Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #301
gi
College Prospect

I started out as aggressive and found it pretty easy to get through all the stages up to Space. I restarted, trying to be middle of the road and found it a lot more challenging. Hoping to fire up the Spare stage tonight as a Trader. The peaceful route seems to offer a little more challenge. I'll probably replay all the beginning stages once more at the hardest difficulty and never play them again.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #302
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I hit the space stage now (breezed through the civ stage in no time). I really hope they start pumping out expansions for this so there is more to do during the pre-space stages.

I can't imagine what took them so long putting this together since the complexity is almost non-existent.

There should be little mutagens in the later stages where you can slip back into the creature creator and add some things. The best part of the game by far (to me) is the creature designing.

I'm hoping Spore 2 takes this foundation and goes deeper, while still allowing this fast progress if wanted. If they just add more to do each stage, this would be a much better game. I like how you can hold off on the next stage.

FWIW, my 8 year-old loved the cell stage and has just crawled out of the water and she is loving topping each hill and her eyes pop open every time she discovers a new species. Fun to watch.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #303
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
I started out as aggressive and found it pretty easy to get through all the stages up to Space. I restarted, trying to be middle of the road and found it a lot more challenging. Hoping to fire up the Spare stage tonight as a Trader. The peaceful route seems to offer a little more challenge. I'll probably replay all the beginning stages once more at the hardest difficulty and never play them again.

I've now seen the cell stage twice through and both times were identical in regards to the creature. The body was the same and I think that's a mistake. Did I just get unlucky? I would gladly play through the beginning stages if I knew the initial seed would lead to drastically different outcomes. But not so much.

Any chance a patch will add a bunch a things?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #304
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post

Any chance a patch will? Probably not.

Any chance the 20 already planned expansion packs (costing $30 each) will? Yes
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #305
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I've now seen the cell stage twice through and both times were identical in regards to the creature. The body was the same and I think that's a mistake. Did I just get unlucky? I would gladly play through the beginning stages if I knew the initial seed would lead to drastically different outcomes. But not so much.

Yeah, I think all their single cell start points are the same. It was a little more challenging being an omnivore.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #306
Anthony
Banned

funny thing with expansion packs - you need to have a really fun game initially to start from that people would want to expand on. you can't just start with peanut butter and jelly and expect people to want to stick around till you expand it into filet mignon and lobster tails.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #307
Critch
lolzcat

Here are the three problems I have been having with Spore:

1. Every time I start it prompts me to download the Flash add-in twice, even though it's already been installed,

2. I can't register the game, I get the message that the game cannot be registered with key used to install.

3. The game itself is shallow, overly easy at normal setting, and a bit dull. As has been mentioned before, the first 4 stages feel like a long tutorial and have little replayability.

I'm sure I can find solutions for the first two, but 3 does seem to be that a shallow game has been released in order to pull people in for the expansions that will flesh it out.

Last edited by Critch : 09-10-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #308
sabotai
General Manager

Got the game today. Started up a few different types of organisms. I played it pretty much all day and had a lot of fun and got up to the Space stage.

Doubt I'll feel the urge to play again for awhile.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #309
JeeberD
General Manager

I bought the game today and can't even get the fucker installed. It keeps stalling out when trying to install the audio files. Seems to be an issue with more folks than just me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #310
Tasan
College Starter

I had this in my hands today at Target, then put it back on the shelf after thinking of this thread. I think this will be a sub $30 purchase for me after the price starts falling, if then.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #311
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This game is great fun with kids. After they went to bed, I played for a while alone, and it began to get repetative on the creature phase. The novelty will wear off, but it's going to be a great activity to do with the kids.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #312
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Space is fun...for a short while.

Then the neverending streak of 'aliens are attacking planet X' while you're in the middle of something, or 'save planet Y from eco disaster!' just gets very, very old. I wanted more of a sandbox to play in, but instead I find myself constantly distracted by annoying little things that demand my attention.

My people need to build another bloody few ships to protect my piddly little colonies or something. Lord.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #313
chesapeake
College Starter

Don't you hate that feeling when you were looking forward to new game for months and then find out that it is a dog?

*sigh*
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #314
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Don't you hate that feeling when you were looking forward to new game for years and then find out that it is a dog?

*sigh*

better

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-11-2008 at 09:40 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #315
Anthony
Banned

yeesh, how bad was this game before they decided they needed to delay its release? i shudder to think of how boring it was before they delayed putting it on shelves.

Maxis employee: "ummm, Mr Wright, there really isn't much to do in this game. We can't honestly expect people to buy such a bare bones games and think they'll want to spend more money on expansions."

Will Wright: "you're right, waiting even longer to release this will allow us to build up even more hype."
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #316
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Buddies (please make a note if you have inappropriate content)

Bonegavel - unclematch
Sachmo71 - mrsachmo
RendeR - RendeR
Mustang - kerg01
Bearcat729 - bearcat
JeeberD - JeeberD
spleen1015 - mayser
CoffeeWarlord - coffeew
Thomkal - Thomkal
Yellow5 - Yellow5
Gstelmack - gstelmack
Galaril - galaril
Macroguru - Macroguru
CleBrownsfan - Broth32

Last edited by sachmo71 : 09-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #317
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Don't you hate that feeling when you were looking forward to new game for months and then find out that it is a dog?

*sigh*

This game had Black and White-sized disappointment written all over it. I scratch my head over people that are willing to preorder computer games based on hype. I will check it out at some point, when a bargain loss leader shows up in the ads.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #318
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
This game had Black and White-sized disappointment written all over it. I scratch my head over people that are willing to preorder computer games based on hype. I will check it out at some point, when a bargain loss leader shows up in the ads.

Good luck with that as its probably not going to happen. The game is great, yes there are some slow points, but there are in any video game. it has very addicting areas as well and there are enough differences in levels and styles of play to make the replay value just fine.

I got mine yesterday (preorders got shipped on monday, fucking losers, we should have had them the friday before release.) And I've already played one game through to the space stage and am taking my time really digging into that, as the universe is a big place.

The first game I started I had a bitch of a time in the tribal level and its proving to be quite entertaining to figure out the best way to finish that one off.

Overall its a good game. I'm not placing it up near starcraft levels (the ultimate game in my own experience) but its solid, entertaining and mildly addictive in many areas.

One point I'm interested in checking out is the ability to start in any section of the game. I noticed when I started my 2nd game that I could have started anywhere up to civilisation level instead of at the beginning.

For those that wondered about always starting as the same shape/form o critter, you can change that in the editor, call your mate, then in the editor click on the "spine" of your single celled organizm and shrink or stretch the individual pieces untit its the size and shape you want. Not sure of anyone else has posted that.

Anyway, back to "squishy" and my space faring empire!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #319
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Buddies (please post if you have inappropriate content)

Bonegavel - unclematch
Sachmo71 - mrsachmo

RendeR == RendeR

I'll add you guys too!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #320
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
This game is great fun with kids. After they went to bed, I played for a while alone, and it began to get repetative on the creature phase. The novelty will wear off, but it's going to be a great activity to do with the kids.

Yeah, I ordered a copy for my 5 year old daughter and I to play together through the cold winter here in Colorado. I figure if nothing else it will be fun to play for her and me or her mom to play together with. And who knows maybe some of the expansions over the next few years will expand the game more. I will add you guys as buddies and you can do the same once we get the game since like you need to have kid safe content no vagina monsters needed
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #321
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

I don't think this is the epic scale disappointment that B&W was (maybe that release has really numbed me to all games), but this sure has more potential than B&W.

As was mentioned, I think this sort of game needs to be encouraged with my dollars but they really have to not dumb it down so that an amoeba can play it.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #322
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
RendeR == RendeR

I'll add you guys too!

I added sachmo, but I can't find you RendeR.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #323
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I got this game for my wife and kids to play some. I've played it a bit and it seems fun. My biggest problem is that evidentally now I can't play fast moving games like i used to when I was younger. I remember I used to be able to play Dune2, Warcraft, etc type games.. Now when I play this I literally can only play 10 minutes or so before I need a break.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #324
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I got this game for my wife and kids to play some. I've played it a bit and it seems fun. My biggest problem is that evidentally now I can't play fast moving games like i used to when I was younger. I remember I used to be able to play Dune2, Warcraft, etc type games.. Now when I play this I literally can only play 10 minutes or so before I need a break.

lol, as I've gotten into my mid-30's I've found that I can really only play turn based games or those RTS's that move real slow. Getting old sucks Though I'd love to try Dune 2 again.....
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #325
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol, as I've gotten into my mid-30's I've found that I can really only play turn based games or those RTS's that move real slow. Getting old sucks Though I'd love to try Dune 2 again.....

That is really what I spend most of my time playing these days. Eu3, Civ4 and then various sport sims for my sim leagues I am in. I play a game like Spore and told my wife, "There seems to be too much mouse clicking for me.." Only later I realized I used to do that much ore more in any of the Empire Earth, Age of Empires, etc type of games.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #326
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
That is really what I spend most of my time playing these days. Eu3, Civ4 and then various sport sims for my sim leagues I am in. I play a game like Spore and told my wife, "There seems to be too much mouse clicking for me.." Only later I realized I used to do that much ore more in any of the Empire Earth, Age of Empires, etc type of games.

You speak the truth
Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #327
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Have you found any that have come out that fit this "play slow"? I too prefer RTS that I can turtle in but haven't found any like some of the older ones -Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology etc.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #328
gi
College Prospect

Sins of a Solar Empire and Company of Heroes moved slow most of the time for me. Sometimes I found myself 'cracking' the wrist or taking a break after extended play. I've come to the realization that I just shouldn't purchase these games anymore. There seems to be a lot of mouse clicks in the Space stage. I could only play for an hour or so before stopping. I'm paying the price since, in my youth, I'd play for 8 hours or more of Dune II, C&C, Starcraft, etc.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #329
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
RendeR == RendeR

I'll add you guys too!

added. thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #330
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

kerg01 if you guys want to add me.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #331
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Bearcat if you want to add me
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #332
JeeberD
General Manager

Got the game up and running, finally.

JeeberD is my name on there as well, of course.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #333
Bonegavel

List thus far

Bearcat
JeeberD
RendeR
Kerg01
mrsachmo
UncleMatch

Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #334
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am mayser
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #335
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

CoffeeW
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #336
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I’m not sure if this has been posted already.

Anti Spore

The religious anti-Spore Blogg that turned out to be a joke.

Quote:
But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.
“21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up. 22. “Never gonna let you down.” 23.”Never gonna run around and desert you.” 24. “Never gonna make you cry.” 25. “Never gonna say goodbye.” 26. “Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.” 27.”Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe’s Law.”

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 09-12-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #337
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

My spores:

Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #338
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cool! Here's mine...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #339
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the hell. Do you have creatures or houses and cars?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #340
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What the hell. Do you have creatures or houses and cars?

Once you get to the Civilization Stage, you create buildings and vehicles.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #341
Bonegavel

Quote:
List thus far

Bearcat
JeeberD
RendeR
Kerg01
mrsachmo
UncleMatch

Add

Mayser

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #342
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, started a game today on the hard level, tried to be an omnivore, took for fucking ever to get through the single cell stage, I mean I was being attacked constantly, its eat and run man, I was getting rive by spoonings from creatures that popped out of nowhere just as I swim by. it was sick.

Finally I managed (after 12 billion deaths) to get to critter stage and now I can't manage to migrate!! There are a dozen un-impressible carnavors betwen me and the new nest!! GAHHH!

Anyway, loving this game =)
Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #343
RendeR
Coordinator

anyone else having an impossible time logging in right now?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #344
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

interesting...went to remove my spore cd (game no longer running) and got a BSOD. Yikes.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #345
RendeR
Coordinator

I just realized I don't need the cd to play, hallelujah.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #346
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've joined as Thomkal. Just got my first creature out of the soup so haven't done much with the game yet.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #347
RendeR
Coordinator

I just spent the first 3 hours of my work shift creating a herbivore that was really kicking ass on the normal level. Got out of the soup, and was impressing every damned creature I met, seriously like every one, took some doing but it was going great.....

Then the game crashed.

And I hadn't SAVED IT.....*CRIES*
Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #348
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Your creature should be saved... just not the progress.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #349
Yellow5
High School Varsity

BUddy name is.. Yellow5. Love some of the work you guys have done, makes my stuff look like a little kid made them.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #350
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

My conclusion fits with what others have said...if you like the Sims, you will probably enjoy this game. The focus of the game is creating things, with the gameplay seeming almost unfinished.

I enjoyed the cellular stage a lot, but would have liked a bit more variety. I'm also not sure why these cell creatures don't get uploaded to the server. I enjoy playing against the non-maxis creations, but i don't see that as an option during this stage.

Creature stage took me the longest time until I got it down. It's becomes a bit tedious after a while, and I was ready to move on quickly. I think more quests in this stage would help break the monotony.

Tribe stage was fun for me, but it was here that I realized how bad the manual sucked. I'm glad they have everything online and can update documentation quickly, but I like to read and play at the same time, and you can't do that with the in-game guide up. It wasn't very challenging playing on easy, though, and I did like the length. I was disappointed at the options avaliable on this level, but since it's so short, I guess they aren't needed. After creature stage, this stage would be the next for Maxis to look at, IMO.

I enjoyed the civilization stage a lot. I enjoyed the options open to the play styles, although economic seemed like the easiest path to victory. THe problem i ran into was the customization slowed the flow down a bit. I found myself using some of the default buildings just so I could get things moving. I might mess around with it a bit more in future games, but I was itching to make it into space! I also lost track of my units a bit, but I'm not very good at RTS. Maybe there is a pause feature I'm overlooking here? Also, I didn't see anything about the religious aspect, so I'm not sure how to access that part of the stage.

And finally; space. I've only scratched the surface with this stage, but I really enjoy it. I think it might take a while to get tired of this stage, as I'm one of those who enjoyed flying and exploring outside of the mission path, just looking around. I like the fact that you are free to do whatever you want, but the tool unlocking will always be there to get you back on track. It got me with the "one more turn" hook last night, and I'm itching to get back home and play some more. Terraforming is a great feature, as well as the custom sculpting objets. I am enjoying the freedom of this stage, as well as the vastness. When I realized you could go anywhere you wished, my excitement level for the game went up dramatically.

The game itself doesn't seem like it will be much of a challenge, but I'm really ok with that. I'm really having fun playing this with the kids, teaching them a bit about science and having a blast watching their creativity flow. However, I'm also having fun playing by myself, checking out the scenery and messing around. I really like seeing the buddy content show up in the game; i think it will really help the community solidify, and is a great system for getting content out. I have to wonder if the new Sims will have a similar feature, although that might affect sales of the massive expansions.

I feel like I've gotten my money's worth with this game, but I can see how it would be a disappointment to some. It really feels unfinished in the creature stage, and that's the first real stage that you hit. It's nice that the stages seem to pick up as the game goes on, but if you lose your audience early on, who is going to be there to see it?