Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #301
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just a heads up, Don (and other alts) will be out for about a week. Work trip is taking me to San Francisco for the next few days. Catch up with everyone next Tuesday or Wednesday.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #302
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Awww....take care, and don't take steriods while you're there. Don's big enough.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #303
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Hehe. Take care and we'll keep the home-fires burning.

We gobbled up a bunch of XP last night on PI, if only for a short time. Was good that we quit because I'm at the leading edge of a cold and the Alka Seltzer + that I took put me on the other side of groggy (the side where your desire for sleep is almost oppressive).

Hoping that we can grow the flock some. If that means letting in non-FOFCers, we will probably have to sit and have a Palaver because that kind of destroys the point of the group (emphasis on 'kind of').

Glad Streak is back.

We just need to get PV and Comet on at the same time as the rest of us and we should be good to go!
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #304
Bonegavel

dola,

they made more changes to Invuln tankers and put we regeners back to almost what we were. Don will now be mobile as Unyielding Stance is now called Unyielding. Things have been lowered, but the power is not rooted and it can be run with Temp Invulnerability.

I can't wait to take Ramble off the shelf when Issue 3 goes live to test it out.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #305
mtsouth
n00b

OK. I got on Victory last night and played some with my Sci/Def Nook M (Radiation based....could you guess?). I'm level 2 since I only got to play for an hour. Let me know what AT you guys need and I'll create a character for the group.
mtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #306
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Almost have Green Drake to 9, and possibly 10 tonight, which I think would be a nice improvement...

Fire/SS is definately not a true tank (though it might be because I'm lacking Healing Flames right now).

I envision Green Drake to be like a tougher scrapper...I like the class, but no AOEs, so he's more of a boss buster. I'm still waiting before I grab taunt just to see how this is all going to work.

More than likely, I'll be loading up on pool powers (it's sort of nice to grab the electives first, that way when you actually are high up, you are picking at things like hasten, and the like).

I will forego travel powers for a while, simply b/c so many teamates can TP.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #307
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsouth
OK. I got on Victory last night and played some with my Sci/Def Nook M (Radiation based....could you guess?). I'm level 2 since I only got to play for an hour. Let me know what AT you guys need and I'll create a character for the group.
Of the players that play often here are the ATs:

Project Virus: Spine Scrapper
Albino Claw: Claw Scrapper
Aucoin: Empathy Defender (Healer)
Silver Streak: Electric Blaster
Hangfire: Fire Blaster
Don the Baptist: Inv Tank
Gail-force: Gravity Controller
Cometflash: Rad Defender (oh where are you my cometflash?)

Miss anyone? Choose whatever AT will give you the most fun.

Last edited by gi : 12-08-2004 at 03:17 PM.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #308
mtsouth
n00b

Cool. Thanks for the info. Will try to look for you guys tonight. I'm thinking maybe a Tech Rifle Blaster would a nice change. Maybe something else.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #309
C.J.
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
If that means letting in non-FOFCers, we will probably have to sit and have a Palaver because that kind of destroys the point of the group (emphasis on 'kind of').

Hee hee hee! [Gail hides her shameful face.]

Last edited by C.J. : 12-08-2004 at 01:03 PM.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #310
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Hee hee hee! [Gail hides her shameful face.]
Hey, you are an official FOFCer now. Besides, you were sponsored by a member that knows you in the real world.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-08-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #311
C.J.
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Gail-Storm: Gravity Controller

Uhh...that's "Gail-Force", GI.
Silly sponser.

Last edited by C.J. : 12-08-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #312
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think we call you Gail, and many people don't get the "Gale Force" reference.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #313
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi

Project Virus: Spine Scrapper (off hour mega destroyer)
Albino Claw: Claw Scrapper (scrappy pale white ex 80's rock star)
Aucoin: Empathy Defender (Healer) (pretty boy who runs /and heals/)
Silver Streak: Electric Blaster (goatee'd benevolent zapper)
Hangfire: Fire Blaster (dies ALOT, I mean ALOT, but also goes BOOM)
Don the Baptist: Inv Tank (the man with the 3rd eye and zealous flock)
Gail-Storm: Gravity Controller (has more outfits than a Vegas show)
Cometflash: Rad Defender (Missed & M.I.A.)

Miss anyone? Choose whatever AT will give you the most fun.

Also Green Drake: Big Mean Green Tank
Old 12-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #314
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Uhh...that's "Gail-Force", GI.
Silly sponser.

Who are you again? Sorry....hard time remembering small people in this world....

Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #315
mtsouth
n00b

Is there something I can type to find out if you guys are online?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #316
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm not sure, but you could try giving one of us a tell:

/t , hey

like: "/t silver streak, hey"

We're on on Tuesday and Thursday nights about 8-11 EST (as per the title of the thread).
Old 12-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #317
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Is there something I can type to find out if you guys are online?

Add us to your friend list.

/friend name

example:

/friend aucoin

Have to do it for each one.

You will be notified if we are online and you can click the friend tab to keep track of us.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #318
JeeberD
General Manager

I've got some free time tonight, so I'm going to log on as Flaming Homer. I'll give y'all a yell if you don't mind a lowly level 12 hanging with you...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #319
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola- Errr...make that Homer J. Been too damn long and I've forgotten the names of my guys...

Old 12-09-2004, 05:19 AM   #320
mtsouth
n00b

Got my Mutant Mind Controller up to level 4 last night. Thought he would be a nice mix once he gets powered up. Between confusing baddies and using his force fields for protection, he is better in support than solo. Will try the friend thing tonight if I feel better. Dang cold/allergies/sinus crap.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:51 AM   #321
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Got my Mutant Mind Controller up to level 4 last night. Thought he would be a nice mix once he gets powered up. Between confusing baddies and using his force fields for protection, he is better in support than solo. Will try the friend thing tonight if I feel better. Dang cold/allergies/sinus crap.

What be your name?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #322
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Got my Mutant Mind Controller up to level 4 last night. Thought he would be a nice mix once he gets powered up. Between confusing baddies and using his force fields for protection, he is better in support than solo

This becomes even more true of controllers as you advance in levels, up until getting pets anyways - that is a long ways away from level 4. So I would definitely encourage you to either look us up or begin experimenting with random teams when you get some level of confidence built up about how to play your character. Speaking as a character who gets absolutely owned by mind control at later levels, I hope you have an equally big impact on our foes.

Looking forward to playing with you at some point. Also should be good to have Jeeber back in the fold.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #323
C.J.
n00b

Very true of controllers. They are quite challenging to play. Better suited for grouping early on, but soloing is not impossible. I'd say past level 34 is when you start to realize the power of a controller. Pets should be fully slotted at 34...then at 35 and 38 you get your final 2ndary powers.

I'm able to solo decent sized mobs of even or greater level with little threat of dying. At level 38, Gail-Force can take on a group of 6-8 level 41 minions, or a smaller group of 42's with maybe a LT or two. So +3 or +4 mobs are not too much trouble. Pretty good for an AT that's supposed to be a support character and deals very little damage compared to other AT's.

Some things that help me out aside from Singularities and my Thunderstorm power (and other controller goodies):

- 6 slotted stamina and health
- 6 slotted hasten
- Phase shift from the concealment power pool...this is my panic button. If the mobs are doing major damage to me, I can turn this on and be "untouchable" while my singularities and thunderstorm continue to attack.

BTW, Gail dinged to 39 last night. Epic power pools here I come.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #324
mtsouth
n00b

Mentallmo....yellow and black costume.

I know I've got a ways to go to catch up with you guys. I'm hoping at his peak that he can help turn the tide by using mind control to disable/confuse/turn enemies while using force fields to protect other teammates (deflection or insulation shields). Based on what I'm seeing, I won't get a pet.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:51 AM   #325
JeeberD
General Manager

It was fun hooking up with you guys again last night. I'm over halfway to level 14 now, and I might try to get there my myself this afternoon. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to join up with you (I usually get off of work on Tues and Thurs right around when y'all are logging off), but I'll try to make myself more available...

Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #326
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Mentallmo....yellow and black costume.

I know I've got a ways to go to catch up with you guys. I'm hoping at his peak that he can help turn the tide by using mind control to disable/confuse/turn enemies while using force fields to protect other teammates (deflection or insulation shields). Based on what I'm seeing, I won't get a pet.

If no one is on but us, I will be more than happy to help power level you. With my buffs and heals you should go through levels fast. Or I can bring on an alt to assist.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #327
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, City of Heroes includes a nice feature called sidekick that allows higher level guys to bring up a lower level character to effectively 2 levels lower than the high level guy.

New Hero: Level 5
Veteran Hero: Level 35
New Hero fights at Level 33 with Veteran Hero. Powers, health, all scale upwards, although you don't have the benefit of additional powers and slots that would accumulate with natural levels.

Aucoin is a very helpful character for keeping you alive while power-leveling, although he isn't going to be a ton of help bringing down the bad guys. You have to do that dirty work yourself when working with him.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #328
gi
College Prospect

Which is why SK'ing doesn't work very well when I am the highest level guy. We can try it again, but generally I've found you can earn more xp with me just following you around buffing and healing you. I'm open to anything though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Also, City of Heroes includes a nice feature called sidekick that allows higher level guys to bring up a lower level character to effectively 2 levels lower than the high level guy.

New Hero: Level 5
Veteran Hero: Level 35
New Hero fights at Level 33 with Veteran Hero. Powers, health, all scale upwards, although you don't have the benefit of additional powers and slots that would accumulate with natural levels.

Aucoin is a very helpful character for keeping you alive while power-leveling, although he isn't going to be a ton of help bringing down the bad guys. You have to do that dirty work yourself when working with him.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #329
Bonegavel

Sorry to say but I don't think Mind Controllers get pets. I got Silent Partner to level 14 and once I learned about pets I kind of put him in stasis. Still, Silent Partner is fun, but I've spent most of my time with Albino Claw trying to get him to 50.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #330
mtsouth
n00b

Cool. I'll try to get on early and "friend" everyone. I've completed two missions so far (clearing warehouse and stop painting thieves). I'll be on around 7:30 PM EST with a possible Joey break @ 8 and then back on for a bit after 8:30 depending on how I feel.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #331
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'll be on tonight with Streak, so I'll look for you guys; however, my son has a orchestra concert tonight at 7:00, with Survivor and the Apprentice on as well.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #332
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I'll be on tonight with Streak, so I'll look for you guys; however, my son has a orchestra concert tonight at 7:00, with Survivor and the Apprentice on as well.

Damn, looks like you're down for the count.

Hey, log into the game with streak, team up with me and let me remove some of your debt while you watch TV! I feel so guilty about your 1.6 million debt from last night.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #333
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Damn, looks like you're down for the count.

Hey, log into the game with streak, team up with me and let me remove some of your debt while you watch TV! I feel so guilty about your 1.6 million debt from last night.

Hey I'm a blaster, it's what I do. I wouldn't worry about it. I seem to remember getting you killed numerous times about a month and a half ago.

Shit happens, right? (was going to say stuff, but it just didn't sound right)
Old 12-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #334
Bonegavel

Quote:
Hey I'm a blaster, it's what I do. I wouldn't worry about it. I seem to remember getting you killed numerous times about a month and a half ago.

Shit happens, right? (was going to say stuff, but it just didn't sound right)

Shit happens indeed.

I wracked up about ~90k debt last night myself. Got it down into the 20s I think. We went on a rampage around the docks. That group was kickin' it yo!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #335
Raiders Army
Coordinator

And Mentallmo is a SG member...a GM of course.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #336
C.J.
n00b

Sweet night of SuperGroup gaming everyone. Sorry for the low missions I seem to still have. Glad Gail could be of some traveling help to Green Drake and Mentallmo.

Just was wondering about the Mind Control / no pets thing again. Pets are pretty powerful, I wonder what they did to balance Mind Control out so it has equal advantages, despite the fact that it doesn't have a pet. My only guess can be that Mind Control powers seem to do a lot of Psionic damage. Most of the defenses in this game protect against everything EXCEPT psionic damage. You'd figure the villans have the same restrictions on defense, so they're quite vulnerable to that form of damage.. Anyone else have any ideas? Just wondering why that's the only controller with no pets available (or even better, why does illusion get 2 pets and 1 pseudo pet.)
Old 12-10-2004, 07:11 AM   #337
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Sweet night of SuperGroup gaming everyone. Sorry for the low missions I seem to still have. Glad Gail could be of some traveling help to Green Drake and Mentallmo.

Just was wondering about the Mind Control / no pets thing again. Pets are pretty powerful, I wonder what they did to balance Mind Control out so it has equal advantages, despite the fact that it doesn't have a pet. My only guess can be that Mind Control powers seem to do a lot of Psionic damage. Most of the defenses in this game protect against everything EXCEPT psionic damage. You'd figure the villans have the same restrictions on defense, so they're quite vulnerable to that form of damage.. Anyone else have any ideas? Just wondering why that's the only controller with no pets available (or even better, why does illusion get 2 pets and 1 pseudo pet.)

For Illusion, I know it is balanced by the fact that the damage is not real and will heal after a little while.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #338
C.J.
n00b

Yes, but the damage doesn't seem to heal back fast enough to make it a real factor if you're persistent with attacking. And, even though the damage isn't "real" from illusion, foes can still die from it.

But for Mind Control, I suppose they also have a lot of powers to make villans attack each other. Nice because it "thins" the crowd out and weakens them...but drawback is you don't get XP from any kills that happen from that.

I'll have to pull up the hero planner and have a look at it again. I guess I'm so interested now mainly because I can't remember why I picked Gravity for Gail instead of something else.

Last edited by C.J. : 12-10-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #339
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Yes, but the damage doesn't seem to heal back fast enough to make it a real factor if you're persistent with attacking. And, even though the damage isn't "real" from illusion, foes can still die from it.

But for Mind Control, I suppose they also have a lot of powers to make villans attack each other. Nice because it "thin" the crowd out and weakens them...but drawback is you don't get XP from any kills that happen from that.

I'll have to pull up the hero planner and have a look at it again. I guess I'm so interested now mainly because I can't remember why I picked Gravity for Gail instead of something else.

The dam really does heal back fast. I'll bring on Maiden Io to show you.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #340
C.J.
n00b

strange. I can't seem to think of any "drawbacks" to any gravity powers other than Dimension Shift. Propel is kinda crappy because of slow activation time and the fact that it hits only one foe (you'd think throwing a car would affect everyone in an area, like a cone effect or something, but alas devs aren't always the brightest I guess).

Mind control is a curious type. Telekenisis looks very interesting.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #341
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

You should try all that stuff out on the test server, it makes for making less mistakes. Right now I think Green Drake is top heavy with damage sets, so I won't pick another offensive power for a while...

Hangfire is just going to chill for a bit, last night I just needed to bring him since everyone else was on.

I like Drake's concept, he's not an alpha build (a change for once). Yeah fire is popular, but not with the super strength build. I have to concentrate more on getting healing flames, and the fitness line, but I won't grab a true travel power till later in the game, I figure Gail can tp me (THANKS GAIL).
Old 12-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #342
mtsouth
n00b

Gail rocks. Thanks you for the tps.

I'm playing Metallmo slow and strategic, trying to find the strongest baddy and either hold or confuse him to keep him out of play while others cleanup. This works well soloing since the toughest one will usually do good damage against his pals once he's under my control. That allows me to pick off another one and/or help my new "friend" out. My next primary power will be Mass Hypnosis which puts a group of baddies to sleep until they are attacked. Not a bad opening power for a group since they can then focus attention on one or two partiuclar baddies while the others get some beauty rest. Combined with Force Fields (which can protect allies, isolate baddies, or remove them from melee range) and I'm really beginning to like the build. I can fire off four attacks in a row (confuse one target, followed by domination, levitate, then force bolt). A 4 on 1 situation can become 2 on 2 (me and confused ally) with domination making one helpless. Then it's a matter of picking apart the one my ally isn't attacking.

I'll be on tonight and this weekend....hopefully I can get to a level where I can actually contribute.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #343
hoopsguy
General Manager

Sounds like Metallmo will make for some new strategies for us. Good stuff. What level is he now?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #344
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Gail rocks. Thanks you for the tps.

I'm playing Metallmo slow and strategic, trying to find the strongest baddy and either hold or confuse him to keep him out of play while others cleanup. This works well soloing since the toughest one will usually do good damage against his pals once he's under my control. That allows me to pick off another one and/or help my new "friend" out. My next primary power will be Mass Hypnosis which puts a group of baddies to sleep until they are attacked. Not a bad opening power for a group since they can then focus attention on one or two partiuclar baddies while the others get some beauty rest. Combined with Force Fields (which can protect allies, isolate baddies, or remove them from melee range) and I'm really beginning to like the build. I can fire off four attacks in a row (confuse one target, followed by domination, levitate, then force bolt). A 4 on 1 situation can become 2 on 2 (me and confused ally) with domination making one helpless. Then it's a matter of picking apart the one my ally isn't attacking.

I'll be on tonight and this weekend....hopefully I can get to a level where I can actually contribute.

The only problem you might run into is that most of us have Area of Effect attacks that will hit all of your hypnotisted people and wake them up. FYI.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #345
mtsouth
n00b

I'm level 6.
GI - we'll need to coordinate. If I need to stick to holding/stopping 1 baddie, then I'm fine with that. If it's a boos/lt/minion battle, it might be worth it to sleep the lower guys and wail on the tougher guys with direct assault and then cut loose with AoE. Then again with FFs, I should be able to hold a tough opponent until the rest of the ruffians are cleaned up and then everyone can focus on the boss.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #346
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm level 6.
GI - we'll need to coordinate. If I need to stick to holding/stopping 1 baddie, then I'm fine with that. If it's a boos/lt/minion battle, it might be worth it to sleep the lower guys and wail on the tougher guys with direct assault and then cut loose with AoE. Then again with FFs, I should be able to hold a tough opponent until the rest of the ruffians are cleaned up and then everyone can focus on the boss.

Unfortunatly I will not be the one to talk to about that...I heal and buff mostly. The blasters and spine scrappers will give you the most headaches with mobs that wake upon first attack. From what I've seen, unless you have a real disciplined team, those powers are worthless.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #347
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hey gi, how's thunderous blast working for you? It works great for me!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #348
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Hey gi, how's thunderous blast working for you? It works great for me!

I only tested it on very low level mobs. The true test will come into play when I can use it on mobs 4+ levels higher than me. You know, the ones we normally attack.

I love it though...Pretty Boy Aucoin with a big blast....scary.....
Old 12-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #349
C.J.
n00b

No power is truely useless. You just need to get a strategy for using it. Believe me, I went through this with a number of my powers. (remember my accidental Dimension Shifts?)

As far as the mass sleep thing. It's possible to use that on mobs that are too close to each other...mass sleep the 2nd one while the team attacks the first one. Or if you need to get past a mob (maybe your mission door is right next to a group you don't want to fight). You'll come up with strategic ways to use it.

Last edited by C.J. : 12-10-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 PM   #350
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Unfortunatly I will not be the one to talk to about that...I heal and buff mostly. The blasters and spine scrappers will give you the most headaches with mobs that wake upon first attack. From what I've seen, unless you have a real disciplined team, those powers are worthless.

Stupid AOE blasters with fire!