Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #3401
st.cronin
General Manager

Well, except I don't know how 'valuable' her time is.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #3402
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
More to the point, she should ignore this guy altogether and stop wasting her valuable time crafting public-relation-disaster emails to non-customers.

Good point, she isn't doing any good with her posts, just causing more damage to their image. I do understand the frustration though since I'm sure they are getting slammed.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #3403
digamma
Torchbearer

Back off track...I guess we never figured out who/how the view counter was tinkered with on the reference thread. We just got to within a thousand or so views in this thread and the reference thread jumped another 3500.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #3404
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Back off track...I guess we never figured out who/how the view counter was tinkered with on the reference thread. We just got to within a thousand or so views in this thread and the reference thread jumped another 3500.

it's the council of the dark jedi. they are actively working to unbalance the force. Especially JeeberD...his midichloriens are off the scale! *

*where force=board & midicholoriens=posts
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #3405
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

The Dark Council should really look into this. The reference thread started around 55,000 when the thread started and each time this thread has gotten close, it jumped up to some ridiculous number. Someone please put a stop to this madness.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #3406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The reference thread was gaining like 70 views everytime i refreshed.

Last edited by stevew : 03-20-2006 at 04:32 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #3407
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
The reference thread was gaining like 70 views everytime i refreshed.

i just reloaded the page and the reference thread went from 91,568 to 92,000 and change.

WTF
Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #3408
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well, I just ran a quick test and discovered that anyone immature enough to put in the effort and immature enough to care that much can greatly impact the thread view count.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #3409
Ben E Lou

Dola:

Whoever is doing it went through the trouble of logging out so they can't be discovered. What a dweeb (or dweebs).
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #3410
Antmeister
Pro Starter

That is some rapid fire refreshing or however he/she/they are doing it.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #3411
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Dola:

Whoever is doing it went through the trouble of logging out so they can't be discovered. What a dweeb (or dweebs).

Maybe it's a "Deewb"!!

/hopes that's not too subtle
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #3412
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola:
What a dweeb (or dweebs).

hmmm...SkyDog is trying to tell us something...dweeb rhymes with jeeb...

edit: typo

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-20-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It would be a shame if a new version of the reference thread were to appear.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3414
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
hmmm...SkyDog is trying to tell us something...dweed rhymes with jeeb...

That's right dweeb or dweebs. Jeeb or Jeebs?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3415
Ben E Lou

Well, the good news is that the person or persons responsible certainly are helping our page view count, increasing our leverage with GameSpy to let us keep going wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the maximum usage every month. (We usually go over in the first week of every month...)
Old 03-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #3416
Franklinnoble
Banned

Can't you check the IP of guests viewing the thread?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #3417
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Can't you check the IP of guests viewing the thread?
Sure...but there are 8 of them (at least there were a moment ago). I don't care enough to do that kind of tracking down. Plus, it's not like it would be good policy to suspend someone for doing it.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #3418
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

That would certainly nip the problem.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #3419
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

lol

knives out
Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #3420
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Well, in terms of the "statistical integrity" of the page view count, I'd say that it is forever compromised. I can't say for sure, but I'm about 99.9% certain that this thread has also been artificially enhanced many times.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #3421
Anthony
Banned

i think it's the people from Matrix. by increasing the views on the reference thread they make all the fans of this thread want to keep checking back in to pad the view stats. the more people doing this the more "talk" and chatter is maintained over an otherwise horrible game that should have been forgotten the day after it came out.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #3422
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure...but there are 8 of them (at least there were a moment ago). I don't care enough to do that kind of tracking down. Plus, it's not like it would be good policy to suspend someone for doing it.

I think it would. Constant refereshing=using up bandwidth for other people=mini DoS on the board.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #3423
Ben E Lou

Way to go Erik, the anti-Jennifer:

RE: Erik - 3/20/2006 9:29:53 PM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

elmerlee,
quote:

ORIGINAL: elmerlee
Thanks for your intelligent response.And you deserve credit for not just deleting this post.Just a couple more points and I will look forward to BUYING THE GAME.

1.There is no demo for Pure-Sim anymore.True or false.

False - you can still get a demo of the 2005 version (one version old) from various sites. There is no demo for the 2005 Gold Edition, which was offered as a free upgrade by Matrix to PureSim 2005 customers. No decision has been made for the future regarding demos or lack of demos for PureSim.
quote:

2.I pay no attention what-so-ever to reviewers.The people on the forums know the game better than anyone.

My point on that was that I did not expect you or anyone else to buy the game in order to have an opinion on it, but I would advise you to realize that you might be less sure of your conclusions realizing that you have not actually played it. You made some comments as fact based on your assessment of some board comments. For customers who have played the game, these comments fit into the context of their play experience, which has been better for some than others. The upshot is that I didn't expect you'd buy the game unless reviews (in general) about it started becoming predominantly positive.
quote:

3.This is the very first game I wanted that I did not buy in the first minutes of release.Why.Because it took 5-7 years to make and I was afraid all those changes would not go smoothly. to be "piss*d" and really sound off.Buy the way - I think demos started something that companies would be better off without.

And, unfortunately, we hit some major bumps on release. I've heard a lot of other people saying things like "why don't they just drop it?", which shocks me. If anyone knows Matrix, they know that "dropping" a product is not our modus operandi. Nor is it David's and he has been putting in very long hours together with us supporting this game for our customers and improving it. While I'm more than willing to take my lumps for the release, I think that there is some consistent feedback after release which indicates we are rapidly addressing issues and heading this game in the right direction.

Our hope is that customers with doubts have an open mind and will revisit M-F in a month or two and take another look at it in six months, a year, etc. We are firm believers in supporting our customers. Keep tabs on our progress - we don't expect people to buy something they are not sure of, but we hope to erase doubts for the fence-sitters over time.
quote:

4.Fix the stats tracking (12 sacks a game etc),the ball starting from the endzone,the lack of variety in kick distances,the inability to complete certain passes,the fumbles & ints,incorrect penalty handling,and a couple minor PDS items and the game will be worth buying.

The tracking of stats in general appears to be fixed, but some specific game stats are still out of whack for one type of football or another. That's not exactly a feature unique to M-F though, but we are continually improving on that. The ball in the endzone was fixed with the first update. Kick and return distances have been improved, but adding more variability to both is an improvement (rather than a fix) that we plan on in the future. Note that short returns, medium returns and touchdown returns are all things I've seen in the post-release builds. Pass completions and coverage are areas we are looking to tweak in the third or fourth update, when we get a chance to take another look at the balance of the various parts of the game. Fumbles and INTs should be pretty much fine with the latest beta update. Penalty handling was overhauled and is much better than it was on release, at this point upgrading it further can wait. The PDS is due for some significant improvements as well in either the third or fourth update and David also plans an overhaul of it down the line.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

(

At least SOMEONE over there gets it. That's a very different response from the "buy the game NOW or shut up" that J.W. is spewing forth.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #3424
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I think it would. Constant refereshing=using up bandwidth for other people=mini DoS on the board.
1. What does DoS mean?
2. You're talking about a well-nigh unpoliceable policy. In order to police it, first off someone would have to notice a thread view count increasing, then go and see who is in the thread (and it doesn't really group them well). In a high-traffic thread such as this one, nothing can be done. There are 18 people viewing this thread as of this moment. What would I do...suspend all 18 of 'em?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #3425
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Denial of Service.. ie, they're using up bandwidth when other people are trying to log on and find it slow.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #3426
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
1. What does DoS mean?
2. You're talking about a well-nigh unpoliceable policy. In order to police it, first off someone would have to notice a thread view count increasing, then go and see who is in the thread (and it doesn't really group them well). In a high-traffic thread such as this one, nothing can be done. There are 18 people viewing this thread as of this moment. What would I do...suspend all 18 of 'em?

DoS = Denial of Service.

Basically, flooding a server with empty, useless requests, keeping it unnecessarily busy so that actual users can't reach it at all, or at least get slower response times.

I'm guessing GameSpy wouldn't appreciate the constant, pointless refreshes, either... especially if they ever got wind of what was happening.

So, while it's difficult to police, in a case such as this (with literally THOUSANDS of false views occurring), I think it's worth investigating, and taking action on... lest you piss off our hosts, and frustrate our users who have to sit through slower load times as a result of what is basically a silly read-count game.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #3427
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So, while it's difficult to police, in a case such as this (with literally THOUSANDS of false views occurring), I think it's worth investigating, and taking action on... lest you piss off our hosts, and frustrate our users who have to sit through slower load times as a result of what is basically a silly read-count game.
OK. I see what y'all are saying about traffic and the hosts, but I have no idea how to investigate/police. It happened in the reference thread earlier. There's no log of who views a thread, and when it happened, there were 8 people viewing the thread. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do abou this, feel free to PM 'em to me.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #3428
AlexB
Pro Starter

My suspicion is it's Jim - he doesn't want the MF thread to overtake the FOF thread on the game's own messageboard
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #3429
Franklinnoble
Banned

If there's no log, and no way to see the IP of a current "guest" viewer, then I have no idea how to investigate further. I think if it were to become a chronic problem, it would probably set off an alert for the technicians at GameSpy to investigate, but if it hasn't done so already, it's probably not going to.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #3430
Ben E Lou

Quote:
If there's no log, and no way to see the IP of a current "guest" viewer, then I have no idea how to investigate further. I think if it were to become a chronic problem, it would probably set off an alert for the technicians at GameSpy to investigate, but if it hasn't done so already, it's probably not going to.
Oh, I can see the IP of "guest" viewers, but if there are multiples in the thread, I have no way that I can think of to tell *which* viewer (guest or non-guest) is doing it. Even if there are only two people in a thread, both registered users, I can't think of a way to know which one is doing it.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #3431
Ben E Lou

Heh. I just got a PM. The person confessed and promised not to do it any more. Hopefully we can put this to bed.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #3432
Rizon
Pro Starter

Can someone up my post count by 5,000 for being the first person to notice this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #3433
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Heh. I just got a PM. The person confessed and promised not to do it any more. Hopefully we can put this to bed.

So it was Jeebs, wasn't it?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #3434
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Yeah... thing is, with that many views, I suspect there may be a second gunman on the grassy knoll...

Or maybe I'm just suffering from acute paranoia. Might be time to get this tinfoil hat refitted.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #3435
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
So it was Jeebs, wasn't it?

Hah, no. I do remember someone stating somewhere in this thread that he had made the reference page his homepage in order to get it more hits, but I don't know if that's the same person who confessed to SD...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #3436
st.cronin
General Manager

Will this thread make it to 100 pages?

knives out
Old 03-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #3437
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well, at least he is being upfront, but I am not quite sure why there is such a delay with something like this. It sounds strange that they have to discuss their refund policy with Digitial River to come to some sort of negotiation. I just thought you could just simply edit the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Rutins
A quick update on this. We've had several discussions with Digital River on this today and some key facts have been ascertained. However, we won't have a final answer on some of our questions from their European side until tomorrow. We plan to post again tomorrow, hopefully with a resolution on this. We're working as fast as we can with Digital River to sort this out in a fair way.

Regards,

- Erik
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #3438
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Probably asking how many refunds were given, who was responsible for it and other such fun stuff. I don't see anything bad in it
Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #3439
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Probably asking how many refunds were given, who was responsible for it and other such fun stuff. I don't see anything bad in it

I see what you are saying, but they could discuss that after they fix those web pages. In other words, why are they leaving the false refund information up to be seen by future buyers?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #3440
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ProbablyProbably that they have to provide 24 hour notice for all changes to the web page?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #3441
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Rutkins
21/03/06

A quick update on this. We've had several discussions with Digital River on this today and some key facts have been ascertained. However, we won't have a final answer on some of our questions from their European side until tomorrow. We plan to post again tomorrow, hopefully with a resolution on this. We're working as fast as we can with Digital River to sort this out in a fair way.

Regards,

- Erik

Quote:
22/03/06

Still in discussion with Digital River and hammering out the final details. We will post our statement tomorrow morning regarding the final outcome.

Regards,

- Erik

Quote:
23/03/06

A few minor issues arose with Digital River, but we are close! Look for our announcement early tomorrow morning!

Regards,

- Erik

Quote:
24/03/06

It's all looking good. Issues have been sorted out with Digital River, just waiting for the final version of the statement to be e-mailed, as it appears that our exchange server is having a few problems. Will be posting the final statement tonight.

Regards,

- Erik

Quote:
27/03/06

Hope you all had a good weekend. It's looking like a release of our statement tomorrow night is certain! See you all then!

Regards,

- Erik

Old 03-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #3442
st.cronin
General Manager

It has to be a contract situation. Otherwise it's beyond Mickey Mouse.

knives out
Old 03-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #3443
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I bet this delays the patch by at least 6 months.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #3444
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sounds like the statement's gone gold.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #3445
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wow...Erik is trying to douse every fire he can:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1092942
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1092997

Why do I have a feeling that 3rd party utilities may break the game?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #3446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow...this just in...out of the mouth of Winter himself (sorry I havn't yet figured out the cool cut n paste thing you all do with Matrix posts

Quote:
David Winter

Hi.

Were these CPU vs CPU games or was there a human player involved?

I'm going to talk to Erik to see if I can get a Public BETA section set up. What you're reporting, while valuable to me, is not really support releated because these are still BETA builds and should be considered as such.

Also, I noticed that on the high resolution stadium, the fans are not rendering properly. I've seen this only on video cards that have 64MB of ram or lower, or they share video memory with onboard memory. Am I correct in assuming this is the case with your system?

edit: for format and to add this

So Winter is basically admitting that people are paying 40-50 dollars to Beta test his game? He's saying that the game that he released and even the patches he is releasing are beta-builds??

WOW. just WOW.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-20-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #3447
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, that's rich.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #3448
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay...actually i just noticed that thread is for a beta release of the next patch that shaggyra is testing. but still...gave me a good laugh before i figured that out
Old 03-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #3449
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well that's what makes this whole process funny. Beta builds are the ones you are supposed to test out before they become official. The official patches are supposed to fix things, not introduce more problems for testing. I was so confused as I was reading that thread because he wants to make a new public beta forum to fix the errors created by his beta builds?

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-20-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #3450
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

at this point he ought to just call a spade a spade and say that the game itself is in public beta and kiss his customer's asses for paying for the privelege of beta testing it.