Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #301
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
GOD I FUCKING HATE THE PATRIOTS

This is all I hear when Troy talks about the Patriots.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #302
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
lol

I'm agree. I think PFT went WAY over the top with that one.

Hah. Yeah, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #303
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The fact that he took less money to stay in New England suggests that he knew (or feared) that he might not be able to replicate his success in a system that doesn't involve videotaping defensive signals.

What kind of assinine conclusion is that? I mean, he might have been worried that he wouldn't be as successful elsewhere, but how does that imply he knew there was cheating? It might just mean he knew that he was in a successful system and there was no reason to fuck with it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #304
st.cronin
General Manager

Tom Brady did not take less money to stay in New England. He took less money from the Patriots, yes, but his total earning potential as a Patriot is much higher than it would be for any other team.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #305
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

LOL at PFT.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #306
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for proving our point, PFT.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #307
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

When I saw this thread went another 3 pages since I last posted I figured surely something new had been brought up (news about the defensive mics ect) but I see it's just another 3 more pages about the 'persecuted' Pats.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #308
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree with all that.

I just don't see where any Patriots fans are being assholes in this thread.

I'm just speaking to your defense of the hypothetical that Patriots fans are assholes. You seemed to justify the possibility by the fact that you "suffered" through a decade of poor seasons. I think this whole damned thread is full of people defending themselves from insults/accusations that have not occurred in this thread (on both sides).

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #309
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

From Yahoo Sports

Quote:
New England coach Bill Belichick still won't comment on Patriots' alleged spying

When did this become alleged?

They have the tape, the commissioner has found them guilt, and Belichick hasn't even denied it.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #310
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Point of order the commissioner has NOT found them guilty yet, all that's coming from is Mortenson.. but yes, Belichick has pretty much admitted it.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #311
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
You seemed to justify the possibility by the fact that you "suffered" through a decade of poor seasons. insults

That wasn't my point, I was just expressing how weird it is to be a fan of a horrible team, and then suddenly, when they start winning, you can't get through a discussion of the team without people bringing up how their fans suck.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #312
Kodos
Resident Alien

Too much success creates bad fans. It brings in the bandwagoners, and it makes longtime fans arrogant and cocky (but not funny). A fact of life in sports.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #313
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Point of order the commissioner has NOT found them guilty yet, all that's coming from is Mortenson.. but yes, Belichick has pretty much admitted it.

If you can't trust Chris Mortensen, who can you trust?
< /sarcasm >

I stand corrected.

Mortensen reported: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches.

But Goodell hasn't officially said anything yet.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #314
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The status was the Goodell said that it looked like they had violated the rule, but the Patriots had not yet responded. Belichick has since responded about their interpretation of the rules. No information on what Goodell thinks after the Patriots response.

If you will, the Grand Jury found grounds to prosecute, the prosecution has laid out its case, the defense has rested, and we're still waiting to hear what the judge's decision is.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #315
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Would be the funniest thing ever if the commissioner issued no penalties in this case.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #316
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Would be the funniest thing ever if the commissioner issued no penalties in this case.

No. But banning Belichick from the league would be.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #317
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
No. But banning Belichick from the league would be.

he would not accept it
Old 09-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #318
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Too much success creates bad fans.
Yet another reason that Leaf Nation are the greatest fans in the world.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #319
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Or fined Mangini for being a tattle-tale.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #320
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yet another reason that Leaf Nation are the greatest fans in the world.

Heh heh
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #321
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yet another reason that Leaf Nation are the greatest fan in the world.

Fixed it for you.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #322
Atocep
Coordinator

Dr Z addresses this in his latest column. Some very interesting stuff in it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Quote:
Last year the Lions played the Patriots in Foxboro. At one point their coach, Rod Marinelli, phoned up to the press box, "There's a camera pointed right at our defensive coach making his calls. Is that allowed?" A Lions' employee called the NFL booth. No, it certainly was not. So the videotaper was stopped. Then after a while he began again. The same process was repeated and he was asked to stop again.

Quote:
"At one point we had a good drive going against the Patriots," said one Lion who doesn't want his name involved in this mess, but was willing to talk about it. "Mike Martz really had 'em going. They were getting fouled up, lining up wrong, we were moving the ball. Then boom, the headset from the sidelines to the coaches' booth goes out.

"Next possession we were moving the ball again and the same thing happened. You know it only takes two or three plays to mess up a drive."
Matt Millen, the Lions' GM, was talking to Bengals' coach Marvin Lewis at the league meetings. He started telling him the story.

"Yeah, I know," Lewis said. "Headset went out. It happened to me in Foxboro, too."

Quote:
As a former Patriots employee, Jets coach Eric Mangini must have known what was going on. So why didn't he have some kind of system of dummy calls set up to foul up the video surveillance?

"He did," says a former Patriots employee whose name cannot be used for obvious reasons. "He had three sets of signals being given, one real, two dummy. He had the same thing going when he beat the Patriots last year. But still, it means extra work, changing the way you prepare for a game. It means both clubs are not playing on the same level field, and that's what's wrong about it."

Last edited by Atocep : 09-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #323
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As a Lions fan, let me just say that if you have to cheat to beat the Lions you really DO have a problem.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #324
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
As a Lions fan, let me just say that if you have to cheat to beat the Lions you really DO have a problem.

I bet Matt Millen is now kicking himself for not trading those 1st round picks for stealth video equipment.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #325
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think Millen did try to buy a competitive advantage, but he gave the cassh to Charles Rogers and Mike Williams and ended up with a dime bag and a sack of doughnuts.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #326
watravaler
High School JV

I expect ESPN/NFL to furiously direct all blame/punishment on BB, and BB alone. This thing needs to be crushed without airing the leagues truly dirty laundry. IMO, this taints everything about the BB era Patriots. History will certainly frown upon the dynasty. The golden boy QB may look a bit different without the benefit of seeing the opponents cards...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #327
wade moore
lolzcat

If there was ever any factual evidence of the headset claims produced, that would be damning for the Pats - FAR more dramatic than this fiasco with the camera. The camera is bad, but as others have said it's not some over the top advantage. But if there really was proof that they are jamming the headset signals of other teams...

That being said, I'd be at least somewhat surprised if it were true and shocked if there is any real proof.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #328
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
If there was ever any factual evidence of the headset claims produced, that would be damning for the Pats - FAR more dramatic than this fiasco with the camera. The camera is bad, but as others have said it's not some over the top advantage. But if there really was proof that they are jamming the headset signals of other teams...

That being said, I'd be at least somewhat surprised if it were true and shocked if there is any real proof.
Well, one thing that will change is that IF the Pats actually jammed headsets, that practice will stop now that all this is hitting the media. ...but if these occurrences were simply mechanical failure (occam's razor), this seemingly gives free reign for it to be a post game topic should it occur again. Kinda like UFO sightings...if someone sees something weird in the sky, it's no big deal...but if you see something weird and you recently saw a program on UFO's, then you start to say you saw a UFO.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #329
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This will all blow over. Until next year when the media pumps it up again around draft time when their spot is skipped.

I don't care what anyone says, it's not a big deal. Note Pats haters, I am not defending them or saying they shouldn't be penalized.

Sad I need to add that disclaimer.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #330
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Well, one thing that will change is that IF the Pats actually jammed headsets, that practice will stop now that all this is hitting the media. ...but if these occurrences were simply mechanical failure (occam's razor), this seemingly gives free reign for it to be a post game topic should it occur again. Kinda like UFO sightings...if someone sees something weird in the sky, it's no big deal...but if you see something weird and you recently saw a program on UFO's, then you start to say you saw a UFO.

You are spot on.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #331
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
This will all blow over. Until next year when the media pumps it up again around draft time when their spot is skipped.

I don't care what anyone says, it's not a big deal. Note Pats haters, I am not defending them or saying they shouldn't be penalized.

Sad I need to add that disclaimer.
And Pats fans really can't figure out where the "haters" are coming from...
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #332
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Interesting. First Day Pick (Don't think it will be a first rounder, probably a 2nd rounder), and a possible 2-3 week suspension of Belichick, to start after week 2) is what's being reported right now.

I think it's rather fair (harsh if it's a first rounder, 2nd rounder seems right), but let the conspiracy theories flow that Belichick would be available for the Chargers game, but miss games against the Bills, Bengals and Browns (two out of three that the Patriots could likely win without Belichick on the sidelines, and the third that would be more of a pickem or favor the Bengals)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-13-2007 at 06:14 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #333
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Troy, when they start suspending most players long-term for juice abuse that leads to shutting down teams and postponing your precious NFL, call me. Otherwise, just continue your hypocritical indignation.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #334
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Interesting. First Day Pick (Don't think it will be a first rounder, probably a 2nd rounder), and a possible 2-3 week suspension of Belichick, to start after week 2) is what's being reported right now.

I think it's rather fair (harsh if it's a first rounder, 2nd rounder seems right), but let the conspiracy theories flow that Belichick would be available for the Chargers game, but miss games against the Bills, Bengals and Browns (two out of three that the Patriots could likely win without Belichick on the sidelines, and the third that would be more of a pickem or favor the Bengals)

Apparently, According to ESPN's John Clayton, it's not going to be a first rounder because the NFLPA thinks it will hurt the player pool (one less new player coming in making 2+ million a year to start, I guess).

I don't like that reasoning, but understand that if they mess too much with the draft, the NFLPA can probably drag it out with the arbitrators and the like, and the NFL wants to put it behind them.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #335
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

I highly doubt that.

This will follow the Pats around, at least this season. If they lose decisively to the Chargers, the rumblings will be it's because they're now playing clean (which is an insult to the Chargers).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #336
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I highly doubt that.

This will follow the Pats around, at least this season. If they lose decisively to the Chargers, the rumblings will be it's because they're now playing clean (which is an insult to the Chargers).
Yeah - this has to come up after every loss, especially if they have more than people expect them to this year.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #337
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
And Pats fans really can't figure out where the "haters" are coming from...

I'd say that about any team, Pats, Colts, Jets, whoever. This whole thing is stupid.

I posted the first link to this story in the game day thread, had no clue it would break out in the way it has.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #338
wade moore
lolzcat

ESPN just reported during the WVU game that the Pats forfeit their 1st rounder if they make the playoffs.

I didn't have the sound on, so I don't know what happens if they don't make it - I'm assuminga 2nd. Did anyone else hear?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #339
henry296
College Starter

Decision from NFL:

Belichick fines 500K, Pats fined 250K and lose 1st round pick if make playoffs.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #340
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
ESPN just reported during the WVU game that the Pats forfeit their 1st rounder if they make the playoffs.

I didn't have the sound on, so I don't know what happens if they don't make it - I'm assuminga 2nd. Did anyone else hear?

BB fined $500,000. $New England fined 250,000. Patriots lose a 1st rounder if they make the playoffs or a 2nd and 3rd rounder if they miss the playoffs.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #341
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

No suspension, though.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #342
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

ESPN.com says 2nd and 3rd if miss playoffs.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #343
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Seems pretty fair, but probaly should have gotten at least a 1 game suspension.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.

Last edited by Mantle2600 : 09-13-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #344
wade moore
lolzcat

Anyone else find it backwards that BB is fined double what the team is?

Maybe it's just me but it seems that this has to be pretty sanctioned by the team - plus the team hurts from a fine less than an individual does.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #345
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Pats have the 49ers 1st rounder this year, though, correct?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #346
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Has this been posted yet?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #347
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

1st rounder is way too much. Should have been a 2nd or a 3rd and a 1 game suspension. But my homer satus definitely comes though in this .

Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #348
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
BB fined $500,000. $New England fined 250,000. Patriots lose a 1st rounder if they make the playoffs or a 2nd and 3rd rounder if they miss the playoffs.

They should have been banned from the playoffs this year.

As far as the NFLPA goes, the players are participants in the cheating. Doesn't give them much of a case against one less first round money slot.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #349
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Troy, when they start suspending most players long-term for juice abuse that leads to shutting down teams and postponing your precious NFL, call me. Otherwise, just continue your hypocritical indignation.

Bucc, I consider you a friend, but could you please get a grip.

1) I didn't suggest Beli should or would get suspended. I suggested they lose a first round pick and that it be given to the Jets.

2) There is a system in place for juice abuse if they get caught during testing. I understand more are users. How many more? I dunno. Neither do you. But the NFL has a system in place to deal with them. This continues the justification for cheating. There is no justification and that has to stop. (and I'll say the same damned thing when a player gets caught with roids in his system. I don't give a damn if EVERY player is doing it in the league. you know the rules, you chose not to follow, you get what you deserve. Period.)
I've bashed baseball players who have done roids. I've bashed cheaters. I'm not inconsistent in my indignation of those types of people.

Some other comments:

St. Cronin: Of course, I hate the Pats. That's what the entire ten point rebuttal was about. In fact, all I did in there was attack the Pats, right? I didn't say they were a good team who didn't need to do it. I didn't give specific reasons why I thought Beli was in the wrong on this. I made irrational statements like saying the game should be forfeited or that the Pats shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs for two years. It was pure, 100%, unadulterated hate. You caught me.

As for the Pats building a league wide DNA, I'm proud of em. Curious though. . . Does this camera operate based off of where the defensive signal caller is standing? So you have to point a camera right at their signal caller and then it shows a wide angle shot of all the other guys on the sideline and their reactions to the play? You can have a note taker tracking players body language, reactions and noting their movements. You don't need the defensive play call to do that.

The commish ruled and now it's over in my book. The Pats will continue winning games. Brady is a great QB (an ALL TIME great QB) and he won't suddenly suck because the camera is off. Beli will continue putting terrific defensive game plans out there, because that's what he does. And the Patriots will think long and hard before they openly defy the commish again. (or any team. If my Broncos cheated the cap again, I'm sure I wouldn't see a first rounder in Denver for three or more years. It just strengthens the belief I held and voice earlier in the thread) We won't know for years the total impact the stealing of signals had, so it isn't really worth worrying about at this point.

One last thing: Go Patriots. (this week) Beat the hell out of the Chargers.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #350
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Dan Marino said it would be a huge advantage (even bigger in no huddle) because you would have a pretty good idea of what the defense is going to do - then you could adjust your play as necessary - going as far as saying the QB knows because they're told in their headset (ie, they're going to run double zone). Given that he's one of the best QBs ever, I'd have to say he'd know whether or not it would be an advantage.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote