Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #301
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

now digging through my old games to see if there's anything i want to trade in grrr
Old 03-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #302
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, I couldn't find any games I wanted to trade in, but the video store down the street had the game for rent. So I have a copy here right now, and hopefully, I'll have a rental copy on the way from Gamefly in a couple of days. I'll try the game out later tonight, and I'll probably spend every night this week playing. Terrific!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #303
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Well, I couldn't find any games I wanted to trade in, but the video store down the street had the game for rent. So I have a copy here right now, and hopefully, I'll have a rental copy on the way from Gamefly in a couple of days. I'll try the game out later tonight, and I'll probably spend every night this week playing. Terrific!

Your really going to enjoy it a lot.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #304
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What sliders/settings or whatever are you guys using in career mode? I haven't started the game up yet, but I want to be able to just jump right in and get going. Also, the rental copy didn't come with an instruction manual, so I might have an adventure just trying to learn the controls.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #305
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
What sliders/settings or whatever are you guys using in career mode? I haven't started the game up yet, but I want to be able to just jump right in and get going. Also, the rental copy didn't come with an instruction manual, so I might have an adventure just trying to learn the controls.

There a .pdf manual on the their website.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Conten...US-97500/Site/
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #306
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
There a .pdf manual on the their website.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Conten...US-97500/Site/
Thanks. The manual reminds me of how much I hate the PS2 controller (which is why I don't play with the PS2 at all). The manual is helpful to help me learn how to play the game, though.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #307
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm now playing a career on All Star defaults.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #308
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

First two batters of my career hit home runs. I did manage to do well enough for the Cardinals to offer me a AA contract for 1 year. I'm the #5 SP. I can throw a 98 MPH FB, but that's about it. I was crusing along in my first game in AA, when all of a sudden we are down 4-1. We won though and are now 5-0 to start the season.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 AM   #309
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

I play as pitcher on veteran level with the following slider changes:

Errors: +1 for both human and CPU. (To see some fielding errors from time to time)
Hitting Power: +1 for CPU (They barely score HR's on me)

The rest on default.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #310
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ugh. My poor light-hitting catcher has started 0-for-7 in spring training. I've made some contact with the ball, but I just haven't managed to get on base yet. I have a feeling that the Cardinals won't be interested in keeping me, even in AA. Still, the game seems awesome, and I plan to get a whole lot more than 7 AB in tonight when I play. I jumped right into career mode, but I really do need to at least play some exhibition games so I can hear all the commentary and see the presentation of the game. I watched a few seconds in demo mode, and everything seemed splendid.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #311
JS19
College Prospect

Hey guys. Ok, heres the deal. I know this thread is 7 pages long so my answer is probably already in here, but....what seems to be the most enjoyable way to play this game. I was involved in a serious automobile accident last friday, i escaped with a split head and a fractured C2, but since i am apparently the luckiest person in the world, all i have to do is wear this Halo apparatus for 3 months, so that means lots of video games. My friend just dropped this one off and there seem to be so many options.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #312
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Hey guys. Ok, heres the deal. I know this thread is 7 pages long so my answer is probably already in here, but....what seems to be the most enjoyable way to play this game. I was involved in a serious automobile accident last friday, i escaped with a split head and a fractured C2, but since i am apparently the luckiest person in the world, all i have to do is wear this Halo apparatus for 3 months, so that means lots of video games. My friend just dropped this one off and there seem to be so many options.

First of all, glad you're ok.

I really like the "career" mode. As a pitcher I only play when it's my turn to pitch and with the fielding on auto, I rely on my defense to get me out of jams. I haven't touched my franchise since I started playing career mode.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #313
JS19
College Prospect

Thank you, much appreciated....

I suppose I will give that a try. I wish there was a way to integrate the franchise mode and the career. I like the whole idea of what you said, becoming a SP and working your way up, but I am also intrigued by the franchise mode in the ideas of having to set all the budgets, marketing, scouting and so on.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #314
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you, much appreciated....

I suppose I will give that a try. I wish there was a way to integrate the franchise mode and the career. I like the whole idea of what you said, becoming a SP and working your way up, but I am also intrigued by the franchise mode in the ideas of having to set all the budgets, marketing, scouting and so on.

Try a little of each one and see which one you like best.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM   #315
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Also Manager Mode is fun too.

You can watch your game being played out. But you can make manager decisions. There is a lot of manager decisions you can make for your team like Hit and run, steal, intentional walks, pitch outside, pitch around, pinch hit, bunt, etc.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #316
jbmagic
Pro Starter

also in Manager mode you can still do franchise mode in the ideas of having to set all the budgets, marketing, scouting and so on.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 PM   #317
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just a note here: Just now reading this thread for the first time. This thread makes me wish I found MLB even remotely interesting (I don't). However, you have succeeded in making me want to go to the living room and play MVP 2006 (college) instead of watching the basketball games.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #318
JS19
College Prospect

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys. Like I said before, I pretty much have nothing but time so i'm sure i'll find the mode that suits me.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #319
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can you play manager mode in an exhibition game? I wanted to see the presentation of the game, and I figured that manager mode would be a good way to do it, but I was forced to control everything in exhibition. Do I really need to start a franchise or something in order to do manager mode? I think I'm just gonna stick with career mode for now. Still in spring training and hitting about .150.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #320
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can you play manager mode in an exhibition game? I wanted to see the presentation of the game, and I figured that manager mode would be a good way to do it, but I was forced to control everything in exhibition. Do I really need to start a franchise or something in order to do manager mode? I think I'm just gonna stick with career mode for now. Still in spring training and hitting about .150.

yes
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #321
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
How do I play manager mode in an exhibition game?

sorry.

I meant Manager mode only in franshise mode
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #322
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
yes
How do I play manager mode in an exhibition game?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #323
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Just a note here: Just now reading this thread for the first time. This thread makes me wish I found MLB even remotely interesting (I don't). However, you have succeeded in making me want to go to the living room and play MVP 2006 (college) instead of watching the basketball games.

Man I bet you hate yourself right about now....
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #324
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The PSP and how you can turn it off/on and immediately come right back to the spot you were is allowing me to get in at least a game a day more than I otherwise would be doing.

I'm not pre-playing the Orioles and we're 2-3 heading into the last of a 3-game set against Boston. Kris Benson pitched 7 innings of shutout ball in his first outing, but has already been roughed up for 5 runs against the Bosox. On veteran level, Tejada is ripping it up, but there are numberous other guys who aren't hitting very well. I'm batting about .280-.290 - still a little high, but not like .320 on the PS2. The fact that I can get absolutely shelled one game, 11-0 and then come back and win the next 5-3 is making this very fun for me. I'd like the up and down swings and the feeling that I need to bear down against a particular hitter or pitcher.

Loads of fun and the PSP has been a blast so far (with no eye strain).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #325
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
The PSP and how you can turn it off/on and immediately come right back to the spot you were is allowing me to get in at least a game a day more than I otherwise would be doing.

I'm not pre-playing the Orioles and we're 2-3 heading into the last of a 3-game set against Boston. Kris Benson pitched 7 innings of shutout ball in his first outing, but has already been roughed up for 5 runs against the Bosox. On veteran level, Tejada is ripping it up, but there are numberous other guys who aren't hitting very well. I'm batting about .280-.290 - still a little high, but not like .320 on the PS2. The fact that I can get absolutely shelled one game, 11-0 and then come back and win the next 5-3 is making this very fun for me. I'd like the up and down swings and the feeling that I need to bear down against a particular hitter or pitcher.

Loads of fun and the PSP has been a blast so far (with no eye strain).

It should be, MLB The Show, now with less eye strain!!

Wipeout didn't cause eyestrain for me, but last year's MLB did when I had my psp. I would like to see this game on the psp though.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #326
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Ok i was going to try out the career mode and create a starting pitcher.

And i choose to sim ahead until I start.

It got to the third game of spring training for me to start. But i notice you have to bat and pitch with other pitchers that come in the game too.

Anyway to just have me pitch with my create player only and the cpu controls the hitters and pitching of the other players?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #327
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok i was going to try out the career mode and create a starting pitcher.

And i choose to sim ahead until I start.

It got to the third game of spring training for me to start. But i notice you have to bat and pitch with other pitchers that come in the game too.

Anyway to just have me pitch with my create player only and the cpu controls the hitters and pitching of the other players?

Yes there is, just hit pause and then select fast foward to next appearance. Put all the options on automatic as well. All you will do is pitch and hit.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #328
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yes there is, just hit pause and then select fast foward to next appearance. Put all the options on automatic as well. All you will do is pitch and hit.

Thanks

It will be nice if they had view game until your created batter or pitcher comes up.

This way you can view the game until its your turn to take over to hit or pitch depending on the create player you made.

But its still fun. I love this game.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #329
jbmagic
Pro Starter

IS there a bug on Earn run average?

I started a career as a closer. In the 9th inning i give up two hits and 1 run, but ERA shows 0.00 for the game. I get the save and win 7-6

There was no errors.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #330
Logan
Head Coach

Were they inherited runners?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #331
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Were they inherited runners?

nope.

No one was on base when I took the mound.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I am a sad man. Used some tax return money and bought another psp (for my daughter of course) and MLB today. Also picked up the Namco hits so she can play pac-man and dig-dug.

So what if I won't let her play it yet. I'm giving this thing one more try on the eyes as I really want something to take on vacation in June.

I'm pathetic.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #333
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am a sad man. Used some tax return money and bought another psp (for my daughter of course) and MLB today. Also picked up the Namco hits so she can play pac-man and dig-dug.

So what if I won't let her play it yet. I'm giving this thing one more try on the eyes as I really want something to take on vacation in June.

I'm pathetic.

Should of use that for your new HDTV.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #334
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I still want to find manager mode. I don't know where that option is.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #335
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Should of use that for your new HDTV.

Once again that's on the back burner as my wife's van is having issues. *sigh*
Old 03-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #336
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I still want to find manager mode. I don't know where that option is.

Its in franshise mode only.

Goto schedule, pick game, and choose play game.

Then It will give you an option what to do. Choose Manage game.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #337
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Pumpy Tudors

Also when you in manager mode and in the game click on start button and choose options. Goto Gameplay and turn on fast options

Makes the game go quickly without all those highlights etc.

In options goto presentation and choose the manager mode view you want too.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #338
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Pumpy Tudors

Also when you in manager mode and in the game click on start button and choose options. Goto Gameplay and turn on fast options

Makes the game go quickly without all those highlights etc.

In options goto presentation and choose the manager mode view you want too.
Ah, I see. I missed your second reply to me in which you pretty much answered my question before. Sorry about that. OK, that gives me a reason to try franchise mode. My rental copy has to go back to the video store on Monday, but I'm getting a copy through GameFly any day now, so I'll be able to get franchise mode going.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #339
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

suh-weet! we should play online sometime!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #340
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
suh-weet! we should play online sometime!

Yeah, it's about time I get a wireless router.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #341
Philliesfan980
Banned

Got this game last weekend when I bought a PS2 for it, boy am I glad I did!

I started out by playing the career mode, with myself a starting pitcher. While I can certainly see the qualities about the indepth nature of this mode, I found it to be a little dull for my tastes. I like to controll the other players as well, and I missed hitting.

I'm going to start a franchise sometime today or tomorrow, but I find myself stuck on rookie hitting (again, I haven't played that many games hitting). In general, I haven't "played" a console video game in a few years, so its probably just me. Are there any house rules for the franchise mode that people are implementing?

Hey Mizzou, if I remember correctly, you were stuck on rookie hitting for a little time too, how many games would you say it took you before you moved to veteran (thats where you are now, right?)
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #342
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Got this game last weekend when I bought a PS2 for it, boy am I glad I did!

I started out by playing the career mode, with myself a starting pitcher. While I can certainly see the qualities about the indepth nature of this mode, I found it to be a little dull for my tastes. I like to controll the other players as well, and I missed hitting.

I'm going to start a franchise sometime today or tomorrow, but I find myself stuck on rookie hitting (again, I haven't played that many games hitting). In general, I haven't "played" a console video game in a few years, so its probably just me. Are there any house rules for the franchise mode that people are implementing?

Hey Mizzou, if I remember correctly, you were stuck on rookie hitting for a little time too, how many games would you say it took you before you moved to veteran (thats where you are now, right?)

I'm about to move up to AS. Play the spring training, that will allow you to make changes as far as settings go.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #343
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
I'm about to move up to AS. Play the spring training, that will allow you to make changes as far as settings go.

That sounds like a good plan. I was going to sim the spring training, but it seems like a good chance to "play" with some of the settings, since the stats don't matter. I've really got to work on my "eye" too, as I'm swinging at everything!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #344
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Todd

When you get a chance can you post your latest sliders your currently using for your All Star level.

thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #345
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd

When you get a chance can you post your latest sliders your currently using for your All Star level.

thanks

I'm playing the psp version now and just started AS with pitch count slider maxed, that's it.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #346
SegRat
High School Varsity

And how are your eyes Todd? Any problems yet?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #347
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
And how are your eyes Todd? Any problems yet?

Not yet. Although I haven't really put MLB to work yet as I'm waiting for another roster update.

The game does seem much easier to pick up the ball this year.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #348
Philliesfan980
Banned

Did you get a PSP just for this game? I thought I read somewhere that you sold it.

Shudders, I'm turning into JBMagic.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #349
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Did you get a PSP just for this game? I thought I read somewhere that you sold it.

Shudders, I'm turning into JBMagic.

Read the whole thread to keep updated on news

Quote:

I'm pathetic.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #350
Philliesfan980
Banned

Nice catch JB

Not to derail this thread, but the PSP too me has been too much of a disappointment - too many ports and not enough original stuff to warrant a repurchase. Nonetheless, it must be nice to sit out on the porch/deck and play a game or two