Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #301
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
1 used & new from $69.95

That ain't gonna happen. None of these online stores have it either.

GoGamer.com has it for $49.90 but that seems awfully high.
I got it from amazon at christmas for 29.99...so i dont know
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #302
Swaggs
Coordinator

Anyone still into this game?

I am thinking of taking the plunge. I keep seeing one copy of it at the local Gamestop.

I bought last season and loved the universe-type feel of it, but after the first season, I didn't like free agency at all and I also didn't like how coaching records were not kept for the head coaches (assembling a staff was fun for me).

What do you guys like/dislike at this point?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #303
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm playing right now, as a matter of face. Just downloading facepacks from http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/. Good times.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #304
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

For those who are having a hard time finding this...I have an extra copy that I bought for my brother, he is "not into it" plus he has never paid me so I have planned on taking it back for a while. I would be willing to trade for a TCB License or if that isnt possible then I guess I can just give it away.

It is not doing any good at my bastard brothers house.

Let me know.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #305
scooter
High School Varsity

I'm still playing, but I play in the WHL so free agency is not an issue. Overage and roster limits are a different issue though. . .
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #306
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Anyone still into this game?

I am thinking of taking the plunge. I keep seeing one copy of it at the local Gamestop.

I bought last season and loved the universe-type feel of it, but after the first season, I didn't like free agency at all and I also didn't like how coaching records were not kept for the head coaches (assembling a staff was fun for me).

What do you guys like/dislike at this point?

I am still playing it. It's a great, great game. My first career lasted over 10 season long. If you like hockey and like text sims, it's a dream come true. There is really no downside to this game. If you are thinking about taking the plunge, do it. Well, I guess you could check in with the SI gang and see where EHM 2006 is at. If it's coming out in a few months or so, you could hold off.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #307
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I am still playing it. It's a great, great game. My first career lasted over 10 season long. If you like hockey and like text sims, it's a dream come true. There is really no downside to this game. If you are thinking about taking the plunge, do it. Well, I guess you could check in with the SI gang and see where EHM 2006 is at. If it's coming out in a few months or so, you could hold off.

FYI, SI will be releasing all future EHM games in September or October to coincide with the NHL seasons.

EHM2005 is truly excellent. If you're a hockey fan, you will not be disappointed.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #308
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
FYI, SI will be releasing all future EHM games in September or October to coincide with the NHL seasons.

EHM2005 is truly excellent. If you're a hockey fan, you will not be disappointed.

I'm a huge hockey fan, and while not 'disappointed', I don't like EHM all that much. Too much micro-managing, or if you forego that a season that simply drags on too long.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #309
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I'm a huge hockey fan, and while not 'disappointed', I don't like EHM all that much. Too much micro-managing, or if you forego that a season that simply drags on too long.
I echo this statement. Way too much micro-managing. I just want to GM my NHL team, not worry about all the minor leagues.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-25-2006 at 11:52 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #310
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz

Weren't they skipping a year anyway? Probably best if that's true. The next addition should be the cat's ass!
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #311
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Weren't they skipping a year anyway? Probably best if that's true. The next addition should be the cat's ass!

Naw, just a marketing thing. The next game will be EHM 2007 but will be released this year, assuming all goes well.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #312
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I'm still playing, but I play in the WHL so free agency is not an issue. Overage and roster limits are a different issue though. . .

I'm optimistic that stuff will be fixed in junior for the next version.

And yeah, no skipping a year - the next version will be '2007' just to get it in line with the FM titling and all the other sports games that come out in the last quarter of 2006 and are labeled 2007.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #313
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
I'm optimistic that stuff will be fixed in junior for the next version.

And yeah, no skipping a year - the next version will be '2007' just to get it in line with the FM titling and all the other sports games that come out in the last quarter of 2006 and are labeled 2007.

So there won't be a calandar year without a new EHM, just a title missing the year '2006'?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #314
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I really like it. It is really a lot of micromanaging, but I enjoy the game a ton and I've never really been into that level of detail other than in baseball games, but...it's really engrossing.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #315
Swaggs
Coordinator

I purchased today.

I saw the one remaining copy at Gamestop and figured it was meant to be.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #316
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I love it. I've been playing a lot since the Olympic Tourny and I just keep going back.

I am finding some odd waiver choices though. Tonight a 7-0-2 Flyers team waived Esche who had 8 starts and a GAA of under 2. They replaced him with Steve Shields who has lost three in a row and has a GAA north of 3.50.

I have seen a few other odd waiver decisions, notably the Kings waiven Jussi Jokinen after two 70 point seasons and Daniel Sedin being dropped early in the season.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #317
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
So there won't be a calandar year without a new EHM, just a title missing the year '2006'?

Right.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #318
Swaggs
Coordinator

Well, I got screwed.

Like I said, I took the plunge and bought it yesterday at Gamestop.

Last night, I took it out, loaded it up, and started to play, and thought that it looked like the last version that I had. And, upon further review it was.

This was the first time I have bought anything at Gamestop. It was in in the new release section, cost $39.99, and I had downloaded the previous version and not seen a box, so I figured it was the current one. I am pretty sick disgusted over this.

Gamestop has a no return policy on open merchandise, so I'm guessing I'm SOL here. I sent Marc and riz a message, but I'm not real hopeful that they can do much about it. I am pretty pissed and think it was deceptive of Gamestop to have a game that was released in 2004 in its new release display (when there is a much newer version out) and that it was $39.99 (same price I bought it for in mid-2004).
Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #319
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, I got screwed.

Last night, I took it out, loaded it up, and started to play, and thought that it looked like the last version that I had. And, upon further review it was.

This was the first time I have bought anything at Gamestop. It was in in the new release section, cost $39.99, and I had downloaded the previous version and not seen a box, so I figured it was the current one. I am pretty sick disgusted over this.

Gamestop has a no return policy on open merchandise, so I'm guessing I'm SOL here. I sent Marc and riz a message, but I'm not real hopeful that they can do much about it. I am pretty pissed and think it was deceptive of Gamestop to have a game that was released in 2004 in its new release display (when there is a much newer version out) and that it was $39.99 (same price I bought it for in mid-2004).

If you just bought it the day before, you might ask them to at least let you get something else, like not your money back, but at least store credit.

I used to work for them, though it was about 9 years ago...and we were usually pretty understanding, since in most cases the people who work there are gamers themselves and understand how this could happen.

But..their policies might have changed since then, though that was always the good thing about them, was that you had 7 days to try something out and could return it otherwise.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #320
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Well, I got screwed.

That is weak. I would try to bring it back, anyway, on the grounds that you had been decieved.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #321
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
If you just bought it the day before, you might ask them to at least let you get something else, like not your money back, but at least store credit.

I used to work for them, though it was about 9 years ago...and we were usually pretty understanding, since in most cases the people who work there are gamers themselves and understand how this could happen.

But..their policies might have changed since then, though that was always the good thing about them, was that you had 7 days to try something out and could return it otherwise.

I will give it a try if I don't hear back from one of the SI guys before too much longer. The wording on the receipt doesn't seem to leave much open for interpretation, but store credit would be better than buying a game I already own again, I guess. I really hate dealing with the conflict (which will probably be nowhere near as bad as it is in my head) and hassle when I just wanted a game to play.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #322
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
That is weak. I would try to bring it back, anyway, on the grounds that you had been decieved.

Yeah. I guess I will. I feel awkward about it, since it is largely my fault for not checking more carefully. But, at the same time, I am probably more researched than most buyers when it comes to a text-sim game like this and I obviously got screwed. I mean, it was in the new release section, full priced, and there is a relatively new version out, so it just seems wrong to me in that regard.

I would like to think if there was a game like Tiger Woods or Madden that was in the new release section and full priced (even if the packaging and title were not current), people would probably make the same mistake, so maybe they will help me out.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #323
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah. I guess I will. I feel awkward about it, since it is largely my fault for not checking more carefully. But, at the same time, I am probably more researched than most buyers when it comes to a text-sim game like this and I obviously got screwed. I mean, it was in the new release section, full priced, and there is a relatively new version out, so it just seems wrong to me in that regard.

I would like to think if there was a game like Tiger Woods or Madden that was in the new release section and full priced (even if the packaging and title were not current), people would probably make the same mistake, so maybe they will help me out.

I almost did the same thing at fry's. Take it back and bitch till they let you exchange it. If they say no, ask for the manager. If the manager says no ask for the District Manager. I had to go up two levels one time, but they took my game back.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #324
vtbub
College Starter

Hopefully Marc Vaughan sees this, there is a marketing snafu here somewhere.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #325
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, I got screwed.

Ouch. The Gamestop that I bought it from had both versions. I had to do a double take because the price of the old version was more expensive than the newer one.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #326
Celeval
Pro Starter

I had a similar issue when I went looking for WWSM - two different EB/Gamestop types had WWSM 2005 in their PC "new releases" section.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #327
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I almost did the same thing at fry's. Take it back and bitch till they let you exchange it. If they say no, ask for the manager. If the manager says no ask for the District Manager. I had to go up two levels one time, but they took my game back.

Agreed. District Managers will almost always give the customer want, especially in your case (it wouldn't get that far...I bet an assistant manager on duty would go ahead and take it back) because they'd prefer your long-term business over losing a customer or a huge hassle in the store that could get ugly. But don't wait too much longer or if you wait too many days, it would seem more and more as if you'd played it and just didn't like it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #328
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Newest unfake and roster update now avaliable. See this thread...

http://community.sigames.com/groupee...2812079471/p/2
Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #329
JeffR
High School JV

Bumping just to point out we're looking for team/league researchers again:
http://community.sigames.com/groupee...5/m/1412047502

I know there are a few people here who follow minor league/college/junior teams; those are areas we particularly could use some help with. If you can't/don't want to post your information on the SI forum, PM it to me and I'll make sure it winds up in the right hands.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #330
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

applied...again
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #331
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

As I mentionned in the "What are the text-based sports sims you play ?" and with the family life regaining some sort of normalcy (read: my wife isn't working night anymore and I can play on the computer once the kids are in bed in the evening ) and the playoffs coming in just about every hockey league around, I'm getting a possible itch to pick up EHM.

I will certainly dowload the try-and-buy file from sega.com and test it out over the allowed 180 days of pla but wanted to ask this question in the open. How long does it take you guys to play a season? (in hour of playtime or weeks with how many hours a day or week played and with what kind of gamer you are, i.e. extra attentive to details, a fast simmer or other)

When I had time to play FM at least an hour per evening (with some evenings going for 2+ hours and some more in the weekend days) I was able to play a 46 game season in about 2.5, 3 weeks. I'm trying to gauge at what pace I'd see a season, and to a bigger extent a career, go by in EHM.

Oh, and to be sure, one can manage in the QMJHL, right. I could be interested in starting out with the Quebec Remparts

Thanks in advance.

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #332
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
As I mentionned in the "What are the text-based sports sims you play ?" and with the family life regaining some sort of normalcy (read: my wife isn't working night anymore and I can play on the computer once the kids are in bed in the evening ) and the playoffs coming in just about every hockey league around, I'm getting a possible itch to pick up EHM.

I will certainly dowload the try-and-buy file from sega.com and test it out over the allowed 180 days of pla but wanted to ask this question in the open. How long does it take you guys to play a season? (in hour of playtime or weeks with how many hours a day or week played and with what kind of gamer you are, i.e. extra attentive to details, a fast simmer or other)

When I had time to play FM at least an hour per evening (with some evenings going for 2+ hours and some more in the weekend days) I was able to play a 46 game season in about 2.5, 3 weeks. I'm trying to gauge at what pace I'd see a season, and to a bigger extent a career, go by in EHM.

Oh, and to be sure, one can manage in the QMJHL, right. I could be interested in starting out with the Quebec Remparts

Thanks in advance.

FM

I started a response to your post in the other thread, but then decided to hold off. Good thing I did.

It's hard to say how long a season takes. It obviously depends on your style of play. I would "watch" all of my games, but at the fastest speed possible, which is pretty fast. I would slow it down near the end, if it was a close game (to pull the goalie, etc.). I would also check between periods to see if any adjustments were needed.

I acted as both GM and coach. I set the lines, called players up/sent them down, made trades, everything. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my team. That said, once I find a system that works, I don't tinker obsessively. I would say I move through the season at a decent clip.

I would say, based on 2+ hours at night and some more on the weekend, you should be able to get through a season in about the same time it took you to get through an FM season 2.5 - 3 weeks. That feels about right to me.

I don't know much about the junior leagues. I only did an NHL career.

It's a great game. The drafting/player development aspects are fanastic. I love drafting players and having a large group of prospects/minor leaguers and bringing them up and watching them grow.

I played about 10+ seasons in my career with the Caps and that was before the big North American super patch/update.

Like I said in the other thread, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the current FM games. In many respects, it's like playing CM 02-03 or thereabouts in terms of features and feel.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #333
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I started a response to your post in the other thread, but then decided to hold off. Good thing I did.

Funny, after reading your post in the other thread and knowing your love for hockey, I was almost certain you'd be the first to reply to my post in here

Quote:
It's hard to say how long a season takes. It obviously depends on your style of play. I would "watch" all of my games, but at the fastest speed possible, which is pretty fast. I would slow it down near the end, if it was a close game (to pull the goalie, etc.). I would also check between periods to see if any adjustments were needed.

It's obvious that the time it takes for a season will be different from one player to another. I tend to be very active during games in FM, doing many little adjustments which I may not have to do in EHM. Speaking of which, how is it in-game? What is represented? I know I'm kind of late to the party and I could certainly find all of this by reading some of the previous 20+ pages, but I'm lazy

Quote:
I acted as both GM and coach. I set the lines, called players up/sent them down, made trades, everything. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my team. That said, once I find a system that works, I don't tinker obsessively. I would say I move through the season at a decent clip.

I would say, based on 2+ hours at night and some more on the weekend, you should be able to get through a season in about the same time it took you to get through an FM season 2.5 - 3 weeks. That feels about right to me.

I'd say it would be about the way I'd manage/coach the team. Find a system I'm comfortabl with and kinda stick with it.

I don't know if I'll be able to play 2+ hours *every* night, probably more like at least one hour and sometimes more. This was down to about 30 minutes max when my wife was working night and took a nap in the evening (our computer is in our bedroom until we finish the basement at some point this spring).

Right now, the "getting back to care about hockey" itch is making me want to give it a whirl. One more question, can you manage an international squad with this version?

Quote:
Like I said in the other thread, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the current FM games. In many respects, it's like playing CM 02-03 or thereabouts in terms of features and feel.

I only played a little with CM4 before really getting hooked with FM2005 so I wouldn't know about CM02-03, the fact that it's a different sport and thus a quite different kind of culture and management, I think I wouldn't have much problem with EHM in the state it is now...

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated...

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #334
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and is the digidownload version stable enough to buy?

Even though I've not personally experienced any problems with the digidownload of WSM, let's say it's not been the smoothest of all overall...

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #335
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Funny, after reading your post in the other thread and knowing your love for hockey, I was almost certain you'd be the first to reply to my post in here

It's obvious that the time it takes for a season will be different from one player to another. I tend to be very active during games in FM, doing many little adjustments which I may not have to do in EHM. Speaking of which, how is it in-game? What is represented? I know I'm kind of late to the party and I could certainly find all of this by reading some of the previous 20+ pages, but I'm lazy

I'd say it would be about the way I'd manage/coach the team. Find a system I'm comfortabl with and kinda stick with it.

I don't know if I'll be able to play 2+ hours *every* night, probably more like at least one hour and sometimes more. This was down to about 30 minutes max when my wife was working night and took a nap in the evening (our computer is in our bedroom until we finish the basement at some point this spring).

Right now, the "getting back to care about hockey" itch is making me want to give it a whirl. One more question, can you manage an international squad with this version?

I only played a little with CM4 before really getting hooked with FM2005 so I wouldn't know about CM02-03, the fact that it's a different sport and thus a quite different kind of culture and management, I think I wouldn't have much problem with EHM in the state it is now...

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated...

FM

No worries! I love this stuff. I apologize about not knowing how to do the whole "quote" - post - "quote" - post thing. I've tried it before. It wasn't pretty.

I have had the computer in the bedroom situation before. It's not pretty. You sitting there, hunched over the computer with only the glow of the monitor to light your way, all the while thinking "Ok, one more game. One more game..." and then glancing over your shoulder at each toss or turn from the bed and then thinking, "One more game... Ok, how late can I play this? At what point would my wife wake up and find me still playing my game and get pissed? 1? 1:30? 2?" It can be a dangerous game.

How it in-game? Well, it's pretty decent actually. Instead of the fluid 2-D representation you get with FM, you get a static 2-D representation in EHM. I think the players (dots) move every 3 or 5 seconds or so. It's like a series of snapshots. When simming on the highest speed, it actually looks like it's flowing in real time. Though very, very fast real time. Like in FM, you can click the "tactics" button to pause the game whenever you want to switch a line or adjust a tactic. You also get sent to the tactics screen whenever there is an injury or suspension. The in-game options are very similar to the older CM/FM games. There are no half-time speeches or anything like that, but you can adjust your lines and tactics on the fly, pull your goalie, etc. It works well. Players are also rated over the course of the game, as in FM, on a 1-10, so you can see who is performing how well and who isn't.

You can manage an international squad. I did it quite a few times actually. Once your reptutation is good enough, you just apply for the job and then take over the squad. Typically your role as coach only lasts for one tournament. I coached the U.S. juniors a few times and the U.S. team in the world championships. I never had all that much success in these endeavors, but I kept trying.

The one big difference between EHM and the most recent FM games, in my opinion, are the player and media interactions. I am not sure if it was because I had so much success in my career (I rule! ) or whether it was because I had group of great guys or great leadership, but I rarely had any sort personality flare-ups like I did in FM. I think a few other guys had while coaching in lower leagues, but, for whatever reason, the players in EHM seem to lack the personality you find in FM. Then again, that could be the difference between soccer players and hockey players. I also felt the media interaction was a bit lacking.

Still, EHM is only in its second incarnation at SI and so I expect these things to come in time, as they did with FM. Even with those drawbacks, I still played the hell out of that game. Lady H_B was not a fan of "the hockey game." I guess I can't blame her for her reaction when she looks over at her 31 year old husband at 5:30 pm on a Saturday and finds him sitting in his comfy chair, where he's been since waking up at around 9 am, still in his pajamas, unshaved and unwashed, laptop on the lap and still... playing... that... game.

Good times... Good times...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Even though I've not personally experienced any problems with the digidownload of WSM, let's say it's not been the smoothest of all overall...

FM

Not sure. I have the CD version. I always perfer it to downloading.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #337
scooter
High School Varsity

I play both FM and EHM. I am the world's slowest player though. After months I'm still only about halfway through my FM season.

I don't coach my games in EHM (lack of knowledge mostly). I do play in the major juniors though with the Everett Silvertips. The CHL leagues have some quirks that you may have to get used to: there are no roster limits on total number of players but you can only suit up 3 overagers, attributes are a little hard to read (much like playing FM in the lower leagues) in that numbers tend to be low but certain ones are higher (like a guy that's got 7 and 8 for most attributes but then has a 14 for passing, etc.). If you want first-hand info, ping JeffR. I'm pretty sure he worked closely with Riz to get things straight in the CHL.

As far as the digital download is concerned, I have the CD, so I can't help you there. Living in Canada, you may be able to find a CD version in a store near you. If it were me, I guess I'd start there.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #338
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
No worries! I love this stuff. I apologize about not knowing how to do the whole "quote" - post - "quote" - post thing. I've tried it before. It wasn't pretty.

It's not very difficult, just have to wrapped the quotes properly, close every one you open. That being said, I'm sure I'll f*ck one up here and will look like a fool

Quote:
I have had the computer in the bedroom situation before. It's not pretty. You sitting there, hunched over the computer with only the glow of the monitor to light your way, all the while thinking "Ok, one more game. One more game..." and then glancing over your shoulder at each toss or turn from the bed and then thinking, "One more game... Ok, how late can I play this? At what point would my wife wake up and find me still playing my game and get pissed? 1? 1:30? 2?" It can be a dangerous game.

I had the computer in a separate room until our second son was born in January 2004. Then, my playing time took a hit because, well a newborn takes "some" of your time Then my wife went back to work and started working nights. Because of that, she would take a nap in the evening, before going back to work. Since she was having a hard time getting enough rest during the day, me playing next to her when she was napping was simply out of the question. Then she'd go to work around 11pm and knowing I was going to have to deal with two kiddos by myself the next morning, I never felt like playing too much into the night...

As I said, we are finishing the basement and soon I'll have my very own playroom downstairs, with a TV and computer in the same room, next to a nice woodstove to warm up the place.

Quote:
How it in-game? Well, it's pretty decent actually. Instead of the fluid 2-D representation you get with FM, you get a static 2-D representation in EHM. I think the players (dots) move every 3 or 5 seconds or so. It's like a series of snapshots. When simming on the highest speed, it actually looks like it's flowing in real time. Though very, very fast real time. Like in FM, you can click the "tactics" button to pause the game whenever you want to switch a line or adjust a tactic. You also get sent to the tactics screen whenever there is an injury or suspension. The in-game options are very similar to the older CM/FM games. There are no half-time speeches or anything like that, but you can adjust your lines and tactics on the fly, pull your goalie, etc. It works well. Players are also rated over the course of the game, as in FM, on a 1-10, so you can see who is performing how well and who isn't.

Looks cool. I think I will probably fly through games a bit faster in EHM than I do in FM, no real explanation why, just think so. Sure, there are more hockey games in a season so it'll probably even out...

Quote:
The one big difference between EHM and the most recent FM games, in my opinion, are the player and media interactions. I am not sure if it was because I had so much success in my career (I rule! ) or whether it was because I had group of great guys or great leadership, but I rarely had any sort personality flare-ups like I did in FM. I think a few other guys had while coaching in lower leagues, but, for whatever reason, the players in EHM seem to lack the personality you find in FM. Then again, that could be the difference between soccer players and hockey players. I also felt the media interaction was a bit lacking.

This reminds me a bit of when SI introduced the media interaction and better player personalities in FM2005. They were better yet not as good as in FM2006.

Quote:
Still, EHM is only in its second incarnation at SI and so I expect these things to come in time, as they did with FM. Even with those drawbacks, I still played the hell out of that game. Lady H_B was not a fan of "the hockey game." I guess I can't blame her for her reaction when she looks over at her 31 year old husband at 5:30 pm on a Saturday and finds him sitting in his comfy chair, where he's been since waking up at around 9 am, still in his pajamas, unshaved and unwashed, laptop on the lap and still... playing... that... game.

Good times... Good times...

I agree, EHM seems like a very good game, especially getting the boost of the SI input but I just never had the time to try it, nor did I want to get away from my FM career for too long. I don't expect EHM to be at the level that FM is at this point but I'm feeling like picking up another game and I really don't feel like starting a new FOF career. I got spoiled by FM a bit

The days of playing from 9 to 5 are kinda gone for me though. Used to do that just before our second son was born, when our oldest was almost 7 and could play by himself or would play with his friends for most of the day. Now, I still got a couple years before the young one will be at that level of sitting with daddy and playing quietly while daddy screams at the computer screen

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #339
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Not sure. I have the CD version. I always perfer it to downloading.

I would too, but my itch is pretty much right now. Wouldn't want to get into something else and let this itch pass would I?

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #340
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I play both FM and EHM. I am the world's slowest player though. After months I'm still only about halfway through my FM season.

I don't coach my games in EHM (lack of knowledge mostly). I do play in the major juniors though with the Everett Silvertips. The CHL leagues have some quirks that you may have to get used to: there are no roster limits on total number of players but you can only suit up 3 overagers, attributes are a little hard to read (much like playing FM in the lower leagues) in that numbers tend to be low but certain ones are higher (like a guy that's got 7 and 8 for most attributes but then has a 14 for passing, etc.). If you want first-hand info, ping JeffR. I'm pretty sure he worked closely with Riz to get things straight in the CHL.

As far as the digital download is concerned, I have the CD, so I can't help you there. Living in Canada, you may be able to find a CD version in a store near you. If it were me, I guess I'd start there.

Being a slow player is cool with me, whatever you like, play it that way, be it LLM in FM or managing Arsenal, it's got stuff for everybody...

Thanks for the CHL tips. The three overagers limit means no more than three 20yo, right? If so, that's pretty standard from what little I know about the QMJHL. I'd think that players could be harder to gauge in that kind of lower league yeah. Sometimes could be more of a feeling kind of thing, "watch" them play and see who are your real stars. There are players like even in higher levels in FM. Players that play above what their skill ratings could indicate.

About the CD version, I don't think I've seen it anywhere in stores in the Quebec area, but I frankly have not searched a whole lot. Maybe I could try a couple stores. I'll at least download the demo and fool around with it a little...

Thanks for your input.

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #341
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
How it in-game? Well, it's pretty decent actually. Instead of the fluid 2-D representation you get with FM, you get a static 2-D representation in EHM. I think the players (dots) move every 3 or 5 seconds or so.

Every second, actually. But when you figure that an NHL player at full speed can easily cover 20+ feet a second, there's going to be some jerkiness. FM-style smoothness requires updates every 1/10 of a second.

Quote:

Yup, the Q is playable.

Quote:

I don't have it, but going by the volume of reports in the SI forum it must be pretty stable - I can't remember any download-specific complaints in the last few weeks of posts.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #342
Bee
Pro Starter

I found that I go through a season of EHM in about 3/4 of the time it takes me to go through a FM season. Not sure if that's just me or normal though.

FrogMan, I think you'll be very happy with EHM. It's a great game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #343
Bee
Pro Starter

Oh, I have the download version and it was very stable. No issues that I know of unlike the FM problems.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #344
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

Thanks for the CHL tips. The three overagers limit means no more than three 20yo, right? If so, that's pretty standard from what little I know about the QMJHL. I'd think that players could be harder to gauge in that kind of lower league yeah. Sometimes could be more of a feeling kind of thing, "watch" them play and see who are your real stars. There are players like even in higher levels in FM. Players that play above what their skill ratings could indicate.

Yeah, no more than 3 20-year-olds per CHL team (but the game lets you cheat a little by keeping extra ones on your affiliate team, unlike real life - hopefully we get that changed in the next version.) The overall experience playing junior is a little like FOF: TCY - you have to constantly plan around the inevitable departure of your best players. The big difference is the ability to be a little more flexible during the season; if you get off to an unexpectedly good start, you can sacrifice the future (picks, prospects) to pick up players who can help you make a run for the championship in the short-term. Oh, and since you're not losing players automatically once they're drafted, you get a couple of years of tension wondering whether or not your best player's NHL team will let you keep him for the season.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #345
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Every second, actually. But when you figure that an NHL player at full speed can easily cover 20+ feet a second, there's going to be some jerkiness. FM-style smoothness requires updates every 1/10 of a second.

Yup, the Q is playable.

I don't have it, but going by the volume of reports in the SI forum it must be pretty stable - I can't remember any download-specific complaints in the last few weeks of posts.

Thanks for the answers Jeff, very helpful. The 2D engine seems impressive in its own right...

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #346
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I found that I go through a season of EHM in about 3/4 of the time it takes me to go through a FM season. Not sure if that's just me or normal though.

FrogMan, I think you'll be very happy with EHM. It's a great game.

Thanks. Seeing how we seem to share an interest for FM/WSM, your opinion is highly regarded (was that well said or not, huh ).

Also thanks for the comment on the download version (will avoid me a separate reply, not trying to pad my post number too much, you know...)

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #347
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, no more than 3 20-year-olds per CHL team (but the game lets you cheat a little by keeping extra ones on your affiliate team, unlike real life - hopefully we get that changed in the next version.) The overall experience playing junior is a little like FOF: TCY - you have to constantly plan around the inevitable departure of your best players. The big difference is the ability to be a little more flexible during the season; if you get off to an unexpectedly good start, you can sacrifice the future (picks, prospects) to pick up players who can help you make a run for the championship in the short-term. Oh, and since you're not losing players automatically once they're drafted, you get a couple of years of tension wondering whether or not your best player's NHL team will let you keep him for the season.

Yeah, that's a side of things I thought about and felt kinda weird dealing with. I guess I'll have some thinking about where I want to start in the game.

Is it very tough to get a job in the NHL if I decide to start in the Juniors but don't like it about midway through the season?

Also, how do CHL teams get their players, is there a draft of very young prospects or something like that? Also, are trade windows implemented in the juniors? I know the QMJHL teams can only trade during some trade windows. I think they do that so the kids don't screw up their classes or something like that...

Thanks again for your input. All this hockey talk is getting me excited about maybe playing this thing a bit

FM
Old 03-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #348
Swaggs
Coordinator

Make sure you buy the current version: NHL EHM 2005.

The older version is still available out there and still full priced, so make sure to get the 2005 version.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #349
Karim
College Starter

After playing FM, I haven't gone back to EHM but the one thing that is better in EHM is the ability to play as GM-only, without having to coach. That will probably change as the 2-D interface gets to FM levels but for now I enjoy leaving the coach in charge. It also makes for much quicker simming.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #350
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Is it very tough to get a job in the NHL if I decide to start in the Juniors but don't like it about midway through the season?

Directly to the NHL from junior? Very tough - NHL GM jobs don't turn over frequently, and there'll be a lot of candidates with better reputations than you. The junior-to-NHL career path usually requires some time spent as an AHL GM. Of course, you could always just add a second GM to the game, take over an NHL team with that one (just like you would at the start of the game), and retire your original guy.

Quote:
Also, how do CHL teams get their players, is there a draft of very young prospects or something like that? Also, are trade windows implemented in the juniors? I know the QMJHL teams can only trade during some trade windows. I think they do that so the kids don't screw up their classes or something like that...

The Q trade windows in the game are the same as the real ones, if I remember right, so their trading opportunities are a bit more constricted than in the other two junior leagues. As for drafting, the OHL and QMJHL draft 16-year-olds in the spring, who can play full-time the following season. The WHL takes 15-year-olds, so they have to play midget (or Junior A/B) for another year before going full-time in the WHL. New players are generated at age 14-15, depending on region, so you can scout them while they "play" in their background leagues for a season. The background leagues are fleshed-out pretty thoroughly, so most of the Quebec draftees will be from Midget Espoir or the AAA midget league, as in real life, so you wind up with a draft list looking a lot like the real one - http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2005QMJHL.html.