Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #301
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Impressive win by Vandy over the Gators. After about the 10 minute mark in the 1st half, Florida just couldn't stop Vanderbilt. Final score, 83-70.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #302
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Did you type that with a straight face?

Yep. I think Georgetown is better than UCLA.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #303
miami_fan
Coordinator

The undermanned Zags are hanging tough with the Tigers.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #304
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Yep. I think Georgetown is better than UCLA.

So Im guessing you think Oregon is better then Georgetown too right?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #305
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So Im guessing you think Oregon is better then Georgetown too right?

Nope. November 29th was a long time ago, and it won't mean much in March.

I think UCLA is good and has a real shot to make the final 4 again, but right now there's almost nobody I'd pick over Georgetown. Anything can happen in the tournament, but I expect the Hoyas to go deeper than any other Big East team, which usually means real deep.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #306
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Nope. November 29th was a long time ago, and it won't mean much in March.

I think UCLA is good and has a real shot to make the final 4 again, but right now there's almost nobody I'd pick over Georgetown. Anything can happen in the tournament, but I expect the Hoyas to go deeper than any other Big East team, which usually means real deep.

Then what's the reasoning for picking the Hoyas over UCLA? Because of the game vs WVU?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #307
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Louisville takes out Marquette at the Buzzer... after being called for just about everything all game long.. Yay
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #308
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bug, I think timmynausea is just saying that, having watched the opponents WVU has played, he has an opinion based on what he saw on who the top team was that they faced. It's for the most part subjective, and I can understand himt hinking that given what he saw.

The only thing I would point out to timmynausea is to note that UCLA was playing without perhaps its best player (Collison; and certainly one of top two), for the most part its starting center, and was a West Coast team playing at 9 a.m. our time, after flying across the country, and going up against a WVU squad that has proven itself to be very good in that squad's bandbox stadium full of loud and boisterous fans. IMO, making it as close as it was was actually very impressive for UCLA, given all of those circumstances. I would recommend timmynausea watch more games of all of those teams before coming to any conclusions (such as checking out UCLA's very impressive road win at Arizona today).

I haven't watched enough Georgetown to rate them against UCLA. But I do know watching one game against the Mountaineers is probably not enough to make more than a snapshot judgment about any of Pitt, UCLA or G'town.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #309
timmynausea
College Starter

That's probably a fair assessment. I wasn't trying to claim any expertise, and I admit I haven't seen a ton of UCLA this year outside of the WVU game. I have seen a bit more of the other schools, and my opinion of Georgetown is really based on their past few games along with last year. (They have a few guys back from last year that I was familiar with.)

My assessment is based primarily on just how good I think Georgetown is, and I feel relatively strongly that they are one of the top 5 teams in the country right now. 9 straight Big East wins is impressive especially when 2 are 18 point wins over top 25 teams.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #310
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Bug, I think timmynausea is just saying that, having watched the opponents WVU has played, he has an opinion based on what he saw on who the top team was that they faced. It's for the most part subjective, and I can understand himt hinking that given what he saw.

The only thing I would point out to timmynausea is to note that UCLA was playing without perhaps its best player (Collison; and certainly one of top two), for the most part its starting center, and was a West Coast team playing at 9 a.m. our time, after flying across the country, and going up against a WVU squad that has proven itself to be very good in that squad's bandbox stadium full of loud and boisterous fans. IMO, making it as close as it was was actually very impressive for UCLA, given all of those circumstances. I would recommend timmynausea watch more games of all of those teams before coming to any conclusions (such as checking out UCLA's very impressive road win at Arizona today).

I haven't watched enough Georgetown to rate them against UCLA. But I do know watching one game against the Mountaineers is probably not enough to make more than a snapshot judgment about any of Pitt, UCLA or G'town.

Fair enough. I guess the value of Collison showed today when he went off for 17 points and 15 assists against a bad Arizona team. Then again, UCLA lost to the Mountaineers last year and it worked out pretty good for them too
Old 02-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #311
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A nice win for SU (against UConn) in front of a huge, crowd (32,000+).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #312
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Can't complain with a Terps win over the Tigers of Clemson. I figured that since we won 2 games in a row (Duke and NC State), we were due to lose this one. Just means that now I push that prediction out one game. (hey, I'm trying to be a realist this season)

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #313
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I think Syracuse and Louisville are two Big East teams that could cause problems in the tournament if they can continue to stay hot and find their way in (I think UofL is already close to a lock after this week). They are both very talented and seem to be playing hungry down the stretch.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #314
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ehhh.... UConn is pretty bad.
Early in the season they had the youth excuse, but by now it's painfully obvious their offense is horrifically bad.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #315
Craptacular
College Starter

