Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ugly win. I'll take it. Going into an SEC environment like that and pulling out a win is impressive, no matter how it happens. But damn that was an ugly win.

Given the QB being a freshman, I'd think it has to look prettier than it might otherwise. That's a hell of a lot of noise to deal with and I really do think coastal trips (in either direction) take more out of teams than we all give credit for.

I still don't honestly see UCLA is anything more than a 5-7 win team as they currently stand (no idea what your own expectations are, higher or lower or the same or what) -- youth at QB is dangerous, the defense was vulnerable when it got tired & there are better offenses that will tax it as much or moreso -- but today's win was fair & square and deserves however much credit they'd like to take for it.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #302
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Couldn't believe that ND playcalling on their last offensive series, terrible. Bad enough to be a bigger factor than the one-sided officiating.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #303
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Kudos to Charlie Weis for throwing twice rather then make Michigan burn TO's. Tsk tsk.

Good ol' frontbutt
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #304
RendeR
Coordinator

Oh and my condolences to Schmidty and his fellow M-State fans. Rather disheartening to lose to Central today.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #305
tarcone
Coordinator

Dear Lou Holtz,

Shut up now. Thank you.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #306
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Hmmm another clock issue at Ann Arbor...no surprise there.
I call shenanigans. It's bad enough the refs stole 4 points by overturning Allen's touchdown when the evidence wasn't conclusive, and then a borderline holding call to negate a 72-yard pass, but I was ready to say ND had to overcome those. The clock shit at the end just makes me want to blame the officials now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought the same thing, but the ball was touched by ND before it went out of the back of the end zone.
Then wouldn't that be a safety? (ping: Dr. Sak)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-12-2009 at 06:30 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #307
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Given the QB being a freshman, I'd think it has to look prettier than it might otherwise. That's a hell of a lot of noise to deal with and I really do think coastal trips (in either direction) take more out of teams than we all give credit for.

I still don't honestly see UCLA is anything more than a 5-7 win team as they currently stand (no idea what your own expectations are, higher or lower or the same or what) -- youth at QB is dangerous, the defense was vulnerable when it got tired & there are better offenses that will tax it as much or moreso -- but today's win was fair & square and deserves however much credit they'd like to take for it.

You're pretty much right, I think. UCLA is an average team that may pull off a surprise or two.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #308
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Depends on what Tennessee goes on to do this year. If they win 8 games this year, then it was a good win for UCLA.

As for UCLA, They probably can win 9 games now in this season as the only two games I dont think UCLA has at least a 50/50 chance of winning is USC and Cal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #309
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I call shenanigans. It's bad enough the refs stole 4 points by overturning Allen's touchdown when the evidence wasn't conclusive, and then a borderline holding call to negate a 72-yard pass, but I was ready to say ND had to overcome those. The clock shit at the end just makes me want to blame the officials now.Then wouldn't that be a safety? (ping: Dr. Sak)

Clock issues aside, there would not have been any worries had Weis not gone deep twice for no reason.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #310
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I call shenanigans. It's bad enough the refs stole 4 points by overturning Allen's touchdown when the evidence wasn't conclusive, and then a borderline holding call to negate a 72-yard pass, but I was ready to say ND had to overcome those. The clock shit at the end just makes me want to blame the officials now.Then wouldn't that be a safety? (ping: Dr. Sak)

No on a kickoff you would have to actually gain control of the ball first THEN fumble it out of the end zone, and even then I think it would just be a touchback.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #311
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not a safety unless he fumbled it. No possession no safety on a kickoff.

I agree on the TD call though. I mean it did look as if he stepped out but I didn't think it was conclusive enough. That point is all moot if they had a better angle that we didn't see on TV. Plus I find it hard to believe that the Linesman who was about 8 yards behind the ball wouldn't see him step out. That's all he's looking out as the runner goes down that line.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #312
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Clock issues aside, there would not have been any worries had Weis not gone deep twice for no reason.
I don't condone the going deep, but then it probably would have been 34-34 and going to OT. Without 2 TO's and playing out exactly as it did, Michigan would have had around a 35 yard FG attempt, and they probably would have hurried more if they didn't have the TO's.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #313
tarcone
Coordinator

Listen to the ND fans cry.

Maybe hire a better coach.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #314
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU finishes off ECU and it wouldn't have been remotely close with decent officiating and if there hadn't been 2 muffed punts deep in their own territory. The score was 35-20 but yardage was 509-238 and 1st downs 23-13.

Hopefully the poor officiating prepares the team for the game at Auburn next week.

Yeah, that was probably the most dominant WVU has looked since the Fiesta Bowl - pretty much everywhere but the scoreboard, I guess. It could've, probably should've, been about 52-10 or so. I'll happily take a 15 point win, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #315
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Not a safety unless he fumbled it. No possession no safety on a kickoff.

I agree on the TD call though. I mean it did look as if he stepped out but I didn't think it was conclusive enough. That point is all moot if they had a better angle that we didn't see on TV. Plus I find it hard to believe that the Linesman who was about 8 yards behind the ball wouldn't see him step out. That's all he's looking out as the runner goes down that line.
They had him on their good angle staring straight at it. Do they have other angles in the booth? I thought I remembered hearing they only had what TV gave them. (And it's hard to believe ABC had a 3rd angle they hid from viewers.)
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Depends on what Tennessee goes on to do this year. If they win 8 games this year, then it was a good win for UCLA.

LOL. There's at least as good a chance of seeing monkeys fly out of Lane Kiffin's ass as there is of that team winning 8 games unless Crompton breaks his fucking leg.

Incidentally, speaking of the incrompetent one ... did you know that today was statistically the least productive full day (i.e. more than 5 pass attempts) of his illustrious career?

His QB rating of 19.1 today eclipses previous stellar outings against Auburn (43.6) and UCLA (49.7).
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #317
DeToxRox
Head Coach

How about J-State up 9-7 at the half on FSU.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Miami hangover I guess.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #319
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know if they have more angles or not. That's why I floated that out there.

I'm a line judge so I always talk with the deep guy on my side that when I am beat by a runner I have the sideline. But there are times where I am blocked out by someone getting in front of me.

And if you are watching ESPN they just had an explanation of the clock in the last 10 seconds and unfortunately for all you official haters who think we dont know shit...they got it right.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 09-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #320
RendeR
Coordinator

Gah, now I gotta flip back and forth between the final regular season race at Richmond and the Buckeyes and Trojans in Columbus.

What a night!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #321
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Listen to the ND fans cry.

Maybe hire a better coach.
Whatever. If we don't recover and make the BCS we'll probably be offering Brian Kelly whatever he wants.

One other point that will sound like whining now but I've been saying for years - having non-grass surfaces so close to the playing surface is retarded, and it cost us our best offensive player. On the 2nd incompletion I would've loved to have Floyd running that route instead of the freshman backup who broke too late.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-12-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn, time is flying today.

Georgia & South Carolina are already midway through Q1 tied at 7 on a 100 yd KOR by UGA's Brandon Boykin
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #323
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Whatever. If we don't recover and make the BCS we'll probably be offering Brian Kelly whatever he wants.

One other point that will sound like whining now but I've been saying for years - having non-grass surfaces so close to the playing surface is retarded, and it cost us our best offensive player. On the 2nd incompletion I would've loved to have Floyd running that route instead of the freshman backup who broke too late.

Kelly is a great choice, and he is quite a bit thinner than Santa Claus Weiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #324
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia has got to take care of the ball...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #325
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The guy who dotted the I in Ohio just drilled the camera man with his tuba!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #326
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I've been this amped up for a game since the National Championship Game against Texas.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #327
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The guy who dotted the I in Ohio just drilled the camera man with his tuba!

That was funny
Old 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #328
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

C'mon Ohio State

*spits up*

I'd like to see South Carolina maintain their lead and pull off the upset but they won't hold on for long imo
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #329
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

USC should win thiss going away.....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #330
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Georgia has got to take care of the ball...

I'd prefer they grease their hands. Clemson-GT and UGA-USCe on the same weekend is fun (after which we can get back to being respected rivals).
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #331
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I don't think I've been this amped up for a game since the National Championship Game against Texas.

Let's hope the result is the same
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #332
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I was referring to the 2005 game where Carr got the refs to put back on 3 seconds. But it was done correct today.

Just like it was done correct in 2005.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #333
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Bowling Green is up 13-0 on Missouri in the 2nd.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Galippo!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #335
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was a bit poor from Pryor there. wtf.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #336
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nice INT by USC!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #337
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia goes in front suddenly, 21-17, on a nice reverse that goes 60 yds (slipped a DB in at WR & he just smoked everybody)
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #338
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What a goal line stand by Ohio State!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #339
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But then USC converts on 4th down!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #340
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Missed block by Havili cost the TD on 3rd down, but Stafon Johnson with the rushing TD on 4th and goal!

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #341
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That's a statement eh? 4th and goal, you go for it, and you make it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A few interesting scores elsewhere as the eyes of most folks are on a couple of bigger games

Alabama leads FIU 20-14 midway through Q2 (McElroy looking good for Bama but FIU got a 96 yd KOR for a score to stay close)

LSU leads Vandy 10-7 midway through Q2

Bowling Green leads Missouri 13-3 middle Q2 (Gabbert 6/13 for 16 yds so far)

Jax State still leading FSU 9-7 under 5 mins in Q3

James Madison leads Maryland 28-21 < 1 min left Q3

NC State leads Murray State 65-0 in Q3
Auburn is up 14-10 over Miss State middle Q2
SD State leads Ga Southern 13-3 at the half
UNH leads Ball State 16-6 with 3 mins left in the first half
McNeese St beat Appy State 40-35 earlier today
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #343
bhlloy
Coordinator

Taylor Mays just got schooled on that one. If he's the lone man back there, he can't try and jump a route like that.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #344
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Taylor Mays just got schooled on that one. If he's the lone man back there, he can't try and jump a route like that.

Agreed. Hopefully, the offense will answer here.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FSU still down 9-7 with 10 mins left, driving to the JV State 32 to at least get a FG for the lead and they fumble it away on 3rd down.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #346
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
FSU still down 9-7 with 10 mins left, driving to the JV State 32 to at least get a FG for the lead and they fumble it away on 3rd down.
The game is on ESPN360.com for anyone interested.

FSU can't move the ball.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #347
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

O'Malley is a real weakness for USC. Fortunate that Taylor flew down there to make that tackle.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #348
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Crap. It goes without saying that if Taylor is hurt, it is a huge blow to the defense.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #349
bhlloy
Coordinator

We're losing the battle on the lines, and Barkley just doesn't look ready to lead the offense. I have a really bad feeling that we are going to lose by 2+ scores tonight.

And Mays looks like he might be seriously hurt. Pryor is going to have a field day running the ball if he's out.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #350
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I hope this is more a sign that FSU just didn't get up for this game instead of Miami not being as good as I thought they were.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote