Favored Bitch #1

Lol
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #302
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I guess not. I've been crushed like a dove.

This is what it sounds like when doves cry.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

KUJH Alumni: Crushed Dove

Quote:
At that stage, the atmosphere was uncommon at best, strange at worst. Then Bohl passed out copies of a statement he had generated on his home computer. Moments later, Bohl read the statement with TV cameras rolling and tape recorders whirring.

This was, for now and forever, to be known as the "Crushed Dove" speech.

Bohl accused KU basketball coach Roy Williams of hatred and vindictiveness, adding that Williams held Bohl in his hand like a dove.

"He had the choice," Bohl stated, "to either crush me with his power of influence, or let me fly with my visions for a better total program. He chose to crush me."
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #304
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

That's exactly what came to mind when I read it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #305
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Funny...we're pretty much saying the same thing about you guys.

State's been pretty solid so far under Gottfried, though it looks like defense continues to be a struggle and they've been crap from the FT line so far this year. Even so, there hasn't been this much optimism about the program in quite some time, maybe since Sendek's second year after he seemed to finally be pulling State out of the abyss of the early 1990s--yes, he lead State to five straight NCAAs, but by the time he did so, the fan base was so bitterly divided over him, it really killed any enthusiasm for the program.

So far, very evenly matched. Disappointed not to keep the lead going into the half, but overall happy with how we're playing in our first real road game of the season.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #306
spleen1015
Coordinator

Missed the damn IU game because I was working and forgot about it. Glad they won.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #307
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Big 10 with three in a row. Good to see.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #308
Radii
Head Coach

ACC fucking blows, but I guess we've known that for awhile
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #309
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers looked really uncomfortable in the first 10 minutes - seems they have settled down a little bit. Hopefully we can keep this close to halftime and make it a game in the second half.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #310
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Wisky offense is fun to watch. Pass it around until less than 10 seconds on the shotclock than let Taylor go 1 on 1. NC must just hate it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #311
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Badgers looked really uncomfortable in the first 10 minutes - seems they have settled down a little bit. Hopefully we can keep this close to halftime and make it a game in the second half.

Wisconsin won't shoot 3-15 from 3 in the 2nd half, I'm quite worried. UNC needs to force the pace more in the 2nd half.

Marshall seems to be struggling against better defenders than he's used to seeing, and I'd like to see Zeller getting it in the post more.

The one guy who seems to be himself completely is John Henson, which makes sense, he's going to shine in a defensive struggle, 9 boards/3 blocks at the half. I wish he could make free throws, but he's such a beast, love it.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #312
Radii
Head Coach

UNC looking like they've been worn down by having to play all this defense, very undisciplined and forcing all kinds of dumb shit.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #313
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Wait'll you see BC play!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #314
Radii
Head Coach

Maybe they've finally woken up. We'll see...

Henson 14 boards, the leading scorer on either team has 13 points. If UNC is gonna let themselves get trapped in a "whoever gets to 50 first wins" game lets keep that trend up, 25 boards for Henson come on go!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #315
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't think we'd hang this close for this long - ah, well. We'll see if we can make one more push before it gets out of hand. Taylor has been awful today but thats pretty much his own doing taking horrible shots all day long. Pretty uncharacteristic of the Badgers on offense tonight but it happens a lot when they're in the big spot light.

It looks like the refs are trying to balance the foul calls now with ticky tack calls. Hah. Thanks, refs.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #316
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

These raised floors in college basketball are really stupid. Virginia Tech kid looks seriously hurt because he just flew off the edge.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #317
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh. Dagger.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #318
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
These raised floors in college basketball are really stupid. Virginia Tech kid looks seriously hurt because he just flew off the edge.
Well, it's a fitting end to this POS game.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #320
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV and USCB are fighting a close one in the second half. Been back and forth for most of the second period. The Gauchos knocked us off last year and they're really fired up to play us now that we're ranked.

I figured going in this would be a tough game since it's on the road and we're trying to avoid a letdown from the emotional high of upsetting UNC. So far that's looking correct.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #321
Radii
Head Coach

I'm surprised Henson is even on the floor right now, and holy crap don't blow this wtf.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #322
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Any season where Florida State's half a basketball team is picked to or finishes above about 6th in the league should be considered a down year. They literally turned the ball over 2 out of every 7 possessions tonight. I've seen better ratio's watching high school girls basketball back in the day.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #323
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would be pretty pissed if I was Bo Ryan. Pretty obvious Wisconson was trying to foul with about 25 seconds left and the refs didn't blow the whistle.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #324
Radii
Head Coach

Soooo lucky Taylor missed that wide open 3.

I'm happy winning ugly here, and really happy to see a good free throw shooting night. One last time, <3 John Henson.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #325
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would be pretty pissed if I was Bo Ryan. Pretty obvious Wisconson was trying to foul with about 25 seconds left and the refs didn't blow the whistle.

??? I went back and rewound it, UNC inbounded it at 25.1 and the foul was called at 23.4 seconds, and the first defender there was a two steps away from Marshall when he caught the pass.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #326
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

And that ends the Badgers win streak against ACC teams.. I do believe it was 7 in a row.

I'm extremely happy to see the Badgers defense is for real - it was hard to tell through their first handful games against lower competition. They frustrated the Heels most of the night and then Barnes came up with some big buckets in the second half.

The turning point in this game was Ben Brust's three point attempt from the coach's circle with a 5 point lead... the air ball. I'd like to see the alternate universe where he doesn't pull that trigger or makes it.

The Badgers reliance on the three point ball sucks but they won't shoot this poorly again for the rest of the season most likely. This game was entirely different from the first five in terms of what kind of three point shots they took. They took GOOD 3 point shots before tonight, tonight was pretty pitiful 1/3 of the time.

I'm pretty sure Roy took one out of Painter's books and employed the Purdue defense against Wisconsin tonight. Badger's always struggle against Purdue's defense and tonight was very similar. The Badgers aren't athletic enough to dribble penetrate and create things. Taylor isn't that kind of guard, unfortunately.

I'm curious if KenPom's prediction holds true and the Badgers finish 27-4 with a 15-3 conference record. That would be a crazy good season and would likely lock a 2 seed with a shot at a 1 seed.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-30-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #327
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So far, very evenly matched. Disappointed not to keep the lead going into the half, but overall happy with how we're playing in our first real road game of the season.

Played a good game for 30 minutes, then got a bit sloppy, had their FT woes come back to bite them after hitting their first 18 or something like that, then got a questionable (at best) breakaway foul call go against them, then let the wheels fall off after that. I don't know what to make of it as of yet. When things went well, they played well and with composure and control. When the adversity piled up, they reverted to bad habits and let the game get away from them. I still have hopes that they can reach the NCAAs this year, but it's going to be challenging every night for them. Just a team that's not deeply ingrained with success, so the challenge will be learning to handle prosperity against quality teams.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #328
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV now up by 8, 69-61 with a little over a minute and a half last I looked.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #329
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
??? I went back and rewound it, UNC inbounded it at 25.1 and the foul was called at 23.4 seconds, and the first defender there was a two steps away from Marshall when he caught the pass.

I may be off on the time but after Taylor missed the 3 Wisconsin reached in 3-4 different times without a whistle being blown
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #330
Izulde
Head Coach

Shit. 69-68 with 8 seconds left. Glad game isn't televised or I'd be having a heart attack right now.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #331
Izulde
Head Coach

FUCK! Overtime.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #332
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Played a good game for 30 minutes, then got a bit sloppy, had their FT woes come back to bite them after hitting their first 18 or something like that, then got a questionable (at best) breakaway foul call go against them, then let the wheels fall off after that. I don't know what to make of it as of yet. When things went well, they played well and with composure and control. When the adversity piled up, they reverted to bad habits and let the game get away from them. I still have hopes that they can reach the NCAAs this year, but it's going to be challenging every night for them. Just a team that's not deeply ingrained with success, so the challenge will be learning to handle prosperity against quality teams.

Yeah, the flagrant foul (which I think could have been called either way (flagrant or not flagrant)) kinda put them in a downward spiral at the end. Especially Wood. He seemed to lose his cool a bit. Really happy with how Indiana is playing this year. It has been a long time coming, but I think Indiana is making solid strides in their return to form.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-30-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #333
Izulde
Head Coach

81-78, 55 seconds in OT and UC-Santa Barbara is up.

