Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #301
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

To me, he NFL Draft used to be an event. Now I find it's almost a pain to keep up with. I have to work. By the time I would catch the draft round 1 will be nearly over. What happens at the end of 1? See you tomorrow for another round! What was once a marathon has turned into a few sprints that don't seem as exciting or interesting.

Goodell hates weekends... he keeps putting more games on weekday nights, the first two rounds on weekday nights... pretty soon the NFL on Sunday will be a thing of the past!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #302
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
What was once a marathon has turned into a few sprints that don't seem as exciting or interesting.

While I see the analogy you are trying to make, I just don't think it proves your point very well...how many people would prefer to watch the NYC Marathon over the 100 meter sprint for a gold medal along with the qualifiers?

I'm just sayin'...
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #303
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
While I see the analogy you are trying to make, I just don't think it proves your point very well...how many people would prefer to watch the NYC Marathon over the 100 meter sprint for a gold medal along with the qualifiers?

I'm just sayin'...

You mean a lot of 100 meter sprints over multiple days.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #304
MikeVic
Head Coach

I haven't read through this thread, just saw M GO BLUE's reply on this page... I hate the draft the way it is now. I'd actually browse the draft thread on this forum when the 1st round was on Saturday, and pay attention to at least the first round.

Also, the schedule really surprised me and I guess I've been out of the loop... but there seems to be a Thursday game every week? Wtf is up with that? When was that decided? I'm pretty much going to miss the Thursday games, and it negatively affects fantasy football for me (I loved that I just had to check once during the week to make waiver acquisitions, and then check Saturday for last-minute changes to my lineup). Now I'll have to factor in Thursday game injuries and if it's worth starting a questionable guy that plays on Thursday or go with a lesser but definitely playing guy for Sunday games. I don't know, maybe I'm being stupid with this rant here, but being in five leagues kind of has to end for me this year and I don't like that.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #305
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
You mean a lot of 100 meter sprints over multiple days.

Yup...100 meter sprint from qualifiers to final is usually a two or three day affair...and is by far the most popular ticket at any track and field competition.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #306
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pittsburgh PG writer (same guy who does the Trite Trophy each year) and his classic draft story

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #307
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Also, the schedule really surprised me and I guess I've been out of the loop... but there seems to be a Thursday game every week? Wtf is up with that? When was that decided?

It was decided during the CBA negotiations as a way to increase the overall revenue pot, so when the players ended up taking less as a percentage, there was a bigger pool to split.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #308
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Goodell hates weekends... he keeps putting more games on weekday nights, the first two rounds on weekday nights... pretty soon the NFL on Sunday will be a thing of the past!

I think that it is more that he wants the NFL Weekend to become a Thursday-Sunday affair.

Friday night games will be easy enough to do. You can throw a few cameras at a local high school game in the same city. And do a couple of highlights of those games during the telecast. Also donate $5,000 to each high school's athletic department. "The NFL celebrates high school football" or some such thing. It is actually easier for the NFL to come on Friday night instead of the NCAA b/c the NFL does not have to actually worry about pissing off the high schools for recruiting purposes.

Saturday games will be a little harder to do because college football has taken over the entire day.

But it would not shock me in the next TV contract to see Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games as part of the package.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #309
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that it is more that he wants the NFL Weekend to become a Thursday-Sunday affair.

Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotta repeal that before they can try Saturday games before mid-December. And given that it's the basis for their TV antitrust exemption, not sure they're going to bother pushing for it.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #310
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Its man day. Getting in a full round of golf. Then grilling out ribeyes, mac-n-chz, + random vegetable.

Red wine, some craft brews and making fun of the Raiders/Vikings/Browns when they make a terrible pick.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #311
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotta repeal that before they can try Saturday games before mid-December. And given that it's the basis for their TV antitrust exemption, not sure they're going to bother pushing for it.

Had no idea that was a law. Just assumed it was a gentleman's agreement between the NFL/NCAA/High Schools.

Pretty much shoots my theory dead.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #312
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

If the Browns don't pick Richardson @ 4 (or they get beat by a team trading up to 3 to pick Richardson) I will need to change my username to something else. I'll be DONE with this team - DONE I say!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #313
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Peyton's Head@PeytonsHead
Saints. Then I could listen to all of the others, too. RT @nflnetwork Which #NFLDraft war room would you want to listen in on?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #314
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
If the Browns don't pick Richardson @ 4 (or they get beat by a team trading up to 3 to pick Richardson) I will need to change my username to something else. I'll be DONE with this team - DONE I say!!!

Do you want them to trade up to 3 to make sure they get Richardson?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #315
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I never like drafting a RB that high. Even if they are the most phenomenal athlete you've seen, the chances that they can last long enough for the rest of the team to develop around them is so slim that he'll either be gone in 3 or 4 seasons to free agency or be completely burned out physically in 4-5 seasons of pounding the ball because nothing else works.

I understand the need for a great skill player and the attraction that is to an owner/fanbase, but if I were a Browns fan, I'd be hoping for more help on the O/Dline (given that there is no QB worth picking after #2).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #316
mckerney
Coordinator

It's probably a bad sign that I'm dreading this draft more than looking forward to it at this point. At this point I'm just hoping the Vikings don't take Matt Kalil, manage to trade back picking up picks in next years draft so I can hope someone other than Rick Spielman is going to make the pick, and I get to enjoy seeing a team Pondering their pick and taking Tannehill way too early.

Oh, and maybe they do an on air story about the top QBs expected to be in next years draft.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #317
BYU 14
Coordinator

Who are you hoping the Vikes take mckerney, Claiborne or just trde down period?

They do need Kalil, just not sure he is 3 overall worthy...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #318
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not sure which way my beloved Cards will go. They firmly believe in a Best Player Available approach which is why they took a RB with their 2nd round pick last season when they had much more pressing needs and Beanie Wells on the roster. So it all depends on who falls to them-WR, O-Line, DE are likely if they stay at 13-don't be surprised if they trade down though since they don't have a 2nd round pick this year.

O-Line is their best move I think-they've got to give Kevin Kolb the best protection they can so they can see his real ability.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #319
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I am at least interested in what the Bears will do this year rather than dreading the busts they will choose in the first 3 rounds. Now if only there was a new football game to play?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #320
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

It will never happen because the Vikings arent creative enough but Id like them to take Claiborne with the #3 pick and figure out a way to use their early 2nd to move back into the late first and grab the LT out of Stanford. In my personal opinion a top notch corner is the hardest position to fill.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #321
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Peyton's Head@PeytonsHead
Saints. Then I could listen to all of the others, too. RT @nflnetwork Which #NFLDraft war room would you want to listen in on?

I lol'd
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #322
Grover
Pro Starter

My fantasy draft for the Bengals would be DeCastro and Kuelchy. Pipe dreams, I know.

In reality, I'd like to see Gilmore (hate that he's rising so fast) or Kirkpatrick and DeCastro (please) or Glenn.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #323
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Do you want them to trade up to 3 to make sure they get Richardson?

How much will they need to give up? Switch spots and a 5th rounder? If so, yes... Any more than that - I'll roll the dice but still will be furious if Tampa/Jets, ect move up to 3 a steal Richardson away. Ijust hope the Browns have "people" that know if a team is really interested in making a move to draft Richardson.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #324
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I never like drafting a RB that high. Even if they are the most phenomenal athlete you've seen, the chances that they can last long enough for the rest of the team to develop around them is so slim that he'll either be gone in 3 or 4 seasons to free agency or be completely burned out physically in 4-5 seasons of pounding the ball because nothing else works.

I understand the need for a great skill player and the attraction that is to an owner/fanbase, but if I were a Browns fan, I'd be hoping for more help on the O/Dline (given that there is no QB worth picking after #2).

My opinion is Richardson would take tons of pressure off Colt. He's a perfect west coast RB - IMO. PLus he would immediately be the Browns best WR!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #325
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I completely understand this philosophy when it comes to running backs. But at the same time, if you are 100% convinced that Richardson (or another RB in a given year) is head and shoulders above whatever else you could get, and it fits an immediate need on your team that another selection won't, I see no reason why you shouldn't make the pick. Let's ignore the upside that he could be a top 3 player until he's 29 when the wheels fall off a bit and just stick with your example. Is what you were describing that you would get out of him really not better off than whatever player you may not be as sold on, but who could give you 12 years if he reaches his potential?

I also think people overlook a player's floor in situations like this. As long as there aren't fumbling issues, a back like Richardson could get thrown out there from Day 1 and give some degree of contribution to the team. Maybe it's no more than replacement level at first, but it's something. There are times an OL or DL might not even see the field for the first season or two because their level of play is actually hurtful. And in the OL's case, that means possibly getting your QB killed.

eta: And once again, you have to take the lower bonus structure into account when making these decisions.

Last edited by Logan : 04-26-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #326
miked
College Starter

Quote:
How much will they need to give up? Switch spots and a 5th rounder? If so, yes... Any more than that - I'll roll the dice but still will be furious if Tampa/Jets, ect move up to 3 a steal Richardson away. Ijust hope the Browns have "people" that know if a team is really interested in making a move to draft Richardson.

Maybe this will make you feel better. Here's a bunch of RBs selected in the 1st round in recent drafts, make your own conclusions.

1st (9) CJ Spiller
1st (12) Ryan Matthews
1st (30) Jahvid Best
1st (12) Knowshon Moreno
1st (27) Donald Brown
1st (31) Beanie Wells
1st (4) Darren McFadden
1st (13) Jonathan Stewart
1st (22) Felix Jones
1st (23) Rashard Mendenhall
1st (24) Chris Johnson

In fact, most of the top RBs around the league were higher picks. Rice, Forte, MJD, McCoy (all 2nds), Gore, Greene, Charles (all 3rds), and let's not forget Turner and Foster (and Brashaw for the Giants fans). It seems the best thing for the Browns to do is get a WR for their shitty QB to throw to, a new QB, or perhaps some OL to help their former 2nd round pick Hardesty succeed.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #327
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How many minutes are between picks this year?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #328
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
How many minutes are between picks this year?

• Round 1 - 10 minutes
• Round 2 - 7 minutes
• Round 3 - 5 minutes
• Round 4 - 5 minutes
• Round 5 - 5 minutes
• Round 6 - 5 minutes
• Round 7 - 5 minutes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #329
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
• Round 1 - 10 minutes
• Round 2 - 7 minutes
• Round 3 - 5 minutes
• Round 4 - 5 minutes
• Round 5 - 5 minutes
• Round 6 - 5 minutes
• Round 7 - 5 minutes

You forgot the 24 hour breaks!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #330
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You forgot the 24 hour breaks!

Stop causing problems!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #331
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Cool - I was hoping the 1st round wasn't 15 min.

Thanks!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #332
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Maybe this will make you feel better. Here's a bunch of RBs selected in the 1st round in recent drafts, make your own conclusions.

1st (9) CJ Spiller
1st (12) Ryan Matthews
1st (30) Jahvid Best
1st (12) Knowshon Moreno
1st (27) Donald Brown
1st (31) Beanie Wells
1st (4) Darren McFadden
1st (13) Jonathan Stewart
1st (22) Felix Jones
1st (23) Rashard Mendenhall
1st (24) Chris Johnson

In fact, most of the top RBs around the league were higher picks. Rice, Forte, MJD, McCoy (all 2nds), Gore, Greene, Charles (all 3rds), and let's not forget Turner and Foster (and Brashaw for the Giants fans). It seems the best thing for the Browns to do is get a WR for their shitty QB to throw to, a new QB, or perhaps some OL to help their former 2nd round pick Hardesty succeed.

This post is exactly where I was going. Some of those 1st rd picks are very good players but were taken by reasonably competitive teams later in the round. But none of them can block and run the ball simultaneously, which is why I'm a bit old school when it comes to drafting as I think you do need to "win the trenches" before you even know how effective a RB can be (or even judge the value over replacement).

Put it this way...there will be plenty of RBs that go undrafted and/or available next season that are capable of doing an average job in the NFL. I just see a top-flight OT, DE, DT, or C as being the type of spot that helps you win more of the little battles. And when an OT or C wins their battle...anybody with average NFL talent can be an effective runner.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #333
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Browns have studs at LT and C. So pick a RT or G at 4 - no thanks...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #334
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I completely understand this philosophy when it comes to running backs. But at the same time, if you are 100% convinced that Richardson (or another RB in a given year) is head and shoulders above whatever else you could get, and it fits an immediate need on your team that another selection won't, I see no reason why you shouldn't make the pick. Let's ignore the upside that he could be a top 3 player until he's 29 when the wheels fall off a bit and just stick with your example. Is what you were describing that you would get out of him really not better off than whatever player you may not be as sold on, but who could give you 12 years if he reaches his potential?
Well, I do believe you draft the BPA at a position that isn't overstocked already, but the BPA (in my view) has a sliding scale based on position & risk. I know the risk is less now than before but I also see the risk in passing over a player that can help you for 10+ years rather than 3-5 and hope for an intangible longevity that isn't typical of the position.

I'm not saying a RB is never worth taking that high. I guess I just follow the thinking that a great QB can make an avg line/RB appear to perform better, a great line can make an avg QB/RB appear to perform better, but a great RB canNOT make an avg QB/line appear to perform better.

So of the 3, the RB is the most ineffectual for the other 2.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #335
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Browns have studs at LT and C. So pick a RT or G at 4 - no thanks...

But just think...you could get 1000 yds if they did.

I dont know the Browns team needs as well as I'm sure you do. Just as a casual outsider, I see that they need to improve in many ways to get past the Ravens & Steelers and be capable of winning 10+ games every season. So maybe its not a G or RT if the draft class is weak but there has to be more issues to address than RB with such a high draft pick.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #336
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

OH - I agree with you. The Browns need a lot of help... Call me old school but I just feel a threat at the RB position takes a lot of pressure off a young offense/QB. They can address the WR position with the 22nd or 37th pick.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 04-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #337
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I've said before, this year kind of sucks to be at #3 overall. No one really stands out that should be the pick there. Claiborne or Blackmon I'd be ok with, but they don't really have the elite physical attributes you'd hope for with someone going third overall.

They need help at offensive line for sure, but I'm not sure that they need Kalil. Even if he's the pick and as good as advertised, they're still weak at the other 4 offensive line spots for the opponents to exploit. I'm just not sure left tackle is worth the #3 overall pick and then the subsequent contract you'd have to give them if they pan out instead of finding an above average starter later on in the draft.

Not that Rick Speilman has shown the ability to find talent from the second round onwards though.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #338
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, I do believe you draft the BPA at a position that isn't overstocked already, but the BPA (in my view) has a sliding scale based on position & risk. I know the risk is less now than before but I also see the risk in passing over a player that can help you for 10+ years rather than 3-5 and hope for an intangible longevity that isn't typical of the position.

I'm not saying a RB is never worth taking that high. I guess I just follow the thinking that a great QB can make an avg line/RB appear to perform better, a great line can make an avg QB/RB appear to perform better, but a great RB canNOT make an avg QB/line appear to perform better.

So of the 3, the RB is the most ineffectual for the other 2.

I follow. I just think of it as one of those things where everyone states the same mantra and it results in an over-correction. Kind of like how a bunch of people can say "Player X is so underrated"...fast forward a few months and suddenly, he's overrated (h/t to Simmons).
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #339
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
They need help at offensive line for sure, but I'm not sure that they need Kalil. Even if he's the pick and as good as advertised, they're still weak at the other 4 offensive line spots for the opponents to exploit. I'm just not sure left tackle is worth the #3 overall pick and then the subsequent contract you'd have to give them if they pan out instead of finding an above average starter later on in the draft.

Not sure I follow you here regarding the second contract. Carl Nicks went from being a 5th round pick to getting the biggest contract (ever, I believe?) for a guard.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #340
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure I follow you here regarding the second contract. Carl Nicks went from being a 5th round pick to getting the biggest contract (ever, I believe?) for a guard.

It's because I think left tackle is a position where the top players are overpaid compared to their relative worth.

I'd love to have Joe Thomas on my teams offensive line, not sure I'd want him on the books for $13 million though.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #341
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Guess I'm on board for Tannehill at number eight in Miami. Shot in the dark, but when you've went a decade plus without a QB even a mediocre one is enough to give me a woody.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #342
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Guess I'm on board for Tannehill at number eight in Miami. Shot in the dark, but when you've went a decade plus without a QB even a mediocre one is enough to give me a woody.

Eh, getting the wrong QB but drafting him high enough that you feel like you have to commit to him is worse than not having anyone.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #343
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Define "mediocre".
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #344
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
OH - I agree with you. The Browns need a lot of help... Call me old school but I just feel a threat at the RB position takes a lot of pressure off a young offense/QB. They can address the WR position with the 22nd or 37th pick.
they used a 2nd on greg little last year and threw it to him a shit ton. i *think* they like him as a #1. but who knows.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #345
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I always enjoy making a NFL Mock Draft. The first mock I made was back in January, the second one in late February, and third one in early April, the fourth one a few days ago, and the final one today – the day of the draft. At this point in the process, I'm trying to get picks right. For example, I mock Quinton Coples to the Lions. I think he probably doesn't fall that far but I think the Lions are far more likely to take a chance on his work ethic concerns then teams like the Bears, Browns, and Titans. Basically, I believe the team most likely to end up with Coples is the Lions.

Also, I mocked top 10 draft pick trades only. I'd imagine trading will really pick up after pick 10 when the 5th year of rookie contracts become much more attractive.

Note: Many of the write-ups are exactly the same as my Mock Draft 4.0 from earlier this week.

2012 NFL Mock Draft 5.0

1st Round

1.Indianapolis Colts (2-14) – Andrew Luck, QB – Stanford
The Colts GM Ryan Grigson today officially confirmed that the Colts will indeed select Luck who is considered by many to be the best prospect in the draft since John Elway back in 1983.

2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams (2-14)) – Robert Griffin III, QB – Baylor
By trading up to the #2 pick in the NFL Draft for RG3, the Redskins could become a relevant franchise again.

3. Minnesota Vikings (3-13) – Morris Claiborne, CB – LSU
The momentum seems to be shifting towards the Vikings selecting Claiborne over Kalil if they are unable to trade down from the third overall pick. First Adam Schefter said that Kalil was not a lock at three and on Todd McShay said on Kiper's and his espn.com final pre-draft podcast that he hasn't heard what the Vikings will do but his gut is that they take Claiborne. Of course, this could always be a ploy to try to get the Buccaneers, who may have their hearts on Richardson or Claiborne to trade up. At this point, I'd say there is about a 40% chance this pick gets traded. Vegas has the odds of this pick getting traded at about 33% now.

4. Cleveland Browns (4-12) – Trent Richardson, RB - Alabama
If the rumors are true, the Browns intend on taking Richardson with the 4th overall pick even though the position has been devalued in recent years. If the Bucs trade up to the number three spot to take Richardson look for the Browns to select Morris Claiborne with this pick. Teams that Mike Holmgren has been the head coach or team president of have taken CBs 5 out of 22 times in the first round and 4 of 18 times in the second round (nearly 25% of the time). His teams have also taken safeties in the first or second round five times bringing the total percentage of first or second round picks spent on secondary players to 35%.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12) –Matt Kalil, OT – USC
The Buccaneers gave up a league high 494 points this season this past season. If Claiborne goes third to the Vikings the Buccaneers will have to decide whether to try to improve their defense by drafting a lesser prospect in Fletcher Cox or take the best player available in Kalil. Their current two starting tackles are decent but are by no means above average.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins (5-11) ) – Justin Blackmon, WR - Oklahoma State
The fact that the Rams didn't make a strong push for any receivers in a strong WR free agent class suggests this pick will be Blackmon. Blackmon would become the first WR 6'2" or shorter to be taken in the top six since the 5'11" Peter Warrick back in 2000. However, there is a decent chance this pick could end up being Fletcher Cox. While Jeff Fisher was the head coach in Tennessee, the Titans/Oilers selected a defensive linemen 4 out of 14 times in the first round and a 7 out of 17 times in the 2nd round.

Projected trade – Eagles trade 1.15 and 2.19 (1440 points) to the Jaguars for the 1.07 pick (1500 points)
The Eagles showed they aren't afraid of trading up for a player when they traded up for Brandon Graham in the 2010 NFL Draft. Further, both Peter King and Todd McShay have said that they hear the Eagles really like Cox and that they could trade up for him. If the Jaguars are unable to trade out of the 7 spot look for them to select CB Stephen Gilmore who has been linked to the Jaguars by Peter King and being projected to go to the Jaguars by both of cbs.com's primary mockers. There is enough interest in Cox and SS Mark Barron that I think this pick ultimately gets traded.

7. Philadelphia Eagles (from Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11))– Fletcher Cox, DT - Mississippi State
Fletcher Cox has emerged as the top DT prospect in this draft and is regarded as a very good pass rusher for a DT. The Eagles are no stranger to selecting defensive linemen having selected one with five out of their ten first round picks under Reid so Cox is someone the Eagles may well be targeting.

8. Miami Dolphins (6-10) - Ryan Tannehill, QB - Texas A&M
Look for the Dolphins to reunite Tannehill with his college head coach Mike Sherman if he makes it to the 8th pick in the draft. However, don't expect them to trade up for him unless they get paranoid and begin to believe that the Browns are going to take their guy at four.

9. Carolina Panthers (6-10) - Luke Kuechly, ILB - Boston College
On Kiper and McShay's final pre-draft podcast, McShay said he is hearing that there is a very good chance that Kuechly with the 9th overall pick. The Panthers don't have as a dire need at linebacker as they do at other defensive positions but Kuechly would still help shore up a defense that gave up the 6th most points in the league in 2011.

10. Buffalo Bills (6-10)– Mark Barron, SS - Alabama
According to Buffalo's WGR550 Joe Buscaglia the Bills are indeed extremely high on Barron and he is the front runner pick if the Bills don't trade down. The report was then disputed by CBS sportsline.com's Will Brinson who said that was just a smokescreen and that look for Michael Floyd to be the selection if they don't trade up for Kalil or trade down. Which one is true? I'm going to guess the one that came out first.

11. Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)) -David DeCastro, G - Stanford
With Kuechly looking like he's headed to Charlotte, the Chiefs pick arguably becomes the hardest one to predict. Lucky for them, the 5th year of rookie contracts become much more attractive at pick 11 so ultimately I believe the Chiefs will trade down. If they don't trade down, then DeCastro could be the pick. Pioli has proven to be unconventional in terms of positional value having taken a 3-4 DE third overall in 2009 and a safety fifth overall in 2010. Nonetheless, I'm having a hard time believing DeCastro will go this high.

12. Seattle Seahawks (7-9) -Michael Floyd, WR - Notre Dame
Nobody seems to be mocking Floyd to the Seahawks, but the Seahawks managed just 15 passing touchdowns in 2011 and finished 22nd in total passing yards. Sidney Rice has played in just 15 games in two years in the NFL and probably can't be relied on.

13. Arizona Cardinals (8-8) – Riley Reiff, OT - Iowa
The Cardinals are another team that Jason La Canfora says want to trade down due to the offensive line depth in this year's draft. If they get stuck at 13 and Michael Floyd is off the board, look for them to select Reiff if they believe he can be an effective LT in the NFL or OG David DeCastro if he can't. Either one should help a line that surrendered 54 sacks in 2011.

14. Dallas Cowboys (8-8) – Dontari Poe, NT - Memphis
Both Poe and safety Mark Barron have been linked the Cowboys' pick. Barron is the more widely projected pick but Poe may be the probable pick even if both are on the board because 350 pound athletic freaks are rare and the Poe rumors started first (i.e. the Barron talk could be a smokescreen).

15. Jacksonville Jaguars (form Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) )– Stephen Gilmore, CB - South Carolina

If the actual draft unfolded as above, the Jaguars would have the opportunity to draft the player at 15 that appears to possibly be their fallback option at 7 if they're unable to trade down. My gut tells me Gilmore will be off the board by 15 but Prince Amukamera did slip to the Giants at pick 19 last year.

16. N.Y. Jets (8-8)) – Chandler Jones, OLB/DE - Syracuse
Jones was once considered a 2nd round talent but he has been a late riser and now is considered a lock to go in the first round. The Jets gave Aaron Maybin a first round tender earlier this off season but ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes that Jones is one of few players that the Jets are looking at possibly taking with this pick.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Raiders (8-8)) –Dre Kirkpatrick, CB - Alabama
Kirkpatrick was cited for marijuana possession back in January and his stock has been slowly slipping since then. The Bengals, who need help at corner, don't shy away from players with red flags though and will likely look past that if they believe in Kirkpatrick's talent.

18. San Diego Chargers (8-8) – Stephen Hill, WR - Georgia Tech
Neither Michael Floyd nor Robert Meachem have shown to be anything more then serviceable WRs in their NFL careers. Consequently, the Chargers could surprise people by taking Hill. Hill is raw but the Chargers had no problems taking a flier on Northern Illinois OLB Larry English with the 16th overall pick in 2009. Hill ahead of Wright may be hard to digest but the Chargers like their WRs big.

19. Chicago Bears (8-8) –Melvin Ingram, DE - South Carolina
The Bears have shown interest in pairing Julius Peppers with a better pass rusher. Melvin Ingram was once projected in many mock drafts to go to the Jaguars with the 7th overall pick but his stock has been slipping due to having short arms for a DE.

20. Tennessee Titans (9-7) –Michael Brockers, DT – LSU
Because of concerns regarding his ability to rush the passer, Brockers could fall on draft day to the Titans. The Titans fished 31st in sacks in 2011 while giving up 4.5 ypc. However, they signed Kamerion Wimbley this off-season to play DE so a DT seems more likely here.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) – Kendall Wright, WR - Baylor
The Bengals didn't try to resign Jerome Simpson so Simpson finally signed with the Vikings this week. Cincinnati doesn't have a surefire WR to start opposite of A.J. Green so they could target Wright with their second 1st round pick.

22. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons (10-6) ) – Cordy Glenn, G/RT - Georgia
The Browns finished 30th in the NFL is rushing yards and 4.4 yards per carry so the Browns could go with an offensive linemen with this pick. Holmgren's teams have selected interior offensive linemen three times in the first round. That may not seem like a lot but it is when one considers how rare it is for centers and guards to go in the first round.

23. Detroit Lions (10-6) – Quinton Coples, DE - North Carolina
The Lions mantra under GM Martin Mayhew has been to select the best player available. Coples is considered a top 10 talent but has a good chance of falling in the draft due to concerns about his willingness to play and work hard. The Lions, however, have shown they aren't afraid to take a chance with a player with red flags and could very well select Coples with the 23rd overall pick despite already having a stacked defensive line. As of this morning, the Lions are reportedly looking to try to trade up to draft Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, or Barron.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) – Jonathan Martin, OT - Stanford
The Steelers surrendered 42 sacks in 2011 which tied for the 9th most in the NFL. Jonathan Martin, who is considered a better pass protector then run blocker, could help bring that total down.

25. Denver Broncos (8-8) – Jerel Worthy, DT - Michigan State
The Broncos lost 2011 starting DT Broderick Bunkley and may very well take advantage of a very deep defensive tackle draft and upgrade from the departed Bunkley through the draft.

26. Houston Texans (10-6) – Coby Fleener, TE - Stanford[
Neither Kevin Walter nor Jacoby Jones has ever blossomed into an upper end #2 WR despite being #2 and #3 on the depth chart for years. If the Texans are unable to get one of the top four wide receivers they could look to select the top pass catch tight end in the draft instead.

27. New England Patriots (from Saints (13-3)) – Shea McCellin, OLB - Boise State
Both of New England’s starting OLBs had solid seasons this year. However, neither one was a true force so it is a position the Patriots could potentially target McCellin in this year's draft. The only thing that could keep him out of the first round is his the fact that he's had three concussions.

28. Green Bay Packers (15-1) – Whitney Mercilus, OLB/DE - Illinois
Teams were able to double team Clay Mathews this season due to the lack of a threat the Packers had at the outside linebacker position opposite of him. The Packers might love nothing more then to pair him up with McCellin but might have to trade up in the draft to get him. Otherwise, they're have to settle on someone such as Mercilus.

29. Baltimore Ravens (12-4) – Don’ta Hightower, ILB – Alabama
Ray Lewis turns 37 in May so the Ravens can’t expect him to play much longer. There are questions regarding whether or not Hightower is a three down linebacker so he stands a good chance of being available at this point in the draft.

30. San Francisco 49ers (13-3) – Devon Still, DE/DT – Michigan State
49ers DE Justin Smith is coming off a solid season but he turns 33 in September. San Francisco may take advantage of a strong DT/3-4 DE class and select his long term replacement with their first round pick. Some people have the 49ers taking guard Kevin Zeitler or guard Amini Silatotu here because there is a rumor out there that the 49ers are confident that they will get who they are targeting in the first round with the 30th overall pick.

31. New England Patriots (13-3) – Harrison Smith, SS - Notre Dame
Expect the Patriots to trade this pick. However, if they are unable to trade down they could take Harrison Smith to shore up their shaky secondary. They were rumored to be interested in Smith early in the draft process and Todd McShay said he believed Smith stood a better then 50/50 chance of being selected in the first round on a recent ESPN podcast.

32. N.Y. Giants (9-7) – Doug Martin, RB – Boise State
The Giants rushing game was woeful last year during the regular season. Ahmad Bradshaw has had major issues staying healthy during his career thus far. The Giants typically wait until the later rounds to get their Rbs but could surprise people by taking one at the end of the first round.

2nd Round
1. St. Louis Rams – Kendall Reyes, DT – Connecticut
2. Indianapolis Colts – Nick Perry, OLB/DE - USC
3. Minnesota Vikings – Rueben Randle, WR - LSU
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Lavonte David, OLB - Nebraska
5. Cleveland Browns – Dwayne Allen, TE - Clemson
6. Jacksonville Jaguars – Andre Branch, DE – Clemson
7. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) – David Wilson, RB – Virginia Tech
8. Carolina Panthers - Alshon Jeffery, WR – South Carolina
9. Buffalo Bills – Bobby Massie, OT - Mississippi
10. Miami Dolphins - Mike Adams, OT – Ohio State
11. Seattle Seahawks – Courtney Upshaw, DE - Alabama
12. Kansas City Chiefs – Brandon Weeden, QB - Oklahoma State
13. Dallas Cowboys – Kevin Zeitler, G - Wisconsin
14. Philadelphia Eagles – Zach Brown, OLB – North Carolina
15. New York Jets –Amini Silatotu, G - Midwestern State
16. New England Patriots (From Oakland Raiders) – Janoris Jenkins, CB – North Alabama
17. San Diego Chargers – Jamell Fleming, CB - Oklahoma
18. Chicago Bears – Mohamed Sanu, WR - Rutgers
19. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Arizona Cardinals (via Philadelphia Eagles**) –A.J. Jenkins, WR - Illinois
20. Tennessee Titans – Vinny Curry, DE - Marshall
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Lamar Miller, RB - Miami (Fla.)
22. Detroit Lions – Josh Robinson, CB - UCF
23. Atlanta Falcons – Ronnell Lewis, OLB - Oklahoma
24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Keleche Osemele, G/OT – Iowa State
25. Denver Broncos – Jayron Hosley, CB - Virginia Tech
26. Houston Texans –Bruce Irvin, ILB/OLB – West Virginia
******New Orleans Saints - FORFEITED******
27. Green Bay Packers – Peter Konz, C – Wisconsin
28. Baltimore Ravens – Brandon Brooks, G - Miami (Ohio)
29. San Francisco 49ers –Juron Criner, WR - Arizona
30. New England Patriots –Jared Crick, DE Nebraska
31. New York Giants – Chris Givens, WR - Wake Forest

3rd round
1. Indianapolis Colts – Chris Polk, RB – Washington
2. St. Louis Rams – Jeff Allen, OT - Illinois
3. Minnesota Vikings –Brandon Thompson, DT - Clemson
4. Cleveland Browns – Brandon Boykin, CB - Georgia
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Bobby Wagner, OLB – Utah State
6. Washington Redskins- Trumaine Johnson, CB/S - Montana
7. Jacksonville Jaguars – Tyrone Crawford, DE – Boise State
8. Buffalo Bills – Casey Hayward, CB - Vanderbilt
9. Miami Dolphins – Brian Quick, WR – Appalachian State
10. Miami Dolphins – George Iloka, FS – Boise State
11. Kansas City Chiefs – Alameda Ta’amu, NT - Washington
12. Seattle Seahawks – LaMichael James, RB - Oregon
13. Houston Texans –Donald Stephenson, OT - Oklahoma
14. New York Jets – Billy Winn, DE – Boise State
15. San Diego Chargers –Isaiah Pead, RB - Cincinnati
16. Chicago Bears – Ladarius Green, TE – Louisiana-Lafayette
17. Arizona Cardinals –Marvin Jones, WR - California
18. Dallas Cowboys – Brandon Taylor, SS - LSU
19. Tennessee Titans – Trevin Wade, CB - Arizona
20. Cincinnati Bengals – Ben Jones, C - Georgia
21. Atlanta Falcons – Bernard Pierce, RB - Temple
22. Detroit Lions – Zebrie Sanders, OT – Florida State
23. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mychal Kendricks, ILB – California
24. Denver Broncos – Brock Osweiler, QB – Arizona State
25. Philadelphia Eagles – Ron Brooks, CB - LSU
26. New Orleans Saints – Cam Johnson, DE - Virginia
27. Green Bay Packers – Dwight Bentley, CB – Louisiana Lafayette
28. Baltimore Ravens – Derek Wolfe, 3-4 DE/DT - Cincinnnati
29. San Francisco 49ers – Orson Charles, TE - Georgia
30. New England Patriots – Ryan Broyles, WR - Oklahoma
31. New York Giants – Mitchell Swartz, OT - California
32. Oakland Raiders – Nigel Bradham, OLB – Florida State

blue - pick projected to be traded
green - a 1st round pick that has been changed since Mock Draft 4.0

Last edited by Racer : 04-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #346
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure if the Lions would move up to get another player with weed issues, but I would be ok with moving up to get Dre Kirkpatrick. Again, I don't get the DL pick. The OL is aging and the DBs are a huge weak spot as the Lions seem to only patchwork it together via free agency and it shows. Looks like the Lions have drafted one CB in the first 3 rounds since 2006.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #347
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone made a "how is Minnesota going to be late for their pick this year" joke?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #348
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Has anyone made a "how is Minnesota going to be late for their pick this year" joke?

SI

I've love to be late with the pick and get a player like Kevin Williams again.

I was glad at the thought that Mike Tice got revenge on the Ravens last year with them being the ones not to have a trade called in last year.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #349
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i don't get the richardson lovefest. sure he looks like a ray rice clone but the kid out of boise looks just as good.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #350
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i don't get the richardson lovefest. sure he looks like a ray rice clone but the kid out of boise looks just as good.

Look at the competition each faced week in and out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote