Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #301
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This game has the effect to blow you away at times. What a game tonight (PRO) vs the Rangers. I'm up 1-0 after the first period... Legacy is looking great.

Period two, they get two goals to take the lead 2-1.

Period three and they go up 4-1, both goals came on the PP. I get a PP soon after the 4th goal and score to make it 4-2. Two goals later and the game is tied 4-4 with about 6 mins left in the game. I score again on a great pass from Brewer to Tkachuk to take the lead 5-4. The last 5 mins seemed like 20 and I held them off to win the game.

On that last goal to take the lead, I woke up the house.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #302
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I hear ya - I was playing a game this afternoon and had the Islanders tie the game against me at 2-2 with only 18 seconds left. I yelled, "No!" and felt a little embarassed about it.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #303
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I hear ya - I was playing a game this afternoon and had the Islanders tie the game against me at 2-2 with only 18 seconds left. I yelled, "No!" and felt a little embarassed about it.

Don't be embarassed!!! It's hockey baby!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #304
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Played 3 games tonight. I really have to say this game is the closest to any "real" sports game I've ever played. A heck of a lot of fun.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #305
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
How in the world do people get to return console games? I see people saying all the time that they returned a game they didn't like. I guess I'm buying from the wrong places because everyone tells me that I can only exchange an opened game for the same title. There aren't any returns.
I'm still curious about the above, but that's not why I'm posting.

Now that I have my Xbox 360 back, and I've had some free time, I've started a franchise on All-Star and played three games. Sadly, I've lost all three games, but two of them were close, and one bounce here or there would've made a difference. The game is a lot of fun, and I wish I had even more time so I could play it more often. At this point, Project Gotham Racing 4 is taking up most of my gaming time, but NHL 08 is in second place.

Gosh, I wish I could just take three or four days and play games nonstop. I don't know what I'm going to do in a month when College Hoops and Mass Effect come out.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #306
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Played 3 games tonight. I really have to say this game is the closest to any "real" sports game I've ever played. A heck of a lot of fun.
I'm enjoying NHL 08 a lot, but I really find statements like this odd.

This game isn't close to a realistic hockey game. There are things that happen on every single shift that just aren't even in the ballpark, to mix my metaphor. For example:

- There's still no concept of two-on-ones or other odd man rushes, at least not in any way that resembles real hockey. No real concept of scoring off the rush at all, actually -- it's all about gaining the zone, stopping and setting up a quasi-power play formation, even when even strength.

- The fighting system is completely broken, to the point that I'm just tempted to turn it off even though I'm a knuckle-dragging Don Cherry disciple

- No concept of defencemen pinching, or faceoff strategy, or line-matching. Minimal board play. Virtually no neutral zone play -- maybe one cross-ice pass if you're feeling fancy.

- Non-existent crowd logic. Below average play-by-play. Incredibly basic coaching strategy options.

Not to sound like the grumpy old man of hockey sims, but graphics aside Wayne Gretzky Hockey for the PC was miles ahead of NHL 08 in the realism department and that was 20 years ago.

All that said, it's a huge improvement over previous versions and it's a lot of fun, which is ultimately more important than realism. But I've seen games like Madden get crucified over relatively small problems, while people are praising NHL for it's realism despite the stuff above. What am I missing?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #307
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

These are absolutely valid criticisms of '08's realism. ML's point about the odd man rushes and the quasi power play are astute. I've only played about 20-25 games or so, but I think I've had only two breakaways and maybe a few more 2-on-1s in all of those games. But it is a fun game without question.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #308
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm still curious about the above, but that's not why I'm posting.

They aren't returning, they are doing the buy-back thing and using the credit to apply to a different game. The terminology is confusing, that's all.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #309
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
They aren't returning, they are doing the buy-back thing and using the credit to apply to a different game. The terminology is confusing, that's all.
Well, it's one thing to do that after the game's been out for a few weeks, but I've seen people say that within a week of the game coming out. Don't most places (at least in the US) only give you partial credit if you sell a game back to them? Last year, when Madden 07 had a game-killing fatigue bug, I tried to bring back my $70 Hall of Fame Edition after a week and explain that the game was basically broken. GameStop offered to give me $35 worth of credit for it. So I would've basically rented the game for a week for $35. As soon as I opened the packaging, that was $35 down the drain. I ended up keeping the game.

I mean, hey, if people are willing to trade in a game after just a few days, that's no business of mine. I just thought that people were actually returning their games and getting full credit for them. If that's the case, I want to know where they're going and how they're doing it.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #310
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

This game isn't close to a realistic hockey game. There are things that happen on every single shift that just aren't even in the ballpark, to mix my metaphor. For example:

- There's still no concept of two-on-ones or other odd man rushes, at least not in any way that resembles real hockey. No real concept of scoring off the rush at all, actually -- it's all about gaining the zone, stopping and setting up a quasi-power play formation, even when even strength.

- The fighting system is completely broken, to the point that I'm just tempted to turn it off even though I'm a knuckle-dragging Don Cherry disciple

- No concept of defencemen pinching, or faceoff strategy, or line-matching. Minimal board play. Virtually no neutral zone play -- maybe one cross-ice pass if you're feeling fancy.

- Non-existent crowd logic. Below average play-by-play. Incredibly basic coaching strategy options.

Not to sound like the grumpy old man of hockey sims, but graphics aside Wayne Gretzky Hockey for the PC was miles ahead of NHL 08 in the realism department and that was 20 years ago.

All that said, it's a huge improvement over previous versions and it's a lot of fun, which is ultimately more important than realism. But I've seen games like Madden get crucified over relatively small problems, while people are praising NHL for it's realism despite the stuff above. What am I missing?

These are nuances only hockey fans pick up. It's like the guys always yelling wheel and nothing happens. Only diehards know what that even means.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #311
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
These are nuances only hockey fans pick up. It's like the guys always yelling wheel and nothing happens. Only diehards know what that even means.
The fact that I can press the "y" button and two guys who aren't even anywhere near each other on the ice will randomly start to fight is a nuance?

But I get your point. And that's the thing about these "most realistic ever" comments (which I've read in a lot of places, not just here)... it makes me wonder whether there are even any hockey fans playing these games any more.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #312
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The fact that I can press the "y" button and two guys who aren't even anywhere near each other on the ice will randomly start to fight is a nuance?

But I get your point. And that's the thing about these "most realistic ever" comments (which I've read in a lot of places, not just here)... it makes me wonder whether there are even any hockey fans playing these games any more.

Or it's just a testament to how much further away the games were in the past. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, and while obviously not perfect, it's quite a few steps closer than the last few editions. It feels like a completely different game, so I think that's why you're seeing/hearing so much reaction this year.

Question is, does the game play remain the same and we just get a roster update next year or do they continue to move closer to how the game actually works and we start seeing more of the stuff you mentioned earlier (pinching D, more true 2 on 1's, breakaway's, etc). Either way, I'll take this year's version of the game over anything in the last 5 years and have my fingers crossed that next year continues the path.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #313
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

I see odd man rushes and break aways pretty often, but I play online alot so maybe that is it.

I see defensemen pinching the boards.

I thought the play-by-play was actually pretty good. It could be better, but by far best EA Sports play-by-play.

Coaching options are terrible. Especially online. The fact that the defensive and offensive lines are tied together make no sense. I'm not sure they are tied together, I can't figure out how that works.

Overall though, the flow of the game is the closest I've seen to a "real" sports game.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #314
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm going to have to disagree with ML also.

I score off the rush more often than any other way.

I see neutral-zone action all the time, I will frequently pass back to my D, across, back across, etc (in the neutral zone or the top of my zone) in an attempt to break into the opposing zone.

The play-by-play, aside from the use of the word "cannonaide", is the best I've heard in a sports game.

I don't see anything wrong with the board play. Does the puck get tied up for 25 seconds (real time)? No, but it does get tied up, and you can have little scrums for it. It's not as detailed as I remember the 2K games being, but I also don't have to remember that L2+R2+X = kick along the boards or whatever.

I will agree that the fighting sucks, and I'm not really concerned about coaching options when I play online so I'll give him that out of ignorance.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #315
GoDukes
Mascot

For me, I guess it's the closest thing to the early parts of the series. While unrealistic at times, it's close enough. The animations are good. The game "feels" better than it did before. IMO.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #316
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I see odd man rushes and break aways pretty often, but I play online alot so maybe that is it.
When I say a 2-on-1, I don't just mean two players and one defenceman. I mean a play where the two forwards are coming in and there's a genuine "will he shoot or pass" moment, where the goalie is taking the shooter and the defenceman is playing the pass. I hear the commentators say "two on one!" every now and then but never in a situation that looks like what I just described.

Quote:
I see defensemen pinching the boards.
Again, I don't just mean a defenceman who just moves in off the blue line. I mean the puck is coming along the boards, and rather than fall back into the position the defenceman jumps up to keep it in (with the risk that if he misses, the forward will likely get past him and have an odd-man rush). This is a critically important hockey play, and I don't see it happen in NHL 08.

Quote:
Overall though, the flow of the game is the closest I've
seen to a "real" sports game.
How big a hockey fan are you? That's not some sort of rhetorical putdown, I'm honestly wondering.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #317
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
When I say a 2-on-1, I don't just mean two players and one defenceman. I mean a play where the two forwards are coming in and there's a genuine "will he shoot or pass" moment, where the goalie is taking the shooter and the defenceman is playing the pass. I hear the commentators say "two on one!" every now and then but never in a situation that looks like what I just described.

Again, I don't just mean a defenceman who just moves in off the blue line. I mean the puck is coming along the boards, and rather than fall back into the position the defenceman jumps up to keep it in (with the risk that if he misses, the forward will likely get past him and have an odd-man rush). This is a critically important hockey play, and I don't see it happen in NHL 08.

How big a hockey fan are you? That's not some sort of rhetorical putdown, I'm honestly wondering.

I played hockey for about 15 years, both Ice Hockey and Street Hockey. I'm 34 now and live in Houston. I love hockey, but I must admit since Hockey went to Versus, I don't watch as many games as I used too. My cable company doesn't offer an NHL package and I really only like to watch the Flyers. I grew up outside of Philly and my grandfather had me at games at 4 years old.

I play NHL in goal quite often and I enjoy watching the game. What I'm trying to say is that I haven't played a game that played as close to its real sport as NHL. I haven't even played a franchise or solo game at all, so I'm not sure if the game is different in that regard.

There are definately areas for improvement, but I think overall it is a good effort of trying to simulate hockey.

NHL to me is better then Madden, NBA Live, NFL 2k and NBA 2k of trying to emmulate the sport it represents. I mean of course to me EHM still is a better hockey sim, but I can't actually "play" that. The only other game that comes close is the new FIFA 2008. I hear Winning 11 is supposed to be great, but I haven't played it yet. They took out most of the "CHEESE" that has always been in all hockey games and that is what I'm most happy about.

I agree with your comments in terms of improvments to the game. I will pay more attention to my defense when I play, but I could of swore I see guys pinching the boards on rap arounds and coming up and cutting off the sides at the blue line. I will pay more attention.

Do you play online alot? I see quite a bit of neutrel zone play in my league I'm in, but not much in the quick games.

When you describe the 2 on 1's I agree there isn't a ton of that. But, if you play a team that is aggresive you will definately get some breakaways on stolen passes and such.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 10-25-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #318
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Maple Leafs, about the d-men pinching: do you try setting your strategies differently for your defence (like Pressure the Puck or Agressive or whatnot)? I've found that changing those dramatically changes the way your CPU teammates will play. Also, some teams default to different settings than others (for example, the Thrashers offense defaults to 'Aggressive' rather than 'Normal'), so perhaps your team is set to something conservative which keeps you from having the types of risky plays show up that you are looking for?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #319
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's definitely the most fun I've had with an EA game for quite some time.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #320
rowech
Pro Starter

Well....I've now finished my season with Calgary. Finshed 52-27-3 with Calgary getting the second seed in the West. First round matchup against Anaheim
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #321
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

On what level rowech?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #322
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you play online alot? I see quite a bit of neutrel zone play in my league I'm in, but not much in the quick games.
Not really, and about half the online games I have played have been against the same guy, so maybe I'm missing something there.

Quote:
NHL to me is better then Madden, NBA Live, NFL 2k and NBA 2k of trying to emmulate the sport it represents.
I don't claim to understand the NFL game as well as I do the NHL, but to me Madden is still light years ahead of the NHL series in terms of realism. It just seems like Madden gets judged on a different scale -- maybe EA has lowered our expectations so much with the NHL series that it feels wrong to hold it to the same standards.

As an example, when Madden 08 came out there were immediately videos posted to Youtube of interceptions where the ball seemed to change direction, or react unrealistically. You had the usual chorus of "Wow, how can they call this game realistic, look at this, it's ridiculous!" Yet in NHL, virtually every single replay you see will have the puck doing something unrealistic, stopping and repositioning itself without being touched, then taking off on a shot before the stick gets near it. One-timers are virtually unwatchable on replay. Yet nobody even seems to notice. If the football in Madden behaved like the puck does in NHL you'd have people lining up for refunds.

Another example: NHL 08 features a ridiculous number of posts being hit. It happens several times a game, and virtually every goal goes off the post and in. Obviously somebody at EA fell in love with their post sound effect or physics or something and decided that half the shots needed to hit iron. If Madden came out with a version where half the field goals hit the upright people would scream. But when it happens in NHL we shrug and say "Oh well, close enough."

I think you could make a strong argument that NHL 08 makes the biggest improvement in realism from one version of a game to another that we've ever seen in a sports game. But it just went from "ridiculously unrealistic" to "kind of realistic". There's still miles to go.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #323
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
On what level rowech?

I believe it's pro. I just can't get better and if I play the level above, I get crushed every time. At least for me, this level is just right. I beat the teams I should and split with the teams I should split with.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #324
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I believe it's pro. I just can't get better and if I play the level above, I get crushed every time. At least for me, this level is just right. I beat the teams I should and split with the teams I should split with.

I'm with you here.

Some are saying that AS and SS might be switched? Anyhow, pro seems fine for me as well... although I tent to really outshoot the team I'm playing.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #325
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I know this has been running for weeks now, but I laughed my butt off the first time I saw it.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #326
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I know this has been running for weeks now, but I laughed my butt off the first time I saw it.
I keep waiting for the followup where he figures out that if you just hold the puck a little longer and get past the end line, the play still works just about every time because the goalie's don't know how to poke check passes through the crease.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #327
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Not really, and about half the online games I have played have been against the same guy, so maybe I'm missing something there.

I don't claim to understand the NFL game as well as I do the NHL, but to me Madden is still light years ahead of the NHL series in terms of realism. It just seems like Madden gets judged on a different scale -- maybe EA has lowered our expectations so much with the NHL series that it feels wrong to hold it to the same standards.

As an example, when Madden 08 came out there were immediately videos posted to Youtube of interceptions where the ball seemed to change direction, or react unrealistically. You had the usual chorus of "Wow, how can they call this game realistic, look at this, it's ridiculous!" Yet in NHL, virtually every single replay you see will have the puck doing something unrealistic, stopping and repositioning itself without being touched, then taking off on a shot before the stick gets near it. One-timers are virtually unwatchable on replay. Yet nobody even seems to notice. If the football in Madden behaved like the puck does in NHL you'd have people lining up for refunds.

Another example: NHL 08 features a ridiculous number of posts being hit. It happens several times a game, and virtually every goal goes off the post and in. Obviously somebody at EA fell in love with their post sound effect or physics or something and decided that half the shots needed to hit iron. If Madden came out with a version where half the field goals hit the upright people would scream. But when it happens in NHL we shrug and say "Oh well, close enough."

I think you could make a strong argument that NHL 08 makes the biggest improvement in realism from one version of a game to another that we've ever seen in a sports game. But it just went from "ridiculously unrealistic" to "kind of realistic". There's still miles to go.

That is actually a good point. I would like to backtrack a bit and change my statement up. NHL has the least amount of cheese for online play out of any of the majors. I think that is what I meant.

If you look at Madden there is a stunt you can run in a 3 - 3 - 5 that basically makes all three d linement come at the center and bypass the guards. This is an autosack, unless you are in the shotgun. This is still a pain in the butt, because they all come through untouched. I play alot of Madden competitively and things like that ruin the game.

But if you have straight players Madden is probably the most realistic. All my experiences in almost all of these games are online play.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #328
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
That is actually a good point. I would like to backtrack a bit and change my statement up. NHL has the least amount of cheese for online play out of any of the majors. I think that is what I meant.

If you look at Madden there is a stunt you can run in a 3 - 3 - 5 that basically makes all three d linement come at the center and bypass the guards. This is an autosack, unless you are in the shotgun. This is still a pain in the butt, because they all come through untouched. I play alot of Madden competitively and things like that ruin the game.

But if you have straight players Madden is probably the most realistic. All my experiences in almost all of these games are online play.

One other point to note, all games of NHL online are played at All Star. The game plays better at the All Star level, at least in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #329
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NHL 08 is quite fun, but I agree with Maple Leafs that it's nothing close to a real NHL game.

NHL 2k8 is much closer to a real NHL game, but it's not near as fun due to the smaller rinks and all the hitting that goes on.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NHL 08 roster update is finally out.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #331
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I'm trying to find a new difficulty level that is challenging, but reasonable. After figuring out a pretty easy way to score on Pro and subsequently going on a 10 game winning streak without ever scoring less than 8 goals, I have tried All-Star and Superstar. It's no longer as easy to score and my team is getting absolutely peppered with shots. The AI seems to score on one-timers with impunity. Maybe it's a slider thing, but the jump from Pro to the next level seems considerable at the moment.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #332
Logan
Head Coach

A few days ago I picked up 2k8 in a package with NBA. Only played a few games against my roommate...definitely fun but haven't played nearly enough to get the controls down. Looking forward to getting back to it this weekend.

Hey Todd, I saw a couple times you talked up 2k's faceoff system. I definitely think it's cool when the guys are grappling for the puck, but I think I'm doing something wrong because I have maybe seen two faceoffs won even slightly cleanly. Probably 95% of the time, the centers are tying each other up and someone kicks the puck away. Any insight on what I should be doing?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #333
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A few days ago I picked up 2k8 in a package with NBA. Only played a few games against my roommate...definitely fun but haven't played nearly enough to get the controls down. Looking forward to getting back to it this weekend.

Hey Todd, I saw a couple times you talked up 2k's faceoff system. I definitely think it's cool when the guys are grappling for the puck, but I think I'm doing something wrong because I have maybe seen two faceoffs won even slightly cleanly. Probably 95% of the time, the centers are tying each other up and someone kicks the puck away. Any insight on what I should be doing?

I've seen that alot as well. You have to time it almost perfectly in order to get a clean faceoff.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #334
Logan
Head Coach

Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong...thanks.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #335
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong...thanks.

I've been playing NHL 08 almost exclusively since the roster update.

This is a good site and you might find a style you can download and use that might help this: http://www.2khockey.net/forums/index.php?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-22-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #336
Logan
Head Coach

Cool, thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #337
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, after the patch, roster update and Venom's latest v2 final game style, NHL 2k8 is back to being my favorite hockey game.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #338
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Amazon dotd, NHL 2k8 $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=468642
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #339
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Damn MR, this is really tempting me though I really don't have time for another game. Do you know how long this is on sale?

I have played the demo of nhl 08 and had fun with that, controls were easy yet effective. Since hockey isn't my number one thing I was going to get nhl 08 next Aug (mostly to mess around with), with EA's coupon I could probably get it for 15 bucks. Also slightly suspicious my son may have picked up 08 for me for Christmas.

I'm guessing from your previous posts you switched to 2k8 for a more realistic game? How are the controls compared to 08? More complex ie lots of combo button mashing? I also really liked the commentary on the 08 demo. How does the 2k commentary compare?

I'll d'load the demo tonight and give it a try.

edit to add..

With 2k do you have to have a Gold membership to update the rosters?

Last edited by Sweed : 12-10-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #340
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Do you know how long this is on sale?

It's the deal of the day so the sale will end midnight pacific time.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #341
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
It's the deal of the day so the sale will end midnight pacific time.

Thanks wasn't sure if that's what his dotd meant :o (voice from back of room "MORON!" )

Gives me 'til 2 am my time to decide then.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #342
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Damn MR, this is really tempting me though I really don't have time for another game. Do you know how long this is on sale?

I have played the demo of nhl 08 and had fun with that, controls were easy yet effective. Since hockey isn't my number one thing I was going to get nhl 08 next Aug (mostly to mess around with), with EA's coupon I could probably get it for 15 bucks. Also slightly suspicious my son may have picked up 08 for me for Christmas.

I'm guessing from your previous posts you switched to 2k8 for a more realistic game? How are the controls compared to 08? More complex ie lots of combo button mashing? I also really liked the commentary on the 08 demo. How does the 2k commentary compare?

I'll d'load the demo tonight and give it a try.

edit to add..

With 2k do you have to have a Gold membership to update the rosters?

I switched to 2k8 because I played NHL 07 to death and I just don't like NHL 08 that much as the difficulty is really ramped up this year. 2k8 has some issues, but I'm liking it.

Not sure if you need a gold membership or not for rosters as I have one, but I'm pretty sure you do since you have to log into XBL to get them.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #343
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, it's safe to say I love NHL 2k8. I've seen everything in this game!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #344
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Ok, it's safe to say I love NHL 2k8. I've seen everything in this game!

Give me some feedback. What do you like better about it?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #345
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Give me some feedback. What do you like better about it?

Get the latest rosters, download original 6's game style and the game plays a great game of hockey.

I'm just seeing many cool things, glass breaking in my last game on a slapper by Kariya, presentation is much better.. I don't know, after playing NHL 07 to death last year, this game is refreshing - with the right settings, and I believe I've found them.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #346
Galaxy
Coordinator

Picked up the game the other day. It's pretty good. Seems like in one of the games that EA Sports actually gives a crap, they do a pretty good job. Is it ultra realistic? No. However, they are moving towards that direction. Two complaints I have is the lack of defensive line changes and the lack of AI being able to get a powerplay setup. Also, the franchise mode is way too short.

I love the positioning of players. Also, I love that skills actually seem to have more of an impact than ever. A speedy skater gives you a big advantage. A star player on player or a great line (Ottawa's line) just can dominate. Also, having a top-shelf goalie is perheps the key.

Anyone in an online league? We should set up one.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-14-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #347
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Anyone in an online league? We should set up one.

I would love to start one up here, if we can get at least a few guys in the league. I don't have XBL right now, but I would get it if we could get one started.

As an aside, the Jackets had a Hockey Fest at the arena Sunday, and I played NHL 08 on a HUGE screen they had trucked in (probably about 80 inches). I played against Michael Peca (we tied 0-0) and then Rusty Klesla (I beat him 1-0). Such a blast playing against these guys, even though they hadn't played before Sunday. The best part about each game was that the players both took penalties against their video game counterparts (I took TOR against Peca, and the CBJ against Klesla).
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #348
rowech
Pro Starter

I would probably be willing to play depending on time commitment.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #349
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'd play...it would be an easy win for everyone who plays me.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #350
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I would be up for it if the scheduling could work.