Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2003, 08:01 AM   #301
Bee
Pro Starter

You should really obey those no smoking signs...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #302
Thomkal
Head Coach

And the fun continues...

I saw the player that had offered me the cure was online this morning. So I jumped on and he was more than willing to help...but in between lag and constant crashes whenever he accessed his inventory he was unable to help...and he got too close to me and got the Spite himself. So I'm still sick and getting angrier with every passing moment of it.

I see another player has posted on the Avlis boards about having a cure for me, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:42 AM   #303
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way, if you guys with the Spite need help, I might be able to offer my services. I don't get diseases, so I might be a useful courier for the cure, if it comes to that.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-22-2003 at 09:42 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #304
Daimyo
College Starter

Just received this email... posting it incase anyone here didn't receive it. Its very god to hear they're doing something about the lag issue. I haven't been on more than 5 minutes this week because the lag is so bad for me!

Quote:
Hello Avlis Community,

The table of contents for this message is below. If you wish to be removed from this list, send me a personal email and I will do it asap.

Table of Contents:

[1] Mythos Linkup

[2] Serious lag issues

[3] Passwords and closing

[1] Mytos Linkup

Very soon now we will be linking Avlis to Mythos: Isle of Legend. There is a post about this on our boards at: http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=13892 and on the Mythos boards at http://athenaxus.proboards12.com/ind...num=1052601661
Read up and get all the info and updates.

When the link is established permanently, all Avlis members will automatically become Mythos members and all Mythos members will become Avlis members. A mail will be sent out to everyone with the passwords for the servers.

[2] Serious lag issues

Good news and bad news.

Bad news... Optimum online has apparently cut down our bandwith by a LOT. This is causing a huge outcry of lag desperation and problems. We are looking into why they did this, but we believe we won't be able to continue on with this internet subscription.

So the good news...

Fairly soon, perhaps within the next few weeks, we will be moving Avlis to a new connection. The new connection will be a business class cable connection (10 mbs down, 1 mb up) purchased from Lightpath, Inc. (Cablevision) by Blackparadox Enterprises, LLC (me and Silk's company).

HOWEVER, this process of switching over will take TIME. We just became a coporation yesterday, which means we have yet to set up a bank account. I should be getting the documents to do it either tomorrow or this weekend. Once that is done we will STILL have to move the ENTIRE server network over to a new location and REBUILD it from the ground up. If I were a betting man, I would prepare myself for Avlis to be down for a few days within the next few weeks.

Then we will cross our fingers that the connection from Lightpath will be turned on quickly.

This is a rocky time for us for a lot of reasons, but the potential for an explosive growth is immense right now too. If and when we come out of this, we will be one of the fastest and biggest and BEST servers out there. Anyone with a little business knowledge understands what we can do now that we are a corporation.

What can YOU do to help? The connection will cost us $120 per month. Keep donating to the paypal link on our homepage: http://avlis.blackparadox.com . Send me, Orleron, a PM on the boards if you need a snail mail address. Also, we now have an online store where you can buy products from http://www.cafeshops.com/blackparadox . There's not much on there right now, but we plan to have numerous Avlis t-shirts available by the end of next week. The Avlis Map mousepad is available right now, and that may be handy if you want one. Every little bit helps.

[3] Passwords and closing

Here are the passwords for the Avlis servers, for your records:

Address is avlis.blackdagger.netort#

Mikona, port# = 5121 password: ******
Wilderness, port# = 5122 password: ******
Elysia, port # = 5123 password: ******
Le'Or T'Nanshi, port # = 5124 password: ******

We have a lot of exciting things going up once we get rid of this internet demon of lag. Be faithful that the team is aware of the situation and scrambling to do everything we can. If you would like to take a break from Avlis for a few weeks, we understand. But be sure to come back! We'll be bigger than ever and lag problems will likely be a thing of the past no doubt.

Sincerely,

--Orleron
Avlis Team Leader
CEO, Blackparadox Enterprises, LLC

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-22-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #305
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
On the AKN

I was invited to join but have decided against it. My reason is fairly simple: In a world with finite mysteries, an organization like the AKN takes away some of the joy of discovery. I would like to know how to make more things, but tracking down that information will be part of the process. The AKN is like a metagame spoiler.

I was concerned a bit about this as well. I had a blast stumbling onto four basic alchemical formulas. One was told to me, two I "discovered" by intuitively mixing ingredients, and one I overheard when passing two other characters. So I had the same fear when I realized that I was going to be given some of the formulas.

However, it's not as bad as I thought, for four reasons.

1. There are so many combinations of ingredients that you pretty much have to hear them from someone to get them anyway. Randomly mixing and matching ingredients at a table got old quickly.

2. You don't get all the formulas as an apprentice, just the basic ones.

3. Much of the challenge comes from actually getting the ingredients, and being in the guild doesn't change that, as far as I can tell.

4. It's only one field. There are still all the other skill areas left to discover on my own.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #306
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
By the way, if you guys with the Spite need help, I might be able to offer my services. I don't get diseases, so I might be a useful courier for the cure, if it comes to that.

I would love to team up with some people to go out into the wilderness in search of ingredients to make the cure. AC Strider (Arena something) and I have talked about exploring the Elysian wilderness as well.

I'm having trouble with the Elf guards in the wilderness, though, so I'm not sure how wise it is to travel with me now. I think I have to walk in the open, maybe even unarmed, in order to for them to not attack me. Not sure on all this yet, though, but I'm getting attacking quite a bit now. Sucks being a human.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:09 PM   #307
Bee
Pro Starter

Do you have a list of ingredients that are needed?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #308
Daimyo
College Starter

If the lag ever dies down I'd be willing to help explore the wilderness looking for ingredients for the cure... I'm human so I'll probably get it eventually too. I'm not that tough, but I can bring a small army of pets if needed and provide some enhancements for my party members (barksin, bull's strength, etc).

Besides, I was planning to map out the wilderness anyway next time I get to play.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-22-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #309
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, in the Elysian farms, there's a pretty decent mid-level quest - might be worth doing some time when we have a few characters together. If you exit the Dracon Gate, and go to the south farms, there is an orchard (gated). Inside, the owner has lost his daughter... in the southern orchards, for which you get a key.

As my (newly) 8th level monk found out, most of the stuff (beetles) down there he coudl handle solo, but eventually it got too tough. I went back with a decent level (9th or 10th, I think) mage, and we managed to clear the area and find the daughter, for a reasonable reward.

There's also a reasonable opportunity for an alignment adjustment, too.

Anyway - it's probably worth a look, if you have the muscle to handle it.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #310
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quick: I've been to that locked orchard, but couldn't figure out how to get in. Sounds like a good quest.

Thomkal: I bumped into Pollio. He's better now. Bought a cure from someone.

By the way...

The lag sucked today.

Unplayable for me in Elysia.

Went to Mikona (after waiting an hour). It was real sluggish too, and I got dropped quite a bit.

Now the master server is out.

Gurrrrrr.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:41 PM   #311
Daimyo
College Starter

I wonder if maybe the Mythos server is a temporary solution to the lag? Does anyone know how to get to it? Seems we could hop over there for the next few weeks until they get Avlis upgraded...
Old 05-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #312
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fritz and I bumbled around the wilderness near Le'Or T'Nanshi this evening, and came across Gloknall Heartcrusher. But the server crashed just before we got a chance to do anything.

I wonder what he was up to... this is a serious guy, if you haven't folowed the forums. Last I read, he had stolen the 10,000,000gp amulet.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:19 PM   #313
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
quik will post more, but we hit the motherload of money. I ran out of space on robes worth 2000gp each
Old 05-22-2003, 10:11 PM   #314
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Fritz and I bumbled around the wilderness near Le'Or T'Nanshi this evening, and came across Gloknall Heartcrusher. But the server crashed just before we got a chance to do anything.

I wonder what he was up to... this is a serious guy, if you haven't folowed the forums. Last I read, he had stolen the 10,000,000gp amulet.

I've seen him three times now. When I've seen him in the wilderness he's been invisible (for as much sense as that makes), so you only catch glimpses of him. The first time I saw him, he freaked me out. It was in the middle of the Elysian wilderness, in the middle of the night, and there were only one or two other players on the server. I was walking in the middle of nowhere, hadn't seen anyone for two hours, and bang, this mammoth guy with all kinds of stuff bubbling over his head appears, running, right in front of my guy. I nearly shit. Split second later he was gone.

The second time I saw him was leading some of the Order of Gorethar (isn't he the leader?) in attacks against clerics in the Goverment district of Mikona. I have no idea what was up with that.

Last night he appeared for a split second again, as I was making my way to the Fairy Garden.

I read that someone put a reward on his head for something else he did as well.

Interesting character.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #315
ACStrider
High School JV

GB - another note about us going into the wilderness...the elven guards can be easily ignored if you're traveling with me because I can case invisibility on you. =) That should make the guards a lot more friendly.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:00 AM   #316
QuikSand
lolzcat

To follow up on Fritz's comment... we did find quite a bounty in the wilderness near Le'OrT'Nanshi last evening. There were a seemingly endless upply of evil clerics and lizardmen in the area, and each one left behind a loot cache - plenty of +1 spears, valuable magic robes, magical bastard swords, and magic missile amulets. All told, I'm guessing that the two of us raked in something like 75,000 gp over the course of the evening. We were in some danger, and had a few near misses, but never had to be relocated. (And how exactly did we get away with that, I'd ask?)

Perhaps Glocknall's presence was a factor - he might have been triggering some extra numbers of bad guys, as an uber-high character. Regardless, we fough off our fair share of bad guys, and just came across a fairr number of loot bags along the way, too.

Overall, it seems like a worthwhile area to bring a party - the opposition seems to be fairly tough (and perhaps adjusts t the party strength), and there are some meaningful potential rewards for doing well. (Though practically nothing in XP, of course)
Old 05-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #317
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
To follow up on Fritz's comment... we did find quite a bounty in the wilderness near Le'OrT'Nanshi last evening. There were a seemingly endless upply of evil clerics and lizardmen in the area, and each one left behind a loot cache - plenty of +1 spears, valuable magic robes, magical bastard swords, and magic missile amulets. All told, I'm guessing that the two of us raked in something like 75,000 gp over the course of the evening. We were in some danger, and had a few near misses, but never had to be relocated. (And how exactly did we get away with that, I'd ask?)

This might be the location that someone was talking about on the Blackdagger forums, when players were saying that many types of enemies never have treasure, while a few types always have treasure of tremenendous value. One guy claims to be able to make 250k an hour by fighting the types of enemies with such treasure. I think he mentioned lizardmen as one of them. He's probably exaggerating, but the point may still be valid.

The argument some players were making was that it would be better if the treasure were scattered a bit more randomly in Avlis. Right now it seems that an emeny either has treasure or doesn't. Players were arguing for a system where not all lizardmen would have tremendous value, and where some of the lower enemies would occasionally have something of value. Right now, they claimed, it was too predictable. Lizardmen always have lots of valuable treasure; bandits never do.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #318
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Godzilla Blitz, if the cure for the Spite is indeed brownsmoke seeds and bloodyfury crystals, they aren't as hard to find as you might think.

Gallipoli, the "dealer" in Raven's Loft, the inn in the ports in Mikona, sells them right to you. He's easy to find once you go inside--he's the only guy with a name.

The inn is about halfway between the docks and the north end of the district, and about halfway between the Temple District entrance on the north end and the entrance to the slums on the east end. There's a mass of little square buildings in the area; if you go up and down the little corridors, you'll find it somewhere in the middle.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #319
Daimyo
College Starter

Quik and Fritz:

If you guys have any plans to go back to the place with the lizardmen, I'd love to come along. Hopefully the lag won't be too bad... I need an Avlis fix badly.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #320
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Daim,

we can go whenever. The lizzies do NOT generate treasure nuless there is enough CR on the map. Solo the LM had nothing.

HFP, Quik and I went to an elemental tower. the mssion was fun, but interrupted by server failures.

900 to 9th level. I can taste the 5th level spells now...
Old 05-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #321
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I should be around this weekend, and should be on in the evenings 8:30-10:30 CST (maybe later on Sunday night). I'd probably get my ass kicked against lizardmen (I'm just shy of 4th level), but would love to go exploring some of the caves nearby Elysia, or doing some of the easier quests.

In an interesting side note, it looks like the sewers of Elysia might be becoming more interesting. The latest three posts have some news...

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=14061

Chief: Interesting. I logged off this afternoon about 50 yards from the spot you're talking about. If that's the case, Thomkal should be able to go in a buy a fix right away. Good find! I'll try and find the guy this evening.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-23-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:07 PM   #322
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fritz, I am finding that the amulets of magic missile from the fallen clerics seem to only be good for one shot, rather than the 10 indicated. This caused me some real trouble in the elemental tower, as I kept trying to quickslot them (as I had before with my first one) but they kept idsappearing on me after one use. Just FYI... might not be quite as handy as I had originally hoped.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:10 PM   #323
Daimyo
College Starter

Fritz, Quik et al... It sounds like you guys are finding nice areas for mid-levels. Do you guys not get insane lag? I tried to play a little yesterday. Someone opened a goblin pack right outside the mines, so I teamed up with a couple others to kill them. I suffered constant lag of approx 5 seconds every 10 seconds or so. Eventually it lagged out for about a minute before I possessed one of the goblins. I logged out and logged back on to find that I had died in the lag... collected my things and logged out for good.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #324
Thomkal
Head Coach

GB and Chief Rum,

After reading Rum's post I logged in and found the Raven's Loft and the guy who was selling the stuff needed for the cure. That was until the server crashed that is. Who knows where I'll be when I log back in.

Anyway, I'm even more annoyed no one either IC or OOCly could tell me that's where I could find the stuff for the cure. Wasn't in any of the threads I searched either.

I may need a loan depending on how expensive the bloodfury crystals are though.

Thanks so much GB, Chief Rum, and Quik for offering to help. Free healings whenever you need them.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:28 PM   #325
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Random thoughts....

Me and Fritz went into the slavers and cleaned up. I thought it would have been more difficult than it was even though we were lucky in a way to finish off the two "bosses". But that was due to a lack of warning on my part and not Fritz. I think we made about 30000.

That elemental cave is fun too. We did better than I thought there.

The bugbear cave kicked my butt. I will definitely need some help meleeing those.

I predict the same for the minotaur cave also. I fought one and almost died.

When Fritz buffs me up I am a cleaving damage sponge heh.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:58 PM   #326
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Fritz, Quik et al... It sounds like you guys are finding nice areas for mid-levels. Do you guys not get insane lag? I tried to play a little yesterday. Someone opened a goblin pack right outside the mines, so I teamed up with a couple others to kill them. I suffered constant lag of approx 5 seconds every 10 seconds or so. Eventually it lagged out for about a minute before I possessed one of the goblins. I logged out and logged back on to find that I had died in the lag... collected my things and logged out for good.

I've been finding that it varies tremendously from day to day and hour to hour. Yesterday was unplayable for me in Elysia, and only moderately better in Mikona. This afternoon, for the hour I was on, was fine in Mikona. All in all, I'd say it's playable about half the times I try. I usually give it three tries, then give up if it's bad. Playing with bad lag just gets me frustrated.

Be nice when they get the new server up and running.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #327
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
In an interesting side note, it looks like the sewers of Elysia might be becoming more interesting. The latest three posts have some news...

Good twist. I hope the place is riddled with traps... that would be a neat touch.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #328
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Isle of Mythlos connection is up. Check your emails. I still haven't even explored Elysia, so I'm going to be there, but maybe I'll go over to the Isle a little later.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:03 AM   #329
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Fritz, I am finding that the amulets of magic missile from the fallen clerics seem to only be good for one shot, rather than the 10 indicated. This caused me some real trouble in the elemental tower, as I kept trying to quickslot them (as I had before with my first one) but they kept idsappearing on me after one use. Just FYI... might not be quite as handy as I had originally hoped.

then something is wrong with your amulets, or how you are using them. Perhaps it is a class thing. I get 10 uses from the amulets.

The monk needs to work on targeting. The stoneskins were absorbing most of the mis-targeted shots, but our party was near hammered a few times....
Old 05-24-2003, 02:45 AM   #330
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Good twist. I hope the place is riddled with traps... that would be a neat touch.

HA and I explored pretty much the whole place this evening. No traps, no army of kobolds, and no halfliing.

Humm.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:08 AM   #331
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey HA,

You mentioned earlier that you had found a camera hack that worked for you. I'm assuming you used the camera hack program that can be downloaded at the site. Might I ask what camera and angels and zooms you are using? I would like to try it out for yourself, and I figured it might be good if I could piggyback on the work you already have done with this.

Chief Rum

Old 05-24-2003, 04:58 AM   #332
daedalus
Pro Rookie

This thread is a pretty awesome read. Keep up the good work, folks.

With regards to the amount and usage of potions versus the way it is in PnP or being realistic, it seems to be a compromise in favor of gameplay. Most of the MUD I've tinkered with have gone this route, otherwise I would imagine there would be a lot of downtime and either solo'ing or fighting in a small'ish party would probably be pretty difficult.

Out of curiosity, are most or all of you guys playing on broadband? [I am currently amongst the remaining bandwidth-challenge peoples still.]

Quote:
My 8th level gnome mage started to punch (no weapons in hand) one of the 14th level ish OoG types. She nicely hacked me to bits. Lawfull good paladin my ass....

Alright, this is probably WAY stretching it and I highly doubt the person actually thought along this line but . . . if the OoG has become as corrupted and twisted as it is suppose to have become, it wouldn't be out of the question for one of their higher level people to become all high and mighty. After all, the one God that matters (whoever it is, in this case) is on their side.

Besides . . . this is all the better motivation for y'all to work on that plot to mess with them.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:34 AM   #333
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
The monk needs to work on targeting. The stoneskins were absorbing most of the mis-targeted shots, but our party was near hammered a few times....

This, unlike some of my character's bumbling, was out of character - my fault.

With my problems getting them to work properly, I ended up hastily shooting off amulets. I saw that I hit a party member once - if it was more than that... aw, geez.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:37 AM   #334
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

If you have any suggestions, I am open. I still have one amulet that shows me how many shots it has left in it when I quickslot it. But if I use the one right beside it in my inventory, even though everything looks the same, I get no such indication, and it will be spent and disappear after one use.

I've had simimlar things happen with the magical robes (that I cannot wear). I can sell one set for good value, but the next one comes with a response "I have no interest in that." They initially appeared to be identical, but something subtly seems different.

It may be a race or class issue... or perhaps some sort of "regional" coding?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:17 AM   #335
Thomkal
Head Coach

Daedalus,

So when you are signing up to play with us on Avlis? I too am still using dialup.

Thomkal is cured of the Spite now and is currently off to the Romini baths to fight off the addiction. Once I recover I'd love to team up with those around my level (3rd) to get into the swing of things with the character again. Any interest?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #336
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
Daedalus,

So when you are signing up to play with us on Avlis? I too am still using dialup.

Thomkal is cured of the Spite now and is currently off to the Romini baths to fight off the addiction. Once I recover I'd love to team up with those around my level (3rd) to get into the swing of things with the character again. Any interest?

Thomkal,

I just hit fourth level with my fighter, and there seems to be a few regular people on the Elysian board right about that level. We had a group of five last night that went through some Spider caves. Good fun. Come on up (with a character that likes both humans and elves, not that human hater you had last night). I'd love to explore more around the area, and there are a few others as well. Join the AKN, or just start messing with alchemy at Janos' shop, and people will drop by. That place is always busy. Arena (AC Strider) is there a lot later in the night.

Chief,

For the most part, I really like the camera hack. The only thing I did is drop the camera angles down to something like 12 degrees. You really don't have to worry about getting the settings exactly the way you want them, because you can adjust them on the fly (page up=raises camera angle; page down=drops down camera angle; home=maximum zoom in; end=maximun zoom out; mouse wheel=tweaks camera zoom). You can toy with the settings as you go along, and get it just the way you like it.

I find that dropping the angle way down (maybe 12-18 degrees?) and zooming to a couple of notches shy of max zoom makes the game much more immersive, and gives you a much better chance of seeing enemies before they see you. The only problem with the low camera angle is that building and dungeon walls can cut off your view and sometimes do screwy things with the camera, so I end up adjusting things as I go along a lot when I switch locations. After you get the hang of it, it comes second nature.

The game is much more visually striking with the angle lower and zoomed in. Much more of a feeling that you are actually there.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #337
Daimyo
College Starter

I dropped the minimum viewing angle to 0, although ingame i guess I almost always use somewhere between 20 and 30. I also upped the viewing distance to 100 meters and the set the min and max zoom to their respective extremes (5 and 30 I think). Also lowered the camera to the height of a human female (1.65m). I found it GREATLY increased my immersion in the game... no way I could back to the default settings now and get near the same enjoyment out of the game.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #338
QuikSand
lolzcat

Magic belts... any advice? I currently have nothing at all.

I have seen some with the Belt of Abundant Mending, but I hear it's now hard to find - no longer avalable via any merchants.

Are there any other belts out there that might be useful?

Does anyone have any other items that they might like to sell or trade?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:33 AM   #339
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal

I'm glad someone is using dialup without too much problem since I won't be able to pony up for broadband for awhile. This means I can actually fully consider it. Now I just need to get my hands on a copy of NWN. Heh.

It's good to see you back with us again.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:43 AM   #340
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm fiddling around with the camera hack, but as of yet haven't found any real illumination. I'm trying the near-FPS view that Daimyo recommended... I can see the idea, but am having trouble with so many things not quite working well - walls and buildings getting right in front of the "camera," that sort of thing. Heck, as I was first trying it out, I nearly got killed in the Mikona slums... a few bandit mages had me reeling pretty good, mostly because I kept looking at blank walls and couldn't find the bad guys.

I need to give ait a little longer, I suppose.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #341
Daimyo
College Starter

My view isn't really near-FPS... I use max zoom out with an angle somewhere between 20 and 30. The angle is just a bit less than the default min (I think 40) and the zoom is a bit farther out. You can always use page up and page down to change the angle too. I very rarely go below ~20 because the walls really get in your way when you get that low. I did set the min to be 0, but I hardly ever use that and never during combat.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-25-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #342
QuikSand
lolzcat

Gotcha... my misunderstanding. I knoww there are people who are yearning for a more truly FPS view, which it appears was (sort of) available in previous versions of the camera hack.

Daimyo, you have praised the virtues of having farther sight... but elsewhere I have read some criticize this as "cheating." Any thoughts on that? Have you said anything to the Avlis GM people?

I don't have an opinion, but am curious. I have tinkered with my sight distance, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference to me thus far.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #343
QuikSand
lolzcat

If anyone happens to read this in a timely fashion... I am wandering NE T'Nanshi, looking for my things. I am weak, unarmed, and in trouble. Any help would be great.

I'm looking for a spot called Karak Der'ek... it's in the NE somewhere, but i cannot relocate it.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #344
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks like it's too late. It was fun trying to elude everything as best I could (without any potions or any aids at all), but as I type, I'm on my way back to the temple... not on my terms.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #345
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, I'm about to leave my third corpse in the NE T'Nanshi... I guess it's time to give it up. Ugh - lost oots of stuff, it looks like.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #346
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quik,

You arent alone in lost corpses. Lag was really bad for me tonight, rubber banding all over the place and I got to the map where the Mikona Crypt is (not the one outside Mikona) I was exploring a bit, lag hit, and then all of a sudden I was fighting a boar and I think some of the Romini. Crashed while trying to get away. Came back and was unconscious. Died. Went to Elysia, came back to the spot I know I died and no body. Some kind soul could have picked it up and is holding my stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.

Between the Spite, the drug addiction from the cure for it, and now losing everything I own possibly, I believe I give up on Avlis.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:41 PM   #347
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't consider it cheating to extend the viewable distance because you still can't see enemies to infinity... It does let you see them before you could see them otherwise, but it seems to be an actual ingame function that determines when you begin to see them. I think it might be wisdom based because I've noticed that my druid (16 WIS) can see things pretty consistantly well while the wizard I'm playing solo while waiting for the lag to go away (10 WIS) has a hard time seeing enemies until he's pretty close, and its very inconistant to when he can see them. I think WIS is the key stat for spot, so I imagine it is a behind the scenes spot check to determine when you can see enemies you approach.

I didn't talk to anyone there, but I sort of assumed if they link to it on their downloads page without any disclaimers about what you can and can't do, that it is fair game. The thing that first led me to try it was that one time a high level character (Fjorlin Hammerhands or something like that) rescued me when I got lost in T'nanshi and ran into a bunch of Vampire Warriors at lvl 5. He was shooting arrows at enemies well before they were on my screen... so I sort of figured if a high level, highly respected character is using it AND they advertise it on the downloads page, it must be legit.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #348
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it's been a rough day. Sorry to hear that, guys.

Thomkal, don't give up so easily. You have been through too much. If you need some capital to get your feet underneath you again (i.e. you need some cash for new equipment), look for me online. I'll help you out.

Chief Rum

Old 05-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #349
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
I don't consider it cheating to extend the viewable distance because you still can't see enemies to infinity... It does let you see them before you could see them otherwise, but it seems to be an actual ingame function that determines when you begin to see them. I think it might be wisdom based because I've noticed that my druid (16 WIS) can see things pretty consistantly well while the wizard I'm playing solo while waiting for the lag to go away (10 WIS) has a hard time seeing enemies until he's pretty close, and its very inconistant to when he can see them. I think WIS is the key stat for spot, so I imagine it is a behind the scenes spot check to determine when you can see enemies you approach.

Skill based, (listen, spot).
Old 05-26-2003, 03:49 AM   #350
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Basic Alvis Principles:

1. Accidentally shooting an Elf Ranger in a crowded elf inn in a crowded elf city is not conducive to living a long time.

2. If you run into someone called Arena, and she suggests going to the Forests of Midnight, the correct answer is "No".

3. Remember how you got somewhere. This comes in very handy when you are naked and looking for your corpse. You'll know what I mean when the time comes.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-26-2003 at 02:43 PM.