Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #301
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Stanzi walking very gingerly off the field with assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Down goes Iowa. Finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Iowa goes down to Northwestern, Stanzi being hurt destroyed the hawkeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
9-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Got something against Iowa jon? =)

Quote:
Not much more than being damned sick & tired of hearing about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm with Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Iowa lost!!!! They can still win the Big-10 right!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
Amen!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #302
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Notre Dame loses to Navy.

At least I had two sports happenings that made me happy this weekend. The rest of it kinda sucked.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-09-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #303
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC's MVP Damian Williams is out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #304
molson
General Manager

I love how Iowa is suddenly a hated team.

I think this proves the point that any team, and their fanbase, will be resented if they have success.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #305
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure the fanbase is resented, I'm pretty sure it's one obnoxious guy.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

I was at a party Saturday when I heard they lost, and people were asking me why I was so excited about it. I didn't have the guts to explain how stupid it was.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #307
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love how Iowa is suddenly a hated team.

I think this proves the point that any team, and their fanbase, will be resented if they have success.

Yep. I have NOTHING against Iowa, except for obnoxious ol' Tarcone. Otherwise, I would have really enjoyed seeing them win the Big Ten.

Unfortunately, Penn State went ahead and blew their chance to go to the Rose Bowl again.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #308
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I was at a party Saturday when I heard they lost, and people were asking me why I was so excited about it. I didn't have the guts to explain how stupid it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. I have NOTHING against Iowa, except for obnoxious ol' Tarcone. Otherwise, I would have really enjoyed seeing them win the Big Ten.

Unfortunately, Penn State went ahead and blew their chance to go to the Rose Bowl again.

Same here. If it wasn't for Tarcone, I probably would have rooted for Iowa once USC had their second loss.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #309
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Michigan fans: What are your thoughts on the season and going forward under RRod? I thought things looked pretty good early on, but they could very well finish ineligible for a bowl and tied for last in the Big Ten with only a squeaker win against Indiana. I thought they could get 7 or 8 wins this season and anything less than six would be a serious disappointment.

So where is the UM fanbase at now?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #310
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I didn't think Michigan would have near this hard a time with the Big Ten after that Notre Dame win. Now they need a win just to get bowl eligible, and even then will probably only hit 6-6.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #311
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Same here. If it wasn't for Tarcone, I probably would have rooted for Iowa once USC had their second loss.

+1 or +5 or +6 or wherever it stands. I actually kind of always liked Iowa and I think Ferentz is a pretty classy guy. I had nothing against them and would have been fine with them going undefeated it it wasn't for Tarcone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #312
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Michigan fans: What are your thoughts on the season and going forward under RRod? I thought things looked pretty good early on, but they could very well finish ineligible for a bowl and tied for last in the Big Ten with only a squeaker win against Indiana. I thought they could get 7 or 8 wins this season and anything less than six would be a serious disappointment.

Based on local sports talk radio after the game and Sunday morning, I'd say it's about 70/30 in favor of firing Rich Rod and trying to get Les Miles or that Kelly guy in Cinci.

Going into the season, I didn't have much in the way of expectations. I figured anywhere between 5-7 wins was likely looking at the schedule. The team was going to be very, very young and I had no idea how the freshmen QBs were played.

I am not thrilled with how they've played, but I am not overly upset. I new this would be a long process and could be quite painful. Here is what I said right around the time the whole Rich Rod story broke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think there will be significant growing pains both on the field and internally in the program.

While folks will likely scream and gnash their teeth a bit if Michigan struggles, he will be given time to form his team. I totally agree, however, that if by years 4 or 5, Michigan is 8-4 or 7-5, there will get ugly.

The majority of Michigan's fan base does have outrageous expectations for the team. 8-4 seasons are routinely considered disappointing, especially if Michigan loses to OSU.

To date, that's been spot on. There have been huge growing pains, on and off the field, and the majority of the fan base (not all) is not taking it well.

Expectations definitely were raised after the 4-0 start, but things have quickly come down to earth since, considering they really haven't won a game since (no reason to include the Delaware State game). The QB play has been sporadic, which isn't a surprise given the youth at that position. Since that offense depends heavily on the QB play, the offense, too, has been sporadic. It looks great sometimes and looks like crap other times. Turnovers have been a huge problem as well. I think a lot of that has to do with Forcier being young and trying to do too much. His "moxie" is one of his greatest assets, but is also definitely a flaw as well.

The sporadic nature of the offense and the whole high tempo aspect also puts a lot of pressure on the defense when the offense isn't doing well. Michigan's defense is horrible under the best circumstances and downright awful when forced to pay a lot of minutes. They lack skill, depth and whatever schemes they have drawn up aren't working. I think they have allowed 42 plays of 20 yards are more so far this season. When they mess up, they mess up big. They have walk-ons starting, fresh starting, it's a huge mess.

I am not sure if the future for their defense is any brighter. They have two legitimate defensive players: Donovan Warren and Brandon Graham. Graham is gone after this season and Warren may be too. I have no idea what is in the pipe line defensively in terms of Freshmen or recruits (I rely on DeTox to keep tabs on such things), but I haven't heard of anyone of note. Their offense can put points up on the board, but their defense can't stop anyone. At all. I have no idea how they plan on addressing the defense. Can Devin Gardner play cornerback?

Going back to my Nostradamus-like posts from back in the day:

Quote:
I also wonder about the defense. Rodriguez has pretty much admitted that he doesn't really coach the defense at all. His focus is on offense. I wonder if top defensive recruits will want to come to a school where they are ignored more or less by the head coach.

I am not a person calling for Rich Rod's head. It may not work out in the end, but I think he deserves at least one more year and I really think at two more years at the very least. Starting a revolving door of coaches is not a great idea. (Then again, between all of the stupid off-field stuff and the poor on field performance, I can see where people are upset.) If he doesn't show any progress in terms of his record within the Big Ten and doesn't make a bowl for a third consecutive season, I could imagine that the outcry will be too loud for him to remain, especially since Michigan is hiring a new AD very soon.

I do have some general overall concerns about Rich Rod's offense in the Big Ten. Are these 5'10", 180 lbs. players big and strong enough to survive in the Big Ten? The few times Michigan has played in bad weather they have turned the ball over at an alarming rate. Is this bad luck, bad coaching, lack of talent, or simply a matter of the difficulties this type of offense will always face when playing in sloppy weather?

I don't see anyway Michigan wins either of the next two game. Their defense will be incredibly out matched and their offense wont be good enough to overcome that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #313
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, HB. It's no secret I'm an OSU fan, but I think the conference is way better off with a strong UM fighting it out with OSU and PSU. I guess from the outside I just didn't realize UM was as bad as they have been the past two years. I didn't expect them to compete for a national title, but I didn't think I'd ever see two bowl ineligible years in a row.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #314
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You are downright ruthless when it comes to college football.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #315
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
+1 or +5 or +6 or wherever it stands. I actually kind of always liked Iowa and I think Ferentz is a pretty classy guy. I had nothing against them and would have been fine with them going undefeated it it wasn't for Tarcone.

Fortunately Tarcone's obnoxiousness doesn't speak for all of us. It was tough to see my team's miracle season turn on one horrible play.

That said, if anyone would have told me Iowa would be 9-1 heading to tOSU on November 14th with a shot at a Big 10 title, I would have taken that in a heartbeat. Going to Penn St, Wisconsin and MSU was never going to be easy and the Hawkeyes managed to win. It's going to be even tougher this Saturday. Vandenberg is no Matt Barkley. The one thing I can hope for is that the Buckeyes will be looking ahead to UM, but the chances of that are slim.

Even if Iowa ends up at 10-2 and goes to the Cap One Bowl (but Minnesota on the 21st is no gimme), that will still be a good season for a team I figured would be content with 8-4.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #316
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

+1
Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not thrilled with how they've played, but I am not overly upset. I new this would be a long process and could be quite painful.

Out of curiosity, is there any mention of the success that CPJ is having in Atlanta (with a non-traditional offense) among the rumblings about RR?
I know: different conferences, different situations, different expectations, etc, but I'm curious as to whether there's any "well that guy is doing it" talk.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #318
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is there any mention of the success that CPJ is having in Atlanta (with a non-traditional offense) among the rumblings about RR?
I know: different conferences, different situations, different expectations, etc, but I'm curious as to whether there's any "well that guy is doing it" talk.

I haven't heard anything about the success of CPJ and between walking the dog, yardwork and my daily commute I listen to more than my fair share of local sportstalk radio. Not surprisingly, most of the comparisons are between Dantonio at MSU, who came in, used John L. Smith's guys and was successful right away. That comparison isn't quite as apt, since the difference between John L. Smith's system and Dantonio's system isn't quite as severe as the pro-style vs. spread conversion Michigan is going through.

I agree that what CPJ did in Georgia Tech is probably a better comparison, but Georgia Tech is so far off most people's radar around here I don't think it ever comes to mind.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #319
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

In short, it's not a matter of if he's gone, it's when. As pointed out and it's part of my mantra when talking about Michigan's issues, even if the offense was credible, the defense is horrible and the excuse that he needs his type of players fails on the defensive side of the ball. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel in terms of turn around for the defense either. This says nothing of what has happened in the off season the past two years and the impending NCAA investigation.

And as somebody who has been watching Brian Kelly from his GVSU days, I get fairly pissed at the idea of how Michigan missed out on him and the idea that they very likely might miss out on him again and instead we got the RR debacle. Kelly has repeatedly talked to Michigan about a number of things while he was coaching at GVSU and CMU and yet, to my knowledge, he was never brought in to be interviewed as the head coach until after he went to Cinci. Michigan people were too busy getting excited over Les Miles(who I think is overrated) coming and when that failed they almost seemed to mail in the whole process. The fact that the ND fan base want Kelly really is going to be a kick in the pants if they get him.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #320
Galaril
Pro Starter

Not sure if anyone cares or already posted but it si been reproted on Bleacher reprots.com that a leak with ND's administration has said that after the loss to Navy for the second year in a row Weiss will be out after the last game and John Gruden and Brian Kelly (Cincy) top NDs coaches wishlist along with Stoops are being looked at.
hxxp://bleacherreport.com/articles/286923-the-unofficial-top-five-notre-dame-coaching-prospects
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #321
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
In short, it's not a matter of if he's gone, it's when. As pointed out and it's part of my mantra when talking about Michigan's issues, even if the offense was credible, the defense is horrible and the excuse that he needs his type of players fails on the defensive side of the ball. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel in terms of turn around for the defense either. This says nothing of what has happened in the off season the past two years and the impending NCAA investigation.

Here's an (insanely long and detailed) explanation for Michigan's defensive woes the last two years:

The Decimated Defense | mgoblog

The Decimated Defense, Part II: the Statisticating | mgoblog

Quote:
And as somebody who has been watching Brian Kelly from his GVSU days, I get fairly pissed at the idea of how Michigan missed out on him and the idea that they very likely might miss out on him again and instead we got the RR debacle. Kelly has repeatedly talked to Michigan about a number of things while he was coaching at GVSU and CMU and yet, to my knowledge, he was never brought in to be interviewed as the head coach until after he went to Cinci. Michigan people were too busy getting excited over Les Miles(who I think is overrated) coming and when that failed they almost seemed to mail in the whole process. The fact that the ND fan base want Kelly really is going to be a kick in the pants if they get him.

I wonder what's up with Brian Kelly. Neither MSU nor Michigan so much as gave this guy a sniff when they had vacancies. Did he burn bridges? Piss people off in-state? He certainly seems to have the coaching goods and has only been very successful wherever he's been.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #322
Kodos
Resident Alien

I sure hope Gruden doesn't go to ND. I like him.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #323
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I don't feel sorry for Michigan fans. They kind of got what they deserved. Lloyd Carr wasn't great, but he was rather competitive on a yearly basis. Even in his final year he was able to beat Tim Tebow in a bowl game. Seems that "grass is greener" approach to college football bites teams in the ass more often than not. I remember Nebraska not being happy with 9 win seasons and making a move. Now they barely make bowl games.

I'd personally rather have a team that wins 9-10 games every year than what Michigan has now. The problem Michigan has is that the recruiting class was built to run the spread. They'd have to bring in a coach who wants to run it or risk going through another atrocious season rebuilding. They also risk losing a decent recruiting class if the coach leaves.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #324
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I sure hope Gruden doesn't go to ND. I like him.

Me too. I am a ND fan from the 70s-80s but not this group so much and doubt Gruden would ever go to colleeg even ND. It sounds like there top pick is Brian Kelly.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #325
molson
General Manager

Is it too early to speculate about who replaces Kelly in 4 years?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #326
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #327
RainMaker
General Manager

I am hoping Cincinnati wins out because I think that would completely blow up the BCS. They wouldn't get in yet play in a tougher conference and have a harder schedule than Texas. Having 3 BCS schools go undefeated is a nightmare for the NCAA.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #328
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I dunno, Brian Kelly at Notre Dame scares me - they might actually turn into legit National Championship contenders.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #329
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't feel sorry for Michigan fans. They kind of got what they deserved. Lloyd Carr wasn't great, but he was rather competitive on a yearly basis. Even in his final year he was able to beat Tim Tebow in a bowl game. Seems that "grass is greener" approach to college football bites teams in the ass more often than not. I remember Nebraska not being happy with 9 win seasons and making a move. Now they barely make bowl games.

I disagree with this. I don't see how the Michigan fans are getting "what they deserve." I was always pretty ambivalent about Lloyd Carr. I liked him. I liked how he ran the program, even if he did seem a bit rude to sideline reporters from time to time. I was never one that thought he should be run out of town, but once he decided it was time to go (whether forced out or otherwise), I was excited at what the future could possibly hold for the program.

Michigan has been an incredibly successful and consistent program for the last 50 years (the last two years not counted). That has culiminated in all of 1 National Championship in 1997.

It's human nature to want more. It's even more consistent with the nature of sports fandom, which is even less rational than normal human behavior. Unless being consistent means "consistently winning championships" fans are going to want more. There's nothing wrong with that. I think a fanbase would be pretty lame if they just were happy with a team that always just went 7-5 or 8-4 records or even with a team that had a string of 10-2 records but never was able to make it to the championship game or, even when they made it to a "big game" tended to fold.

While I do think Michigan fans have never been entirely realistic about their football team, I don't think they "deserve" these crappy seasons for wanting to see their team be more successful.

Quote:
I'd personally rather have a team that wins 9-10 games every year than what Michigan has now.

Really? You'd rather have a team that wins 9-10 games every rather than a team that wins 3-5 games? Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic. THAT'S CRAZY TALK!!!!!

Quote:
The problem Michigan has is that the recruiting class was built to run the spread. They'd have to bring in a coach who wants to run it or risk going through another atrocious season rebuilding. They also risk losing a decent recruiting class if the coach leaves.

This is definitely true and why I don't think a coaching carousel will be the answer. It will be more than one atrocious season rebuilding.

Quote:
I am hoping Cincinnati wins out because I think that would completely blow up the BCS. They wouldn't get in yet play in a tougher conference and have a harder schedule than Texas. Having 3 BCS schools go undefeated is a nightmare for the NCAA.

I don't think it would. If there is an undefeated Florida/Alabama and an undefeated Texas, I think the BCS will feel very comfortable with that as its Title Game. Will it suck for Cincinnati? Most definitely, but I certainly don't think that scenario would be "a nightmare for the NCAA" or "blowup the BCS".

Personally, I'd love to see as many undefeated's as possible heading into bowl season.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #330
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I disagree with this. I don't see how the Michigan fans are getting "what they deserve." I was always pretty ambivalent about Lloyd Carr. I liked him. I liked how he ran the program, even if he did seem a bit rude to sideline reporters from time to time. I was never one that thought he should be run out of town, but once he decided it was time to go (whether forced out or otherwise), I was excited at what the future could possibly hold for the program.

Michigan has been an incredibly successful and consistent program for the last 50 years (the last two years not counted). That has culiminated in all of 1 National Championship in 1997.

It's human nature to want more. It's even more consistent with the nature of sports fandom, which is even less rational than normal human behavior. Unless being consistent means "consistently winning championships" fans are going to want more. There's nothing wrong with that. I think a fanbase would be pretty lame if they just were happy with a team that always just went 7-5 or 8-4 records or even with a team that had a string of 10-2 records but never was able to make it to the championship game or, even when they made it to a "big game" tended to fold.

While I do think Michigan fans have never been entirely realistic about their football team, I don't think they "deserve" these crappy seasons for wanting to see their team be more successful.
You may be the exception then. From what I gathered, people were after Lloyd Carr's head for awhile, especially after the App State loss (which was a tad overated). Michigan fans I knew wanted Carr fired and it seemed clear that his stepping down was semi-forced.

I don't blame you guys for wanting to win, but I do blame your fans for thinking that Michigan should be an 11-12 win team every season. With parity in college football and the shifting of emphasis to speed, it's just not realistic to expect a Big 10 school to be in the NC game every year. You had a good thing going by winning 9+ games a year and getting into a solid bowl and the occasional Rose Bowl.

Quote:
I don't think it would. If there is an undefeated Florida/Alabama and an undefeated Texas, I think the BCS will feel very comfortable with that as its Title Game. Will it suck for Cincinnati? Most definitely, but I certainly don't think that scenario would be "a nightmare for the NCAA" or "blowup the BCS".

Personally, I'd love to see as many undefeated's as possible heading into bowl season.
How can it not be? Cincinnati goes undefeated with a tougher schedule in a tougher conference. What possible explanation can be given for Texas being in it over them? It makes the entire system an even bigger farce than it already is. It just proves that what happens on the field doesn't matter.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #331
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I dunno, Brian Kelly at Notre Dame scares me - they might actually turn into legit National Championship contenders.

Maybe, but I think we're getting close to the point where maybe the issues are with the program, not with the revolving door of coaches. Maybe after the next one "fails", expectations will get a little more realistic. Probably not though.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #332
molson
General Manager

I think Cincinnati has a decent chance of passing an undefeated Texas. They're already ahead in the computer polls, and that margin is just going to get bigger in the last 3 weeks, where Cincinnati gets to play two ranked teams. Voters will be reluctant to swap the teams, but enough might.

The most amusing scenerio to me would be if Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Cincinnati all lose, and TCU and Boise St. win out.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #333
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I wonder what's up with Brian Kelly. Neither MSU nor Michigan so much as gave this guy a sniff when they had vacancies. Did he burn bridges? Piss people off in-state? He certainly seems to have the coaching goods and has only been very successful wherever he's been.

My understanding is that he has some baggage from his CMU days (no idea what, I've just seen it mentioned multiple times) and as someone who follows the big east closely I'll say that he has a personality very similar to RR.

Great coach, I just wonder how he'll handle coaching at a school where the program is bigger than him and always will be.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #334
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
How can it not be? Cincinnati goes undefeated with a tougher schedule in a tougher conference. What possible explanation can be given for Texas being in it over them? It makes the entire system an even bigger farce than it already is. It just proves that what happens on the field doesn't matter.

The system is about money, just like the NCAA tourney. A Texas vs Alabama/Florida national championship game would be huge as far as ratings and money goes. Regardless of what any other team's record is the game would be a success for the BCS.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #335
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why is everyone assuming Weis will get fired? After all, doesn't he just need "one more year"?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What possible explanation can be given for Texas being in it over them?

That more people give a flying rat's ass about Texas and that a lot of them are pretty sure that Cincinnati has no business being on the same field with them regardless of their record, their coach, nor how many QB's they have.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #337
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
What possible explanation can be given for Texas being in it over them?

Texas was #2 in the preseason polls. Cincinnati was somewhere around #30 depending on which poll you look at. That's impossible to overcome should both teams finish undefeated. It shouldn't' be that way, but its the way its always been, and its a lot less sinister than many other answers you'd get I bet.

Last edited by Radii : 11-09-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #338
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My understanding is that he has some baggage from his CMU days (no idea what, I've just seen it mentioned multiple times) and as someone who follows the big east closely I'll say that he has a personality very similar to RR.

Great coach, I just wonder how he'll handle coaching at a school where the program is bigger than him and always will be.

My friend gets field passes to a few games per year to take photographs and he said that Kelly used a record amount of "motherfuckers" on Tony Pike throughout the course of the game last season. I'm not sure if that would fly at Notre Dame, but Kelly sure seems to get the most out of his players.

I still think it is funny that Michigan State missed out on Kelly while he was right under their nose and hired Dantonio, who is obviously nowhere near the coach that Kelly seems to be.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #339
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Why is everyone assuming Weis will get fired? After all, doesn't he just need "one more year"?

I know this post sounds tongue in cheek, but I am actually pretty surprised that any ND fans would want Weis back after this season. If Clausen leaves this year, it is hard to imagine Notre Dame not being terrible next season. If I am not mistaken, they don't have another scholarship QB coming back next season and there has been seemingly no defensive improvement, so there is a rebuilding project in place, either for Weis or whoever replaces him.

I wonder if, as an alum, Weis would go quietly or if it would be a messy divorce.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #340
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
That more people give a flying rat's ass about Texas and that a lot of them are pretty sure that Cincinnati has no business being on the same field with them regardless of their record, their coach, nor how many QB's they have.

It kind of goes back to the old argument over whether you favor the best/most talented team or the most successful team. If both Cincy and Texas end up undefeated, I think you can make the argument that Cincy has had the more successful season based on a tougher overall schedule, but if you give Texas that same schedule, I would project Texas to almost certainly go undefeated, as well. And, Texas obviously has had much hire ranked recruiting classes and will probably have more NFL players, so they can make the claim that they are the more talented team and would provide a better opportunity to beat Florida/Alabama.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #341
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
A lot more people would like to see Florida/USC or Florida/Notre Dame in the Championship game. Why not just do that then instead? If the regular season doesn't matter, wouldn't it just be best to have the most popular teams play?

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-09-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #342
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Texas was #2 in the preseason polls. Cincinnati was somewhere around #30 depending on which poll you look at. That's impossible to overcome should both teams finish undefeated. It shouldn't' be that way, but its the way its always been, and its a lot less sinister than many other answers you'd get I bet.
Then why not just set the championship game with the top 2 teams in the Preseason polls? That is what matters, right? Not what you accomplished on the field.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #343
tarcone
Coordinator

I didnt read all the responses. But I saw a handful up top. All I can say is this:

We are still playing for the Big Ten Title and a trip to the Rose Bowl. HUGE game Saturday.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #344
tarcone
Coordinator

GO HAWKS
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #345
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I mentioned earlier but I think a better solution is to leave it to a couple promoters. I'm being all serious. A Vince McMahon type who comes out on selection day. He picks all the bowl games by making the most intriguing matchups. Florida vs USC for the title. Texas vs TCU for the pride of Texas. Michigan vs West Virginia for Rich Rodriguez revenge. All the dream matchups you could want. Would get much better ratings and draw much more interest than just some random teams playing one another based on how they finished.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #346
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A lot more people would like to see Florida/USC or Florida/Notre Dame in the Championship game. Why not just do that then instead? If the regular season doesn't matter, wouldn't it just be best to have the most popular teams play?

See, this is right about the point where the playoff (or anti-BCS) crowd loses what little credibility they might have. The whole gross exaggeration tactic is even more simple minded than whatever unrealistic scheme they like to push.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #347
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
See, this is right about the point where the playoff (or anti-BCS) crowd loses what little credibility they might have. The whole gross exaggeration tactic is even more simple minded than whatever unrealistic scheme they like to push.
You just said that Texas deserves to make it because they'd have better ratings than Cincinnati. I'm saying that you can take a good USC team or something close to that and get better ratings. Notre Dame might be a stretch, but I bet the ratings would be huge.

It's either about ratings and interest or not. Make up your mind.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #348
bhlloy
Coordinator

Let's not pretend like Cincy has some uber OOC schedule or something. At Oregon State is a difficult game but that's the only real toughie out there. SE Missouri State, Fresno State and Miami (OH) is hardly the way to ensure you are selected for the BCS over a team in a power conference.

If they lose at Pittsburgh there is a pretty good chance then they only beat 1 top 25 team (and that's depending on how USF finishes the season). Texas has wins vs Oklahoma and a very impressive win on the road at Oklahoma State. I want to see the BCS busted as bad as anybody but I'm not sure Cincy is the best example. If they look impressive in beating Pittsburgh then they deserve to go ahead of Texas but I'm not sure they are there yet.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #349
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Let's not pretend like Cincy has some uber OOC schedule or something. At Oregon State is a difficult game but that's the only real toughie out there. SE Missouri State, Fresno State and Miami (OH) is hardly the way to ensure you are selected for the BCS over a team in a power conference.

If they lose at Pittsburgh there is a pretty good chance then they only beat 1 top 25 team (and that's depending on how USF finishes the season). Texas has wins vs Oklahoma and a very impressive win on the road at Oklahoma State. I want to see the BCS busted as bad as anybody but I'm not sure Cincy is the best example. If they look impressive in beating Pittsburgh then they deserve to go ahead of Texas but I'm not sure they are there yet.
The Big East has 4 ranked teams (half the teams), the Big 12 has 2. If Cincy wins out and the rankings stay somewhat the same, they will finish with 4 ranked wins (3 on the road) to Texas' 1. The Big East is a better conference than the Big 12.

OOC schedule wise, Cincy has two wins over teams that are better than anyone Texas had on their OOC schedule (Fresno State and Oregon State).

This is assuming Cincy wins out (two games against ranked teams left). But if they do, their schedule is vastly superior to Texas which will end up with 1 quality win all season.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #350
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I mentioned earlier but I think a better solution is to leave it to a couple promoters. I'm being all serious. A Vince McMahon type who comes out on selection day. He picks all the bowl games by making the most intriguing matchups. Florida vs USC for the title. Texas vs TCU for the pride of Texas. Michigan vs West Virginia for Rich Rodriguez revenge. All the dream matchups you could want. Would get much better ratings and draw much more interest than just some random teams playing one another based on how they finished.

Taking things to the extreme doesn't make your point any more valid. At the same we could easily just pick a random mid-major to put in the final four each year so the "prove it on the court" people can get off the hundreds of stories written about the scrappy underdog that no one had heard of taking on the nasty giants from the BCS conferences.

Of course, there's more stories written about those teams in the days leading up the games than people that actually watch them play.