It will be interesting to see if Florida drops below OSU in the polls tomorrow. We'd then most likely have a #2 & #3 that both beat and have equal or better records than the team they are behind. I know the rankings really don't mean squat, but Wisconsin has never been ranked #1 in basketball. However, you've got to believe that if they go on the road and beat both Mich St and OSU this week, they'll be #1 next week, even if they are still behind Florida this week.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #316
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular View Post
It will be interesting to see if Florida drops below OSU in the polls tomorrow. We'd then most likely have a #2 & #3 that both beat and have equal or better records than the team they are behind. I know the rankings really don't mean squat, but Wisconsin has never been ranked #1 in basketball. However, you've got to believe that if they go on the road and beat both Mich St and OSU this week, they'll be #1 next week, even if they are still behind Florida this week.

Given UCLA's thrashing of Arizona on the road, it's my guess Florida may actually drop three spots. I'm pretty sure they will drop below both OSU and Wisconsin. That's the nature of rankings (for what they're worth).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #317
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas celebrates their return to the Top 25 with an absolute shredding of Texas Tech, 80-51. It was another team effort, with all 5 Texas starters in double figures.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #318
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I have yet to see a student section that doesn't have at least one hyperactive dude wearing a headband and mirrored aviator shades. EVERY STUDENT SECTION. WTF?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #319
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Tough loss for WSU @ Oregon, but when the Duck guards shoot like that you just have to tip your hat and move on.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #320
cartman
Death Herald

Texas beats OU by 10, 68-58, despite having a horrible 2nd half from the field. They went over ten minutes without making a basket. Durant was stellar again, with 32 points and 10 boards. Texas has two extremely tough games to close out the regular season, vs. A&M and at Kansas. If they can win one of those two, I'd be surprised and happy.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #321
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Georgetown beats Pitt, nothing pretty, but they keep finding ways to win. There is a one hundred percent chance that my heart will explode during an unnecessarily close tournament game...
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #322
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Tough loss for WSU @ Oregon, but when the Duck guards shoot like that you just have to tip your hat and move on.

It's rather amazing how bad the Bennett's are vs the Ducks
Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #323
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I am surprised nobody has commented on the LSU beating of Florida.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #324
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA won tonight which all but assured them of the #1 seed in the West. With the win they go undefeated at home for unpfficially the first time in 32 some odd years.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #325
st.cronin
General Manager

Whisky-Buckeye is a good game. Anybody else watching?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #326
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I am....please finish this one bucks
Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #327
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm watching too, go Big Ten.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #328
st.cronin
General Manager

Bo Ryan is going bald before our very eyes!

knives out
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #329
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Damn this is a good one
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #330
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ah, back to the Terps I'm used to...they apparently decided not to show up for this game with UNC (at home no less).

/tk
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #331
st.cronin
General Manager

Nice use of the 5 second rule there by Thad Motta.

knives out
Old 02-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #332
Craptacular
College Starter

Well that blew.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #333
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

As an aside did anyone else see that Badger player dislocate his elbow.......yuck
Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #334
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Ah, back to the Terps I'm used to...they apparently decided not to show up for this game with UNC (at home no less).

/tk

Terps have woken up. Early 2nd half, UNC only up 2.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #335
Ragone
Pro Rookie

At the beginning of the year.. if you had told me Louisville would beat Uconn/Pitt/Marquette all on the road with a freshman oriented team..

Well, i would have wanted whatever you was on.. What has happened is beyond my wildest expectations for the team this year.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #336
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Terps have woken up. Early 2nd half, UNC only up 2.

I ain't saying anything on that yet, I'm not ready to jinx it (and they're down like 7 now?)

/tk
Old 02-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #337
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I ain't saying anything on that yet, I'm not ready to jinx it (and they're down like 7 now?)

/tk

Congrats. Your seniors just kept you in the game and the envirorment was just too much for us to handle. A solid win for you guys, and ya'll are truly the hottest team in the conference right now.

Our schedule sure is difficult to end the season...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #338
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
At the beginning of the year.. if you had told me Louisville would beat Uconn/Pitt/Marquette all on the road with a freshman oriented team..

Well, i would have wanted whatever you was on.. What has happened is beyond my wildest expectations for the team this year.

Isn't it great? Last season's Carolina team was one of the most fun I've witnessed, just because our freshman team won a LOT of games we were NOT supposed to win. Enjoy it!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #339
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
Congrats. Your seniors just kept you in the game and the envirorment was just too much for us to handle. A solid win for you guys, and ya'll are truly the hottest team in the conference right now.

Our schedule sure is difficult to end the season...

I'm actually amazed (and pleased) they pulled it off, that was actually a good last 3/4 of the game to watch (first 1/4 wasn't as good).

I can't wait to see what our current freshmen and sophomores will look like in 2 years (if they stick around).

/tk
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #340
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm actually amazed (and pleased) they pulled it off, that was actually a good last 3/4 of the game to watch (first 1/4 wasn't as good).

I can't wait to see what our current freshmen and sophomores will look like in 2 years (if they stick around).

/tk

Thanks for the help in the jumble that is the top of the ACC.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #341
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular View Post
Well that blew.

Not really. But Ohio State benefits from the home court there. It would be interesting to see these 2 on a neutral court... in say, the Final 4?

The refs really swallowed their whistles in this game. Badger shooters were getting run over left and right with no calls... Ohio State was getting hacked down low repeatedly with no calls... I can appreciate wanting to let the players decide the game, but there is a point where the game becomes so physical that it takes away from it a bit. The final score definitely reflects how tough the game was. I was impressed that Ohio State was able to win a grinder like that.

Now I will hope they don't blow it by losing to Michigan State in the 2nd round of the Big Ten tournament or something stupid.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #342
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are the #1 seeds pretty much set at this point? I think the East (North Carolina), South(Florida), and the West(UCLA) are pretty much set in stone. The only question will be whether it is Ohio State or Wisconsin in the Midwest. A first round conference tourney drubbing withstanding, is there anyway another team get a #1 seed over the teams I mentioned?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #343
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are the #1 seeds pretty much set at this point? I think the East (North Carolina), South(Florida), and the West(UCLA) are pretty much set in stone. The only question will be whether it is Ohio State or Wisconsin in the Midwest. A first round conference tourney drubbing withstanding, is there anyway another team get a #1 seed over the teams I mentioned?

I'm only really familiar with the east. The only thing I could see (and it's a long shot) is UNC tanking it's next couple games (they just lost to UMD) and not going far in the ACC tournament and Georgetown taking a run for the top spot.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #344
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Only one other person on FOFC would care, but New Orleans has a home game in the Sun Belt tournament as the #7 seed. UNO knocked off division leader UL-Monroe to finish the regular season. Now the Privateers take their 9-9 conference record up against #10 seed Arkansas-Little Rock. If the defense actually shows up in the conference tournament, I think UNO has a shot at winning it. Of course, defense is not UNO's strong point, so who knows.

At least we have three things to be proud of: the #6 scorer in the country (Bo McCalebb, UNO's all-time leading scorer), the #6 3-point shooter in the country (James Parlow, around 48%), and the #5 3-point shooting team in the country (around 42%).

It's just too bad that the defense and rebounding are horrific.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #345
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
UNO knocked off division leader UL-Monroe to finish the regular season.

This game featured more classic unintentional comedy from coach Buzz Williams. Late in the game he was screaming at the defense, calling "blue, blue." They couldn't hear him (maybe he was losing his voice), so he frantically grabs the radio announcer's Aquafina water bottle and starts jumping around banging on the blue label to get his point across. Then he drops the damn thing in front of the scorers table and spills water all over the place. Then he mops it up himself. Also, earlier in the game, he nearly passed out.

We may have a Dick Fick for the 21st century here at UNO, although unfortunately he appears to have roughly the same amount of coaching acumen as Fick. I like our chances against Little Rock on Wednesday though. It's hard to see them coming into our little cruddy Katrina-backup gym and beating us twice in one week.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #346
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm only really familiar with the east. The only thing I could see (and it's a long shot) is UNC tanking it's next couple games (they just lost to UMD) and not going far in the ACC tournament and Georgetown taking a run for the top spot.

So much for that idea...

Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #347
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
This game featured more classic unintentional comedy from coach Buzz Williams. Late in the game he was screaming at the defense, calling "blue, blue." They couldn't hear him (maybe he was losing his voice), so he frantically grabs the radio announcer's Aquafina water bottle and starts jumping around banging on the blue label to get his point across. Then he drops the damn thing in front of the scorers table and spills water all over the place. Then he mops it up himself. Also, earlier in the game, he nearly passed out.
Oh, man, that sounds hilarious. I wish I could've been there for that. Now UNO has to get to the tournament (or at least to the Sun Belt final) so I can see this guy in action.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #348
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The season for SU is made! Anytime they beat the hated Hoyas, all is well in Orangeland.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #349
DeeBrownforPresident
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

There is a possibility that Ohio State and Wisconsin both get 1 seeds. In fact, as of now, isn't the consensus just that, with Florida being a 2 seed?
DeeBrownforPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #350
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The season for SU is made! Anytime they beat the hated Hoyas, all is well in Orangeland.

Damn straight.

Still a little uneasy about the RPI though, #49 even after the win. If they lose at 'Nova and the 1st round of the BE, I'm not sure they're in.

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2007 at 08:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote