Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #301
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

One thing I didn't see mentioned at all-

As a Steelers fan, I hope to God Polamalu needs surgery. At least then there is something to point to for his play.

He was a 0-fer the playoffs.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #302
PilotMan
Head Coach

You can say all you want about turnovers, why did the Steelers try a 52-yard FG with Suisam, or the offense in general. But the fact of the matter is that when the Packers needed to score they did. The Steelers D did not come up big when it needed to. They had 2 drives off of turnovers that they had to make stops on, and another drive where the Pack went the length of the field, and they could not make a stop.

The 31-yard, 3rd down catch at the end of the game was an absolute killer. Just a killer.

My emotions through the game went something like this:

Pumped, angry, more angry, angry, dejected, angry, hopeful, more hopeful, angry, depressed, seriously depressed, little hopeful, seriously depressed.

I may need to change favorite teams just because the Steelers have done this shit all year long, and they are truly going to kill me one day.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #303
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yay! Complaining about the Super Bowl halftime show! It's an annual tradition!

(EDIT: I don't know crap about the Black Eyed Peas, but I don't know what people expect every year. Everyone seems to expect the worlds greatest concert every year and then hates it when it's not. No, having Britney Spears on stage with Aerosmith- that was a debacle. This seemed, well, pedestrian- no more, no less.)

SI

What I expect is a typical 15 minute NFL halftime with NO stupid show at all.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #304
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Non-gameplay-related points:

- That Michael Douglas intro was just a bit over the top, wasn't it? Comparing Steelers/Packers in the Super Bowl to JFK and MLK? Really? Some multi-millionaires playing a sport is comparable to two of the greatest speeches ever? I love the Super Bowl, but come on, who thought this was a good idea?

- I loved the intro bit on Aaron Rogers. Specifically them showing him talking about how he loved growing up in a small town, followed by the graphic showing Chino with a population in excess of 100,000. Um, yeah, small town, got it.

- Commercials were generally lame. Teleflora was okay, thought the Doritos resurrection bit was the only real Super-Bowl-worthy ad, and Chrysler really thinks putting Eminem out there is going to make me think BETTER of Detroit? Isn't he like wrapping up all the problems folks think they see in Detroit in one nice neat package?

Game was pretty good though, enjoyed watching it. Loved the two best teams in football managing a complete miscommunication between QB and WR on the third play from scrimmage, and the ensuing punt has a starting CB running into his own return man to force the fumble. That was awesome. If the offenses had actually been in synch (Ben and his receivers on the same page about their routes, Green Bay receives actually able to catch some of those throws) we could have had both teams in the 40s and shut up all the talk about the defenses finally. But still fun to watch.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #305
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You can say all you want about turnovers, why did the Steelers try a 52-yard FG with Suisam, or the offense in general. But the fact of the matter is that when the Packers needed to score they did. The Steelers D did not come up big when it needed to. They had 2 drives off of turnovers that they had to make stops on, and another drive where the Pack went the length of the field, and they could not make a stop.

The 31-yard, 3rd down catch at the end of the game was an absolute killer. Just a killer.

My emotions through the game went something like this:

Pumped, angry, more angry, angry, dejected, angry, hopeful, more hopeful, angry, depressed, seriously depressed, little hopeful, seriously depressed.

I may need to change favorite teams just because the Steelers have done this shit all year long, and they are truly going to kill me one day.

As bad as the OL has been, those guys played their guts out. And, they should be getting back a healthy Pouncey, Colon and Starks.

CB is a big need. They need 1, probably 2. Ike Taylor gets crapped on in Pittsburgh alot because he has terrible hands, but look at last night. When he was on Jennings, there was 1 completion for 4 yards, and total of 4 completions for 21 yards to his side. McFadden and Gay are at best nickel guys when there is a good pass rush in front of them.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
What I expect is a typical 15 minute NFL halftime with NO stupid show at all.

Good luck with that. Never mind the money the NFL gets from sponsorship, when In Living Color took 20-25 million people away from halftime, the response for the following year was Michael Jackson (actually drawing a bigger audience than the game itself to that point) ... and the three-ring circus was born.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #307
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sweet. I successfully didn't watch a minute of the SuperBowl or SuperBowl coverage yesterday.

Just wasn't really inspired to turn it on (had a bunch of other stuff going on), and then it reached the point of obstinence and "I'm not going to watch it!"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #308
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Sweet. I successfully didn't watch a minute of the SuperBowl or SuperBowl coverage yesterday.

Just wasn't really inspired to turn it on (had a bunch of other stuff going on), and then it reached the point of obstinence and "I'm not going to watch it!"

Congrats for missing an entertaining game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #309
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

The Bengals need new fans........
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #310
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #311
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good luck with that. Never mind the money the NFL gets from sponsorship, when In Living Color took 20-25 million people away from halftime, the response for the following year was Michael Jackson (actually drawing a bigger audience than the game itself to that point) ... and the three-ring circus was born.

Yeah, I know it's a pipe dream, but just pointing out what I want. Last night my wife switched over to 50-2 to watch an ancient Hardy Boys rerun after about 30 seconds of the halftime show while I went off to put the kids to bed.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well good for you!
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Was just looking at the quarter hour overnight ratings for Atlanta. If those are matched around the country (and in this instance I suspect they might be) then we certainly shouldn't hold out hope that the halftime shows will return to sanity any time soon.

815-830 pm (which should include the middle of the halftime based on the time stamps here)
18-34 - Highest rated qtr-hour of the SB to that point
18-49 - Ditto
25-49 - Highest rated qtr-hour of the SB to that point AND highest rated qtr hour of anything outside the 4th (i.e. more people watched that halftime abomination than watched any point of the first three quarters)

Similarly, every other channel in the market except one (NBC, with "Who Do You Think You Are") lost more than half their adult audience during the halftime show, in other words people who weren't interested in the game at all came for the halftime ... and then left right back to what they were watching.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-07-2011 at 09:22 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #314
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Congrats for missing an entertaining game.

I thought about turning it on, but I was out for most of the day at work and then catching up on last week's issue of the Economist, and by the time I got home I had missed the whole Celtics vs. Magic game, so I watched that instead...and then by the time that was over it was like "well why bother starting in mid-game when I could fire up NBA 2k11 instead and rock out with my own Celtics team?" (who by the way I should do a retroactive dynasty for now that they're nasty).
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #315
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

This explains this thread only making it to 7 pages. We were missing play by play.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #316
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
- Commercials were generally lame. Teleflora was okay, thought the Doritos resurrection bit was the only real Super-Bowl-worthy ad, and Chrysler really thinks putting Eminem out there is going to make me think BETTER of Detroit? Isn't he like wrapping up all the problems folks think they see in Detroit in one nice neat package?

I agree that the commercials were generally weak this year. But I thought that the Chrysler 200 commercial was great--just blew the other ones out of the water.

I actually watched it again this morning just b/c I thought that it was so well done.

That said, I am not in the market for a luxury car, so I am definitely not in the target demo.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-07-2011 at 09:25 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Super Bowl XLV Poised to Break Viewing Records, Ties 1987 With Highest Overnight Ratings Ever

Still considered preliminary number at this point, but it looks positive for Fox. Strong showings in major markets like NY, LA, and Chicago, plus Dallas' largest host-city/non-hometeam playing rating ever lifted the outing.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #318
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Super Bowl XLV Poised to Break Viewing Records, Ties 1987 With Highest Overnight Ratings Ever

Still considered preliminary number at this point, but it looks positive for Fox. Strong showings in major markets like NY, LA, and Chicago, plus Dallas' largest host-city/non-hometeam playing rating ever lifted the outing.

So, if DT had been watching, we would've broken the record.

Damn that asshole.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #319
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Is this counting all the people who had tickets but had to watch from somewhere else? That probably pushed them over the top.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #320
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Sportsdigs knew DT wasnt gonna be watching the Super bowl two weeks ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #321
markprior22
High School Varsity

The thing about this halftime show was that it was supposed to be getting back to more mainstream stuff (as opposed to the recent "oldies") and had tons of build up. Joe Buck even said something about seeing the rehearsal and that this halftime show was going to be "one of the all time best." It just seems like it was promoted far more than the recent shows (which I've liked for the most part but I'm not in the "young" demographic). Without being a BEP fan, it seemed no better than any other halftime entertainment they have had. I think, like most things, it just gets over hyped. Hell, it's a 20 min concert...stop trying to make it something it can't live up to.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
This explains this thread only making it to 7 pages. We were missing play by play.
It might be the reason why this thread was tolerable. I dunno.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #323
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Sportsdigs knew DT wasnt gonna be watching the Super bowl two weeks ago.

He was going to watch, but then he decided to run a fake punt.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #324
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'm only 30, and I realize that I act like I'm 90, but is it too much to ask for people to actually sound good live? Kudos to them for not lip-singing, but they sound absolutely terrible. Maybe because what's popular today is looks, and not talent, but I doubt we would have seen this stuff 20-30 years ago.

How about 15?

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #325
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
- I loved the intro bit on Aaron Rogers. Specifically them showing him talking about how he loved growing up in a small town, followed by the graphic showing Chino with a population in excess of 100,000. Um, yeah, small town, got it.

-

Chino's population growth only started in the last 10-12 years it really used to be a farming community.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #326
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Hell, it's a 20 min concert...stop trying to make it something it can't live up to.

This. Just accept that the "We Are the World" is the highwater mark and damper your expectations a bit.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Is this counting all the people who had tickets but had to watch from somewhere else? That probably pushed them over the top.

Unclear, since those who paid to stand outside & watch on the big screen were (according to a couple of reports I read yesterday) counted as "attendance".
Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #328
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
This. Just accept that the "We Are the World" is the highwater mark and damper your expectations a bit.

Tell that to the NFL and Fox. And based on Jon's numbers they were successful.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #329
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, the NFL and Fox are happy. They wanted big numbers and got them. Nielsen ratings for the curmudgeon message board crowd weren't what they were going for

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #330
JediKooter
Coordinator

My observations:

1. Commercials get a resounding D-
2. Did the Steelers D leave their players at the airport?
3. Not really all that exciting of a game. (I'm sure if you were Packers or Steelers fan it was to you)
4. I watched Toy Story 2 during the half time show
5. Christina Aguilera needs to learn that the national anthem is not a 20 minute song
6. Joe Buck was at the peak of his continued crappy craptastic career

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let me add to the bizarro universe a little further.

Y'know how everybody seems to love Glee these days? How most of the reviews from last night's post-SB episode seem to be positive?

It's ratings were about 25% lower than what the premiere of Undercover Boss posted last year.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #332
Logan
Head Coach

I've seen about 3 minutes of Glee and know it's not for me. I was intrigued by Undercover Boss during the build up to the premiere so I stuck around and watched it (maybe one more time since). I'm sure there were many others like me.

I also think CBS does a better job overall of plugging their shows (and I'm only a HIMYM fan).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #333
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I've seen about 3 minutes of Glee and know it's not for me. I was intrigued by Undercover Boss during the build up to the premiere so I stuck around and watched it (maybe one more time since). I'm sure there were many others like me.

I also think CBS does a better job overall of plugging their shows (and I'm only a HIMYM fan).

Yeah I think we are comparing two separate things here, Undercover Boss was a premier episode of a new series while Glee was a Mid-Season premier of an established show.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #334
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Yeah I think we are comparing two separate things here, Undercover Boss was a premier episode of a new series while Glee was a Mid-Season premier of an established show.

Yeah, I get that & I'll give you that no problem. I'm a prime example, I knew I had zero interest in watching it same as I knew I'd sooner hear dogs bark than watch BEP.

But something still feels off about the disparity to me, it just seems counter intuitive somehow, in a "show nobody knows" versus "hit show" "which one gets bigger numbers" kind of way.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #335
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I get that & I'll give you that no problem. I'm a prime example, I knew I had zero interest in watching it same as I knew I'd sooner hear dogs bark than watch BEP.

But something still feels off about the disparity to me, it just seems counter intuitive somehow, in a "show nobody knows" versus "hit show" "which one gets bigger numbers" kind of way.

But what were Glee's numbers compared to their typical Tuesday night numbers?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But what were Glee's numbers compared to their typical Tuesday night numbers?

Off the top of my head, probably between 50% & 100% higher (although it steadily declined back down around normal, didn't look like keepers from what I've seen, just samplers). Didn't say it didn't work obviously, just that it sounded funny on the face of it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #337
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Off the top of my head, probably between 50% & 100% higher (although it steadily declined back down around normal, didn't look like keepers from what I've seen, just samplers). Didn't say it didn't work obviously, just that it sounded funny on the face of it.

Agreed, thanks Jon!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #338
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed, thanks Jon!

No problem. I get this picture of Glee being left on while people's SB parties were breaking up & once pretty much everybody was gone one spouse turns to the other and says "Why is this on my TV?"
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #339
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Could this be a demo issue? Does Glee do better in the demos that weren't watching the Super Bowl during the 4th quarter?

That's what got me. They seemed to not be a match at all - the demo that would watch Glee and the demo that would stick with the Super Bowl to the bitter end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #340
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I also think that you are going to get more people involved with a new show than an existing one.

There might be people, like my wife, who have a passing interest in getting into Glee, but who are not going to jump into any show in the middle.

I can see, along those lines, how the Glee promos might have gotten a few more people like Mrs. A to get around to queueing up the first season on Netflix. But I really don't know how many.

I think that a network is missing the ball by not using the platform to launch a new show for which you have high hopes.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
the demo that would stick with the Super Bowl to the bitter end.

I believe SB numbers usually steadily rise in Q4 for most anything other than big blowouts, regardless of demo. Fairly consistent across the demos about that too from what I looked at this morning. Something about watching the end of the game I guess.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that a network is missing the ball by not using the platform to launch a new show for which you have high hopes.

That would require a network to have one of those, not sure whether Fox is sitting on one at the moment.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #343
Radii
Head Coach

Fox is airing the pilot for "The Chicago Code" tonight. With the creator of The Shield involved, I'm in.

Review: FOXs The Chicago Code a strong new cop drama - HitFix.com
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #344
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Aaron Rodgers to Colin Cowherd: "Now I hope I can live up to your standards of being an elite QB."
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #345
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
No problem. I get this picture of Glee being left on while people's SB parties were breaking up & once pretty much everybody was gone one spouse turns to the other and says "Why is this on my TV?"

This. I didn't have a party, and didn't have a spouse point it out to me, but I picked up my laptop during the postgame festivities and when I came out of that zone I was like "WTF is this?" and changed the channel.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #346
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry.. couldn't resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apples.jpg (92.5 KB, 84 views)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #347
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't know why xTina didn't just pre-record the anthem live like most pros do. You're not supposed to sing it live precisely because of what happened to her. Also, some artists are afraid something will happen to the PA and cut them off or something in the middle of the song.

But I guess poor execution was the mantra of the Jerry World Super Bowl from the seat problems to everything else. Not enough scoreboard shots yesterday either. lol..
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #348
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Aaron Rodgers to Colin Cowherd: "Now I hope I can live up to your standards of being an elite QB."

haha, awesome. I love it when a guy like Rodgers comes around every so often and admits he listens to the radio and reads the newspaper.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #349
mckerney
Coordinator

Oh look, Packer fans still acting childish about Brett Favre. Hope Aaron Rodgers learns never to get traded because the team doesn't want him anymore.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #350
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Oh look, Packer fans still acting childish about Brett Favre. Hope Aaron Rodgers learns never to get traded because the team doesn't want him anymore.

Oh look, a holier than thou poster that can't take a joke.

pfft.