Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #301
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Just an incredible hire for Washington State. Ugh...no idea who the next candidate is for Kansas.
Not sure what the budget is at Kansas, but it sounds like WSU ponied up somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5M per year for 5 years. That Pac-12 TV deal is already having an impact...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #302
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought June Jones was much older than 58. I checked out his bio and was surprised -- I never realized that he was only like 40 when he got the Atlanta Falcons job.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #303
path12
Coordinator

I'm happy for WSU. I think Wulff did a decent job to get them out of the crater the program was in and now Moos and Leach try to get to the next level. It will be interesting to watch at the very least.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #304
tarcone
Coordinator

PAC-xx looking to put up some basketball scores?
It must be the "We have to outscore Oregon to beat them" trend.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #305
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looks like ucla got Peterson. Nice upgrade of coaches throughout the conference.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, that was unexpected.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #307
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If true, it's coming from a minor source. ESPN, SI, Yahoo, and Rivals have nothing on it.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #308
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yea I can't find it anywhere yet...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #310
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Texas A&M is going to be firing Mike Sherman barring a change of heart. It's on footballrumormill.com, citing Texas radio reports.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #311
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seems like the only place that Peterson to UCLA is coming from is the UCLA boards and absolutely nowhere else. Can't see him going after turning them down the first time.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #312
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Seems like the only place that Peterson to UCLA is coming from is the UCLA boards and absolutely nowhere else. Can't see him going after turning them down the first time.

Only place I saw it was on a New York Giants board of all places. Not on any UCLA board at least.

Petersen turned them down once for a variety of reasons. And while he could stay there, a lot of obstacles have been removed. Namely the 2 million dollars added to his contract and another 750K for staff that wasn't previously in the contract. His son's doctor has also transferred to the UCLA medical center.

Not saying it's going to happen, but there are a lot of ducks in a row at this point
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #313
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw a twitter report about it ysterday evening, but all I caught was someone apologizing for it and calling it false.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #314
Ksyrup

PaulCalvisi Paul Calvisi
BREAKING NEWS: Multiple sources confirm ASU has made contact w/reps for Kevin Sumlin & they are "down the road." Ready to spend $2.5M per yr
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-01-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #315
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently Texas A&M is going to be firing Mike Sherman barring a change of heart. It's on footballrumormill.com, citing Texas radio reports.

ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
I'm told Mike Sherman - and his $8 million buyout - will be back at Texas A&M next season.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #316
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw a twitter report about it ysterday evening, but all I caught was someone apologizing for it and calling it false.

Deal isn't done yet, so definitely premature for any announcements.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #317
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Deal isn't done yet, so definitely premature for any announcements.

So you missed out on how the OSU/Meyer thing was handled?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #318
bronconick
College Starter

Couple rumors that Mack Brown's going to retire after the game vs. Baylor.

/UCLA loses Petersen to Texas, kills self.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #319
DeToxRox
Head Coach

FWIW the rumors about Peterson stem from the fact his son apparently has brain cancer and his doctor recently took a job at the UCLA medical facility.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #320
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'm happy for WSU. I think Wulff did a decent job to get them out of the crater the program was in and now Moos and Leach try to get to the next level. It will be interesting to watch at the very least.

Love that hire, Leach is not a company man by any means, but he got shafted at Tech. He is a winner and will bring the kind of excitement to WSU that has not been there since Mike Price. Lots of folks down here really wanted ASU to go after him, but it looks like Sumlin was and will continue to be the top target for the Sun Devils.

If UCLA does get Peterson and Sumlin can infuse some energy and discipline into ASU, the PAC-12 will be a lot more competitive very soon.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #321
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
FWIW the rumors about Peterson stem from the fact his son apparently has brain cancer and his doctor recently took a job at the UCLA medical facility.

BSU announced the rush hire of Mark Coyle, an Deputy AD from Kentucky, who had previously been signed off on by Petersen
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #322
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

If I am Boise State, I do whatever is necessary to keep Peterson. Anything. Up to and including a parade, running over Kathy Griffin with a school bus (sorry Pumpy), scheduling anyone who will take them, and a pie-eating contest.

Actually, probably not the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #323
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hearing that Rodriguez will bring his long-time OC Calvin Magee (currently at Pitt) with him to Arizona, along with OL Coach Greg Frey and OC/QB Coach Rod Smith from Indiana. Rod's former strength coach, Crazy Ass Mike Barwis will also on board. Surprisingly, Tony "Mini-Me" Gibson is still up in the air because his wife and family may not want to relocate again.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #324
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Surprisingly, Tony "Mini-Me" Gibson is still up in the air because his wife and family may not want to relocate again.

They are sitting this one out but will be ready in 3 years when Rich Rod is canned again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #325
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Hearing that Rodriguez will bring his long-time OC Calvin Magee (currently at Pitt) with him to Arizona, along with OL Coach Greg Frey and OC/QB Coach Rod Smith from Indiana. Rod's former strength coach, Crazy Ass Mike Barwis will also on board. Surprisingly, Tony "Mini-Me" Gibson is still up in the air because his wife and family may not want to relocate again.

Wow, I don't think Arizona fans understand what they're getting themselves into with this.

If this is true then Rich obviously hasn't learned any lessons from his time at WVU and Michigan. Rich is going to make a circus of another schools he coaches at.

For Arizona fans:

Calvin Magee - Average coach. Terrible person. One of the worst recruiters coaching at the BCS level.

Tony Gibson - Maybe the worst assistant coach in D-1FBS. Solid recruiter. Was a bad high school coach in West Virginia before becoming Rich's best friend and becoming known as "mini-me" or "coffee bitch" to fans at WVU and Michigan.

Mike Barwis - Good, not great Strength and conditioning coach. If you ever spoke to him he'd probably try to convince you that he invented strength and conditioning. Puts too much bulk on players and it leads to a lot of muscle pulls.

I really don't have anything on Frey and Dews. Average assistants while at WVU.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #326
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Petersen's son is healthy:

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...ial-needs-kid/
Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #327
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Football Rumor Mill 7:15 pm on December 1, 2011

Reports now confirmed what Football Rumor Mill reported earlier: Texas A&M fires Mike Sherman
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #328
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer

RT @kbohls Texas A&M has decided to fire football Mike Sherman but has not yet notified him, a prominent Aggie source just told me.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #329
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Football Rumor Mill 7:15 pm on December 1, 2011

Reports now confirmed what Football Rumor Mill reported earlier: Texas A&M fires Mike Sherman

Welcome to the SEC Mike Sher....oh, wait.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #330
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So now ASU has to wait to see what happens with the A&M gig more than likely. I assume Sumlin will get a look from the Aggies, though I think Fedora would be an excellent hire as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #331
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/12...-aggies-coach/

According to this, Sherman never signed the raise and extension he got last year! That made it a lot less expensive to get rid of him.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #332
Swaggs
Coordinator

There are some rumors floating out there that Mack Brown might announce his retirement. Wonder who is on Texas' shortlist?

Gary Patterson?

I bet Muschamp would like a mulligan.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #333
Ksyrup

Quote:
ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
I'm told Mike Sherman - and his $8 million buyout - will be back at Texas A&M next season.

Looks like you was told wrong, Chip!

Now, when that same source tells you something else down the road, are you going to print it without thinking, or consider the source?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #334
Ksyrup

Quote:

I was kinda hoping he'd take Rick Trickett from FSU. Our OL completely sucked this year, and considering Jimbo wants "grown ass men" on the line and Trickett's specialty is smaller guys, I'd say we have an issue here. I still hoping he makes a move either way. Probably doesn't bode well for his son's future at QB, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #335
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Now, when that same source tells you something else down the road, are you going to print it without thinking, or consider the source?

From what I hear from my Aggie friends, the AD told Sherman that he was coming back, but the Board of Regents overruled the athletic department and fired him.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-02-2011 at 07:52 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #336
Ksyrup

@7sbackkkTX
Uzoma Nwachukwu
What I'm reading better be fake. Not kidding

@7sbackkkTX
Uzoma Nwachukwu
Way way wayyyy beyond livid. Furious.

@7sbackkkTX
Uzoma Nwachukwu
Funny how all these decisions are made without thinking of the players. Funny how things work

@7sbackkkTX
Uzoma Nwachukwu
How ****ing dumb is this.

@7sbackkkTX
Uzoma Nwachukwu
The Fakeness going on in college station is unreal.

@Nuff_ced70
Cedric Ogbuehi
I'm very pissed right now

@Nuff_ced70
Cedric Ogbuehi
Everybody in the front office are so fake I swear, come to us smiling all the time n *****then do this...

StephenMcGee07
I find it extremely difficult to point to Sherman for the seasons' shortcomings.. He put his team in situations to win every game and at some point players have to make plays.. A&M has made some bold long term decisions
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #337
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I was kinda hoping he'd take Rick Trickett from FSU. Our OL completely sucked this year, and considering Jimbo wants "grown ass men" on the line and Trickett's specialty is smaller guys, I'd say we have an issue here. I still hoping he makes a move either way. Probably doesn't bode well for his son's future at QB, though.

I don't think Rodriguez and Trickett are on good terms.

No doubt Trickett could find another job easily enough, but I doubt it would be at Arizona.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #338
Ksyrup

Yeah, I heard there was no chance of that happening from the Tally guys, but didn't know why. Trickett's a good coach, I just think we have a mismatch between what he's good at coaching and what we're trying to do on the OL.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #339
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA. Oh, you were serious (ok, no you weren't)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party and I'm not still in Lawrence, but I bet a lot of the people who wanted Gill gone were the same people who wanted Mangino out after a 5-7 season. He took Kansas as high as one could reasonably expect in football, once established: seasons of 7-5, 6-6, and 8-5 sandwiched around one magical 12-1 where everything went right.

That said, I think Mangino had to go because of how dirty he was and not because of a 5-7 season. Yes, he cheated but he was clumsy about it, not like some of the more practiced cheaters out there and it was threatening the basketball program, which is still the elite program and the money maker.

Unfortunately, Turner Gill was not a good fit. And it's going to be a lot tougher to hire a good, young coach with "we went 0-fer the Big XII this past season and fired our last guy after 2 years" than "Sure, we were 5-7 last year, but 8 and 12 wins the two seasons before that". The team has gotten much worse and it's not even like rebuilding in baseball where you can at least see a few bright spots. But 2 years is too soon to pull the plug on any coach for purely talent reasons (as opposed to off-field troubles) and it's probably going to make this choice that much worse than it could have been.

SI

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #341
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Mangino ... sandwiched

I'm sorry, I stopped right here. I'm a horrible person.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sorry, I stopped right here. I'm a horrible person.

SI

Old 12-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #343
Ksyrup

I thought that dark spot on his left arm was sweat until I realized it was a shadow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to update my FOFC weight loss dynasty thread post as repentance...
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #344
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Petersen has turned down UCLA - wonder who they focus on now?

And also - shouldn't Dan Guerrero be on a really hot seat himself?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #345
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sounds like Petersen has turned down UCLA - wonder who they focus on now?

And also - shouldn't Dan Guerrero be on a really hot seat himself?

Yep, it almost happened, but ucla wouldn't cough up enough money for his assistants.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #346
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep, it almost happened, but ucla wouldn't cough up enough money for his assistants.
If true, that's idiotic by Guerrero.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #347
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Where are you getting the assistants thing? Petersen may or may not be coming to UCLA, but it's not assistants money that will keep him away. It's not money anything. Money ain't the issue anymore.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #348
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and BTW, pretty much every UCLA fan wants to see Guerrero gone as much as they wanted CRN gone. None of us wanted him to conduct this coaching search.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #349
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

EF27, I think I know why that assistants thing came out like it did. Someone I read with historically good sources intimated that CP countered UCLA's offer with an offer that included more money for assistants and easing up on academic restrictions. Supposedly, UCLA balked at the latter, not the former, but I can see where that might have gotten misconstrued.

Definitely, if this thing doesn't happen, it will be a non-monetary issue.

Last I heard, Petersen to UCLA is not dead yet.