Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #301
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Buddy of mine tossed me a really eclectic mix CD, and I'm digging this track by Parov Stelar:

Edit: Here's the link while I try to make the embed work: Booty Swing

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #302
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After talking about the musical direction change for Opeth, I got a big chuckle out of this headline "Opeth Cover Bon Jovi"

It appears to be nothing more than Mikael Akerfeldt clowning around with an Orlando, FL crowd for about a minute but I got a kick both out of him doing it and at the crowd kind of laughing at themselves for singing along.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hey, JIMGA, here's a band for you to try, if you haven't already heard of them - Kyng.

Can't believe I almost missed this post (saw it tonight when adding the Opeth clip).

Not only have I heard of them, I've seen them live & even hung out with them for a few minutes after the show. I bragged about them pretty strongly in my blog review of the show & you can get my take on their music there but the best part was what I referenced a few days later in another post.

Quote:
LA-based hard rock trio Kyng may not be big names (yet) but bassist Tony Casteneda is probably considered about the coolest guy in the world around my house right now. Couldn’t have asked for anyone to be nicer to an old(er) guy & his teenage son when we met him & the band at a recent show, proving (among other things) that having considerable talent & simply being a good human being aren’t mutually exclusive.

Long story short, it was your standard club-show-band-at-the-merchandise-table chit chat opportunity, except that it was my son's first up close & personal brush with musicians he'd just watched on stage. They picked up on him wearing an 80's era t-shirt of mine & struck up a good enough conversation with him that he pretty much forgot to be nervous or starstruck and just basically shot the shit with them, talking about old bands (my kid can hang pretty good), music & whatnot. I damned near wept at getting to see him have that moment in his life. I was ready to build a shrine to them after what happened later.

Small club & the layout is such that unless you're the headliner (who gets a better location) then you have to wind your way through the crowd to get from the gimmick table to the backstage area. Tony walks by where we're parked against wall, says Hi or whatever & disappears into the room packed with roadies & gear. Not a minute later he pops out with a couple of bottled waters from a cooler in the back, hands 'em to us & whispers to me "I'll swap this for a beer if you want, I just figured you were doing the driving. Since I can't buy you both a drink, I wanted to do something & this was the best I could think of". To see my son's face you would have thought that Hendrix had returned from the grave with a bottle of fresh unicorn tears & asked if we needed anything else. If that wasn't the single coolest thing I've ever experienced at a show, it's definitely in the top few.

Made me a fan for life. I was the first person to congratulate them on their FB page the day Falling Down hit the Active Rock chart, nobody at the moment I hope to see enjoy some success more than them.

Quote:
Strangely enough, as great as their promotion was on XMLM, they don't have a single clip on YT from the album. They only thing I see is some live clips, and as bad as the recordings are, they don't do it justice.

I actually mentioned this very thing to them at the show, since it was the CD rips turned to videos for Lansdowne that tipped me over the edge into going to the show in the first place. The reaction was kind of, well, let's just say that I felt like it was probably not an accident that there's nothing uploaded. Wasn't quite like I'd farted in church but it was kind of a moment of awkward acknowledgment & a quick change of the subject. I'm guessing it's a sales/copyright thing with them, so I've resisted the urge to rip a track & post it my damned self (although I've been meaning to do that & block them totally as private just so I can put them into the playlists that have been my primary way of listening to music lately)
Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #304
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm waiting for next week to see if the new William Shatner CD shows up in here.

Then I'll laugh. Hard.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #305
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Love the build up around the last 1/3 of the song.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #306
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I actually mentioned this very thing to them at the show, since it was the CD rips turned to videos for Lansdowne that tipped me over the edge into going to the show in the first place. The reaction was kind of, well, let's just say that I felt like it was probably not an accident that there's nothing uploaded. Wasn't quite like I'd farted in church but it was kind of a moment of awkward acknowledgment & a quick change of the subject. I'm guessing it's a sales/copyright thing with them, so I've resisted the urge to rip a track & post it my damned self (although I've been meaning to do that & block them totally as private just so I can put them into the playlists that have been my primary way of listening to music lately)

Huh. Well, on the boards I post at, the other option is just upload the damn CD so people can try it out. I don't know anyone who actually rips songs from YouTube. If they really want it and won't pay, they'll find a blog or torrent site to D/L the entire album. Posting a YT clip is a quick and easy way to sample music. The other option is to try to record something from the soundboard so it doesn't sound so damn bad, I guess. Oh well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #307
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A magazine is coming out with a cover album of U2's Achtung Baby. Here's Jack White's entry.

Check Out: Jack White covers U2′s “Love is Blindness” « Consequence of Sound
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #308
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Saw Wild Beasts tonight at the Rio in Santa Cruz. I had actually never even heard of them, but my Aunt had an extra ticket, and I am totally down to sample new music live. They put on a phenomenal show, and I'm extremely glad I went. The two singers have absolutely ridiculous range on their vocals, and the drummer hit some ridiculously complex beats without batting an eye.

It was quite a contrast to their opening act, which may have been the worst live music I have ever seen performed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #309
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Best sax ever!

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #310
Ksyrup

Lou Reed needs to be trapped under ice. That's all I'll say about Lulu.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lou Reed needs to be trapped under ice. That's all I'll say about Lulu.

Lou Reed needs to Ride the Lightning
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #312
Ksyrup

Too bad he didn't do a collaboration with Torsofuck. Then he could be Raped by Elephants.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #313
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Best sax ever!

Yeah I like that, but Foreigner's "Urgent" has a great sax solo.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #314
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jay Nash

Samples of Jay Nash's music.

Online File Folder

Free download of The Things You Think You Need.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And finally the first official video from Kyng, for the lead single Falling Down is released. Naturally it's a Revolver mag exclusive at the moment so I can't embed, but here's the linkage for the curious (also includes upcoming dates).

Exclusive: Kyng Premiere Video for “Falling Down,” Announce Tour Dates with Black Tusk and Monstro - Revolver Magazine
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #316
Ksyrup

I believe they are also touring with Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity during the holidays, which is a fantastic tour for them to be on.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe they are also touring with Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity during the holidays, which is a fantastic tour for them to be on.

Interesting (in a "that's odd" kind of way) that the article refers to Kyng on tour with Clutch but makes no mention of CoC. Sure enough though, CoC recently Tweeted the exact same dates & cities as being with Clutch, so I'm sure you're right here.

Just seems odd that the Revolver piece doesn't mention (what I have to believe) is the bigger of the two bands that they'd be doing dates with.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #318
Ksyrup

Odd as it may seem, the two of them toured earlier this year, and COC supported Clutch. I love me some Clutch. Especially Blast Tyrant. The last couple have got a bit too much of a Southern boogie vibe to them. BT is a straight-out kick in the ass.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I've posted this before. Hell in the Club is an Italian band that must have some genetic tie to the LA club metal scene circa the 80's. Damn I'm digging this song right now. NSFW lyrics, scantily clad women (filmed in an Italian strip club apparently), what's not to love?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #320
Ksyrup

Singer looks like a cross between Taime Downe and Steve Riley.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #321
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The new Kittie LP "I have failed you" is getting some airplay here. Also enjoying Florence and The Machine's latest Ceremonials. Real Estate - Days album is one of the best albums of the year. Other stuff too...the second half of the year has been better than the first half in the new albums department for me.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Last Vegas has a new song The Other Side and a new video featuring an old familiar face: Sybil Danning. Who could forget her performance in Werewolf Women of the SS.

Better than pretty good song IMO but it's the campy return of a B-movie legend that makes this a definite share. Almost a "what are you YouTubing" post but I really do like the song, moreso musically than lyrics/vocals really. Got a sort of lighter Faster Pussycat vibe or something along those lines.

The embedding seems kind of wonky to me, if it screws up the thread I'll come back & take it down/put up a link instead of embed.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #323
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Been out for a few months now, but Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks "Mirror Traffic" is quite good. Probably my favorite album by Malkmus since Pavement ended.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #324
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Digging me some Depeche Mode today...Songs of Faith and Devotion.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #325
korme
Go Reds

MARGOT AND THE NUCLEAR SO & SO'S
German Motor Car
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #326
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, this is going to sound stupid. But I was reading the article on how the Lions fans really don't want Nickleback to be playing halftime at the Thanksgiving game. Even though I recognize the name, I never heard the music. So I checked out about 6-7 youtube videos and wondered why every one of their songs sounds exactly the same? Same tempo, same vocalization, same chord progressions, etc. And then I see tens of millions likes on youtube. Just like Bieber, I don't get it, Nickleback doesn't sound good to me. Are they really that popular and why?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And then I see tens of millions likes on youtube. Just like Bieber, I don't get it, Nickleback doesn't sound good to me. Are they really that popular and why?

I'm taking this as a serious question, so I'll try to answer as such.

I think of N'back kind of like Creed version 2.0, in that it's quite trendy & cool to knock them, same as it was with Creed.

What makes them work, I think, is the ability to write several basic types of songs that are all very accessible.

They can do light rock: "Breathe", "Photograph", "Far Away", "If Today Was Your Last Day"
They can do 18-24 drunk rock: "Burn it to the Ground", "Bottoms Up"
They can do some simple hard rock: "Side of a Bullet" is probably a fair example
They can do raunchy horny teen male rock: "Animals", "Something In Your Mouth"

They aren't the best musicians, they aren't the best songwriters, they aren't the best anything ... but they're competent at a number of things & they are particularly adept at coming up with catchy hooks. That versatility, and handlers that do a good job of juggling the release schedule of their singles, means that they can hit a huge number of people with a steady barrage of heavily played songs. And it works, over 21 million albums sold in just a little more than a decade.

Does their catalog have a striking similarity between the songs in each niche? You're damned straight it does, and that's probably the most valid criticism of them I can find. It's not remotely true when people say something like "if you've heard one Nickelback song you've heard them all" (see above) but it's probably quite fair to say that "if you've heard 5 or 6 Nickelback songs you've heard them all".

I've got no beef with them, I have no real problem saying that I enjoy quite a bit of what they do, at least their work in the styles I enjoy. Hell, I'll tell you without the least bit of hesitation that I think "Burn It to the Ground" is probably the single best arena rock song of the past decade or more.

But like Creed before them, their success makes it cool to hate them (or claim to). There hasn't been a shortage of people that like to play "hipster" (sub your own pejorative term here if you like) and bash success. {shrug} They're rarely great, but often enough they're at least pretty good & they're very easy to listen to. They've proven that can have consistent value, which no doubt pisses off the cool kids even more.

Hope that helps, I'm sure you'll find plenty of other p.o.v.'s if it doesn't
Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #328
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Very early Nickleback was even more so copy/paste. Somebody made a mp3 of two of their songs that literally were as identical as they could be but separate and had them playing at the same time just to hammer home the point. Lyrically, they are utterly and completely juvenile rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Musically, there's not much there either.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Lyrically, they are utterly and completely juvenile rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Musically, there's not much there either.

The former has been working pretty well for a lot of bands for a long time.
So has the latter, now that you mention it.

I mean, AC/DC (just to pick on someone, not comparing them directly to NB) isn't exactly known for being the most diverse musical group in history but the success is a bitch to argue with.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #330
Grover
Pro Starter

Getting extremely excited to see Noel Gallagher in Boston next weekend. I've been a huge fan since I was about 11, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? was the first album I ever owned. Drove to Toronto in 2006 to see him do a solo show.

His new album is quite good and the set-lists have been a great mix of the new songs and his Oasis-penned classics.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #331
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks Jon, that's a good and informative response.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #332
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I mean, AC/DC (just to pick on someone, not comparing them directly to NB) isn't exactly known for being the most diverse musical group in history but the success is a bitch to argue with.

You can pretty much replace the word "Nickelback" in your description with "AC/DC" and it would hold up. AC/DC recycled a lot of riffs and weren't exactly diverse lyrically (note: AC/DC is one of my all-time faves)

I too like Nickelback and not sure I get the hate. I suspect it may be because they come across as a tad pretentious - you know, they are serious hard rockers. Maybe if they lightened up a little and ditched some of the cheesy ballads?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #333
Ksyrup

At least I'm consistent - I don't like Nickleback or AC/DC.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #334
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
At least I'm consistent - I don't like Nickleback or AC/DC.
I notice you didn't mention Creed...
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The previously discussed Kyng gets their biggest opportunity to date, announced today as an opener for the In Flames/Trivium co-headlining tour in Jan & Feb 2012.

Dates & venues here
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=165750
Old 11-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #336
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I notice you didn't mention Creed...

I thought that one was a given.

They stopped in Tallahassee on The Douchebag's Jim Morrison trek across the country, and that was their last stop before they made it big. So he had a reputation before they went national. I probably disliked him more than their music, which tbh, I never heard that much of.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #337
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

AC/DC at least has Angus. KISS is very much in the same mold, but gets credit for it's live show and marketing.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #338
Ksyrup

The people have spoken, and declared Lulu to be the shit sandwich it is - they sold like 12-14K of that album in the first week. Megadeth, OTOH, sold about 3 times that many. Finally, Dave outsells Metallica on something!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-08-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The people have spoken, and declared Lulu to be the shit sandwich it is - they sold like 12-14K of that album in the first week. Megadeth, OTOH, sold about 3 times that many. Finally, Dave outsells Metallica on something!

But but but "it's not a Metallica record"
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #340
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

?uestlove on The Roots new album, which is a concept one.

SPIN Mobile - News - ?uestlove Explains How SPIN and Sufjan Inspired the Roots' 'undun'

Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #342
Grover
Pro Starter

Not generally a big fan of David Bowie covers, but this is spot on.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #343
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Digging me some Depeche Mode today...Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Missed this earlier...great album. Tough call as to which is better between that and Violator, IMO.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Started hearing some of the tracks from the new Nickelback album tonight. The formula still works quite well, Gotta Get Me Some is classic NB sleaze (God almighty, look at that body ... she's a scene from a Baywatch rerun), This Means War is NB bad-ass, Trying Not To Love You is the AC side of NB.

Love it, hate it, their streak ain't gonna be ending any time soon.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #345
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Kate Bush released a new album yesterday -- I was thinking that I didn't like her "recent stuff", but then I realized that before this, she'd only released one album in the last 18 years, so really, I was just thinking of one album that I didn't like. This one seems okay -- not classic Kate Bush, but I could see it somewhat growing on me.

NPR Media Player

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-22-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #346
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Getting extremely excited to see Noel Gallagher in Boston next weekend. I've been a huge fan since I was about 11, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? was the first album I ever owned. Drove to Toronto in 2006 to see him do a solo show.

His new album is quite good and the set-lists have been a great mix of the new songs and his Oasis-penned classics.

I may not qualify as a huge fan (I've always enjoyed Oasis but never really placed them as a favorite of mine) but The High Flying Bird's album is really good. How was the live show?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #347
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New Five Iron Frenzy Album!!!! by Dennis Culp — Kickstarter

FIF's Kickstarter page. Goal met in under an hour.

Last edited by Matthean : 11-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #348
QuikSand
lolzcat

Show Me The Place by leonardcohen
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #349
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I may not qualify as a huge fan (I've always enjoyed Oasis but never really placed them as a favorite of mine) but The High Flying Bird's album is really good. How was the live show?

The show was excellent, included 9 Oasis tunes with his acoustic stylings. Crowd singalongs, all that great stuff.

Eurovision Culture

HFB is streaming live starting at 2:30 eastern from the Melkweg in Amsterdam.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #350
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm digging the new Black Keys album quite a bit, along with the Radiohead King of Limbs Remix album and the new one from Sharon Jones and the DAP Kings.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote