Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #301
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Spoken like someone who's never been to Austintown. That place is dirty.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #302
stevew
Hall Of Famer

7 cards left, 1.28M prize didn't hit, said to approach 2M next week. I may get tickets for the next drawing because the winner no longer has to be present to win
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #303
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

What would you do with Powerball winnings?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least he didn't scream "F her right in the P!" On live TV
Old 01-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #305
tarcone
Coordinator

That was the best answer ever.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #306
Racer
College Benchwarmer

With No Powerball Winners, Jackpot Grows to Estimated $1.3 Billion - ABC News

No winner. Powerball estimated jackpot up to $1.3 billion.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #307
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Won $42...haha
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife and I were talking this morning that we're going to have to buy some tickets.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #309
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I "won" $4 on a $6 investment. I'll have to get 5 tickets for Wednesday.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #310
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the prospect - no matter how tiny - of suddenly jumping from current assets to a billion dollars is more frightening than exciting.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #311
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
the prospect - no matter how tiny - of suddenly jumping from current assets to a billion dollars is more frightening than exciting.

No worries. After taxes you'll still be below a billion.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just want to be able to give my children a small loan of one million dollars.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #313
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Won $42...haha

That won't buy you a lot of cocaine or hookers.

So I hear.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #314
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

Not that I would turn it down if I won, but I think it is a scarier jackpot to win then most. Because of the historic number the media all over it. Just way too much attention. My daydream plans after winning the lotto calls for collecting it anonymously so it would make it all the harder.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #315
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Even if your state allows you to collect anonymously, I don't think there's anyway you're going to be able to keep your identity secret with a win of this size.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #316
Kodos
Resident Alien

I would make a special suit and go out to fight crime at night.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #317
Barkeep49
Coordinator

And unlike with regular wealth there would be no sense you'd earned it so people would be more aggressive about wanting to get some for themselves. I think the winner can plan on losing just about all their friends and alienating most of their family. Congrats on winning.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #318
Kodos
Resident Alien

Eh, if you used it to help charitable causes, I doubt people would resent you. Maybe if you did the hookers and coke thing.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #319
Logan
Head Coach

I think the move is to get the hell out of the country for a few years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #320
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Even if your state allows you to collect anonymously, I don't think there's anyway you're going to be able to keep your identity secret with a win of this size.

I agree. People will be looking at the surveillance footage of the Qwik-Stop from when you bought the ticket.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #321
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
And unlike with regular wealth there would be no sense you'd earned it so people would be more aggressive about wanting to get some for themselves.

While this is true, I would imagine lottery winners get a lot of aggressive solicitation for all sorts of causes because they're easy marks, comparatively, to people who have had wealth for a while and have gotten used to people asking for money.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #322
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'd give 99% of my winnings to a random person on Facebook who clicked on the Like button.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #323
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Some people need to learn basic math. I am getting so tired of that facebook post going around saying that if the 1.3 billion was split between everyone in the US it would be 4.3 million per person... IDIOTS... It would be $4.33 per person... and since that is the annuity it would be split over 25 years so everyone in the US would get a little over 17 cents per year for the next 25 years.

Sorry, had to rant and this was the easiest thread to place it in, the FB thread wasn't in sight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #324
QuikSand
lolzcat

I won't have time to read this for a while, but thought the topic was worth sharing.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/news...inkId=20272023

I don't recall if it was long ago in this thread or elsewhere, but I know we have talked about lotto syndicates here at FOFC before.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #325
tarcone
Coordinator

I was talking to someone at work. And we got on the Waltons that live in Columbia, MO. he was at a game with someone and they pointed out a mansion that one of Waltons lived in. When they pulled in their garage they went though 3 garage doors to get to the interior. They constantly put up with death threats and threats of kidnapping of their kids.

Life would most certainly change.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #326
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First thing I would do if I won was let Mr. Glass know in the press conference that I was ready to pay him a price he couldn't refuse to become the new owner of the World Champs.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #327
digamma
Torchbearer

That's a cool thought, but after taking the lump sum and taxes you wouldn't have enough to pay the $700 million at which Forbes values the Royals. Plus that's a pre-2015 valuation and I'm guessing it's not a price he couldn't refuse. But it is a cool thought.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #328
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You use debt leverage anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #329
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
You use debt leverage anyway.

I was actually going to start my post with, unless you're ready to take on hundreds of millions of debt...
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #330
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Read about the Glazers' purchase of Manchester United. They spent very little (any?) of their money, but instead used Manchester United itself as collateral to buy via debt leverage.

As far as I can tell, the only point of them having a lot of money themselves was to have actual credibility for the transaction.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #331
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, in most mergers and acquisitions (and sports franchises are no different), taking on debt to finance the purchase is not unusual. The availability of financing and the terms depends on a lot of factors, including the credibility of the principal(s) of the purchaser (particularly where the purchaser is a private entity (either individual or private company)).
Old 01-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #332
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You mean spending all your money on a business, and not leave any money for the actual running of the business is a bad idea?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #333
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So after taking a lump sum and paying taxes, you would have, what? About $300 million?

That's so much money. Even if I could take it anonymously, I'd still wonder what to do with it. I mean, sure, all of the typical lottery dreams. Travel, good food, hookers, cocaine, etc. But then you would actually have enough left to do something like buy your own island. Or your own minor league team. Or start a $200 million non-profit. Or buy every billboard in the metro DC area and use them all to make fun of Dan Snyder.

I'd actually be somewhat paralyzed by the choices presented by, not just lottery money, but real honest-to-goodness fuck you money.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #334
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I was talking to someone at work. And we got on the Waltons that live in Columbia, MO. he was at a game with someone and they pointed out a mansion that one of Waltons lived in. When they pulled in their garage they went though 3 garage doors to get to the interior. They constantly put up with death threats and threats of kidnapping of their kids.

Life would most certainly change.

This would be my fear...would winning the money actually be worth it? Especially after reading this article. You Didn't Win The Powerball. Good. You Probably Dodged A Bullet.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 01-12-2016 at 09:51 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #335
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'd actually be somewhat paralyzed by the choices presented by, not just lottery money, but real honest-to-goodness fuck you money.

Any time you come into a large windfall of money, the first two calls you have to make are to an attorney and a money manager.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #336
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
This would be my fear...would winning the money actually be worth it? Especially after reading this article. You Didn't Win The Powerball. Good. You Probably Dodged A Bullet.
My wife and I had a conversation about this last night. We both landed at a place that if there's a single winner of *this* much money who is a relational human being with current financial status anywhere from poverty to upper middle class, the best play might be to pay off any debts you may owe, buy a home if you don't already own one or fix up the one you have, put relatively tiny percentages away for college fund(s) and retirement, and then very publicly give the rest away to trusted non-profits. Otherwise, it would seem that getting that much money that quickly would end up ruining most of your relationships.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #337
Kodos
Resident Alien

YaleNews | Monkeys’ reaction to those who have more? Spite

Even monkeys would punish people who won the Lotto.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #338
Logan
Head Coach

Isn't the pot large enough at this point where taking the annuity might make more sense from a practicality standpoint (assume solo winner)?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #339
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
My wife and I had a conversation about this last night. We both landed at a place that if there's a single winner of *this* much money who is a relational human being with current financial status anywhere from poverty to upper middle class, the best play might be to pay off any debts you may owe, buy a home if you don't already own one or fix up the one you have, put relatively tiny percentages away for college fund(s) and retirement, and then very publicly give the rest away to trusted non-profits. Otherwise, it would seem that getting that much money that quickly would end up ruining most of your relationships.

I'd save a bunch for traveling too, but otherwise, definitely one of the best parts about winning that kind of money would be how much you could give away, how many problems you could solve for people and causes you care about. You could vastly improve the lives of everyone who matters to you, and you'd have a huge opportunity to make the world a better place. Which would be both more meaningful and more fun than golden rocket cars or butlers to wipe your ass. I don't understand at all the mindset that winning could possibly be "dodging a bullet". I guess you could try to spend your way to happiness and fulfillment and that can backfire, but that's not the only mindset that you can apply to money.

Last edited by molson : 01-12-2016 at 01:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #340
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Isn't the pot large enough at this point where taking the annuity might make more sense from a practicality standpoint (assume solo winner)?

Mark Cuban suggests that the winner do so...

Mark Cuban’s tips for eventual winner of the $1.4 billion (or more) Powerball jackpot | | Dallas Morning News

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't it better to take the lump sum cause you know what the tax rate is now and with inflation, etc, and possible rate changes your yearly payout will likely have significant bites taken out of it? Just pay yourself an allowance and diversify into index type funds.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #342
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont think it's good to be the most famous lottery winner ever.

and i'd be terrified for my family's safety.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #343
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The lump sum is the better option, but I can see an argument for the annuity if you aren't financially savvy.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #344
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Isn't it better to take the lump sum cause you know what the tax rate is now and with inflation, etc, and possible rate changes your yearly payout will likely have significant bites taken out of it? Just pay yourself an allowance and diversify into index type funds.

Yea. The gist of Cuban's advice is "who cares, its so much money that you don't need to think about optimizing it, just take the yearly annuity so you can't fuck it up and stick it in the bank instead of risking it anywhere"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #345
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i dont think it's good to be the most famous lottery winner ever.

and i'd be terrified for my family's safety.

Yeah, if I won I'd have to seriously consider hiring a bodyguard for each member of my family.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #346
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, there are definitely some major cons to winning that much money. Enough to make me not want it? Absolutely not.

I read this post by somebody on Reddit who took the story about the West Virginia man and also offered some advice.

BlakeClass comments on You just won a 656 Million Dollar Lottery. What do you do now?

I would do similar to what somebody said in there. I would just straight up disappear with my girlfriend for a couple months. Changed my billing address, new phone number. I don't even know if I'd tell my mother where I was going other then a phone call occasionally checking in. I love my family but they can rest easy knowing at some point I'll take care of them but for the immediate future I'm on some beach for quite awhile. And I would never come back to where I am from and live now. I would be buying a home or two where nobody knows who I am.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #347
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yea, there are definitely some major cons to winning that much money. Enough to make me not want it? Absolutely not.

I read this post by somebody on Reddit who took the story about the West Virginia man and also offered some advice.

BlakeClass comments on You just won a 656 Million Dollar Lottery. What do you do now?

I would do similar to what somebody said in there. I would just straight up disappear with my girlfriend for a couple months. Changed my billing address, new phone number. I don't even know if I'd tell my mother where I was going other then a phone call occasionally checking in. I love my family but they can rest easy knowing at some point I'll take care of them but for the immediate future I'm on some beach for quite awhile. And I would never come back to where I am from and live now. I would be buying a home or two where nobody knows who I am.

+1
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #348
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, with 2 kids the "disappear" option isn't super appealing to me.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if it was an original idea, but my brother suggested that you buy 8 tickets with the same combo. If you win and split with 2 other people, you get 80% of the prize instead of 33.3%. Plus the internet would lose its mind.

Last edited by stevew : 01-12-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #350
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

What better 80% of one combo or 33% of 8 different combos?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote