Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #301
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Even though I really don't care about the 2D or 3D engine or any real graphical display of the games, I really like that the players have pictures. Is that wrong?

It's not wrong, it helps the inmersion factor imho. Also to be text sims fans doesn't mean that we will close a game if it has the great stats engine from text sims but amazing graphics. We all preffer a good engine and stats over graphics, but of course to have both is always better, i can only dream about a football sim with 2D or even 3D game representation but with the awesome stats engine from FOF.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #302
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hmmm...I wonder how close this puppy is to going gold. College football season is nigh.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #303
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
It's not wrong, it helps the inmersion factor imho. Also to be text sims fans doesn't mean that we will close a game if it has the great stats engine from text sims but amazing graphics. We all preffer a good engine and stats over graphics, but of course to have both is always better, i can only dream about a football sim with 2D or even 3D game representation but with the awesome stats engine from FOF.

Me, too. Oh, to dream the dream.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Even though I really don't care about the 2D or 3D engine or any real graphical display of the games, I really like that the players have pictures. Is that wrong?

You like looking at young athletic males? I always had this feeling you were on the DownLow Chucky.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #305
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
You like looking at young athletic males? I always had this feeling you were on the DownLow Chucky.

Go get mugged.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #306
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
New screenshots!!!

Recruit
Postseason

I sure hope there's an option to change the background. That black background just kills my eyes.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #307
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I sure hope there's an option to change the background. That black background just kills my eyes.

Really? i like dark backgrounds where the front text is clear,i t so easy for my eyes. I can't stand a clear background for example, too much bright for my eyes. Curious thing how different humans are

How would you like it?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #308
Arles
Grey Dog Software

All the background images are stored and dynamically loaded as jpgs. So, anyone can change any particular screen they want. We will also have a skins folder (with the default skin included) for anyone ambitious enough to want to change the main game skin as well. Just bear in mind that the font on the main screens (white) will stay the same - but that's really the only caveat.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #309
General Mike
Pro Starter

Syracuse in the Arizona Bowl? You gotta be kidding me.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #310
maximus
Banned

Does anyone know or has Arlie ever expressed cleaning TPF up some more for BBCF? I would love to pick up BBCF but only if TPF gets some more attention (i.e. bug fixes, may some more additions or enhancements, ect.)
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #311
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Does anyone know or has Arlie ever expressed cleaning TPF up some more for BBCF? I would love to pick up BBCF but only if TPF gets some more attention (i.e. bug fixes, may some more additions or enhancements, ect.)
TPF isn't his property anymore. I think work on TPF would hinder the development of any future titles he may have in mind. Maybe he's working on a new football game that he can code during his late night feedings.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #312
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

he told me when he has time to revisit TPF, he clear up the rest of the bugs i mentions and others has since 1.43.

so i really hope so.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #313
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
TPF isn't his property anymore. I think work on TPF would hinder the development of any future titles he may have in mind. Maybe he's working on a new football game that he can code during his late night feedings.

I understand.

Personally, I can't get inot college football sims unless I have a pro-football sim to go along with it. TPF is good but it still needs work imo.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #314
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
he told me when he has time to revisit TPF, he clear up the rest of the bugs i mentions and others has since 1.43.

so i really hope so.

ok, cool.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #315
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand.

Personally, I can't get inot college football sims unless I have a pro-football sim to go along with it. TPF is good but it still needs work imo.

see NCAA 2006
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #316
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
see NCAA 2006

Yea, buts its not on the PC.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #317
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Missouri is 9-2!! Go Tigers GO!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #318
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Really? i like dark backgrounds where the front text is clear,i t so easy for my eyes. I can't stand a clear background for example, too much bright for my eyes. Curious thing how different humans are

How would you like it?

I like a white background, or something soft like solecismic yellow. And with black text.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #319
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Dola

Though I'm sure I'd adjust to whatever soon enough.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #320
Johnny93g
College Starter

game looks like it would be alot of fun....if theres a demo released, or the 3 day trial, ill probably try it right away
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #321
Danny
Head Coach

I am sure there will be a demo released. It will allow you to play the game up to certain point and will not have a max number of real life days you can play it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #322
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Danny's right. There will be a demo limited to almost a full season (enough to try the engine, setup your strategies and recruit a little). There will be no time limit on how long you can play though. The game will simply end at a certain point.

It will also be released before the game is available for purchase.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #323
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Danny's right. There will be a demo limited to almost a full season (enough to try the engine, setup your strategies and recruit a little). There will be no time limit on how long you can play though. The game will simply end at a certain point.

I see, good enough for me.......
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #324
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Glad to hear that. I'm a fairly slow player and hate the 3 day demos as I never have time to do anything in that time frame...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #325
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Arles

the screenshots so far look great.

keep up the great work.

i see this game vastly being more improve over TPF when it comes out.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #326
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Excellent. Invariably, when I try a time-restricted demo, I end up having something unexpected happen and don't really have a chance to make use of my time to decide if I want to buy the product or not. I much prefer this strategy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #327
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wink

Quote:
Missouri is 9-2!! Go Tigers GO!
They obviously haven't finished with the AI logic quite yet.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #328
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The best thing would be a 3 day demo that afte 3 days locked itself into being the regular demo that ends at a certain point. Doubt it'll ever happen, but that'd be amazing.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #329
st.cronin
General Manager

On the recruiting screen shot, what does the (A) indicate after certain player's positions?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #330
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
On the recruiting screen shot, what does the (A) indicate after certain player's positions?

Athlete, I would think. Meaning they can be moved around.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #331
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Grey Dog Software is pleased to announce our Developer's chat with Arlie Rahn, the creator of Bowl Bound College Football. The Chat will be held on Thursday, August 25th at 9:00PM CST in #GDS on the Stratics IRC servers. This is your chance to ask questions directly to the developer of BB!

You will need to download an IRC client (mIRC, pirch, or another IRC client) and have it connect to irc.stratics.com or, alternatively, to one of the following servers:

stratics.frws.com port 6668, USA - Colorado

irc.glowfish.de port 6668, EU - Germany

stratics.afraidyet.net 6668, USA - Texas

irc.epaxsys.net port 6668, USA - Colorado

Once you are connected, you can join the #GDS channel by typing /join #GDS

For more information on how to get connected using mIRC, please visit http://chat.stratics.com.
You will find a Quick connect guide at http://chat.stratics.com/content/co...uickconnect.php.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks!
Tara
[email protected]
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #332
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This announcement re: the chat was also made in a Gamespot news article. Again, it is nice to see text sims get that kind of publicity.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #333
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
They obviously haven't finished with the AI logic quite yet.

I wondered when that was coming.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #334
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

That was my assumption; potentially a very cool feature.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #335
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I wondered when that was coming.
They switched Brad Smith to tight end...where he's quite "athletical."
Old 08-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #336
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Yep, that's correct. And, instead of listing them simply as athlete, you get the position they project best to in college as well as a (A). This may or may not be their best position in HS though. There are some CB (A) that rush for a ton of yards at RB in HS, as well as other similar setups.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #337
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
They switched Brad Smith to tight end...where he's quite "athletical."

He WILL be able to use his strengths this year.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #338
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yea, buts its not on the PC.

Time to get a ps2 or Xbox used.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #339
bhlloy
Coordinator

One of the things that has always bugged me about TCY (don't get me wrong one of my favourite games of all time) is that recruiting and player positions are so static. You have to find C,G,T because the chances are that top 100 tackle won't convert into a center if you need him to. And if I have shortages at corner, there is certainly no way I'm ever going to find a WR who can be half decent there.
While I'm very excited that there are athletes in BBCF, will there be athletes and fixed position players, or will every player have room for flexibility? Looking at scout.com, it seems most (at least half) of the players are either projected at a different position or could well play a different position in college.

What I'm trying to say is... are there going to be a fixed number of "Athletes" in every recruiting class and then the rest of the players are static RB, CB, whatever? Or will a 6'1 190 runningback with great speed and hands project to WR or CB if that's what I want him to be? The first would absolutely ruin recruiting for me personally.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #340
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
One of the things that has always bugged me about TCY (don't get me wrong one of my favourite games of all time) is that recruiting and player positions are so static. You have to find C,G,T because the chances are that top 100 tackle won't convert into a center if you need him to. And if I have shortages at corner, there is certainly no way I'm ever going to find a WR who can be half decent there.
While I'm very excited that there are athletes in BBCF, will there be athletes and fixed position players, or will every player have room for flexibility? Looking at scout.com, it seems most (at least half) of the players are either projected at a different position or could well play a different position in college.

What I'm trying to say is... are there going to be a fixed number of "Athletes" in every recruiting class and then the rest of the players are static RB, CB, whatever? Or will a 6'1 190 runningback with great speed and hands project to WR or CB if that's what I want him to be? The first would absolutely ruin recruiting for me personally.

We'll get to see all the Hines Wards of the world.

Or the Eric Crouchs

Either way, very cool.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #341
bhlloy
Coordinator

It is very cool, but why limit it to designated "athletes"? To some extent every player coming out of high school is an athlete in that they often play both ways, they have a lot of learning and growing to do and the teams usually decide where they want them to play once training camp starts and team needs can be specified.
Hell, players even change position between years. Look at Buchanon at USC who started as a reciever, switched to corner for a couple of years and is back at reciever for this year.

Sorry if I'm going on, it might not even be an issue (hope not). Just something I feel very strongly about. TCY would be pretty close to perfect if 1) academics were sorted and made realistic (i.e. I can't make any team in the country get top 20 recruits every year by jacking up my study hall time) and 2) player positions weren't so damn inflexible
Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #342
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

great news Arles. Recruiting being such a big part of college football I think it's somewhat essential that we get at least a taste of the recruiting process, one week or two even during the season, just so we can see how it works. Great news! Can't wait for this game!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:39 PM   #343
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy

In the camp stage, you can change the position for any player. There's a hidden "adaptability" rating that impacts how well a player can adjust to a new position. That, combined with the player's work ethic will dictate if he's a success at the new spot. It's always better to move a kid when he's young as well. Still, the point is that player position movement is expected and even encouraged in many cases. In testing we've found guys drafted as a RB that end up being very good corners or WRs that end up being good safeties.

Athletes will inheirantly have a better "adaptability" rating than your average player - quite honestly that's really the meaning of identifying them in recruiting. If you really need a corner but only two safeties are interested (and one is an athlete), chances are the athlete will better convert to a corner. They also tend to have higher athletic ratings which makes them more flexibile when switching spots.

Also, in camp, a small menu for changing position gives you your coaches' estimation on a player's current ability at each new position and their future potential. This will give you a good clue as to which players will have a good chance at making the adjustment to a new spot and which won't. Size also plays a big factor. If you have a WR that's 5-8, 170, chances are he will be viewed as an awful TE regardless of his ratings. However, if you have a WR that's 6-4, 225, he may end up grading as a decent TE. Of course, since most changes won't be that obvious, you get the player's new projected "target weight" if he switches to that spot. So, if a WR is 225 and his target weight for TE is 245, you may want to move him. Whereas, if his target weight is 260, he probably won't have enough development time to get to that weight before he leaves. Target weights vary per player and are based on their skill level and how well they can adjust to the new position.

Another nice aspect of BBCF is that most of the ratings are a factor of a player's size. IE, it's doubtful that a DE that weighs 245 will have a great run-defense rating (could happen, but it's doubtful). It's also rare for a smurf WR to have great blocking ratings. Bigger WRs tend to be slightly slower than smaller guys (on average, of course) and so forth. Hopefully, this helps the immersion factor a bit.

Last edited by Arles : 08-23-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #344
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the camp stage, you can change the position for any player. There's a hidden "adaptability" rating that impacts how well a player can adjust to a new position. That, combined with the player's work ethic will dictate if he's a success at the new spot. It's always better to move a kid when he's young as well. Still, the point is that player position movement is expected and even encouraged in many cases. In testing we've found guys drafted as a RB that end up being very good corners or WRs that end up being good safeties.

Athletes will inheirantly have a better "adaptability" rating than your average player - quite honestly that's really the meaning of identifying them in recruiting. If you really need a corner but only two safeties are interested (and one is an athlete), chances are the athlete will better convert to a corner. They also tend to have higher athletic ratings which makes them more flexibile when switching spots.

Also, in camp, a small menu for changing position gives you your coaches' estimation on a player's current ability at each new position and their future potential. This will give you a good clue as to which players will have a good chance at making the adjustment to a new spot and which won't. Size also plays a big factor. If you have a WR that's 5-8, 170, chances are he will be viewed as an awful TE regardless of his ratings. However, if you have a WR that's 6-4, 225, he may end up grading as a decent TE. Of course, since most changes won't be that obvious, you get the player's new projected "target weight" if he switches to that spot. So, if a WR is 225 and his target weight for TE is 245, you may want to move him. Whereas, if his target weight is 260, he probably won't have enough development time to get to that weight before he leaves. Target weights vary per player and are based on their skill level and how well they can adjust to the new position.

Another nice aspect of BBCF is that most of the ratings are a factor of a player's size. IE, it's doubtful that a DE that weighs 245 will have a great run-defense rating (could happen, but it's doubtful). It's also rare for a smurf WR to have great blocking ratings. Bigger WRs tend to be slightly slower than smaller guys (on average, of course) and so forth. Hopefully, this helps the immersion factor a bit.

That sounds great. I hope it really works well. I'm looking forward to trying out the demo.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #345
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds good Arlie - I'm looking forward to trying the demo. I've been chomping at the bit for a new college football text sim, and it looks like you're addressing a lot of the issues people had with TCY.

Will your game be designed in such a way as to encourage 3rd part mods and utilities?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #346
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah arles, what you just said about BBCF gave me a serious chubby. i can't wait for this game now, that's a great piece of realism!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #347
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:

Sounds really great. I can't wait for this game.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #348
bhlloy
Coordinator

A very nice way to approach the issue Arles, and sounds like a very good implementation. Looks like another release date purchase
Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #349
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Arles,

How are you going about keeping the talent pool relatively stable over time? Creating "athletes" as well as the pervasive ability to move to new positions sounds like it could be a little daunting when it comes to creating stability over time. Short-term talent fluctuations are a fact of life (and a nice to have), but long-term I see the ability to move players around the field (especially with the added dynamic of some of their attributes being determined by size) as possibly problematic unless great care is taken.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #350
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Arles,

How are you going about keeping the talent pool relatively stable over time? Creating "athletes" as well as the pervasive ability to move to new positions sounds like it could be a little daunting when it comes to creating stability over time. Short-term talent fluctuations are a fact of life (and a nice to have), but long-term I see the ability to move players around the field (especially with the added dynamic of some of their attributes being determined by size) as possibly problematic unless great care is taken.
This is a very good question. The answer (in a very broad sense) is that player creation (from a % standpoint) is tied to the players that leave and the needs of teams at certain positions. So, if you recruit an elite RB and switch him to corner, the game will create an extra corner to fill his shoes (even though he was originally a RB). Now, this isn't a one-for-one process or that specific. But, the way the talent pool stays consistent is that the game tries its best to replace what just left.

Now, as with any item based on %s, there is a chance that "runs" in certain positions will occur over certain time periods. IE, just because more CBs are created to fill voids does not mean there will be better CBs than other positions. There's a chance that more average CBs will be in a certain pool and teams that would normally look for a 4-star CB may have to consider a 3-star CB that season. But, by the %s themselves, this will usually get sorted out as the other side of the coin catches up in future seasons.

So, I think the fact that we try to replace was has just left (instead of judge based on what was orginally created) keeps us from hitting any kind of wall from a player pool standpoint.

Last edited by Arles : 08-24-2005 at 03:35 PM.