Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #301
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Uh, that's an absurd statement. They can certainly play better defense. They can certainly have a better passing game. They can finish off more of their drives instead of settling for three FG's. Really, that's a pretty stupid statement.

Really?

It is?

The Dolphins can do better than controlling the ball for 45 minutes in a game?

I'd LOVE to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #302
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Really?

It is?

The Dolphins can do better than controlling the ball for 45 minutes in a game?

I'd LOVE to see that.

Who the fuck said they need to control the ball for more than 45 minutes? You said "play better", not "control the clock longer".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #303
larrymcg421
Head Coach

For example, the Dolphins only controlled the clock for 32 minutes when they beat New England 38-13 last year.

By your logic, they played better tonight than they did then. Yes, I'd say that's pretty stupid.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #304
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The Pats D has been fine over the first two weeks. It's one thing if you expect regression, but the evidence so far (265 yds/game, 16.5 pts/game) shows them not to be the problem.

edit: Which is not to say that there won't be growing pains this year. My point is just that the defense has held up its end of the bargain the first two games.

I guess you guys are watching something different than I am. What I've seen is a defense that has given up back to back game of passer ratings of over 100. This was against Trent Edwards and a rookie QB in his second career start.

Sanchez was something like 3-5 in the first half for under 20 yards. With the game on the line in the second half, he went 11-17 for 150 or so in the second half.

On the Bills drive that should have been the one to seal the game, the Patriots looked very, very poor.

I know what the numbers say. The numbers say the Broncos have the top scoring defense in the league. (hey, we did face Cleveland, but we also played a Bengal team that put up 28 in GB on Sunday) The reality? The Broncos went against a mediocre offense and a really, really bad offense. I think the reality is the Patriots went against two very average offenses. I know it's early for comparitive numbers, but the Bills had about the same production per play against the TB defense. (and we are pretty sure at this point that defense sucks ass, correct?) The reason they didn't have more yards was the unbelievable ball control the Patriots had that night. I guess the opinions could differ and usually I'm a pure numbers guy. But I think the numbers in this case are a little off.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #305
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's early, but I think the Bills are better than a very average offense. Fred Jackson is pretty darned good, Trent Edwards continues to improve, and Lee Evans and T.O. make for a couple of pretty amazing wideouts.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #306
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If the Colts are going to have a problem this season, it's that their offense spends too little time on the field and the defense gets gassed. Obviously the D did a great job with some key stops, but the whole season isn't going to be like that.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #307
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's early, but I think the Bills are better than a very average offense. Fred Jackson is pretty darned good, Trent Edwards continues to improve, and Lee Evans and T.O. make for a couple of pretty amazing wideouts.

Maybe. With the swiss cheese schedule they have, they'll probably be better than average as well. But I think when Trent Edwards faces a real defense, you'll find the Bills offense isn't really that good. I could be wrong. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #308
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If the Colts are going to have a problem this season, it's that their offense spends too little time on the field and the defense gets gassed. Obviously the D did a great job with some key stops, but the whole season isn't going to be like that.

I've said the Patriots remind me of the old Colts. The Colts remind me of the old Colts too.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #309
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Actually, watching the game last night reminded me of the Patriots from a few seasons ago where they'd score in two plays and then the D would trudge back onto the field and get pushed around. Can't remember what season that was, but presumably most of you will know what I'm talking about.

Neither team had a decent running attack, of course.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #310
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Disappointed with last night's outcome, but not surprised. Peyton does what he does best....win games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #311
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Uh, that's an absurd statement. They can certainly play better defense. They can certainly have a better passing game. They can finish off more of their drives instead of settling for three FG's. Really, that's a pretty stupid statement.

It was Matt Millen, what do you expect? Losing by 4 is playing your best.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #312
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Something just occurred to me, and it might actually make me a Dolphins fan. Their final drive last night would have been perfect for Arena Football. It burned the clock down to nothing, kept the defense on its heels, and only went about 50 yards. Since the AFL and AF2 are gone, the Dolphins might be the closest I'll find to my beloved indoor game!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #313
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It was Matt Millen, what do you expect? Losing by 4 is playing your best.
That's funny, because the Lions usually lose by 17 when they play their best.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #314
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Ginn has the hands of stone. But he's great on those 5 yard curls. Glad we spent a 1st round pick on him.

paraphrasing: "I know his father, he's a good kid."

I hate Mueller/Cameron. At least they were ran the fuck out town quicker than Wannstedt.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #315
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
That's funny, because the Lions usually lose by 17 when they play their best.

Words hurt, you know.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #316
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Words hurt, you know.

Quit crying Crosby!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #317
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

WR's been a problem since Clayton and Duper left.

Irving Fryer and Chris Chambers weren't horrible
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #318
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Something just occurred to me, and it might actually make me a Dolphins fan. Their final drive last night would have been perfect for Arena Football. It burned the clock down to nothing, kept the defense on its heels, and only went about 50 yards. Since the AFL and AF2 are gone, the Dolphins might be the closest I'll find to my beloved indoor game!

I dunno about that. Pennington and the Miami coaching staff really mismanaged the last 2 minutes of the game. They looked terrible, meandering to the line, fucking around when they really needed to be in a hurry-up offense.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #319
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Irving Fryer and Chris Chambers weren't horrible

There was a guy named Wes....ummm....Welker, that's it, who played for Miami too. He was allowed to walk away for some inexplicable reason.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #320
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
There was a guy named Wes....ummm....Welker, that's it, who played for Miami too. He was allowed to walk away for some inexplicable reason.

Forgot about that guy... ouch
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #321
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I dunno about that. Pennington and the Miami coaching staff really mismanaged the last 2 minutes of the game. They looked terrible, meandering to the line, fucking around when they really needed to be in a hurry-up offense.
That's how you run a 2 minute drill in the indoor game. Seriously, it was textbook execution.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #322
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

There was a period in the Dolphins' history where I was wondering if Matt Millen was pulling double duty and running both them and the Lions into the ground simultaneously. Then I realized that Mueller/Cameron/Wannstedt/Petrino all dressed up as Millen in the parking lot before starting work every day for Miami.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #323
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
He didn't exactly walk away, but point taken.

Troy - I think part of the disconnect is that the Patriots defense was markedly better week 2 even without Jerod Mayo, while the offense fell apart. (Or was failed execution on 1-2 plays away from winning the game. Or maybe it was our backup QB from the preseason being on the opposite sideline - anyone remember the Lawyer Milloy-led Bills game a couple years back when they won 31-0?) Either way, at least this week it wasn't the defense.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #324
Rizon
Pro Starter

I always liked OJ McDuffie, and Gadsden was a good possession receiver.

But the Dolphins D can suck my nuts and like it.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote