Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #301
sabotai
General Manager

I can understand frustrations, but I can also understand the problems the dev team is having. You can't just spend money and suddenly have problems in the code disappear.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #302
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I know you can't throw money at things and fix them right away, but these things are very frustrating to consumers who pay a monthly fee. My sub is up in 1.5 weeks and I think I'm gonna cancel. I honestly haven't played hardly at all this month, and when I tried to play it 4 times in one week, 3 of the times the server went down! When I don't play it that much, it's ridiculous to have it down 75% of the time I want to play the game. Sad. I may pick it up again here in a few months, but I've been playing Phantom Dust for Xbox and that $20 is a much better deal than WoW's monthly fee for something I don't use much.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 AM   #303
sabotai
General Manager

Damn that sucks. Have you tried a new server (is yours one that they transfer characters off of?). Lothar isn't down nearly that much. Aside from some lag here and there (usually in IF of course), it's been pretty stable (compared to the average server of other MMORPGs).

But, if you're not happy, you should cancel. I can't stand those guys on the WoW boards who act like they are being forced to pay and play the game. If you're not happy, cancel and don't pay. If enough cancel, it'll hurt Blizzard and they'll make changes the best they can.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #304
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Damn that sucks. Have you tried a new server (is yours one that they transfer characters off of?). Lothar isn't down nearly that much. Aside from some lag here and there (usually in IF of course), it's been pretty stable (compared to the average server of other MMORPGs).

But, if you're not happy, you should cancel. I can't stand those guys on the WoW boards who act like they are being forced to pay and play the game. If you're not happy, cancel and don't pay. If enough cancel, it'll hurt Blizzard and they'll make changes the best they can.

*cough*

Not down that much?

It's dropped virtually every single day in March?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #305
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
*cough*

Not down that much?

It's dropped virtually every single day in March?

Are you asking me a question? I find it fascinating how many times I see statements ended with a question mark on message forums. Well, if you're asking me a question, then the answer is no. I played WoW "virtually every single day in March" and it dropped on me...maybe once. And the one time it might have dropped on me, I logged right back in and was playing again. So 2, maybe 4 or 5, seconds out of a day doesn't seem to qualify as "down the much" to me.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-31-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:08 PM   #306
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wow, you're really lucky. Significant downtime (more than 15-30 minutes) occurred 4 of the 5 times I've played it in the last month. That's significant when my time windows are small. I just cancelled my sub. and basically said the same thing in the "comments" section. Oh well, I'll prob pick it back up in a few months. I still have 10 days of PT left.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #307
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've never been dropped. A couple of times (immediately post-patch), I couldn't authenticate, and once I had a queue, but I've never been dropped.

However, I picked a very low-pop server, and a RP one to boot, and I think this has had a lot to do with it.

Now that I know how much work goes into developing a character, I think I'd be a bit ticked off if I was on a more populated server, and I really couldn't continue with that character because of drops.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #308
sabotai
General Manager

Do you always try to play at the same time and on the same days, or is it sporadic? (Edit: flere snucked me. Question was directed to king. )

Last edited by sabotai : 03-31-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #309
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Are you asking me a question? I find it fascinating how many times I see statements ended with a question mark on message forums. Well, if you're asking me a question, then the answer is no. I played WoW "virtually every single day in March" and it dropped on me...maybe once. And the one time it might have dropped on me, I logged right back in and was playing again. So 2, maybe 4 or 5, seconds out of a day doesn't seem to qualify as "down the much" to me.

Every day I played in March the server went down at least once - one continent, another or the whole thing, but it went down.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #310
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Every day I played in March the server went down at least once - one continent, another or the whole thing, but it went down.

Hm, well, don't know what to say. I played every day and it didn't for me. Guess the game hates you.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #311
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

With two level 60 characters, it couldn't have been down that much
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #312
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It has gone down quite a bit for me since the 2/33 patch. It seems like I'm lucky to get 15 minutes without being booted. Add what has become a ton of lag recently and it does get very frustrating.

Anyone else get this problem? Since the 3/29 patch I keep getting instances where I suddenly cannot move forwards or backwards. Everything else within range works but I cannot move. Even rebinding the keys doesn;t fix it. I have to log off and back on to clear it. I haven't noticed a pattern as to what causes it yet.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #313
Danny
Head Coach

I have not had that problem. How much RAM do you have?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 PM   #314
Schmidty
Coordinator

I haven't been down even once on Bronzebeard. Been lucky I guess.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 AM   #315
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do you always try to play at the same time and on the same days, or is it sporadic? (Edit: flere snucked me. Question was directed to king. )

This was 1-2 weeks ago, but I played it like Sun/Tue/Wed/Thu around either 6-10 PM...three of the nights it went out at almost the same time, 9:20 PM or so. I know it's a popular time, but when my buddies are only on at primetime, I need to play it then. I'm on Elune, a medium-high server. Maybe I'll have some fun with it this weekend.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #316
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
It has gone down quite a bit for me since the 2/33 patch. It seems like I'm lucky to get 15 minutes without being booted. Add what has become a ton of lag recently and it does get very frustrating.

Anyone else get this problem? Since the 3/29 patch I keep getting instances where I suddenly cannot move forwards or backwards. Everything else within range works but I cannot move. Even rebinding the keys doesn;t fix it. I have to log off and back on to clear it. I haven't noticed a pattern as to what causes it yet.

This is a known problem...

It doesn't happen to me often, but it does happen - usually after a lag spike, which have become more common since the patch.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #317
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Welp, my character is still gone.. and no in game response to a ticket i sent.. ah well.. dunno if i have the desire to level another character to 60..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #318
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
With two level 60 characters, it couldn't have been down that much

Pep's not quite to 60, but very close.

/played < 10 days.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #319
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Um, has anyone been able to actually use the Meeting Stones yet? They've not been working for me (Ragefire Chasm & Wailing Caverns).
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #320
Danny
Head Coach

There is a min and max level requirement. They currently dont work very well anyway. They need a higher max level and capital cities need a meeting stones room in addition to the ones found near the instance.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #321
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Is there a resource somewhere which lists the # of items per stack that can be stacked? For instance, I know 10 light leathers makes a stack, 20 peaceblooms makes a stack, etc....

Since I tend to bank various materials (I'm doing herbalism & skinning, which is making me very decent money), until I have a stack, knowing how much is a stack would be useful.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #322
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Currently I'm experimenting between:

1. Auctioning stacks of mats (materials) with no buyout price.
2. Auctioning stacks of mats with a buyout price.
3. Auctioning whatever # of mats I have (not full stacks) with no buyout price.

My conclusions so far seem pretty straightforward. For more common mats, such as linen cloth, peacebloom, silverleaf, and light leather, it seems to make sense to collect full mats, check the going prices, and then peg your buyout price within that range. If you don't set a buyout, they may not actually sell, or will sell for very little. If you don't collect a full set, they may also not sell.

However, for less-common mats (swiftthistle, for instance, which isn't exactly rare), simply putting them up for auction without a buyout price, and not in a full stack, seems the way to go.

Again, it's all supply-and-demand. For common mats, you're essentially acting as a vendor. For rarer mats (either they're rare, or people just can't be bothered to gather them), it's a seller's market.

Obviously it varies greatly depending on realm.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 04-01-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #323
sabotai
General Manager

FWIW, I never buy anything without a buyout price, no matter what it is.

And your previous question, every herb that I have every seen stacked at 20, and all leather stuff stacked at 10 (with thread and stuff stacking to 20). Both thottbot and allakhazam list stack numbers for items.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #324
Danny
Head Coach

Except for perhaps high gold purple items that go for hundreds+ gold, always list a buy out.

I dropped skinning and picked up alchemy. Its costing me a lot of gold to train it up.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 AM   #325
Blackadar
Retired

Since they changed out the hardware a week ago, the servers seem to be much better. I really haven't been playing as much (house-hunting) but when I have been on it's been stable.

Pepper is now 60 and went to MC last night. About 38 of us dropped Lucifron but it took about 5 tries. He's a beast.

Blackadar is now 28. I'm finding the warrior much easier the 2nd time around. In addition, I'm able to funnel money and even equipment from my 2 60s to him. I occasionally do a SM run with my rogue, get a bunch of low level greens and send them to my fighter. He then cherry-picks the best equipment and disenchants the rest of it. They occasionally send gold, too.

Finally, I'm keeping my warrior well-rested, meaning I get double exp on each kill. It's pitifully easy to level. I literally gained a level in 45 mins this morning before work. I was fully rested, started doing the raptor quest series in the Wetlands and turned 28 just as I was leaving - 45 minutes elapsed, max. I guess that's what good equipment and full rest exp can do for you.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #326
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Came across a new term the other day that I don't understand. What's a "silver elite"? And why would I care?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 AM   #327
MikeVic
Head Coach

How would one go about fidnign the value of an item? I got a Frostreaver Crown tonight, and want to know how much I can sell it for?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #328
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Came across a new term the other day that I don't understand. What's a "silver elite"? And why would I care?

Silver elites are like named spawns in everquest.. rare spawns that usually drop loot.. most rare spawns are actually on timers.. (8 hours if i recall correctly)
Old 04-11-2005, 07:58 AM   #329
Blackadar
Retired

I've started serious farming for my epic mount. The old ones didn't excite me much. The ones on the test servers look awesome.

So I've brought Ronsinn out of retirement to farm. In 2 very short days, I went from 90g to 200g. This morning I went treasure hunting before work and wound up with 2 blues (both level 40+).

In addition, where I'm hunting, I get an assload of cloth (mageweave). I'm sending it all to my now level 29 fighter who is a tailor. He is *almost* able to use it and he should be able to pump out some decent stuff. I may disenchant it or sell it, I'm not sure. But he has about 100 bolts of mageweave in the bank now.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #330
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wow. That's some serious farming.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #331
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Wow. That's some serious farming.

Maybe 4 hours worth.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #332
Danny
Head Coach

If Blackadar got two BOE blues then he surely could have made that much gold in 4 hours. Without the blues, it takes a little longer. If your main is an enchanter Blackie, I would suggest stealth farming all of the bosses in SM, Uldaman, Razorfen etc... You can get all the blues rather quickly, disenchant and make a lot of money selling the shards.

I am still playing Pondura, I have been to Molten Core once and failed on Lucifron, and tried taking down both Lord Kazzak and the other new raid boss and failed. I have 5 manned all the way through Scholomance as both a tank and a healer. I have 5 manned Stratholme once and dire maul once as healers. I'm not in a raiding guild, so I take what I can get. These instances are way more fun trying to 5 man them then going with 20 people and not even trying. The improved loot next patch will help too.

After I get my epic mount I will probably start playing with another character also. Not sure what class. It wont be a warlock or hunter, but I am not sure about the rest.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #333
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
If Blackadar got two BOE blues then he surely could have made that much gold in 4 hours. Without the blues, it takes a little longer. If your main is an enchanter Blackie, I would suggest stealth farming all of the bosses in SM, Uldaman, Razorfen etc... You can get all the blues rather quickly, disenchant and make a lot of money selling the shards.

I am still playing Pondura, I have been to Molten Core once and failed on Lucifron, and tried taking down both Lord Kazzak and the other new raid boss and failed. I have 5 manned all the way through Scholomance as both a tank and a healer. I have 5 manned Stratholme once and dire maul once as healers. I'm not in a raiding guild, so I take what I can get. These instances are way more fun trying to 5 man them then going with 20 people and not even trying. The improved loot next patch will help too.

After I get my epic mount I will probably start playing with another character also. Not sure what class. It wont be a warlock or hunter, but I am not sure about the rest.

Actually, the two blues were not even included in the gold I received. I just got those in a 7 AM Hinterlands run and haven't even put them up for auction yet. Danny, the only challenge is that it's not my rogue that's the enchanter - it's my warrior. Almost all of that stuff is BoP, so I can't even mail it to him for disenchant. It sucks that I can't trade it to characters on my own account.

But I do a number of SM runs for low-level greens for disenchant and to outfit my warrior with gear. I don't make any money, but I do have an abundant supply of various dusts for enchants. I haven't yet gone into Ulda to farm because I don't know it that well and Razorfen is a long way from anywhere. I tend to stick close to the Hinterlands/Plaguelands/SM area.

My mage has been to MC and taken down Luc - only the 2nd Alliance guild to do so on Lothar. But I don't spend hardly any time in other instances and don't have my Onyxia key on either 60 character.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #334
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Hmm blackie.. what the heck are you farming exactly? hah :P
Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #335
Danny
Head Coach

We were very close to taking Lucifron down. Our 4th try we had him, but the dogs respawned and that took us down. I dont have the key to Onyxia yet either. I am somewhat limited since my guild is small, I need to find pickup groups.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #336
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

A late addition to the crowd, I have a lvl 10 Orc Warlock named Schizm on Windrunner. Debating which class I want to concentrate on as my friends in game could really use a priest, but I just don't know if I could play that and have fun.

So far it's a blast, running around doing quests continuously and exploring a new world. Unfortunately I have to split time between this and EQ2 as my wife has no interest in trying WoW yet and she was just named an officer in our guild there.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #337
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Silver elites are like named spawns in everquest.. rare spawns that usually drop loot.. most rare spawns are actually on timers.. (8 hours if i recall correctly)

Aarrgghh. I was afraid of that. I don't generally have that kind of time to look these guys up.

Grilge is now at 28 and is a damage-machine.

Finally, finally finished Wailing Caverns the other night. I went in with two groups over two days. They couldn't have been more different.

The first group had a druid, a rogue, and 2 warlocks. Wow. Bad. I've heard about warlocks & hunters having problems with their pets in instances, after the latest patch, but whether it was because of this or because they were just lousy (and I'm leaning towards the second explanation, based on their other actions) we routinely had multiple, multiple adds.

Pretty often the only thing that saved us was me, an "overpowered" (for the instance), mage, doing the following:

1. Grab the aggro from the druid, who's about to die.
2. Nuke the boss (if necessary).
3. AoE & CC everyone else.

Yep, that's me, the super-tank/DPS/AoE/CC-mage!

Anyway, this group finally wiped heading up to the final boss when we the pets pulled about 5 evil druids and at least 10 deviate shamblers. I immediately left the group and rezzed in disgust.

The second group, however, was much better. These four guys were advertising for a mage and knew exactly where to go and what to do. Two druids, one tanking and one healing, one warrior, and one shaman. We blew through there like a hot knife through butter. This group was so good they didn't really need me for about 90% of the instance. The pulls were always minimum, they grouped the mobs well for AoE attacks, I never had to worry about aggro, and noone hit my sheep. In fact, the only time they really needed me was for added nukage on some of the bosses.

Excellent stuff. A good group goes a long way.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to get some good advice for a 28-level mage on places to farm for items/money as well as where to find some cool elites I can take on solo.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #338
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Showing my newbie title here. What is farming?

Last edited by EagleFan : 04-11-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #339
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Showing my newbie title here. What is farming?

Grinding the same mobs over and over again for gold - not for levels.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #340
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #341
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I've heard about warlocks & hunters having problems with their pets in instances, after the latest patch, but whether it was because of this or because they were just lousy (and I'm leaning towards the second explanation, based on their other actions) we routinely had multiple, multiple adds.

I'm amazed at how many hunters (and warlocks I guess) don't have enough sense to put their pets on passive when in an instance. In fact, I generally have my pet for my hunter set to passive at all times.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #342
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I picked up one of the most expensive non items in game tonight...

Codex: Prayer of Fortitude rank 2.. thank god too.. i was getting ready to put a 400+g bounty down on it
Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #343
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm amazed at how many hunters (and warlocks I guess) don't have enough sense to put their pets on passive when in an instance. In fact, I generally have my pet for my hunter set to passive at all times.

I've also had bad experience with hunter's pets.

One other thing I hate when in an instance is if I'm expected to tank... I'm a rogue, and although I realize that I don't serve a pre-defined purpose in a group, I feel like rogues aren't the best of tanks. :P
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #344
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I've also had bad experience with hunter's pets.

One other thing I hate when in an instance is if I'm expected to tank... I'm a rogue, and although I realize that I don't serve a pre-defined purpose in a group, I feel like rogues aren't the best of tanks. :P

Rogues are awful tanks. They can add damage or off-tank any nearby mages, but they should never be a main tank.

Tanks (in order)

1. Warrior
2. Paladin
3. Hunter's Pet
4. Druid in Bear Form
5. Shaman
6. Rogue
7. Warlock's Pet
8. Hunter
9. Priest
10. Mage
11. Warlock

If the rogue is tanking, you have a major problem with the group makeup.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #345
Blackadar
Retired

Speaking of tanks, I'm loving my warrior (post-patch).

1. The new additional rage generation makes it easier to kill things.
2. My rogue's farming of SM has him outfitted with top-notch (green) gear.

Since the warrior is so gear-dependent, this is an awesome combo.

Weilding a two-handed sword, I can just destroy anything my level. And the nice thing about a warrior is that we're often better with some rage generation, even at the expense of health. So I'll kill one mob and go to the next with only 2/3rd health, but kill them so quickly I'll only be down to 1/2 health. Kill one more mob, bandage and I'm on my way!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #346
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wouldn't you put a Voidwalker ahead of a Rogue for tanking?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #347
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Wouldn't you put a Voidwalker ahead of a Rogue for tanking?

Probably not. Blueberries aren't very sturdy. I can go through one in just a couple of seconds.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #348
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Rogues are awful tanks. They can add damage or off-tank any nearby mages, but they should never be a main tank.

Tanks (in order)

1. Warrior
2. Paladin
3. Hunter's Pet
4. Druid in Bear Form
5. Shaman
6. Rogue
7. Warlock's Pet
8. Hunter
9. Priest
10. Mage
11. Warlock

If the rogue is tanking, you have a major problem with the group makeup.

Can a hunter's pet Main tank all of Scholomance in a 5 man group? I did so with bear form. A properly equipped druid in Bear form is the 2nd best tank to a warrior. A paladin is a little behind due to their lack of a taunt ability.

Last edited by Danny : 04-12-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #349
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Can a hunter's pet Main tank all of Scholomance in a 5 man group? I did so with bear form. A properly equipped druid in Bear form is the 2nd best tank to a warrior. A paladin is a little behind due to their lack of a taunt ability.

Probably so if spec'd right and if they're a good player. I've played with druids tanking with various degrees of success. Some have been fantastic...others awful.

The pet's ability to hold aggro (growl) is pretty good.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #350
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Probably so if spec'd right and if they're a good player. I've played with druids tanking with various degrees of success. Some have been fantastic...others awful.

The pet's ability to hold aggro (growl) is pretty good.

Im not exactly speced to be a tank (11 in feral), but yes it does depend on the player. It takes skill to tank with a druid and it also requires some decent groupmates. You can't have a mage throwing everything they got at a mob in the first 3 seconds of a boss fight. In the 60 instances a hunter's pet cant tank since they die in two hits.