Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #301
Samdari
Roster Filler

I have only played it for about 2 hours, unpatched, and I have this to say:

I am glad I bought this game.

Right now, FOF2004 is, without question, a better overall game. Still, what I found myself saying several times during those two hours was, "I wish FOF had this."

Yeah there are bugs, yeah there are unimplemented features. Yeah, its kind of like a paid beta. So is any MMOG, so are most games from any tiny independent developer.

Nonetheless, even though I am fairly certain I will end up playing this game less than I have already played FOF2004, I am glad this game has been produced (and released). There is enough there for me to think that this will somehow advance the genre.

What TPF does well, IMO:

1) Having become a convert to the church of completely fictional universes, I think that presentation is an important tool in becoming immersed in one. I think that it is difficult to become immersed in a universe of 2000 players thrown at me at once, all completely unfamiliar. Once I have played a few seasons, and know who my guys are, and who my hated enemies are, its not so hard, but I find it tough at the beginning in a random FOF universe. I find unknown universes in TPF easier to get into initially.

2) Related to above, I have more control over the first season, by simming an offseason first. It took only 10 minutes, doing coaching changes early in my first TPF offseason, to utter my first "I wish FOF had this." You have a greater chance to make your team truly yours quicker in TPF.

3) FOF2004 has the best draft implementation in that series. Yet TPF blows it away, at least in terms of "fun factor" of participating in the draft. If the draft AI proves weak, or the players decision making during it prove futile (i.e. feeling like its either a no-brainer from too many tells, or too much guesswork) this WOW feeling will quickly fade. The first time you draft, though, its certainly there.

4) The offensive/defensive/ST ratings spreadsheet type pages are awesome. I see them quickly becoming a must have for any text sim, not just football. It's true that I won't play the game if these ratings don't appear to correlate with on-field success, but they are definitely a "I wish FOF had this." feature. I feel it could be improved (from just listing each rating to listing each rating as now/future) but its still a better overview than anything in FOF.

Please do not accuse me of being a TPF/.400 fanboy for posting this, seemingly defending them. I am, in fact, exactly the opposite. While I try real hard to avoid fanboyism on all fronts, I am a fanboy of FOF if anything. Yet, I have long felt there were things that could be changed/improved in that game, and see some of my FOF wishlist in TPF.

So, congratulations to the guys at .400 for their ambition, and for hitting a fair number of their marks. Hopefully, the competition will have the effect many of us are hoping for: improving/expanding the genre. You have a lot of work to do on this version of this game, true, but I am excited about what the work you have done so far will mean for this and (hopefully) other games.

Last edited by Samdari : 12-29-2003 at 11:30 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 PM   #302
JasonC23
High School Varsity

I'm still stunned a pro football game was released without onside kicks and 2-point conversions. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still flabbergasted by this. Was there ever an official explanation of why these were left out of the initial release (not that any explanation would be good enough)?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari 3)Yet TPF blows it away, at least in terms of "fun factor" of participating in the draft.

I'm not picking on you Samdari, but I gotta ask a question -- what exactly is "fun" about a draft without trading up/down?

Hell, even with a pretty good draft setup for FOF2k4, that's the most involving part of the draft to me, the manuevering & such.

From what I can tell, both games offer some indication of player ability pre-draft, so I'm not sensing a major difference there.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm not trying to be funny (or cocky), I'm really asking -- what is it about the TPF draft that has you complimenting "the fun factor"?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:59 PM   #304
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jon, up until recent versions, draft day in FOF was very frustrating (remember the trade down bug?). But now, we cannot do many picks for picks trade or any of the other kind of non-player draft day trades. The fun factor, from what I perceive, is the immersion factor in having additional information analysis - beyond what the numbers present. Numbers don't tell the whole story (nor should they) and for some (or for just me), numbers are boring.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #305
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC23
I'm still stunned a pro football game was released without onside kicks and 2-point conversions. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still flabbergasted by this. Was there ever an official explanation of why these were left out of the initial release (not that any explanation would be good enough)?

Out of curiosity since I really have no idea one way or another, did the first installment of FOF have everything included or were there certain things missing?

For anyone who can answer could you please post anything that might have been left out of FOF1?

Thanks.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #306
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaFringe
Out of curiosity since I really have no idea one way or another, did the first installment of FOF have everything included or were there certain things missing?

For anyone who can answer could you please post anything that might have been left out of FOF1?

Thanks.

Nothing basic and it's not relevant. FOF was the first of it's kind more or less. TPF already had the blueprint...
Old 12-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #307
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
I'm not picking on you Samdari, but I gotta ask a question -- what exactly is "fun" about a draft without trading up/down?

Hell, even with a pretty good draft setup for FOF2k4, that's the most involving part of the draft to me, the manuevering & such.

From what I can tell, both games offer some indication of player ability pre-draft, so I'm not sensing a major difference there.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm not trying to be funny (or cocky), I'm really asking -- what is it about the TPF draft that has you complimenting "the fun factor"?

Don't worry, it reads like an honest question.

The immersiveness of it is fun for me. The way its presented makes the player (errr, me anyway) feel like they are at MSG picking real players for their team. The text evaluation from your scout adds a lot in my opinion, as does the mock draft, as does tracking college players all year. I guess feel is the biggest difference here, as the FOF draft feels very wooden to me and completely isolated from the rest of the game. Your mileage (i.e. how it feels to you) may vary.

Have you played TPF at all? I would be shocked if someone who had played it had asked what the difference is in the draft between the two games. Again, not meant as a criticism, just curiosity.

I don't feel that FOF2004 trades during the draft are all that realistic (its SO hard to do without including a player). Since I don't feel they are implemented that well in FOF2004, I rarely try to make such trades anymore, thus I don't miss them in TPF. I'd rather they were left out than done poorly.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #308
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
Nothing basic and it's not relevant. FOF was the first of it's kind more or less. TPF already had the blueprint...

I agree now that TPF had the blueprint (except that it had to be different) but FOF was based on Baseball (and Football?) Mogul and FPS before that.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #309
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I have my FOF1 disk actually, so I could check before the end of the day. The issue that .400 (or anyone else developing a game in a genre that already has a solid entry) faces is that the "competition" isn't FOF1, but FOF5. Those who are going to only buy one football text sim are going to decide between TPF and FOF5, not TPF and FOF1. It isn't necessarily "fair" but it is reality.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:22 PM   #310
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:

Thanks.

This is going from memory:

* No switching teams.
* Only 2 players and/or draft picks could be used on either side of a trade.
* Only current year picks could be traded.
* Free agency was far simpler; basically you could sign anyone you want if you met his demands.
* One minimum salary for all players (i.e. if the minimum salary is $200,000, then you could sign a 10-year veteran for that price).
* Ryan Leaf turned out to be a stud QB far more often than not.

Not meant to be an exhaustive list, just things I could think of.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:30 PM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari Have you played TPF at all?

Nope. As I mentioned in some thread or the other, another NFL sim held limited interest for me to begin with. One that had so manimagine we're just doing something different in the trady, IMO, glaring omissions to the release hald zero chance of getting any of my gaming budget.

But it's a fair question.

Quote:
(its SO hard to do without including a player).

Really? I rarely, if ever, include a player on draft day and routinely swap half or more of my picks. It's not really unusual for me to go through an entire draft without using a single pick of my own.

I don't doubt you in the least, I imagine we're just doing something different in the trading process.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #312
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:

Thanks.

As far as I can recall, FOF has never left out basic football "features" such as the 2-point conversion. I have played all versions of FOF, and never do I recall noticing something was missing and thinking to myself, "Wow, without that, this isn't football." Not having 2-point conversions means that TPF, despite its name, is not simulating pro football.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #313
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
(its SO hard to do without including a player)

I'm always curious when people say this. I never have a problem trading picks for picks. I do it all of the time. In my current career, I'm in year 20, and I think I've traded 2 players the entire time and I trade picks every year during the draft.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:27 PM   #314
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I can trade picks too, but it seems like a rather one sided trade to me most of the time. Not in my direction..

I only do it when I'm cap-strapped and need to NOT pay a first rounder. So I'll trade that pick and go waaaaaaay back for multiple picks. That's not hard.

But if I want to get up to the #1 overall, for instance, because somebody unbelievable is sitting there, I just can't get that pick without a player. I've even offered two current #1s and next years #1 plus a #2 and no bite. I don't say this is totally unreasonable, because #1s have gone for more than that .. (thanks, Mike Ditka). But I do say that making some trades on draft day is impossible without a player.

Last edited by Sidhe : 12-29-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:32 PM   #315
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
I don't have the game (and won't, I won't be supporting .400 anytime in the near future) but check out the_herd's recap of his first draft earlier in this thread. There are a lot of good things in there.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:02 PM   #316
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

What I've concluded is that TPF is not a serious pro football simulation. Anybody who was making a serious pro football simulation would have enough respect for the game to include the basics, like trading, onside kicks, 2 point conversions, fake kicks and punts, etc. I see TPF as sort of a bridge between the Madden-type games and FOF, and it appears to me their target audience is the Madden crowd. It's a text football sim for the MTV generation. That's just my opinon.

....and the argument that the basics of football will be added in "future patches" doesn't work for me, because all that tells me is the company intentionally rushed an unfinished product out the door in order to take advantage of people who are looser with their money during christmas. So rather than making me think differently, the "future patch" argument makes me think less of the company.

yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #317
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by yabanci
What I've concluded is that TPF is not a serious pro football simulation. Anybody who was making a serious pro football simulation would have enough respect for the game to include the basics, like trading, onside kicks, 2 point conversions, fake kicks and punts, etc. I see TPF as sort of a bridge between the Madden-type games and FOF, and it appears to me their target audience is the Madden crowd. It's a text football sim for the MTV generation. That's just my opinon.

....and the argument that the basics of football will be added in "future patches" doesn't work for me, because all that tells me is the company intentionally rushed an unfinished product out the door in order to take advantage of people who are looser with their money during christmas. So rather than making me think differently, the "future patch" argument makes me think less of the company.

yab, you are mixing metaphores again. While I don't disagree with some of the points you made, your definition of a serious pro football simulation seems to fall into the usual trap of including everything. For example, in my definition a serious pro football sim would not include PBP (that belongs in arcade games). But how many others would agree with that? It all comes down to what we want out of a game and any of those emphases would be just as important or serious as the others. To me, I only judge a game whether it would be fun for me to play. Who puts it out or the release history or what others want one to be convinced of are meaning less and less.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #318
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As far as draft pick trades in FOF, I also complete pick for pick trades all of the time. Obviously the game values picks, and if you want to move up significantly, you have to give good value, but I really enjoy the challenge of moving up in the draft. I only move up for a player who I believe is going to be really special or in later rounds I will move up a few slots for a player who will likely start as a rookie. Looking at the various charts for values of a draft pick that have been posted on the board before, I don't believe FOF is that unreasonable at all in it's draft day trading routines.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:53 PM   #319
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I didn't say it has to include everything. I said it should include the basics of pro football to be considered -- in my opinion -- a serious pro football simulation.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 AM   #320
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

still trying to get an answer on the 400 forum regarding the number of plays participated in by a player. No where is it listed how many running or passing plays a player was in for.

IOW, you could have 2 LBs both with 10 tackles and 2 sacks. They look equal, but the player stat card doesn't show how many plays were involved, so this number is useless. Ok, he has 10 tackles... is that from 1,000 times on the field or 10?

THIS NEEDS TO BE IN!

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-30-2003 at 01:36 AM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:39 AM   #321
Thadaleus
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, I don't get it.

I understand that TPF is missing some key components, agreed.
I can live with them. Stat-wise, I do fictional players.. and fictional teams.. so I only compare the stats.. to previous years only.

Bug-finders are the saving grace for all software, including those who only know how to post their discoveries in flames.
I work in software support, so I know the whole 9 yards about features.. every feature missing is "HUGE" to someone.
But again, I agree.. 2-point conversions.. and AI Trading is a must.

What I don't get is the negative response. So many negative posts.. not enough constructive posts.

Those that read.. "The finished game should have 2 point conversions, and I won't buy it until then." are perfect.

Those that read like Arlie has a grudge against 2 point conversions and is taking it out on YOU, are just plain ridiculous.

In November, I ordered a birthday cake with Barbie on it for my 7 year old daughter. When I picked it up, the name was spelled wrong. I pointed it out nicely, and believe it or not.. the fixed it, as quickly as they could.

I think it is certainly fair to expect 2 point conversions, AI trading, and many of the other things reported to be in TPF, and I don't think it will be long before you see them.

Just my 2 pennies.
Thadaleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #322
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It’s simple, Thad. Some folks here were 1) anxious to see TPF/400 “fail” so they can pounce on them with their biased and predetermined mindset and 2) eager to drive home that point by buying it right away to declare its failure.

The game was without a doubt released too early (imo) so the best thing would have been to wait, let them complete the game and then determine if it’s for you or not. Whatever financial and business decisions compelled them to release when they did does not mean that we had to go along with that. If it means waiting until several patches or even to the next version, so be it. We were not forced to buy it. The message comes across the same regardless.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:56 AM   #323
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I was anxious to see the game be the best Pro Football text sim made to date. I bought it the first day and haven't returned it and never planned on returning it. I have also posted positive comments over on 400's forums. There are parts of the game that are awesome and there are parts that are lacking and there are parts that are frustrating.

I am excited to both wait and see what the patches bring us and to see what they will do with the next version. It is a very solid start to a franchise.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:39 PM   #324
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Thadaleus

In November, I ordered a birthday cake with Barbie on it for my 7 year old daughter. When I picked it up, the name was spelled wrong. I pointed it out nicely, and believe it or not.. the fixed it, as quickly as they could.

I get your point, and mostly agree except this analogy doesn't really apply to anything. I highly doubt the person who made your daughter's cake debated whether to spell her name wrong or not. 400ss did decide they were leaving certain things out despite being parts of the game you'd think were no brainers. If a game has RFA's, what seems to be a more elaborate draft, tons of different incentive/contract options... Naturally you're gonna think everything else is there that is considered 'below' that.

That's just common sense, that's not anyone expecting too much, and 'being a first generation game' is no excuse for that either. So there is absolutely no defense for that. Nobody bakes a cake without cake mix, or builds a house without doors and windows.

I understand you're saying they can be fixed, but you'd be a little irked too if you knew something that is expected is intentionally left out.

And this isn't a bash on 400ss or anything. I'm sure they'll get everything worked out and everything will be solid eventually. I just certainly won't be an early buyer on any of there products.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:17 PM   #325
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
It’s simple, Thad. Some folks here were 1) anxious to see TPF/400 “fail” so they can pounce on them with their biased and predetermined mindset and 2) eager to drive home that point by buying it right away to declare its failure.

Excellent point!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #326
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Canadian
Excellent point!
Agreed.

However remember that it is highly likely that those people are going to be out there, no matter what Buc, I, any FOFCer, or any of y'all at .400 say or do.

The .400 staff needs to realize that these guys don't "represent" FOFC, but themselves as individuals. Being that this is an independent forum that is very loosely moderated (despite what some like to think), it is a loosely-knit collection of individuals with WIDELY varying opinions. No one speaks for this forum as a whole--not the 400 fanboys who participate here, not the 400 haters who participate here, not those giving good, honest feedback, and not even me as "H.N.I.C" .

This isn't meant to pick on you individually, Joe, but lately I've been getting a vibe from the .400 staff of frustration with FOFC. Y'all need to remember that it is extremely unfair to lump everyone that participates here together. It is understandable if you have some frustrations--but your frustration should be with individuals and not at FOFC as a whole.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #327
The_herd
College Starter

Another reason I'm enjoying the game at times.

I start the season with hopes of a playoff run and after a decent start things start to turn ugly. As I sift through my team contemplating some players to put in to provide a spark, I look at my starting QB and it has this as a comment on his card:

Quote:
John Thomas apparently isn't getting along with some of his teammates, and rifts are developing in the locker room.

He is rated at "High" for character risk. Now I'm learning the effects of having such players on your team.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #328
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Agreed.

However remember that it is highly likely that those people are going to be out there, no matter what Buc, I, any FOFCer, or any of y'all at .400 say or do.

The .400 staff needs to realize that these guys don't "represent" FOFC, but themselves as individuals. Being that this is an independent forum that is very loosely moderated (despite what some like to think), it is a loosely-knit collection of individuals with WIDELY varying opinions. No one speaks for this forum as a whole--not the 400 fanboys who participate here, not the 400 haters who participate here, not those giving good, honest feedback, and not even me as "H.N.I.C" .

This isn't meant to pick on you individually, Joe, but lately I've been getting a vibe from the .400 staff of frustration with FOFC. Y'all need to remember that it is extremely unfair to lump everyone that participates here together. It is understandable if you have some frustrations--but your frustration should be with individuals and not at FOFC as a whole.

Well said.

There are some of us you haven't been hearing from - not because we like the game or do not like the game, but because we haven't bought it yet. I'm willing to give it a fair shake, but with FOF and ITP taking up my gaming time, I just haven't had a chance. I'll let the next patch work itself through, then make a decision on when to purchase.

Don't assume that just because you're getting largely negative responses from this board, that everyone feels the same way. You guys are no different than a typical retail store - for every few vocal complaints, there are likely numbers of satisfied customers who don't feel the need to speak up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:10 PM   #329
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I love the draft. I really do. I think it's immersive. I think it's suspenseful. I think it's great.

Bidding on FA's is extremely iffy. You'll have the only bid on them, and they won't sign. Look around after training camp, and they're still FA's. Rookie FA's they said were fixed in the last patch. They're not. Still a 30k max signing bonus for them, though I did actually get one that another team was offering a job to. That was a first.

I'm seeing RTE 91 in my sleep. RTE 43 is making a strong push for some time though. It's just riddled with errors. I won't even get into the penalties and what happens with them. Actually, that doesn't effect me a whole lot. I play the role of the GM. I sim all the games. I figure, if it's borked for me, it's borked for the other guys too. Still, I think if I watched the games, I'd be infuriated.

My latest career lasted all of 3 years. That is, 35 years of pre-career simming to get a league history, and 2.2 seasons of my playing. It seems there is a corrupt player. He keeps appearing on Indy's roster, but it a FA. I can't delete him. When I take control of Indy, I can't cut him, because he's a FA. I tried to move him on to Indy with a contract, using the Commish mode. It said he was on KC instead. The only thing I can do is every week, swap over to Indy, and move him on to the inactive list. It's infuriating.

That is just the latest in a string of non-stop errors.

I posted yesterday I was returning it. I have, however, had it longer than 7 days. There's a game I really want to play here. Right now, it's the draft. Hopefully, the rest of the game will shape up too. That is, if they ever get the career killing errors to stop.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #330
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Agreed.

I completely understand that Ben, and I'm don't hold any ill will to my fellow FOFC members... in fact I come here everyday, and enjoy it immensley.

I agree 100%, that lumping everyone at FOF together is unneeded and unfair. As you said it's individuals that act like this, not the entire FOFC Community.

All I can say to these select individuals is this: Does TPF need work, yes. But you can rest assured that everyone at .400 is working hard to make TPF even better than it already is (and IMO it's already a pretty great game). Obviously some people have problems with certain areas of TPF, and my best suggestion is to post what the problem / lacking feature is and suggest what you'd like in it's place.

It doesn't benefit anyone when people just say this and that sucks. If you have a suggestion we are more that willing to look at it...

I've read countless suggestions here and at other boards that I'd love to see incorperated into any and all sports sims... and these (suggestions) are the needed input that will make the genre as a whole develop more and more. Simple bashing of individuals, games, and companies benefits no one.

Peace,
Steve Davis
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #331
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I don't know if I am being consider among these folks or what, but I bought the game expecting to get completed football sim not version 0.5

I will re-purchase this game once the bugs are fixed and the game is completed. However at this time my $35 are better spent elsewhere.

EDIT: If this game at this point had onside kicks, two-point conversions, and some sort of AI trading I would have not asked for a refund.

Last edited by Balldog : 12-30-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:47 PM   #332
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Canadian
I completely understand that Ben, and I'm don't hold any ill will to my fellow FOFC members... in fact I come here everyday, and enjoy it immensley.

I agree 100%, that lumping everyone at FOF together is unneeded and unfair. As you said it's individuals that act like this, not the entire FOFC Community.

All I can say to these select individuals is this: Does TPF need work, yes. But you can rest assured that everyone at .400 is working hard to make TPF even better than it already is (and IMO it's already a pretty great game). Obviously some people have problems with certain areas of TPF, and my best suggestion is to post what the problem / lacking feature is and suggest what you'd like in it's place.

It doesn't benefit anyone when people just say this and that sucks. If you have a suggestion we are more that willing to look at it...

I've read countless suggestions here and at other boards that I'd love to see incorperated into any and all sports sims... and these (suggestions) are the needed input that will make the genre as a whole develop more and more. Simple bashing of individuals, games, and companies benefits no one.

Peace,
Steve Davis
Cool. Sounds like at least you and I are on the same page then almost completely. The only exception is your parenthetical notation about your current opinion of TPF. I'd characterize it as "a game with enormous potential that needs some work in order to fulfill it." That being said, I'm confident that Arlie is committed to making this the best game he can.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:53 PM   #333
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Does this mean in your previous analogy the blonde you saw as you walked up closer ended up with buckteeth and was in dire need of dental work?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:45 PM   #334
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
Does this mean in your previous analogy the blonde you saw as you walked up closer ended up with buckteeth and was in dire need of dental work?

or was missing some standard parts?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #335
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

No, she's more of a gangling pre-teen that had her coming out too early. She needed more work on her teeth, her hair, her manners and her character. I'm waiting while she grows up.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:06 PM   #336
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Nah. She's still a good 25-30 yards away. Once she gets closer, then we'll all know for sure.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #337
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Nah. She's still a good 25-30 yards away. Once she gets closer, then we'll all know for sure.

So you're saying she's a little late for her date with you. She may still be something special, but she should have been there on December 21st.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:20 PM   #338
Buccaneer
Head Coach

No, she just scheduled the time of the date too early.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-31-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:23 PM   #339
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

We all know that women are never ready when they say they will be.

And the fact that we've already dated a few of this particular girl's sisters (a couple of which were really late), should make this less of a surprise.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:09 AM   #340
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

She's here, but missing a few features like hair, fake boobs, and a toe or two.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:00 PM   #341
Thadaleus
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
She's here, but missing a few features like hair, fake boobs, and a toe or two.

Todd

So I can sum up all of this by saying..

Does this girl really need hair, fake boobs, and all her toes, if..

She can make a complete Barbie Cake, WITH 2 point conversions, before a rushed release date, with QB numbers that jive?

Or did I miss something?
Thadaleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #342
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Thadaleus
So I can sum up all of this by saying..

Does this girl really need hair, fake boobs, and all her toes, if..

She can make a complete Barbie Cake, WITH 2 point conversions, before a rushed release date, with QB numbers that jive?

Or did I miss something?
There are some weird people participating in this thread.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #343
JasonC23
High School Varsity

To try and get this back on track...

When patch 1.2 is released, please let us know how the game is playing.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #344
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC23
To try and get this back on track...

When patch 1.2 is released, please let us know how the game is playing.

From what I'm hearing, 1.2 is going to be a fairly large patch (no idea how accurate that is). So hopefully it can get the needed fixes in there and get some badly needed tweaks done to the statistical engine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this patch turns out.

Last edited by The_herd : 01-01-2004 at 09:14 AM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #345
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm eager to buy but not until I see more of a complete set of GM features. But I'm afraid coaching details will again take priority.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #346
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
I'm eager to buy but not until I see more of a complete set of GM features. But I'm afraid coaching details will again take priority.

I don't really concern myself with the coaching details. I let the coordinators handle it. The biggest gripe I have from the coaching part is there really needs to be a more user friendly way to set up the depth chart. The "Suggest" button for the depth chart isn't working as intended (at least I hope that isn't how its intended to work). It won't fill in empty spots on your depth chart by playing guys out of position. So if I have a backup center get injured, it won't put my 3rd guard there for in order to give me a valid lineup, instead it leaves it empty and I'm often searching around for the position that I need to fill in order to advance. The suggest feature also seems to override any players I "lock" into a position, another pain that needs to be looked at.

The other problem with it is the save button on the depth chart. Sounds simple enough, but about the 5th time you exit the depth chart without saving it and need to go back and do ALL the changes over again, you're gonna want to punch your monitor. It needs to save by default when exiting and offer a cancel button in case you dont' like what you did and want to start over.

I haven't gotten a great feel for the actual gameplanning part yet. Something I need to try out more to see if I get better results by setting it myself. I take the role of GM and let the coordinators handle the coaching part and it really doesn't look like its hurt my team.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #347
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
There are some of us you haven't been hearing from - not because we like the game or do not like the game, but because we haven't bought it yet. I'm willing to give it a fair shake, but with FOF and ITP taking up my gaming time, I just haven't had a chance. I'll let the next patch work itself through, then make a decision on when to purchase.

Echoed.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #348
Easy Mac

Unlike Buccaneer, I'm just waiting for a demo. I don't feel like buying a game and returning it (sorry FOF2001/2? and TDCB). Give me a 3 day demo to work through it for a few seasons and I think I can get a more accurate picture of whether I'll like it instead of having to listen to the fanboys tell me nothing and the flamers tell me nothing about the game.

Oh, but I can say I'll buy TPBaseball right off, I loved Puresim, but I never had the computer to run it until now.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #349
akw4572
n00b

I waited patiently for TPF to be released and held off buying FOF. Needless to say, I now have both, and am playing FOF more. I like in game control, which tpf is lacking alot in. I hope both continue to improve, I'll probably buy both in the future.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:54 PM   #350
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Oh, but I can say I'll buy TPBaseball right off, I loved Puresim, but I never had the computer to run it until now.

As much as I played the heck out of the original PureSim and have seen Shaun's quality development and support as far back as the BBEdit days, I can't say TPBaseball will be a blind purchase as was TPF.

Fool me once, shame on you... as the saying goes.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote