Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #301
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Turned this on a while ago and it was 65-0 JMU in the third quarter. Jesus.

SHSU played a cupcake schedule compared to most of the higher ranked fcs schools. I didn't think they'd have much to offer JMU.

Next week's game against NDSU should be tough. The Bison have gotten better the last couple weeks with some guys getting healthy again, but they have still looked beatable too.

I think Youngstown will give Eastern Washington fits, but I don't think they can stop that passing game. It would be very cool to finish the year with the game that started it with NDSU playing Eastern for the championship. They were the last team before the Bison to win, and the last team to beat the Bison in the playoffs, six years ago.

Makes for a great storyline.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #302
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Eh, half of these programs even existing could be considered participation trophies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bullshit.

These aren't participation trophies, they are corporations deciding they can market effectively and profit from a football game. To do that, though, they need teams. They aren't getting trophies, they're being employed to further the goals of the sponsors and broadcasters.

Yes and no.
A bowl is the only way to get the NCAA to allow you those 15 additional practices. 15 practices without an opponent to prepare for is HUGE for every team even more so for a young staff. It is evaluation time. It is fundamental time. It allows you to work red shirts in to the mix.

Look at it this way. A regular season:
Monday is install day. You are installing the specific wrinkles for that weeks opponents.
Tuesday is practice.
Wednesday is practice.
Thursday is review the 2 previous days practice films and evaluate and a half practice.
Friday is shell walk through.
Darn near every team follows this outline basically. So 15 practices is essentially 5 more weeks of practice as really you only get 2.5 days of true practice each week.

That is why team WANT a low level bow bid.

Why they dont want it, is that bid comes with requirements. The school/AD is required to buy a certain number of tickets. Whether or not they can sell those tickets to the bowl game they have to pay 90% of face value for them. (110-125% in CFP bowls) The you factor in travel costs and lodging etc. Even big bowls games are usually a loss for a team on a hard finance level.

The bowls themselves ensure break even by the ticket guarantees and then any advertising they sell is profit.

Thats is why you see "accepted an invitation" it should actually read "School X has agreed to pay the ransom for Bowl Y"

Traveling fan bases used to matter because the bowl was on the hook to sell tickets. Now they matter only because they know the school will accept a higher guarantee rate. And it isnt level for everyone. It is a point of negotiation.

The reason bowls need to contract is because the bottom 20 or so are actually a financial sink on the football programs. The NCAA allows a kid to go to FL and accept $250 in freebies while mandating the school take $500 per player (or more) out of their budget that could be used for things like equipment or accommodations.

I wish they would eliminate 15 bowls OR just allow every team 15 December practices regardless of bowl status...then watch teams turn down these bowls and solve the problem themselves.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #303
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I wish they would eliminate 15 bowls OR just allow every team 15 December practices regardless of bowl status...then watch teams turn down these bowls and solve the problem themselves.
Giving every program extra practices would indeed solve it - and frankly would be fair. But there's clearly financial incentive for the NCAA to continue with the existing system.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #304
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes and no.
A bowl is the only way to get the NCAA to allow you those 15 additional practices. 15 practices without an opponent to prepare for is HUGE for every team even more so for a young staff. It is evaluation time. It is fundamental time. It allows you to work red shirts in to the mix.

Look at it this way. A regular season:
Monday is install day. You are installing the specific wrinkles for that weeks opponents.
Tuesday is practice.
Wednesday is practice.
Thursday is review the 2 previous days practice films and evaluate and a half practice.
Friday is shell walk through.
Darn near every team follows this outline basically. So 15 practices is essentially 5 more weeks of practice as really you only get 2.5 days of true practice each week.

That is why team WANT a low level bow bid.

Why they dont want it, is that bid comes with requirements. The school/AD is required to buy a certain number of tickets. Whether or not they can sell those tickets to the bowl game they have to pay 90% of face value for them. (110-125% in CFP bowls) The you factor in travel costs and lodging etc. Even big bowls games are usually a loss for a team on a hard finance level.

The bowls themselves ensure break even by the ticket guarantees and then any advertising they sell is profit.

Thats is why you see "accepted an invitation" it should actually read "School X has agreed to pay the ransom for Bowl Y"

Traveling fan bases used to matter because the bowl was on the hook to sell tickets. Now they matter only because they know the school will accept a higher guarantee rate. And it isnt level for everyone. It is a point of negotiation.

The reason bowls need to contract is because the bottom 20 or so are actually a financial sink on the football programs. The NCAA allows a kid to go to FL and accept $250 in freebies while mandating the school take $500 per player (or more) out of their budget that could be used for things like equipment or accommodations.

Yes.

I was talking about it from the sponsor's point of view. The games exist because people can make money off of them, not because they want to reward mediocre teams.

Honestly, I'm not sure why there hasn't been a big push to allow the December practices for everyone. I would think all the coaches would be in favor of this.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #305
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At least with a game on the horizon, there is something "in it" for the players, along with a trip. As a former coach, a month of post-season practice with no games to play or carrot to really motivate anybody DURING FINALS MONTH FOLLOWED BY WINTER BREAK is far from ideal.

Hell, people who get actual salaries in office jobs aren't always that productive in December.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #306
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Notre Dame Fighting Irish QB DeShone Kizer declaring for draft
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #307
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, I don't see December practices for 4-8 teams and then coming back for spring ball going over that well.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #308
Logan
Head Coach

Nuts:

BREAKING: Former Wake Forest Football Assistant Provided Game Plan Information to Opponents - Blogger So Dear
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #309
Logan
Head Coach

Oh and #WakeyLeaks is GOLD.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #310
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So the new WF coach didn't change the game plans at all when we came on-board? Or as a radio guy did he have special access to the new coach's game planning sessions? Confused on what info he could have passed on, if he wasn't on the new head coach's staff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #311
digamma
Torchbearer

I assume he got access to practice and being a former coach was able to pass on info on game prep?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #312
bronconick
College Starter

"I am extremely disappointed that our confidential and proprietary game preparation was compromised. It’s incomprehensible that a former Wake Forest student-athlete, graduate-assistant, full-time football coach, and current radio analyst for the school, would betray his alma mater. We allowed him to have full access to our players, team functions, film room, and practices. He violated our trust which negatively impacted our entire program. I am glad we have taken steps to ensure it will not happen in the future. At this point, this is a matter for Ron Wellman and others to act on. My staff and I are focused on Temple and preparing the team for the Military Bowl." - Clawson
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #313
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
We allowed him to have full access to our players, team functions, film room, and practices.

That answers the question I had.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #314
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wonder how big this ends up getting....

Was it just sour grapes? Or was he laying big bucks on the opposition
Old 12-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I didn't even think about the betting aspect, I figured he was just selling it.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #316
tarcone
Coordinator

Trouble in Gopher land

Ten Gophers football players suspended - StarTribune.com

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:43 AM   #317
miami_fan
Coordinator

The rare story that actually made me "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

None of the scenarios going through my head seem plausible.

The guy gets so pissed that he got let go from the coaching staff that he sabotages the entire program?

The guy is so bad off financially that he is try to sell the game plans or used that info to assist with gambling?

I know college football is big business. I know this may be incredibly naive of me.Looking at the Demon Deacon 2016 football schedule, which one of these opposing teams are accepting inside info on Wake Forest football?

Weird weird story.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #318
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

So, this incident happened concurrent with the first game of the season and they're just NOW getting suspended?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #319
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Have to wonder if he WAS selling it, who was buying?

Gambling angle makes more sense, considering the guy sounds like he had money... he was fired from his other job as well which was at a venture capital firm.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #320
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Is anyone surprised that it looks like a Bobby Petrino team was involved?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 12-14-2016 at 08:15 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #321
Kodos
Resident Alien

247Sports

Looks like IU opens next season against Ohio State on August 31st. So Tom Allen's first two games as a head coach at the college level will be a bowl game and then OSU. Let's end OSU's streak against us, Tom!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #322
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

I'm reading elsewhere that it does appear to be gambling related and possibly not just him. The theory is that he was the operative for something more organized.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #323
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm reading elsewhere that it does appear to be gambling related and possibly not just him. The theory is that he was the operative for something more organized.

Wow....hadn't heard that. That would be... interesting.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #324
Atocep
Coordinator

Matt Canada gets $1.3 mil per year to be LSU's OC and associate head coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #325
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wasn't that long ago that he was on IU's staff.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #326
lungs
Pro Rookie

Matt Canada wasn't all that popular of a coach among the fanbase at Wisconsin for his one year. Of course Justin Wilcox probably isn't endeared much at USC and look at him now.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #327
tarcone
Coordinator

Could this Wake Forest thing blow up and damage college football?
Or is this the first step in dumping the NCAA and the schools coming together into a 4 conference Super League?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #328
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Matt Canada gets $1.3 mil per year to be LSU's OC and associate head coach.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #329
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Of course Justin Wilcox probably isn't endeared much at USC and look at him now.
That stint at USC is pretty much the only blemish on his resume. He was outstanding at Boise State, good at Tennessee and very good at Washington. I think our current DC is better, but Wilcox is a damn good coach.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #330
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Friday sees the first DIII title game not involving either Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater since 2004.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #331
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Friday sees the first DIII title game not involving either Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater since 2004.

Yeah, but still another WIAC team. That conference is so dominant without a D2 football school to sifon any talent at all.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #332
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that Petrino may have been lying about Louisville's role in Wakeyleaks:

http://footballscoop.com/news/louisv...ks-wakeyleaks/
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

Jurich's statement was idiotic.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #334
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's always baffling to me that people like Jurich can get into the positions of leadership that they do. He may very well have signed his own termination papers with that statement.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #335
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's always baffling to me that people like Jurich can get into the positions of leadership that they do. He may very well have signed his own termination papers with that statement.

Not long ago he was considered one of, if not the, best ADs in the country. From a combination of success across multiple sports, revenue generation, fundraising, facilities, etc.

He's really fallen off a cliff. But he still has his job, of course, for now.

Last edited by Logan : 12-14-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #336
Atocep
Coordinator

Lonnie Galloway is going to be the fall guy in this.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #337
Logan
Head Coach

BTW I still don't think #WakeyLeaks has gotten enough love.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #338
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Meanwhile, Lane Kiffin gives us yet another reason to detest him.

Lane Kiffin creates instant controversy with his first FAU recruit
Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #339
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Meanwhile, Lane Kiffin gives us yet another reason to detest him.

Lane Kiffin creates instant controversy with his first FAU recruit

This is the dirty side of how most G5 schools are competitive with P5 schools. For that to happen they take at-risk talent. The only reason this is really news at all is because people don't like Kiffin.

Marshall has done it for years, Boise does it, Utah did it under Meyer, Fresno state under Pat Hill, and on and on.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #340
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The kid committed before Kiffin.

I hate Kiffin, but this aint on him.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #341
Atocep
Coordinator

The fact that this is a Wakey Leaks game makes it even better.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #342
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
The kid committed before Kiffin.

I hate Kiffin, but this aint on him.

He was offered before Kiffin, he committed yesterday. That's on the head coach, even if it's day 1.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #343
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is Bob Stoops just as bad for keeping Joe Mixon in school? Or any one of the probably 25 other coaches in the country who have players on their roster with some sort of similar incident?

Plenty of things to hate Kiffin about, this is dumb
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #344
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He was offered before Kiffin, he committed yesterday. That's on the head coach, even if it's day 1.

He committed 2 weeks ago. He announced today.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #345
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Gophers are planning on skipping practices and the bowl game perhaps.

247Sports

Quote:
Sources have told the Star Tribune the University of Minnesota football players will announce Thursday evening that they are boycotting all football practice and team activities — even their Dec. 27 bowl game if need be — in protest of 10 teammates being suspended from the team Tuesday in the latest fallout of a September sexual assault investigation.

The Gophers had a players-only meeting Thursday afternoon and later brought in head coach Tracy Claeys to inform him of their plans, sources said. According to two parents of players, all of the team's players are planning a united announcement Thursday evening to say they are immediately boycotting team activities and are willing to boycott the Holiday Bowl if "their demands are not met" — a reference to their teammates being reinstated and reversing the decision to suspend the 10 players.

Half of the 10 players suspended also face expulsion from school, the players' attorney, Lee Hutton, said Wednesday night.

This will get ugly.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-15-2016 at 08:15 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #346
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Is Bob Stoops just as bad for keeping Joe Mixon in school? Or any one of the probably 25 other coaches in the country who have players on their roster with some sort of similar incident?

Yes, they are. You beat a woman and you're done. No more free ride to play a game.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #347
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they are. You beat a woman and you're done. No more free ride to play a game.

+1
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #348
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This will get ugly.

Maybe that's what it takes to get back toward equilibrium.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #349
Kodos
Resident Alien

Minnesota can't back down here. Players can't pout and overturn rulings of the athletic department.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #350
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Minnesota can't back down here. Players can't pout and overturn rulings of the athletic department.

The die is certainly cast at this point. Ride this motherfucker into the ground. Even if it takes 4 years, there will be guys who want to play football.

I still can't shake the feeling that criminal charges were never filed and the county prosecutor failed to prosecute. Some of these guys have already missed games, (but it was related to legal matters, not school enforcement of penalties) so maybe that's why the players think this is going to go their way?

The school has to do what's in the best interest of the school here, and that's to let these guys walk if that's what they need to do. You can't rewind this thing from here.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote