Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #301
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
OK, here it is. Two outs, bases empty, and I'm beating the Brewers 1-0 in the third inning. Geoff Jenkins is at the plate, and Jason Marquis serves him a big fat one. Roger Cedeno bails me out in left.

The entire play
The climax in slow motion

How can I not love this game? Now I have to get back to the game to bat in my half of the third.

Damn, nice!

Had almost the exact same play happen when I was playing against my brother. I was down by one with one guy on base, bottom of the 9th and 2 outs. I nail one DEEP! I am of course already taunting him, when Trot Nixon jumps up and pulls it back from over the wall.

It still hurts.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #302
samifan24
Pro Starter

Xbox version. And FWIW- some of the songs are ok, but I really can't stand a good number of them. Last year's music was better.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #303
ShaefIllini
Mascot

My first impression, which I'm sure has been said earlier in the thread, is that the computer defense is absolutely off the charts. I'm playing as the Cubs and there have been at least 10 instances where an outfielder has sprinted full speed and jumped face first into the ivy. While I like the fact that these plays are possible, they seem to happen too often for me.

Also, the computer fielders need a bit more personality. Most flyballs result in an outfielder drifting over and lazily snagging the ball. Sorry if this is a repeat, but this is one minor gripe I have with the game.

However, overall I think the game is very solid.

-I'm playing on the XBOX-

Last edited by ShaefIllini : 03-04-2005 at 10:44 PM.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45 PM   #304
FBPro
College Starter

I'm playing PC, but this is w/o a doubt the most I have played a graphics baseball game since a version of HH a few years ago.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #305
Celeval
Pro Starter

PC, playing and loving it. Doing dynasty writeups of my Owner mode game that will be posted as soon as I make it through April.

Re: Music - Some guys on mvpmods.com were talking about being able to import custom music. Haven't gone into those threads, but it sounds like it's possible.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #306
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm playing Xbox and loving it. It just dragged me away from FM for a few hours. This and FM are games I really want to play whenever I can.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #307
FBPro
College Starter

I'm loving it as well, even though I'm only playing in manage mode it is still quite fun, plays quickly and is a nice change of pace from the normal text baseball games I play. This week I plan on grabbing MLB 2006 as I've heard really good things about the manager mode that it is graphical and has some nice options(sounds a bit like ITP) as well. I think it's due out Tuesday for PS2.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #308
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
I'm loving it as well, even though I'm only playing in manage mode it is still quite fun, plays quickly and is a nice change of pace from the normal text baseball games I play. This week I plan on grabbing MLB 2006 as I've heard really good things about the manager mode that it is graphical and has some nice options(sounds a bit like ITP) as well. I think it's due out Tuesday for PS2.

I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts about MLB 2006.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #309
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Awesome Pumpy.

Xbox here as well.

I'll say this and then I'm done singing the praises of this game.

Point and case:

Ben Sheets just threw a no-hitter against me and their hitters beat the hell out of my pitching staff 11-0. I'm numb, even though I was losing all game, I wanted that one hit. One lousy hit and I couldn't do it. I don't think I've ever felt so defeated in a game before. Wow. I can honestly say I don't feel cheated either.

Best $10 I've ever spent on a console game.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #310
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Is the create a stadium mode worth it?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #311
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Is the create a stadium mode worth it?

No. Don't buy it just for this. It's really not that detailed.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #312
SackAttack
Head Coach

Create-a-stadium is a cool idea, and it's the one thing that feels off in this game that really makes me wish EA could come back with a pro game next year. It has some flaws and some limitations that I think a year's polish could really put a shine on.

The gameplay, though...damn. this is the first baseball game on Xbox where I could seriously skip the next year's version and not feel like I'm missing out. It's just that good.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #313
FBPro
College Starter

Patch #1 for PC released, updates rosters to 2/20. Haven't played with it yet to see if any other changes were made but it is out there.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:28 AM   #314
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Patch #1 for PC released, updates rosters to 2/20. Haven't played with it yet to see if any other changes were made but it is out there.

fbpro

for pc version, when you get a chance , please check if you see any graphic stuttering still with new patch.

i am tempting to get the game for the pc, but i heard there is graphic stuttering on it.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 AM   #315
FBPro
College Starter

Check here, I don't play out the games I manage them:
http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?nam...viewforum&f=20
Old 03-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #316
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ok, last night I stayed up way too late again and my Orioles were thoroughly destroyed by the Devil Rays (of all teams).

In the first game of the series, I actually took a 1-0 lead after the first inning and started feeling confident regarding my chances. Alas, it was the only run I scored in the game, and I ended up losing, 2-1. Scott Kazmir then tossed a 5-hitter (with 11 Ks) against me - man, he was incredible.

I'm now 0-9, and my managing grade has been lowered to a D . I'm hoping I don't get fired anytime soon, as I'd like to continue playing this dynasty until I can break out of this slump. Overall, I think I've scored 9 runs in my 9 games and my best hitter is up to a robust .250 batting average.

Still, this is the most fun I've ever had in a console baseball game, and I continually want to play one more game - despite the fact that it's 2am in the morning and I have to wake up in 4 hours with the kids. I'm paying for it now
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #317
henry296
College Starter

I can't hit to save my life. Against Kazmir as the O's I struck out 17 times. I see the changeup and can't hit. I am late on the fastball and out in front of the change.

It's been at least since HH2002 since I played an arcarde baseball game. I just need to practice, practice, practice.

BTW, I am using XBox as well.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #318
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Against Kazmir as the O's I struck out 17 times.

17 times?! I guess I can consider my 11 strikeouts against Kazmir a moral victory
how do you know?

Old 03-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #319
CraigSca
Pro Starter

dola...

Henry - have you hit any homeruns with the O's yet? I have one for Tejada and one from Newhan (think he has only two hits).

I have about 3 doubles in 9 games, but I think I'll be increasing that frequency as I begin to remember to slide when stretching a long single
how do you know?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:07 AM   #320
CraigSca
Pro Starter

At the risk of sounding uh...lame...

Is there anyone else who STANDS in front of their TV while playing the game? For some reason I am most comfortable standing while pitching. Now, I don't go through a full wind-up or anything , but I do find myself exhaling as well as the occasional shake of my "pitching arm" to make sure it's loose. Ok - I'm pathetic.

On a semi-related topic - has anyone noticed that when pitchers have runners on base that the pitch meter moves much faster. I suppose that's simulating the difference between full wind-up and pitching from the set position - pretty cool
how do you know?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #321
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
fbpro
for pc version, when you get a chance , please check if you see any graphic stuttering still with new patch.
i am tempting to get the game for the pc, but i heard there is graphic stuttering on it.
thanks

I've been playing for about a week now, and I haven't experienced any in-game stuttering, so can't speak to that. The only technical problems I've had have been with the intro video - very, very choppy, and the sound as well. Madden 2005 does the same thing - but once I'm in the menus and the game itself it's very smooth... just the "MVP 2005, it's in the game" part gives me trouble.

That is pre-patch, I'm just upgrading to the patch today so unsure what changes that will have.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #322
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
At the risk of sounding uh...lame...

Is there anyone else who STANDS in front of their TV while playing the game? For some reason I am most comfortable standing while pitching. Now, I don't go through a full wind-up or anything , but I do find myself exhaling as well as the occasional shake of my "pitching arm" to make sure it's loose. Ok - I'm pathetic.

On a semi-related topic - has anyone noticed that when pitchers have runners on base that the pitch meter moves much faster. I suppose that's simulating the difference between full wind-up and pitching from the set position - pretty cool

No, I like to sit on our bed when playing, but maybe standing will my hitting back on track.

I've noticed the different meter when runners are on base. In fact, Mike Myers has a real s l o w meter from the windup and a faster one from the stretch.

I've also noticed when I played Bo Hart at 3rd to rest Rolen, his throwing meter had much more red - meaning it would be much easier to make a bad throw. Nice touch.

I said I was done praising this game didn't I?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #323
mgadfly
High School Varsity

My favorite play so far was a routine ground out to the 3B, except, that Randy Winn's bat shattered on the play and almost took the 3B out. I wish there was a little more documentation about how to do certain things (like baserunning, which I finally figured out, and throwing-the red meter mentioned above).

I also like how the colored range for a decent pitch shrinks as your pitcher fatigues. I had a starter trying to close a game out in the 30s on the stamina %, and all that was left was a sliver of color.

I also had a nice drag bunt with Ichiro, but am having a hard time figuring it out and being able to get one down consistently.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #324
kmbgolf
n00b

Has anyone been able to get the comp to swing at balls?
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #325
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbgolf
Has anyone been able to get the comp to swing at balls?

Yep.

They'll do it quite often if you get ahead in the count also.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #326
mgadfly
High School Varsity

What I'd like to see happen is the computer to swing at balls outside the strike zone a little more often, and pitch outside the strike zone (especially since I swing at anything) a lot more.

Has anyone found any sliders that they think work well?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #327
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've got no problems regarding the computer never swinging at bad pitches. Drop a curveball out of the strike zone with an 0-2 count and watch the CPU batters chase. Have your ace smoke a high fastball at a power hitter. The hitter may very well go after it.

I can't speak for any other players, but I started out by being afraid to throw pitches a little bit outside the strike zone, especially if the count was even or if I was behind. I finally learned to stop being afraid of giving up a couple of walks, and I actually got the computer to chase more pitches. Maybe they figure that I'll hang one over the plate on a 2-0 count. Sometimes I will, but if a free swinger is at the plate (helloooooo, Pat Burrell!), I can make him try to slug a pitch out of the dirt. I've played 25 games of MVP 2005 so far, and I'm still amazed at what it does.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #328
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have no problems with the computer swinging at bad pitches either. If I get a guy in a hole and throw it a little out of the zone, he will usually swing and miss. Of course, now that I'm playing with no pitching cursor to add challenge to pitching, this is harder to do. Also, I find the CPU will pitch out of the zone just fine, and make me swing at many bad pitches. Perhaps it is a function of difficulty level? I'm playing on All-Star defaults and it plays really well.

I love how the players seem really different and like the real players. For example, Kenny Lofton is great at chasing balls down, but his wet noodle of an arm is horrible. He has cost me quite a few runs already with his weak arm. However, Abreu has a gun of an arm. Similarly, every player on my team plays very close to how I imagine them playing.

I agree with Pumpy that pitching out of the zone is best with the free swingers and guys that have just average plate discipline. Teams that have guys with good plate discipline don't chase as many pitches as teams that have many players with bad plate discipline. Very realistic.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #329
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well this thread made me decide to go out and get the game only to find the two places near me were both sold out and neither was expecting a new shipment before Thursday. I think my continuing to read this thread will be nothing more than torture.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #330
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Maybe it is the quality of pitcher that it hurting me. They chase some stuff out of the zone, and I haven't walked a lot of guys, so maybe I just need to go outside a little more often.

I had an interesting play this afternoon. I was playing as Seattle against Kansas City. I can't remember who they had at bat, but he hit a ground ball right between my pitchers legs. My CF (Reed) was charging in hard for the ground ball. But it hit the second base bag and shot off at an angle. Reed didn't have a chance to change direction so it got between him and Ichiro and slowly rolled to the warning track before he was able to run it down. KC's runner rounded third, but decided to hold up. It would have been a close call but they might have been able to get an in the park HR off of it.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #331
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do you guys avoid having your starter's stamina drop down to about 65% by the 5th inning? It doesn't matter what team/player I am, my pitchers always get really tired early. I know that the longer you hold down "A" on the pitching meter, the more you put into a throw, but this is getting ridiculous. How do you get around this?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #332
vex
Grizzled Veteran

At what percentage should you take a pitcher out?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
How do you guys avoid having your starter's stamina drop down to about 65% by the 5th inning? It doesn't matter what team/player I am, my pitchers always get really tired early. I know that the longer you hold down "A" on the pitching meter, the more you put into a throw, but this is getting ridiculous. How do you get around this?

Make sure you don't continually use up the whole meter. Most times a pitcher isn't actually throwing as hard as he can.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It depends on the pitcher. Some pitchers that have really good stuff, I'll keep them in until they are down to about 40%. Others who aren't as good, I'll pull them somewhere around 50-60%.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #335
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
At what percentage should you take a pitcher out?

I find that it depends on the pitcher. I was playing at TB and Kazmir was throwing for me. I sent Lou out twice to talk to him and both times he responded positively and his stamina went up. Kazmir lasted an extra inning and a half. When I finally yanked him, Kazmir was around 60%, but I've pulled pitchers far earlier if they're way off the mark at 70%.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #336
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Does everyone elses stamina seem to boost up really fast after games? I can run a 3 or 2 man rotation sometimes.

Last edited by vex : 03-05-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #337
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does everyone elses stamina seem to boost up really fast after games? I can run a 3 or 2 man rotation sometimes.

I've never really tried that, but I've noticed that my relievers are recovering quickly even after being used 3-4 days in a row.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #338
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Yes. I noticed this immediately. I pitched Mark Mulder to open my season, and then I think I had Matt Morris pitch the second game of the season. When it was time for me to start the third game, Mulder was back up to 100%. You really can do a 3-man or 2-man rotation, although for realism's sake, I haven't even considered doint it.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #339
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes. I noticed this immediately. I pitched Mark Mulder to open my season, and then I think I had Matt Morris pitch the second game of the season. When it was time for me to start the third game, Mulder was back up to 100%. You really can do a 3-man or 2-man rotation, although for realism's sake, I haven't even considered doint it.

Fortunately, the CPU doesn't seem to use a 2 or 3 man rotation either.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #340
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm the Rangers so I have Rogers, Drese, Park(he's not bad on the game) pitch and now and then I let Dominguez pitch. I'm thinking about adjusting the sliders for this.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:36 PM   #341
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm the Rangers so I have Rogers, Drese, Park(he's not bad on the game) pitch and now and then I let Dominguez pitch. I'm thinking about adjusting the sliders for this.

If you do and find something more realistic, let us know.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #342
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Not to knock the way you play, but if the CPU doesn't use a 3-man rotation, then why do you want to adjust sliders? Why not just, uh, not use a 3-man rotation?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #343
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Any tips on judging balls and strikes while batting? I look for a fastball, and it seems I'm swinging no matter where it goes. I just don't have the time/reflexes to judge the pitch before it's too late.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #344
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan
Any tips on judging balls and strikes while batting? I look for a fastball, and it seems I'm swinging no matter where it goes. I just don't have the time/reflexes to judge the pitch before it's too late.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm still not great, but I'm much better than I used to be. I just was 2 hit, but I usually get 6-12 hits per game. Also, make sure you are really focused with no distractions around if possible.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #345
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not to knock the way you play, but if the CPU doesn't use a 3-man rotation, then why do you want to adjust sliders? Why not just, uh, not use a 3-man rotation?

Uh, sorry for wanting realism.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #346
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I've really only noticed this with my relievers, especially Gagne. Seems like I can trot him out there 162 times a year if I want to, even for multi-inning saves.

Catchers, on the other hand, fatigue like crazy.

Hakuna matata.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:07 AM   #347
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Uh, sorry for wanting realism.

Well, no, that's kinda my point. I know it's not realistic for a starting pitcher to be back at 100% stamina after two days off. If the CPU took advantage of the stamina gain to pitch their ace every three days, it affects the game. Since the CPU doesn't do that, then you can "simulate" realism by not pitching your ace every three days. If you find sliders that help you, that's great, but unless I'm reading things wrong, the only tangible effect you'll get is that you won't want to use a 3-man rotation. It won't affect the CPU's rotation at all.

Or am I missing something here?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #348
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Well, it might affect the CPUs rotation, especially with the relief pitchers. Plus, the problem that I have is that there should be the option to go on short rest, but a potential penalty for doing it (that is realistic). Here, the solution is a flat rule "don't do it" or "do it without penalty."

So, short rest in playoffs, which is fairly common but runs the risk of a tired starter, has no down side in this game.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #349
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow

the Gagne example is a disappointment, if you can put your best reliever out there every game to relief and never get tire. i hope there days he cant pitch because of fatigue.

and i hoping cpu teams in the playoffs go with a shorter starting rotation for the playoffs.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:36 AM   #350
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
wow

the Gagne example is a disappointment, if you can put your best reliever out there every game to relief and never get tire. i hope there days he cant pitch because of fatigue.

We'll see. I'm also only in April, so who knows? If I overuse him now, it may be that come August/September he isn't able to pitch as often. Fatigue effects tend to be subtle.