Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #302
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Crap...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #303
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

They promise to be benign overlords at least.

AT&T will honor net neutrality for three years if regulators let it buy DirecTV
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #304
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Panerd flowchart...

If Directv now has SEC network... (Bonus)
If ATT Uverse now has Sunday Ticket... (Move to Uverse, double bonus)
If the two companies remain seperate and don't share SEC/Sunday Ticket... move to dish network.

Unfortunately after the Sirius/XM merger resulted in two different companies that didn't share Stern/NFL/MLB my money is on #3.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #305
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Panerd flowchart...

If Directv now has SEC network... (Bonus)
If ATT Uverse now has Sunday Ticket... (Move to Uverse, double bonus)
If the two companies remain seperate and don't share SEC/Sunday Ticket... move to dish network.

Unfortunately after the Sirius/XM merger resulted in two different companies that didn't share Stern/NFL/MLB my money is on #3.
SEC network will be available elsewhere before college football season.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #306
SteveMax58
College Starter

Not shocked (though I am surprised) to see this deal happen so quickly.

Distributors are seeing a need to get bigger. Guess who else will feel that same need soon enough?

Media companies. I think we're going to see some more consolidation there. Just follow the big 4 networks' (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) parent company and see where their portfolio seems to be lacking. Thats because we are likely getting closer to a-la-carte programmers (not channels) in my view. And each of those will begin looking at how they can get bigger by also filling out their "content genre" portfolio.

For instance, I could see the following deals happen within the next year (pure speculation here...no direct insider knowledge):
1. Fox acquiring Starz. I could see this happening to round out Fox's already well-rounded offering as a way to hedge against distributors (i.e. I can offer a complete content offering of news, sports, movies, etc. direct to consumers if I have to).
2. CBS acquiring Turner. CBS could really use the infusion of news (CNN & HLN) and sports (TNT & TBS) that would come with this acquisition as well as some general purpose programming. Right now, they are essentially CBS station & Showtime and not much else. I could also see ABC (Disney) making a play here as well to get CNN/HLN.
3. NBCU acquiring Viacom. NBC has news & sports covered, but general purpose programming like Viacom has (Comedy, BET, MTV) would be a good target for them. Starz/Encore would be as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #307
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
SEC network will be available elsewhere before college football season.

Yes but right now I have Directv and the SEC network isn't currently part of thier offerings. I stick with Directv only to watch out of market Bengal games on Sunday Ticket but SEC network may end up being a higher prioirty depending on how many Mizzou games end up on there. So this merger would be the only chance for both.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #308
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes but right now I have Directv and the SEC network isn't currently part of thier offerings. I stick with Directv only to watch out of market Bengal games on Sunday Ticket but SEC network may end up being a higher prioirty depending on how many Mizzou games end up on there. So this merger would be the only chance for both.

I'm with you.. always something. I have Directv also and might die if I don't have the SEC channel.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #309
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Ah, I think we're talking about 2 different networks. Old SEC Network is now called SEC TV.

New SEC network doesn't launch until August but I believe it will actually take a lot of the football & bball games from SEC TV (not sure how many or if they will compliment each other).

SEC Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think this is probably the beginning of the end of my relationship with DirecTV. I'll just end up getting the shitty cable or will do without
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #311
Pyser
Pro Rookie

so just to reiterate...whatsapp is bought for $19b...and directv, which has satellites in space and hardware in homes and distribution deals with the nfl...is only worth 2.5 times that.

sometimes the business world baffles me.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #312
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Ah, I think we're talking about 2 different networks. Old SEC Network is now called SEC TV.

New SEC network doesn't launch until August but I believe it will actually take a lot of the football & bball games from SEC TV (not sure how many or if they will compliment each other).

SEC Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The SEC TV syndicated TV package is going away and Comcast is shutting down Comcast Sports Southeast that was based on SEC programming. Everything is going to the SEC Network.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #313
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think this is probably the beginning of the end of my relationship with DirecTV. I'll just end up getting the shitty cable or will do without

Do without. Netflix + digital antenna + internet = win.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh, I get suck watching the Browns like half the time due to local dumbness. I'm not really sure what I can pull in with where my house is either. Antenna has some topography concerns. Also Netflix has almost nothing to watch on it IMO. Look and look for stuff and then just watch more Saved By The Bell.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #315
Kodos
Resident Alien

BTN is my sticking point. I need to be able to watch as many IU football games as possible.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #316
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Do without. Netflix + digital antenna + internet = win.

Add Amazon Prime and you are cooking with gas!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #317
rowech
Pro Starter

We finally are using Direct TV On Demand features. They have a much different idea if On Demand than I do. "Pending Download" is not On Demand.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #318
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
We finally are using Direct TV On Demand features. They have a much different idea if On Demand than I do. "Pending Download" is not On Demand.

What kind of internet speed do you have? I have found they download faster than I can watch them on anything I have ever wanted to watch.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I have 50 down and I can watch pretty much instantly.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #320
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
What kind of internet speed do you have? I have found they download faster than I can watch them on anything I have ever wanted to watch.

It seems to be mostly HBO that is a problem. Our download speed is usually around 14 or 15. I do have an old router which might be part of it. We never have trouble with Netflix though.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #321
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It seems to be mostly HBO that is a problem. Our download speed is usually around 14 or 15. I do have an old router which might be part of it. We never have trouble with Netflix though.

I can remember they sometimes ask whether you want high quality and to be able to watch. Never noticed much of a difference and actually don't remember getting that message anymore. I do have mine on wifi though I think it is about 20-25. I do put about 5 in at a time if I know I am going to be mass watching The Wire or Boardwalk Empire or something.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #322
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When will we get the SEC network?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #323
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
When will we get the SEC network?

MBBF posted an article that sounded like it was a done deal but I don't know anything about the credibility of the site. I can't imagine them not picking it up. I don't think they would be that worried about the fairweather types up here in Missouri but you would think a lot of the Southeast would leave especially since the Sunday Ticket might not mean as much when they don't have a pro team.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #324
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm hardwired in fwiw. Dunno if that changes anything.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #325
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MBBF posted an article that sounded like it was a done deal but I don't know anything about the credibility of the site. I can't imagine them not picking it up. I don't think they would be that worried about the fairweather types up here in Missouri but you would think a lot of the Southeast would leave especially since the Sunday Ticket might not mean as much when they don't have a pro team.

All I can find is this:

Quote:
We strongly believe every SEC fan should have access to the SEC Network on DIRECTV and customers can rest assured that is our goal as we continue our discussions with the owners of the channel. Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitors, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network’s launch in August.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #326
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Don't put anything past DTV. They have been at a stalemate with the PAC12 network going on 3 years now.

They are apparently offering Sunday Ticket through mobile devices without a DTV subscription. I am going to try and leverage that to get it for free this year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #327
Izulde
Head Coach

The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard.

DirecTV to offer NFL Sunday Ticket streaming options - NFL.com

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #328
Easy Mac

I like how they started charging me for Sunday ticket. I went to cancel it and get a refund. I then asked if I could get red zone only. The price he quoted me for red zone only was higher than what I was charged for red zone.

Seeing as how I only got 5 weeks out of the free Sunday Ticket I got when I signed up last year, I'm a bit asked they wouldn't budge.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #329
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Sunday ticket is charged in 3 installments
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #330
cougarfreak
College Starter

When my my directv is up. I'll switch to dish or cable for 2 years. Rinse, repeat. Especially now that the sports packages all stream.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #331
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard.

DirecTV to offer NFL Sunday Ticket streaming options - NFL.com

That is a random collection.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Let's hope this is true and not some "keep you with DirecTV" marketing.

Quote:
DirecTV CEO Mike White says company has agreed on rates for ESPN's SEC Network and is optimistic it will launch it.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #333
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Neither DirecTV nor ESPN can afford not have SEC Network on DirecTV. I think DirecTV has been running the risk of losing customers by waiting so long to get the deal done.

ESPN needs DirecTV too, but they are linking SECN to getting DirecTV to sign on to WatchESPN, WatchABC and the Longhorn Network. It's actually potentially great news for DirecTV customers, because we should be getting all of those services. I miss WatchESPN.

LHN has got to be a big winner in the SEC launch. ESPN has forced almost everyone who wasn't carrying LHN to add it to their sports tiers, boosting households.

Everything I've read is that Direct will get SEC before the first football game, even if it's not on by the network launch.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #334
MrBug708
Head Coach

I remember these stories about the Pac12 network early on. Granted espn isn't going to bat for us, but a lot if the same issues still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #335
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I remember these stories about the Pac12 network early on. Granted espn isn't going to bat for us, but a lot if the same issues still

I get irritated around this time every year.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #336
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I wish Direct could work out some deal where I could get ESPN3, but that's probably a Time Warner ISP issue more than Direct.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #337
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Neither DirecTV nor ESPN can afford not have SEC Network on DirecTV. I think DirecTV has been running the risk of losing customers by waiting so long to get the deal done.

ESPN needs DirecTV too, but they are linking SECN to getting DirecTV to sign on to WatchESPN, WatchABC and the Longhorn Network. It's actually potentially great news for DirecTV customers, because we should be getting all of those services. I miss WatchESPN.

LHN has got to be a big winner in the SEC launch. ESPN has forced almost everyone who wasn't carrying LHN to add it to their sports tiers, boosting households.

Everything I've read is that Direct will get SEC before the first football game, even if it's not on by the network launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

It's funny. We have the Pac-12 network here in Northern Kentucky (Time Warner) but don't have the Longhorn Network. We are suppose to be getting the SEC network in the coming weeks.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #338
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pac 12 network isn't on dtv. It's on twc however, which is why you get it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #339
cuervo72
Head Coach

It's funny. I don't give a rat's ass about any of these channels.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #340
cuervo72
Head Coach

So now DirecTV IS trying to offer me an upgrade to Genie - for "free." Trying to figure out what the catch is, and if it will actually benefit me or not. From what I hear the system allows you to tape/watch five shows at a time. Right now, we have two HD DVRs with two lines each, and a SD tuner in the guest room. We COULD go up to 8 lines, as we have an 8-way multiswitch (I think we used seven, before the tivos in two bedrooms died).

The basement DVR is filled with whatever my daughter figured she'd tape (Boo-boo, iCarly, River Monsters, etc). I would kinda miss having that second DVR with the capacity to soak up that stuff. At the same time, being able to get my room and my son's room up and running with the lightweight tuners might be nice. Undecided.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #341
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So now DirecTV IS trying to offer me an upgrade to Genie - for "free." Trying to figure out what the catch is, and if it will actually benefit me or not. From what I hear the system allows you to tape/watch five shows at a time. Right now, we have two HD DVRs with two lines each, and a SD tuner in the guest room. We COULD go up to 8 lines, as we have an 8-way multiswitch (I think we used seven, before the tivos in two bedrooms died).

The basement DVR is filled with whatever my daughter figured she'd tape (Boo-boo, iCarly, River Monsters, etc). I would kinda miss having that second DVR with the capacity to soak up that stuff. At the same time, being able to get my room and my son's room up and running with the lightweight tuners might be nice. Undecided.

The "catch" is that it will lock you into DirecTV for 2 years. I have the Genie and I'm a fan. Great capacity on the hard drive and it can work with external hard drives. The various mini-receivers all work great with the main unit.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #342
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's a pretty big DVR. Only thing I don't like is that if you're watching on the non DVR TV it takes awhile longer to run the commercial skips. Other than that it's pretty great.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #343
cuervo72
Head Coach

Right, that's the obvious catch (to EF). I'm fine with that. My wife, I'm not so sure - we had to have a tech out just a couple of weeks ago to move the dish AGAIN (trees in our neighborhood are maturing) and was very much grumbling about changing providers.

What I wasn't sure about was if this would end up increasing our monthly bill or bump us out of whatever our current package is (wife handles billing, so I'm not 100% sure what that is). There's also the matter of having to trade in the existing DVRs, which are pretty packed with shows (I'm only, oh, 50 episodes behind on Jeopardy!).

I was going through old pages on this and noticed that we were discussing this four years ago. Hearing that you haven't changed your endorsement is a plus.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-08-2014 at 10:12 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #344
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
It's a pretty big DVR. Only thing I don't like is that if you're watching on the non DVR TV it takes awhile longer to run the commercial skips. Other than that it's pretty great.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we do 97% of our viewing in the family room. Increased capacity there would be a good thing. I guess the other question is which system would be easier/cheaper for getting bedrooms back up and running if we wanted to. Which we may not - my son never spends time in his room, I never spend time in mine (and my wife reads), my daughter just watches stuff on the iPad.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The dude who installed our genie said something about only having 3 total boxes with a genie set up. But it might have meant if you do more you can only watch 3 separate things. He was kind of an asshole anyways.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #346
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

We LOVE our Genie system.. tape up to 5 shows and have 3 HD wireless genie receivers throughout the house. Neighbors come over, we take a TV and genie outside on the deck and watch baseball, hockey or football.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #347
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
The dude who installed our genie said something about only having 3 total boxes with a genie set up. But it might have meant if you do more you can only watch 3 separate things. He was kind of an asshole anyways.

I think you can have only 3 wireless ones hooked up but 8 total.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #348
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm...well I wonder if they would necessarily want to take our existing HD-DVRs or not. I actually wouldn't mind keeping the one with the two lines in the basement, upgrading the main tuner in the living room, then adding three wireless units in the bedrooms.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #349
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is the main DVR (the brain), it controls the genies along with a wireless bridge which they hook up to it as well. Then you have the 3 genies (I think you can have more, but they cost extra) which also have HDMI so you can hook up to HD TV's (you can also use normal non HD cables).

So basically you'll need all new boxes. The main box does all the recording, etc.. then outputs to the genies. They won't work with any other box.

For us.. the cool thing is.. I can move one of genies from my office to my daughter's room or the kitchen without much hassle. Just need ac power and one cable that goes from the genie to the TV. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-09-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #350
cuervo72
Head Coach

But you can have an HD-DVR not connected to the brain, right? That's what I think my preferred setup would be. Upgrade the family TV with the Genie in the family room with slaves in the bedrooms, then the standalone HD-DVR that is already in the basement working by itself.