Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I'm kind of surprised The Mike O'Malley Show made it to episode 2.

So was O'Malley
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #302
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I have Do No Harm on my DVR - maybe I will wait to check it out to see if it lasts another week...
Based off what I've heard it's entirely worth it in a MST3K way. I don't know how the American public collectively divined it's atrociousness before it aired, but it apparently contains terrible acting, awkward cut-scenes, and either really easily remedied plot points or ones that are glossed over for a nonsensical reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I the only one who likes Suits? For a USA show, it doesn't come across as a USA show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'm a fan. Psych, White Collar, Burn Notice and Suits are must-sees for me every week.

I think it's pretty much in-line with the USA formula -- smart, funny self-contained episodes with easy-to-pick-up short story arcs and one broader arc that gets brushed periodically until the occasional meltdown.

The USA show that doesn't come across as a USA show for me is Necessary Roughness. I slogged my way through season one but season two just got too much for me to take Callie Thorne really grates on my nerves. If they had swapped her and Sarah Shahi from Fairly Legally I'd probably have liked both shows better.

Covert Affairs was really good to start but seemed to lose some of its charm in season 3.
kcchief hits it for me, with the exception that I think (despite my love of Bruce Campbell) Burn Notice lost it, or rather reiterated it, around 2-3 seasons ago - although I will be 100% back on board if they start making fun of CSI again. (It's also a running joke when I watch with my mom/sisters why Fiona is considered attractive. Set the show in Buffalo or even Boston, sure, set it in Miami and security guys aren't exactly turning their heads.)

Psych is another show that really hasn't progressed plot-wise past season 2 or so, but I think the chemistry between the two main characters is genuine enough it can carry the show through dull patches. White Collar has done a little better job developing supporting characters, but is kind of at a crossroads, and needs a shakeup if they're going to continue on.

Suits has done the best at creating a world around the two main characters, to the point my only real complaint is why they keep trying to force the Mike/Rachel like each other, but can't be together because of X scenario... but like all USA shows it's based on a premise (Michael wants to find who burned him, Sean is a fake psychic, we don't know if Neal wants to go straight or set up for a bigger score, Mike? didn't go to Harvard Law) that's fun, but can only really hold up for a season or two before it loses any suspense.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-02-2013 at 04:10 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #303
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

What I mean by a USA show is that they all tend to give off a campy sort of feel to them. Royal Pains being a good example. I just feel like Suits would fit in just fine on AMC or a Premium Channel.

I'm not digging the Mike/Rachel stuff either, but I do like the scenes she is in regardless of what she's doing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #304
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
kcchief hits it for me, with the exception that I think (despite my love of Bruce Campbell) Burn Notice lost it, or rather reiterated it, around 2-3 seasons ago - although I will be 100% back on board if they start making fun of CSI again. (It's also a running joke when I watch with my mom/sisters why Fiona is considered attractive. Set the show in Buffalo or even Boston, sure, set it in Miami and security guys aren't exactly turning their heads.)
I'm with you on Burn Notice. I thought this season was easily its worst. I'm sure they thought it was artistic to put Michael through a trauma, cross a line then go on the run while fighting with his friends and family. But it really cut into the heart of the show where you know who you're rooting for and eventually things work out. This season wasn't funny, had no heart and was grueling to get through.
Quote:
Psych is another show that really hasn't progressed plot-wise past season 2 or so, but I think the chemistry between the two main characters is genuine enough it can carry the show through dull patches. White Collar has done a little better job developing supporting characters, but is kind of at a crossroads, and needs a shakeup if they're going to continue on.
I'm looking forward to the new season of Psych to see if last season's cliffhanger spices things up. The chemistry of the cast is so terrific that the show is still funny and engaging, but I would like to see some jazzier plots. There are a couple of episodes of this new season I'm really looking forward to, especially the "Clue" episode. I'm not a big fan of the current Neal's father plotline, but White Collar is solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What I mean by a USA show is that they all tend to give off a campy sort of feel to them. Royal Pains being a good example. I just feel like Suits would fit in just fine on AMC or a Premium Channel.

I'm not digging the Mike/Rachel stuff either, but I do like the scenes she is in regardless of what she's doing.
That makes sense. I think it's hard to be quirky on the Big Four broadcast networks. Even White Collar has its quirks.

I've been an advocate for a long time that if NBC were smart, it would use its cable nets as a farm system to develop cheap, engaging shows, and if they prove to be worthy promote to the broadcast network and reward them with a budget. When you factor in reairings, The top 5 shows on USA would all beat the the average show on NBC. So move Suits to NBC, and let USA try to develop the next show. What's the worst that could happen? Suits could possibly do worse than Do No Harm did -- it's already beating it from cable.

USA has a lot of hot, underrated B-list female characters. I'm OK with Rachel on screen as much as possible.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #305
DanGarion
Coordinator

Honestly I'm still pissed that TBS cancelled Wedding Band, thought it was a really good entertaining 60 minute adult comedy, something we don't see a lot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Honestly I'm still pissed that TBS cancelled Wedding Band, thought it was a really good entertaining 60 minute adult comedy, something we don't see a lot.

I meant to DVR, so it was probably my fault. It sounded like the type of show that should have made it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #307
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

That was a horrible cancelation. It wasn't the greatest show ever but it was worth watchng. Would have made a great summer show.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #308
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So we are to believe that finch originally set up john and the girl in order to eliminate the computer bug that could destroy the machine?

I would highly doubt it.

My bet is that an upcoming story line has this new set of "Titans" trying to find Finch. They gave her his name to have her find him. Now that she's not available they will try other means. The hard drive he has could be a key.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #309
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
That was a horrible cancelation. It wasn't the greatest show ever but it was worth watchng. Would have made a great summer show.

I thought the concept of these guys jamming and singing a few songs per episode was more than enough to keep it on the air for a few years.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I would highly doubt it.

My bet is that an upcoming story line has this new set of "Titans" trying to find Finch. They gave her his name to have her find him. Now that she's not available they will try other means. The hard drive he has could be a key.

Hmm, I suppose so. I knew she was toast when i saw her pop up on the following a few weeks ago.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #311
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmm, I suppose so. I knew she was toast when i saw her pop up on the following a few weeks ago.

Love the way she went out though.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #312
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I've been an advocate for a long time that if NBC were smart, it would use its cable nets as a farm system to develop cheap, engaging shows, and if they prove to be worthy promote to the broadcast network and reward them with a budget. When you factor in reairings, The top 5 shows on USA would all beat the the average show on NBC. So move Suits to NBC, and let USA try to develop the next show. What's the worst that could happen? Suits could possibly do worse than Do No Harm did -- it's already beating it from cable.

USA has a lot of hot, underrated B-list female characters. I'm OK with Rachel on screen as much as possible.
Iirc, they half-assed an attempt at putting Psych on NBC a couple years ago. I don't think it was marketed at all, or done properly (for some reason, I think it was a re-run), but it seems like that was their attempt at it and they'll use that as a reason not to ever do it again.

I definitely agree with you on the latter part, and clearly I'm not the only one - Fairly Legal on USA - Front Office Football Central
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #313
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Iirc, they half-assed an attempt at putting Psych on NBC a couple years ago. I don't think it was marketed at all, or done properly (for some reason, I think it was a re-run), but it seems like that was their attempt at it and they'll use that as a reason not to ever do it again.

I definitely agree with you on the latter part, and clearly I'm not the only one - Fairly Legal on USA - Front Office Football Central

I think it might have been Monk instead of Psych.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #314
Suicane75
Coordinator

IIRC Monk started out as an ABC show and only made it a handful of episodes before it got canceled/bought? By USA.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #315
kcchief19
Pro Starter

It's been tried, but very half-assed. ABC developed Monk but never ran first-run episodes before kicking the show to USA, which they owned at the time. During Monk's first season they were airing episodes a week or two after they aired. The tried the same setup again a few years later.

NBC pulled the stunt a couple of times, again airing old episodes. They reran episodes of Psych for a couple of weeks in March a few years ago, then in the summer aired reruns of Psych, Sci-Fi's Battlestar Galactica and Bravo's Project Runway.

Regardless, airing old episodes in the summer or burning them off on a Saturday night is hardly a try out. I'd be interested in seeing what Covert Affairs or Suits might do on NBC with the right promotion and time slot.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #316
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Couple of tidbits for the ratings junkies like myself ...

Quote:
In week 19 of the broadcast television season ending Sunday, February 3, 2013, CBS came in first place among adults 18-49 with a 8.9 rating average. FOX came in second with a 2.2. ABC was third with a 1.4. NBC was fourth with a 1.2. The CW finished last with a 0.6 adults 18-49 rating average. CBS won the week with total viewers, with 27.997 million viewers, ahead of second place FOX with 6.233 million viewers. ABC was third with 4.661 million. NBC was fourth with 3.8550 million followed by the CW with 1.606 million.
If you ever wonder why networks spend a bundle on the NFL, here's why. The Super Bowl alone is enough to boost CBS's average primetime 18-49 number by about .25 of a point for the entire season. That's tens of millions in ad revenue alone.

On the other end of the football spectrum, NBC has completed their first-to-worst transition now that SNF is done. I still don't know why there was so much hoopla over NBC's fall numbers since it was evident from the math that there demo numbers were entirely boosted by the NFL. Still some mid-season shuffling going on but February sweeps should give us indication of where everyone is.

Another note ... Smash absolutely tanked on its return, delivering a 1.1 in the demo. The Betty White birthday special was its lead-in, so you could dismiss it as a bad matchup. But it didn't even keep that audience, so hard to say what will happen when Go On/New Normal are the lead-in. NBC is in sad shape.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #317
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regardless, airing old episodes in the summer or burning them off on a Saturday night is hardly a try out. I'd be interested in seeing what Covert Affairs or Suits might do on NBC with the right promotion and time slot.

Not to mention (in the case of Covert Affairs at least) the budget.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #318
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Do No Harm pulled from the schedule. And Christina Applegate quits Up All Night. Go On and the New Normal posting series lows. NBC looking good in regular season.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #319
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
On the other end of the football spectrum, NBC has completed their first-to-worst transition now that SNF is done. I still don't know why there was so much hoopla over NBC's fall numbers since it was evident from the math that there demo numbers were entirely boosted by the NFL. Still some mid-season shuffling going on but February sweeps should give us indication of where everyone is.

I think that "The Voice" was the biggest factor in NBC's Monday and Tuesday fall ratings.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #320
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do No Harm pulled from the schedule. And Christina Applegate quits Up All Night. Go On and the New Normal posting series lows. NBC looking good in regular season.
Do No Harm was impressive -- it posted a 0.7 in the demo. They don't go head to head, but Do No Harm barely edged out Beauty and the Beast on the CW. Suits on USA pulverized it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I think that "The Voice" was the biggest factor in NBC's Monday and Tuesday fall ratings.
No doubt that was a big factor as well. I just thought it was noteworthy that if you removed SNF from the equation, NBC's 18-49 number in the fall was worse than their number last year, although everyone seemed to think that NBC had made a recovery.

The Voice covered up a lot of problems. Early returns so far suggest that Revolution and Go On/New Normal benefited from The Voice lead ins. I know The Voice is coming back this spring, and I'm assuming it's returning to Monday/Tuesday. That will stem some of the bleeding, but now they have a gaping hole on Thursdays to fill.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #321
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Really happy Smash bombed. Hopefully that means Parenthood is guaranteed a renewal.

Interesting that Letterman won three nights in Households. Kimmel was 3rd every night in Households and was only noticeably strong in 18-49 on Thursday.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hopefully that means Parenthood is guaranteed a renewal.

FWIW, TVbythenumbers has it currently as a lock for renewal.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #323
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really interested in the Americans this week. The Reagan assassination is the focus of the episode.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #324
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Really interested in the Americans this week. The Reagan assassination is the focus of the episode.

Liked the first two episodes but third one was blah. The shows filming is so dark it's tough to see some scenes. Also needs a lot more 80s atmosphere in my opinion.

Last edited by rowech : 02-18-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #325
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am a little bummed about Do No Harm, thought it was an interesting concept and Steven Pasquale was doing a pretty good job, IMO. Oh well...

Not all that surprised about Up All Night, although that one does bum me out. My wife and I really enjoyed that show and as soon as they announced the whole format switch, I knew it was the kiss of death. Not at all surprised that Applegate wanted out.

We also finally got to watching The Americans - VERY much enjoying it thus far. Didn't think I would like Keri Russell as much as I do, but she is doing a bang-up job alongside Matthew Rhys.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #326
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The NBC cratering continues ...

NBC To Finish 5th In Sweeps For First Time; Network Falls Behind Univision - Yahoo! TV

Not a huge surprise because Univision has beaten a network for a month before and has had some very strong single-night showings as well. But to hand it to NBC during a sweeps month when NBC is trying ... ouch. Have to wonder what kind of effect this performance will have on the affiliates -- could be another mini-revolt in the making.

Community dropped big in its second week back, so the glimmer of renewal hope offered by the premiere's rating is pretty much gone. Haven't seen tonight's episode, but the first two just weren't the same as the first three seasons. The magic is gone.

The Americans has been renewed for season two. Hoping to catch up with that show soon ... sounds like a winner.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
T Have to wonder what kind of effect this performance will have on the affiliates -- could be another mini-revolt in the making.

Question is, where the heck would the angry affiliates go? Finishing 5th means that they're still beating CW or any sort of independent route.

Their might be a few flips in a few places if the timing was right but honestly, their options in the vast majority of markets are pretty much nil. They can bitch but I don't know that the network really gives a big crap beyond being annoyed.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #328
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Community dropped big in its second week back, so the glimmer of renewal hope offered by the premiere's rating is pretty much gone. Haven't seen tonight's episode, but the first two just weren't the same as the first three seasons. The magic is gone.

I'm torn between wanting it cancelled and holding out hope that they find a way to change it and make it better. For now its off my DVR, I'll keep reading reviews in hopes that it turns around, but I wouldn't expect it during this 13 episode run, only if it gets extended and they get to learn from how bad this is and try to do something totally different with these characters.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #329
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the episode was fine. The first episode was bad, but I've liked the last 2. Its never going to be Season 2 again, but that's ok!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #330
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Smash, the New Normal both at .9 and smash hit freshman "comedy" Goon does a 1.1. Yet Betty White scores a 1.3 and a 1.4 somehow. That's your Tuesday NBC
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Finishing 5th means that they're still beating CW or any sort of independent route.

I don't usually quote myself but in this case maybe a revision is in order. I thought about this thread when the overnight's for Atlanta showed up in my inbox this morning.

8p Community -- 1.2 HH rtg ... that's 7th among broadcast networks, trailing not only the big three but also Ind. WPCH (1.6 Meet The Browns syndication) and UPN WUPA (2.0 Vampire Diaries) and Ind. WATL (1.2 White Collar syndication)

830p Parks & Rec -- 0.9 HH rtg ... 7th among broadcast ... trailing Ind WPCH (House of Payne syn) and the 2nd half of shows on WUPA & WATL

9p Parks & Rec -- 0.9 HH rtg ... 7th among broadcast ... behind the big three as well as another ep of Meet the Browns syn. , another ep of White Collar syn. and Beauty & the Beast.

930p 1600 Penn -- 0.5 HH rtg ... 7th among broadcast, behind more Payne and the 2nd half of the other shows

10p L&O SVU -- 1.7 HH rtg for the hour ... 4th among broadcast as it edged out WPCH Seinfeld syn (1.4), WUPA HIMYM (0.5) and WATL (0.2) local news*/30 Rock syn combo.

Also 1135p Leno beat everything in NBC prime with a 1.8 HH, and the first half of 1235a Fallon beat the whole 830p-10p block with a 1.0 (finished with a 0.8 for the entire hour).

*Somewhat ironically considering the discussion here, the local NBC affiliate produces a 10p newscast for indy WATL.

Also noting here that I used HH rtg for the comparison but the primary demo A18-49 ratings were even lower for every NBC show except the 9p Parks & Rec
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #332
Butter
Coordinator

So, should NBC consider putting Leno back at 10 PM? How much further can they fall before we see some panic change?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #333
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, should NBC consider putting Leno back at 10 PM? How much further can they fall before we see some panic change?

I thought Leno at 10pm was giving them even worse ratings than their scripted programming.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #334
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

That's pretty crazy. I know they have bad shows, but not all are bad. Maybe it's just been years of this that has dragged the network down and people aren't clicking to NBA.

Maybe they should think of swapping over some USA programs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #335
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Question is, where the heck would the angry affiliates go? Finishing 5th means that they're still beating CW or any sort of independent route.

Their might be a few flips in a few places if the timing was right but honestly, their options in the vast majority of markets are pretty much nil. They can bitch but I don't know that the network really gives a big crap beyond being annoyed.
I'd agree that network switches aren't as likely as they once were due to the larger affiliate groups and cross ownership. But a high-performing local NBC affiliate could still angle to improve their network if the Fox, ABC or CBS affiliate in their market is ailing.

The greater threat is dumping worthless network programming for better performing syndicated or cheaper local programming. If you're losing money on news because NBC primetime is sucking you need to make that money elsewhere. Maybe you do that by dumping the third or fourth hours of Today and going with local news. Maybe you push Fallon back an hour and load in your reruns of The Big Bang Theory and 2 1/2 Men. Since NBC doesn't even try on Fridays and Saturdays, maybe you dump that for local sports or a movie. That helps you but hurts NBC.

Our NBC local affiliate here has been known to preempt primetime reruns for local news specials.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe you do that by dumping the third or fourth hours of Today and going with local news.

Most of the markets I'm seeing at the moment are getting more out of Today II & III than their midday locals (I know it was just an example, I just happen to kinda notice that this week).

And unless they already own them, those syndi strips probably aren't going to outperform Fallon (who isn't awful really, ratings wise).

The dumping Fridays/Saturdays angle, that I can see. (A lot of Sat/Sun afternoons too).
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #337
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most of the markets I'm seeing at the moment are getting more out of Today II & III than their midday locals (I know it was just an example, I just happen to kinda notice that this week).
The catch is that in the right situation you can make more money with a cheap local or syndi show than a network show. In my radio days, I worked for a station owner who had also owned the ABC affiliate in town and was notorious for dumping network primetime reruns for old movies and such. The reason was that even if the ratings were lower, he got 100% of the ad revenue instead of 30-50%.

Quote:
And unless they already own them, those syndi strips probably aren't going to outperform Fallon (who isn't awful really, ratings wise).
I'm not picking on Fallon, just acknowledging that you might make more money as a local airing programming where you get more revenue than you do for network programming. You might get better ratings with Leno, an hour of strong comedies, then Fallon rather than airing the comedies after Fallon.

KC has two examples of this working. The ABC affiliate still bumps Kimmel to an hour after the late local news following 2 1/2 Men and Big Bang Theory. They've used this strategy for a couple of decades now, going back to when MASH and later Seinfeld filled those slots. They still perform so well that they refused pressure from ABC to bump the comedy slot when Kimmel moved to 11:30. I haven't seen Kimmel's clearance number, so I wonder if he's suffering from not having the same clearance percentage Nightline had.

The CBS affiliate here bumps Ferguson a half hour for Insider. Not sure how it impacts their ratings, but I know it helps the bottom line. Even $500 extra a night adds up over a year.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #338
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm torn between wanting it cancelled and holding out hope that they find a way to change it and make it better. For now its off my DVR, I'll keep reading reviews in hopes that it turns around, but I wouldn't expect it during this 13 episode run, only if it gets extended and they get to learn from how bad this is and try to do something totally different with these characters.
This came up last week in the Community thread too, but I'm siding more with it being cancelled. At this point I continue to watch because I'm invested in the show and the characters, but I feel like I'm being ripped off. Cancelling the show would save me time and emotional pain.

The only option I see to save the show is get it off NBC. Comedy Central already owns the syndication, so they have a financial investment in saving the show. Maybe they pick it up ala Futurama. Maybe it's worthy of a Netflix investment. Pick up the show, can the new producers and bring Dan Harman back. Only way to save the show.

Otherwise, kill it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not picking on Fallon, just acknowledging that you might make more money as a local airing programming where you get more revenue than you do for network programming.

Trust me, I'm not defending Fallon

Quote:
... following 2 1/2 Men and Big Bang Theory. They've used this strategy for a couple of decades now, going back to when MASH and later Seinfeld filled those slots.

Yeah, if you own 'em already then it makes sense. Just not sure the math is there if you have to buy 'em for that purpose. That was probably my train of thought since the affiliate in Atlanta doesn't really have anything useful like that to speak of (their syndi lineup includes mostly 2nd tier talkers and Jeopardy ... which I suspect they'd be cautious about doubling up since it could hurt ratings on the first airing)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #340
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I thought Leno at 10pm was giving them even worse ratings than their scripted programming.

That was some modified version of the Tonight show. I wonder if moving the Tonight Show to 10pm would actually work now.

Anyways, I think NBC should invest in more football related programming in the fall...maybe like a reality show and some sort of talking heads prime time show with celebrities making picks.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyways, I think NBC should invest in more football related programming in the fall...maybe like a reality show and some sort of talking heads prime time show with celebrities making picks.

Or maybe in other months, like the off-season perhaps?

2013 NFL combine -- NFL pushing for changes to offseason, sources say - ESPN

Quote:
The NFL is proposing an overhaul to its offseason calendar, pushing back the combine to early March, the start of free agency to early April and the draft to early May, according to league sources... The idea is to lengthen the NFL offseason and make sure football is relevant during a longer offseason period with one big event in each month. It also would create a new revenue stream for the NFL, with each event producing added money for the league.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #342
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Interesting thoughts. Here's another:
Quote:
NBC late last week agreed to a deal that would put Big East football and basketball games primarily on NBC Sports Network, with the ability to move some games to NBC's broadcast network. ESPN had to decide whether to match that deal by Thursday. It matched the rights fee but is not likely to put any games on its broadcast network, ABC. Sources say ESPN is likely to sublicense a significant amount of games to other networks, such as Fox Sports, which is launching Fox Sports 1 this summer.
What if NBC decided to promise a major college conference a primetime slot on network TV for kicking their rights to NBC Sports and their cable channel? Could Friday or Saturday night college sports couldn't be worse than what NBC is currently airing, and it could pull a league from ESPN.

Of course, I don't know why leagues even consider deals other than ESPN. The Broadcast Leader pretty much ignores any sport not on their air (NHL) and over promote any sport they own (NBA and soccer).
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #343
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was some modified version of the Tonight show. I wonder if moving the Tonight Show to 10pm would actually work now.
Here's a number that illustrates how irrelevant broadcast network TV may have become ...

In 2009, The Jay Leno Show in prime time Tuesday nights average a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demo and 6 million viewers. That ranked 69th in the demo and 83rd among viewers for all shows that season. Those numbers this year would make it a top 25 who in the demo and a top 40 show among viewers.

That said, if Leno were back in prime today his numbers would be worse as well. Probably a lot worse since his lead-ins would be even more awful.

I think we should start a thread to come up with ideas on how to save NBC.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we should start a thread to come up with ideas on how to save NBC.

Getting it out of Comcrap's hands might be a good start
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #345
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Getting it out of Comcrap's hands might be a good start
Yeah, I think you've got something there. As the entity once known as AOL Time Warner Inc. continues to break into smaller parts, you'd think Comcast/NBC Universal would have learned something.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #346
Suicane75
Coordinator

A TV draft doesn't sound like a bad idea. Form a network, fill all the agreed upon time slots.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #347
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ok..here's what I was thinking

10 rounds
4 networks, 3 players per network
Each network will program 5 nights (sunday to thursday) and 16 hours

One member will head the team and organize the schedule. He will also have the ability to create/program up to 6hrs/week of event programming and may select when his team is on the clock/allocate his team's 2 selections per round

Head of comedy programming-will develop/acquire/remake comedy programming.

Director of dramatic programming-similar to comedy.

Each team may make up to 8 hours of projects from the following 3 areas
-original programming
-existing programming
-remake/adaptation programming
And may choose the lead actor of the show. Once the actor is selected he is booked and cannot be selected again.

For example if "Tom Sellick as Magnum PI solving crimes in a retirement community" us chosen, nobody can draft "Blue Bloods"

Thoughts

Last edited by stevew : 02-22-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #348
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the Following is a fucked up show
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
the Following is a fucked up show

I'm pretty sure it's garbage but I will watch a couple more episodes.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #350
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok..here's what I was thinking

10 rounds
4 networks, 3 players per network
Each network will program 5 nights (sunday to thursday) and 16 hours

One member will head the team and organize the schedule. He will also have the ability to create/program up to 6hrs/week of event programming and may select when his team is on the clock/allocate his team's 2 selections per round

Head of comedy programming-will develop/acquire/remake comedy programming.

Director of dramatic programming-similar to comedy.

Each team may make up to 8 hours of projects from the following 3 areas
-original programming
-existing programming
-remake/adaptation programming
And may choose the lead actor of the show. Once the actor is selected he is booked and cannot be selected again.

For example if "Tom Sellick as Magnum PI solving crimes in a retirement community" us chosen, nobody can draft "Blue Bloods"

Thoughts

Not sure about the multiple players per network. I think that will lead to confusion and other problems. It'd be better with just 8-10 networks. Love the idea other than that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote