Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #301
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Go ahead, draft Mixion and convert him to SE. What can it hurt?

I don't think we want to. His leadership is too high and I'm afraid we'd be stuck with him as a positional leader and be forced to start him.

That's one reason I think we've moved away from the RB conversion idea and moved back to the true WR concept.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #302
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Well, looking at the guys on the team already, Percy Rapp (232) would not be able to convert, but Howie Boyd (225) would. So I'd guess the limit would be either 225 or 230.

Cuervo - Any LB's out there who:

1) Are between 210 and 225lbs.
2) Don't have high leadership
3) Are not chemistry excluded
4) noticeably "better" than available safeties
Old 10-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #303
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since we are experimenting, I am fine with drafting a LB (good at coverage, I expect) and converting him to safety. The worse that will happen is that it won't work and we will have to pick up a S from FA.

Make sure that you pick a really light one, too.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 AM   #304
cuervo72
Head Coach

Who's running the draft now that Quik is gone for a couple of days?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:50 AM   #305
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Cuervo - Any LB's out there who:

1) Are between 210 and 225lbs.
2) Don't have high leadership
3) Are not chemistry excluded
4) noticeably "better" than available safeties

I think the top candidate would be SILB Preston Hillard, 6-0 228, California. 5 leadership, Scorpio.

22/51 RD, 11/24 PRT, 6/17 MTM, 22/58 Z, 27/70 B&R, 70 PRS, 12/28 PD, 30 PH, 51/58 END, 51/55 ST. Hmm, well liked by fans.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #306
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Who's running the draft now that Quik is gone for a couple of days?

Who has access to the game during the day?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #307
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the top candidate would be SILB Preston Hillard, 6-0 228, California. 5 leadership, Scorpio.

22/51 RD, 11/24 PRT, 6/17 MTM, 22/58 Z, 27/70 B&R, 70 PRS, 12/28 PD, 30 PH, 51/58 END, 51/55 ST. Hmm, well liked by fans.

Might he be too heavy at 228?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:55 AM   #308
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Might he be too heavy at 228?

I see a FA safety out there who is 231, and Dixon Wages of the Supernovas (quick player search) is 227. There's a 228, and another 227...I think we'd be ok. If not, we'd have a good pass rushing LB

Um, and I obviously have access...I'd assume Fritz usually does too.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #309
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I have access, but prefer not to do this part unless it is our only option.

When running a "phase" of the game the person doing the actions has extra influance on the team. My time for that is during the season.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #310
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cool--I say draft away, Cuervo.

And pick up the LB. If he can't convert, we'll deal with that when the time comes.

"We're looking into the Flyer's day 2 war room, and it appears that the only person there is an assistant scout with a bottle of tequila. What do you think this means, Mel?"

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-09-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #311
cuervo72
Head Coach

Which is why I'm reluctant as well. But I can do it if need be. So are we chosing Hillard over Mixon then and switching him to SS?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:11 AM   #312
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Which is why I'm reluctant as well. But I can do it if need be. So are we chosing Hillard over Mixon then and switching him to SS?

I'd like to try that, yes.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:11 AM   #313
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I would like to suggest TE Antoine Coble.

He is not much of a TE, and a liability in the Goal Line formation, but he is very good on ST. I have no idea how STs work in FOF, but I presume having a player good at is is something you should look for.

SE Nolan Irwin - affinity with Diana. Can KR/PR for us this season as he devs into a decent backup. Low Leadership. Perfect fit.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #314
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I would like to suggest TE Antoine Coble.

He is not much of a TE, and a liability in the Goal Line formation, but he is very good on ST. I have no idea how STs work in FOF, but I presume having a player good at is is something you should look for.

SE Nolan Irwin - affinity with Diana. Can KR/PR for us this season as he devs into a decent backup. Low Leadership. Perfect fit.

For this pick or the next? Keeping in mind of course that they might not be there next round. Do we think we can put off our S experiment for a round (and if Hillard isn't there, see if Mixon still is)? Which one of these two would you prefer?

edit: Coble's special teams ability is attractive. Heck, I wonder if he could switch to DE...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #315
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Irwin will not last a round, so now is the time if we want to go that route.

The TE should not come before a WR or S as we can still put Wayne under contract. His ST is not as good, but he is a better blocker and part of some 2 TE sets.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:29 AM   #316
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, I've got my mind made up then....bear with me for a bit.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #317
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, the man with the bottle decided to push a few buttons, and here are how things turned out:

Code:
186. Kitty Hawk - Irwin, Nolan, WR, West Virginia 187. Cheyenne - Gaylor, Andy, T, Minnesota 188. Lake Erie - Madison, Jake, G, San Diego State 189. Nashua - Scroggins, Horace, T, Duke 190. Sault Ste. Marie - Kocher, Ben, CB, Alabama 191. Mazatlan - Keith, Quinn, T, Kent 192. Fort Knox - Cochrane, Joel, WR, Vanderbilt 193. Mazatlan - Hastings, Frank, TE, Auburn 194. Ocean City - Etaton, Nathan, DE, Texas A&M 195. Niagara Falls - Noyeaux, Hugh, S, Arizona 196. Thunder Bay - Jeffries, Carlton, DE, Minnesota 197. Fort Wayne - Cline, Charles, OLB, North Texas 198. Wheeling - Arangure, Tony, WR, Oklahoma 199. Champaign - Coble, Antoine, TE, Baylor 200. Tulsa - Palmer, Kelvin, DT, Florida State 201. Ypsilanti - Dimry, Alonzo, WR, Texas Christian 202. Providence - Bessette, Vince, CB, Colorado State 203. Norfolk - Farmer, Andre, OLB, Colorado State 204. Tijuana - Pupunu, Josh, G, Washington 205. Sacramento - Hernandez, J.T., DT, Wyoming 206. Niagara Falls - Watson, Lonnie, S, Baylor 207. Athens - Buntain, Joe, CB, Toledo 208. Texarkana - Thornton, Frankie, C, Illinois 209. Pensacola - Madison, Tito, S, Louisville 210. Napa Valley - Scarborough, Teddy, FB, Georgetown 211. Texarkana - Cote, Clark, WR, Colorado State 212. Manhattan - Hudson, Donovan, CB, Georgia 213. Death Valley - Marsh, O.J., OLB, Houston 214. Puget Sound - Howe, Maurice, DT, Iona 215. Louisville - Reiter, Jose, WR, Purdue 216. Little Rock - Lombard, Chad, P, Utah 217. Hawk Mountain - Shaw, K.C., P, Utah 218. Memphis - Withrow, Amos, P, Utah State 219. Cheyenne - Galloway, Casey, OLB, Rutgers 220. Lake Erie - Williamson, Thomas, DE, Florida 221. Tijuana - Davis, Orlando, C, Wake Forest 222. Sault Ste. Marie - Ashraf, Johnny, P, Navy 223. Kitty Hawk - Hillard, Preston, ILB, California 224. Fort Knox - Beadnell, Daryl, QB, Illinois

Made an educated guess and got the OC his wide reciever and DC his converted S. Eric Mixon went undrafted, and is waiting to be picked up with everyone's blessing. Preston Hillard made the transition to SS, which reduced his stats to 7/41, which is ok I suppose.

edit: I hope I'm not responsible for getting Hillard's name on his jersey, because I can't get the spelling straight....

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #318
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I feel very good about our posture at WR. We have a couple of playmakers, a mentor, and a couple of guys to develop.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:56 AM   #319
cuervo72
Head Coach

How do we handle picking up FA rookies? Should I go ahead and pickup Mixon, or should I just post the updated files first?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #320
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm fine with you picking up what is out there.

If there is any LB who has freakish blitz ability, I would not mind picking him up just to give him a look-see.

ditto with any safety out there that may be worth bringing into camp.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:03 AM   #321
cuervo72
Head Coach

Other needs? Fritz, is there a QB that catches your eye?

Yikes...did the bottom drop out on Kowalski before or after the draft? He's now listed at 19/19 on the roster screen.

Hmm, Ted Rivers has a good pass rush strength. He might be a pickup. Not much to be had in the secondary.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #322
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Other needs? Fritz, is there a QB that catches your eye?

Yikes...did the bottom drop out on Kowalski before or after the draft? He's now listed at 19/19 on the roster screen.

Hmm, Ted Rivers has a good pass rush strength. He might be a pickup. Not much to be had in the secondary.

thats Kowalski for ya.

Can you post updated files?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #323
cuervo72
Head Coach

Here goes nothing:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #324
cuervo72
Head Coach

File #2:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 AM   #325
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Per discussions with Quik (above somewhere), we can resign TE Wayne and G Peterson at their asking prices.

We can either resign P Van Saldana for 3 years (what I would do) or pick up P K.C. Cash out of FA for a year.

QB Tyrell Browning would be an okay pickup (we need one more)

FB Peter Robertson would be a good pickup for Camp (almost sure to be cut)

FL J.R. Leslie would be a good camp guy

RG Karl Preston would be an excellent developmental player.

----

MLB Kerry Satterlee might interest the D
Old 10-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #326
cuervo72
Head Coach

Those 8 would bring us to 50 under contract. I'd add Mixon and Rivers (or Kurt Moe, again the ST factor) to that, which would fill us out at 60.

OR, if we needed to try another S conversion (we have 5 CB and 4 S, so we might be fine anyway), we can try Grady Yamashita.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:02 PM   #327
Buzzbee
College Starter

I don't think we want to pick up Mixon. His high leadership just makes him dangerous. And we aren't hurting for RB's.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 PM   #328
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola - My vote at P would be to re-sign P Saldana. He did a very good job last year with high avg. and good numbers inside the 20.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #329
cuervo72
Head Coach

I was still thinking in terms of switching him to WR, but I guess we have enough now. We can pick up Rivers, Moe and Yamashita in that case along with Fritz' list.

I'm going to unofficially see how he transistions though to satisfy my curiosity (or I could just do that and then dump him anyway, I don't think there's a rule about that, is there? I mean, he is a rookie FA.)....

edit: Actually, is there anything against signing him, switching the position, reporting the results and then determining if we want to bring him to camp? Besides possibly screwing up the guy's career?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #330
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I was still thinking in terms of switching him to WR, but I guess we have enough now. We can pick up Rivers, Moe and Yamashita in that case along with Fritz' list.

I'm going to unofficially see how he transistions though to satisfy my curiosity (or I could just do that and then dump him anyway, I don't think there's a rule about that, is there? I mean, he is a rookie FA.)....

I think we are in worse shape with receivers in terms of leadership. Diana is the leader with 64 (I think). So, any TE's or WR's you sign out of FA, make sure they have leadership below 60 (just to be safe).

Also, of the FA's you sign, I don't know if Fritz looked at chemistry, so you might want to make a quick check.

Thanks for filling in Cuervo. I'll throw in a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's Dark Rum for you (unless you'd prefer a bottle of Two Fingers Tequila).

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-09-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #331
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
edit: Actually, is there anything against signing him, switching the position, reporting the results and then determining if we want to bring him to camp? Besides possibly screwing up the guy's career?

Technically I don't think there is anything against that, but the problem is that if we sign him his high leadership (when compared to our backfield and receivers leaders) makes it a risk that he will be deemed a position leader. If he is tagged with that moniker, then we are, by our rules, disallowed from cutting him.

QS and I discussed how the positional leaders are determined and we decided that the pure leadership number is not the only factor. We believe that the leadership rating, coupled with experience on the team helps determine the leader.

Any player who has a higher leadership and more experience on the team will be the positional leader. However, a person with higher leadership and less "team" experience may be passed over for a player with slightly lower leadership but more "team" experience.

That was the general idea we came up with.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #332
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I think we are in worse shape with receivers in terms of leadership. Diana is the leader with 64 (I think). So, any TE's or WR's you sign out of FA, make sure they have leadership below 60 (just to be safe).

Also, of the FA's you sign, I don't know if Fritz looked at chemistry, so you might want to make a quick check.

Thanks for filling in Cuervo. I'll throw in a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's Dark Rum for you (unless you'd prefer a bottle of Two Fingers Tequila).

Sigh. Yes, I guess you're right. But just for the record, I have *tentatively* signed Mixon to a minimum 1-year deal. He has transitioned to SE at 18/48, and has some interesting nubmers - only 2/16 for avoiding drops, 59/96 getting downfield, 13/86 route running, 24/30 3rd down, 14 big play, 8/14 courage, 8/55 adjust, 12/78 avoid fumbles, and 16/26 and 9/17 P/K returns. He did NOT replace Diana as the group leader.

We can either:

a) keep him if the OC thinks he's worth a look (I couldn't forsee leadership changing during camp)
b) cut him loose
c) ignore I did this altogether
Old 10-09-2003, 12:56 PM   #333
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Technically I don't think there is anything against that, but the problem is that if we sign him his high leadership (when compared to our backfield and receivers leaders) makes it a risk that he will be deemed a position leader. If he is tagged with that moniker, then we are, by our rules, disallowed from cutting him.

Just to clarify - that was only if he had made the roster for any significant time, correct? I seem to recall QS signing a lineman who did this early this FA and we immediately cut him.

edit: that was the case:
Quote:
However, we have a problem. DT Brian Levine, if he stays with the team, will become our defensive front leader. That causes heartburn for three players—our two unsigned free agents, and also DE Geoff Emerson. I think that we’ll have to jettison Levine (who signed without a bonus, so there’s no cost to us there). But we may need to make a move with a late FA pursuit to get a stopgap at DT.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:01 PM   #334
Buzzbee
College Starter

He didn't replace Diana as receivers leader, but I can assure you that either later this season or next season he probably would.

QS and I weren't sure if the positional leaders could change mid-season or if they only change at a particular point in the season (End of season, staff hiring, traning camp, etc.).

I think it is probably a worthy experiment, but I'm not sure we want to tinker with the time bomb to find out when it will explode.

Perhaps Fritz has some additional input.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:02 PM   #335
cuervo72
Head Coach

Agreed, waiting on Fritz
Old 10-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #336
Buzzbee
College Starter

Also, for the record, I'd probably vote for C. I'm a little uncomfortable with signing a guy, seeing how is ratings change, and then deciding if we want to keep him or not. I'm not sure why, but it just seems a little "dirty".

Don't get me wrong, I'm no purist, but just wanted to toss out my feelings for the record.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #337
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that it fits. It does not happen often in the NFL, but it does happen. The Saints drafted Boo Williams, who played receiver in college, to play TE. If he had not worked out, they would have cut him. Same thing with the Cowboys drafting Dantzler and trying him out at running back and later releasing him.

There may be something about FOF that makes doing it too easy and too much of an advantage over the computer players, but--in terms of how teams work in real life--I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:20 PM   #338
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's fine, I guess it could be a little shady. If we did it once, what's stopping us from doing that with every rookie FA (making them one big experiment) not drafted? Maybe we should look at a general position change rule - I don't know if a limit has been discussed yet.

So we'll go with A if the OC wants to hang onto him, or C if he doesn't. That was my only action since the saved game so that will be simple, or if one of you guys wants to carry out the FA signings tonight (I don't know how long I'm going to be here at work, somewhat at the mercy of what my in-laws want to do whenever they arrive. If I don't hear from home, I'll be around until 4 or so) that's fine too.

edit: took me a while to post, so I didn't see albion's input.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-09-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM   #339
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I going out tonight with some guys from work, so I don't think I'll be around to do it. Also, I like Fritz's idea of the coordinators not doing much with the files until the season starts. That balances out everyone's participation well.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:24 PM   #340
Buzzbee
College Starter

I should have some time this evening if we want to go ahead with FA signings. If we can get those and training camp done, we might be in a position to get through the preseason before the weekend, giving us time over the weekend to set game plans, make cuts, and otherwise prepare for our championship season.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #341
Buzzbee
College Starter

And based on Albion's comments, I'm a little more comfortable with it, but like Cuervo said, see potential for abuse. However, I think we as a group have enough integrity to make this a trivial concern.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #342
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

QB Tyrell Browning would be an okay pickup (we need one more)

Browning conflicts with both Kowalski and Johns. Everyone else fits fine.

Regarding Rufus Peterson. What is the rule again for bonuses? He's asking $1,320,000 Y1, $1,660,000 Y2 with a bonus of $1,110,000.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #343
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Keep mixon. I had wanted us to grab a few extra WRs to take into camp, with the expectation that there would be cuts.

If my list has not been used yet, you can forget the FL I listed. Please consider the others, esp the QB and the rookie G.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #344
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Browning conflicts with both Kowalski and Johns. Everyone else fits fine.

Regarding Rufus Peterson. What is the rule again for bonuses? He's asking $1,320,000 Y1, $1,660,000 Y2 with a bonus of $1,110,000.

then I will get another one.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #345
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

QB Rod Lindsay should be Okay as an emergency type. He does not get along with the D7, but that should not be an issue.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #346
Buzzbee
College Starter

Fritz - Let me know who you want and I will do the FA signings this evening. (chemistry and leadership permitting).

I agree with keeping Mixon, with the stipulation that if he becomes leader after camp we cut him.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #347
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, here's what I've done so far then:

1. Signed Mixon, switched to SE
2. Re-signed P Van Saldana for 3 years at his asking price
3. Re-signed TE Bernard Wayne for 1 year at his asking price
4. Signed FL J.R. Leslie (before I saw Fritz's comment)
5. Signed RG Karl Preston
6. Signed WILB Grady Yamashita, converted to SS. He increased to 9/47
7. Signed MLB Kerry Satterlee

This leaves us with 59 under contract. Cutting Leslie would bring us to 58, or we could keep him. I'm awaiting word on if I need to add anything to Rufus' contract. If we cut Leslie, I will pick up an extra linebacker.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:54 PM   #348
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Fritz - Let me know who you want and I will do the FA signings this evening. (chemistry and leadership permitting).

I agree with keeping Mixon, with the stipulation that if he becomes leader after camp we cut him.

My list is on page 7, but ignore FL Linsey.

We can't cut Mixon if he becomes the leader.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #349
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

here is the deal with WR and camp: I plan to inactivate the best until we get down to 4 and then let them have a go at pre-season. I presume to keep the best 5 for the season.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #350
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
here is the deal with WR and camp: I plan to inactivate the best until we get down to 4 and then let them have a go at pre-season. I presume to keep the best 5 for the season.

At the moment we are carrying Song, Ellison, Sanderson, K-Car, LEslie, Nixon, Irwin and Jefferson.

We are also carrying 8 LB's.