Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #3401
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It's crazy that the people that get the most heat don't even wrestle. The Rock, Vicky Guerrero, Michael Cole, etc.

I guess it's a product of having John Cena on TV every single week and at every PPV so it's not a big deal to see him. Back in the day it was a treat to see Hulk Hogan, they held him back enough that it was a big deal every time he was on.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #3402
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
It's crazy that the people that get the most heat don't even wrestle. The Rock, Vicky Guerrero, Michael Cole, etc.

I guess it's a product of having John Cena on TV every single week and at every PPV so it's not a big deal to see him. Back in the day it was a treat to see Hulk Hogan, they held him back enough that it was a big deal every time he was on.

This is a good point. I think its part of the reason the Undertaker always seems interesting. He takes half the year off and it seems and even when hes going full time hes not hogging the show. I am a Cena fan but his matches just arent very interesting to me as hes faced all of his top competition(other than Undertaker) so many times.

I remember Wrestlemania 3 so clearly because most of them 12 matches had storylines going that were months old and the matches despite being very short were all very interesting and hard to predict who would win. As it is now you can basically predict 80 percent of the winners in any given PPV.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #3403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That was the best 10 mins I have seen in pro wrestling in years.

Unless I'm missing a clip somewhere, there was about 6 mins of promo + 6 mins of crowd noise.

Can't find any video on wwe.com but it's split into parts on YouTube this morning, so the first 4 1/2 mins or so is the announcement & the walk down to the ring. The clip I found restarts with Rock telling Cole to sit down, etc, goes through the Cena bit, then walks back up the ramp for another nearly 2 mins.

Was that everything, or am I missing a segment? (No, I'm not ripping on you, I'm legit wondering if I saw it all).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #3404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm with the Eric Gargiulo commentary, My guess here is that they will pull something similar to Steve Austin and Mike Tyson where they teased a confrontation but Rock and Cena wind up working together in the finish at WrestleMania.

If that does turn out to be the route, I have to question where the long term gain is. Cena needs help to dispense with Punk? Certainly downgrades Cena but I'm not at all sure it elevates Punk.

At the moment at least, this seems like a bit of desperation to get WM buys. But it was good TV, a solid promo, for now it's all good I reckon.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #3405
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The Rock overrrun was well over 15 minutes, as my DVR missed the end of the show and I tape 15 minutes after the hour
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #3406
wade moore
lolzcat

Wish I had known about this.

I haven't watched wrestling in years, but The Rock back would pull me back in.

If anyone finds good video online, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #3407
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8-vf8w7pc
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #3408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Thanks, there was indeed a missing segment (or 2 or 3 or 4) from what I found earlier this morning.

edit to add: The thing that jumped out at me was the change in his catchphrase, he's now the most electrifying man in entertainment rather than sportsentertainment. I wonder how hard it is to break that habit?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-15-2011 at 08:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #3409
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Agreed - I found the video on WWE.com and it was pretty awesome.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #3410
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ditto.

Thanks for the link Neuqua.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #3411
molson
General Manager

I got a little nervous there for a second when they just showed those "mystery woman's feet" leaving the limo, but everything worked out.

I'm hopeful too that Rock will do something more interesting than a Tyson/other celebrity-esque "help the good guy beat the bad guy" bit. I think that's way beneath Rock. Seeing him run down Cena was promising (and it was fun to see the crowd spontaneously bust into a "Cena sucks" chant. The WWE has never shied away from utilizing that negative heat Cena can generate (like during that awesome RVD feud.)

Rock can make make the fans turn on anyone, and if they're already over as a heel, ala Michael Cole, the result is just tremendous TV. Cole might be my favorite WWE charater at the moment. The stuff with the Miz, the huge heel heat he gets just for saying "May I have your attention please", and "And I Quote" is just great stuff.

I loved how the first couple of "ass" comments were bleeped out, but then it seemed like the censors just gave up by the end (maybe because it was after 11.)

I was also looking around at that crowd, how young it was - I wonder how many people in the audience even remember Rock being an active wrestler. I'm sure they call got sucked in by the energy/hype and could gather that it was a huge deal.

Last edited by molson : 02-15-2011 at 10:31 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #3412
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how many people in the audience even remember Rock being an active wrestler.

That thought crossed my mind also. But absence can make legends grow too. The interesting thing to me is that it's non-wrestling fans who've talked this up on my Facebook today, nary a peep from the wrestling fans. To those nons (100% female btw) he's a charismatic sex symbol so if he's on TV then it's all good with them.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #3413
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I would hope they don't just use Rock in a generic put Cena over type bit at WM. Not too confident in WWE creative though. I would think this would be a great chance to turn Cena heel (or at least alter his character).

And The Rock is amazing on the mic. Seriously, I can't think of anyone who even comes close to him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Watched the video today. I haven't watched in years, but that 23 minutes from last night's show was FANTASTIC. Takes me back to when I was a fan. The Rock is an unbelievable entertainer. I'd pay for Wrestlemania just to see the Rock again.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #3415
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I was also looking around at that crowd, how young it was - I wonder how many people in the audience even remember Rock being an active wrestler. I'm sure they call got sucked in by the energy/hype and could gather that it was a huge deal.

My son just turned 7 and he knows all about The Rock. He has his action figure, has seen him on several DVD's. And most of all, he's played The Rock on the video games many times. So he was really excited about him being on TV last night even though The Rock had probably retired by the time my son was even born.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #3416
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Watched the video today. I haven't watched in years, but that 23 minutes from last night's show was FANTASTIC. Takes me back to when I was a fan. The Rock is an unbelievable entertainer. I'd pay for Wrestlemania just to see the Rock again.

+1
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #3417
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Wow. I JUST started this and just the initial pop he gets on the "Do" of "Do you smell..."

May sound stupid, but gives you chills. Makes me think back to when I actually liked wrestling.

I might be back in.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #3418
wade moore
lolzcat

"Barney the dinosaur's anus"

Hah. The Rock is so great.

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 02-16-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #3419
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow. I JUST started this and just the initial pop he gets on the "Do" of "Do you smell..."

May sound stupid, but gives you chills. Makes me think back to when I actually liked wrestling.

I might be back in.

Just semantics, but you mean the "If" of "If you smell..."

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #3420
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, that .

Quote:
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #3421
PilotMan
Head Coach

godDAMN that was FanFUCKINGtastic! I gotta echo the statements of others. I got the chills, couldn't keep the smile off my face, and the Rock just blew that out of the water. Wow. Easily the best 23 minutes of wrestling I have seen in years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #3422
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Best intro to a new/returning character since Jericho in the late 90s.

(Hm, I think there was a second guy involved in that one, come to think of it...)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #3423
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Jeez, when did this thread get taken over by a bunch of teenage girls?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #3424
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Jeez, when did this thread get taken over by a bunch of teenage girls?

Do you think we're teenage girls?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #3425
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'd reply but then you'd interrupt with

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK", right?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #3426
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Do you think we're teenage girls?
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT...

Dammit Foz....
Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #3427
molson
General Manager

Actually, "ability to make grown men mark out like teenage girls" is one of the rarest and most sought-after attributes in a pro wrestler.

Because let's face it, pro wrestling doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense from the perspective of a mature, discerning adult.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #3428
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

As others have said, I haven't watched wrestling in years, and hearing about this I had to find the video - and needless to say, I actually was excited. I used to love The Rock and what he can do with a mic is unparalleled. I hope this means he sticks around, but I'd be surprised (happily so) to see him do any actual wrestling.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #3429
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT...

Dammit Foz....

Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #3430
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

RAW's overrun jumped almost 1,000,000 viewers when the Rock showed up. When 1,000,000 people switch channels to watch 20 minutes of you talking, you know you can draw.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #3431
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good PPV tonight. Predictable, but entertaining. Cena will now be in the Wrestlemania Championship match for the 7th year in a row. Quite a streak.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #3432
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hopefully the build will be more about Cenas desire to win the belt and vanquish the Miz rather than jokes and goofy no selling of Miz as champion.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #3433
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

please not Cena again. i want to see the Rock kick cenas ass so bad
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #3434
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Hopefully the build will be more about Cenas desire to win the belt and vanquish the Miz rather than jokes and goofy no selling of Miz as champion.

Rock screws over Cena for the title and then drops Miz as he leaves.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3435
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
...rather than jokes and goofy no selling of Miz as champion.
Hey now, don't forget third-grade gay jokes!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #3436
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Rapper Cena just ripped off a funny little promo. He must be stepping up his game in order to compete with this best in the business.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #3437
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I think it will be Cena VS The MIZ at WM and The Rock will be the guest referee.

Yup

2 more returns tonight. I wont spoil it with who but this RAW has been very good.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #3438
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yup

2 more returns tonight. I wont spoil it with who but this RAW has been very good.

From what I understand, they won't be the only two returning for that particular angle. There will be one more.

(Don't expect it tonight, though.)

Last edited by Comey : 02-21-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #3439
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
From what I understand, they won't be the only two returning for that particular angle. There will be one more.

(Don't expect it tonight, though.)

I have a good guess on who that might be.

HBK?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #3440
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kill him, Jerry.

Not a bad way to rescue the heat for this angle.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-21-2011 at 09:38 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #3441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If they bring Andy Kaufman in for the Lawler angle, I'm definitely buying WM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #3442
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If they bring Andy Kaufman in for the Lawler angle, I'm definitely buying WM.

Haha!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #3443
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Wow, obviously Vince McMahon's statement about creating new stars is a lie. They sure sacrificed a lot of their up and comers last night in order to get their old guys a bit more momentum.

It seems like there's only two fresh guys that have any hint of a push right now. Alberto Del Rio, who they are REALLY trying to push, making him seem like a good wrestler. The Miz, who even though he is the champ, is a total afterthought at Wrestlemania and to be honest I don't think he'll benefit at all from the spotlight. It's so obvious that the focus is on Cena and The Rock.

If you look at Sheamus, he's so far gone from last Wrestlemania where he put Triple H out. Nexus, who had the hottest angle of last summer, look like they'll be used as sacrificial lambs for Orton over the next weeks. Wade Barrett, one of their top potential heels, I don't even think will be used at all? Daniel Bryan, their US Champion again was a prop to give The Miz a bit of momentum.

The problem with the WWE is that they'll try to come back to these guys later and the cheers will be more quiet, people will be sitting on their hands because they know that to get emotionally invested in these guys is a waste. Look at Evan Bourne. He was viewed by the fans as a potential Rey Mysterio level guy initially. Now he gets cheered but it's more of a "look at the cool moves" cheer vs. "he's my favorite".

Now once Wrestlemania is over and the Rock goes back to Hollywood, Undertaker disapears until Summerslam, Triple H moves to the back room, and once again they'll have no guys with credibility.

I really believe that the WWE writing team needs to be blown up. Too many old guys with their boys club that say they want to build for the future, but in reality they're more interested in hanging onto what they're comfortable with.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #3444
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Just wanted to add that I like the lineup for Wrestlemania. It's definitely one of the more hyped cards they've had in a LONG time. My comment was just to say that they're paying a high price to get there.

Molson, feel free to jump in now.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #3445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you look at Sheamus, he's so far gone from last Wrestlemania ...

Thank God for small favors.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #3446
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I agree Mota.

Last night with Sheamus. I didnt understand it at all. Just let Sheamus walk out for no apparent reason and have HHH make him look like a career jobber.

Its like the booking team decided that it didnt make sense when HHH came back last week that he didnt want revenge on Shemus so they decided this would accomplish it.

I dont understand the point of jobbing out your potential stars. Plenty of other wrestlers that currently dont work in the WWE would make fine jobbers.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #3447
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Molson, feel free to jump in now.

You know, I like the show, I think I get what they're trying to do - so I've made an early spring revolution to enjoy things at that simpler level and not engage too much in the negativity and the armchair booking, there's no point. I'm just glad they're putting on a product I personally enjoy more than anything they've done since around 2006.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #3448
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I agree Mota.

Last night with Sheamus. I didnt understand it at all. Just let Sheamus walk out for no apparent reason and have HHH make him look like a career jobber.

Its like the booking team decided that it didnt make sense when HHH came back last week that he didnt want revenge on Shemus so they decided this would accomplish it.

Kevin Dunn, the producer (I think) or RAW, does not like Sheamus whatsoever. Sheamus is something like 1-8 in TV matches this year, and has looked like garbage.

Consider him buried for now.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #3449
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just wish they weren't so hateful. If they don't like someone, fire them. Instead they seem to take such delight in humiliating workers who are putting their lives into the product.

I think that my job is full of red tape and politics, but it seems like nothing compared to the WWE. It's all about who you know and who you have watching out for you, I guess the corporate world and the WWE are exactly the same.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #3450
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I just watched some TNA footage from tonight's Impact that was taped in an arena in Fayetteville, NC, and it's hard to overstate just how much more professional TNA looks in an arena than it does in that cheesy TV studio. Even if they had to paper 85% of the crowd and move every single person to one side of the arena, they need to do this every single week. It just looks big league.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 03-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.