Alphabet as a token of their goodwill.