Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #301
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Flobots aren't that good. But "Handlebars" is money.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #302
Easy Mac

FYI, Amazon has the Hold Steady's new album Stay Positive for $2 for today only. Very good album.

Amazon.com: Stay Positive: MP3 Downloads: The Hold Steady
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #303
MikeVic
Head Coach

After watching Closer, I've discovered Damien Rice. Really like some of the songs. He has a nice voice. Eskimo off of his album O is just epic.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #304
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
After watching Closer, I've discovered Damien Rice. Really like some of the songs. He has a nice voice. Eskimo off of his album O is just epic.

Yeah, I like his stuff although I liked "O" a lot more than his most recent album.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #305
kurtism
High School Varsity

Nothing new, but given that things have been relatively quiet in this thread of late, and given that I am a huge fan of his work, I figured why not offer up a few of Richard Thompson's tunes thanks to our friends at YouTube:

First off, a little something from Austin City Limits - a classic RT spite tune, with a killer solo:

YouTube - Richard Thompson - Put It There Pal

Next, one of his classics, an acoustic tragic love song:

YouTube - Richard Thompson - Beeswing - California 2005

Staying on the same theme, another tragic love song (this time with motorcycles and bank robbery):

YouTube - Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent - California 2005

Finally, a live piece from a 2007 show. The audio is pretty good for an amateur recording, but this one is in for the solo:

YouTube - Richard Thompson Band - Hard On Me

Enjoy!

Last edited by kurtism : 08-21-2008 at 09:52 PM.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #306
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've been listening to Amy MacDonald's debut album lately. It's been out for about a year in the UK but was only released stateside last week. She has incredible talent for her age, 20, and the whole album has a very '70s vibe to it. These songs are pretty upbeat, catch and highly recommended. MacDonald will inevitably be compared to another female Scottish singer-songwriter, KT Tunstall, but MacDonald is 13 years younger than Tunstall and, at least in my mind, more enjoyable, too.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #307
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
FYI, Amazon has the Hold Steady's new album Stay Positive for $2 for today only. Very good album.

Amazon.com: Stay Positive: MP3 Downloads: The Hold Steady

Just picked this up on emusic. Liking it a bunch so far.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #308
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Albert Hammond, Jr.'s Como Te Llama is good listening.

Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) album in his name is okay, but not that notable.

Janelle Monae released her debut CD (though it only has enough tracks to make me think it's a glorified EP) and it's...strange and kooky, but she's got talent.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #309
korme
Go Reds

Shwayze - Shwayze
Shwayze's debut album is easy going, most songs sound very similar, with every chorus backed up by Cisco. I love his two singles - Buzzin', and Corona and Lime - easy going, simple summer songs that just put you into a good mood. Some songs on the rest of the CD are just bad, but all in all it's a nice CD to put in if you've got company and you're having a barbecue.

Last edited by korme : 08-26-2008 at 05:39 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #310
sabotai
General Manager

I'm probably the last person to hear this song, but I've been listening to the Jason Nevin's remix of Rock Star by N.E.R.D. since hearing it recently in Burnout: Paradise.

(fan made video) : YouTube - Burnout 2007 - Rockstar remix
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #311
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'm probably the last person to hear this song, but I've been listening to the Jason Nevin's remix of Rock Star by N.E.R.D. since hearing it recently in Burnout: Paradise.

(fan made video) : YouTube - Burnout 2007 - Rockstar remix

You are now no worse than second last. Cool song.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #312
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Last few albums kicked on my ipod:

Wings - Band on the Run
Lilly Allen - Can't remember the name of the album but the one with LDN in it
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

(yeah I have varied tastes what can I say)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #313
Easy Mac

Not really "new" albums,

But Amazon mp3 has Beck's "Modern Guilt" and The National's "Boxer" for $5 each. Highly recommend both albums.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #314
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Not really "new" albums,

But Amazon mp3 has Beck's "Modern Guilt" and The National's "Boxer" for $5 each. Highly recommend both albums.

I second "Boxer," it's really a great album. I'd wanted to listen to The National for a long time but every time I tried I just couldn't get into them. I finally just bought the album and it was all I listened to for weeks straight. It's haunting.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #315
path12
Coordinator

Joe Jackson's old stuff is now on Itunes. I downloaded Beat Crazy and have been listening to that a bunch. Still stands up pretty well. It was always my favorite album of his.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #316
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Being the father of a 13 year old girl I hear far too much of Miley Cyrus than is good for me. But horror of all horrors my daughter recently found the Chipmunks version of "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" on youtube. If you've ever had one of those songs go around and around in your head then you'll know what a nightmare this one is

But while helping her search out Miley's songs we came across a youtube video that had me saying "there's no way that's Miley Cyrus" and had me searching for the real singer. It turned out to be Miranda Lambert and the song was "Gunpowder and Lead". Good to watch too. Here:

I've tried to find more music of this type - only one other from Miranda called "Kerosene" - but I guess you guys are the ones that can point me in the right direction. I suppose I'd call it "sassy, country rock". Do you know of artists/music similar to this?

Here's another song I came across in a different vein. I'm not sure this forum will allow me to type in the title - it's Martha Wainwright singing "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole". Don't be put off by the title:

The chorus itself (not till halfway through the video) is one of the most appealing musical sequences I've ever heard.

If there's any Leonard Cohen fans reading this then look up Martha singing Cohen songs. Haunting!

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-13-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
I've tried to find more music of this type - only one other from Miranda called "Kerosene" - but I guess you guys are the ones that can point me in the right direction. I suppose I'd call it "sassy, country rock". Do you know of artists/music similar to this?

From Miranda, you definitely need to hear Crazy Ex-Girlfriend too.

Assuming you mean female vocals with some attitude on the rock side of country (and not just edgier country in general), first one that came to mind was Gretchen Wilson (a protege of sorts of Big & Rich), quite a few songs to choose from there across several albums.

Former American Idol Carrie Underwood strikes a similar note with Before He Cheats. Mindy McCready's Guys Do It All the Time fits the bill. You might also like Lila McCann Down Came A Blackbird too. Sara Evans goes there with Suds in the Bucket.

Not all that many artists that are in the country mainstream are consistently in that style (gotta mix it up to maintain airplay) but maybe this will give you a few more songs if not artists to enjoy.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #318
samifan24
Pro Starter

Miranda Lambert's "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is an outstanding album.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #319
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Thanks, guys. I've scribbled all those names down. I have come across and been impressed by Carrie Underwood, Jon.

It doesn't have to be female - though I am trying to wean my daughter off Miley Cyrus

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-13-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #320
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't have to be female - though I am trying to wean my daughter off Miley Cyrus

Ohhhhhh ... heck, there are more guys in that niche than gals. Lemme see here, I could probably just check my iTunes and knock out some for you. I'll miss plenty of good ones (or even better ones) that way but it'll cover some lesser known artists that are quite good IMO.

Big & Rich -- big stars ever since Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy. Quite a few songs that fit the description.

Chris Cagle -- [i]Lightning Does the Work[i] caught my attention. Chicks Dig It was a bigger hit.

Chris LeDoux -- Died in 2005 but left a legacy of rodeo & cowboy inspired songs. Was an underground favorite who caught national attention when his name was mentioned in Garth Brooks hit Much Too Young. Little Long Haired Outlaw and Even Cowboys Like A Little Rock & Roll weren't hits but fit the bill.

Montgomery Gentry -- Country's power duo. Hell Yeah, All Night Long, Hillbilly Shoes, even Gone.

David Lee Murphy -- Not quite rockin' but solid up tempo country.
I recommend older songs like Dust On the Bottle and Out With A Bang

I could be here all day at this rate. Let me just throw some more names & titles at you.

Jamey Johnson -- Rebelicious
Hot Apple Pie -- Hillbillies
Jason Aldean -- Hicktown
Keith Anderson -- Pickin' Wildflowers, Three Chord Country and [i]XXL[i]
Little Big Town -- Boondocks
Trace Adkins -- Rough & Ready, Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, Chrome
Trent Tomlinson -- Hey Batter Batter
Van Zant -- Help Somebody, My Kind of Country
Travis Tritt -- hell, half his songs fit here
Toby Keith -- see Tritt, Travis
Lost Trailers -- Holler Back
Blake Shelton -- Ol' Red
Joe Nichols -- Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off (not really rockin but it appealed to the same crowd IMO)

There's definitely some stuff in there that's better described as modern country than anything rock, but given her Miley Cyrus fetish I figure what might appeal would be broader than any narrow definition. And let's face it, a lot of things would qualify as an improvement Good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #321
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Joe Jackson's old stuff is now on Itunes. I downloaded Beat Crazy and have been listening to that a bunch. Still stands up pretty well. It was always my favorite album of his.

You mean it wasn't on itunes before? I have a few of his albums (my favorite swings a lot more recent, Heaven and Hell), but not Beat Crazy (though I probably have some songs from it). I'll have to check it out.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #322
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
You mean it wasn't on itunes before? I have a few of his albums (my favorite swings a lot more recent, Heaven and Hell), but not Beat Crazy (though I probably have some songs from it). I'll have to check it out.

It wasn't a few months ago which had been the last time I checked. They had a couple of partial things was all. Now it's whole catalog. I need to get Jumpin' Jive also.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #323
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Gunpowder and Lead is neck and neck with Paper Planes as my favorite song of 2007.

and I am SO off to check out Martha Wainwright this minute.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #324
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

finally fished out Metallica's Death Magnetic from the sea of fakes floating around out there. I've only skimmed through, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. It seems like there's some really interesting parts (I'm digging Cyanide, for example), but a lot of the songs seem like interesting riffs that just end up going into St Anger-like noise, and that album is completely unlistenable. It's one thing to like certain songs on albums, but I don't think it's going to work to like just parts of certain songs.

Production has always been hit or miss for these guys - some albums (Black Album, Master) sound great, others - St Anger, Justice - sound like crap. This sounds more like the latter. It seems like goal #1 was to make Ulrich's drums drown out everything else. Not a good idea.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #325
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New Kings of Leon album comes out tomorrow. Only By The Night and you can stream it now (though only a few songs entirely at a time) on last.fm.

It sounds outstanding, as usual.

New TV On the Radio comes out tomorrow, too. From what I've heard, sounds good, I'll need to hear more.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-15-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #326
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The new TV On The Radio is great. I hated their first album outside of "Staring At The Sun," thought the 2nd album was pretty interesting with some nice bright spots, but think they finally nailed whatever it is they are working towards on this one.

If you didn't like this band before (I thought they sucked for years), i would recommend giving them another chance via the new album.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #327
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The chorus itself (not till halfway through the video) is one of the most appealing musical sequences I've ever heard.

If there's any Leonard Cohen fans reading this then look up Martha singing Cohen songs. Haunting!

Thank you for introducing me to Martha Wainwright. Gawd Damn....
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #328
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
The new TV On The Radio is great. I hated their first album outside of "Staring At The Sun," thought the 2nd album was pretty interesting with some nice bright spots, but think they finally nailed whatever it is they are working towards on this one.

If you didn't like this band before (I thought they sucked for years), i would recommend giving them another chance via the new album.

+1

I loved them before and they're still on fire.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #329
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
+1

I loved them before and they're still on fire.

Me too.

Quite enjoying the new Walkmen album as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #330
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm not sure if I've mentioned James Pants in here yet, but if not, this album is awesome.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #331
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

interesting followup to my Metallica production complaint above:
Analysis: Metallica's Death Magnetic Sounds Better in Guitar Hero | Listening Post from Wired.com
Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #332
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

King Khan & The Shrines are a tour de force.

Welfare Bread - King Khan and The Shrines
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #333
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
King Khan & The Shrines are a tour de force.

Welfare Bread - King Khan and The Shrines

ooh, I just heard a song by King Khan on Sound Opinions a while ago, and really liked it. I'll definitely check this out...sometime.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #334
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh Darius Rucker's country album is actually pretty good.

Brad Paisley plays guitar on this one track All I Want...which I think is probably the best song on the album.

All I Want - Darius Rucker
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #335
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Jeez, that Darius Rucker song is actually pretty good. Considering I'm not a fan of country or Hootie, and I pretty much only clicked play to get a chuckle, that says something.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #336
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Jeez, that Darius Rucker song is actually pretty good. Considering I'm not a fan of country or Hootie, and I pretty much only clicked play to get a chuckle, that says something.

News : "Learn to Live" #1

His album sold just over 60,000 copies last week and is #1 on the country charts and #4 on billboard's top 200 this week.

Not a bad start at all. Good for him.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #337
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've heard the first three songs or so of Bloc Party's new album... they really changed their sound, eh?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #338
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I've heard the first three songs or so of Bloc Party's new album... they really changed their sound, eh?

I haven't checked it out. I will tonight, but I didn't mind their last album too much. Is this way different than that?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #339
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I haven't checked it out. I will tonight, but I didn't mind their last album too much. Is this way different than that?

I liked the guitars and sound of their first two quite a bit... enough so that they're listed with four or five other bands as my favourite... so I was 110% fine with their old sound. This new sound seems different. I think two of the songs I heard had no guitars at all, and one had some choir chanting thing. Need to listen to it multiple times completely to give on an opinion, but I definitely think it's different (the first three or four songs leads me to believe at least).
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #340
HerRealName
College Prospect

King Khan is incredible. Check out King Khan and the BBQ Show too. Great stuff.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #341
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I liked the guitars and sound of their first two quite a bit... enough so that they're listed with four or five other bands as my favourite... so I was 110% fine with their old sound. This new sound seems different. I think two of the songs I heard had no guitars at all, and one had some choir chanting thing. Need to listen to it multiple times completely to give on an opinion, but I definitely think it's different (the first three or four songs leads me to believe at least).

I listened to it last night some. I'm not sure I have an opinion strongly on it yet.

In other news, Ray LaMontagne is amazing. I knew this. Just wanted to say it again.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #342
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
In other news, Ray LaMontagne is amazing. I knew this. Just wanted to say it again.

Yes, I'm looking forward to "Gossip in the Grain" when it comes out next month.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #343
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ohhhhhh ... heck, there are more guys in that niche than gals. Lemme see here, I could probably just check my iTunes and knock out some for you. I'll miss plenty of good ones (or even better ones) that way but it'll cover some lesser known artists that are quite good IMO.

Big & Rich -- big stars ever since Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy. Quite a few songs that fit the description.

Chris Cagle -- [i]Lightning Does the Work[i] caught my attention. Chicks Dig It was a bigger hit.

Chris LeDoux -- Died in 2005 but left a legacy of rodeo & cowboy inspired songs. Was an underground favorite who caught national attention when his name was mentioned in Garth Brooks hit Much Too Young. Little Long Haired Outlaw and Even Cowboys Like A Little Rock & Roll weren't hits but fit the bill.

Montgomery Gentry -- Country's power duo. Hell Yeah, All Night Long, Hillbilly Shoes, even Gone.

David Lee Murphy -- Not quite rockin' but solid up tempo country.
I recommend older songs like Dust On the Bottle and Out With A Bang

I could be here all day at this rate. Let me just throw some more names & titles at you.

Jamey Johnson -- Rebelicious
Hot Apple Pie -- Hillbillies
Jason Aldean -- Hicktown
Keith Anderson -- Pickin' Wildflowers, Three Chord Country and [i]XXL[i]
Little Big Town -- Boondocks
Trace Adkins -- Rough & Ready, Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, Chrome
Trent Tomlinson -- Hey Batter Batter
Van Zant -- Help Somebody, My Kind of Country
Travis Tritt -- hell, half his songs fit here
Toby Keith -- see Tritt, Travis
Lost Trailers -- Holler Back
Blake Shelton -- Ol' Red
Joe Nichols -- Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off (not really rockin but it appealed to the same crowd IMO)

There's definitely some stuff in there that's better described as modern country than anything rock, but given her Miley Cyrus fetish I figure what might appeal would be broader than any narrow definition. And let's face it, a lot of things would qualify as an improvement Good luck.

Thanks, Jon. Georgie's gone to bed now and I have the PC to myself I look up some of those.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #344
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Thank you for introducing me to Martha Wainwright. Gawd Damn....

That song is the first I ever heard from her. Every so often you hear something that creates so much emotion it sends shivers down your spine. Dylan's harmonica solo at the end of Desolation Row is another such moment. Some things just hit it right.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-25-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #345
kurtism
High School Varsity

Accidentally stumbled over a band called "The Parlor Mob" the other day, and have been giving their debut album a listen. Jersey boys, apparently formerly more "prog-rock" before making the move over to Zeppelin-esque colossal blues rock. Great rhythm section, great guitar, and a lead who conjures echoes of Robert Plant in his hedonistic heyday quite readily.

Roadrunner Records has some of their stuff for free. Worth a listen if you like your new rock with a nod towards the past. Also some tunes out there via YouTube, but I can't link from here.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/ParlorMob/
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #346
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
New Kings of Leon album comes out tomorrow. Only By The Night and you can stream it now (though only a few songs entirely at a time) on last.fm.

It sounds outstanding, as usual.

Word. I'm really liking this. Also pretty happy with the new Cold War Kids disc.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #347
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Completely agree.

I've been listening to Feed the Animals, the new one from Girl Talk. Girl Talk is a DJ who mixes all sorts of popular samples - from Jimi Hendrix to Soulja Boy - in often hilarious fashion. It's a little too chaotic to listen to all the time, but I'm still enjoying it a great deal.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #348
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
best single I've heard in a while:

MGMT - "Time To Pretend"

YouTube - MGMT - Time To Pretend

I'm really digging their next single. "Kids"

YouTube - MGMT "Kids" Video
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #349
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Word. I'm really liking this. Also pretty happy with the new Cold War Kids disc.

Second listen of KOL has got me liking the first three songs before they descend into an impression of an average lounge band.

Each album has gotten worse since their debut IMHO.

On the plus side, really liking the Glasvegas album: best I've bought in a long while.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #350
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I finally got around to picking up the new Offspring album Rise and Fall Rage and Grace. It is absolutly fantastic and has reknewed my love for the band.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote