Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2005, 07:08 AM   #301
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Lucky for me Ive got about 25k in cash. I really think this will make it tougher on new bands, however, all of the bands already established wont have much problem with this.

As a new, struggling band it's hard... but it makes sense.. as I was reading and seeing the way to succeed in the game, it was not LOGICAL at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #302
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I agree that this is a very nice and needed change, although my heavy metal band, Battery Acid, is now *really* going to struggle. I was sort of "role-playing" with this band. They're SERIOUSLY into their music and their genre. On tour, they always look for clubs in their genre, and the "cooler" clubs second. They won't put a song in their set list until it is perfect, nor will they release any record or CD until it is perfected. They practice in their own garage, and will do so until they make some money touring.

I wonder if Battery Acid is gonna make it.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #303
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I agree that this is a very nice and needed change, although my heavy metal band, Battery Acid, is now *really* going to struggle. I was sort of "role-playing" with this band. They're SERIOUSLY into their music and their genre. On tour, they always look for clubs in their genre, and the "cooler" clubs second. They won't put a song in their set list until it is perfect, nor will they release any record or CD until it is perfected. They practice in their own garage, and will do so until they make some money touring.

I wonder if Battery Acid is gonna make it.

I've had a VERY hard time writing songs and I don't know why... I have gone e or 4 months without a new song.... what do you do to get new songs, let alone to improve them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #304
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I've had a VERY hard time writing songs and I don't know why... I have gone e or 4 months without a new song.... what do you do to get new songs, let alone to improve them?
Battery Acid practices as many as 19 days per month, boot camp, with things heavily tilted toward new songs at this point (8 or 9). I get one-two per month when I practice that much.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #305
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Battery Acid practices as many as 19 days per month, boot camp, with things heavily tilted toward new songs at this point (8 or 9). I get one-two per month when I practice that much.

Ouch. That's gotta hit their happiness hard.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #306
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

woohoo My Math Rock band Calculii got interest from a label!
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #307
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Once you are able to practice at the better practice spaces, it gets a lot easier. I go to "plush practice space" now and any time I practice for about 8 days (it could be less, I don't know), I get a new song. If I practice for 20+, I'll get 2 songs.

SI

Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #308
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

No comments today?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #309
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelMonkey
No comments today?

My debut single sold out all 20,000 copies and my debut album is still seilling over 10,000 copies 3 weeks after release.

Yay.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #310
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm kinda upset that living expenses went from $100 to $250. It's getting more and more difdicult for my fledgling band to make any money...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #311
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
No comments today?

Yeah. When is Shovel Monkey going to release a single, so I can offer them a better contract?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #312
Airhog
Captain Obvious

JeeberD just wait until you jump to 1000 a day as professional muscians

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #313
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You'll be happy to know that Breeding Pine Trees has written their first original song, A Ballad of Trout, which will be played live in the coming month.

Not doing as well is Office Pimps, who are not making nearly as much money, but now have 2 songs to their name, Shock and Awe and Hack and Slash.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #314
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm kinda upset that living expenses went from $100 to $250. It's getting more and more difdicult for my fledgling band to make any money...

I'm at $5,000
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #315
vex
Grizzled Veteran

My two bands are at #1 and #2 on the singles charts this week
Old 03-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #316
JeeberD
General Manager

Yikes...

Old 03-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #317
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Yeah. When is Shovel Monkey going to release a single, so I can offer them a better contract?

Our new single, "Peter Jennings," is due out this month...
Old 03-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #318
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yikes...

It sucks, but you don't really notice it when you have $200-$300K in the bank.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #319
Franklinnoble
Banned

The Elitists label made me an offer they couldn't afford...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #320
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
It sucks, but you don't really notice it when you have $200-$300K in the bank.

Yeah, I'm to the point where I pissed away some money on instruments. That's a part of the game that the dev has said he doesn't want to implement but I think would be a good idea. Tho the scale would be bigger...

Speaking of which, here's how I'd overhaul the economy:
1. Make it much harder for bands to book large venues. This may have been taken care of with the recent update but those of us who started out ahead of that curve are sitting there laughing all the way to the bank. There's no way that after 1 year of pretty much constant touring to start the game that I should be hanging out around 80 popularity when the max is 100. This would help add some stickiness to the game because it would take a lot longer to work up to playing places like American Airlines "20K" arena.
2. Uh, Europe sucks. Every venue is 5K or less. I doubt Fascist Eagle will ever go back. Realism is good, balance is better. It's not as if London or Berlin or Paris or Rome, etc don't have any large venues, either.
3. Make instruments do something. And by that, I mean, make sure every type of musician has a scale of a few instruments and they all do similar things. 10 types of guitars, 10 types of keyboards, 10 types of bass, etc... And while it's realisitic to have them cost between $200 and $3000, it hurts the game because the only time anyone buys them is for vanity because they do nothing. Make them cost between $200 and the guitar string of doom ($5M, I think- and get rid of it since the guitar would function the same way). While your musical ability is capped at 100, have these not count towards it so that if you eventually get enough cash to outfit all of your band members with their Guitar of Doom and Drums of Doom, etc, they'd get a +50 bonus or something so they actually have 150. It would give people a reason to shoot for more cash other than just, well, sleeping on piles of money.
4. This new "if you don't book enough venues you can book those days elsewhere" smacks of the hattie qualification bug-- err "feature". For those of you not familiar, it's better to finish in 5th or 6th place rather than 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Stupid, huh? Well, this is along those same lines. I'm going to be trying to find that break even point in popularity so that I get large venues and *still* get the extra days back. For instance, last month, I toured 14 days and got turned down in 3 places but didn't get those days back. This month, I did a 28 day and got rejected in 7 so I got some of those days back. I said "Great!" so rather than 3 days of rest, I have 7 this month. After all, what do I care if I get rejected in the 5K arenas when I'm playing 20K places to start the month.

Well, there's the economy rant. Oh, and I spent about 30 minutes collecting images and making 60x60 icons for Fascist Eagle's band members. And then realized the blank images are bigger than 60x60 so they look stretched. D'oh. Well, they're there anyways- decided to go with anime characters, 1 each from 6 different shows that kindof match the personalities I gave my band members.

SI

Old 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #321
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I've started up a second band to completley counter Element in as many ways as possible (well, apart from the successful part anyway). The Pegs draw influences from the late 60's avant-garde scene and the late 70's post-punk movement, meshing in a sonic exploratinon like no other.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess who the members of the band are (blatantly, picture and all) modelled on. Shouldn't be too difficult...
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #322
bbor
Pro Starter

How do you increase happyness?

My band is pissed

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #323
JeeberD
General Manager

Rest rest and more rest...

Old 03-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #324
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
The Elitists label made me an offer they couldn't afford...

Try again. I transferred some more cash to the account.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #325
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
How do you increase happyness?

My band is pissed

Have them play music maven and make sure your practices aren't too boot camp.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Have them play music maven and make sure your practices aren't too boot camp.

Or stop practicing for a couple of months and tour instead. Practicing is what really makes them pissed and practicing at 10 is a surefire way to get them really ticked at you.

SI

Old 03-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #327
JeeberD
General Manager

Death to bbor looks like it's finally starting to gain some steam. We have nearly three grand in cash and our first two songs are finally getting decent. It might be time to put out a single soon!

Old 03-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #328
bbor
Pro Starter

LOL@death to bbor

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #329
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Death to bbor looks like it's finally starting to gain some steam.

Any pile of crap can gain steam...

Old 03-06-2005, 02:44 AM   #330
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well, my girls felt the 30 days of '10' level practice was a bit too much.... I just took them on a shopping spree (new instruments all around!) and decided to give them 16 days of rest next month.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:55 AM   #331
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've chipped $100K into the FOFC Live! fund to give out for contracts next time around. I'd love to chip some of that particularly to some of you guys who have released 2 singles and still don't have a bunch of cash (Double D and the Usuals, S.T.A.T., The Klein Bottles) but I can't offer any new contracts. I'm guessing you guys can't get out until you're done with your obligations (which for a couple of you is just an album).

SI

Old 03-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #332
Franklinnoble
Banned

My latest band, Finger Bang, now has photos.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #333
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Our new single, "Peter Jennings," is due out this month...

I only had the funds to produce 10,000 copies which all sold this month. Got a fat new contract offer from Elitist Records!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #334
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I only had the funds to produce 10,000 copies which all sold this month. Got a fat new contract offer from Elitist Records!

You earned it!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:29 PM   #335
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like some of our labels will be shooting up the charts:

17. Label ratings were being calculated incorrectly FIXED 3/6/2005
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #336
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I do not have the money to relase a single. My label needs to pump me some more funds!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #337
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I do not have the money to relase a single. My label needs to pump me some more funds!

I can next time
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #338
vex
Grizzled Veteran

SI, nice release to top the charts!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #339
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Breeding Pine Trees is producing their first single, entitle Wide World of Trout.

The main song on it, Meditations on Trout and Rectum, is expected to be an immediate hit. The bonus track of Ballad of Trout is nothing more than filler.

We'll see if this actually sells.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #340
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Breeding Pine Trees is producing their first single, entitle Wide World of Trout.

The main song on it, Meditations on Trout and Rectum, is expected to be an immediate hit. The bonus track of Ballad of Trout is nothing more than filler.

We'll see if this actually sells.

I $mell Lot$ of Dollar$!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:14 AM   #341
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Breeding Pine Trees will be a cash MACHINE!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
SI, nice release to top the charts!

Thanks. I was guessing a 40K release but this exceeded the band's wildest expectations

SI

Old 03-07-2005, 04:47 AM   #343
Tigercat
College Starter

They aren't doing a very good job of filtering out people with more than 2 bands, one guy has around 10 bands in Indie Rock alone.

People need to release more singles and albums in FOFC Live! we should have an unbelievable amount of releases by now.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #344
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Woohoo! Shovel Monkey is listed in the label description for Elitist Records!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #345
JeeberD
General Manager

Death to bbor is recording their first single. The A track is "Russian Bride" and the B track is "bbor is sad because there is no hockey."

Very few copies are expected to sell...

Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #346
Celeval
Pro Starter

Pocket Hooligans, a Celtic-punk group, is beginning to gather a following now that they've written a couple of songs. They may be looking for a label soon.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #347
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Death to bbor is recording their first single. The A track is "Russian Bride" and the B track is "bbor is sad because there is no hockey."

Very few copies are expected to sell...

You are some sorta bastard,you know that?

Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #348
JeeberD
General Manager

I cant help that I love you, bbor...

Old 03-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #349
McSweeny
College Starter

well my punk band just sold out it's initial single pressing of 4000 copies. Pressing another 10,000 this month. We don't need no stinkin' label
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #350
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
well my punk band just sold out it's initial single pressing of 4000 copies. Pressing another 10,000 this month. We don't need no stinkin' label

If you can sell albums without a label, why have a label?