UGH.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #334
Izulde
Head Coach

84-84 and we're now in double OT.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #335
Izulde
Head Coach

90-86 UNLV in double OT with 2:41 left, but Moser, who is the only shooting well tonight, fouled out.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #336
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Good win for UNLV. Orlando Johnson for UCSB is a monster. I think he got tired in OT. He wasnt taking over like he did at the end of regulation.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #337
Izulde
Head Coach

94-88 UNLV wins in Double OT.

Moser was the only UNLV player to have double-digit scoring in regulation and he finished 12/17, 6/9 from long range for 34 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists.

Chace Stanback hit an off-balance 3 pointer to make it 84-84 and lead to the second OT, else we would have lost by 3 in the first OT period. He finished with 19 points despite an ugly 4 of 14 shooting.

Curious decision by Rice to go with a 7 man rotation for most of this one. I think it almost cost us the game.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #338
Butter
Coordinator

Penn State beats Boston College. Boston College is terrible to lose to that shit team.

Wake beats Nebraska. Nebraska must be DOUBLY terrible to lose to that even shittier team.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #339
wade moore
lolzcat

William and Mary is beyond terrible right now.

Mizzou is going to absolutely crush us in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #340
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas posted a win over Mississippi Valley State last night 97-64. Not noteworthy, really, except that it is amazing how much more intensity this team plays with compared to the teams of Heath and Pelphrey. We basically forgot what this style of basketball looked like. It is fun to watch this team again.

That said, this team is very thin, depth-wise, after several transfers and a very painful loss of Marshawn Powell for the season (ACL). With Powell this team is likely a tournament team. A silver lining to this sad development is that some of the youngsters are having to step up. Hunter Mickelson and Devonta Abron are starting to make some plays in live games, where before the Powell injury, we weren't seeing them much.

There was a 2 game set where the Powell injury obviously affected the team, losing to Houston and struggling with Utah Valley. Since then, they have returned to the solid looking team that they were with Powell. I don't think this team will acheive what they would have with Powell healthy, but I'm encouraged that they have adapted the way they have. I think they will struggle against teams with some size, but I am less worried than I was before after seeing Mickelson and Abron starting to make some plays.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #341
Logan
Head Coach

I've heard some things about your coach's intensity before...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #342
MJ4H
Coordinator

Around here? I can't imagine.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #343
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard has a sneaky test with Vermont tonight on the road. Taylor Coppenrath isn't going to show up for the Catamounts, but they apparently do have size inside and it will be Harvard's first game after the Battle 4 Atlantis. Need to avoid a let down and looking ahead to UConn next week.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #344
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Your favorite team is playing Villanova in Madison Square Garden next week. You should go.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #345
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I was a big Mike Anderson supporter and wish him no ill will at Arkansas. It will be fun playing him in the future. He dug our program back out from the rubble of the Quin Snyder era. I have been impressed with Haith so far only time will tell if his system works better with Anderson's recruits or if they would have been just as good under Anderson this year. I think the 40 minutes of hell requires 8-9 great athletes and Mizzou really only had 6 or 7 last year and this one.

Last edited by panerd : 12-01-2011 at 09:39 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #346
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I was a big Mike Anderson supporter and wish him no ill will at Arkansas. It will be fun playing him in the future. He dug our program back out from the rubble of the Quin Snyder era. I have been impressed with Haith so far only time will tell if his system works better with Anderson's recruits or if they would have been just as good under Anderson this year. I think the 40 minutes of hell requires 8-9 great athletes and Mizzou really only had 6 or 7 last year and this one.

Absolutely. Jon Sundvold and Scott Highmark have both made similar comments during the telecast. Anderson is at his worst when he loses players to injury or doesn't have enough horses on the bench. He really struggled against KU because he refused to pull off the press when it was obvious their athletes were tearing it to shreds. It's probably best things worked out as they did this year because Anderson would have really struggled with the short bench on this year's Mizzou squad.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #347
MJ4H
Coordinator

I want to be really clear about one thing. Anderson's worst is way better than Pelphrey's best.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #348
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I want to be really clear about one thing. Anderson's worst is way better than Pelphrey's best.

Yeah, that's probably a sound assessment.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #349
MJ4H
Coordinator

Definitely.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #350
Izulde
Head Coach

How's Rotnei doing btw?